Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #ilbot, 2013-08-18

| Channels | #ilbot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
13:47 pdurbin moritz: check out this URL detector: http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclo​gger_log/git?date=2013-08-18#l923
17:41 bshum exit
17:41 bshum Oops, wrong window :(
18:21 bshum Hmm, worked my way through the upgrade process
18:21 bshum Can't seem to get my web frontend working now, apache error:  FastCGI: server "/var/www/ilbot/www/ilbot.fcgi" stderr: Can't locate object method "compute" via package "FakeCache" at /var/www/ilbot/lib/Ilbot/Frontend/Cached.pm line 26.
18:21 bshum Pondering and poking around.
18:23 moritz bshum: enable caching :-)
18:23 bshum Hmm
18:24 moritz ... or git pull :-)
18:26 bshum Ha!  moritz++ :)
18:27 moritz :-)
18:27 bshum Hmm, close
18:28 bshum New error
18:28 bshum FastCGI: server "/var/www/ilbot/www/ilbot.fcgi" stderr: Can't use string ("") as a subroutine ref while "strict refs" in use at /var/www/ilbot/lib/Ilbot/Cache.pm line 29.
18:29 moritz bshum: what kind of request are you doing?
18:30 bshum moritz: Well, all I did was put the new conf file into place for apache and then just tried navigating to the web URL
18:30 moritz so index page
18:30 bshum Yes.
18:30 moritz bshum: please enable caching (in both frontend and backend), and restart apache, and try again
18:31 bshum Alrighty.
18:31 moritz I wonder if caching is the real problem, or if there's some general fishiness which just manifests itself at the caching layer
18:31 moritz cd
18:32 moritz ww
18:35 bshum That was it.
18:35 bshum Setting cache to 1 in backend.conf gives me a real page now.
18:36 bshum Testing other things to see what else is going on
18:36 bshum moritz: Thank you sir!
18:38 bshum Also helps if I clear the tmp file cache too :)
22:57 pdurbin bshum: did you upgrade from lastgen to nextgen? or start with nextgen?
23:14 bshum pdurbin: Mostly lastgen to nextgen.  I had some experiment from a pulled copy of master from early June, so it wasn't quite as old, but still not as new.
23:15 bshum pdurbin: Running through upgrade file, the only step I had to play around with was the scripting in migration.sql where it was looking for "irclog" but I had to qualify that as "irclog.irclog" to get it to pull from the right database.table.
23:15 pdurbin doesn't sound too bad
23:16 bshum A quirk I've noticed is that it seems to be caching whichever index I look at first.
23:16 bshum And thereafter all links go to that index page
23:16 bshum Instead of creating separate indexes for each channel that's logged.
23:16 bshum I'm hoping to get a closer look at that later (lucky for me, we log other channels, but don't actively care about them, just the main one)
23:17 pdurbin gotcha
23:17 bshum Oh, of course
23:17 bshum Right after I type this into channel
23:17 bshum I go to look at the webpages
23:17 bshum And everything is fine...
23:17 pdurbin :)
23:17 bshum So maybe it's just some weird fluke of my imagination or bad browser caching.
23:18 pdurbin I guess I'm wondering if upgrading is worth it for a small lastgen ilbot like mine
23:19 bshum I primarily decided to upgrade to try out the new DB reconnect stuff.
23:19 bshum I noticed that with our June build, it was timing out once a week on Sunday pretty consistently.
23:19 bshum For the last month anyways.
23:19 bshum So that annoyed me enough to try upgrading.
23:20 pdurbin huh. my ilbot has been great. trouble free
23:21 bshum probably just a weird quirk with our systems.  I don't know if the other web admins are doing anything funky on the server we're all sharing for website stuff.
23:21 bshum :D
23:22 bshum But you know, adventure is out there, newer is better...
23:31 pdurbin yeah
23:34 bshum We'll see how it goes for a few days.

| Channels | #ilbot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary