Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #gluster-dev, 2014-11-19

| Channels | #gluster-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:12 topshare joined #gluster-dev
00:28 topshare joined #gluster-dev
00:37 topshare joined #gluster-dev
00:42 shyam joined #gluster-dev
00:42 topshare joined #gluster-dev
01:54 _Bryan_ joined #gluster-dev
02:52 nishanth joined #gluster-dev
03:28 JustinClift kkeithley: Nope not yet.  They're in a box in the hotel room near me atm.  Doing all of the data centre cabling this Thurs/Fri, so I'll send them friday afternoon most likely.
03:28 JustinClift kkeithley: If you urgently need them sooner though, I can get them sent tomorrow instead.
03:28 JustinClift (email me to let me know, logging out in a sec from here)
03:31 topshare joined #gluster-dev
03:52 itisravi joined #gluster-dev
03:55 kanagaraj joined #gluster-dev
04:09 kshlm joined #gluster-dev
04:19 topshare joined #gluster-dev
04:26 atalur joined #gluster-dev
04:28 anoopcs joined #gluster-dev
04:28 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
04:29 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
04:48 rafi joined #gluster-dev
04:53 Gaurav_ joined #gluster-dev
05:00 pranithk joined #gluster-dev
05:01 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
05:04 atinmu joined #gluster-dev
05:06 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
05:11 topshare joined #gluster-dev
05:15 spandit joined #gluster-dev
05:18 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
05:24 soumya joined #gluster-dev
05:34 ppai joined #gluster-dev
05:35 kshlm joined #gluster-dev
05:43 davemc joined #gluster-dev
05:45 soumya joined #gluster-dev
06:01 davemc joined #gluster-dev
06:36 bala joined #gluster-dev
06:49 soumya joined #gluster-dev
07:15 hchiramm_ http://review.gluster.org/#/c/9092/ hagarth can u please merge this when u have some time.
07:18 vimal joined #gluster-dev
07:24 nkhare joined #gluster-dev
07:31 hagarth hchiramm_: done, thanks
07:32 hchiramm_ hagarth++
07:32 glusterbot hchiramm_: hagarth's karma is now 27
07:35 pranithk joined #gluster-dev
08:14 flu_ joined #gluster-dev
08:19 Debloper joined #gluster-dev
08:44 soumya_ joined #gluster-dev
08:54 pranithk joined #gluster-dev
09:01 bala joined #gluster-dev
09:11 deepakcs joined #gluster-dev
09:13 suliba joined #gluster-dev
09:13 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
09:24 Debloper joined #gluster-dev
09:28 hchiramm_ Debloper++ thanks for the mail!
09:28 glusterbot hchiramm_: Debloper's karma is now 3
09:28 hchiramm_ Debloper, 5:30 IST :)
09:28 Debloper hchiramm_: you're welcome... let's get that rolling.
09:28 Debloper sure thing.
09:28 hchiramm_ indeed
09:45 ppai joined #gluster-dev
09:52 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
10:14 deepakcs joined #gluster-dev
10:27 soumya_ joined #gluster-dev
10:31 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
10:43 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
10:47 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
11:12 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
11:12 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
11:15 ira joined #gluster-dev
11:38 aravinda_ joined #gluster-dev
11:40 davemc Gluster community meeting in 20 minutes, on #gluster-meeting
11:55 nkhare joined #gluster-dev
11:57 shyam joined #gluster-dev
12:01 soumya_ joined #gluster-dev
12:05 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
12:15 jdarcy joined #gluster-dev
12:15 bala joined #gluster-dev
12:16 itisravi_ joined #gluster-dev
12:25 lalatenduM ndevos, need ur help on a spec file change
12:27 kkeithley ?
12:28 kkeithley lalatenduM: what's the change?
12:28 * kkeithley is curious. (and nosy ;-))
12:28 lalatenduM kkeithley, ohh you are here , I thought you are not up yet :)
12:29 * ndevos _o/ lalatenduM
12:29 lalatenduM kkeithley, as you are in #gluster-meeting
12:29 kkeithley I'm alive, awake, alert, and enthusiastic
12:30 lalatenduM kkeithley, haha
12:30 lalatenduM kkeithley, ndevos the same regression-tests rpm stuff
12:30 lalatenduM is the issue I wanted to disscuss
12:30 hagarth ndevos++
12:30 glusterbot hagarth: ndevos's karma is now 56
12:35 tdasilva joined #gluster-dev
12:44 edward1 joined #gluster-dev
12:58 kkeithley so, regression-tests rpm stuff?
13:01 bala1 joined #gluster-dev
13:02 lalatenduM kkeithley, yes
13:04 kkeithley what is the "stuff"
13:04 kkeithley ?
13:11 Guest93044 joined #gluster-dev
13:12 ndevos lalatenduM: sure, lets discuss!
13:16 aravinda_ joined #gluster-dev
13:45 lalatenduM ndevos, kkeithley was in a meeting (telephonic) , will grab something to eat . will be back after 5 mins
13:47 ndevos lalatenduM: I'll get something to eat now too, but that'll take a little longer
13:47 lalatenduM ndevos, works for me
13:47 kkeithley no prob
13:48 ndevos kkeithley will be here though, not sure whats to discuss, but maybe you dont need me anyway :)
13:50 kkeithley AFAIK this is just removing the tests (that are installed by `make install`) so that rpmbuild doesn't abort when it finds files that are not in the now unpackaged %files regression-tests
13:51 kkeithley finds files that are in _in_ %files regression-tests
13:51 kkeithley in in in in in %files regression-tests. ;-)
13:52 nishanth joined #gluster-dev
13:52 kkeithley whatever. I think you get my drift
13:52 kkeithley get my meaning
13:52 anoopcs joined #gluster-dev
14:07 JustinClift Wifi in this hotel room is a lot better than yesterday's.  Should be able to get stuff done today. :)
14:08 kkeithley kewl
14:08 topshare joined #gluster-dev
14:09 topshare joined #gluster-dev
14:11 shyam joined #gluster-dev
14:12 topshare joined #gluster-dev
14:13 lalatenduM kkeithley, yeah thats what I had discussed yesterday, but thats not working
14:14 kkeithley JustinClift: so.....  a big part of my reasoning for putting this machine in _our_ DC was to avoid having to pay. Whether it's paying for Rackspace, or anything else
14:15 kkeithley lalatenduM: I just cobbled up something. scratch build running at /home/kkeithle/src/fedora-scm/gluste​rfs/glusterfs-3.6.1-1.fc22.src.rpm. Hopefully it works.   Give me a sec and I'll fpaste the diff
14:15 lalatenduM kkeithley, ok , watching the build
14:16 kkeithley http://paste.fedoraproject.org/152139/64065471
14:17 bala joined #gluster-dev
14:17 kkeithley meh, scratch build is http://koji.fedoraproject.org​/koji/taskinfo?taskID=8186293
14:18 lalatenduM kkeithley, yeah you are doing few thing differently
14:18 lalatenduM kkeithley, my diffs are here http://www.fpaste.org/152141/06727141/
14:19 lalatenduM hchiramm_, hchiramm ^^
14:20 kkeithley oh, that's basically the same.
14:20 * kkeithley wonders why that didn't work
14:21 lalatenduM kkeithley, in ur diff line 36 is different than mine
14:24 kkeithley hmm. I still got a regression-tests rpm
14:25 FrankLu joined #gluster-dev
14:25 lalatenduM kkeithley, yeah
14:27 * kkeithley is trying something slightly different
14:27 kkeithley http://koji.fedoraproject.org​/koji/taskinfo?taskID=8186383
14:27 kkeithley let's see what happens
14:28 topshare joined #gluster-dev
14:28 lalatenduM kkeithley, ok
14:28 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
14:33 kkeithley bah, that didn't work either.
14:36 kkeithley why not
14:41 lalatenduM kkeithley, here is the one I tried http://koji.fedoraproject.org​/koji/taskinfo?taskID=8186438
14:42 lalatenduM kkeithley, it is similar to your and worked fine
14:42 kkeithley and it worked
14:42 kkeithley i.e. no regression-test rpm
14:42 kkeithley diff?
14:43 lalatenduM kkeithley, http://paste.fedoraproject.org/152149/14164081/
14:43 kkeithley perfect
14:44 ndevos lalatenduM++ you're faster then me
14:44 glusterbot ndevos: lalatenduM's karma is now 45
14:44 ndevos http://paste.fedoraproject.org/152150/14164082 was my solution
14:44 lalatenduM kkeithley, did we have any difference in the changes
14:45 _Bryan_ joined #gluster-dev
14:45 kkeithley both yours and ndevos' diffs look the same
14:45 kkeithley ship it
14:45 kkeithley ndevos++
14:45 glusterbot kkeithley: ndevos's karma is now 57
14:45 kkeithley lalatenduM++
14:45 glusterbot kkeithley: lalatenduM's karma is now 46
14:45 lalatenduM kkeithley, I thought yours s also same
14:45 ndevos kkeithley++ thanks for the review :D
14:45 glusterbot ndevos: kkeithley's karma is now 42
14:45 kkeithley something about my _without_regression_tests wasn't right I guess
14:46 kkeithley anyway, we have a working solution.
14:46 lalatenduM ndevos, kkeithley I had missed "find ./tests ./run-tests.sh -type f | cpio -pd %{buildroot}%{_prefix}/share/glusterfs" in my previous trials and then included a rm -rf to delete the files which was not working :(
14:46 lalatenduM and I was scratching my heads
14:47 lalatenduM i mean head :)
14:47 kkeithley now bloody NetBSD configure doesn't like UNITTEST
14:47 kkeithley ./configure[12622]: syntax error: `UNITTEST,' unexpected
14:47 lalatenduM kkeithley++
14:47 glusterbot lalatenduM: kkeithley's karma is now 43
14:47 kkeithley I have cmockery2 built and installed
14:47 kkeithley two heads are better than one. ;-)
14:48 lalatenduM kkeithley, yeah  ndevos++ thanks to you too :0)
14:48 glusterbot lalatenduM: ndevos's karma is now 58
14:49 ndevos kkeithley: one day I hope can move from cmockery2 to the cmocka fork from the samba guys
14:52 kkeithley Anything that's widely accepted. IOW has packages on all the major systems and doesn't require me to download-or-clone and build, and then not work
14:53 ndevos cmocka seems to have been tested on a wide range of OS's
14:54 ndevos we do not have many cmockery2 test cases now, changing should be relatively simple
14:54 kkeithley Sounds perfect.
14:54 ndevos if only a day would have some more hours in it...
14:54 * kkeithley needs a clone or three
14:54 ndevos they both are a fork from the cmockery project, most functionalities should be the same
14:54 * kkeithley himself
14:55 bala joined #gluster-dev
14:55 * ndevos would like 3+ clones, it would cover all timezones
14:56 kkeithley I like the idea of having avatars in the vworld, along the lines of what Iain M. Banks described in, I think, his book Feersum Endjinn.
14:58 kanagaraj joined #gluster-dev
15:04 lalatenduM kkeithley, ndevos interesting thoughts , what abt bots with AI as the original human :)
15:06 JustinClift kkeithley: Understood about that having to pay.  When people are discussing spending US$10k+ just to avoid having to unrack the existing servers though "because it's easier to just buy", I kind of think that argument may be moot
15:06 kkeithley In Feersum Endjinn, you had nine avatars. You could synch with them periodically and accumulate or integrate the experiences they'd had into your own. Your avatars could be killed. Once all nine were dead then you die ITRW.
15:07 JustinClift And $10k can fit $200/month in it for a lot of months :/
15:07 lalatenduM kkeithley, :)
15:07 JustinClift kkeithley: I would so cheat with that.  I'd back my avatars ;)
15:07 JustinClift backup
15:09 kkeithley yeah, but unracking 8U is free, and the shipping is negligible. (And we already unracked and shipped the whole kit and kaboodle once from the old Gluster Sunnyvale lab. A sunk cost, but still...)
15:10 kkeithley and the storage BU doesn't have $10K to spend
15:11 kkeithley I can probably drive them to RDU myself probably for less than what we'll pay to ship them though.
15:11 kkeithley BTW, did you send those IB cables back yet?
15:14 wushudoin joined #gluster-dev
15:14 kkeithley If the dollar keeps getting strong, we might see another $1=£1 like in 1985.
15:15 * kkeithley wishes he'd had money in 1985 to have bought £s
15:16 kkeithley $1=£1 again is probably too much to hope for though
15:17 * ndevos notices he does not have a Euro symbol on his keyboard
15:18 kkeithley € me neither
15:21 ndevos kkeithley: obviously! http://i.imgur.com/JJjjuBz.png
15:21 kkeithley I do `xmodmap -e 'keysym XF86Tools = Multi_key'`,  then ScrollLock+C+=
15:22 ndevos I dont think it workd
15:22 ndevos +e
15:22 kkeithley sorry, yes, +e
15:22 ndevos oh, yes, both of us
15:22 kkeithley should have been `xmodmap -e 'keysym Scroll_Lock = Multi_key'`
15:22 soumya_ joined #gluster-dev
15:23 ndevos no, you were not missing an 'e', I think
15:23 kkeithley €  £  ¥
15:23 kkeithley euro, pound, yen
15:23 ndevos I used to map my Alt keys to Multi_key... maybe I should do that again
15:24 ndevos no, thats only pound + yen for me
15:24 kkeithley curious
15:24 ndevos I think it is screen or irssi on rhel6 that breaks it
15:27 ndevos wohooo, http://review.gluster.org/9108 passed regression testing! someone wants to review and merge it?
15:49 tdasilva joined #gluster-dev
15:49 kshlm joined #gluster-dev
15:54 bala joined #gluster-dev
16:01 lpabon joined #gluster-dev
16:03 bala joined #gluster-dev
16:16 jobewan joined #gluster-dev
16:35 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
16:46 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
17:18 anoopcs joined #gluster-dev
17:24 anoopcs joined #gluster-dev
17:29 anoopcs joined #gluster-dev
18:06 nishanth joined #gluster-dev
18:07 kkeithley is git.gluster.org having problems?
18:13 hchiramm ping works and its serving via http :) kkeithley
18:15 hchiramm nishanth++ thanks !!
18:15 glusterbot hchiramm: nishanth's karma is now 1
18:16 kkeithley seems slow, getting had fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly during rfc.sh rebase. But it's working now
18:17 hchiramm kkeithley, oh..ok
18:18 kkeithley still seems slow
18:18 hchiramm "This is again broken after RHBA-2014:1875 on RHSS 3. It was fixed for a while after Niels' last post. Tried to run update today, and got a bunch of libvirt conflicts. "
18:19 hchiramm gluster-users thread with subject "RHEL6.6 provides Gluster 3.6.0-28.2 ?" :(
18:19 kkeithley bleh, typing...  seems slow, had a "fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly" during a rfc.sh rebase
18:21 hchiramm nevermind as long as other can understand
18:46 tdasilva joined #gluster-dev
19:02 kkeithley Oh yeah, I can do that.
20:13 tdasilva joined #gluster-dev
20:17 kkeithley davemc: did I hear correctly that RHS won't budge on their RPM names?
20:18 kkeithley In the OSAS interview
20:22 davemc kkeithley, they will,
20:22 davemc just need to understand the best approach
20:23 davemc but the push back has been hard.  Mostly pointing out it's a RHEl issue, not Storage
20:23 davemc I may have misspoke saying storage
20:30 kkeithley right now RHEL and RHS both ship RPMs with names like glusterfs-3.6.0.33-1.el6rhs.x86_64.rpm.   Community RPMs have names like glusterfs-3.6.1-1.el6.x86_64.rpm. While there's a "rhs" there, it's not used by yum do distinguish (or disambiguate) the packages.
20:31 kkeithley I think I actually commented, way back when, that this could be a problem. Might have been waved away with something like a comment to the effect that downstream versions would always be behind upstream. Maybe not though, and it doesn't matter whether I did or didn't.
20:34 kkeithley Another assertion, back in the day, was that nobody using RHS bits should (would be allowed to) use third party repos, e.g. EPEL or download.gluster.org, and thus Supported customers would not encounter this.
20:34 kkeithley I think we've debunked both of those though.
20:36 kkeithley My solution then, and now, is that their RPM names should be something like rh-gluster-.... or rhs-gluster-...
20:36 kkeithley And not having heard any other proposals.....
20:37 kkeithley Anyway, that's my take on it.
20:47 davemc kkeithley, agreed
21:19 glusterbot joined #gluster-dev
21:52 badone joined #gluster-dev
22:11 badone joined #gluster-dev

| Channels | #gluster-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary