Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2014-02-09

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:20 jj_ joined #openframeworks
00:21 jdd joined #openframeworks
00:52 dantheman joined #openframeworks
01:01 yns joined #openframeworks
01:32 oneironaut joined #openframeworks
02:10 boltR joined #openframeworks
02:13 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
02:20 admsyn joined #openframeworks
02:36 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
02:42 robot joined #openframeworks
03:01 robot joined #openframeworks
03:41 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
03:56 finger563 question for you guys: I've got distcc set up for OF and my RPI and that works
03:57 finger563 but following the guide to set up the actual cross compiler for linux to rpi, i get most everything working, it just doesnt link properly
03:57 finger563 i'm following this guide: http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/raspberrypi/Raspberry-Pi-Cross-compiling-guide.html
03:58 finger563 i had to modify the guide somewhat so that in my RPI_ROOT folder I also have the /opt from RPI since that's where my bcm_host.h (or w/e they were called) were
04:17 dantheman joined #openframeworks
04:30 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
04:34 finger563 anyone have any idea?
05:31 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
05:54 dantheman joined #openframeworks
06:02 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
06:11 boltR joined #openframeworks
06:12 admsyn joined #openframeworks
06:32 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
06:54 admsyn joined #openframeworks
06:58 Joel_re joined #openframeworks
06:59 Joel_re hey, anyone around ? :)
06:59 Joel_re how do I generate the Makefiles for the kinect example
06:59 Joel_re it says I run the projectgenerator
06:59 Joel_re but I don't see any script in tere
06:59 Joel_re there*
07:03 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
07:08 boltR joined #openframeworks
07:09 Joel_re do I need to compile OF the first to generate makefiles for the examples?
07:09 Joel_re first time*
07:26 Joel_re right the projectgenerator is a submodule
07:34 jvcleave Joel_re - what platform?
07:34 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
07:38 dantheman joined #openframeworks
07:46 Joel_re jvcleave: hey, Im on linux
07:47 Joel_re woot, ok I used the project generator to generate the files
07:47 Joel_re then used make
07:47 Joel_re seems like I have the example built now, and it runs :)
07:47 jvcleave ok cool :)
07:47 Joel_re Im off to go test it
08:03 nicedice joined #openframeworks
08:11 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
08:13 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
08:15 ubn2902 joined #openframeworks
08:42 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
09:13 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
09:39 nylki joined #openframeworks
09:44 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
10:15 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
10:46 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
11:01 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
11:19 ubn29021 joined #openframeworks
11:39 boltR joined #openframeworks
11:40 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
11:47 robot joined #openframeworks
11:50 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
11:52 nickhudspeth joined #openframeworks
13:08 ubn29021 hey all, is it possible to add a mesh object (primitive points) to the box2d collision detection?
13:39 nylki joined #openframeworks
13:50 LCID_Fire_ joined #openframeworks
13:55 yns joined #openframeworks
14:06 yns joined #openframeworks
14:08 yns clear
14:21 LCID_Fire joined #openframeworks
14:29 ahmed__ joined #openframeworks
14:58 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
15:21 admsyn joined #openframeworks
15:35 yns joined #openframeworks
15:38 admsyn yns: any luck with that retina thing?
15:38 yns yeah
15:39 admsyn cool :)
15:39 yns got brat help from ofTheo
15:39 yns but thanks for yours too off course :)
15:39 admsyn np glad to hear you got it
15:39 yns turned out the be a bug
15:39 yns http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/high-resolution-capable-osx-causes-really-small-window-inside-opengl-window/14566/4
16:31 yns joined #openframeworks
16:34 keeran admsyn: ended up going with custom scrolling with msainteractiveobjects http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsHYuA6pCX8&feature=youtu.be
16:35 keeran after 3-4 days of banging my head against the wall with various html renderers in linux :)
16:36 yns joined #openframeworks
16:44 dantheman joined #openframeworks
16:46 dantheman IRC meet up today?
16:47 yns what's that?
16:47 dantheman where we all chat about THE FUTURE
16:47 yns oh cool, i've always been curious about the future
16:49 dantheman I just txted kyle to ask him
17:08 dantheman joined #openframeworks
17:09 dantheman meeting?
17:13 77CABDKOA joined #openframeworks
17:23 dantheman lulu kyle's response
17:23 dantheman 'ahhh shit'
17:26 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
17:32 abergmeier ofarturo, is someone working on removing GL_POINT_SPRITE_OES from programmable renderer?
17:36 OmerShapira joined #openframeworks
17:43 yns joined #openframeworks
17:46 dantheman joined #openframeworks
17:52 nervous joined #openframeworks
17:53 bilderbuchi joined #openframeworks
17:55 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
17:58 dantheman yo
17:58 yns yo
17:58 OmerShapira oi
17:59 kylemcd hi
17:59 kylemcd it looks like pirate pad is dead atm
18:00 kylemcd so i'm using this doc instead https://docs.google.com/a/kylemcdonald.net/document/d/19s_cjN8oI9RmpFlF-CUdVLStHA5AxGoIpdcua8AZvPU/edit#
18:00 kylemcd derp
18:00 kylemcd better link:
18:00 kylemcd https://docs.google.com/document/d/19s_cjN8oI9RmpFlF-CUdVLStHA5AxGoIpdcua8AZvPU/edit?usp=sharing
18:00 kylemcd not sure there's a difference, but whatever
18:02 bilderbuchi hey
18:02 kylemcd going to wait till 1:10pm to see if anyone else shows up
18:02 kylemcd hi
18:02 kylemcd but i think i might have botched the announcement on this one
18:03 bilderbuchi so, my agenda item is missing?
18:03 kylemcd sorry i thought i added it
18:03 kylemcd about the PRs?
18:04 bilderbuchi yeah.
18:04 bilderbuchi ok
18:04 dantheman is there an easy way with git to like rebase them
18:04 dantheman to see what is and isn't broken/needed?
18:04 bilderbuchi I was just going to add it myself. didn't realize I could edit ^^
18:04 bilderbuchi dantheman: huh?
18:05 dantheman the PR's with bit rot
18:05 bilderbuchi github does a merge to check if they would succeed. if the merge conflicts, it gets a grey button
18:05 dantheman word
18:06 bilderbuchi i'm not sure a rebase would correct those cases in a correct way (i.e. without undoing the base part of the merge conflcict
18:06 dantheman http://blog.experimentalworks.net/2009/03/merge-vs-rebase-a-deep-dive-into-the-mysteries-of-revision-control/
18:06 bilderbuchi )
18:06 kylemcd it doesn't mean it's impossible to merge them
18:06 dantheman check it out
18:06 LCID_Fire joined #openframeworks
18:06 kylemcd just that they have to be manually merged
18:06 dantheman its like you clip the update then move it all the way to the front
18:06 kylemcd ok let's just get started :)
18:06 kylemcd first on the list!
18:06 bilderbuchi I was just gonna aks if we can put my item first, gotta bring my kid to bed soon
18:06 kylemcd PR bitrot / via bilderbuchi
18:06 bilderbuchi thx
18:07 bilderbuchi yeah in this way rebase would work, but not sure about the conflicting lines (i.e. if you don'T have to pay attention to not undo the changes which happened in the master branch in the meantime)
18:07 obviousjim joined #openframeworks
18:07 obviousjim hello
18:07 bilderbuchi is that understandably written?
18:07 bilderbuchi hi jim
18:08 dantheman yo
18:08 kylemcd hi
18:08 dantheman word bilderbuchi
18:08 bschorr joined #openframeworks
18:08 bilderbuchi so. yeah,  48% of our (61!) open PRs are currently bit-rotten (i.e. would conflict on merge). How do contributors feel about this, and what can/will we do to improve the ratio, and integrate or reject contributions faster?
18:08 kylemcd well, let's look at these PRs
18:08 dantheman I guess the question is what are the updates?
18:09 dantheman how broken are they
18:09 kylemcd how many are from people in a position to merge them (i.e., section leaders)
18:09 bilderbuchi I'm just wondering if this is something that discourages/frustrates contributors much, and if people feel that this generates unnecessary work effort which could have been spent coding
18:09 dantheman right
18:09 bilderbuchi kylemcd: didn't divide them up that finely, but gimme a sec
18:09 dantheman check that 59 prs
18:10 obviousjim I wonder if some should just be closed
18:10 dantheman go with the oldest
18:10 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/pull/1401
18:10 obviousjim a lot of times following the threads they end in a conversation about why its not appropriate now, etc
18:10 laserpilot joined #openframeworks
18:11 zach_ joined #openframeworks
18:12 cristianReynaga joined #openframeworks
18:12 dantheman yeah I think some of these are just old
18:12 kylemcd right, it seems like the best thing to do would just be to close more PRs when that happens
18:12 bilderbuchi really?
18:12 kylemcd and then some of these that can be merged by section leaders need to be merged
18:12 bilderbuchi we'd throw away half of our incoming contributinos
18:13 robot joined #openframeworks
18:13 dantheman well like what would we be throwing away?
18:14 obviousjim i don't think it should be considered throwing it away. If it came with an explanation then it's not going to offend anyone
18:14 obviousjim is there a way to "slate" them for future releases?
18:14 yns joined #openframeworks
18:14 kylemcd obviousjim that would mean maintaining another branch, but it's possible
18:15 kylemcd i don't think we have enough people to make that successful
18:15 bilderbuchi but, if we want to merge them, why not review and merge _now_?
18:15 bilderbuchi also, then they would just rot in an OF branch, just not the contributor's branch
18:16 obviousjim @kylemcd agreed
18:16 obviousjim I feel like going and merging a lot of pull requests could make things a bit unstable if they are outside of what we have in mind for the minor releases
18:16 dantheman well how about we just go through and address each PR
18:17 bilderbuchi I think that PR merging is one of our major manpower bottlenecks. I think if we could improve that, we could get more contributions in, having more motivated contributors, etc.
18:17 bilderbuchi thoughts?
18:17 kylemcd i feel like this is the ongoing problem: there are people prepared to write new code than review other peoples' code
18:17 bilderbuchi list dump :
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2801, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2798, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2797, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2793, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2790, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2786, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2779, mergeable:False
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2773, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2770, mergeable:False
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2735, mergeable:False
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2732, mergeable:False
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2705, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2702, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2690, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2677, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2675, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2666, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2664, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2659, mergeable:True
18:17 bilderbuchi nr 2651, mergeable:True
18:18 kylemcd is this going for 61 PRs...?
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2648, mergeable:True
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2636, mergeable:True
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2634, mergeable:True
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2631, mergeable:True
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2626, mergeable:False
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2622, mergeable:False
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2618, mergeable:True
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2613, mergeable:True
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2571, mergeable:False
18:18 bilderbuchi nr 2547, mergeable:False
18:18 bilderbuchi was kicked by kylemcd: bilderbuchi
18:18 dantheman haha
18:18 dantheman flooding the channel
18:18 dantheman haha
18:18 zach_ ouch
18:18 jvcleave i see how it is
18:19 OmerShapira lol
18:19 kylemcd now if anyone else wants to speak up
18:19 kylemcd ...
18:19 kylemcd ;)
18:19 dantheman someone invite him back
18:19 bilderbuchi joined #openframeworks
18:19 kylemcd i did
18:19 dantheman kk
18:19 kylemcd paste bin please?
18:19 bilderbuchi what just happened?
18:19 dantheman you flooded the channel
18:19 dantheman and got kicked
18:19 kylemcd you stalled your client and started flooding the channel so i kicked you to stop it
18:20 bilderbuchi huh, looked very alrgith from my end. even got your post afterwards
18:20 bilderbuchi anyway, http://pastebin.com/9ut1HZ9E
18:20 kylemcd irc has a rate limit on posting, so it would have taken a while for everyone else to see all your messages
18:20 dantheman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ
18:21 bilderbuchi sorry I got no links in there, would take me a couple of minutes
18:22 kylemcd this is helpful
18:22 bilderbuchi so, anyway, do others also see this problem? what do we do against it? how can we improve PR merging process?
18:23 kylemcd well, again, the question is: how do we increase the ratio of "people who want to review code" to "people who want to write new code"
18:23 kylemcd i don't think discouraging people from writing new code is an option... ;)
18:23 laserpilot FUCK DAT NEW CODE
18:24 kylemcd maybe being a section leader means you're not allowed to write code, just review code... and we rotate the positions more often
18:24 dantheman ok I just made them links
18:24 dantheman http://pastebin.com/bbqfRHin and google docs
18:24 zach_ I think having some simple test framework would help also, so people can show small examples / tests
18:25 dantheman and then look at who is sending these
18:25 bilderbuchi ha, beat me by a couple seconds, dantheman :-)
18:25 dantheman sublimetext ftw
18:25 bilderbuchi thx
18:25 dantheman select all, edit all
18:25 dantheman hah
18:25 dantheman the secrets of a dev
18:25 bilderbuchi :D
18:26 kylemcd zach, a test framework would help both to lower new contributions, and make approving them easier
18:26 bilderbuchi zach_: yeah, that would help. ideally bug report turn into written tests
18:26 zach_ I think it's also a useful place for code that's sort of not examples
18:26 dantheman but a lot of the unmergeable stuff is from the usual suspects
18:26 zach_ like stress test code or code to help w/ porting to new platforms
18:27 bilderbuchi maybe a first step would be a build server, which could check PRs for a) compiling OF lib and b) compiling examples,
18:27 dantheman or they just need to be cleaned up a bit and redone
18:28 bilderbuchi there's a basic implementation for unit tests with OF, btw
18:28 kylemcd so, should we go through all the PRs and say "please post test code and we will merge this"?
18:29 bilderbuchi https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/1068
18:29 dantheman yes
18:29 dantheman kylemcd: +new devApp for testing
18:29 bilderbuchi the question is: is the (missing) test code what holds back these PRs?
18:29 dantheman and example for merge if its a new feature
18:29 bilderbuchi and changelog entry :D
18:30 bilderbuchi or is it that we don't have enough people to review and approve PRs?
18:30 dantheman ok well I think the problem is we look at this at a high level all the time
18:30 dantheman and we never get granular
18:30 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/pull/2735
18:30 dantheman like with that
18:30 dantheman what should the next steps be
18:30 dantheman lets figure it out and post something
18:31 kylemcd so with that one, the discussion says it needs to wait till 0.9
18:32 dantheman but its unmergeable
18:32 kylemcd right but i think it's theoretically a small change
18:33 kylemcd that happens to have some line ending glitches
18:33 dantheman right
18:33 dantheman so lets get a target-0.9.0 branch..fix the glitch and merge it in
18:33 bilderbuchi this would not have prevented the conflict
18:33 NickH joined #openframeworks
18:34 kylemcd btw for anyone joining now, this is the agenda doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/19s_cjN8oI9RmpFlF-CUdVLStHA5AxGoIpdcua8AZvPU/edit?usp=sharing
18:34 bilderbuchi just that target-0.9.0 would have conflicted with master, instead of abergmaier's local branch
18:34 admsyn joined #openframeworks
18:34 dantheman whats the conflict?
18:34 dantheman I think that is the issue
18:34 dantheman we need to know what is broken in each of these
18:34 admsyn hi all
18:35 bilderbuchi nobody knows until you pull down the branch and merge with master locally - github doesn't expose that
18:35 dantheman is there a way to script it?
18:35 bilderbuchi getting the PR branches is easy. script what?
18:35 dantheman doing all 27 of them
18:36 bilderbuchi from the OF wiki on git workflow: Another way to quickly check out pull requests is git fetch upstream pull/7324/head:pr-7324, where upstream is the OF repo remote, pull/7324/head is the remote pull request, and pr-7324 is the local pull-request branch.
18:36 bilderbuchi you have to manually resolve the conflicts, so what's the point?? :confused:
18:37 dantheman yeah
18:37 abergmeier guys, are you busy discussing=?
18:37 bilderbuchi but basically it's
18:37 dantheman PR git rot
18:37 bilderbuchi git checkout master
18:37 bilderbuchi git fetch upstream pull/7324/head:pr-7324
18:37 bilderbuchi git merge pr-7324
18:37 bilderbuchi <fix conflict>
18:38 kylemcd abergmeier we're having a monthly meeting to discuss the direction open frameworks is heading
18:38 Joel_re joined #openframeworks
18:38 abergmeier k, I'll wait till someone stumbles over my pr ;)
18:39 bilderbuchi left #openframeworks
18:39 bilderbuchi joined #openframeworks
18:39 dantheman so should we just like figure out a time to fix all 27?
18:39 dantheman or just tell the owners to fix the conflicts
18:39 bilderbuchi the thing is, if we don't merge them, they'll just rot again, right?
18:40 dantheman well then we should say.  yes, no, this needs work
18:40 bilderbuchi but yeah, a PR-review-and-merge-drive after 0.8.1 would be great imo
18:40 admsyn +1 bilderbuchi
18:40 Mat__ joined #openframeworks
18:40 dantheman yeah
18:41 kylemcd alright
18:41 dantheman I think the first thing is the just go through each of these that are rotten and ask them owners to rebase/fix/update them
18:41 kylemcd let's leave it there
18:41 dantheman good
18:41 kylemcd after 0.8.1 we'll have a drive, and a longer term solution will be requiring tests to be submitted
18:41 bilderbuchi ok
18:41 bilderbuchi kyle: before that, we're gonna need a testign framework ;-)
18:42 dantheman sort of but test apps work
18:42 bilderbuchi if we ask people to update, do we have the implicit agreement of a quick review by the core?
18:42 kylemcd not necessarily
18:43 obviousjim joined #openframeworks
18:43 kylemcd sometimes you see a core member or section leader is excited to merge something
18:43 kylemcd so they ask the person to update it
18:43 kylemcd and then they merge it
18:43 kylemcd but if we are independently asking them to update it, there is no guarantee anyone will take the time to merge it
18:44 bilderbuchi what's the point in updating, then, if they'll just rot again?
18:44 dantheman well some of these sound good
18:44 dantheman but they have like...needs linux/osx support
18:44 dantheman or are like iOS only
18:44 dantheman so hopefully they don't rot if they are updated
18:44 bilderbuchi ok
18:45 bilderbuchi I agree, enough for now, we have some action items. next! (imo)
18:45 kylemcd ok
18:45 kylemcd next
18:45 kylemcd switching to organization
18:45 kylemcd i think it's pretty clear we should do this
18:45 kylemcd this no reason not to
18:45 kylemcd can you take the lead on it bilderbuchi?
18:46 dantheman I haven't been following the deets
18:47 bilderbuchi he, I can't as I don't have the permissions, but +1 from me on it
18:47 bilderbuchi or what do you mean by "lead"?
18:47 dantheman describe it?
18:47 kylemcd lead as in, we'll give you the permissions and you can restructure things :)
18:48 bilderbuchi ML thread: http://dev.openframeworks.cc/pipermail/of-dev-openframeworks.cc/2014-February/008037.html
18:48 bilderbuchi hm, ok (the proposal came not from me, though?)
18:48 bilderbuchi but basically, you just have to flip a switch in the account settings
18:48 bilderbuchi and define some teams.
18:49 kylemcd it didn't come from you, but you're our github master
18:49 bilderbuchi it could be convenient to make teams for the sections where we have section leaders now
18:49 bilderbuchi true dat
18:49 kylemcd heh heh
18:49 dantheman do it up
18:49 kylemcd great. i'll send info.
18:49 bilderbuchi ok, I'll do it soon(ish)
18:49 dantheman make sure you create a peanut gallery team
18:49 yns joined #openframeworks
18:50 bilderbuchi hehe
18:50 kylemcd next item
18:50 kylemcd obviousjim
18:50 kylemcd 64-bit progress
18:50 obviousjim hey
18:50 bilderbuchi question: does it make sense to have teams for the sections, and have contributors be assigned to them (e.g. Sound, ios, etc)
18:51 dantheman bilderbuchi: yes
18:51 bilderbuchi ok
18:51 dantheman obviousjim: yo
18:51 admsyn bilderbuchi: yes I think it'll help get stuff moving faster, e.g. some people ping me on ios stuff because sometimes julapy's busy :)
18:51 bilderbuchi Master George has the floor
18:51 kylemcd bilderbuchi: my intuition is yes also, anything that makes it easy to assign multiple people to sections or swap them out if they don't behave ;)
18:51 bilderbuchi alright
18:51 obviousjim So i'm super excited about the fact that we have builds of 64 bit that are complete for both Windows & OS X
18:52 dantheman I gotz a new winders box I can't wait to try ti
18:52 obviousjim pulling up the github threads just for reference one moment
18:52 obviousjim os x: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/2016#issuecomment-33912753
18:53 obviousjim windows: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/2758
18:53 obviousjim So this may fit into the restructuring thing we were just speaking about
18:53 obviousjim but the video players are the sticky point here as always
18:54 obviousjim the ofAVFoundationPlayer seems to be quite solid, but is missing all the synchronous behavior
18:54 nickhudspeth joined #openframeworks
18:54 obviousjim so arturo and I need to finish the restructuring of the video classes before this can be merged
18:55 bilderbuchi_afk be back later
18:55 NickH Having the async loading is a nice feature, that would be nice to keep in as an option
18:55 obviousjim so what i'd like to discuss is a way to get people into these branches playing around before they are finished. i think in general it's hard to find them
18:55 obviousjim async loading + async seeking
18:56 obviousjim i don't want to muddle this convo too much with video specific stuff, the important point being it's still a little ways off
18:56 obviousjim but for most people's purposes having an easily accessible 64 bit build will help a lot. for example building the Kinect v2 add-on, etc
18:56 kylemcd should we pull those branches into the main of repo and point people to them
18:56 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
18:57 kylemcd what do you think is best
18:57 obviousjim hey Arturo!
18:57 obviousjim I think so
18:57 obviousjim https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/tree/feature-64bit
18:57 obviousjim This is currently just OS X -- we need to merge Liquid's stuff into this so that feature branch supports both OS X & Windows
18:58 kylemcd 👌 cool
18:58 obviousjim and then maybe do a post about it somewhere official
18:58 kylemcd i'd say go for it
18:58 obviousjim to start testing
18:58 kylemcd plus a post on the forum, mailing list, and twitter
18:58 obviousjim yes
18:58 admsyn the openframeworks social media canon
18:58 kylemcd can you do that, or do you need some help?
18:59 obviousjim I really hope Microsoft puts there money where their mouth is soon and builds a WMF video capture for us =)
18:59 obviousjim I can do it but need ppl to test obviously
18:59 kylemcd great
18:59 obviousjim the replacement for old quicktime  in windows is VideoInput and Theo's DirectShow grabber
19:00 obviousjim VideoInput is not really that fast. Second Story has a WMF player that i haven't tested out yet, and we need a better grabber alternative too. anyway, video is always the hang up here.
19:00 obviousjim but for now they are feature complete just have a bit different behavior
19:00 dantheman I think someone got GStreamer on Windows working really well
19:00 kylemcd cool
19:01 obviousjim so we should discuss to what level we break backwards compatibility.
19:01 kylemcd make it happen and we'll get a bunch of people to test
19:01 obviousjim @dantheman yep! but theo and I discussed that GStreamer comes with such heavy libs
19:01 dantheman oh yeah
19:01 obviousjim that it'll make distributing it on Windows quite a pain
19:01 bilderbuchi would be one-lib-fits-all, though?
19:01 dantheman its def a huge lib
19:01 bilderbuchi many platforms, I mean
19:01 dantheman bilderbuchi: I still can't get it working on 10.9
19:01 obviousjim and that we are in general better off going with os libs on this side
19:02 dantheman 10.8 yes
19:02 dantheman obviousjim:
19:02 dantheman I agree
19:02 obviousjim oh that brings up a good point
19:02 bilderbuchi I see
19:02 obviousjim so the 64 bit OS X will be 10.8+ only
19:02 dantheman on linux it is the best
19:02 dantheman hands down
19:02 obviousjim and the 64 bit Windows potentially win 8 only
19:02 dantheman but its an apt-get away
19:03 zach_ ooof 64 bit on win 7 would be great
19:03 obviousjim so we need to be prepared for that
19:03 obviousjim @zach_ i think that's probably likely
19:03 dantheman yeah the only way to get into the store is to be 64bit directX
19:03 dantheman and that would be nice
19:03 bilderbuchi oh, win8-only sucks, no?
19:03 zach_ what store?
19:03 obviousjim MS really is pushing for the store compatibility
19:03 obviousjim Windows Store
19:03 obviousjim its like the app store
19:03 obviousjim i
19:03 dantheman http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/apps#Cat=t1
19:03 OmerShapira #lol
19:03 obviousjim i'm not sure its too appealing for many users yet
19:04 bilderbuchi lol
19:04 dantheman its the FUTURE
19:04 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
19:04 bilderbuchi embrace-extend-extinguish again? ^^
19:04 dantheman I think it also means it would eventually build for the XboxOne
19:04 obviousjim but if that's their desire and they are willing to dev for us to get things there we should play I think
19:05 zach_ their working methods seem challenging !
19:05 obviousjim again, it's still yet to be seen.
19:05 dantheman yeah. I just wish they could talk about it
19:05 obviousjim its super frustrating
19:05 dantheman Art with NDA
19:05 obviousjim they have to work in secret and then have a "ta-da" moment
19:05 zach_ also, apple human interface group just reached out, they are fans of OF
19:05 obviousjim which is backwards from how we do things so it's causing some conflicts there
19:05 obviousjim wow cool
19:05 zach_ if there's something we need at apple, they can ask for it
19:05 dantheman zach_: nice
19:06 dantheman primesense code
19:06 zach_ haha
19:06 obviousjim haha
19:06 bilderbuchi :D
19:06 obviousjim anyway circling back to 64 bit
19:06 obviousjim can we discuss how to do the release? whether it's a different download?
19:06 dantheman linux64 is a different package
19:06 dantheman I think right
19:07 obviousjim yep
19:07 dantheman there we go
19:07 obviousjim well
19:07 obviousjim is that ideal?
19:07 obviousjim there are pros and cons to both methods
19:07 bakercp joined #openframeworks
19:07 kylemcd does that mean we're maintaining 32-bit windows and 32-bit osx for legacy video playback/capture?
19:08 obviousjim here's what I think we do
19:08 dantheman unless we build universal x86/64bit libs
19:08 obviousjim yes the libs on OS X can be FAT
19:08 dantheman we could dump 32 at 0.8.0
19:08 dantheman so universal when possible separate when not
19:08 dantheman or just dump 32?
19:09 obviousjim here's what I suggest: legacy 32 bit release as a separate download, 64 bit release (which also can compile as 32 just cuz why not) thats 10.8+
19:09 obviousjim I think its important to keep 32 bit there
19:09 zach_ sounds good
19:09 dantheman +1
19:09 admsyn +1
19:09 obviousjim in case you want to go back to the old video grabber / player which are still super solid
19:09 dantheman yeah I mean the code is written
19:10 dantheman and my mac minis are all 10.8
19:10 kylemcd sounds good
19:10 obviousjim right. that stuff will keep working for a while yet
19:10 obviousjim ok on windows
19:10 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
19:10 obviousjim we can't do fat libs, so you have to have duplicates
19:10 obviousjim which isn't a big deal. but I suggest a similar structure for how to handle the video players
19:11 dantheman yeah
19:11 obviousjim legacy 32 bit only that has the quicktime, + going forward whatever we choose
19:11 obviousjim hopefully we keep win 7 with .9
19:11 obviousjim i'll make it a priority as I play around with this stuff. it's also something to flag up with Microsoft that is important to us
19:11 dantheman sidebar has anyone tried 8.1?
19:11 obviousjim yeah its fine for me
19:11 dantheman k
19:12 zach_ one thing to consider is if we can change the project structure
19:12 bakercp (greets all, also tried 8.1 w/ success)
19:12 zach_ right now we generally keep project files next to a src folder
19:12 dantheman bakercp: nice
19:12 obviousjim hey christopher! great to see you on here
19:12 zach_ for multi platform dev this gets really messy
19:12 dantheman zach_: yup
19:12 zach_ I think w/ 64 / 32 bit we'll have a lot of project files
19:12 bakercp (yeah, it's me and my newborn :))
19:12 obviousjim wahhh congrats!!!
19:12 zach_ and we already have conflicts w/ code::blocks, etc....
19:12 zach_ OH WOW congrats !!!!
19:13 obviousjim we gotta do more RGBD dance parties with your extended family. I have all that footage still :)
19:13 dantheman nice!
19:13 dantheman yeah how is the kid bakercp
19:13 bakercp @obviousjim, yes, we'd still like to see it :)
19:13 zach_ useful : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01j3M3PrGk
19:14 bilderbuchi bakercp: how do you like not sleeping in the night? (I don't *yawn*) :D
19:14 obviousjim @bakercp ;) we'll send it over!
19:14 bilderbuchi yeah, mine can totally do metal (I already tried) :D
19:14 obviousjim OK
19:14 bakercp Nice :) Yeah -- less sleep is ok ... just difficult to not sleep and juggle :)
19:15 bakercp Anyway, back to business :)
19:15 obviousjim zach
19:15 obviousjim i'm not sure what is problematic about the structure?
19:15 obviousjim it just means a lot of project files all in that folder next to src/ and data/
19:15 zach_ we generate all project files in one place
19:15 zach_ but if we have different project files for 32 bit and 64
19:15 bilderbuchi they will have conflicting names at times
19:15 zach_ yeah collision
19:16 obviousjim you're suggesting we have one level down like Xcode/ vs2012/ etc
19:16 bilderbuchi also, not sure if IDEs would pick up the wrong files?
19:16 zach_ and it also just feels messy
19:16 obviousjim agreed
19:16 bilderbuchi already happening for codeblocks win/linux
19:16 obviousjim right
19:16 obviousjim ok
19:16 zach_ one option is what cinder does, use folders
19:16 dantheman I've been pulling out projects to the OF_ROOT/ level to get them all setup right
19:16 obviousjim well breaking backwards compatibility in 0.9 would let us fix this
19:17 dantheman or a 1.0
19:17 obviousjim bum bum bum
19:17 dantheman time to get legit
19:17 admsyn haha
19:17 zach_ I think it becomes doubly important when you have 32bit and 64 bit versions, etc.
19:17 bilderbuchi (imo better 0.9 to test before the Big One)
19:17 bilderbuchi or 0.10, for that matter
19:18 dantheman yeah
19:18 dantheman and like like iOS
19:18 dantheman or iOS and Android
19:19 obviousjim @zach_ the 64/32 will hopefully be able to share a project file
19:20 obviousjim for both windows & os x
19:20 dantheman linux is just a make file
19:20 dantheman for arm/x86/64
19:20 obviousjim so to be clear, this strategy is different than linux
19:20 obviousjim because linux 64 + 32 are both up to date and moving forward
19:20 dantheman yeah
19:21 obviousjim for us we are suggesting freezing the old 32 and moving forward with a shared 64/32
19:21 obviousjim so just want to make sure that's understood
19:21 bilderbuchi so codeblocks would have a "universal" project file on linux?
19:21 obviousjim i'm not sure about codeblocks
19:21 obviousjim its how we are working in Xcode & VS2012
19:22 dantheman yeah IDK about codeblocks
19:22 dantheman I just use make and SublimeText on linux...or do it on my Mac and just run it on linux
19:23 obviousjim OK well that's about it in regards to that
19:23 dantheman which I have to do a little differently when doing video stuff...so I wonder if we can address that somehow with projects folder setup
19:23 obviousjim immediate to do is get Liquid's 64 bit branch into that OF branch so it works for both platforms
19:24 dantheman nice
19:24 obviousjim and send out an announcement for people who would like to try the experimental
19:24 kylemcd great
19:24 dantheman yeah I needs to test that
19:24 kylemcd once i see an announcement on the mailing list i'll post one to twitter
19:24 obviousjim sure thing thanks Kyle
19:24 dantheman put it on a blog!
19:25 ofTheo joined #openframeworks
19:25 obviousjim also just want to say big props to prisonerjon and Nick Hardeman for doing all the hard work on this
19:25 dantheman yeah you guys rocks
19:25 zach_ +1 bravo
19:25 dantheman seriously
19:25 OmerShapira +1 totals
19:25 ofTheo hey - sorry I am late! :)
19:25 bakercp +2 from here
19:25 dantheman yo ofTheo
19:26 obviousjim hey theo we just finished talking about 64 bit stuff
19:26 ofTheo cool - whats the plan?
19:26 kylemcd james is going to merge windows work into feature-64-bit and announce via social media, we will maintain 32 and 64 bit releases for osx and windows for the near future
19:27 obviousjim we are suggesting that as of .9 the 32 bit releases are legacy
19:27 ofTheo sure!
19:27 obviousjim and that we move forward with shared 32bit/64bit libs with new structure
19:27 ofTheo sounds good
19:27 kylemcd next topic
19:27 obviousjim this holds for both windows and os x. Ok done ;)
19:27 ofTheo thx!
19:27 kylemcd gsoc application is in thanks to lauren, christopher, and caitlin (sorry if i missed anyone!)
19:28 kylemcd we will know on feb 24 whether we're accepted as an organization or not
19:28 obviousjim i gotta jet guys! thanks so much
19:28 kylemcd see ya
19:28 obviousjim <3 x 1000
19:28 obviousjim i'll keep people updated on progress
19:28 bilderbuchi cya
19:29 kylemcd i just wanted to make sure everyone knew gsoc is going down, assuming we get it, and to think about how you might want to join in :)
19:29 bilderbuchi would be awesome if GSoC would work out this year!
19:29 kylemcd second-to-last-topic
19:29 kylemcd ofBook overview
19:29 zach_ do you want a quick update?
19:29 kylemcd i've personally been having trouble following everything that's been happening because i was wrapped up in a residency all of january
19:30 kylemcd and i would love an update (and i'm hoping it's not just me) :)
19:30 ofTheo yes!
19:30 bilderbuchi first drafts are due soon
19:30 bilderbuchi outlines have been hashed out
19:30 dantheman yeah same I was in purgatory called Sundance
19:30 bilderbuchi (pretty complete afaik)
19:30 zach_ the outlines look really good
19:30 admsyn there's a fair amount of discussion going on here too https://github.com/openframeworks/ofbook/issues
19:30 zach_ some people have started writing, first drafts are due soon
19:31 OmerShapira Some of the content is up on the repo
19:31 zach_ I think we have some issues to work through like standardization -- formatting / etc.
19:31 zach_ we have two really good designed on to help soon for graphics and layout
19:32 zach_ there's a few missing chapters, and some missing pieces, but it seems to be progressing
19:32 zach_ Rachel is doing a great job project managing as people have trouble hitting deadlines, etc
19:32 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/ofBook/blob/master/14_arm_linux/outline.txt
19:32 dantheman I should probably fill some of that in
19:33 zach_ yeah there's a couple things like that, but for the most part people are preparing really good chapters
19:33 dantheman yeah these look pretty cool
19:33 zach_ we may also be able to repurpose some content already created, like the shader tutorial
19:34 yns joined #openframeworks
19:34 zach_ we are battling school deadlines, students who seemed free in january are less so in february....
19:34 zach_ but for the most part things are progressing
19:34 bilderbuchi btw, have we solved the license question yet?
19:34 zach_ if you have comments about the outlines or any missing pieces, you can use the github issues
19:35 zach_ I don't know if that's resolved, I thought we said CC attribution non commercial for the text
19:35 zach_ and kit for code
19:35 zach_ mit (or other )
19:35 bilderbuchi ic
19:36 dantheman I can get down with that
19:36 kylemcd cool
19:36 kylemcd this is looking great
19:36 zach_ I'll write an update to the dev list w/ some progress reports next week
19:36 kylemcd awesome
19:36 kylemcd thanks zach, i'm excited to see this happening :)
19:37 kylemcd ok very last topic
19:37 kylemcd not sure who posted this:
19:37 kylemcd ofHTTPRequest updates (I have some questions)
19:37 dantheman I did
19:37 zach_ (gotta run!  ciao everyone....)
19:37 zach_ left #openframeworks
19:37 dantheman so I'm working on updating the ofHTTPRequests so you can like
19:38 dantheman add headers and make it a PUT
19:38 dantheman etc
19:38 OmerShapira yep, me too. Ciao bellos
19:38 dantheman I was wondering how we should handle redirects
19:38 dantheman haha
19:38 dantheman and for people to test the code
19:38 admsyn async event with context?
19:39 dantheman that could work
19:39 bakercp (in ofxHTTP, I define a threadsafe context and it gets passed around w/in the calling thread)
19:39 bakercp (the context defines all of the stuff like user agent, etc)
19:40 dantheman I was just like pushing back the request with the redirect url
19:40 dantheman and returning -1 after 10
19:40 admsyn C++11 lambdas would make it easytown
19:40 bakercp (one of the request params is setMaximumRedirects())
19:40 admsyn soon 😅
19:40 dantheman word yeah
19:40 dantheman yeah soooon
19:41 bakercp +1 for C++11, but probably best to give it a bit more time ...
19:41 admsyn yeah
19:41 dantheman I'm gonna research it some more
19:41 dantheman figure out the best way
19:41 dantheman but so far so good with limited testing.
19:41 bakercp std::future, std::async, etc all present great options for http stuff
19:41 dantheman yeah I was looking how you did things
19:41 ofTheo could ofEvent work for a redirect?
19:42 bakercp yeah ofEvent could work, especially now that we have the ability to mark events as responded-to
19:42 bakercp you just have to make sure the events listeners are added in the correct order.
19:42 ofTheo would it make sense to have separate event/callbacks for different things? i.e.: redirect , error etc
19:42 dantheman ofTheo: yeah it would
19:42 dantheman hmmm
19:43 dantheman I can do that route then you can handle it however you want in your code
19:43 ofTheo yeah - the thing is to make it clear that people should register those events
19:43 admsyn IMO it'd be cool if e.g. redirects and errors had sane defaults (redirect just follows the redirect and tries again, errors log) and then you could specify stuff if you want to do something else
19:44 dantheman right
19:44 ofTheo yeah
19:44 admsyn which is where C++11 lambdas would be sweet, I don't know a straightforward C++98 way to do it
19:44 ofTheo option to override and catch the redirect/error
19:44 dantheman then you don't break ofLoadURLAsync
19:44 admsyn without, like, subclassing
19:44 dantheman which I keep doing and have to fix
19:44 kylemcd it looks like this conversation is heading in a good direction, and is not super pertinent to the future of OF, so i'm going to say meeting adjourned :)
19:44 admsyn haha
19:45 dantheman word
19:45 kylemcd thanks everyone for hopping in even with the last minute reminder
19:45 bakercp later all!
19:45 dantheman AFTER PARTY
19:45 ofTheo :)
19:45 dantheman now the important thing is...what should the default user-agent be
19:46 dantheman openFrameworks-X.X.X OS ?
19:46 dantheman I actually hit a web service that only responds correctly if you set a user-agent
19:48 ofTheo looking at the current ofHttpRequest I wonder if subclassing and overriding functions could be a good way to go?
19:48 admsyn dantheman: what do curl / wget do?
19:48 dantheman I think curl is curl
19:48 ofTheo or at least as an option.
19:48 dantheman ofTheo: yeah I'm thinking that way too
19:48 dantheman ofHttpGet : public ofHttpRequest
19:48 admsyn yeah, it's kind of a rigid way of doing it but it's at least straightforwardish
19:49 dantheman yeah
19:49 dantheman but is like specific things
19:49 dantheman I need to Put this data here
19:49 dantheman I need to Post this response
19:49 dantheman super easy to do in Java
19:49 admsyn yeah putTheThingInThePlaceReq : public ofHttpRequest
19:49 ofTheo I feel at least you should be able to catch the response the moment it comes in, vs working through a deque
19:50 dantheman right
19:50 dantheman which you can
19:50 dantheman but yeah I'll work on this some more
19:51 ofTheo cool :)
19:51 dantheman I like the way ofxHTTP uses the newer Poco libs
19:51 dantheman we need slick easy data calls
19:51 dantheman for all your data vis needs
19:51 nervous joined #openframeworks
19:52 ofTheo :) ofxHttp is pretty epic!
19:52 dantheman its kinda like big pimpin
19:52 admsyn haha
19:52 dantheman I wanna port over my website to run it
19:52 dantheman I've actually use it to render OF frames in a browser
19:52 dantheman well send
19:53 admsyn I wonder how insane it'd be to have a server pumping out frames and like HTML5 "stream" it
19:53 admsyn from OF that s
19:53 ofTheo haha :)
19:53 admsyn *is
19:53 dantheman it works
19:53 dantheman at about 28 fps on my iMac
19:53 admsyn so you just hit whatever.com and it's just doing its thing, filling up the page
19:53 dantheman streaming to my mbp_r
19:53 dantheman 1280x720
19:54 dantheman you can do webcams super easy with it
19:54 ofTheo wow nice.
19:54 dantheman just feed in the frame
19:54 admsyn what codec?
19:54 dantheman https://github.com/bakercp/ofxHTTP/tree/master/example_basic_ip_video_server
19:55 admsyn oh hey
19:55 dantheman I was just rendering into an FBO and handing it a texture reference
19:55 admsyn +favourite
19:55 dantheman yeah SUPER easy
19:56 dantheman I have my multi cam to syphon code around here that replace syphon with ofxHttp video server
19:56 admsyn so you just run this and hit like localhost:8080 and get streaming video?
19:56 ofTheo oh nice. that gives me ideas for the raspberry pi
19:56 dantheman yup
19:56 dantheman ofTheo: EXACTLY
19:56 admsyn WHERE WERE YOU LIKE 2 weeks ago
19:56 admsyn probably there
19:56 admsyn whatever
19:56 dantheman just getting back to NYC
19:56 dantheman actually
19:56 dantheman well 2 weeks back tomorrow
19:56 admsyn oh I meant the example but yeah
19:56 dantheman lol
19:57 dantheman I wanna see if this runs on glass
19:57 admsyn I was streaming some OF livecoding and was just beating my head off my desk trying to get it happening on like twitch
19:57 dantheman awww
19:57 dantheman :(
19:57 dantheman there is this mysterious network-syphon build out there
19:57 dantheman blair has a copy
19:58 dantheman the binary came built with his name or something like that
19:58 admsyn I was using https://github.com/zakk4223/CocoaSplit which takes syphon input
19:58 admsyn but it's not quite there yet
19:58 dantheman yah this isn't great
19:59 dantheman you gotta have a beefy machine push the frames
19:59 dantheman unless you just do video/cam stream
19:59 dantheman then you already have the pixels
19:59 admsyn livestream.com's "producer" app is what I went with, only thing I could get decent framerate with doing desktop streaming
19:59 admsyn but then I found out I've got like 0.8Mbps upload from home so *tableflip*
20:00 dantheman lol
20:00 dantheman yeah
20:00 dantheman I need to go start/finish my LISA Salon talk thingy
20:00 dantheman but I'm procrastinating
20:20 yns joined #openframeworks
20:26 ubn2902 joined #openframeworks
20:29 ubn2902 hey all, I'm trying to get ofBox2d recognize blobs (vectors) as box2d objects - in my search for an answer I stumbled upon this forum post by jvcleave (http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/ofkinect-opencv-contour-detection-and-ofbox2d-interaction-problem/9172/4), but this results in errors such as 'No member named 'setAsEdge' in 'ofxBox2dPolygon'.
20:37 ubn2902 does this mean that I set up ofxBox2dPolygon wrong?
20:42 nickhudspeth joined #openframeworks
20:46 Razorien joined #openframeworks
20:53 bilderbuchi left #openframeworks
21:01 dantheman joined #openframeworks
21:08 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
21:24 finger563 anyone have a working crosscompiler for RPi?
21:26 finger563 i can't seem to get mine set up
21:28 akyra joined #openframeworks
21:38 ubn2902 jvcleave: Hello there - do you happen to remember anything about this post from almost a year ago? :)
22:02 jvcleave ubn2902 - it's been a while since I have messed with box2d
22:03 ubn2902 that's alright, I am just really confused that I receive errors such as those. Could it be that 'setAsEdge' has since been removed as functionality from box2d?
22:04 GuidovanPossum joined #openframeworks
22:04 jvcleave might have just been renamed as well
22:05 ubn2902 p.s. I also get the same error for poly.triangulate(15). I receive a 'no viable conversion from 'ofxbox2dPolygon' to 'const_value_type' for triangles.push_back(poly);
22:11 jvcleave sorry - not sure :/
22:20 dantheman joined #openframeworks
22:36 yns joined #openframeworks
22:57 stephanschulz joined #openframeworks
23:02 ofarturo joined #openframeworks
23:11 admsyn joined #openframeworks
23:29 max3 joined #openframeworks
23:29 max3 trying to compile projectmanager on the raspberry pi
23:30 max3 obj/linuxarmv6l/Release/src/main.o: In function `main': main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x10): undefined reference to `ofAppGlutWindow::ofAppGlutWindow()' main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x8c): undefined reference to `vtable for ofAppGlutWindow'
23:31 admsyn max3: sounds like you're missing ofAppGlutWindow.cpp ?
23:32 max3 where is that?
23:32 max3 *where would that be
23:33 admsyn it'll be in openFrameworks/libs/app , but chances are that there's something else wrong
23:33 max3 nope it's there
23:33 admsyn right
23:33 max3 under libs/openFrameworks/app
23:33 admsyn but it looks like it isn't being compiled as part of your build
23:33 admsyn which is probably indicitive of some other problem
23:34 max3 well does projectmanager compile on the rpi?
23:34 admsyn you mean the project generator?
23:34 max3 yes
23:34 max3 sorry
23:34 admsyn I don't know, possibly not
23:34 max3 other things i have tried do compile
23:34 max3 like emptyexample
23:34 admsyn oh ok
23:34 max3 and 3dprimitives
23:35 admsyn it might just be some setup / path issue
23:35 admsyn you have the .zip or github?
23:35 max3 zip
23:35 keeran hmm any trick to getting to the data dir from a class extending an addon (msaIO)? ofToDataPath gives me ../../../data which is weird
23:36 admsyn keeran: I think you get issues if you call it before setup() happens, depending on the OS
23:36 admsyn are you doing that?
23:36 keeran doing it in the setup of the subclass yea
23:36 admsyn yeah that'll do it
23:36 admsyn there's a workaround
23:36 keeran after event hook?
23:36 max3 admsyn: haha on the github there's a project generator repo
23:36 max3 specifically for the rpi i guess
23:37 admsyn keeran: it's in a github issue, I don't remember what it was
23:37 keeran ill try to find, thanks for ht epointer :)
23:37 admsyn max3: naw that repo's a submodule for the actual openFrameworks repo, because it's not actually part of openFrameworks itself
23:38 max3 why is it under the rpi heading then?
23:38 admsyn max3: are you talking about https://github.com/ofZach/projectGeneratorSimple ?
23:39 max3 https://github.com/openFrameworks-RaspberryPi/projectGeneratorSimple
23:39 admsyn oh I see
23:39 admsyn I think that dates back to when rPI support was getting added, it's probably out of date
23:40 max3 if i want to "copy" a repo but not setup a local repo
23:40 admsyn you should have gotten an executable with the download though, I think
23:40 max3 is it git clone instead of git pull
23:40 admsyn you can do a "shallow" clone, which is what you're describing
23:40 admsyn git pull is for updating a repo
23:40 max3 ah
23:41 admsyn git clone is for creating a new one based off of one that exists on e.g. github
23:41 max3 i'll just git clone
23:41 admsyn I think github will actually give you a .zip of whatever the current state of the repo is
23:41 max3 yea
23:41 admsyn there's a button somewhere (i think)
23:42 max3 there's a link
23:42 max3 but why not setup a local repo, so that i can pull to update
23:42 admsyn because it'll take a while
23:42 admsyn and lots of space
23:42 admsyn but yeah it makes sense if you've got the time / space
23:42 max3 if make local changes
23:42 admsyn because you're getting the entire history of OF along with whatever it currently is
23:43 max3 ah
23:43 max3 true
23:43 max3 okay how do i make a shallow clone then?
23:43 admsyn it's just like git clone -s <repo url>
23:43 admsyn I don't know if it's actually -s
23:43 admsyn should be in the man page or googleable
23:44 max3 sure
23:44 max3 wtf did i just download
23:44 max3 i kill the clone process
23:44 max3 mid download
23:44 max3 and there's nothing in the folder
23:44 max3 i cloned to
23:44 max3 nor in temp
23:44 admsyn yeah it probably just cleaned up after itself
23:44 max3 ah
23:47 max3 what's the last stable version?
23:47 admsyn current master is probably your best bet
23:47 admsyn dantheman & jvcleave know more about this than I do though
23:48 max3 k
23:48 dantheman huh?
23:48 admsyn rPI PG, how do
23:48 dantheman haha
23:48 jvcleave you dont
23:48 dantheman yeah
23:48 dantheman that
23:48 admsyn problem solved
23:48 dantheman you copy the empty example dir
23:48 max3 why not
23:49 dantheman cause its just a few make files
23:49 dantheman there is no IDE its just a bunch of make files
23:49 max3 what is? what do you mean?
23:49 jvcleave yeah - most of the pi stuff is developed over ssh
23:49 max3 PG is just a bunch of make files you're saying?
23:50 jvcleave I think there is a buildexamples script - one sec
23:50 max3 yea sure but i figured a rpi PG build would tell me which modules were functional on the pi
23:50 igorline joined #openframeworks
23:50 jvcleave scripts/linux/buildAllExamples.sh
23:50 jvcleave if you downloaded the release non working addons are removed
23:51 jvcleave (and examples)
23:51 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/tree/master/scripts/linux/template/linuxarmv6l
23:51 dantheman or just copy that template
23:51 max3 jvcleave: which is the release?
23:51 max3 when i go to the git it says rpi is natively supported?
23:51 jvcleave http://openframeworks.cc/download/
23:52 jvcleave under linux armv6
23:52 dantheman we have frozen zips
23:52 max3 yes i have this and admsyn suggested i download the master on git
23:52 max3 so i should stick to the release?
23:52 jvcleave i would
23:52 max3 k
23:52 max3 fine by me
23:52 dantheman yeah
23:53 dantheman there is a pretty nice image jvcleave made
23:53 dantheman https://github.com/openFrameworks-arm/CMU-RPi-Workshop
23:53 dantheman grab the mirror
23:53 dantheman the image is already configured for OF etc and has a bunch of working examples
23:53 jvcleave yeah - it's at the bottom of the readme  - the username:pass as well (pi:pi)
23:53 max3 2 questions while i've got your attention: pardon my ignorance but what's the work flow? develop on my computer in codeblocks then ship over to the rpi and compile (or cross compile)? and does the kinect work on the rpi?
23:54 dantheman kinect no
23:54 dantheman well maybe
23:54 jvcleave the workflow etc is here
23:54 jvcleave http://openframeworks.cc/setup/raspberrypi/
23:54 jvcleave no kinect doesn t work
23:54 dantheman right
23:54 max3 in openframeworks or at all?
23:54 dantheman OF yes
23:54 jvcleave not at all on the pi
23:55 max3 god damn it
23:55 max3 that's like the only reason i'm messing with this thing
23:55 dantheman its not fast enough
23:55 dantheman sorry
23:55 max3 is that the problem or is it that the drivers aren't extant ?
23:55 jvcleave you can tilt the motor :)
23:55 admsyn haha
23:55 dantheman the problem is it is an 850mhz arm
23:55 admsyn that's like 75% of why I use the kinect anyway
23:56 dantheman its why Theo keeps using it
23:56 jvcleave the asus xtion cameras (now extinct) work
23:56 dantheman good luck finding someone to part with those
23:56 jvcleave ha - even on the mac I disable the tile
23:56 jvcleave tilt - it causes lag
23:56 max3 http://jonmacey.blogspot.com/2012/07/raspberry-pi-and-kinect.html
23:56 dantheman there you go
23:57 dantheman give it a crack
23:57 dantheman I haven't tried
23:57 jvcleave see comments 1 and 2 :)
23:57 max3 yes
23:57 max3 i should have scrolled down
23:57 admsyn looks like the blogger comes to the same conclusion RE: tilt?
23:57 admsyn ah
23:57 admsyn well
23:58 dantheman lol
23:58 dantheman I wonder if you get a 1414
23:58 keeran heh looks like the datapath root changes a lot as other setup events are fired
23:58 max3 haha god damn it
23:58 dantheman :(
23:58 dantheman sorry max3
23:58 max3 i just wasted 2 days trying to prepare this thing for a kinect
23:58 jvcleave i have tried many times - you also have to put the pi in turbo (YOLO) mode and the SD corruption is real
23:58 max3 w/e
23:59 dantheman lol
23:59 max3 whatever
23:59 dantheman jvcleave: YOLO mode
23:59 admsyn #pragma YOLO
23:59 dantheman max3: :(
23:59 jvcleave well - openni is pretty much dead as well since apple bought it
23:59 dantheman yah
23:59 dantheman it is
23:59 dantheman and the kinect is beastly
23:59 dantheman the new*
23:59 max3 but i should be able to get other webcams to work right?
23:59 dantheman maybe

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary