Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2014-07-06

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
04:09 thetimetraveller joined #openframeworks
04:36 jedahan joined #openframeworks
05:13 jedahan joined #openframeworks
05:28 booltox joined #openframeworks
05:57 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
06:58 radaj_ joined #openframeworks
09:35 ncls joined #openframeworks
09:35 nylki joined #openframeworks
10:02 underdoeg joined #openframeworks
10:03 underdoeg left #openframeworks
11:42 mhashmi joined #openframeworks
12:44 underdoeg joined #openframeworks
12:55 underdoeg joined #openframeworks
13:50 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
14:08 dantheman joined #openframeworks
14:32 jvcleave_ joined #openframeworks
14:33 dantheman morning all
14:33 dantheman hey jvcleave
14:37 ncls1 joined #openframeworks
15:02 dantheman lol
15:03 dantheman I love it when I see this stuff https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect2/blob/master/examples/protonect/src/opengl.cpp#L60
15:03 dantheman lol broke OSX support for a bit
15:13 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
15:55 jvcleave hello dantheman
16:00 jvcleave the usb card I bought for the mac requires a sata->molex power cable so waiting on that to try the Kinect2 on the mac
16:14 dantheman word
16:14 dantheman yeah some of those are weird
16:15 dantheman we tried to throw the 780GTX in blair's tower
16:15 dantheman no dice
16:15 dantheman you had to like pull power from the optical drive and something else to get it enough juice
16:15 dantheman lol silly apple
16:20 jvcleave yeah - you can supposedly use a drive back but it wasn't working
16:20 jvcleave drive bay
16:26 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
16:29 dantheman lol
16:53 workergnome joined #openframeworks
16:55 workergnome left #openframeworks
16:55 workergnome_ joined #openframeworks
16:57 wswi joined #openframeworks
16:57 nongio joined #openframeworks
16:58 nongio hi all
17:01 ofTheo joined #openframeworks
17:01 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
17:01 kylemcd wayo
17:02 ofTheo hey all!
17:02 nongio hi
17:02 jvcleave what up!
17:02 ofTheo its too nice a day to be on irc - haha
17:03 kylemcd seriously
17:03 kylemcd just came back from brunch with omer and surya
17:03 kylemcd alas
17:03 kylemcd so let’s make it quick then :)
17:03 ofTheo damn - brunch sounds good :)
17:03 ofTheo yes
17:03 wswi hi kyle
17:03 wswi hello ppl.. im still quite new here… not sure I can help much but I’d love to follow the conversation :D
17:03 kylemcd hi wswi! happy to have you!
17:03 admsyn joined #openframeworks
17:04 admsyn heyy
17:04 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
17:04 kylemcd wswi: feel free to jump in with ideas or ask questions at any point
17:04 kylemcd hey adam!
17:04 ofTheo hey adam liz!
17:04 ofTheo *piz
17:04 kylemcd let’s start:
17:04 jvcleave nope - it's liz now
17:04 pizthewiz Hey hey
17:04 kylemcd 1. 0.8.2 and 0.8.3: What we learned, what we can do better next time.
17:05 ofTheo more testing before release :)
17:05 jvcleave The RCs work well as a "code freeze" state. At this point we should assign people to test examples will prevent people thinking "others are probably doing this".
17:05 ofTheo the drag drop bug we should have spotted
17:05 ofTheo agreed
17:05 kylemcd was spotted, should have been reported — also, good example of a hard thing to unit test
17:06 jvcleave we can collect people as the release is coming up
17:06 pizthewiz Is there an example that people would have been running that would have called it out as an issue?
17:06 kylemcd pizthewiz yes there is a dragAndDropExample i think
17:06 smallfly joined #openframeworks
17:06 pizthewiz Ok so an exhaustive example run could have spotted it
17:06 kylemcd yes
17:07 kylemcd but overall i think the process was good
17:07 ofTheo I agree
17:07 kylemcd theo, how much extra time was it to package & release 0.8.3?
17:07 ofTheo also the quick turnaround for 0.8.3
17:07 ofTheo hmm
17:07 ofTheo maybe 2-3 hours
17:07 kylemcd what part takes the longest?
17:07 kylemcd and is any of that waiting to be automated?
17:07 ofTheo hmm - its mainly change log and OF constants
17:08 ofTheo I think ofConstants could be automated
17:08 ofTheo as its just changing the version number at the top of the header
17:08 ofTheo the change log is getting less hard as people are including it in their PRs
17:09 ofTheo I think the package generation could be tied to the ofSite so that when updating the site the script gets run automatically
17:09 dantheman yo
17:09 ofTheo right now arturo or I have to ssh in and run the package script
17:09 kylemcd i think i know an easy way to make that happen with a hook
17:10 dantheman yeah there is a way to watch github and if a branch changes it can do a thing
17:10 ofTheo Ideally updating the version would be one PR to ofSite repo
17:10 dantheman I have been testing different automated git checking stuff
17:11 jvcleave I have to update the link in the RPi guide everytime - would be nice if we had a URL that always pointed to the latest
17:11 kylemcd oh that’s a good idea
17:11 kylemcd wow, we totally need that
17:11 dantheman http://buildbot.net/
17:11 ofTheo we could get really fancy and do auto posts to the OF forum on release and on RC generation
17:11 dantheman this was the one I liked out of the few I tried
17:11 kylemcd nice
17:11 dantheman The Continuous Integration Framework
17:11 dantheman haha
17:12 kylemcd i guess the reason it doesn’t exist is because we usually want to point people to the downloads page, not a specific download
17:12 jvcleave yeah - not sure if it used outside of the RPi guide
17:13 kylemcd jvcleave one thing about the ‘code freeze’ and assigning people to examples...
17:13 kylemcd the faster we have releases, the more annoying it will be to always check the examples
17:13 kylemcd is there some clever way of getting around that?
17:14 ofTheo yes
17:14 dantheman yeah
17:14 jvcleave I think the assignment is the biggest part
17:14 ofTheo thats one of the reasons I think they didn't get checked
17:14 ofTheo 0.8.1 was checked heavily
17:14 ofTheo but really its a good  argument for unit testing
17:14 ofTheo there are so many examples
17:14 ofTheo it takes forever to check them
17:14 jvcleave for instance - theo, adam are assigned the mac - they can then delegate
17:14 dantheman yeah there are a few regressions I'm trying to work through
17:15 dantheman and document
17:15 dantheman but I think other people already found them
17:15 pizthewiz Yeah, thats what I was getting at with my exhaustive example question - maybe team leads could fan out the testing
17:15 dantheman its hard to hit every platform
17:15 jvcleave and they can give an ETA, etc
17:15 kylemcd ok pizthewiz jvcleave i see what you’re getting at
17:15 ofTheo yeah distributing  it with people assigned could work well
17:16 ofTheo it helped a lot when we had to do the changelog
17:16 dantheman yeah
17:16 admsyn works for me!
17:16 dantheman that could work
17:16 jvcleave so then if I have availability - I ask adam/theo and they can give a range for me to work with
17:16 dantheman like some super example
17:16 pizthewiz Umbrella issues per-team could be used, kinda like what ofTheo did tracking the whole release? That or maybe a GitHub wiki page to organize/check status?
17:16 kylemcd i think we’ve used google doc spreadsheets before
17:16 kylemcd that’s worked well
17:16 admsyn there's a google spreadsheet kicking around that has all the xamples per platform
17:16 workergnome joined #openframeworks
17:16 * admsyn looks
17:16 dantheman yeah I remember using it for 0.8.1
17:17 kylemcd ok, let’s make a point of this for the next release (which seems like it will be 0.9.0)
17:17 dantheman has anyone reported the weird cursor likes hides itself now?
17:17 pizthewiz As long as it weren't so big it turned potential contributors away :0)
17:17 dantheman on like resize?
17:17 jvcleave right - but like with that one I wasn't sure I was duplicating work
17:17 admsyn dantheman: yeah, that's been filed though
17:17 dantheman ok
17:18 dantheman cool
17:18 kylemcd any other 0.8.2 / 0.8.3 thoughts?
17:18 admsyn examples spreadsheet -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApuSe9XO9IEmdGhLcGlYYVBBQ2JQWlAyY1BPRVBuS0E&usp=sharing
17:18 kylemcd thanks admsyn
17:18 GuidovanPossum joined #openframeworks
17:18 admsyn really shows how exausting an exaustive test would be :)
17:18 dantheman yeah its hard to think about
17:19 dantheman which is why we have this https://openframeworks.hackpad.com/Unit-Testing-u2Zd5YIvmBR
17:19 jvcleave it's exhaustive for one person
17:19 pizthewiz The table bakercp made for Apothecary was cognitively easier to handle, but didn't really have much nuance either: https://github.com/danomatika/apothecary/blob/master/scripts/apothecary/PROGRESS.md
17:19 admsyn I ended up psyching myself out last time, thinking osx would get covered and just doing windows :3
17:19 dantheman this seems to work with all the maths https://github.com/satoruhiga/ofxGoogleTest
17:20 bakercp joined #openframeworks
17:20 * pizthewiz summoned bakercp by mere mention
17:20 bakercp sorry i’m late.
17:20 bakercp family duties.
17:21 admsyn hey bakercp!
17:21 ofTheo no problem :)
17:21 kylemcd hey! happy to have you
17:21 kylemcd there might be a way to have checkboxes in a markdown doc on github
17:21 ofTheo good timing actually
17:21 kylemcd could be a little easier
17:21 bakercp (getting caught up from log)
17:21 * GuidovanPossum comes unsummoned to sit back and watch
17:21 kylemcd lol
17:22 dantheman kylemcd: a form?
17:22 kylemcd https://github.com/blog/1375%0A-task-lists-in-gfm-issues-pulls-comments
17:22 kylemcd it’s kind of a weird markdown feature for github
17:22 kylemcd but not sure if you can do it in a table
17:23 jvcleave the forum could work too
17:23 dantheman yeah
17:23 kylemcd yeah
17:23 nongio cool feature
17:23 kylemcd forum also works. let’s assume google doc for now, and come back to this when 0.9.0 testing is happening
17:23 kylemcd next!
17:23 kylemcd 2. Goals for 0.9.0 / API cleanup / changes.
17:23 ofTheo okay - I put this one in
17:24 kylemcd thanks
17:24 ofTheo I thought it might be good to put together a single issue on GH where we could discuss goals for 0.9.0
17:24 admsyn looks like ofPtr's going away for real :)
17:24 ofTheo Its a good time to move towards a more consistent API
17:25 ofTheo so that by 1.0.0 we can be in a good place
17:25 ofTheo I see 0.8.3 -> 0.9.0 where we can get a bit messy and figure out some stuff
17:25 ofTheo and 0.9.0 to 1.0.0 as polish
17:26 ofTheo / cleanup etc
17:26 kylemcd i was assuming there would be a 0.10.0 and 0.11.0
17:26 ofTheo oh right
17:26 ofTheo haha
17:26 kylemcd :)
17:26 kylemcd my opinion is that we should make 0.9.0 the next release, we should focus on merging what we have
17:26 ofTheo I think 1.0.0 would be good to have after 0.9.0
17:26 dantheman what?
17:26 kylemcd i.e., 64-bit, c++11
17:26 dantheman gottttta hit that 1.0
17:26 ofTheo yeah agreed
17:27 ofTheo but I think its also a good time to look at the API
17:27 ofTheo and the towards 1.0 doc again
17:27 kylemcd 0.9.0->1.0.0 is great, but i’m not sure we can make it in a single non-api-breaking step without HUGE release delays
17:27 ofTheo a good example of this is ofTrueTypeFont
17:27 ofTheo -> ofFont
17:27 bakercp (ofFont is nearly complete … lots of work on it lately … we must have Poco 1.5+ in the core though before it moves forward).
17:28 GuidovanPossum I was just looking back at the log at would be happy to at least try and build and run every example on linux and make a list of results
17:28 jvcleave mv ofArduino addons/ofxArduino
17:28 bakercp (it’s a different architectre than ofTrueTypeFont though.
17:28 ofTheo sure - so I think the early priorities is getting libs updated and in GH
17:28 kylemcd thanks GuidovanPossom! that’d be really helpful for the next release
17:28 ofTheo with 64bit C++ 11 etc
17:28 ofTheo which is good I think bakercp :)
17:28 kylemcd bakercp do you think it makes more sense to do a release with new libraries before ofFont, or at the same time?
17:29 bakercp - just to go back to apothecary for a second —
17:29 GuidovanPossum I have an older gpu, so I know that some of the examples that are on newer opengl might not work,, sure just let me know when it's a good time thanks!
17:29 pizthewiz For the library updates, is the idea to remove binaries from the repo and build dependencies via Apothecary?
17:29 bakercp I’d propose that we go one more release with built libs included in the release
17:29 bakercp Then for 1.0.0 we remove libs and make sure everything builds form apothecary.
17:30 ofTheo sure - as long as the libs come in the download zips :)
17:30 pizthewiz Ok, but the libs themselves would be built via Apothecary for 0.9.0 then
17:30 bakercp Apothecary and the scripts still need some polish.  It’s no simple task …
17:30 bakercp Yes, we really need some effort on the apothecary front, particularly in the windows realm.
17:30 kylemcd [for anyone just joing, here is the agenda https://openframeworks.hackpad.com/IRC-Meetup-July-6 ]
17:31 ofTheo sure - bakecp
17:31 ofTheo I think we should make apothecary the main focus
17:31 ofTheo at least initially
17:31 ofTheo I am going to start a GH issue though for other feature / api stuff
17:31 ofTheo even if it doesn't all get into 0.9.0
17:31 kylemcd ofTheo one sec
17:31 pizthewiz OS X for 0.9.0 is in an interesting place in that all the libs will need to be rebuilt, so I'd at least propose that all of that should be done via Apothecary rather than by hand. It would be unfortunate to do that work and not invest in the future.
17:31 ofTheo I think its good to agree on some stuff as we are moving forward
17:32 ofTheo rather than just merging PRs :)
17:32 kylemcd is it possible for us to instead talk about this as 0.9.0 = what we have already, 0.10.0 (or 0.9.1) = what we want to get in before 1.0.0
17:32 ofTheo agree piz!
17:32 ofTheo @kylemcd - we could go that way too
17:33 kylemcd i think it makes more sense to divide it like that, keep things moving
17:33 ofTheo either way I think it would be good to be discussing vision a bit more
17:33 kylemcd instead of setting high goals for 0.9.0 only to push them back
17:33 kylemcd definitely
17:33 bakercp — so one thing I’d like to propose is that we go ahead and merge apothecary into the openFrameworks project.
17:33 bakercp Right now it sits awkwardly outside in its own and is getting less attention.
17:33 ofTheo yes
17:33 admsyn +1
17:33 ofTheo +1
17:33 bakercp Also, it is designed to be in the core.
17:34 bakercp It has fancy install methods, etc which need it to be in there.
17:34 ofTheo also +1 for getting all libs for 0.9.0 building from apothecary
17:34 bakercp Otherwise, development is slow b/c of a lot of hand copying.
17:34 kylemcd ok, if we get a +1 from arturo too i would say go for it
17:34 ofTheo :)
17:34 ofTheo arturo will be down - he loves scripts
17:34 dantheman yeah he does
17:34 bakercp I can put together a PR integrating it if we can get that +1.
17:34 dantheman can they just go in the scripts folder?
17:35 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/tree/master/scripts
17:35 bakercp Yeah, it is designed to live in the scripts folder.
17:35 dantheman I haven't used it
17:35 kylemcd bakercp put the PR together and just ask arturo to +1 the PR
17:35 bakercp OK.  Will do it.
17:35 dantheman yeah
17:35 dantheman one less repo
17:35 * pizthewiz imagines kids in SF with that on a t-shirt
17:36 dantheman MAKE IT
17:36 dantheman its just a screen shot of the github delete button
17:36 kylemcd ofTheo in terms of 1.0 and the doc from japan, i was trying to take the lead on this but fell behind. do you want to collab? or were you thinking of something completely new?
17:37 ofTheo Maybe we could chat sometime soon about it?
17:38 ofTheo I think picking what is manageable from it could be a good way to go
17:38 kylemcd ok let’s do that
17:38 kylemcd i’m free right after this, but let’s talk
17:38 ofTheo great!
17:38 ofTheo :)
17:39 kylemcd also, for everyone else we’re talking about this document https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GjgjQZCHTcOD3cT9OFSl0AZ1nhfYwwvxTl5L4OJE6qA/edit?usp=sharing
17:40 kylemcd coming back to this one for a sec:
17:40 kylemcd 2. a. Apothecary to build 0.9.0 dependencies.
17:41 kylemcd what is the actual work that needs to be done there
17:41 kylemcd and how can people help
17:41 ofTheo a lot of tweaking formulas
17:41 ofTheo submitting PRs etc
17:41 admsyn just the busywork of getting each formula for each OS
17:41 pizthewiz And a few formulas need to be written still
17:41 admsyn here's an issue for osx https://github.com/openframeworks/apothecary/issues/39
17:42 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
17:43 kylemcd ok
17:44 kylemcd and it looks like bakercp is most active on apothecary right now?
17:44 admsyn yeah
17:45 kylemcd hmm
17:46 kylemcd there’s too much to do to get everything built with apothecary for 0.9.0 i think
17:46 dantheman prolly
17:46 kylemcd a lot of these libs are very cross-platform
17:46 kylemcd but still
17:46 ofTheo well I don't think we need to rush 0.9.0
17:46 ofTheo personally
17:46 dantheman yeah
17:46 ofTheo I would rather take some time and get the apothecary stuff working well.
17:46 bakercp I tend to agree with @kylemcd and ofTheo on this.
17:46 kylemcd yeah likewise
17:47 bakercp It’s too much to do if we want a quick release.
17:47 dantheman its a nasty merge
17:47 bakercp But it needs to be done.
17:47 kylemcd i’m not interested in rushing anything, i’m interested in keeping releases coming in small chunks
17:47 dantheman what do you think this is agile development
17:47 kylemcd hah hah
17:47 arturo joined #openframeworks
17:47 ofTheo I think switching the libs over is going to take time regardless
17:47 kylemcd the trick is finding out what is independent from other things
17:47 dantheman kylemcd: very very true
17:48 ofTheo I would rather do it at the same time as improving the automation
17:48 bakercp +1 on lots of releases.  ofSketch has had 11 since the beginning of the summer :)
17:48 ofTheo so we're not always stuck with super out of data libs
17:48 kylemcd if we can do it at the same time, that’s great — just saying we need to carefully decouple things when possible
17:48 ofTheo I don't think we should be releasing quickly if there isn't much to show for it
17:48 pizthewiz 64-bit support for OS X requires new binaries be created either way (libc++), I'd definitely like to see that effort go into Apothecary formulas
17:48 kylemcd the more dependencies we have in a release, the longer it will take, because the less possible it is for it to work on it in parallel
17:49 kylemcd pizthewiz exactly
17:49 dantheman I like the way processing does it... here is the release and here is a less buggy but experimental build
17:49 ofTheo right OF has nightlies still
17:49 kylemcd yeah but i’m not sure anyone uses them?
17:49 dantheman right but are the one the same downloads page?
17:49 kylemcd also, hi arturo!
17:50 dantheman oh there they are...below the scroll
17:50 arturo hey! sorry couldn't make it before
17:50 ofTheo no problem.
17:50 bakercp @arturo, see the log — can we get your +1 on an apothecary repo integration?  I’ll do a PR that preserves commits, etc.
17:51 arturo i'll take a look but yes whatever makes compiling new libraries easy and getting rid of binaries in the repo
17:51 ofTheo :)
17:51 kylemcd great, make it happen bakercp
17:51 pizthewiz Yay 👍
17:51 bakercp ok.  i’ll hopefully get that done this weekend.
17:52 kylemcd in terms of filling out the apothecary formulas, does someone want to take the lead on organizing that?
17:53 kylemcd not necessarily filling them out yourself (though that’s fine), just organizing it so it happens
17:53 bakercp @adamsyn is doing a good job :)
17:53 kylemcd yeah that’s what it looks like
17:53 admsyn yeah but only on OSX, which I'll take charge of :)
17:53 ofTheo cool - I can help if you need
17:53 pizthewiz I'm happy to help with the OS X formulas too
17:53 kylemcd ok, admsyn let’s have you organize — and don’t worry about the formulas for other OSes, but find people to help with those OSes
17:53 dantheman doesn't linux use a ton of the system libs from apt-get?
17:54 arturo yes linux is almost everything apt-get
17:54 arturo probably we don't need apothecary there
17:54 dantheman right
17:54 ofTheo :p
17:54 admsyn kylemcd: sure
17:54 arturo there's still some libraries that are not in apt-get yet though
17:54 kylemcd great!
17:54 ofTheo windows will be the fun one
17:54 arturo poco mainly
17:54 dantheman yeah
17:54 bakercp And some are woefully out of date.
17:54 dantheman poco
17:55 admsyn the only tricky thing w/ OSX is the meta problem of how to lipo two libs together in each script, but it's not a show stopper or anything (just a little tricksy)
17:55 admsyn I think pizthewiz already figured it out anyway :)
17:55 bakercp Are we convinced that we want fat libs?
17:55 ofTheo yes
17:55 admsyn I am yeah
17:55 bakercp OK.
17:55 bakercp Just checking.
17:55 bakercp :)
17:55 ofTheo :)
17:55 dantheman for what? 10.7-10.9?
17:56 kylemcd also, adamsyn: think of this like what rachel’s doing on ofBook :) you’re like a producer, and once we have the formulas in place you’re off the hook ;)
17:56 admsyn ha :p
17:56 dantheman lol
17:56 admsyn idk I'd be shooting for like 10.8-10.10, if we're talking slightly future 0.9.0 here
17:56 pizthewiz Yeah I think the two-pass build+lipo is the way to go since we can't have the build tools do it for us (libstdc++ on 32 and libc++ on 64)
17:56 ofTheo haha - nice one kylemcd!
17:56 dantheman haha
17:56 bakercp I think 10.8+ is ideal for apothecary.
17:56 admsyn yeah
17:56 dantheman if only we had a budget for a real one to hound us
17:56 bakercp It removes a whole huge sent of problems …
17:56 ofTheo right
17:57 ofTheo I think 10.8+ is good going forward
17:57 dantheman yeah
17:57 ofTheo especially for video
17:57 dantheman looks like I gotta upgrade that mac mini finally
17:58 ofTheo should we jump to the next topic as its sort of got there anyway ( 3 )
17:58 kylemcd yes
17:58 kylemcd 3. Merging big changes (Arturo): c++11, 64-bit, emscripten, etc.
17:58 dantheman yes
17:58 kylemcd arturo, are there any questions / did you want any help?
17:59 arturo might be useful that people who have PR's milestoned for 0.9 or 0.8.4 that don't merge anymore fix them so they are mergable
18:00 bakercp (yeah, i’ve got a bunch to fix)
18:00 arturo i was going to ask everyone in the PR's but there's a lot :)
18:00 admsyn noted
18:00 arturo i'll send a mail to the dev list too in case any one missed it
18:01 kylemcd ok cool
18:01 arturo also bakercp, do you think we can have utf8 ttf for 0.9?
18:01 bakercp yes
18:01 bakercp as long as Poco 1.5+ is in there :)
18:02 arturo i've been using freetype-gl and it's super easy to make it work with utf8
18:02 arturo didn't need any other conversion functions or anything
18:02 bakercp the new ofFont is based on freetype-gl.
18:02 bakercp Same techniques, texture packing, etc.
18:02 bakercp (online texture packing that is).
18:02 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
18:02 arturo why do you need poco 1.5?
18:02 bakercp Also uses harfbuzz for shaping,etc.
18:05 kylemcd hi?
18:05 bakercp Poco 1.5 has support for UTF* conversions and iteration
18:05 bakercp https://gist.github.com/bakercp/5d14c2380f73154e33d3
18:05 kylemcd :)
18:05 kylemcd ok, so arturo what is the timeline on merging things?
18:05 arturo i didn't need any conversions, but anyway we can talk about this by mail or somehting
18:05 bakercp Means we don’t need ICU.
18:06 kylemcd oh hah hah
18:06 arturo as soon as people fix them to be mergeable
18:06 bakercp Mail is goo.
18:06 bakercp d
18:06 kylemcd it looks like you did some already
18:06 kylemcd https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/commit/cb06b1352d9da3482dba970cb4208862d7c04090
18:06 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
18:06 arturo i fixed mine and some that were mergeable or easily fixable
18:06 kylemcd lol i like “new platform”
18:07 arturo :)
18:07 kylemcd ok great
18:07 bakercp (btw, poco 1.5 is more for unicode support, and i’d like ofFont to be full unicode8/16/32 compat from the first merge)
18:08 arturo also some things will need some work on integration and testing but i think we can do a release relatively soon since most of the work is already there in PR's
18:08 kylemcd great
18:08 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
18:09 kylemcd ok last item
18:09 kylemcd next!
18:10 kylemcd 4. ofSketch
18:10 admsyn been playing with it during the meeting :) fun fun
18:10 bakercp Yeah, not much to say here yet other than it would be great for people to take a look, check out the existing issues give feedback etc.
18:10 bakercp OSX + Linux are working.
18:11 bakercp We need some help getting the makefile system working w/ windows.
18:11 kylemcd bakercp is this running with gcc?
18:11 bakercp Ideally we would use clang / llvm on all three major platforms.  clang gives us some really powerful features (code completion, documentation extraction, static file analysis, etc).
18:11 kylemcd i.e., you need to install xcode first on osx?
18:11 bakercp On OSX it is running w/ clang.
18:11 bakercp Yes
18:12 kylemcd oh or that
18:12 bakercp on linux, it’s using the standard compiler stuff (gcc, etc)
18:13 bakercp Anyway, if we could get our makefile system running on windows via mingw or something … (maybe it does already)? we’d be in really good shape.
18:13 kylemcd no undo-redo :(
18:14 bakercp it’s an ace editor problem.
18:14 bakercp https://github.com/olab-io/ofSketch/issues/23
18:14 bakercp :)
18:14 kylemcd yeah
18:14 kylemcd alas
18:14 bakercp It’ll be fixed don’t worry ;)
18:14 bakercp Brannon, our GSOCer is back in action Monday.
18:14 admsyn it'd be cool if it came with a couple templates to take advantage of the fact you're most likely doing a super quick sketch
18:14 prisonerjohn joined #openframeworks
18:15 admsyn like fullscreen quad frag shader template etc
18:15 * admsyn goes to issues page :)
18:15 ofTheo @bakercp is it running now on 10.7/10.8 ?
18:15 bakercp 10.8, 10.9 I believe — i haven’t tried it on 10.7 ...
18:15 kylemcd can you integrate w github gists
18:15 kylemcd :3
18:15 admsyn +1 that yes that
18:15 bakercp Would love to do something with gists like d3
18:16 dantheman haha
18:16 bakercp Leave an feature request issue :)
18:16 dantheman I hear that is hard
18:18 kylemcd added
18:18 bakercp So, not much more to say on that, other than keep your eyes open for a windows makefile expert :)  I’d prefer not to become one myself … makefiles exhaust (and predate) me.
18:18 ofTheo gists would be awesome
18:19 jvcleave most win makfile related stuff I see is Cmake based
18:19 bakercp And feel free to leave all sorts of crazy requests etc over there.
18:20 bakercp I think cmake often generates good old fashioned make files depending on the project.
18:20 bakercp Anyway, we’ll get it figured out.
18:20 arturo our makefiles should work on windows with something like msys
18:20 arturo we just need some basic tools like make, grep, find...
18:21 kylemcd bakercp i think the biggest space for innovating here
18:21 bakercp yeah, mingw + msyn was the way I was doing it.
18:21 arturo i usually compile libraries on windows creating msys makefiles with cmake
18:21 kylemcd is with the error messages
18:21 kylemcd i like that when i start and run processing, pretty much the only thing i ever see is whether it worked or not
18:22 bakercp yeah — clang can output parsed error message with “did you mean …” style error messages.
18:22 kylemcd and if not, it gives a really good tip that applies to writing processing
18:22 kylemcd yeah exactly
18:22 dantheman hmm
18:22 bakercp we have clang research here: https://github.com/brannondorsey/ofSketch/wiki/Clang-Resources
18:22 dantheman trying to build ofSketch or is that a bad idea?
18:23 bakercp There are a lot of dependencies.  Should work if you are up to date with all of them … :)
18:23 GuidovanPossum I did see apt-get mentioned earlier and have wondered before if openframeworks could be set up as a package distro, just an idea?
18:23 prisonerjohn joined #openframeworks
18:23 dantheman lol ok
18:23 bakercp they are listed at the bottom of the readme.
18:23 bakercp you proobably have most of them (they are ofxHTTP, ofxIO, etc.)
18:23 jvcleave the baker's dozen? :)
18:24 bakercp modularity :)
18:24 dantheman lol
18:24 jvcleave I'm a fan
18:24 admsyn haha
18:24 dantheman yeah I think its complaining about something in ofxIO
18:25 kylemcd arturo do you think it would work to distribute OF as a package like with apt-get? cc GuidovanPossum
18:25 bakercp i update that about every 10 minutes, so … pull and
18:25 bakercp :)
18:25 dantheman kylemcd: it could
18:25 dantheman hah bakercp
18:25 bakercp @GuidovanPossum reg apt-get it seems like this might be a really good option after the 1.0.0 release.
18:25 arturo i've been looking into it from time to time
18:26 arturo at some point i had it working but updating it on ubuntu's ppa didn't work
18:26 dantheman arturo: I know a couple peeps in nyc have too
18:26 arturo but yeah that would be great
18:26 kylemcd brew install openframeworks
18:26 arturo yes
18:26 bakercp once we have 64 brew will be great :)
18:26 arturo it would be really useful for the rpi...
18:26 dantheman yeah it would
18:26 dantheman or whatever *arm linux board is hot
18:27 jvcleave openframeworks.Framework :)
18:27 dantheman gotta beat cinder to it
18:27 kylemcd hah hah
18:27 kylemcd ok, meeting adjourned :)
18:27 bakercp Hey folks — unfortunately I gotta tend to some other obligations — any questions re: ofSketch?
18:27 ofTheo bakercp - fyi I still have this issue with ofSketch - https://github.com/olab-io/ofSketch/issues/51
18:27 kylemcd thanks everyone for coming!
18:28 workergnome Later!
18:28 bakercp @ofTheo — yeah we haven’t figured that one out yet … :)
18:28 ofTheo ah okay - are you guys on 10.9 - is that why you don't have it?
18:28 bakercp yeah
18:28 dantheman ofTheo: try using proper browser
18:29 bakercp we have 10.9  … going to get a 10.8 VM running for testing.
18:29 ofTheo ha!
18:29 bakercp and maybe even a 10.7 :)
18:29 ofTheo nice nice
18:29 ofTheo happy to try stuff too for you
18:29 bakercp thanks!
18:29 bakercp OK>  Gotta jet. Thanks all!
18:30 dantheman bye
18:30 dantheman oh he left
18:31 ofTheo later all! :D
18:31 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
18:31 jvcleave suprised to see all these testApps in ofxCV kylemcd!
18:32 smallfly left #openframeworks
18:32 dantheman haha
18:33 dantheman isn't there a script?
18:33 jvcleave soemwhere I am sure
18:36 kylemcd jvcleave lol
18:37 kylemcd changing it now… :)
18:38 jvcleave hehe
18:50 jedahan joined #openframeworks
18:58 kylemcd left #openframeworks
18:59 GuidovanPossum joined #openframeworks
19:07 nylki_ joined #openframeworks
19:34 lukaszw joined #openframeworks
19:53 tgfrerer_ joined #openframeworks
20:50 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
20:57 MyMind is possible to use Airplay with openframeworks?
20:58 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
21:05 _pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
21:09 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
21:31 _pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
21:41 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
22:39 jedahan joined #openframeworks
23:14 sebllll joined #openframeworks

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary