Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2014-05-04

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:13 dantheman joined #openframeworks
00:30 vade joined #openframeworks
00:44 dantheman joined #openframeworks
00:46 david_ joined #openframeworks
00:59 dantheman left #openframeworks
01:37 vade joined #openframeworks
02:09 bitri joined #openframeworks
02:36 vade joined #openframeworks
02:52 vade joined #openframeworks
04:09 oneironaut joined #openframeworks
05:09 dantheman joined #openframeworks
05:13 vade joined #openframeworks
06:39 abergmeier joined #openframeworks
07:27 oktapodi joined #openframeworks
08:00 keeran joined #openframeworks
08:22 ilbot3 joined #openframeworks
08:22 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome to http://openframeworks.cc/ | logs at http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/
08:53 nylki joined #openframeworks
08:57 thefinal joined #openframeworks
08:58 The_Fly joined #openframeworks
08:58 thefinal left #openframeworks
09:24 nylki joined #openframeworks
10:01 ncls joined #openframeworks
10:18 oktapodi joined #openframeworks
10:47 groolot joined #openframeworks
11:08 oktapodi joined #openframeworks
12:08 groolot joined #openframeworks
13:48 nylki joined #openframeworks
13:51 groolot left #openframeworks
14:00 admsyn joined #openframeworks
14:04 vade joined #openframeworks
14:18 laserpilot joined #openframeworks
14:31 dantheman joined #openframeworks
15:28 abergmeier joined #openframeworks
16:42 ofzach joined #openframeworks
16:43 bilderbuchi joined #openframeworks
16:52 admsyn joined #openframeworks
16:55 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome to http://openframeworks.cc/ | logs at http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/ | May 4 meetup notes https://openframeworks.hackpad.com/IRC-Meetup-April-May-4#IRC-Meetup-May-4-2014
16:55 admsyn hey ofzach
16:55 ofzach hola !
16:56 admsyn I have a Q for the project generator that might be too specific for the meeting :)
16:56 ofzach yeah what's up
16:56 admsyn is there going to be a way to call it CLI style w/ arguments for making new projects?
16:56 admsyn I wanted to get the OFplugin using it that way, so they share a common code base
16:56 ofzach yes there should be, I haven't thought about that
16:56 ofzach at the moment, in the PG advanced, there is for linux
16:57 facultymatt joined #openframeworks
16:57 facultymatt Afternoon all
16:57 admsyn hi facultymatt
16:57 facultymatt left #openframeworks
16:57 admsyn ofzach: alright, cool, I can maybe take a stab at that once the refactor you're working on is settled?
16:58 ThatCantBe joined #openframeworks
16:58 ofzach sure - at the moment, I've been working on getting the gui that was made in japan working
16:58 facultymatt joined #openframeworks
16:58 admsyn yeah it looks nice :)
16:58 ofzach it's super ghetto, I've made a kind of CSS
16:58 admsyn haha
16:58 ofzach I wish I had a web page !
16:58 admsyn I did a thing for that for OF actually, but it only works on OSX atm
16:58 admsyn webkit layer in front of OF, with the background render turned off
16:58 ofzach yeah I've seen a few of those
16:59 admsyn webkit in the front, OF in the back
16:59 admsyn a mullet
16:59 ofzach I used awesomium on a project recently
16:59 ofzach it was very helpful
16:59 ofzach to do a lot of javascript and css stuff in javascript and css
16:59 admsyn yeah and the text rendering and layout
17:00 ofzach at any rate, my gui is kind of ghetto but it's coming together...
17:00 ofTheo joined #openframeworks
17:01 ofTheo hey all!
17:01 ofzach hey hey!
17:01 admsyn hi ofTheo
17:01 ofTheo hey!
17:01 facultymatt Hi!
17:02 facultymatt cool @ofZach I've never seem http://wiki.awesomium.com/ before but looks super useful
17:02 ofzach it's cool, has some wonkiness but it's helpful
17:06 ofTheo here is the agenda for today: https://openframeworks.hackpad.com/IRC-Meetup-April-May-4#IRC-Meetup-May-4-2014
17:06 dantheman yo
17:08 dantheman everyone should checkout this stuff Satoru Higa has been doing with the ISF format from vidvox https://github.com/satoruhiga/ofxISF and https://github.com/danthemellowman/ofxISF for my hacks
17:08 ofTheo 5 more min and then we'll get started
17:08 dantheman waiting for kyle?
17:08 admsyn that's the VDMX shader + metadata thing?
17:08 dantheman admsyn: yeah
17:08 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
17:09 kylemcd hi :)
17:09 dantheman admsyn: json blob for all of your uniforms and varying vars
17:09 ofTheo hey!
17:09 ofTheo left #openframeworks
17:09 kylemcd glad to see theo and zach are already here! let’s get started :)
17:09 ofTheo joined #openframeworks
17:10 ofzach (also, I'm getting ready for the SFPC presentation tonight so running around a bit)
17:10 dantheman admsyn: they're planning a web-gl -> ISF page that is almost done
17:10 dantheman oh that's tonight
17:10 dantheman crap
17:10 kylemcd first off, is the order alright for everyone? anything need to talk about first?
17:10 ofTheo looks good to me
17:10 facultymatt good
17:10 kylemcd alright let’s do this.
17:11 kylemcd 1. Our goal for 0.8.2 was two months. We're halfway there, how are we doing?
17:11 ofTheo seems pretty good.
17:11 admsyn there's that PG hotfix that hasn't merged yet right?
17:11 ofTheo were there any other issues bar the Xcode workspace?
17:11 kylemcd for the refernce, here are the issues for 0.8.2 https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues?milestone=15&state=open
17:12 ofzach I sort of feel like the Xcode thing should have it's own release
17:12 ofzach (we should get in the habit of doing a release to fix a showstopping bug on a specific platform)
17:12 ofTheo it could be simply just updating the zip
17:12 ofTheo as its not so much of a codebase change
17:12 dantheman ofTheo: yup
17:12 ofzach I put those project generators up - they should be tested
17:13 dantheman that's why its called a #hotfix
17:13 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
17:14 admsyn there's a fix for the iOS enum case etc stuff, ofTheo do you know if it's alright? https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/pull/2872
17:14 admsyn I don't really know enough about the rationale for it but it looks good?
17:14 ofTheo sure
17:14 ofTheo but I think we should move away from this approach
17:15 ofTheo Its so specific its almost useless
17:15 admsyn yeah for sure
17:15 ofTheo I think getting the string directly is more useful.
17:15 ofTheo or being able to query if the device is newer than a model / older than a model etc
17:15 admsyn I mean, also if you just google "ios version detection" you get solid super upvoted stackoverflow answers
17:16 ofTheo right
17:16 admsyn is this just for OF user convenience?
17:16 ofTheo I still think its weird
17:17 ofTheo I think a struct with useful info would be better
17:17 ofTheo ie: generation
17:17 ofTheo has celluar
17:17 ofTheo etc
17:17 kylemcd sounds like there is some discussion on that which is more specific
17:18 kylemcd and can either happen on github or after the meeting
17:18 ofTheo yup :)
17:18 admsyn :)
17:18 kylemcd but more generally: we had 50 issues at the last meeting
17:18 kylemcd 44 at this meeting
17:18 ofTheo yeah another push is in order
17:18 kylemcd which puts us more on like a 7 month timeline, not 1 month
17:19 ofTheo How has 0.8.1 been for everyone here?
17:19 kylemcd assuming people want to do more than last month, something in between is more accurate — so what should we change the date to?
17:19 ofTheo For me its been fairly stable
17:19 admsyn been great for me fwiw, OSX and windows
17:19 dantheman pretty good of rme
17:19 dantheman me*
17:19 dantheman nothing extremely weird
17:20 ofzach the rpi stuff is really smooth
17:20 dantheman yeah?
17:20 ofzach very good instructions
17:20 ofTheo I am not sure how others feel but for the next release it might be nice to try and bring some of the libraries up to date
17:20 dantheman I haven't run anything in a while
17:20 ofzach students have been having fun
17:20 admsyn +++++++1 libraries
17:20 dantheman nice
17:20 ofTheo this will need a bit more time - but we could do 64bit as well
17:21 dantheman yeah I tried bringing OSC up to the latest oscPack
17:21 dantheman DON'T DO IT
17:21 dantheman everything is broken
17:21 ofTheo would 6 weeks be too ambitious?
17:21 ofTheo :)
17:21 kylemcd right now libraries aren’t scheduled for this next release
17:21 admsyn I got latest opencv happening on OSX / 32bit just last week and it wasn't the worst..
17:21 ofTheo yeah
17:21 dantheman ofTheo: we'll probably have to for the 64bit stuff
17:21 ofzach I can't wait for 64 bit
17:22 ofTheo my feeling is that it is still a fair amount of work doing even a minor release.
17:22 dantheman but I'm ++1 on updating to the newest Poco
17:22 ofzach I am down for updating libs as much as possible but this can be a headache also
17:22 kylemcd from the last meeting we decided we’d be doing critical and regressions first, then handle the other bugs (no api or feature changes), and then release
17:22 ofTheo so I think doing the libs at the same time would be a good reason for a 0.8.2
17:22 ofTheo than 0.9 can be much more about real features
17:23 kylemcd i think we need to keep on track for the work we decided on rather than adding things like lib recompilation
17:23 dantheman I'm with kyle
17:23 ofTheo with a few 0.8.x releases to deal with any remaining library issues
17:23 dantheman put the libs off for 0.9
17:23 ofTheo personally - I am worried about doing libs at the same time as a lot of new features.
17:23 kylemcd i would love to have new libs, esp opencv, but i think sticking to our plans is more important
17:23 dantheman and go from 0.8.2 -> 0.9
17:23 dantheman with a bunch of RC's between
17:23 kylemcd we can always add a 0.8.3 before 0.9
17:24 ofzach I'm a bit fan of small releases
17:24 kylemcd libs don’t have to be at the same time as new features
17:24 ofTheo sure - my main thing is not to do libs at 0.9.0
17:24 ofTheo cool
17:24 kylemcd yeah agreed, i’ll make a note of that
17:24 kylemcd but still: what’s our estimate looking like? 1 month or 7 months?
17:25 ofTheo I can put in some serious  time 5-6 weeks from now
17:25 dantheman depends
17:25 ofzach I think doing a small release, even if it just has a few things (new PG) would be good
17:26 ofTheo @ofzach I think it could be fine just to do the hotfix now
17:26 ofTheo but for 0.8.2 I would be happy to aim for mid June
17:26 ofzach we should -- I put those zips up a few weeks back
17:26 ofzach just want folks to test
17:26 ofTheo does it need heavy testing?
17:26 dantheman 0.8.2+book?
17:26 dantheman @ eyeo?
17:28 lmccart_ joined #openframeworks
17:28 lmccart joined #openframeworks
17:28 ofTheo I am happy to help with that - just haven't experience the PG issue
17:29 ofTheo so should we aim for mid june for 0.8.2?
17:29 ofTheo or push later?
17:29 kylemcd i think we can only aim for june if we significantly cut the issues, and have a big bug squash
17:30 ofzach I don't think we should push it, just push the issues from 0.8.3 that might slow it down
17:30 dantheman well the 5 of those issues have fixes right?
17:30 ofTheo yeah
17:30 ofTheo agreed
17:30 dantheman wait 15 of them
17:30 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues?labels=fix-proposed&milestone=15&page=1&state=open
17:30 kylemcd great, so let’s aim for a smaller release, and now we need to divide up what is currently 0.8.2 into 0.8.2 and 0.8.3
17:31 kylemcd how many issues are we aiming for, 20?
17:31 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues?labels=critical&milestone=15&page=1&state=open
17:31 dantheman those kylemcd
17:31 kylemcd that’s a great suggestion
17:31 dantheman hit the crit bugs
17:32 dantheman and the ones that have fix's proposed which is about 20
17:32 kylemcd so here’s a plan: 0.8.2 by june 10 (eyeo) with all critical bugs fixed, have a bug squash before that
17:32 kylemcd all the other ones get moved to 0.8.3 and scheduled for 3 months from now
17:32 ofzach sounds good
17:32 admsyn ????
17:32 kylemcd i think that’s realistic
17:32 kylemcd great
17:33 kylemcd bilderbuchi could you help us divide and conquer
17:33 kikko_fr joined #openframeworks
17:33 dantheman kylemcd: crits and regressions
17:34 ofzach can I ask a question about restructuring for 0.8.2 ?
17:34 kylemcd go for it
17:34 kylemcd let’s move on to #2 Status of new project generator. and you can take over zach
17:34 ofzach actually this is more OF folder related
17:34 ofzach I really want us to have a tests folder
17:35 ofzach I think there's some confusion about if these tests are automated
17:35 ofTheo yes!
17:35 ofzach I kind of don't know enough about automation
17:35 ofzach but I think  tests/performance  test/system make sense
17:35 ofzach sub folders per topic
17:35 ofzach people will submit small projects per issue or PR
17:36 ofzach it's a place, like devApps, but more organized
17:36 bilderbuchi sry afk. currently catching up
17:36 ofzach I realize there's a secondary conversation re: automation
17:36 ofzach but I think this is something I'd really like to see happen now
17:36 sebllll_ joined #openframeworks
17:36 kikko_fr_ joined #openframeworks
17:36 admsyn ofzach: that'd be great, esp to work it into the PR flow. "please add a minimal failing test to tests/"
17:37 ofzach I submitted a PR, I am happy to revise it later today
17:37 ofTheo I think it will definitely need some good organization and guidelines for it not to become the mess that devApps was :)
17:37 ofTheo but I think the testing could be great
17:37 bilderbuchi requiring tests demonstrating bugs would be great, and would be a great way to slowly grow our test collection
17:37 ofTheo automation could come later
17:38 ofzach yep - so maybe on the PR (or the new PR) we should talk about this...
17:38 ofzach ok
17:38 dantheman ofzach: like this?
17:38 dantheman https://github.com/danthemellowman/httpsTestApp/blob/master/src/testApp.cpp
17:38 ofTheo haha and now testApp is relevant again
17:38 dantheman http and https testing
17:38 ofzach yep
17:38 ofzach haha
17:39 bilderbuchi we should try to keep the tests as minimal as possible, to enable lots of them to run quickly
17:39 dantheman well there is one if my oAuth keys are still good
17:39 ofzach ok I think we are all agreed on this -- we can next
17:39 dantheman bilderbuchi: I was thinking of adapting a scene manager type harness
17:39 kylemcd ok next 2. Status of new project generator.
17:40 ofzach so I wanted to get this done before SFPC
17:40 kylemcd zach, do you need any help with the PG or do you want to keep working on it by yourself?
17:40 ofzach but I wasn't able to --
17:40 ofzach would love some help, I'm basically working through kikko's design
17:40 ofzach it's kind of html-y, so I've made  a gui
17:41 ofzach it's not the worlds finest code, but it was a first pass at least
17:41 ofzach https://github.com/ofZach/pgGui
17:41 ofzach I'll throw up issues later today and keep hacking at it
17:41 bilderbuchi I'm looking forward to a reunited PG! there's a recent issue by yet another user confused by the two PGs
17:41 ofzach it's not really smooth, but it's starting to approximate what kikko drew
17:42 ofzach yes !  having this will be helpful
17:42 dantheman bilderbuchi: yeah I can't wait to have just one
17:42 ofzach I can def use help, so people who love gui / pixel stuff please feel free to jump in
17:43 * admsyn can help
17:43 dantheman do you have svgs?
17:43 admsyn but not with pixels :)
17:43 ofzach haha
17:43 dantheman or layouts?
17:43 kylemcd for anyone who doesn’t want to compile it http://cl.ly/image/1028281h2s0U
17:43 ofzach yeah the layouts are up on kikkos site
17:43 kylemcd http://cl.ly/image/1A242e352k1Z
17:43 drdanmaku joined #openframeworks
17:43 ofzach yeah don't criticize yet :)
17:44 ofzach anyway, there's basic stuff in and it could use some extra eyes for sure -- I will push on it this week
17:44 ofTheo only suggestion would be to put addons last as that list can get big :)
17:44 ofzach there's a scrollbar -- it's way wonky !!
17:45 dantheman ofzach: if you can add the refs to your repo
17:45 kylemcd it’s also only a list of the addons in use
17:45 bilderbuchi do we expose all the stuff which was in the "advanced"PG with an "expert mode" button or somesuch?
17:45 kylemcd not a list of all available addons — if you want to add one, you drag+drop
17:45 kylemcd bilderbuchi: no, this should theroetically be able to have everything in the advanced PG with the same UI
17:45 kylemcd we designed it with those features in mind
17:45 ofzach actually, we have drag and drop (w single and recursive project generation)
17:45 kylemcd the idea is to make it powerful not complicated
17:46 ofzach it's pretty slick it's going to work for both
17:46 ofzach there's some issues with ofApp vs testApp
17:46 bilderbuchi ah, nice.
17:46 bilderbuchi > make it powerful not complicated
17:46 bilderbuchi that's hard to pull off but I'd love it!
17:46 ofzach also issues with platform list on releases (w/ out other platforms)
17:46 bilderbuchi feature request: CLI interface (so that I can run it from a terminal, for CI server etc)
17:47 bilderbuchi :-)
17:47 ofzach yes @admsyn was asking about this
17:47 admsyn :D
17:47 ofzach should be NP -
17:47 kylemcd the backend pg should be separate from the gui, so we should be able to make a cli tool from it
17:47 kylemcd yeah
17:47 bilderbuchi +1, thanks!
17:47 dantheman oh I see what you mean
17:47 ofzach @kylemcd at the moment, most of this is really separated well
17:47 dantheman ofzach: some of these are easy fixes
17:47 kylemcd cool so if someone can help zach with the frontend/gui that’d be great — hop in on that repo
17:47 ofzach it's not a seperate lib, but it's very clean
17:48 bilderbuchi fyi, divide & conquer on 0.8.[23] done!
17:48 kylemcd bilderbuchi: thanks!
17:48 kylemcd everyone: thanks for the notes on the hackpad
17:48 ofTheo awesome - thanks!!
17:48 kylemcd next! 5. GSoC update
17:48 kylemcd oh ahh hah
17:48 kylemcd wrong pad
17:48 kylemcd next! 4. ofxaddons
17:48 kylemcd arghhh i’m failing
17:48 kylemcd next! 3. ofBook is still on schedule for Eyeo release.
17:49 kylemcd for reals
17:49 facultymatt lol
17:49 ofzach I also really want to make the project structure different -- to avoid multi platform wonkiness
17:49 ofzach i.e., folders per platform in the project
17:49 dantheman ofzach: this is soooooo awesome just playing with the app
17:50 ncls joined #openframeworks
17:50 admsyn re ofBook, is the plan for graphics to have someone oversee that to keep it consistent?
17:50 admsyn I know it was brought up but a *lot* has been brought up and I can't find it all :)
17:51 ofzach I've said this a bunch, will show you all in a sec what I mean
17:51 ofzach left #openframeworks
17:52 ofzach joined #openframeworks
17:52 ofzach (sorry wonky internet just now)
17:52 ofzach (anyway, no ones folder should look like this: https://github.com/ofzach/projectGeneratorSimple)
17:53 kylemcd admsyn it sounds like no one knows about the book
17:53 kylemcd so we’ll move on
17:53 ofzach hey hey
17:53 bilderbuchi hear hear
17:53 kylemcd hah hah
17:54 kylemcd 4. ofxaddons
17:54 dantheman haha
17:54 ofzach do you want me to talk about the book?
17:54 dantheman yes!!!!
17:54 kylemcd oh sorry! still on ofBook then
17:54 kylemcd that would be great
17:54 ofzach book = good.
17:55 ofzach css is looking nice
17:55 ofzach http://andyclymer.com/ofbook/Chapter2/
17:55 kylemcd maybe you missed adam’s question
17:55 kylemcd > : re ofBook, is the plan for graphics to have someone oversee that to keep it consistent?
17:55 kylemcd > I know it was brought up but a *lot* has been brought up and I can't find it all
17:55 ofzach yep - ishaac and andy are on that
17:55 kikko_fr joined #openframeworks
17:55 ofzach I think they will help w/ that
17:55 admsyn ok cool, just didn't want to drop the ball because I misread it
17:55 admsyn I left image references etc
17:55 bilderbuchi how do they generate the pdf currently, or what is the plan for that, respectively
17:55 dantheman oh this is nice
17:55 bilderbuchi ?
17:55 admsyn otherwise I'm done, maybe barring wording tweaks
17:56 ofzach @bilderduchi - no idea at the moment
17:56 bilderbuchi one thing I noticed is that they lost the figure captions that some people added
17:56 bilderbuchi ic, thx
17:56 ofzach I want to find out how they are doing this --
17:56 dantheman oh are they gonna put people renames or online names?
17:56 facultymatt there are some great HTML/css -> pdf converters
17:56 facultymatt based in NODEJS
17:56 dantheman re: by jtnimoy
17:56 ofzach pandoc has been super weird
17:57 bilderbuchi ok? as in...?
17:57 ofzach so alternatives are sought at the moment
17:57 ofzach not working well in osx land
17:57 ofzach very esoteric latex errors
17:57 ofzach have to install packages, etc
17:57 bilderbuchi i fixed those errors, though ;-)
17:57 bilderbuchi at least the ones I was told about
17:57 facultymatt @bilderbucki I'd need to look em up and get back to you
17:57 ofzach I'm not sure --
17:58 ofzach I'll check again, but anyway, I don't feel so great about pandoc, would be useful to look for simpler options
17:58 ofzach for example, this site is generated from a very simple code
17:58 ofzach http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/
17:58 bilderbuchi sure, if you find something simpler which can format a book nicely, go for it. whatever works
17:59 ofzach iep...  want to hear from ishaac about this
17:59 ofzach anyway, things are going well.  if you talk to golan, please bug him for us :)
18:00 bilderbuchi that looks pretty fragile, though - hardcoded chapter names, 500 lines of python instead of one command line call..
18:00 ofzach pandoc feeling sort of fragile too
18:00 ofzach we had so many weird errors
18:00 bilderbuchi but yeah, whatever works, I currently don't have the time to work on the pandoc side anyway
18:00 ofzach anyway..  I'm sure we'll find something
18:01 kylemcd cool
18:01 kylemcd just wanted to keep everyone up to speed
18:01 kylemcd thanks zach :)
18:01 ofzach iep
18:01 facultymatt https://github.com/brenden/node-webshot is a good tool. not sure it can do multiple pages
18:01 bilderbuchi > pandoc feeling sort of fragile too
18:01 bilderbuchi we had so many weird errors
18:01 bilderbuchi I got to admit though, I put a couple of days into a nice generating script and hunting errors, but if nobody tells me about more errors, and then it's "ew it's fragile", then I'm a bit WTF ;-) :-/
18:02 ofzach bilderbuchi, I never saw it work on osx
18:02 ofzach sorry !
18:02 bilderbuchi yeah np. as I said, don't have the time currently anyway
18:03 kylemcd ok
18:03 kylemcd next and last: 4. ofxaddons
18:03 facultymatt !!!
18:03 kylemcd first off i want to say THANK YOU A TON
18:04 kylemcd (round of applause)
18:04 facultymatt :)
18:04 kylemcd from 130 -> 40 is huge
18:04 bilderbuchi *clap*
18:04 admsyn *clap*
18:04 facultymatt and only 18 are actually not categorized, the rest are blocked or some other status.
18:04 kylemcd and really, that’s only 14 left. crazy.
18:04 kylemcd ah nice
18:04 dantheman oh snap
18:04 dantheman OSCSync finally made it to the page
18:05 kikko_fr joined #openframeworks
18:05 facultymatt i just a a bunch before the meeting too, so they will appear on the next page generation
18:05 kylemcd someone pinged me recently asking about this one https://github.com/orgicus/ofxCvPiCam
18:05 facultymatt which happens once a day I believe.
18:05 ofTheo :)
18:05 kylemcd have you seen it / categorized it or is it not being indexed?
18:06 facultymatt Nope,
18:06 facultymatt which leads into the next agenda item...
18:06 facultymatt Traced failure to find new addons to 1,000 result search limit from github
18:06 facultymatt so new addons are not being discovered :(
18:07 kylemcd very interesting
18:07 facultymatt @cyril has a design example for searching by year, so the 1000 limit is then per year
18:07 ofzach joined #openframeworks
18:07 kylemcd which is totally fine for now
18:07 facultymatt However, thats still not sustainable
18:08 ofzach (sorry again... lots of router restarting happening)
18:08 kylemcd right
18:08 facultymatt yes, for now
18:08 bilderbuchi might be worth talking to github aupport about that? best practice etc?
18:08 kylemcd ofzach: no worries
18:08 facultymatt but 3 new addons per day will reach 1000 in a year
18:08 kylemcd yeah this might be a situation where we should get in touch with github
18:09 facultymatt would be worth a shot. We could also just do a smart search that kept going down to smaller time chunks if it reached more than 1000 results
18:09 facultymatt it might search by 2 month blocks, for example.
18:10 kylemcd depending on how hard it is to integrate that modification to the indexing technique, i think it’s worth it until we can get more info from github
18:10 kylemcd but i’ll put out an email to the of-dev list and then on twitter to find someone we can talk to
18:10 bilderbuchi sounds reasonable. it's a computer doing the work anyway :D. watch the requests rate limit, though!
18:10 facultymatt So either getting twitter to up the limit for us OR searching by year will be a good short term fix
18:11 facultymatt so that new addons are recognized .
18:11 bilderbuchi support@github.com usually works, no need to go to twitter, right?
18:11 lmccart there is also a timeout for how long a query can take
18:12 lmccart so itd be better to just make multiple queries that return less results
18:12 lmccart rather than trying to get an upped limit
18:12 facultymatt agreed
18:12 lmccart i think this was the other problem we were seeing
18:12 facultymatt Ok, ill look into it
18:12 kylemcd that’s another reason i think we should try and talk to someone at github about this use case and find a better solution rather than hacking something together
18:12 admsyn could we break it out by alphabet? search for ofxa then ofxb etc
18:13 lmccart we used to have a thing that would run through each existing repo and if it didn't find it, it would remove it, assuming the repo had been deleted
18:13 lmccart but sometimes the search would timeout and it would register as missing
18:13 kylemcd i like ofxa/ofxb :)
18:13 facultymatt ofxx
18:13 facultymatt :)
18:13 facultymatt Theres many ways to skin the cat
18:13 facultymatt However, in my opinion we should consider moving towards a package registry model as we approach 1.0
18:13 facultymatt and away from the search model
18:14 facultymatt because searching github will always encounter scalability and sustainability challenges
18:14 facultymatt as OF grows larger and larger
18:14 kylemcd that’s a good point for the long term, it distributes categorization responsibility
18:14 kylemcd i think this stage of using search is essential for now because we had to bootstrap ofxaddons somehow
18:14 admsyn also you could host an addon not on github then :)
18:15 admsyn options++
18:15 ofzach there's a fair amount of old stuff on google code, i imagine there's addons on bitbucket
18:15 bilderbuchi we'd need a proper addon metadata format before that, though
18:15 facultymatt Yes, i would suggest a model like Bower
18:15 facultymatt http://bower.io/ or http://cocoapods.org/
18:16 facultymatt which dont host the code
18:16 facultymatt the code can live whereever
18:16 facultymatt bit bucket, github, even local or private repos
18:16 facultymatt they are just "registered" so we don't have to go search for them all the time.
18:16 kylemcd matt, do you think you could add this to the roadmap with a description of what you have in mind?
18:16 kylemcd it would be great to see it written down, and it will help us plan around it
18:17 facultymatt Sure, and obviously there's a lot to discuss around it.
18:17 facultymatt pros / cons etc.
18:17 kylemcd https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GjgjQZCHTcOD3cT9OFSl0AZ1nhfYwwvxTl5L4OJE6qA/edit?usp=sharing
18:17 kylemcd definitely
18:17 facultymatt but wanted to bring it up now to get people thinking. :)
18:17 lmccart cdnjs does a thing where they'll pay you $5 for each to set up existing libraries with the proper autoupdate script :) https://github.com/cdnjs/cdnjs#enabling-npm-auto-update
18:17 kylemcd that’s clever
18:17 lmccart os microwork!
18:18 kylemcd i’m going to start paying people to write my code for me
18:18 facultymatt haha
18:18 facultymatt but they are only taking bitcoin
18:18 kylemcd yeah and that’s only useful if i want a coffee in san francisco
18:18 kylemcd regarding b. Some appear to be dups of core?
18:19 kylemcd we used to have repos for the core addons
18:19 facultymatt ok, i just noticed those 2
18:19 kylemcd they don’t exist anymore, and i would say anything that is a fork or copy of those is irrelevant to ofxadons
18:19 facultymatt ok, ill mark them as such
18:19 kylemcd very last item
18:19 kylemcd i. Would it be possible to move to a weekend instead? May 10-11th (although 11th is Mother's day) or 17-18th?
18:20 facultymatt yes. sorry guys I feel real bad about this one
18:20 facultymatt since I suggested the 13th
18:20 kylemcd i think you want kikko lauren and james around right
18:21 facultymatt yea, i will follow up on the email thread
18:21 kylemcd great, that’s better via email. since james and kikko are missing atm.
18:21 kylemcd any leftovers?
18:21 facultymatt sounds like a plan.
18:22 dantheman kylemcd: haha...outsource it!
18:22 admsyn looks good
18:23 facultymatt nice! Ok everyone, thanks and talk to you later
18:23 ofTheo hey thanks all!
18:23 kylemcd great, thanks everyone
18:23 ofzach thanks!  ciao !!!
18:23 ofzach left #openframeworks
18:23 kylemcd have a wonderful day
18:23 ofTheo adam want to do a private chat to discuss that PR?
18:23 admsyn ofTheo: sure
18:26 bilderbuchi left #openframeworks
18:27 dantheman my friend is gonna something to the github devs-ops lead
18:27 dantheman what should I say?
18:28 admsyn moer results pls
18:28 dantheman kk
18:29 dantheman I told him we're getting rate limited on search
18:29 dantheman holy crap there are way more addons here now
18:30 dantheman soooo many scrolls
18:30 dantheman scrolls is now the default unit of measuring size of web-pages
18:31 dantheman 24 scrolls at medium-fast scrolling velocity
18:31 admsyn haha
18:32 admsyn we got like 3 megascrolls of addons
18:32 admsyn kiloscrolls
18:32 dantheman 2.4 megascrolls
18:32 dantheman haha
18:34 dantheman agh so an update no the rate limiting
18:34 dantheman they rate limit cause they are using rackspace
18:34 dantheman but they are migrating to their own system
18:34 dantheman now
18:50 austinslominski joined #openframeworks
18:50 vade joined #openframeworks
18:56 robot joined #openframeworks
19:03 austinslominski Anyone here with some ofxZxing experience?
19:12 ThatCantBe joined #openframeworks
19:33 laserpilot joined #openframeworks
19:53 admsyn joined #openframeworks
20:14 admsyn joined #openframeworks
21:09 jedahan joined #openframeworks
21:31 jedahan_ joined #openframeworks
21:40 jedahan joined #openframeworks
21:45 austinslominski joined #openframeworks
21:47 jedahan joined #openframeworks
21:50 austinslominski Hey, just thought I would let anyone know, I got ahold of Kyle McDonald and he me solve my ofxZxing problem, and I think it comes down to XCode 5 having problems with includes with prefixes, so if you are having problems like "'zxing/luminanceSource.h' file not found", go to where the error occurs and change it to #include "luminanceSource.h".
21:59 laserpilot1 joined #openframeworks
22:37 dantheman joined #openframeworks
22:43 jedahan joined #openframeworks
22:50 jedahan joined #openframeworks

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary