Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2013-12-01

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:15 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
00:44 robot joined #openframeworks
02:50 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
05:29 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
05:44 Pickled joined #openframeworks
05:58 dltv joined #openframeworks
06:05 dltv joined #openframeworks
06:16 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
08:07 oktapodi joined #openframeworks
09:07 LCID_Fire joined #openframeworks
11:14 achim joined #openframeworks
12:15 achim joined #openframeworks
13:20 ofTheo joined #openframeworks
14:09 tigbot joined #openframeworks
14:57 tgfrerer_ names
15:05 ofTheo joined #openframeworks
15:58 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
16:13 ofarturo hi all
16:13 ofTheo joined #openframeworks
16:16 ofarturo let's start?
16:16 ofTheo hey ofarturo
16:16 ofarturo hey
16:16 ofTheo looks like its a weird issue because DH hosts the domain
16:16 ofTheo so there are two www entries
16:16 ofTheo going to see if there is a way to overide
16:16 ofarturo ok
16:17 tgfrerer hey guys! =)
16:17 ofarturo hey tim
16:17 ofTheo looks like I have to disable hosting - so that will kill mail also
16:18 tgfrerer i think there might be still some international timezone confusion for today
16:18 tgfrerer ... 's meeting
16:18 tgfrerer it's 1pm NYC time, right?
16:18 ofarturo :) wasn't it now?
16:19 ofarturo ah no it's in an hour right?
16:20 tgfrerer i wonder :) the text in piratepad says 1pm NYC time, but the link points to an hour earlier for international times, i fear
16:24 ofarturo i get 12:00 NYC time in the international time link from the pirate pad which is 17:00UTC
16:24 ofarturo http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2013&month=12&day=1&hour=17&min=0&sec=0&p1=179&p2=136&p4=224&p5=259
16:25 tgfrerer right, me too - and it says 1pm NYC on piratepad the line above - maybe send out a quick email to clarify?
16:27 ofarturo ah, ok didn't saw that, can you ping the dev list?
16:53 tgfrerer ping'ed! sorry, had to pop out in between...
17:03 dantheman joined #openframeworks
17:03 dantheman sup
17:04 dantheman hey all
17:04 tgfrerer hey dan!
17:05 dantheman heyo whats up
17:18 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
17:21 ofarturo1 joined #openframeworks
17:24 dantheman joined #openframeworks
17:32 underdoeg joined #openframeworks
17:32 grantkot joined #openframeworks
17:37 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
17:38 dantheman looks like we might have a nice turnout for the meetup huh?
17:44 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
17:48 dantheman yo
17:48 kylemcd hi everyone
17:48 kylemcd i'll be back in 10min :)
17:48 dantheman lol
17:48 dantheman kk
17:52 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
17:53 dantheman so OF on 10.9 isn't bad
17:53 dantheman with xcode 5 its ok
17:53 ofTheo yeah?
17:54 tgfrerer agree =)
17:54 ofTheo how is fullscreen across two displays?
17:54 dantheman ofarturo: I found that linux64 release isn't working
17:54 dantheman ofTheo: yeah
17:54 dantheman got one of the new MBP_R for something kylemcd and I are doing
17:54 dantheman and its nice
17:54 dantheman using it now
17:54 dantheman FAST
17:54 dantheman and 10.9 isn't terrible...everything looks like it works OK
17:55 dantheman you just have to do the *select build target*
17:55 tgfrerer ofTheo: you have to disable "separate viewports" then you get fullscreen across two displays
17:55 dantheman tgfrerer: same thing you have to do in Linux to get it working right
17:55 dantheman lol
17:55 dantheman that is the interesting thing
17:55 dantheman oh man an OF on Linux is like the FUTURE of interactive installations
17:55 ofTheo agh - okay - so its possible to do horizontal span
17:56 dantheman yah
17:56 tgfrerer ofTheo : yes
17:56 dantheman and vertical
17:56 admsyn joined #openframeworks
17:56 dantheman so I have a 780GTX with Quad core i7 (haswell) and 16 gigs of ram cranking on my desk at work
17:57 dantheman its running 13.10 now...but damn does OF run nice on it
17:57 dantheman and its like the 1/3 the size of the MacPro towers
17:58 tgfrerer dantheman: with 13.10 you mean an ubuntu distro?
17:58 LCID_Fire joined #openframeworks
17:58 ofTheo nice! that setup will encourage some unoptimized code - for sure! :)
17:58 dantheman tgfrerer: up
17:58 dantheman yuP*
17:58 dantheman sorry
17:58 tgfrerer =)
17:58 dantheman yah running linux ubuntu
17:59 dantheman I need to just put Debian on her
17:59 tgfrerer or arch =)
17:59 dantheman yeah or arch
17:59 dantheman but its for a gig in January
17:59 dantheman I need to figure it out soooooooon
17:59 dantheman which base I'm gonna install
17:59 dantheman but it works nicely
18:00 ofarturo i usually use ubuntu + openbox so you don't need to care about installing drivers... and openbox removes all the unneded stuff + is way faster than unity
18:00 dantheman I'll have a guide on how to configure your xorg.conf for make a single viewport across multiple monitors or GPUS
18:00 dantheman yeah
18:00 dantheman yeah there are some weird things
18:00 dantheman I usually just go with the LTS
18:01 dantheman but it was being funky
18:01 tgfrerer i can also recommend DWM as window manager
18:01 dantheman ofTheo: haha
18:01 dantheman ofTheo: I still work off my air :P
18:02 jvcleave joined #openframeworks
18:02 dantheman yo jacres
18:02 dantheman err jvcleave
18:02 dantheman both of you HI
18:02 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
18:02 jvcleave what up
18:02 dantheman not much chillin
18:03 dantheman I think we are waiting on kyle
18:03 admsyn hi all :)
18:03 ofarturo btw we have new forum
18:03 dantheman hey admsyn
18:03 dantheman really?
18:03 pizthewiz New forum?
18:03 jvcleave oh nice - it live?
18:03 ofTheo yup
18:03 ofarturo yep we just moved it
18:03 * pizthewiz refreshes the forum
18:03 admsyn \o/
18:04 dantheman I'm getting error id: "bad_httpd_conf"
18:04 ofarturo yes we just changed the dns so it can take a while to propagate
18:04 dantheman at http://forum.openframeworks.cc/
18:04 dantheman oh ok
18:04 kylemcd i'm here
18:04 admsyn works for me fwiw
18:04 dantheman nice
18:04 kylemcd was just reading up on the linux/10.9 stuff above :)
18:04 tgfrerer auweh, i'm getting site temporarily unavailable for openframeworks.cc
18:04 dantheman kylemcd: it works nice
18:04 ofTheo try www.openframeworks.cc
18:05 dantheman not dice
18:05 dantheman :(
18:05 dantheman my ISP SUCKS
18:05 kylemcd we've got theo & arturo, so let's get started :)
18:05 ofTheo @dantheman sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
18:05 kylemcd i'll ping zach too and maybe he can join us
18:05 admsyn I get missing CSS on openframeworks.cc
18:05 jvcleave i got it but can't log in
18:05 kylemcd so! it's been a few months since 0.8.0 was released :) nice to see you all here again
18:06 pizthewiz Yup, I'm missing CSS on www.oF.cc too
18:06 kylemcd i'm starting to see more "this has been fixed for 0.8.1" comments closing issues recently, so it seems like a good time for a new release
18:06 kylemcd "- releasing bugfixes and slight updates for 0.8.0 as 0.8.1"
18:06 dantheman ofTheo: :( still nothing...its prolly the NSA screwing up ny DNS
18:07 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
18:07 ofarturo it can take a while to get the new ips restarting did it for me, the css is because the www is working but the main domain is not
18:07 kylemcd sorry connection issues
18:07 dantheman there are some things still broken in 0.8.0
18:07 ofarturo also for the forum you'll need to ask for a new password let me know if you have any issues
18:08 ofarturo yes we need to do a release right away
18:08 dantheman like linux64 release builds are broken
18:08 dantheman yeah like an RC 0.8.1?
18:08 dantheman didn't we say we need to start doing RC's like Processing
18:08 ofarturo how is linux64 broken?
18:08 dantheman release builds
18:08 ofTheo yeah rc build
18:08 dantheman don't work
18:09 dantheman its broken in the package
18:09 ofarturo mmh i use it every day :) but perhaps post an issue in GH
18:09 dantheman the make files are screwed up I think
18:09 ofarturo yes RC is a good idea but perhaps for minor releases is not that necesary?
18:09 dantheman CB works..but going make && make run on the command line tries to build ARM stuff
18:09 dantheman haha
18:09 bilderbuchi joined #openframeworks
18:10 ofTheo hmm well we had some notable bugs in 0073 or 0072
18:10 kylemcd hey christoph :)
18:10 ofTheo I think testing shouldn't be underestimated
18:10 ofarturo can be, i think back then we didn't paid so much attention to minor releases being bugfix only
18:10 dantheman or looks for instructions no in the x86_64 instruction set...throws some weird thing and dumbs assembly in the logs
18:11 ofarturo but if we do now then it's probably not so important
18:11 dantheman err /not in the
18:11 dantheman well the thing with an RC is we can get it out in the world...and people can report
18:11 dantheman new issues or if their issues were fixed?
18:12 jvcleave i agree on testing - need some sort of QA process
18:12 dantheman I've been thinking about that for a while
18:12 dantheman jvcleave: specifically QA
18:13 jvcleave something that says "it was ran via these steps"
18:13 dantheman I try to test every platform that can run OF I own
18:13 pizthewiz Perhaps some documentation on how a release is qualified for release
18:13 dantheman well we have the nightly tests right?
18:13 pizthewiz Yeah a testing matrix might really help with coverage
18:13 Halfdanj joined #openframeworks
18:13 kylemcd for 0.8.0 there was a google doc spreadsheet for all the different platforms
18:13 kylemcd that seemed helpful
18:13 dantheman oh yeah that was awesome
18:14 dantheman jvcleave: didn't you make that?
18:14 admsyn +1 for the spreadsheet
18:14 ofTheo some unit testing approach could be good.
18:14 dantheman yeah an automated test suite
18:14 ofTheo even if we made one test per section that renders out a large image
18:14 ofTheo we could then do per pixel comparison on known image and mark areas which have changed
18:14 dantheman that just runs with every PR
18:14 dantheman yup
18:15 kylemcd ok we're a little off track, we can save talking about testing for the end of the discussion i think -- the question right now is just what do we need to do to get 0.8.1 out
18:15 jvcleave i used it but there are a lot of mouse movements/different modes that wouldn't be caught without eyes
18:15 ofTheo :)
18:15 dantheman 0.8.1 before Xmas?
18:15 ofTheo it seems its fairly close - are there any major issues?
18:15 kylemcd with 0.8.0 we decided OF is anti-deadline
18:15 dantheman lol
18:15 dantheman we release when its ready
18:16 dantheman I wish I could tell that to clients
18:16 bilderbuchi hey guys. still afk for a while, gotta eta!
18:16 ofTheo https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues?direction=desc&milestone=13&sort=updated&state=open
18:16 bilderbuchi-afk bb soon
18:16 joshuajnoble joined #openframeworks
18:16 ofTheo well I think for the bug fix sprint
18:16 ofTheo closing the remaining issues in the above list would be a good start :)
18:16 jvcleave my biggest issue is the fbo/shader arm scenario with the programmable renderer
18:16 ofTheo seems very diable
18:17 ofTheo *doable
18:17 kylemcd there are a few issues on here that shouldn't be tagged for 0.8.1
18:17 tgfrerer jvcleave: did you pull check if the latest change i referenced in that issue made a difference?
18:18 jvcleave yes
18:18 jvcleave my last comment is post your fix
18:18 jvcleave https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/2593#issuecomment-26657402
18:18 kylemcd in order to keep releases happening at a decent rate we were going to avoid adding non-critical issues to the upcoming release
18:18 dantheman jvcleave: why don't we just bring back the ES2 renderer for the Pi
18:18 tgfrerer auweh :{
18:18 dantheman jvcleave: it works so much better
18:18 dantheman cause it was written for the Pi
18:18 jvcleave dan - it doesn't work at all
18:18 dantheman huh?
18:18 ofTheo one thing that is pretty close is 64bit OS X
18:18 jvcleave not with the .8 architecture
18:19 ofTheo that can come later - but nick has pretty much all the libs built
18:19 ofTheo and a non QT video player working
18:19 ofarturo most of the problems that we have in 0.8.0 are related with glfw
18:19 bakercp joined #openframeworks
18:19 ofarturo we probably need to update to the latest version
18:19 tgfrerer ofarturo +1
18:20 ofarturo but i need to merge that with the changes i did to have drag and drop support
18:20 ofarturo the list of issues for 0.8.1 in GH seems weird though
18:20 ofTheo I can go through today and move back non-critical issues
18:21 ofarturo the main issues seems to not be there like the problems with the keyboard or the mouse under GLFW
18:21 kylemcd ofTheo: that would be good to move some back
18:21 ofTheo as long as we catch the real critical issues
18:21 ofTheo can everyone have a look?
18:21 ofTheo make sure anything that is super broken is in there?
18:21 dantheman yeah some of these issues seem like non-issues
18:22 ofarturo oh sorry i had a filter by tag but yeah if everyone can take a look and add whatever they think might be missing
18:22 ofarturo only critical issues though
18:22 ofarturo dantheman can you open an issue for the problem you are getting in linux64?
18:22 dantheman yeah
18:22 dantheman I can
18:22 dantheman I'll open it tomorrow
18:23 dantheman I was trying to fix it last tuesday before I left for the holiday
18:23 dantheman ofarturo: I think it is just a bad line in the makefiles
18:24 kylemcd ok so here's the plan
18:24 dantheman I think I remember bakercp saying he knew of an issue with the makefile on big linux
18:24 dantheman or I could be making it up
18:24 dantheman sorry kylemcd
18:24 kylemcd everyone take a look at the issues now and after the meeting, we're going to try and narrow down 0.8.1 to the most important things
18:24 ofarturo also let's take a look and see if there's some issues that are not critical to move them to 0.8.2
18:24 kylemcd this coming week we'll be fixing and merging bugs
18:24 kylemcd hopefully we can get everything and make a release
18:25 bakercp sounds good to me!
18:25 kylemcd but more likely, it will be another month & another bug fix week until we have them all squashed
18:25 dantheman yup
18:25 dantheman cause I'm knee deep in two projects
18:25 kylemcd obviously everyone is free to contribute however they want, but the most helpful thing would be to pick something that is on the 0.8.1 milestone and figure it out
18:26 kylemcd the next item says:
18:26 kylemcd "- bugfix week"
18:26 pizthewiz Sorry for the sideways question - is a glfw update in the cards for v0.8.1 or would that likely require too much re-testing?
18:26 dantheman jvcleave: whats left to do here https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/2134
18:26 kylemcd pizthewiz: i think it's necessary, there have been a lot of fixes
18:26 ofarturo pizthewiz: yes we need latest glfw
18:27 kylemcd re bug fix week: i'm not sure if there's anything specific to add except that people are going to be on irc and the core team (zach, theo, arturo) have said they want to focus on merging PRs and guiding people in IRC during this time
18:27 admsyn IMO it makes sense to do that ASAP so that we have the whole week to accidentally stumble upon any potential issues while in bug-fix mode :)
18:27 pizthewiz Ok great, there are a bunch of smaller issues not sitting in 0.8.1 that will be fixed by a glfw upgrade like https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/2495
18:27 bakercp (the latest glfw has a lot of important fixes)
18:27 dantheman has anyone reported the weird bug with glfw where if there is no monitor detected the app crashes?
18:27 ofTheo yeah kyle had that
18:27 ofTheo but the plan sounds good to me
18:28 ofTheo lets get the list flushed out and then lets get to work
18:28 dantheman I couldn't figure out if it was OF or GLFW cause the second you switch to a GLUT window it stopped
18:28 ofTheo try and hold off on feature PRs that don't relate to 0.8.1
18:28 ofTheo ( if possible )
18:28 dantheman well isn't that the reason for the X.X.X numbering
18:29 dantheman the 0.8.X is supposed to be bug fixes only
18:29 ofTheo right :)
18:29 ofTheo the crashing seems to be a glow bug
18:29 ofTheo *glfw
18:29 dantheman you can hide features if you are sneaky
18:29 dantheman yeah that is what I figured
18:29 dantheman blair tracked down the call I think
18:30 bilderbuchi I just created a milestone for 0.8.2
18:30 pizthewiz dantheman: unrelated to trying to create a context on a powered-down GPU?
18:30 dantheman idk
18:30 dantheman is a GPU powered down if it is the integrated in the CPU
18:30 dantheman like the Intel 4000/5000 would never be powered down if they are built into the main CPU right?
18:31 bilderbuchi so, back again. great to see the activity!
18:31 bilderbuchi and energy
18:31 dantheman unless they are only turned on when something is plugged in right?
18:31 dantheman sorry kylemcd NEXT
18:31 kylemcd yep :)
18:31 kylemcd someone wrote "- Goals 0.9.0"
18:31 kylemcd but let's just talk specifically about the sound PR
18:31 dantheman I did
18:31 kylemcd "    - Sound PR (https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/pull/2626 )"
18:31 kylemcd what's going on there
18:32 admsyn ah ok, so basically with this PR, it's kinda big and there's maybe ~4 features rolled into one
18:32 jvcleave we doing c++11 later?
18:32 admsyn but the important one IMO is the sound object API, since it opens the door for lots of addon interop
18:32 dantheman could that be in 0.9.0? jvcleave
18:32 kylemcd oh sorry, yes, c++11 is next
18:32 tgfrerer re:c++11 i brought that one up =)
18:33 * admsyn stops talking
18:33 jvcleave glad to see it - that will replace ofPtr right?
18:33 tgfrerer definitely
18:33 dantheman I'm still fuzzy on the difference/additions etc
18:34 admsyn dantheman: in C++11 in general?
18:34 ofarturo yeah let's do c++11 for 0.9 the syntax is so much nicer for some things
18:34 dantheman yeah
18:34 tgfrerer the main reason for me to embrace c++11 is that code will be nicer
18:34 tgfrerer especially for threads etc.
18:34 jvcleave ofPtr/Poco seems to be where I end up having the most quirks with recently
18:34 admsyn dantheman: lots of nice syntax stuff, async stuff..way more modern :)
18:34 tgfrerer also, we'll be less dependent on poco
18:34 ofTheo c++11 requires all c++ libs to be rebuilt right?
18:34 ofarturo and some things should be faster since some of the latest (since 007) features are coded thinking in move semantics
18:35 tgfrerer ofTheo: yes, that's why i put it on the list
18:35 dantheman ok
18:35 dantheman I have reading to do
18:35 tgfrerer i wanted to drum the propaganda drum for apothecary
18:35 tgfrerer because if we have to recompile libs
18:35 ofTheo apothecary is awesome
18:35 ofarturo :)
18:35 admsyn +1 for apothecary
18:35 tgfrerer for c++11 apothecary is the way forward
18:36 ofTheo Nick used it for 64bit OS X
18:36 ofTheo super helpful
18:36 dantheman ok this is neat C++11 introduced the concept of a constexpr-declared function; a function which could be executed at compile time
18:36 ofarturo yeah we should have a server that runs apothecary to build the libraries online so we can remove them from github
18:36 LeoColomb joined #openframeworks
18:36 dantheman ofarturo: that sounds cool
18:37 kylemcd ok so it's clear that everyone is interested in c++11 and apothecary, so is any help needed to move forward there?
18:37 dantheman I think the only thing missing from apothecary is windows support right now
18:37 ofTheo the other issue is how we choose which version of the OF libs to use
18:37 dantheman like someone just needs to write a good how to
18:38 ofTheo if we pick the latest free image / free type / opencv etc we will always run into small issues along the way
18:38 tgfrerer sorry, just lost all internetz
18:38 ofTheo so managing versions of libs is another issue
18:39 ofTheo if we have things building server side - maybe we could have a list of lib versions somewhere which apothecary uses
18:39 bilderbuchi whatever we end up doing re: lib versions, the relevant information should reside in the OF repo
18:39 ofTheo right
18:39 dantheman yeah...like submodules or something?
18:39 bilderbuchi so that it's always clear which are the aappropriate versions for a certain commit
18:39 ofarturo yes we should have some kind of file in the main repo with the versions we are using for each library
18:39 Halfdanj Or lige packages in node js. Super clean way of doing it there
18:40 bilderbuchi not necessarily, dan. a config file which apothecary eats would be sufficient i thin
18:40 bilderbuchi *think
18:40 ofarturo probably apothecary could even parse that to compile the correct version
18:40 dantheman bilderbuchi: that works...
18:40 dantheman bilderbuchi: but that is all a submodules config file is
18:40 bilderbuchi ?
18:40 bilderbuchi hm, yeah.
18:41 ofTheo not a big fan of submodules
18:41 ofTheo :)
18:41 bilderbuchi but a submodule refs a whole git repo. with all the associated procedural ballast (git submodule update after chekcing out, etc)
18:41 dantheman yeah with a specific commit ID
18:42 bilderbuchi yes, but then we'd need the binaries in some repo, again, defeating the purpose somewhat
18:42 dantheman so when you go to build it...it checks out the correct git repo at the correct commit id
18:42 bilderbuchi we want to get binaries out of git repos ;-)
18:42 dantheman unless you point it to the official GLFW repo
18:43 LeoColomb Hi all. dantheman: apothecary do more than a submodule, it helps to build libs, on any system.
18:43 tgfrerer re: c++11, apothecary - my main point would be to build binaries with apothecary and send the recipe to the apothecary recipe. it makes life easier for everyone who wants to port oF to new platforms (including clang/c++11)
18:43 dantheman LeoColomb: right
18:43 tgfrerer apothecary repository, that is.
18:43 dantheman you give it a git repo and commit ID and it builds you the binary right?
18:44 dantheman or the library source folder?
18:45 bilderbuchi either, I think
18:45 bilderbuchi but not 100% sure
18:46 kylemcd so does someone want to work on completing apothecary, as a first step towards supporting c++11?
18:46 tgfrerer we already suport c++11=)
18:47 ofarturo :)
18:47 tgfrerer http://github.com/openframeworks-cpp11
18:47 dantheman ol
18:47 jvcleave Should we create a .9 milestone to deprecate ofPtr?
18:47 dantheman lol
18:48 jvcleave (i didn't see one)
18:48 admsyn jvcleave: +1
18:48 tgfrerer jvcleave +1
18:48 bilderbuchi 0.9 already exists: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues?milestone=8&state=open
18:48 dantheman lol
18:49 jvcleave bilderbuchi: i meant an ofPtr deprecation issue
18:49 tgfrerer kylemcd: we'd need testing, mainly, and also, if anyone builds osx 64 bit binaries, these would be sweet to have in apothecary =)
18:49 bilderbuchi I see. yeah, do that
18:49 ofTheo why do we deprecate ofPtr
18:49 ofTheo ?
18:49 dantheman tgfrerer: I can test the 64 bit stuff on this machine
18:49 ofarturo it's kind of problematic
18:49 dantheman I wanna try it actually
18:49 bilderbuchi switch to c++11 pointers i think?
18:49 bilderbuchi @Theo
18:50 admsyn also it's much more difficult to get good information googling "ofPtr" vs "shared_ptr"
18:50 ofarturo we have to inherit from shared_ptr and the implementations are different on every compiler or they can change
18:50 tgfrerer ofTheo: becausse they're not 1:1 compatible with shared_ptr
18:50 ofarturo so it's difficult to mantain
18:50 ofTheo ahh
18:50 jvcleave yes - from what I understand Poco has underying issues tryign to use it's own shared pointers
18:50 bakercp we just need to "own" std::shared_ptr even it it's not ofPretty
18:50 dantheman brb
18:50 kylemcd i'm confused, ofTheo wrote above: "c++11 requires all c++ libs to be rebuilt right?"
18:51 kylemcd the openframeworks-cpp11 has all the libs rebuilt already?
18:51 dantheman joined #openframeworks
18:51 bakercp @jvcleave, Poco is getting rid its pointers when they fully adopt c++11 w/ V.2.0 (who knows when that will be complete)
18:51 jvcleave bakercp - yes - but with c++11 we don't have to wait correct?
18:52 dantheman https://github.com/pocoproject/poco/issues/milestones
18:52 dantheman 8 months?
18:52 ofTheo I haven't checked @kylemcd
18:52 kylemcd ah ok
18:52 ofTheo but I think you need to link to a diff version of c++
18:52 dantheman should we start to track the project we use better?
18:52 ofTheo hence the two builds of leapmotion
18:53 tgfrerer kylemcd: yes, openframeworks-cpp11 has the libraries rebuilt, using apothecary
18:53 bakercp Yes, the trouble with Poco Pointers is that they obscure pointer ownership in strange ways, especially when mixed with std::shared_ptr :)
18:53 dantheman bakercp: should we try to get better HTTP calls into the core for 0.9.0
18:53 kylemcd tgfrerer awesome -- so apothecary has recipes for every lib on osx?
18:53 dantheman I have my POC I had to get working for a project
18:53 tgfrerer kylemcd - yes, most.
18:54 ofTheo nice :)
18:54 dantheman but it doesn't work on all cases
18:54 bakercp @dantheman, happy to contribute all of this ofxHTTP work or some portion
18:54 tgfrerer but needs testing
18:54 pizthewiz dantheman: yes please!
18:54 tgfrerer ofTheo: the big difference is that you have to link with libc++ instead of libstdc++
18:54 tgfrerer ofTheo: these two are not ABI compatible, which is why the libraries need rebuilding
18:54 dantheman bakercp: well I'm thinking some of it should be organized a little better
18:54 bilderbuchi @tgfrerer: lib rebuild is not completed for all platforms, rightß
18:55 dantheman less verbos
18:55 tgfrerer bilderbuchi: yes, not complete
18:55 bakercp @dantheman, yeah the client stuff is still in progress.  The Server stuff is on its 3rd or 4th iteration.
18:55 dantheman the server stuff is awesome
18:56 bakercp @dantheman ofxHTTP would _LOVE_ c++11 :)
18:56 dantheman that too
18:56 admsyn bakercp: async / future all the things :)
18:56 dantheman ALL OF THE THINGS
18:56 tgfrerer a good argument for c++11 is that apple seems to discontinue gcc support, by the way.
18:56 bakercp @admsyn, yes.  ALL of them.
18:57 kylemcd ok, i think i understand what's going on now -- but two more questions:
18:57 kylemcd 1. is anything keeping us from merging openframeworks-cpp11 into the core
18:57 bakercp I don't think there are any arguments against c++11 :)
18:57 kylemcd 2. what remains on other platforms
18:57 dantheman kylemcd: 1 -> answer testing testing testing testing
18:57 ofarturo i think we should merge osx c++11 after 0.8.1
18:57 tgfrerer kylemcd: leo has done some great research into windows
18:58 bakercp +1 (osx c++11 after 0.8.1)
18:58 ofarturo for other platforms we just need to add a flag to the compiler i think
18:58 bilderbuchi +1 arturo, 0.8.1 is a _bugfix_ release :)
18:58 pizthewiz tgfrerer: the licensing change in gcc deprecated it on the platform :0)
18:58 tgfrerer seems visual studio 2013 supports c++11 fully
18:58 ofarturo vs should already supports c++11 as it is right?
18:58 bakercp vs supports all of the important stuff in c++11
18:58 kylemcd ok, so should we aim for merging any c++11 work with 0.9.0?
18:59 ofTheo yup
18:59 dantheman why don't we do this....we take master and make a 0.8.1 branch and a 0.9.0 branch then start putting bug fixes on 0.8.1 and features on 0.9.0 and start keeping a package on the site as 0.8.0 + Bug Fixes and Release Canidate X.X  for 0.9.0
18:59 ofarturo yes
18:59 tgfrerer kylemcd +1
18:59 bakercp dantheman +1
18:59 jvcleave ++11
18:59 tgfrerer =)
18:59 kylemcd dantheman it sounds good, but i'm not convinced we have enough dedicated developers or enthusiasts to make the effort worthwhile
19:00 bakercp +∞
19:00 ofarturo dantheman we already agreed to have master as development branch that would be confusing i think
19:00 dantheman you'll be surprised how many forks I have with little features I build for projects in them
19:00 ofTheo I think we shouldn't work on 0.9 till 0.8.1 is out
19:00 dantheman ofarturo: maybe tags?
19:00 ofTheo more motivation to get 0.8.1 released
19:00 dantheman yeah you're right
19:01 ofarturo i think everyone can have their own branches or whatever but if also not allowing for new features is a way of getting things fixed
19:01 bilderbuchi yeah, while it would be neat, during the master/develop switch, the majority was for keeping the branch layout simpler
19:01 bakercp -- it seems that the forking model has moved toward a organizational approach (openFrameworks-cpp11, openFrameworks-arm), etc
19:01 dantheman right
19:01 bilderbuchi also, +1 kyle w.r.t. manpower
19:01 dantheman would be cool if those lived in the openFrameworks home Repo
19:01 dantheman maybe or links to them in a ReadMe
19:02 kylemcd tgfrerer could you add an issue for merging c++11 with a 0.9.0 milestone?
19:02 tgfrerer reason for organisation was that specific issues can be attached to fork
19:02 tgfrerer kylemcd: will do :)
19:02 kylemcd or if there is already a representative issue i can just milestone it
19:02 dantheman tgfrerer: yup yup
19:02 dantheman and then you make one PR
19:02 bilderbuchi I think there already is an issue;: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/2577
19:02 dantheman was the reasoning jvcleave and bakercp made the arm one
19:03 tgfrerer there are a couple of issues, bulderbuchi has consolidated them in the past, i think
19:03 bilderbuchi yes, at 2577
19:03 tgfrerer =)
19:03 bilderbuchi I just MSed it to 0.9
19:04 tgfrerer so sorry, guys, i have to go to a belated thanksgivakkah dinner. will read up on the logs. see you later, and thanks for the c++11 feedback!
19:04 dantheman tgfrerer: later!!
19:04 admsyn bye!
19:05 ofarturo bye tim!
19:05 kylemcd see ya
19:05 bakercp ciao
19:05 bilderbuchi cya
19:06 kylemcd ok, so let's the the c++11 discussion there and move on
19:06 kylemcd admsyn back to you!
19:06 kylemcd "- Sound PR (https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/pull/2626 )"
19:06 admsyn Sure, it’s not important for the present bug fix weekend, but thought I’d put it up there because it’s a sensible goal for 0.9 IMO :)
19:06 admsyn quickly : I think it makes sense to merge the sound PR at the start of an upcoming bug fix week / weekend because it needs some attention from people that use linux, windows, rPI, & android (osx and iOS are covered), and merging the PR as-is will break the build for those OSes
19:07 admsyn but that's it, I figured that list on the PR was just for going over a bunch of 0.9 goals quickly :)
19:07 ofarturo i think we should merge this after 0.8.1
19:07 kylemcd ofarturo is 0.8.2 ok, or later?
19:08 dantheman shouldn't it be in 0.9.0?
19:08 admsyn there's an extra quirk, in that what's cool about the new features is the sound object interop API, so it'd be cool to do it a bit before a release, so I have time to PR the new functionality into some addons out in the ether :)
19:08 dantheman its a feature?
19:08 admsyn dantheman: yes
19:08 bilderbuchi from a semver POV, it's a pretty big _feature_ for a _bugfix_ release (0.8.2.). having said that, we're still pre-1.0, so that's no blocking issue, but it would be useful to get in the spirit already
19:08 ofarturo i think next release whatever it is is ok
19:09 admsyn yeah, I was saying it'd make sense for 0.9 :)
19:09 ofarturo i wanted to have this ready for 0.8.0 but there were somethings missing
19:09 dantheman well hopefully we get 0.8.1 then 0.9.0
19:09 bilderbuchi yeah, 0.9 sounds better
19:09 kylemcd ok cool. it sounds like 0.8.2 might just get turned into 0.9.0 then
19:09 bakercp +1 -0.9
19:09 dantheman fingers crossed there shouldn't be a 0.8.2
19:09 dantheman yeah
19:09 kylemcd great
19:09 kylemcd let's aim for that
19:09 dantheman only if like OMG this needs to get fix
19:10 kylemcd ok cool, last topic
19:10 ofarturo also ofSoundFile needs some work still it should probably inherit from ofFile, i can take a look at that but apart from that i think it's ready
19:10 kylemcd "- Poco Upgrade 1.5+"
19:10 ofarturo yes let's do that for next release too
19:10 ofarturo we are using a hacked version of poco
19:10 ofTheo 0.8.1?
19:11 ofarturo no >0.8.1
19:11 ofarturo whatever that is :)
19:11 bilderbuchi >0.8.1
19:11 ofTheo cool!
19:11 kylemcd and what's up with " - Poco::JSON"
19:11 dantheman we should use it
19:11 dantheman please
19:11 dantheman please
19:11 admsyn it'd be awwweeesome
19:11 dantheman haha
19:12 ofarturo yeah having json support would be good
19:12 bilderbuchi Serialize _all the things_? :D
19:12 ofarturo probably as an official addon
19:12 kylemcd ok who wants to write ofxJson?
19:12 bakercp I'm already working on ofxJSON
19:12 dantheman we need to do it up like ofXml
19:12 admsyn at least JSON's way simpler :)
19:12 kylemcd bakercp what is your timeline looking like for that
19:12 dantheman admsyn: yup
19:13 dantheman ofxJSON works pretty well
19:13 bakercp Close, but we need to get a newer version of Poco into the core
19:13 ofarturo we should probably tackle the problems with the current ofXML before that so the api's are as similar as possible
19:13 kylemcd and do you have any design questions you've run into?
19:13 dantheman ofarturo: agreed
19:13 bakercp ofxJSOn works great, but requires an additional library
19:13 dantheman I still haven't used it much
19:13 bakercp and yes, ofxXML and ofxJSON need parity
19:13 bakercp josh and I have talked abotu it quite a bit
19:13 bakercp there remains much work, but i'm interested.
19:14 kylemcd ok so bakercp can you add an issue aimed at 0.9.0 that describes what has yet to be done?
19:14 bakercp Yes
19:14 bilderbuchi great!
19:14 kylemcd it might be better to release 0.9.0 with new libs, and then release a 0.9.1 with new features?
19:14 kylemcd just to keep things moving
19:14 bilderbuchi that would be 0.10, then
19:14 kylemcd oh right
19:14 dantheman bakercp: does your ofxJSON do streaming parsing
19:14 bilderbuchi (features, not fixes)
19:15 bilderbuchi (sry to harp on this)
19:15 dantheman yeah
19:15 kylemcd but anyway, i just wonder if it makes sense to post a release with libs before building new features, just so we can keep releases steadily coming
19:15 dantheman its hard to get all these artist to think like release engineers
19:16 dantheman kylemcd: I mean sort of...but you should update the libs and features at the same time
19:16 dantheman if an updated lib fixes a bug then is a fix
19:17 dantheman so you could think that way
19:17 dantheman haha
19:17 kylemcd we can address it when we get there -- i'm just thinking that i've noticed it's good to break down releases into sub-releases as much as possible
19:17 dantheman kylemcd: yup tackle the big problems
19:17 dantheman by making them smaller
19:18 bilderbuchi kyle: indeed. release early, release often. but there's a sweet spot if releasing is not totally automated, cause releasing takes man-hours
19:18 kylemcd if you have to do A before B, and B before C, and they're all tagged for a release -- it makes more sense to just release A, then release B, then C. otherwise releases get slow.
19:18 kylemcd right
19:18 bilderbuchi so first step: release automation!
19:18 dantheman yup with that logic you'll have OF to 1.0 by the end of the year
19:18 dantheman :D
19:18 dantheman or 1.1
19:18 dantheman hah
19:18 admsyn let's get all chrome on this here project
19:18 kylemcd anyway, i don't think ofxJson sounds so big and crazy so it's not unreasonable to milestone it with the same release as a new poco lib
19:18 bakercp yeah, it's reasonable.
19:19 dantheman well they depend on each other
19:19 kylemcd ok and last thing
19:19 kylemcd which is back to bakercp again:
19:19 kylemcd "    - More complete UTF8/UTF16/UTF32 support (means we don't need ICU for internationalization / Typography) -- (btw, much of this also comes with c++11)"
19:19 bakercp that's all Poco stuff.
19:19 admsyn so do we get it for free with a POCO update?
19:19 kylemcd yeah i just wanted to hear anything about how this relates to typography
19:19 dantheman oh man
19:19 bakercp pretty much
19:19 bakercp once we have this stuff in the core, ofxFont stuff can move forward
19:20 dantheman nice
19:20 kylemcd ok, so let's merge a new poco after 0.8.1 and we can start working on features
19:20 bakercp the Unicode support problem has been the big issue so far
19:20 kylemcd then depending on how they are coming, and if anything is going too slowly, we can push it back and make a release
19:20 bakercp -- basically I put all of this on there because i need help getting a new apothecary forumla for Poco written for all of the platforms :)
19:21 kylemcd hah, you should have just said so ;)
19:21 bakercp And I was hoping for volunteers :)
19:21 kylemcd that's a good thing to ping the dev list with
19:21 kylemcd can you write a quick email saying what you need, and why?
19:21 bakercp OSX is fairly easy and I think Linux would be too.  But we need the windows support fixed up ...
19:21 dantheman you see this http://osrc.dfm.io/openFrameworks-cpp11/apothecary
19:22 kylemcd linux, windows, android, iOS, and osx poco recipes right?
19:22 dantheman lol there is your list of people
19:22 bakercp nice :)
19:23 dantheman yeah I think
19:23 bakercp I'll reach out and try to the poco push organized.
19:23 bilderbuchi ha what, I'm a major contributor? lol ^^
19:23 dantheman lol
19:23 dantheman bilderbuchi: haha
19:23 kylemcd ok great
19:23 kylemcd any leftover topics?
19:24 dantheman xcode plugin
19:24 bilderbuchi lol that site is hilarious: http://osrc.dfm.io/bilderbuchi
19:24 admsyn no no, that's post-post meeting :)
19:24 dantheman haha
19:24 admsyn is there anything RE: the new site / forum upgrade that needs discussing?
19:25 admsyn I noticed I was having trouble logging in w/github
19:25 bakercp Kyle, our developer personalities are similar :) http://osrc.dfm.io/bakercp
19:25 dantheman lol
19:25 dantheman http://osrc.dfm.io/danthemellowman
19:25 jvcleave this site is fun too http://www.ohloh.net/p/openFrameworks/estimated_cost
19:25 jvcleave http://www.ohloh.net/p/processing/estimated_cost
19:25 dantheman I'm only noteworthy
19:25 dantheman bakercp is EPIC
19:26 ofarturo admsyn you should ask for a new password for your old user if you log with github it won't be connected to your old user
19:26 bilderbuchi admsyn: new site/forum? the discourse instance?
19:26 admsyn bilderbuchi: yeah i think ofarturo just pulled the trigger on it before the meeting :d
19:26 admsyn *:D
19:26 bilderbuchi ah.
19:26 kylemcd ofarturo -- i didn't realize this was pushed
19:26 kylemcd did this just happen?
19:26 bilderbuchi me neither :D
19:27 ofarturo yes just before the meeting :)
19:27 bakercp (I love discourse, just got it set up for my research group @ SAIC http://talk.olab.io)
19:27 kylemcd this image is broken for me http://openframeworks.cc/images/ofw-logo.png
19:27 ofarturo it might be dns cache issues
19:27 kylemcd ok
19:27 ofarturo the image is working
19:27 dantheman oh fancy
19:27 admsyn 's propagating yo
19:28 pizthewiz The markdown formatting is super nice
19:28 ofarturo :)
19:28 dantheman finally cleared my cache
19:28 bilderbuchi arturo: are the accounts linked with the Global discourse accounts (e.g. on discourse.org)?
19:28 dantheman sexy
19:28 dantheman wow
19:28 kylemcd i'm scheduling a tweet for tomorrow morning EST that announces the new forum
19:28 dantheman really now?
19:28 bakercp +10000 for forum.openframeworks.cc
19:28 ofTheo loving the new forum btw
19:28 ofTheo super nice!
19:28 dantheman naw make that hit around lunch time
19:28 dantheman 11:53 am
19:29 kylemcd dantheman u got it
19:29 dantheman the auto load is nice
19:29 dantheman this is swanky
19:29 jvcleave might want to let @of_forum know - it might be broken
19:29 dantheman and you can autologin with stuff
19:29 dantheman imma have to connect my github
19:29 admsyn poor @of_forum :(
19:29 dantheman yeah he borked
19:30 dantheman maybe there is an API with this one
19:30 dantheman or a way to get an RSS feed?
19:30 admsyn HOW MODERN
19:30 ofarturo yes i told him some weeks ago but need to remind him
19:30 ofarturo any page can be suffixed with .json or .rss
19:30 bilderbuchi > any page can be suffixed with .json or .rss
19:30 bilderbuchi sweet!
19:31 dantheman ofarturo: really?
19:31 dantheman that's awesome
19:31 kylemcd ok, meeting adjourned :) thanks everyone
19:32 admsyn ofxJSON::forum_post
19:32 dantheman admsyn: yup
19:32 bilderbuchi unit testing now?
19:32 dantheman its coming
19:32 pizthewiz 👍
19:32 bilderbuchi post-meeting:
19:32 bilderbuchi @testing: @diasbruno has a branch with working (unit) tests, there's an issue where the discussion happened. good place to start i think.
19:33 bilderbuchi he even got automated Travis tests working
19:33 bilderbuchi see https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/1068
19:33 admsyn does automated Travis tests = it tries to compile it?
19:33 bilderbuchi i would assume so, yes
19:33 admsyn as in, there's not an elaborate test suite just hanging out on the interenet somewhere? :)
19:34 bilderbuchi huh?
19:34 dantheman idk
19:34 bilderbuchi it's not exactly elaborate (for OF) yet, afaik, cause that's a huge task to do
19:34 admsyn err sorry, I meant the travis test = it tries to compile, and if it does we're passing? OR is there actually some sort of test suite with unit tests going on in there?
19:34 dantheman I thought I saw dan wilcox working on something
19:34 bilderbuchi but he got a first set of unit tests implemented
19:34 admsyn cools
19:35 bilderbuchi ic. yes, unit tests too
19:35 bakercp (what unit testing software is most popular in the of world these days?)
19:35 bakercp (I'm in the process of adding unit testing to a few of my addons)
19:35 admsyn travis kinda makes the most sense IMO, assuming we're not going to get suuuuper into it
19:35 admsyn because it has nice github integration
19:36 admsyn but if we wanted to do the screencap and compare thing I don't think we'll get cute little github badges :)
19:36 bilderbuchi travis is not unit testing, it's build automation ;-)
19:36 admsyn welp
19:36 bilderbuchi but travis _runs_ unit tests
19:37 bilderbuchi if you want
19:37 dantheman right
19:37 dantheman I'm a fan of the build it yourself type of unit tests
19:37 bilderbuchi check out
19:37 dantheman at least a test harness
19:37 bilderbuchi https://github.com/diasbruno/openFrameworks/tree/tests
19:38 dantheman cause then you write your tests and the harness auto loads them etc
19:38 ofTheo hey - all I have to head out. got a date with an apple genius :)
19:38 bilderbuchi he's using cpptest btw (as a testing framwroks)
19:38 dantheman awww
19:38 bilderbuchi *framework
19:38 dantheman ofTheo: enjoy
19:38 bilderbuchi hf
19:38 admsyn bye!
19:38 dantheman (get the new mbp_r)
19:38 ofTheo thanks all! :)
19:38 ofTheo haha
19:39 ofTheo excited for 0.8.1! bye!
19:40 bilderbuchi so, I guess all i'm saying is that someone already laid the groundwork, and we "just" need to build upon that
19:41 dantheman wordy
19:42 admsyn sounds good :)
19:42 dantheman has anyone else see weird shit with the programmable renderer where the screen goes black
19:43 dantheman like it stops drawing
19:43 dantheman or it does but with the color black
19:44 admsyn dantheman: what platform?
19:44 dantheman osx
19:45 dantheman its like launch the app
19:45 dantheman ok it works
19:45 dantheman close it
19:45 dantheman launch the app directly again...then it flickers and goes black
19:45 admsyn :/
19:45 dantheman GLFW etc
19:46 dantheman but then you like unfull screen it and refuel screen it or show/hide control panel it snaps back
19:46 dantheman full screen*
19:46 dantheman probably a push/pop style matrix somewhere but that usually yells at you
19:47 admsyn so I guess RE GLFW specifics, what's up there?
19:47 admsyn would it make sense to tackle those first, so maybe fixes could get into GLFW proper by the end of the week?
19:47 admsyn or is that super naive :)
19:48 dantheman idk
19:48 dantheman maybe
19:48 admsyn alright then, problem solved :)
19:49 admsyn it looks like they've got a fix for that no-monitor one, that looks like it makes sense
19:49 admsyn but I don't have the requisite headless mac-mini to test it :/
19:50 dantheman I do
19:50 dantheman haha
19:50 dantheman :P
19:50 dantheman I have a few machine I can try
19:50 admsyn alright then -> https://github.com/glfw/glfw/commit/cc7f0bd
19:50 bilderbuchi so, what was that unit testing item about?
19:50 dantheman idk
19:50 bilderbuchi i was not at the meeting yet at the time
19:50 admsyn in the post-meeting?
19:50 dantheman I didn't put it on the agenda
19:50 dantheman and kyle peaced out
19:50 dantheman peaced out
19:51 admsyn log's here : http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/2013-12-01
19:51 admsyn but I think the gist is "what do we want to do about it" ?
19:51 admsyn building off of that person's tests seems super-sensible to me..
19:52 dantheman yup
19:53 dantheman pretty much
19:54 bilderbuchi we also had benben's already working OF build server
19:54 bilderbuchi so there's lots of things available
19:54 dantheman right
19:54 bilderbuchi http://videosynthesis.net/oftesting/
19:54 dantheman I've got OF building on my linux box... makeitdoathing.com
19:54 dantheman but I don't have a GPU so I can't do stuff
19:55 dantheman but I can run the ofxHTTP stuff...headless
19:57 dantheman see http://makeitdoathing.com:8998/
19:57 admsyn huh, doathing.com is unclaimed
19:58 admsyn just fyi <_< >_>
19:58 dantheman really
19:58 dantheman its also $300
19:58 admsyn vOv
19:59 jvcleave these canadian emoticons :)
19:59 dantheman well that was network solutions
19:59 dantheman godaddy is 12.99
20:00 admsyn well, do a thing, maaaaan
20:00 admsyn so Post-Post-Meeting: Is anyone having issues with that Xcode Plugin?
20:01 admsyn I should've embedded some analytics in there :p
20:01 admsyn right in Xcode, 'cause why not
20:03 dantheman lulz ordered
20:03 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
20:03 dantheman I like the plugin
20:03 admsyn nice
20:03 dantheman it should do more things
20:03 dantheman MOAR FEATURES PLEZ
20:03 admsyn :)
20:04 admsyn I was thinking of adding a teaching mode, where when you go to add an addon it pops up an in-between modal dialog that explains what it's about to do "I'm going to add X Y Z to your header search paths.." etc
20:04 dantheman that would be nice
20:04 admsyn so it could be a decent transition tool for beginners as opposed to just kinda being a black box
20:04 dantheman can you generate a new project?
20:04 admsyn I'm most of the way there
20:04 admsyn so, my gameplan for that:
20:05 admsyn Xcode templates aren't powerful enough to make a project just like the PG spits out
20:05 dantheman right
20:05 admsyn so I think I'm going to make a template that spits out a close-enough version, and then the plugin fleshes it out after it's opened the first time
20:05 ofarturo1 joined #openframeworks
20:05 dantheman I think that already exists
20:05 admsyn it seems alittle wonky but in practice it doesn't seem too crazy
20:05 dantheman like the project template
20:05 admsyn sort of
20:06 admsyn there was one for Xcode 3 IIRC/
20:06 admsyn ?
20:06 dantheman isn't it berried somewhere
20:06 dantheman buried*
20:07 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/tree/master/scripts/osx/template
20:07 admsyn I think that's been out for a while, because it was Xcode 3, but I'm not sure
20:07 admsyn but that's just the empty project
20:07 admsyn e.g. for the PG to copy
20:07 dantheman right
20:07 admsyn Xcode templates are these sort of plist things with this weird inheritance hierarchy :/
20:07 dantheman oh right
20:07 dantheman ok
20:07 dantheman yeah
20:08 admsyn but yeah I want to do that for sures
20:08 admsyn with like a minimal "just main.cpp" version, and such
20:08 admsyn oh, any ideas for doing cool things with the addon_config metadata?
20:09 admsyn I was thinking of integrating the addon thumbnails somehow :3
20:09 admsyn gratuitous gifs
20:10 bilderbuchi ok, I'll head out now.
20:10 bilderbuchi btw, the reason I have pretty much disappeared lately is our new roommate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6wwxkjh883nmav/Erik_Neugeborenengalerie.jpg ^^
20:10 jvcleave admsyn do you have a choice for the folders or is it always openframeworks/addons?
20:10 admsyn bilderbuchi: congraaaats :D
20:10 admsyn jvcleave: yeah you can set the path to any arbitrary folder
20:11 jvcleave nice!
20:11 admsyn and it'll remember it on subsequent Xcode boots :)
20:11 bilderbuchi thanks :-)
20:12 jvcleave bilderbuchi congrats! I thought I last saw you guys in Belgrade but I guess that has been 9 months ago :)
20:13 bilderbuchi well, we already had an undeclared passenger at the time. ;-)
20:13 admsyn haha
20:13 admsyn so I guess you're alittle busy for resonate?
20:13 admsyn PS is anyone going to resonate?
20:13 * admsyn is
20:13 dantheman bilderbuchi: awesome tax deduction
20:13 jvcleave i want to but no current tix/flight etc
20:13 dantheman haha
20:14 bilderbuchi ha yeah, won't make resonate next year I think
20:14 bilderbuchi :-)
20:14 dantheman same
20:14 jvcleave admsyn - you?
20:14 admsyn yepp going
20:14 dantheman we need an OF one of these http://www.customink.com/styles/bella-infant-one-piece/141000
20:14 dantheman haha
20:15 jvcleave i should and just skip eyeo
20:16 dantheman work said they would send me and blair cover half everything
20:16 admsyn wicked
20:16 dantheman yeah but its way out in april
20:16 bilderbuchi onesie: hehe. leaning more towards one of these, myself: http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&amp;source=images&amp;cd=&amp;cad=rja&amp;docid=swuHm83rVyyvVM&amp;tbnid=-9yqLolq9z4upM:&amp;ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&amp;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.paperspencils.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F08%2Flevelonehuman.jpg&amp;ei=HJmbUtflJMeP7AabloHgCg&amp;psig=AFQjCNGolRrTaL-7NvUZ9V6Xo2gGnzI5HA&amp;ust=1386015388694318
20:16 dantheman we gotta make sure we're not like booked
20:16 dantheman I should just buy two tixs
20:16 admsyn yeah makes sense
20:17 admsyn it's not a huge ticket though, just the festival
20:17 bilderbuchi urgh google, Y U produce ugly URLs?
20:17 jvcleave admsyn - you doing any 3 day workshops?
20:18 admsyn jvcleave: yeah I went for karsten shmidt's clojure dealy
20:18 admsyn because LISP
20:18 jvcleave that is a good one
20:19 bilderbuchi ok, bye all!
20:19 admsyn bilderbuchi: bye!
20:19 bilderbuchi left #openframeworks
20:21 jvcleave i assume you use Eclipse with Clojure?
20:21 admsyn I think you can use whatever
20:21 admsyn I've got vim set up for it
20:22 admsyn it runs on the JVM, though
20:23 admsyn actually I think most of the Clojure people use emacs
20:23 admsyn because LISP :)
20:23 jvcleave yeah - just saw this leiningen thing
20:23 jvcleave https://github.com/technomancy/leiningen/blob/stable/doc/TUTORIAL.md
20:24 admsyn yepp that's what I did :)
20:24 admsyn and then I got overtone and REPL'd that for awhile
20:24 admsyn good times
20:25 admsyn would recommend
20:25 admsyn if you hate your ears, I suppose
20:26 admsyn you can brew install everything you need on OSX IIRC
20:27 colinsface joined #openframeworks
20:28 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome to http://openframeworks.cc/ | logs at http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/ | bugfix week! https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues?milestone=13&amp;state=open
20:34 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
21:25 colinsface joined #openframeworks
21:25 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
21:26 pizthewiz dantheman: have you any hints to squeak out performance on the Raspberry Pi? Even in a simple app where I'm enabling alpha, and drawing one image over the other, I'm getting pretty low framerates - better to use a shader and FBO?
21:27 dantheman what are you trying to do?
21:27 bakercp joined #openframeworks
21:27 pizthewiz I'm just starting with a simple crossfading slideshow
21:28 dantheman oh yeah I'll have to fire up my pi with my instagram loader
21:28 dantheman I mean the arm does suffer from poor context switching
21:28 dantheman also if you use the faster SD cards you'll get faster File IO etc
21:29 pizthewiz Hmm lemme check what class I'm using, but even with two images in memory I get less than 10fps… I think I have a 256/256 split at present too.
21:29 dantheman but yeah I did see a performance hit when I was parsing the JSON and saving/loading images to the file system
21:29 dantheman but i was running at 30 fps
21:30 dantheman how big are your images?
21:30 dantheman that is the question
21:30 pizthewiz 1024x768!
21:30 dantheman hmm
21:30 pizthewiz (test slug images)
21:30 pizthewiz Yeah my SD card is class 10, that should be plenty OK
21:30 dantheman yeah
21:30 dantheman should be
21:31 pizthewiz I was gonna try going shader/FBO instead of enableAlpha/white color/draw back/white color with alpha/draw front/disableAlpha to see if it is any better
21:32 happiness joined #openframeworks
21:41 dantheman pizthewiz: I was just doing this haha
21:41 dantheman http://pastebin.com/J5ubyfp9
21:41 dantheman lol
21:42 dantheman but these images were only 612 by 612
21:42 pizthewiz Still though… maybe my memory/gpu split needs another look
21:43 pizthewiz Your app is running 1920x1080 fullscreen?
21:43 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
21:43 dantheman yup
21:43 dantheman oh
21:43 dantheman so are you reallocating a new ofImage each time you load one?
21:44 dantheman and pushing that back on a vector?
21:45 pizthewiz I have a vector of URLs and two ofImages that I'm doing this with: image.loadImage(response.data);
21:45 dantheman oh oh
21:46 dantheman yeah so I found out you should just save the images there
21:46 dantheman and then load them outside that async call
21:46 dantheman so the buffer gets written to a file and then you load the file when you see if in some directory listener
21:46 dantheman I know it sounds weird
21:46 dantheman but it works better
21:47 dantheman on the pi
21:49 pizthewiz So locally cache the image to the FS in App:urlResponse(ofHttpResponse & response)?
21:49 spudface joined #openframeworks
21:49 dantheman yeah
21:50 pizthewiz Interesting, does that avoid some spin locking or something?
21:58 dantheman o_O
21:59 dantheman I just always cache my images locally
22:02 pizthewiz Cool, I'll write a little cache manager to not fill the disk up and give that a try - thanks!
22:02 dantheman what's your data source?
22:04 dantheman pizthewiz: you see this https://github.com/companje/ofxAssets
22:04 dantheman lol
22:06 pizthewiz Sweet, I'm pulling them all over HTTP
22:06 dantheman err https://github.com/elliotwoods/ofxAssets
22:10 pizthewiz This doesn't write them to disk, just offers a convenient loader yeah?
22:10 dantheman yeah so if you structure your caching like this....you can then load it with the addon
22:10 pizthewiz Yep, definitely cool though
22:10 dantheman but I just found it today
22:10 dantheman looks neat
22:25 underdoeg left #openframeworks
22:26 spudeater joined #openframeworks
22:32 spudeater joined #openframeworks
22:37 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
22:41 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
22:54 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
23:12 jvcleave joined #openframeworks
23:49 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
23:57 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary