Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #gluster-dev, 2014-11-25

| Channels | #gluster-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:21 shyam joined #gluster-dev
00:23 mikedep333 joined #gluster-dev
01:11 topshare joined #gluster-dev
01:31 baojg joined #gluster-dev
01:32 bala joined #gluster-dev
02:18 Guest95118 joined #gluster-dev
02:47 Gaurav_ joined #gluster-dev
02:59 kdhananjay joined #gluster-dev
03:38 kshlm joined #gluster-dev
03:45 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
03:45 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
03:56 soumya joined #gluster-dev
03:58 bharata-rao joined #gluster-dev
04:03 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
04:07 kanagaraj joined #gluster-dev
04:09 itisravi joined #gluster-dev
04:19 baojg joined #gluster-dev
04:32 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
04:33 deepakcs joined #gluster-dev
04:35 anoopcs joined #gluster-dev
04:36 rafi1 joined #gluster-dev
04:37 Rafi_kc joined #gluster-dev
04:39 kanagaraj joined #gluster-dev
04:41 baojg joined #gluster-dev
04:49 atinmu joined #gluster-dev
04:50 spandit joined #gluster-dev
04:53 badone joined #gluster-dev
04:53 nkhare joined #gluster-dev
04:54 _Bryan_ joined #gluster-dev
04:54 Guest54557 joined #gluster-dev
05:12 baojg joined #gluster-dev
05:12 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
05:12 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
05:18 pp joined #gluster-dev
05:22 baojg joined #gluster-dev
05:24 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
05:29 ppai joined #gluster-dev
05:34 Humble joined #gluster-dev
05:43 vimal joined #gluster-dev
05:45 raghu` joined #gluster-dev
05:47 kdhananjay joined #gluster-dev
05:52 soumya joined #gluster-dev
05:55 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
06:03 pranithk joined #gluster-dev
06:04 ppai joined #gluster-dev
06:05 baojg joined #gluster-dev
06:24 nishanth joined #gluster-dev
06:30 baojg joined #gluster-dev
06:33 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
06:43 bala joined #gluster-dev
06:44 atalur joined #gluster-dev
06:55 atalur joined #gluster-dev
07:17 atalur joined #gluster-dev
07:31 Debloper joined #gluster-dev
07:45 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
08:27 baojg joined #gluster-dev
08:53 baojg joined #gluster-dev
09:21 baojg joined #gluster-dev
09:23 ppai joined #gluster-dev
09:53 deepakcs joined #gluster-dev
10:02 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
10:05 topshare joined #gluster-dev
10:05 topshare joined #gluster-dev
10:14 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
10:16 pranithk joined #gluster-dev
10:38 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
10:56 Rafi_kc joined #gluster-dev
10:56 rafi1 joined #gluster-dev
11:00 rafi1 joined #gluster-dev
11:31 kkeithley1 joined #gluster-dev
11:55 lalatenduM Gluster Community Bug Triage meeting in #gluster-meeting in another 5 mins
11:55 lalatenduM Agenda: https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/gluster-bug-triage
11:55 hagarth lalatenduM: I will be joining a few minutes late
11:56 lalatenduM hagarth, np
11:56 lalatenduM Humble, kkeithley are you around for the triage meeting
12:02 soumya joined #gluster-dev
12:05 pranithk joined #gluster-dev
12:09 nkhare joined #gluster-dev
12:30 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
12:34 itisravi_ joined #gluster-dev
12:42 anoopcs joined #gluster-dev
12:47 edward1 joined #gluster-dev
12:48 pranithk left #gluster-dev
12:56 hagarth lalatenduM++
12:56 glusterbot hagarth: lalatenduM's karma is now 49
12:58 raghu` joined #gluster-dev
13:01 * hagarth is on the bitrot hangout now
13:06 hagarth davemc: do you need to start the hangout?
13:07 hagarth davemc: I can hear you talk but cannot reply back.. same with overclk I presume
13:08 davemc having problems it seems
13:09 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
13:11 davemc video seems dead
13:11 hagarth davemc: start a new one?
13:13 davemc trying
13:13 hagarth davemc: overclk is also trying to start one
13:15 davemc getting an error that says try in 30 minutes
13:17 kkeithley_ same here. I'm signed into the googles. I can see and hear Dave.
13:18 overclk joined #gluster-dev
13:18 Humble I too can hear & see davemc
13:18 kaushal_ joined #gluster-dev
13:18 overclk davemc, are you on the hangout session?
13:19 kshlm joined #gluster-dev
13:19 kkeithley_ I guess I need the google hangout plugin
13:20 davemc now the start button has gone missing
13:21 kkeithley_ nope, plugin doesn't change anything
13:22 davemc severe fail
13:23 hagarth overclk: can you start your hangout?
13:23 hagarth i mean the event you created?
13:23 Humble overclk, please share the event link
13:24 hagarth or should we move the event to say, something like Thursday, and do a dry run tomorrow?
13:25 overclk hagarth, trying./
13:25 davemc we should move it and try a dry run. Thursday is a major US holiday
13:26 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
13:27 hagarth davemc:  right, I missed that. maybe move this to after the holidays?
13:27 shyam joined #gluster-dev
13:28 overclk hangout link: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/event/cfe1sula0qlvckl79hus8lq2hig
13:28 davemc we have a few people in the hangout, venky, kaleb, me
13:29 davemc but I think rescheduling is the best
13:29 kkeithley_ new link, and I had to unblock the plugin
13:29 raghu` joined #gluster-dev
13:29 hagarth use this as a trial run?
13:29 kumar joined #gluster-dev
13:30 eljrax What's the state of the libgfchangelog translator?
13:31 eljrax I can see it in my volfile, but the examples (https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/tree/release-3.6/xlators/features/changelog/lib/examples/c) doesn't work on account of it trying to read a socket which doesn't appear to exist
13:32 eljrax The translator has this option: option changelog-dir /var/lib/glusterfs/gvolume1/.glusterfs/changelogs
13:32 eljrax But that's empty, bar two empty directories
13:32 eljrax csnap and htime
13:35 davemc google just dropped me
13:38 topshare joined #gluster-dev
13:46 kshlm https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/hoaevent/AP36tYctngWzGGGYTWY0a4bUV9kpTgrPie0gBRpbJ0WKnmuVmeoXww
13:46 kshlm This is test run 2.
13:47 overclk joined #gluster-dev
13:52 baojg joined #gluster-dev
13:52 kshlm Hangouts on air seems to be working fine.
13:53 overclk eljrax: libgfchangelog is the shared library for journal notifications.
13:53 overclk eljrax: in the example C code, did you change the brick path?
13:54 eljrax Yeah
13:54 hagarth kshlm: yes
13:54 eljrax overclk: The log says: connecting to changelog socket: /var/run/gluster/changelog-770dbdc59b508d05c166503e8a7f2c70.sock
13:54 eljrax And I can't seem to find a socket belonging to changelog anywhere
13:54 hagarth Humble++
13:54 glusterbot hagarth: Humble's karma is now 18
13:54 overclk eljrax, is changelogging enabled?
13:54 eljrax Running glusterfs-3.6.1
13:55 eljrax Yeah, as far as I know. I can see the translator in the volume file
13:55 overclk eljrax, by default changelog is disabled, it just sits there in the volfile and behaves as a passthrough until it's enabled.
13:57 eljrax So how do I enable it?
13:57 eljrax Apologies if that's really clearly mentioned somewhere I've missed :)
13:58 overclk eljrax, it's a volume set option [# gluster volume set <volname> changelog on]
14:01 eljrax Oh, right! It can connect now
14:02 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
14:10 eljrax I think RH India office just took a nose-dive?
14:18 overclk joined #gluster-dev
14:18 eljrax overclk: wb, and thanks for the help
14:19 eljrax So is the intended workflow from a user point of view here that I should listen for changelogs, and open them and parse them manually?
14:19 eljrax As and when I receive them
14:26 shyam joined #gluster-dev
14:31 overclk eljrax, yep, as of now (as that's the high level API)
14:32 overclk eljrax, there are plans to introduce lowlevel APIs which are purely callback based and the consumer need not know the changelog format.
14:33 overclk eljrax, similar to inotify(7)
14:36 eljrax That would be amazing
14:42 hagarth overclk: one could potentially introduce chargeback for these events in a public cloud and hey we have something similar to AWS Lambda :)
14:43 dlambrig joined #gluster-dev
14:45 eljrax hagarth: That's actually similar to what I'm working on
14:47 hagarth eljrax: awesome, good luck with that! Do let us know how it goes.
14:48 eljrax Will do! From initial test though, it seems like changelog creation may be a tad slow
14:48 eljrax The delay between event and log is quite long
14:49 overclk eljrax, yep, that because event publishing is interval based (15 secs by default)
14:50 overclk eljrax, plan is to make it close to realtime (actually, realtime w.r.t. how fast the consumer can consume the changes)
14:50 eljrax Any rough timeline? Because at the moment I'm thinking I need to create my own translator
14:51 eljrax But if you guys are a week away, that might be time wasted
14:51 eljrax for me
14:52 overclk eljrax, well, a weeks time would be too tight. planning for first cut somewhere in mid december.
14:53 eljrax Hm alright. How backwards compatible are translators, and how easy are they to build stand-alone to to speak? Are they tied to a particular version they're built against or anything like that ?
14:57 hagarth eljrax: translators normally work across glusterfs releases without much change. The translator signatures have been fairly stable for a while.
14:58 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
15:00 jobewan joined #gluster-dev
15:01 eljrax So you can chuck the .so into the translator directory for most versions
15:02 eljrax Might go down that route then
15:02 eljrax Thanks
15:08 kshlm joined #gluster-dev
15:18 wushudoin joined #gluster-dev
15:28 soumya joined #gluster-dev
15:43 shyam joined #gluster-dev
16:30 anoopcs joined #gluster-dev
16:31 eljrax Man it's hard work this.. Am I missing some giant, sweet document on how to write translators?
16:31 eljrax Or is one meant to go hunting for things in examples, github and whatnot ?
17:01 kkeithley_ I'm not sure how sweet it really is, but you could look for the slides from talks I've given at various LinuxCons about writing translators.  If you can't find it ping me and I'll try to track down a copy
17:01 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
17:03 Gaurav_ joined #gluster-dev
17:09 eljrax kkeithley_: I found one of your slide decks.. the one saying "Here there be dragons" and "Documentation? :-("
17:09 eljrax heh fitting! :)
17:21 baojg_ joined #gluster-dev
17:35 baojg joined #gluster-dev
17:40 eljrax "The source is the documentation, sometimes it's pretty impenetrable" amen to that
17:43 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
17:48 lalatenduM joined #gluster-dev
17:49 Gaurav__ joined #gluster-dev
18:28 kkeithley_ that slide deck is the documentation. :-}
19:02 eljrax I'll keep looking though the stuff, but if someone knows from the top of their head how I can get the name of the file that was created in the callback function, that'd be awesome
19:02 eljrax I can get it from the loc in the create one, but that's not in the callback..
19:42 baojg joined #gluster-dev
21:26 badone joined #gluster-dev
21:29 badone_ joined #gluster-dev
21:30 baojg joined #gluster-dev
21:54 tdasilva joined #gluster-dev
22:19 dlambrig left #gluster-dev
22:24 avati joined #gluster-dev

| Channels | #gluster-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary