Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2014-01-05

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
23:27 admsyn joined #openframeworks
23:51 admsyn joined #openframeworks
00:48 admsyn joined #openframeworks
01:04 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
01:21 egradman joined #openframeworks
01:22 egradman I'm staring at the source code, and my C++ is failing me.  If I have an ofxIntSlider pointer, how do I get the current value of that slider?
01:23 egradman oh hell.  I get it.  I just deref the pointer and it coerces to the value.  nm.
01:30 admsyn joined #openframeworks
02:10 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
02:57 admsyn joined #openframeworks
03:09 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
03:16 jtnimoy joined #openframeworks
03:46 jtnimoy joined #openframeworks
05:16 jacres joined #openframeworks
05:35 davidnunez joined #openframeworks
06:42 jacres joined #openframeworks
06:59 oktapodi joined #openframeworks
08:31 waffles joined #openframeworks
08:44 jtnimoy_ joined #openframeworks
08:52 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
10:03 LCID_Fire joined #openframeworks
10:28 jacres joined #openframeworks
10:39 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
10:55 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
10:56 LCID_Fire ofarturo, is there a reason why the buffers passed to glVertexAttribPointer (for TARGET_OPENGLES) are not tightly packed?
11:03 ofarturo you mean having position, color, texture... as contiguous memory instead of different attributes?
11:09 LCID_Fire joined #openframeworks
11:12 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
11:12 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
11:12 ofarturo you mean having position, color, texture... as contiguous memory instead of different attributes?
11:23 ramzes joined #openframeworks
11:26 LCID_Fire_ Since sizeof(ofVec3f) is 12, it reads 12 bytes from the buffer and interleaves 12 bytes stride - which looks strange to me
11:40 LCID_Fire_ sorry my bad
11:45 ofarturo yes with ofVbo, you can pass a * to float and specify a custom stride but in ofVboMesh, since they are stored internally in a vector of vec3f it would be messy and probably slower having to use a custom class to pass them to the gpu
11:45 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
11:46 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
11:51 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
11:55 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
11:56 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
11:59 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
12:04 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
12:05 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
12:07 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
12:08 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
12:17 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
12:24 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
12:25 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
12:53 jacres joined #openframeworks
13:19 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
13:32 jtnimoy joined #openframeworks
13:36 Hurtzy joined #openframeworks
13:52 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
14:06 LCID_Fire_ ofarturo, could you explain why ofMatrixStack::vFlipped is true by default?
14:10 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
14:19 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
14:25 LCID_Fire__ joined #openframeworks
14:33 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
14:38 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
15:18 jtnimoy joined #openframeworks
15:25 jacres joined #openframeworks
15:56 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
16:38 jedahan joined #openframeworks
16:42 oneironaut joined #openframeworks
16:50 jtnimoy_ joined #openframeworks
17:13 dantheman joined #openframeworks
17:13 dantheman sup all
17:22 jtnimoy_ hey
17:25 oktapodi_ joined #openframeworks
17:34 dantheman anyone around??
17:35 jtnimoy_ it might just be us.. early in the day.
17:38 dantheman yeah these usually start round 1
17:39 dantheman kyle sent me some code late last night so he might still be sleeping
17:44 jtnimoy_ i plan on sticking around all day except when i nap
17:49 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
17:57 ofTheo joined #openframeworks
17:59 admsyn joined #openframeworks
18:00 jedahan joined #openframeworks
18:00 admsyn hi all
18:00 ofTheo hey hey!
18:01 jtnimoy_ hi Theo~
18:01 jtnimoy_ hi admsyn
18:01 ofTheo hey josh! :)
18:02 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
18:02 dantheman joined #openframeworks
18:02 dantheman lol
18:02 ofzach joined #openframeworks
18:02 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome to http://openframeworks.cc/ | logs at http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/ | meeting piratepad http://piratepad.net/ofdev-2014-1-5
18:02 dantheman hey zach
18:02 ofzach hey hey !
18:03 dantheman kyle said he'd be on shortly
18:03 ofzach cool cool
18:03 dantheman WOOHOOO my flight out of the city just got canceled
18:03 ofzach b/c of weather?
18:04 dantheman yeah
18:04 ofzach nyc?
18:04 dantheman the plane that slid around JFK has everything out of there screwed up
18:04 ofzach wow
18:04 dantheman yah heading to Sundance via Denver
18:05 dantheman gotta stop off at the Fabs to check things out
18:05 dantheman dev a little
18:05 ofzach nice
18:05 dantheman its a little rushed
18:05 dantheman but when isn't it
18:05 admsyn I did a thing that wasn't rushed once
18:05 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
18:05 dantheman admsyn: SHUT UP
18:05 admsyn it was nice
18:06 dantheman haha
18:06 dantheman I bet
18:06 admsyn art school~~
18:06 ofzach haha
18:06 kylemcd hi everyone! sorry i'm late
18:06 dantheman ahhhh the ring leader is here
18:06 kylemcd we've got zach & theo so let's get started
18:06 dantheman arturo was around
18:07 kylemcd the pirate pad is in the topic, but again here: piratepad.net/ofdev-2014-1-5
18:07 kylemcd er http://piratepad.net/ofdev-2014-1-5
18:07 kylemcd first order of business:
18:07 kylemcd - did the 'rush' work?
18:08 admsyn IMO no
18:08 dantheman I only got to fix a one liner in an example
18:08 dantheman :(
18:08 kylemcd curious to get feedback about the difference between doing a weekend merge/fix drive vs a week long thing
18:08 admsyn I think the predictions RE: getting too spread out were pretty much what happened
18:08 dantheman arturo was making progress on some render bugs I think
18:09 jtnimoy_ hi Kyle and Zach
18:09 ofTheo yeah, I didn't have the time I wanted to push on bugs
18:09 dantheman there were some major bugs addressed I think
18:09 kylemcd ofzach what do you think
18:10 ofzach I wasn't really tracking this
18:10 dantheman haha
18:10 kylemcd ok
18:10 * dantheman ofzach 'bug fix weekend ...what bug fix weekend'
18:10 dantheman haha
18:11 kylemcd well, we could try it again -- the next week is on the 13th-19th
18:11 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
18:11 dantheman I'm installing
18:11 kylemcd or we could go back to the weekend model instead of the whole-week model
18:11 dantheman that weekend
18:11 dantheman 13-16th
18:11 dantheman after the 16th might be free to tackle things
18:11 ofTheo Another approach would be to just pick a release date?
18:11 admsyn I think the weekend model works better, it's a more concrete target to block out some time for, and stuff tends to kind of spill out over the subsequent week if it's important anyway
18:12 ofTheo and then we work towards that
18:12 dantheman what ofTheo said
18:12 ofzach +1
18:12 dantheman set a day for like Friday, February 14
18:13 lmccart joined #openframeworks
18:13 dantheman give the world a give Valentines day gift of a bug fix release
18:13 dantheman err
18:13 kylemcd ok, that's cool -- but what happened to "release when it's ready"? i thought we tried setting dates for 0.8.0 and it created tension
18:13 ofzach what is preventing a release now or close to now?
18:13 ofzach (considering some bugs have been fixed)
18:13 dantheman second give/big
18:14 kylemcd ofzach -- just these issues https://github.com/openframeworks/open​Frameworks/issues?direction=desc&l​abels=regression&milestone=13&​page=1&sort=created&state=open
18:14 kylemcd oh sorry these https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks​/issues?direction=desc&labels=&milestone​=13&page=1&sort=created&state=open
18:14 dantheman 50%
18:14 dantheman I should look at this https://github.com/openframewo​rks/openFrameworks/issues/2719
18:14 ofzach but do we have to hit all these for next release?
18:15 dantheman I wonder if we should have that link someplace easy to find
18:15 kylemcd as i understand it, there are two models for releasing: 1. we put issues to milestones, and release when the milestone is completed. 2. we pick a date and release the best we've got on that date.
18:16 ofTheo 3: we do 2: and make 1: happen by then
18:16 ofTheo haha
18:16 kylemcd so if we're sticking with 1, we should just push issues back to make 0.8.1 smaller so we can release it sooner
18:16 kylemcd if we want to switch to 2 that's fine also, but we have to reconsider how we're using milestones
18:17 ofTheo I think the date thing is just a good motivator
18:17 ofTheo if we close issues earlier then we can either release earlier or have more time for heavy testing
18:18 ofTheo I think leaving one issue for each release in the milestone which is "thorough testing" would be good
18:18 ofTheo when thats closed then we release?
18:19 kylemcd hmm hard to say
18:20 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
18:20 ofzach I think have dates in relationship to a large release would be really helpful
18:22 kylemcd ok. i'm going to send a quick email to the dev list about this, i think it's a longer discussion
18:22 ofzach like we say, for the first months after a large release, we'll have smaller releases
18:22 ofzach almost doesn't matter how many things are changed, it just gives impetus to fix things
18:22 ofzach similar to having rc1, rc2
18:23 ofzach longer times between releases I think means more harder, larger problems -- smaller stuff doesn't get to users
18:23 ofzach (smaller, quick fixes)
18:24 kylemcd ok i'll summarize this in an email and try to get everyone's feedback
18:25 ofzach next
18:25 kylemcd :)
18:25 kylemcd - project generator refactoring
18:25 ofzach ok here's the deal
18:25 kylemcd not sure who left that, but, zach...?
18:25 kylemcd ah ok
18:25 ofzach yeah I am warming up my fingers to type
18:26 ofzach so the PG is annoyingly split in two places --
18:26 kylemcd sf is 62f right now
18:26 ofzach haha
18:26 * admsyn 😑
18:26 ofzach in japan it was discussed to make the PG into a library and build different front ends
18:27 kylemcd yes
18:27 ofzach the pg simple was a personal attempt to make something really simple for users, it's worked fine, showing signs of aging now
18:28 ofzach but in order to make the pg simple, I had to reduce the code down to almost nothing and simplify things, since the pg in the OF folder, which generates projects, got gnarly
18:28 ofzach I've started down the path of refactoring things, but I could use some more help / hands with this
18:28 ofzach the OSX parsing in particular is gnarly, and that makes adding new features hard
18:29 * admsyn offers help / hands (though I'm only good for OSX/iOS, really)
18:29 dantheman yeah there is some gnarly stuff in there
18:29 dantheman and half the time I have to rebuilt it on linux64 so it works right
18:29 dantheman or that is the old old PG
18:29 dantheman that you can still update projects with
18:29 ofzach does it look good when you run it ??
18:29 ofzach :)
18:29 dantheman yah looks awesome
18:29 ofTheo a single PG lib would make a lot of sense
18:29 dantheman yeah
18:30 dantheman like an add-on?
18:30 kylemcd ofzach, when we discussed this at BRIC the other day it sounded like the best route would be to write a PG lib that uses obj-c/cocoa for osx/ios projects
18:30 ofTheo I think just consolidated and clean
18:30 ofzach hmmmm... there's some drawbacks to obj-c
18:30 ofzach there's huge plus in terms of code, would makes things so simple
18:30 kylemcd with a single interface/superclass that allows us to call os-specific generators
18:31 ofzach but means that doing releases (making project files) for osx on non osx machines would be harder
18:31 kylemcd and eventually if we can swap out the obj-c/cocoa with raw c/c++ we can compile it on other platforms too
18:31 ofTheo e.g: right now we can us PG on the web
18:31 ofTheo but if we did obj-c we couldn't
18:31 ofTheo another approach is to do it all in a web friendly language like python
18:31 kylemcd yes, but i think from adam's work and from what mach's been saying, it's clear that we can just do it with obj-c quickly
18:32 kylemcd and then swap it out with another implementation in time
18:32 kylemcd and it wouldn't be too much "wasted" work
18:32 ofzach I don't think that's really likely to happen
18:32 admsyn yeah there's some decent traction in ruby RE: wrangling xcode project files IIRC
18:32 ofzach I mean, I don't think we go down the obj-c route and then come back....
18:32 kylemcd oh ok, so what should we do instead? python, ruby, c/c++?
18:33 dantheman well on linux it could just be a script
18:33 dantheman bash baby
18:33 ofzach in general, I don't think the C++ thing for OSX is terrible, just needs to be cleaned up
18:33 kylemcd oh, ok -- that was not my impression :) that's great then
18:33 ofzach it works, it's just not super enjoyable to code
18:34 ofzach partly because it's really not clean
18:34 kylemcd so did you want to lead this zach or are we looking for other people to write the backend library
18:34 dantheman ofzach: xml parsing and generation isn't usually pretty code
18:34 ofzach and partly because it's like walking around in the dark
18:34 ofzach trying to find the doorknob
18:34 ofTheo would be great if we could get this as a summer of code thing?
18:35 dantheman well was the problem this passed summer that no one applied soon enough?
18:35 ofzach yes def...  in the meantime, I could use a couple of pairs of eyes to discuss the code with / review it
18:35 ofTheo one other thing, could this be an effort that is more general purpose?
18:35 ofTheo ie: a lib for generating project files?
18:35 admsyn ofzach: I'll volunteer for that, assuming we're talking about the C++ wrangling of Xcode stuff
18:35 ofTheo or do we then start duplicating cmake type efforts?
18:36 ofzach at some point, I feel like we are heading into cake territory all of which are 100% about making a new project file
18:36 ofzach I think there's some value in libs that are about modifying a project file
18:36 ofTheo yeah
18:36 ofTheo thats something I wish the PG could do
18:37 ofTheo take an existing file and add to it / remove from it
18:37 ofzach well it does do that actually, just the simple PG doesn't offer that
18:37 ofzach the old old PG did that
18:37 ofTheo right but everything is based on having a perfect template file
18:37 ofTheo which is sort of why OS X PG is so delicate right now
18:38 ofzach it doesn't have to be, but that's really just OSX
18:38 ofzach OSX PG is still really feeling around in the dark, unless we can do plist stuff....
18:38 ofTheo right.
18:38 ofzach some libs like https://github.com/animetrics/PlistCpp might help, haven't had much luck yet
18:38 dantheman doesn't admsyn's plugin do plist stuff?
18:39 ofzach obj-c
18:39 dantheman or not yet
18:39 admsyn dantheman: it's sort of a hack, I had to figure all that stuff out but it's really xcode itself that does the actual file manipulation
18:39 pizthewiz It is too bad Cinder's TinderBox is closed source, as it seems as though there might be more in common than not
18:39 jtnimoy_ re: closed tinderbox: yeah, that's a bummer.
18:39 dantheman pizthewiz: I haven't used it?
18:40 ofzach yeah if we can make some thing really general purpose it will be helpful
18:40 ofzach (i.e., split PG into different libs -- one for manipulating project files, one for parsing addons / figuring out how to add them)
18:41 pizthewiz TinderBox:Cinder :: projectGenerator:openFrameworks -- perhaps it would be worth asking if they'd consider open sourcing it?
18:41 dantheman kk
18:42 dantheman we should get people to sign yup for it
18:42 dantheman crank it out
18:42 ofzach yeah I can take this discussion off the list, just want to raise the call for help
18:42 ofzach (off IRC)
18:43 kylemcd ok maybe post to the list zach? just saying "i'm looking for help with x, y, and z, and the goals are a and b"
18:43 ofzach yep will do
18:43 kylemcd awesome
18:43 kylemcd next:
18:43 kylemcd - major 0.8 headaches (tr1, etc)
18:45 ofzach so I was wondering about this tr1 bug and anything else that really hurts on 0.8
18:45 kylemcd i think the try thing is a product of 10.9
18:45 kylemcd tr1
18:45 ofzach my students had major issues with this
18:46 ofzach same issues with iOS
18:46 admsyn wasn't it a combination of 10.9 and needing support for 10.6? IIRC it's something to do with needing to set the SDK to 10.8, but 10.6 has no idea that 10.8 exists and there's no way to e.g. #ifdef it in xcode
18:46 dantheman the coolest thing is if we could bring back the advanced options like building the example projects and generating the other OS
18:47 dantheman next item kylemcd ?
18:47 kylemcd not yet
18:47 dantheman http://piratepad.net/ofdev-projectgenerator
18:48 dantheman started a pad for the generator discussion
18:48 ofzach ah ok - I will write an email shortly
18:48 kylemcd are there any other big issues your students had zach?
18:48 ofzach project generator template for iOS was bad I think
18:49 dantheman was is just old?
18:49 ofzach it's a simple fix
18:49 ofzach in testApp.h ofxiOS -> ofxiOSApp or something like that
18:50 oktapodi joined #openframeworks
18:50 kylemcd i think the real solution for the try thing is to figure out where that file or its corollary is in the newer sdk and add an ifdef
18:50 pizthewiz admsyn: I think you are right, it is related to the specific SDK configuration - hence why jtnimoy_ made the 10.6 & 10.7 SDKs available on the dev list for those that updated to 10.9
18:50 kylemcd admsyn it sounds like you were just saying you can't add an ifdef though...?
18:51 kylemcd also, relevant issues:
18:51 kylemcd osx https://github.com/openframewo​rks/openFrameworks/issues/2741
18:51 kylemcd iOS https://github.com/openframewo​rks/openFrameworks/issues/2695
18:51 admsyn yeah because it's a project setting, not actual code
18:51 dantheman pizthewiz: do you have those links?
18:51 dantheman I need to get them on my 10.9 mbp_r
18:51 admsyn and AFAICT there's not really any logic in xcode settings to say something like "if this thing exists, then use that"
18:52 pizthewiz dantheman: check the of-dev list archives from October, lemme see
18:52 dantheman word
18:52 dantheman I need to get my new email on that list
18:52 kylemcd admsyn but can't we detect which sdk is in use and include relevant files using an ifdef?
18:53 admsyn kylemcd: I don't think so..
18:53 admsyn RE: tr1 in osx / iOS, assuming there's not a stealthy solution, would it make sense to ease this issue by making sure that whatever comes up on google for "openframeworks tr1" is something helpful?
18:53 kylemcd http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11707​936/c-mac-preprocessor-flag-for-base-sdk
18:53 jtnimoy_ yes, that is it, kyle
18:53 pizthewiz The Base SDK setting in Xcode is defined as SDKROOT though
18:54 dantheman I just moved my email on the dev-list does someone need to approve me?
18:54 ofzach I think if we have issues like this, it makes sense to potentially have a 10.9 release with that set right
18:55 kylemcd admsyn does that so link make sense?
18:55 ofzach (i.e., if 10.9 is causing big issues, we have something where we make a release that has 10.8 SDK manually set)
18:55 dantheman I've seen weird things with 10.9
18:55 dantheman like sometimes you can build with 10.9 as the target other times you have to build as 10.8
18:55 dantheman sometimes it just works
18:55 dantheman its weird
18:56 ofzach yeah have seen this also
18:56 ofzach usually always push it to 10.8 now reflexively
18:56 admsyn kylemcd: yeah, but TBH I haven't looked into the oF issue enough to know exactly what the deal is, I was under the impression that it was "openframeworks needs to be built with the 10.8 SDK" not "on 10.9 we just don't include that file"
18:56 ofzach 10.8 is included
18:56 ofzach on 10.9 machines with newest xcode
18:56 ofzach (Xcode usually provides last two SDKs)
18:57 kylemcd ok, i see -- the temporary solution is to manually set our sdk to 10.8 and then anyone with 10.7 will get an error
18:57 admsyn which is probably better than the other way around, for sure
18:57 ofzach I think also problem is downloading older projects
18:57 kylemcd but a longer term solution will be to add an ifdef to include the right files -- but we're not sure what the corollary is for tr1/memory on 10.9 yet
18:57 admsyn isn't it just <memory> ?
18:57 kylemcd right any old project files will still be broken with that first solution
18:57 kylemcd admsyn yes i think so
18:58 dantheman kylemcd: there is also a weird time error throw on 10.9 if you use some addons
18:58 ofzach fold older projects, we just need some education -- make this really clear in OSX guide / read me, etc
18:58 dantheman I need to document that one
18:58 kylemcd but ofzach, with the ifdef approach old projects should still work?
18:58 dantheman oh oh oh this goes into some of the issue people had at the CMU workshop
18:59 ofzach they don't --
18:59 dantheman like people were confused on how to get to the setup guides
18:59 ofzach afaik older stuff still needs sdks bumped to 10.8
18:59 admsyn ofzach: RE "some education" would it make sense to go a little SEO on this and just make sure that googling "openframeworks tr1" leads to something concise and helpful? Like making openframeworks.cc/tr1 and having that be a really brief page explaining what the deal is
18:59 ofzach nice
18:59 pizthewiz 👍👍
18:59 dantheman someone said that the bring up guides should be in Documentation and Documentation should be labeled Reference
19:00 ofzach I feel like we need an effort on the website to make setup guides / first step / tech notes (tr1 seo) in one place, not just with downloads
19:00 ofzach I think it's kind of easily overlooked now
19:00 dantheman right
19:00 dantheman that's basically what I heard
19:01 ofzach sorry I'm going to have to run now.....
19:01 dantheman I have a bunch of notes from the after-party drinkup
19:01 dantheman later ofzach
19:01 ofzach ciao !! (will email about the book stuff with is on the agenda)
19:01 ofzach happy new years everyone !!
19:01 ofzach left #openframeworks
19:01 pizthewiz a tr1 post on the forum and perhaps a mention added to CONTRIBUTING.md would also be good points of attack
19:03 kylemcd ok
19:03 Nicolas_ joined #openframeworks
19:03 Nicolas_ hello
19:03 kylemcd hi nicolas_
19:03 kylemcd personally i'm still not convinced this isn't something we can't solve with some clever code... ;)
19:04 ofTheo me too :)
19:04 kylemcd but i'm going to defer to ofzach and admsyn here unless someone has a chance to whip up a solution
19:04 admsyn yeah I'm not saying the clever code solution isn't viable :) I just personally don't really know what the issue is
19:04 Nicolas_ I'm on Windows 7 with CodeBlock 12.08, I can compile the examples with GCC (MinGW) but when I run them, they crash
19:05 Nicolas_ I'm not very familiar with C++ but is there any compiler option to set ? my computer is a 64 bits machine
19:05 dantheman Nicolas_: you should be able to use VS2012
19:05 dantheman this poor kid at CMU was in the same boat
19:06 dantheman took us a little while to get him building no his desktop....that is if we got him building
19:06 Nicolas_ dantheman yes but it requires a subscription etc, I will use it if necessary but for now I would like to understand why the code doesn't run
19:06 dantheman on/no
19:07 kylemcd dantheman if you know the solution to Nicolas_ problem, want to dm him? it might get confusing to have two conversations going at once
19:07 dantheman any other windows people around?
19:07 kylemcd next topic: - tutorial sprint / book
19:07 dantheman yeah sorry
19:07 kylemcd i wish zach could have been around for this part, hm
19:08 dantheman yeah :(
19:08 kylemcd anyway, that's a huge thread -- 30 responses regarding the idea, and obviously a lot of interest
19:09 kylemcd i feel at this point the most important thing is for someone to be the "lead" on the project
19:09 dantheman yeah when I read memo's post I got really hungry
19:09 dantheman kylemcd: you're right
19:09 dantheman and then like section leaders
19:10 kylemcd that wouldn't exclude you from writing/contributing text, but for this to be successful we need a single person to orchestrate everything
19:10 dantheman right
19:10 kylemcd or maybe up to three people if we want to have a lead, then graphic/code lead, and text lead
19:10 dantheman an Editor
19:11 dantheman I was thinking we should make it like project based
19:11 dantheman based on the different sections of the book
19:11 dantheman and do things like this https://github.com/danthemellowman/vidvox​Logo-example/blob/master/src/testApp.cpp
19:11 dantheman with assignments
19:13 kylemcd that format is cool
19:13 dantheman I already started a while back writing stuff...kinda got into it
19:13 dantheman yeah
19:13 dantheman https://github.com/openFrameworks-RaspberryPi/​openFrameworks/wiki/Raspberry-Pi-Introduction
19:13 dantheman for the Pi
19:13 kylemcd i think maybe not enough people are here right now to get volunteers for these positions
19:14 kylemcd but once we have them, we can move forward
19:14 dantheman right
19:14 dantheman I think its an awesome idea
19:14 kylemcd and if there aren't enough people on the list, we can make a call on twitter too
19:14 kylemcd any other thoughts on the book for now? i think we need to get a couple people in those positions before anything else happens.
19:15 pizthewiz I'm interested to know how "alive" they are, would every oF release also take a pass at the book to make sure everything is relevant / correct / best practices?
19:16 lmccart one question, who is the intended audience for the book
19:16 lmccart beginners? anyone using of?
19:16 lmccart advanced techniques? all inone book?
19:16 jtnimoy_ i can see the book just observing the same milestones as the actual OF codebase.
19:16 jtnimoy_ $(OFROOT)/docs
19:16 lmccart is it an intention that it is something that could be used for teaching
19:16 dantheman lmccart: I'm thinking all users
19:16 dantheman lmccart: entry to advanced...you can always learn something about OF and how to make it do at thing
19:16 dantheman err a thing*
19:16 admsyn lmccart: my understanding based off of what memo / zach were discussing on the list was that it's sort of beginner + with advanced sidebars
19:17 pizthewiz Would the book pull in existing content like the Shader tutorials and what not?
19:17 admsyn or at least that's what I think would be best :
19:17 jtnimoy_ $(OFROOT)/docs/learning
19:17 kylemcd pizthewiz: ideally, yes
19:17 dantheman and probably the examples
19:18 pizthewiz Sounds great, I was a little concerned with *too* many resources without a clear idea of what to look for where and what the expectations are of it still being accurate.
19:18 dantheman cause the examples are awesome ...but like a few pages on why and how things work would go a long way
19:20 kylemcd pizthewiz: absolutely. we used to have a problem with OF which was "not enough documentation"
19:20 kylemcd but then what happened was we made a lot of documentation in a bunch of different formats
19:21 kylemcd a book could further complicate that, but if we build it up as an addition to the tutorials then we will be focusing our energy instead of diluting it further
19:22 kylemcd also, regarding audience lmccart: i think zach and theo had an idea for who they wanted to target (beginners and intermediate users, but not people completely new to programming)
19:22 kylemcd and arturo was suggesting that it contains "everything" (from beginner to advanced)
19:22 kylemcd with subsections as relevant
19:22 kylemcd ok, more about that on the list then
19:22 kylemcd last topic, it's an easy one
19:22 kylemcd - possibility of hangout instead of / in addition to irc
19:23 jtnimoy_ It would help a whole lot if we could pin down the initial programming proficiency of the audience early in the writing of this book. i'm ok with arturo's approach as long as we remain consistent about that.
19:25 jtnimoy_ the cookbook/buffet versus the dogmatic introduction is always such the topic
19:25 admsyn kylemcd: what's the benefit of the hangout? (I have never used it <_< >_>)
19:25 jtnimoy_ video, apps, google drive.
19:25 jtnimoy_ there's even a whiteboard app.
19:25 kylemcd jtnimoy_ absolutely, i'll mention that in an email
19:25 admsyn whiteboard sounds pretty killer for this sort thing
19:26 pizthewiz Ha, and here I thought you were talking about meatspace
19:26 kylemcd when i say "hangout" what i really mean is "many-user video chat"
19:26 kylemcd and google just happens to have a good product for that right now
19:26 kylemcd but i'm mostly curious how many people are "really here" right now
19:26 dantheman lol
19:26 kylemcd if you're here can you just type "/me"
19:26 * kylemcd is here
19:26 * dantheman is here
19:27 jtnimoy_ the sound-triggered video spotlighting is the killer app of hangout. more: http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts
19:27 * pizthewiz
19:27 jvcleave hello all - is the Hangout around the book or just as another community tool??
19:27 jvcleave sorry for the double ? :)
19:27 jvcleave unintended
19:27 jtnimoy_ i also find that when doing business with people far, far away, google hangouts handles the chat delivery and video bandwidth in more graceful ways than Skype. it's subtle.
19:28 jvcleave adafruit was doing a "show your projects" weekly (and may still be)  - I thought that was a cool use
19:28 dantheman yah they do it
19:28 * ofTheo just came back
19:28 kylemcd ok, so we're like 7 people or something
19:29 dantheman yeah its not just you typing into the ether
19:29 jtnimoy_ and the others are cloud zombies?
19:30 kylemcd lurkers
19:30 dantheman bots
19:30 dantheman they're all just bots
19:30 kylemcd hah hah
19:30 dantheman none of this is real
19:31 kylemcd for the next meeting i'll be in japan so maybe that's not the best time to try it out, but maybe the one after (in two months) we can give it a shot
19:31 admsyn well if no-one has strong feelings either way I'm up for doing a hangout next time
19:31 admsyn us+ of-dev meet
19:31 kylemcd and have a pre-irc meeting on google hangout
19:31 admsyn1 joined #openframeworks
19:31 kylemcd yeah exactly
19:31 dantheman lol
19:31 dantheman I'm down
19:31 admsyn1 lol my IRC just dropped out right there
19:31 dantheman gives me an excuse to use the FaceSubstitution app I hacked to use Syphon and iGlass
19:31 admsyn1 so I lost everything after "kylemcd jtnimoy_ absolutely, i'll mention that in an email" (so I guess that's a vote for hangouts)
19:32 dantheman kylemcd: that is the best thing for online meetings
19:32 jtnimoy_ oh, it's because i have an escape sequence hack in my handle.
19:32 jtnimoy_ jk
19:32 pizthewiz &#770; strikes again
19:32 dantheman lulz
19:33 kylemcd jtnimoy_ http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/2014-1-05
19:33 kylemcd err
19:33 kylemcd http://irclog.perlgeek.de/​openframeworks/2014-01-05
19:33 jvcleave I still need to catch up on the book discussion but I can help/contribute if needed
19:34 * pizthewiz heads out to some late breakfast
19:36 dantheman jvcleave: yeah we should get all the arm stuff better++ for it
19:43 Nicolas__ joined #openframeworks
19:44 kylemcd ok, meeting adjourned :)
19:44 admsyn1 🆗
19:44 dantheman lol
19:45 dantheman http://fullmooncleaningservices.com/wp-​content/uploads/2012/09/afterparty.jpeg
19:45 Nicolas___ joined #openframeworks
19:46 admsyn1 Nicolas___: did you get the codeblocks thing worked out?
19:47 dantheman Nicolas_: you're building with VS now right?
19:47 dantheman admsyn1: I think CB is screwed up on anything but windows 8
19:48 admsyn1 yeah I haven't been taking notes but I'd say like 90% of people that come into the channel with a question, it's about C::B on win / linux
19:49 dantheman yeah
19:50 dantheman CB is very very lacking
19:50 * admsyn1 is oblivious to people who are not doing exactly what I do
19:50 admsyn1 I kid
19:50 dantheman I just use Sublime Text with Clang auto complete
19:50 admsyn1 yeah that's probably a good way to go
19:50 ofTheo yeah I haven't had issues with CB or VS
19:50 ofTheo both seem great
19:50 dantheman with make && make run
19:50 dantheman CB is slow
19:50 ofTheo ( windows 7 )
19:51 dantheman hmmm ofTheo maybe you can help Nicolas_
19:51 admsyn1 A lot of people come in with what I think are basically linker errors
19:51 dantheman oh oh oh
19:51 ofTheo sure - whats the issue: Nicolas_
19:51 dantheman anyone wanna build an Art Drone with a friend of mine in ATL
19:51 dantheman he has cash and might be getting an Art Grant
19:51 admsyn1 is it > -20 C there?
19:52 ofTheo main issue I see is people not installing the required libs for CB
19:52 ofTheo or using the new CB with old OF or new OF with old CB
19:52 dantheman http://evereman.com/ <- wants to do Free Art Drone drops
19:57 GuidovanPossum joined #openframeworks
19:57 GuidovanPossum This is pretty hot, levitation jams:   http://96ochiai.ws/3DOFacoustic
20:01 [thoughtful] joined #openframeworks
20:03 admsyn1 I want to see a brute force version that just suspends stuff over a sub by making it VERY LOUD
20:03 OliverUv joined #openframeworks
20:06 GuidovanPossum_ joined #openframeworks
20:07 jtnimoy_ i want to see the government use this technology as an experimental form of prisoner punishment
20:08 Graff joined #openframeworks
20:09 admsyn1 left #openframeworks
20:12 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
20:24 tapout joined #openframeworks
20:37 Nicolas joined #openframeworks
20:38 roxlu joined #openframeworks
20:38 lianj joined #openframeworks
20:39 harpreet joined #openframeworks
21:04 Tim joined #openframeworks
21:06 Tim_Scaffidi Anyone here able to help me log in to the forum? I haven't logged in in a while, need to reset my password for the new forum and it keps saying "Sorry, your token has expired. Please try resetting your password again."
21:17 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
21:18 oktapodi_ joined #openframeworks
21:18 jacres joined #openframeworks
21:19 dantheman yo
21:19 dantheman anyone around
21:19 dantheman is there like a good way to render HTML in OF?
21:20 dantheman I wanna try something where I automate taking a screen shot of a website
21:21 Tim_Scaffidi why not use a cron job or similar?
21:28 dantheman or this https://github.com/tgfrerer/ofxBerkelium
21:28 dantheman lol
21:28 dantheman wow
21:33 jedahan joined #openframeworks
21:57 admsyn joined #openframeworks
21:57 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
22:00 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
22:05 dantheman joined #openframeworks
22:09 admsyn joined #openframeworks
22:45 lmccart joined #openframeworks

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary