Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #gluster-dev, 2014-03-18

| Channels | #gluster-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:50 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
02:38 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
03:10 bharata-rao joined #gluster-dev
03:42 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
03:44 purpleidea joined #gluster-dev
03:46 itisravi joined #gluster-dev
04:00 mohankumar joined #gluster-dev
04:29 pk1 joined #gluster-dev
04:36 mohankumar joined #gluster-dev
04:40 mohankumar joined #gluster-dev
04:41 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
04:44 bala joined #gluster-dev
04:45 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
04:52 ppai joined #gluster-dev
04:57 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
05:08 kdhananjay joined #gluster-dev
05:19 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
05:23 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
05:25 bala1 joined #gluster-dev
05:45 raghu joined #gluster-dev
05:58 lalatenduM kkeithley_, ping
05:59 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
05:59 lalatenduM kkeithley_, do u think this bug https://bugzilla.redhat.co​m/show_bug.cgi?id=1076127 effects upstream also?
05:59 glusterbot Bug 1076127: urgent, urgent, RHS 3.0, rhs-bugs, NEW , Yum update/install of RHS3.0 qa build is failing on top of RHS2.1U2GA ISO
06:14 kshlm What is the current support strategy for glusterfs. Is it from version N-1 to N or N-2 to N?
06:28 mohankumar joined #gluster-dev
06:34 lalatenduM kshlm, not sure , kkeithley_ and hagarth would have better understanding I think
06:40 kshlm The question was mainly aimed at them.
06:49 kdhananjay joined #gluster-dev
07:12 bala1 joined #gluster-dev
07:13 lalatenduM kshlm, actually putting nicks in the irc msg brings more probability of getting their attention :)
07:14 kshlm I know that. But I wanted to give other people a change to answer. :)
07:25 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
07:27 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
07:29 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
08:00 kdhananjay joined #gluster-dev
08:12 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
08:13 kanagaraj joined #gluster-dev
08:48 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
10:49 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
11:20 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
11:20 pk1 joined #gluster-dev
11:21 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
11:27 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
11:31 edward1 joined #gluster-dev
11:33 ppai joined #gluster-dev
11:43 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
11:46 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
11:49 kanagaraj joined #gluster-dev
11:51 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
11:52 ira_ joined #gluster-dev
12:10 pk1 joined #gluster-dev
12:10 purpleidea joined #gluster-dev
12:12 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
12:16 itisravi joined #gluster-dev
12:21 a2 joined #gluster-dev
12:36 bala1 joined #gluster-dev
12:43 kanagaraj joined #gluster-dev
12:51 pk1 joined #gluster-dev
12:57 pk1 left #gluster-dev
13:03 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
13:06 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
13:10 tdasilva joined #gluster-dev
13:13 bala1 joined #gluster-dev
13:24 kkeithley_ lalatenduM: pong?
13:36 jclift a2: 핑
13:40 jclift purpleidea: 핑
13:47 kkeithley_ kshlm: At the last Gluster Community meeting, IIRC, it was decided that 3.3.x will EOL after 3.5.0 ships. But from a practical standpoint it's EOL now as there will almost certainly be no more fixes for 3.3.x.
13:47 lalatenduM kkeithley_, pong
13:49 kkeithley_ wrt to BZ 1076127... The current release-3.5 branch still has libgfapi-so.0 . I'm looking at master right now.
13:50 lalatenduM kkeithley_, the problem is in master
13:50 kkeithley_ Only in master..  yes
13:51 lalatenduM kkeithley_, should we fix it now, so that we wont see this issue when upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6 happens
13:51 kkeithley_ I'm thinking we might want that backported to release-3.5!
13:51 kkeithley_ yes
13:52 lalatenduM kkeithley_, what the fix you have in mind
13:53 lalatenduM s/what/what is/
13:53 kkeithley_ I meant the so versioni backported to release-3.5
13:53 kkeithley_ I don't have a fix in mind yet. I need to see why it's happening first.
13:54 lalatenduM kkeithley_, oh!ok
13:54 kkeithley_ and btw, I'll be on a plane flying home tomorrow during the community meeting
13:56 lalatenduM kkeithley_, ok,
13:56 lalatenduM kkeithley_, you will be missed
13:56 lalatenduM :)
13:56 kkeithley_ ;-)
14:00 kkeithley_ oh crud, I can't just update gluster-3.5git to gluster-3git to figure this out. rats
14:00 lalatenduM_ joined #gluster-dev
14:10 jobewan joined #gluster-dev
14:15 kkeithley_ lalatenduM: yum localinstalled release-3.5 (glusterfs-*-3.5.0-1 RPMs), then yum localupdated to master (glusterfs-*-3.6.0-1 RPMs).   libgfapi.so.0(.0.0) was updated to libgfapi.so.6(.0.0) with no issues
14:20 kkeithley_ haha.  lots of new translators have .so.0 and .so.0.0.0 in both release-3.5 and master
14:28 lalatenduM kkeithley_, I am surprised how it worked , Samba did not complain?
14:31 wushudoin| joined #gluster-dev
14:35 lalatenduM kkeithley_, here is the draft for the storage SIG http://wiki.centos.org/Special​InterestGroup/Storage/Proposal
14:36 lalatenduM kkeithley_, CentOs board has not discussed this yet
14:49 kshlm kkeithley_,thanks for clearing that up.
14:57 kkeithley_ lalatenduM: I don't have samba installed
14:57 lalatenduM kkeithley_, :) that answers the question
14:58 kkeithley_ I'll try it. give me a few minutes first
14:58 lalatenduM kkeithley_, cool
15:03 kkeithley_ yeah, fails. samba-vfs-glusterfs    ... Requires: libgfapi.so.0()(64bit)
15:06 lalatenduM kkeithley_, yeah
15:06 kkeithley_ it's not explicitly Required. Something in the autodeps is doing that.
15:07 lalatenduM kkeithley_, you mean spec file
15:08 kkeithley_ right. The samba.spec file doesn't explicitly Require libgfapi.so.0, or even glusterfs-api.  Just the BuildRequires glusterfs-api-devel
15:10 lalatenduM kkeithley_, interesting
15:28 semiosis who should I talk to about adding a record to gluster.org dns?
15:37 kkeithley_ whois tells me       ... Admin Email:domainadmin@redhat.com
15:37 kkeithley_ Or I can open a ticket with our IT dept
15:38 kkeithley_ johnmark: ^^^
15:42 semiosis kkeithley_: thanks. i'd like to get a CNAME from sonar.gluster.org to sonar.peircean.com (so I can update the IP myself later when necessary)
15:42 semiosis check it out: http://sonar.peircean.com/
15:44 kkeithley_ I wonder if that's something that should come from johnmark?
15:44 semiosis i'll email him later if he doesnt appear here in the next while
15:51 kkeithley_ lalatenduM: ndevos pointed me at this: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL:Packag​ing_Autoprovides_and_Requires_Filtering#R​emoving_items_from_the_requires_stream_.28post-scan_filtering.29 and scroll a little up for filter_from_provides
15:51 kkeithley_ we'll need to open a BZ against samba to get them to do this
15:51 johnmark semiosis: cool
15:51 johnmark semiosis: I'll have to submit a request to Red hat IT
15:52 johnmark semiosis: just give me the IP info, and I can do it
15:52 semiosis johnmark: 23.253.208.174
15:52 semiosis it's on a rackspace cloud server in the gluster account
15:52 semiosis idk how permanent those IPs are
15:53 semiosis but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.  sonar doesnt need to be HA
15:54 semiosis btw, atlassian gave us a free license for clover, their super code quality analyzer
15:54 semiosis maybe gluster.org could retweet this as a show of thanks: https://twitter.com/pragmatic​ism/status/445930896395624448
15:55 semiosis none of the open source analyzers could handle my code lol
16:07 jclift ;)
16:11 kkeithley_ lalatenduM: https://bugzilla.redhat.co​m/show_bug.cgi?id=1077816
16:11 glusterbot Bug 1077816: unspecified, unspecified, ---, gdeschner, NEW , samba-vfs-gluster needs filterrequires for libgfapi.so.6
16:26 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
16:41 kanagaraj joined #gluster-dev
16:48 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
16:49 jclift semiosis: Ahh, I didn't get that it was a part of the SonarQube setup.
16:49 jclift semiosis: Looked on the SonarQube website, and they have a C/C++ analyser too... but it's 7k Euro's, and they don't seem to have free licenses for OSS projects.
16:50 jclift Doh
16:50 semiosis i'll double check that
16:50 jclift Please do
16:50 jclift It might be useful to see what the C/C++ analyser does with the main Gluster codebase
16:51 semiosis looks like you're right
16:52 kkeithley_ is it better than Coverity?
16:55 semiosis i've only used sonar with java & php projects, and never used coverity
16:57 kkeithley_ the age old problem is how to deal with 100s or 1000s of issues when you haven't run the scans from day one
16:58 semiosis kkeithley_: tune the rules!
17:02 jclift kkeithley_: Yeah
17:09 dneary joined #gluster-dev
17:09 dneary johnmark, Ping?
17:09 dneary johnmark, I was looking for some intelligence - got any handy?
17:10 dneary johnmark, No, but seriously... can I pick your brain re RackSpace hosting, please?
17:10 semiosis dneary: general irc advice, don't ask to ask, just ask
17:10 dneary semiosis, I think I did that
17:10 dneary After the smart-alec comment & the naked ping :-)
17:11 jclift dneary: 핑
17:12 dneary jclift, I don't know what that means...
17:12 jclift dneary: Hit Google Translate with it
17:13 semiosis jclift: 탁구
17:13 jclift Heh
17:13 semiosis pong -> 탁구 -> table tennis :)
17:14 jclift *sigh*
17:14 jclift semiosis: Try 퐁
17:14 jclift Google Translate doesn't have it exact tho
17:14 jclift Calls that Fong instead of Pong
17:14 jclift (lists Pong as one of the alternatives tho)
17:15 jclift Anyway, nothing doing.  Just found them when bored (ping/pong have unicode chars) ;)
17:17 dneary ah
17:18 dneary I see
17:18 dneary Hillarious.
17:58 lpabon joined #gluster-dev
17:59 lpabon ndevos: ping
17:59 ndevos lpabon: yo!
18:00 lpabon is there anything else i need to do for https://bugzilla.redhat.co​m/show_bug.cgi?id=1076863
18:00 glusterbot Bug 1076863: medium, medium, ---, ndevos, ASSIGNED , Review Request: cmockery2 - Lightweight C unit testing framework.
18:00 ndevos lpabon: ah, I did not check the latest version yet, others kept interrupting :)
18:01 ndevos lpabon: are you familiar with fedpkg?
18:01 lpabon bummer, no, not yet
18:02 ndevos lpabon: and the red hat internal rhpkg?
18:03 lpabon im am very familiar with rhpkg
18:03 ndevos lpabon: right, fedpkg is the same, just for the fedora dist-git :)
18:03 lpabon ah, sweet
18:04 lpabon i guess i just need the dist-git repo for cmockery2, right?
18:06 ndevos yes, and you can ask for that after a packager approves your bug (I think with flag: fedora-review+), see https://fedoraproject.org/wik​i/Package_SCM_admin_requests
18:07 lpabon ndevos: which reviewer sets the flag?
18:07 ndevos lpabon: any reviewer can set it
18:08 lpabon ah.....So...
18:08 lpabon :-)
18:08 ndevos lpabon: I can check the latest spec/srpm later tonight or tomorrow morning (I'm in Amsterdam)
18:08 johnmark dneary: heya
18:08 lpabon ah no problem at all, i appreciate it
18:09 ndevos lpabon: alternatively you can ask an other packager to look at it and get get it approved (kkeithley_ maybe?)
18:10 johnmark kkeithley_: are you around? didn't know if you were in the office
18:10 lpabon ndevos: i'll ask on the bug for an update.  It has two other reviewers also
18:10 ndevos lpabon: yeah, that'll work too - from a first glance it looks quite ok now
18:11 ndevos lpabon: well, of course the release# should get incremented with each revision ;)
18:11 dneary hi johnmark
18:11 johnmark dneary: howdy
18:11 lpabon ndevos: yes, but i was told to only keep it at 1 until it becomes part of fedora
18:12 ndevos lpabon: also, you can set the release in the upstream project to 0.N, making it immediately updatable by Fedora's -1 or higher
18:12 ndevos lpabon: ok, sounds good
18:12 lpabon ndevos: ah, good point, is that what glusterfs does?
18:13 ndevos lpabon: yes, check the two release tags in the _for_fedora_koji_build if/else
18:15 lpabon ndevos: i will do that, thanks
18:15 ndevos lpabon: ttyl, I'll have some dinner now :)
18:15 lpabon ndevos: take care!
20:07 tdasilva ping semiosis
20:08 semiosis hi
20:09 tdasilva hi, i was wondering if you have tested libgfapi-java-io in a multi-thread scenario?
20:09 tdasilva and if you encountered any issues?
20:10 tdasilva the reason I ask is because I've been testing libgfapi-python and it crashes whenever trying to run my code in a python Thread class
20:14 kkeithley_ johnmark: no, I didn't come to the office; working from "home" today
20:22 semiosis tdasilva: all i've done so far are unit tests & integration tests, no performance/load tests
20:26 semiosis tdasilva: can you show me some example code or describe the test you're trying to do?
20:26 johnmark kkeithley_: ok. when are you coming to the site? do yuou know where to go?
20:27 tdasilva one sec...let me post it to etherpad
20:27 semiosis thx
20:28 jclift johnmark: Muaaa Haaaa Haaaa
20:29 tdasilva semiosis: see here http://titanpad.com/zX8qUKo7qx
20:30 kkeithley_ Citriix's offices at 49something or other Great American Parkway. I'll be there at three. Or should I come sooner. I'm probably about 15-20 minutes away
20:32 semiosis tdasilva: what is this supposed to do?  make 4 "mounts" through the API?
20:33 tdasilva yes, just for testing purposes
20:37 semiosis tdasilva: doing a real quick test, stand by
20:55 badone joined #gluster-dev
20:58 semiosis tdasilva: https://gist.github.com/semiosis/9629461
20:59 semiosis i have four files in my volume, each with ~100k chars, a b c & d
20:59 semiosis this program uses four threads to read & print one character at a time from all the files
20:59 semiosis output looks like this...
20:59 semiosis bddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddbdddcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa​aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccccccccccccccc​cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccddbddcccc
21:01 tdasilva got it...thanks for taking the time to do this
21:01 semiosis yw
21:02 tdasilva i've been reading about issues with python threads and the GIL, but it's new to me
21:02 tdasilva it seems like that could be the problem, but need to find a way to prove it
21:03 semiosis meh, just use java
21:03 tdasilva haha, good answer
21:06 jclift johnmark: Check your email. ;)
21:08 semiosis tdasilva: or jythong, if you must
21:08 semiosis lol, jythong, freudian slip?
21:10 tdasilva lol
23:01 badone joined #gluster-dev

| Channels | #gluster-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary