Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #gluster-dev, 2016-10-26

| Channels | #gluster-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:11 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
01:28 sankarshan_away joined #gluster-dev
01:48 ilbot3 joined #gluster-dev
01:48 Topic for #gluster-dev is now Gluster Development Channel - http://gluster.org | For general chat go to #gluster | Patches - http://review.gluster.org/ | Channel Logs - https://botbot.me/freenode/gluster-dev/ & http://irclog.perlgeek.de/gluster-dev/
03:04 arpu joined #gluster-dev
03:07 nishanth joined #gluster-dev
03:11 purpleidea kshlm: yo what time is our meeting?
03:17 Muthu joined #gluster-dev
03:24 nbalacha joined #gluster-dev
03:25 kshlm purpleidea, It's in 5 minutes from now.
03:25 purpleidea kshlm: can we postpone by 10 min more?
03:26 kshlm Cool.
03:26 purpleidea ill ping when i'm back
03:32 spalai joined #gluster-dev
03:41 purpleidea kshlm: hey i'm rdy when you are
03:41 kshlm We're already online.
03:41 kshlm We as in ppai and me.
03:41 ppai joined #gluster-dev
03:42 kshlm https://bluejeans.com/u/kmadappa
03:42 kshlm ^ Join here.
03:43 purpleidea joined
03:46 itisravi joined #gluster-dev
03:49 mchangir joined #gluster-dev
03:51 spalai left #gluster-dev
03:55 kshlm purpleidea, Did you just get disconnected?
04:02 ashiq joined #gluster-dev
04:08 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
04:21 atinm joined #gluster-dev
04:23 riyas joined #gluster-dev
04:24 itisravi joined #gluster-dev
04:34 purpleidea kshlm: hey
04:38 purpleidea hey
04:38 purpleidea my wifi died again
04:48 aravindavk_ joined #gluster-dev
04:51 apandey joined #gluster-dev
04:59 purpleidea ppai: o hai
04:59 ppai purpleidea, hi :)
04:59 purpleidea prashanth?
04:59 purpleidea cool!
05:13 aravindavk joined #gluster-dev
05:14 prasanth joined #gluster-dev
05:20 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
05:21 ndarshan joined #gluster-dev
05:21 ppai joined #gluster-dev
05:22 karthik_us joined #gluster-dev
05:22 ankitraj joined #gluster-dev
05:23 gem__ joined #gluster-dev
05:27 itisravi joined #gluster-dev
05:28 Bhaskarakiran joined #gluster-dev
05:33 purpleidea kshlm: /cc ppai: sent out stupid status email to all of my management folks and ric, sorry for the long email, but it will hopefully keep them off my back for a bit so I can focus on code :)
05:33 sanoj joined #gluster-dev
05:34 rafi joined #gluster-dev
05:34 kdhananjay joined #gluster-dev
05:41 riyas joined #gluster-dev
05:46 kotreshhr joined #gluster-dev
05:49 hchiramm joined #gluster-dev
05:50 pranithk1 joined #gluster-dev
05:50 spalai joined #gluster-dev
05:51 hgowtham joined #gluster-dev
05:55 kshlm atinm++ thanks for your update mail!
05:55 glusterbot kshlm: atinm's karma is now 69
05:55 atinm kshlm, :)
05:58 Saravanakmr joined #gluster-dev
06:13 spalai joined #gluster-dev
06:14 mchangir joined #gluster-dev
06:20 ppai kshlm, I've opened an issue on etcd repo with a reproducer: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/issues/6733
06:22 kshlm ppai, Cool. Let's track this in GD2 as well. Link to this issue in either a new issue, or in your PR.
06:23 poornima_ joined #gluster-dev
06:24 ppai kshlm, done
06:37 gem__ joined #gluster-dev
06:41 rraja joined #gluster-dev
06:43 asengupt joined #gluster-dev
06:44 devyani7_ joined #gluster-dev
06:47 poornima_ joined #gluster-dev
06:47 apandey joined #gluster-dev
06:49 hchiramm_ joined #gluster-dev
06:49 msvbhat joined #gluster-dev
06:50 nishanth joined #gluster-dev
06:54 nbalacha joined #gluster-dev
07:00 mchangir joined #gluster-dev
07:10 ankitraj joined #gluster-dev
07:12 devyani7_ joined #gluster-dev
07:24 purpleidea pranithk1: o hai
07:24 pranithk1 purpleidea: hey!! how are ya dude?
07:24 purpleidea i'm good, how you been?
07:25 pranithk1 purpleidea: excellent! what are you working on nowadays?
07:25 purpleidea mostly the mgmt stuff
07:26 purpleidea patches welcome :)
07:26 purpleidea pranithk1: what do you think of ppai? is he a star hacker ;)
07:27 ppai purpleidea, aha ;)
07:27 purpleidea oh crap, he saw :P
07:28 pranithk1 purpleidea: I had good experience when I worked with him...
07:28 purpleidea pranithk1: i'm sure he's cool. i'm just fooling around b/c we chatted today. he's joining the temporary cult of mgmt hackers (at least for now)
07:29 pranithk1 purpleidea: may the force be with you
07:30 purpleidea ppai: btw, i thought about the idea of breaking out the etcd parts, and I think it would definitely need some more test cases as one of the pre-req's, just an idea which might help.
07:43 purpleidea okay, code and then bed! night gluster folks
07:45 tori joined #gluster-dev
07:45 aravindavk pranithk|afk: many patches still open for 3.9, what time we can tag 3.9rc2 http://review.gluster.org/#/q/status:open+project:glusterfs+branch:release-3.9
07:48 tori hello, if i want to have rdma volume, Do i must have gNFS on server?(with Fuse client)
08:29 gem joined #gluster-dev
08:30 riyas joined #gluster-dev
08:55 hchiramm joined #gluster-dev
08:57 pranithk aravindavk: I think we can go ahead and tag. There will always be more patches
08:59 pranithk kshlm: There is a document about how to tag and trigger the builds right? Do you have the link?
09:01 magrawal joined #gluster-dev
09:02 kshlm pranithk, https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Contributors-Guide/GlusterFS-Release-process/
09:02 kshlm ^ is this what you're thinking about?
09:06 pranithk aravindavk: ^^ in the link above you need to follow "Release procedure"
09:06 pranithk kshlm: We shouldn't launch the build job right?
09:06 pranithk kshlm: For RC
09:06 kshlm Nope.
09:07 pranithk aravindavk: Don't do the step-4) create the tarball with the release job in Jenkins
09:07 kshlm Just make sure you guys tag the release as kkeithley requested.
09:07 pranithk aravindavk: ^^
09:07 kshlm pranithk, You should do that!
09:07 kshlm Otherwise how are packagers supposed to build packages?
09:07 pranithk kshlm: But won't it push things to stable releases?
09:07 pranithk kshlm: Who pushes rpms to stable releases?
09:08 kshlm kkeithley does it for download.gluster.org.
09:08 kshlm ndevos does it for centos-ci.
09:08 kshlm s/centos-ci/centos storage-sig/
09:08 pranithk kshlm: oh okay...
09:08 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
09:21 kshlm I've got quite a few updates filled in for today's meeting.
09:22 kshlm Updates are still missing for release-3.8, infra, ganesha and samba. Could the owners of these please add updates to https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/gluster-community-meetings
09:22 kshlm Please do it before the meeting starts in 2.5 hours from now.
09:22 rastar joined #gluster-dev
09:56 nishanth joined #gluster-dev
09:57 poornima_ joined #gluster-dev
10:29 pranithk|afk aravindavk: Hey, send me a mail if you run into any problems... I can take a look at them after 7:30PM today...
10:30 aravindavk pranithk: ok, let me try in some time
10:30 pranithk aravindavk: cool. I will be off now...
10:32 tori joined #gluster-dev
10:32 tori hello, if i want to have rdma volume, Do i must have gNFS on server?(with Fuse client)
10:46 msvbhat joined #gluster-dev
10:47 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
10:52 poornima_ joined #gluster-dev
11:04 nishanth joined #gluster-dev
11:28 jiffin tori: are u stiil der?
11:29 kshlm #alert Weekly community meeting will start in 30 minutes
11:29 gem joined #gluster-dev
11:30 kkeithley jenkins release job creates the tarball and puts it on bits.gluster.org.
11:30 kkeithley Or has that changed?
11:32 kshlm kkeithley, It should still be doing it.
11:35 kshlm nigelb, Where do the build.g.o JJB files live now?
11:35 kshlm They're no longer present in glusterfs-patch-acceptance-tests
11:38 jiffin1 joined #gluster-dev
11:41 asengupt joined #gluster-dev
11:48 guest_ joined #gluster-dev
11:49 hgowtham joined #gluster-dev
11:49 ashiq_afk joined #gluster-dev
11:52 kdhananjay joined #gluster-dev
11:52 ShwethaHP joined #gluster-dev
11:55 sankarshan joined #gluster-dev
11:57 guest_ can i change a distributed volume to striped?
11:57 luizcpg joined #gluster-dev
11:57 jiffin guest_: can u change distribute into shard
11:57 jiffin I mean u can change distribute into shard
11:58 jiffin guest_: http://staged-gluster-docs.readthedocs.io/en/release3.7.0beta1/Features/shard/
11:59 kshlm Weekly community meeting starting now in #gluster-meeting
11:59 rraja_ joined #gluster-dev
12:02 kdhananjay guest_: before that, what's your specific use case?
12:04 spalai left #gluster-dev
12:07 guest_ kdhananjay: I want to truncate a 20GB file on two 10GB brick, but when volume is distributed it failed. So i must to change volume to striped.
12:08 kdhananjay guest_: understood. are these files vm images?
12:09 poornima joined #gluster-dev
12:10 guest_ kdhananjay: yes
12:11 kdhananjay guest_: perfect. then you can use sharding. Also please use 3 way replication with quorum and group virt on the volume set.
12:16 rafi joined #gluster-dev
12:19 guest_ thanks a lot
12:23 luizcpg joined #gluster-dev
12:39 devyani7_ joined #gluster-dev
12:52 obnox post-factum: aha! googled it. jemalloc is a malloc implementation. on the other hand, talloc is a wrapper around a(ny) malloc implementation that adds hierarchy, destructors, pools, reports, and refcounts
12:52 obnox so they are actually totally independent
12:52 post-factum obnox, so we may use both :)
12:52 post-factum obnox, but i guess talloc requires intrusion to code, right?
12:53 post-factum obnox, it is not about simple LD_PRELOAD
12:54 anoopcs post-factum, jemalloc is just a LD_PRELOAD?
12:54 post-factum anoopcs, yep, it could be. like tcmalloc from gperftools
12:55 post-factum it replaces malloc/free with own implementation
12:55 post-factum but it may be used directly from code
12:55 anoopcs post-factum, AFAIK, for talloc we need code change
12:55 anoopcs obnox can comment better
12:56 dlambrig joined #gluster-dev
12:58 bene3 joined #gluster-dev
12:59 bene3 anyone know what happened to this link and ones like it? http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Feature_Smallfile_Perf ?
13:01 jiffin amye ^^
13:01 shyam joined #gluster-dev
13:02 hchiramm joined #gluster-dev
13:04 kkeithley kshlm++
13:04 glusterbot kkeithley: kshlm's karma is now 118
13:05 ira joined #gluster-dev
13:05 obnox post-factum: 'intrusion code' is not the right term. it introduces a new programming paradigm for memory allocation code
13:05 post-factum obnox, okay, "code mangling"
13:06 obnox post-factum: anoopcs: yeah. refactoring and reworking code to become better.
13:06 aravindavk kkeithley: do we need this patch before rc2 tagging? http://review.gluster.org/#/c/15726/
13:06 obnox post-factum: it encourages better and more clean coding
13:06 ankitraj joined #gluster-dev
13:07 kkeithley aravindak: only if you think someone will be testing on a very new Fedora rawhide box.  IOW it's nice to have, but not necessary for rc2
13:07 aravindavk kkeithley: ok
13:07 kshlm bene3, The old mediawiki documentation has been retiered.
13:08 kshlm Most of the information has been migrated to https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
13:08 bene3 kshlm, ok, but is it somewhere that I can at least save it off?  I might have a PDF of it but I had hoped that there was an archive.
13:09 kshlm bene3, https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs-specs/blob/master/done/GlusterFS%203.7/Small%20File%20Performance.md
13:09 kshlm Does this work for you?
13:10 kshlm The pages under 'Features/*' were moved to the glusterfs-specs repo.
13:10 bene3 thank you!  That's fine. kshlm++
13:10 glusterbot bene3: kshlm's karma is now 119
13:11 kshlm We may have a backup of the wiki if you require it. misc, nigelb, amye Do we have such a backup?
13:11 misc we have a sqldump
13:11 kshlm misc, that will be helpful if the need arises.
13:12 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
13:12 bene3 I have one more link that I need, and that's it: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs-specs/blob/master/done/GlusterFS%204.0/composite-operations.md
13:16 atinm kshlm++
13:16 glusterbot atinm: kshlm's karma is now 120
13:21 bene3 that was a link embedded within the page you just gave me that worked.  But if you don't have it, not the end of the world.  Ira and Shyam know about it already.
13:24 Debloper joined #gluster-dev
13:30 bene2 joined #gluster-dev
13:37 spalai joined #gluster-dev
13:37 spalai left #gluster-dev
13:50 kkeithley hmmm.  Since I'm looking at python packaging (because borken install on debian)....
13:51 kkeithley I wonder why syncdaemon and glusterfind python bits are installed in /usr/libexec/glusterfs/python/...  instead of /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gluster/...
13:51 kkeithley anyone think the latter is where they ought to be installed?
13:57 kkeithley E.g. in 3.9, .../extras/cliutils is installed in .../site-packages/gluster/cliutils
13:59 kotreshhr left #gluster-dev
14:04 aravindavk ping kshlm
14:06 aravindavk kkeithley: gsyncd, glusterfind and events are not exposed as libraries.
14:07 kkeithley hmmm.  okay.
14:10 nbalacha joined #gluster-dev
14:10 kkeithley aravinda: do you know what the difference is between /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages and /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages is?  In autoconf they are $pythondir and $pyexecdir respectively.
14:11 shyam joined #gluster-dev
14:12 pranithk1 joined #gluster-dev
14:12 aravindavk kkeithley: my understanding was if any library specific to x64  arch will go to lib64
14:12 pranithk1 aravindavk: hey!, sorry the meeting ended just now, instead of 7:30
14:12 pranithk1 aravindavk: I see you are already speaking to Kaleb, so all good :-)
14:15 aravindavk pranithk1: that was different topic :)
14:15 pranithk1 aravindavk: oh :-) sorry.
14:15 aravindavk kkeithley: pranithk1 I tagged v3.9.0rc2 and pushed, what next?
14:15 pranithk1 kkeithley: ndevos: Aravinda just pushed the new rc tag. We are wondering how to get the rpms going
14:16 pranithk1 aravindavk: I did nothing :-). It is all you this time :-)
14:16 pranithk1 aravindavk: thanks!
14:16 kkeithley you need to do a release in jenkins for the tag you just pushed.  That will create a source tar file on bits.gluster.org
14:17 kkeithley then I'll take it from there
14:18 pranithk1 kkeithley: https://build.gluster.org/job/release/ right?
14:19 pranithk1 kkeithley: something similar to https://build.gluster.org/job/release/173/parameters/ right?
14:19 pranithk1 aravindavk: ^^
14:20 aravindavk pranithk1: do we need login?
14:20 pranithk1 aravindavk: yes
14:20 kkeithley yes
14:20 mchangir kkeithley, I'm working with the glusterfs-3.8.4.tar.gz tarball and can see some files named foo along with their foo.in counterpart in the tarball ... is that a good thing ?
14:21 kkeithley literally foo and foo.in?
14:21 mchangir kkeithley, yup
14:21 mchangir kkeithley, oops
14:21 kkeithley or glusterfs.spec.in and glusterfs.spec?
14:21 mchangir kkeithley, that was an example
14:22 aravindavk kkeithley: pranithk1 I do not have login in gerrit
14:22 mchangir kkeithley, yes ... glusterfs.spec.in and glusterfs.spec
14:22 mchangir kkeithley, and a few other files as well
14:22 pranithk1 aravindavk: no no, you just need to login to build.gluster.org
14:22 kkeithley mchangir: yes, AFAIK that's normal
14:23 pranithk1 aravindavk: Do you have that login?
14:23 mchangir kkeithley, its causing problems with patching sources in downstream builds ... resulting in patch and eventual RPM build failure
14:24 aravindavk pranithk1: no, will gerrit login works? github based
14:25 kkeithley mchangir: ugh, not good
14:25 pranithk1 aravindavk: I think you should get one later. I can do that part.
14:25 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
14:25 mchangir kkeithley, following is the file list:
14:25 mchangir BAD FILE: ./tools/glusterfind/src/tool.conf
14:25 mchangir BAD FILE: ./tests/basic/fuse/Makefile
14:25 mchangir BAD FILE: ./tests/basic/gfapi/Makefile
14:25 mchangir BAD FILE: ./tests/env.rc
14:25 mchangir BAD FILE: ./geo-replication/syncdaemon/configinterface.py
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./glusterfs.spec
14:26 aravindavk pranithk1: ok
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./contrib/umountd/Makefile
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./contrib/uuid/uuid_types.h
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./xlators/features/glupy/src/__init__.py
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./extras/glusterd.vol
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./extras/init.d/glusterd.plist
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./extras/init.d/glusterd-SuSE
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./extras/init.d/glusterd-Redhat
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./extras/init.d/glusterd-FreeBSD
14:26 mchangir BAD FILE: ./extras/init.d/glusterd-Debian
14:28 pranithk1 aravindavk: done!
14:28 pranithk1 aravindavk: We will get a new mail in a bit
14:28 post-factum obnox, anoopcs, nbalacha http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051286.html
14:28 post-factum kshlm, ^^
14:29 post-factum dunno whom else to cast
14:29 post-factum ndevos, wanna some fun too? ^^
14:29 aravindavk pranithk1: cool
14:30 kkeithley mchangir: moving conversation to internal channel
14:30 mchangir kkeithley, sure
14:30 obnox post-factum: thanks
14:30 kkeithley actually I have a meeting, biab. will start building some packages afterwards
14:32 aravindavk kkeithley++ pranithk1++ will log out now
14:32 glusterbot aravindavk: kkeithley's karma is now 148
14:32 glusterbot aravindavk: pranithk1's karma is now 8
14:45 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
14:57 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
15:21 shyam joined #gluster-dev
15:22 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
15:27 wushudoin joined #gluster-dev
15:30 shubhendu joined #gluster-dev
15:36 ashiq joined #gluster-dev
15:57 cholcombe joined #gluster-dev
16:04 jiffin1 joined #gluster-dev
16:16 gem joined #gluster-dev
16:19 jiffin1 joined #gluster-dev
16:27 pranithk1 joined #gluster-dev
16:56 shyam joined #gluster-dev
16:59 msvbhat joined #gluster-dev
17:08 ashiq joined #gluster-dev
17:10 nigelb kshlm: http://dev.gluster.org/cgit/build-jobs.git/tree/build-gluster-org/jobs
17:11 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
17:11 nigelb kshlm: http://review.gluster.org/#/admin/projects/build-jobs (if you want to submit a patch)
17:11 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
17:18 bfoster joined #gluster-dev
17:25 bfoster joined #gluster-dev
17:26 jiffin1 joined #gluster-dev
17:30 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
18:20 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
18:22 rastar joined #gluster-dev
18:24 shyam joined #gluster-dev
18:33 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
18:56 kkeithley I'm not promising there will be Ubuntu 3.9.0rc2 packages, but if there were going to be, should they be for Trusty (14.04) or Xenial (16.04)?
19:04 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
19:13 jiffin joined #gluster-dev
19:19 riyas joined #gluster-dev
21:15 JoeJulian kkeithley: On the one hand, there's more Trusty users. On the other, Xenial users are probably more likely to be tinkerers. So I'm not sure which would really have better odds of being tested. I'd probably lean toward Xenial if I were to guess though.
21:18 luizcpg joined #gluster-dev
21:20 luizcpg left #gluster-dev
21:27 luizcpg joined #gluster-dev
21:31 luizcpg joined #gluster-dev
21:37 dlambrig anyone know the difference between planet.gluster.org and blog.gluster.org? They both seem active..
22:17 shyam joined #gluster-dev
22:29 hagarth joined #gluster-dev
23:50 pranithk1 joined #gluster-dev

| Channels | #gluster-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary