Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2014-08-10

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:16 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
00:45 vade joined #openframeworks
00:47 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
01:18 sebllll joined #openframeworks
01:32 allartburns joined #openframeworks
01:42 allartburns joined #openframeworks
01:47 ilbot3 joined #openframeworks
01:47 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome to http://openframeworks.cc/ | logs at http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/
01:47 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
02:04 vade joined #openframeworks
02:18 mtrythall joined #openframeworks
02:46 mtrythall joined #openframeworks
03:47 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
04:47 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
04:52 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
04:54 GuidovanPossum joined #openframeworks
04:56 allartburns joined #openframeworks
05:05 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
06:33 DrCode joined #openframeworks
08:29 nongio joined #openframeworks
08:37 fuerstP joined #openframeworks
09:26 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
10:08 nylki joined #openframeworks
10:55 roxlu joined #openframeworks
11:39 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
11:57 nongio joined #openframeworks
12:28 vade joined #openframeworks
14:38 bilderbuchi joined #openframeworks
15:05 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
15:13 dantheman joined #openframeworks
15:19 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
15:20 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
15:30 nylki joined #openframeworks
15:50 dantheman joined #openframeworks
16:03 jedahan joined #openframeworks
16:10 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
16:31 dantheman my internet is totes flaky right now
16:31 dantheman :(
16:35 dantheman joined #openframeworks
16:39 dammhr joined #openframeworks
16:41 dammhr hello
16:41 dantheman yo
16:42 dammhr any information of ofxMostPixelsEver in OF 0.8.3 in macos?
16:43 dammhr iam use mac os 10.8.5
16:43 dammhr xcode Version 5.1.1 (5B1008)
16:43 dantheman i haven't used it in a while
16:43 dantheman I know zach was looking for something last week to do the same
16:43 dantheman have you tried using it?
16:44 dammhr yes
16:44 dantheman errors?
16:44 dammhr but have multiple errors
16:44 dantheman have you posted them anywhere
16:44 dammhr not found the jar archive to execute de server
16:44 dantheman like on a gist or a github issue?
16:44 dantheman ahh
16:44 dammhr iam reply in a post of multiple screens questions
16:44 dantheman are you using this https://github.com/obviousjim/ofxMostPixelsEver
16:45 dammhr yes
16:46 dantheman have you looked at any of the other forks?
16:46 dantheman https://github.com/isthisgood/ofxMostPixelsEver/network
16:46 dammhr http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/ouput-openframeworks-to-multiple-tv-screens/16654/5
16:46 dammhr sorry for my inglish, is so bad
16:46 bilderbuchi joined #openframeworks
16:47 dantheman no worries
16:48 dantheman we're about to start our dev meeting at 1 pm EST
16:48 dammhr will try this
16:48 dammhr https://github.com/kokinomura/ofxMostPixelsEver
16:48 dantheman so Immma tri to be quick
16:48 dantheman yeah look at the one that is most current maybe? with the newest commit date
16:49 dantheman can you follow up on the forum with your errors
16:49 dantheman and here is the most current java library https://github.com/shiffman/Most-Pixels-Ever-Processing
16:50 dantheman it should have the jar or you might have to build the jar
16:50 dantheman dammhr: I know shiffman updated it about a year ago
16:51 arturo joined #openframeworks
16:51 dantheman I have an addon that kinda does that but not really https://github.com/danthemellowman/ofxOSCSync
16:51 dantheman it just syncs time +/-~10ms and data from a server to multiple clients via OSC messages
16:51 dantheman hey arturo
16:52 dantheman dammhr: is looking for a good multiple screen sync addon like MostPixelsEver but is having issue with it tan 0.8.3
16:52 dantheman err it and*
16:52 dammhr thank you very much! I'll try a bit more
17:04 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
17:04 kylemcd sorry i’m late!
17:04 nongio hi
17:04 kylemcd hi :)
17:05 kylemcd so who is here right now?
17:06 kylemcd say “me” or something if you’re actually around
17:06 dantheman +/- 15 mins != late
17:06 nongio kylemcd: do you think is a good idea to talk about the project generator today?
17:06 ofzach joined #openframeworks
17:06 dantheman yes and https://github.com/olab-io/ofSketch
17:07 dantheman it hit 0.3.0 this week
17:07 nongio obviously
17:07 dantheman brannon is killing it
17:07 kylemcd nongio i had it on the agenda, but zach can’t make it so he asked to remove it
17:07 ofzach I’m here!
17:07 nongio hi
17:07 ofzach (sorry, I didn’t know if I could be on…)
17:07 bilderbuchi me
17:07 kylemcd oh nice!
17:07 dantheman ofzach anything is possible
17:08 ofzach it’s 3am here
17:08 dantheman week that's late
17:08 dantheman eeek* autocorrect
17:08 ofzach I can see why lukasz wants it earlier
17:08 kylemcd wow! maybe let’s start with that then? zach is there some way we can help you out w the proj generator?
17:08 ofzach yes - the work that riccardo just did is super great
17:09 dantheman is there some way we could merge it into ofSketch
17:09 dantheman like make it one app?
17:09 nongio zach I have updated the binary on dropbox and on git
17:09 bilderbuchi the PG and ofsketch are two differnt things, though?
17:09 ofzach oh awesoe, I’ll check it out
17:09 bilderbuchi conceptually, I mean
17:09 dantheman but like if ofSketch could use the same code to make a project? then start editing it
17:10 dantheman like file click new project
17:10 dantheman on a menu
17:10 kylemcd let’s keep making the project generator in its current version, and ofSketch can integrate it as necessary
17:10 dantheman out pops the window of the PG
17:10 dantheman but yeah
17:10 kylemcd ofSketch has shown an amazing ability to innovate and inegrate things :)
17:10 dantheman I see it as a platform
17:10 ofzach I think the first and most improtant thing is to have one PG dev path….
17:11 bilderbuchi +1 on that!
17:11 nongio I see ofsketch more as an ide
17:11 dantheman right
17:11 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
17:11 ofzach one place to follow the dev efforts, etc
17:11 ofzach I think the command line tool needs some testing and love…  but it’s a step in that direction
17:12 ofzach to try to make one tool that can be used for packages and also as the backend for the front end like ofSketch or what riccardo just made
17:12 bilderbuchi if we follow that PG-as-a-lib approach further, I think ofsketch could easily integrate it, right?
17:12 ofzach yep def
17:13 ofzach there’s some internal work that will be helpful for longer term maintenance of PG that relates to some refactoring in the xcode project and trying to remove pugixml as a dependancy
17:13 kylemcd oh wow, nongio i’m just checking out your email from earlier — hadn’t looked yet
17:13 dantheman what's the purpose of pugixml?
17:13 dantheman xpaths?
17:13 ofzach yes - there’s heavy xpath expressions to move through these xml docs
17:14 ofzach xcode is pretty gnarly in particular
17:14 bilderbuchi but now we can use poco, right?
17:14 bilderbuchi iirc
17:14 dantheman doesn't ofXml support paths?
17:14 ofzach that’s what christopher baker suggested
17:14 ofzach it’s not a full xpath parser as far as I know
17:14 ofzach but it has some of the functionality
17:14 dantheman word
17:15 ofzach (alot of times we are just bouncing through the document, it’s kind of like a jungle gym)
17:15 ofzach at any rate, I think having one place, sunsetting PG simple and moving all dev to one repo will be useful
17:15 dantheman +1
17:15 ofzach I would like it to be under openframeworks —
17:15 kylemcd i think once we have a new pg that implements everything from the current one
17:16 ofzach do you mean the simple one ? (or the one for making packages?)
17:16 kylemcd sorry, i mean the simple one — i forgot about the one for making packages :)
17:16 ofzach I think a good interim step is to use the current front end with the newer command line tool
17:17 ofzach I can take a look at this — then we can work to swap out the gui for the javascript based one.
17:17 dantheman wait there are 3?>
17:17 kylemcd there’s a lot going on right now dantheman
17:17 kylemcd let’s put it in the hackpad
17:17 bilderbuchi :-/
17:17 ofzach there’s quite a lot :)
17:17 kylemcd https://openframeworks.hackpad.com/IRC-Meetup-August-10
17:17 dantheman sorry I've been in heavy dev land since Eyeo
17:17 dantheman not paying attention
17:18 ofzach I really like the node webkit front end — I think it’s going to be easier and cleaner the CEF
17:18 ofzach I would like to also push for rearranging the whole OF package as we work towards getting the PG in
17:19 ofzach specifically removing devApps, making the folder structure more clear
17:19 dantheman +1
17:19 dantheman +!
17:19 kylemcd zach i think you should just go for it? is there any reason to be careful?
17:19 admsyn joined #openframeworks
17:19 ofzach pushing for a deeper project file / src folder structure ala cinder
17:19 dantheman scriptz
17:19 ofzach ie, project files in folders
17:20 ofzach things like a tests folder with things that don’t ship etc
17:20 ofzach at any rate, let me clean up the PG repo situation and get the headless one with the current gui
17:20 kylemcd ok
17:21 dantheman neato!
17:21 nongio using the mockup interface I have noticed some inconsistencies
17:21 ofzach like what?
17:21 nongio like adding projects vs meking new one
17:22 kylemcd the idea originally was that the intent of the user should be clear in both cases
17:22 nongio from the psd is not really clear how must be the interface
17:22 kylemcd we tried to consider all possible cases and find a conflict, but couldn’t… maybe we missed one
17:23 ofzach I think there was some issues about if you should see other platforms in the user facing PG
17:24 bilderbuchi btw, the package generator not only generates the packages, but also the project files to populate the examples/** folders.. I just saw that in the hackpad
17:24 dantheman yeah
17:24 bilderbuchi i.e. the one in apps/devapps
17:24 lmccart joined #openframeworks
17:24 dantheman and updates projects
17:24 ofzach kikko had some ideas about this and I think he revised the PSD at some point, let me forward that on
17:24 dantheman and cause it ++ useful in VS
17:24 dantheman I think it even reads the addons.make and updates a project based on those right?
17:25 ofzach sorry don’t understand the q
17:26 kylemcd i’m not sure there was a q
17:26 ofzach haha
17:26 kylemcd maybe more of a uncertainty about some details
17:26 kylemcd but i think
17:26 kylemcd we will discover the exact behavior of things as we continue to implement everything
17:26 ofzach the new front end should hook up quickly to the command line tool, since I did this for CEF front end
17:27 ofzach (and also the current gui also….)
17:27 kylemcd the overall idea, though, is that if the user’s intent can be inferred programmatically (based on files they dropped, or folder they selected, etc) then it shouldn’t have to be given manually
17:27 nongio ok
17:27 kylemcd and that sounds good, zach
17:27 bilderbuchi I'm more a fan of "explicit rather than implicit", tbh
17:27 kylemcd in the library and cli, i agree w you bilderbuchi
17:28 kylemcd but for the gui, i think it’s a different paradigm
17:28 ofzach I am also not super sure about drag and drop to change behaviour but let’s try it
17:28 dantheman this is a good ref for a similar app cli
17:28 dantheman http://developer.android.com/tools/projects/projects-cmdline.html
17:28 ofzach the tool tips are sort of wonky :)
17:28 ofzach oh cool
17:28 dantheman its how eclipse does all the android stuff
17:29 kylemcd does anyone know any cli that also updates project files for you
17:29 kylemcd or just ones that generate them? is cmake one of the only examples like that?
17:29 kylemcd there must be others
17:29 bilderbuchi premake?
17:29 ofzach I couldn’t find anythign that parses project files
17:29 ofzach they all generate new files
17:30 kylemcd yeah
17:30 ofzach I’ve found xcode specific ones that parse and alter
17:30 bilderbuchi link: http://industriousone.com/premake
17:30 ofzach but not a general tool
17:30 bilderbuchi I think it can do that, but not 100% sure
17:30 kylemcd i was just curious about the usage behavior
17:30 ofzach I did investigate this at some point
17:30 kylemcd i think cyril and i were imagining the situations where people have a broken project, or just source code, or whatever
17:30 kylemcd and they want a magic bandaid button
17:31 ofzach I think the current update of the PG will work
17:31 kylemcd we were imagining pg as that magic bandaid
17:31 ofzach (ie how the advanced pg handles this)
17:31 ofzach for sure testing the command line v. and improving it will be really helpful for stuff like this
17:31 kylemcd great
17:31 kylemcd well keep us up to date zach :)
17:32 kylemcd any other pg thoughts?
17:32 ofzach big applause to riccardo for jumping in, so excited for this
17:32 nongio :)
17:32 kylemcd yes, absolutely
17:32 nongio so the plan is to freeze the nodewebkit part until the CLI is ready?
17:33 kylemcd zach is going to try to integrate it into the CLI tool he’s working on
17:33 kylemcd i’m sure if you make updates, it’s ok, but it looks like it might be better to wait for more feedback from zach
17:33 ofzach let me get the repo sitauation under control and make something so the CLI is used internally and externall (current gui, making project files, etc)
17:33 kylemcd sorry, what zach said. :)
17:33 ofzach I think updates are good, and I wwant to try to hook it up soon too
17:34 dantheman one more to look at is Ant for reading and modifying/generating projects
17:34 kylemcd ah good call dan
17:34 dantheman all those java builders do that
17:34 kylemcd ok! let’s keep going.
17:34 kylemcd next!
17:34 kylemcd 2. 0.9.0 status
17:35 kylemcd bakercp is not around right
17:35 dantheman I've been tweaking android a bit and adding new features
17:35 dantheman I need to get them in a state to pull in
17:35 bilderbuchi so, awe aren't doing 0.8.4, right? cause then I'd move the issues over
17:35 dantheman like BoothToothLE Scanning support
17:35 arturo linux android and arm linux are already c++11, i think visual studio too
17:36 kylemcd no, after 0.8.3 we merged some crazy stuff
17:36 kylemcd so the next will be 0.9.0
17:36 bilderbuchi kk
17:36 dantheman I can do c++11 on master in droid land?
17:36 dantheman say what
17:36 kylemcd oh i just noticed about the milestones
17:36 kylemcd hmm one sec
17:37 fuerstP joined #openframeworks
17:37 bilderbuchi too late :D
17:37 bilderbuchi all is aimed at 0.9 now
17:38 kylemcd hah hah
17:38 kylemcd no worries
17:38 bilderbuchi 1 regression (https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/3107) and 7 criticals atm (https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3A0.9.0+label%3Acritical)
17:39 kylemcd ok so here’s where we’re at. 0.8.3 was july 2.
17:39 bilderbuchi 123 issues/prs overall, but I don't think we are gonna clear them all ;-)
17:40 kylemcd immediately after arturo merged some big programmable gl features, ofPtr was deprecated
17:40 kylemcd as well as emscripten, and c++11 support in a few places
17:40 dantheman well there is one less I closed one I had open
17:40 kylemcd so this is definitely 0.9.0, yes
17:41 arturo is there someone working on 64bit and c++11 on osx/win
17:41 dantheman I think the clouds guys are
17:41 dantheman and Elliot is
17:41 bilderbuchi what about the openframeworks/c++11 repo/fork?
17:41 kylemcd yeah i think it’s on james right now
17:42 bilderbuchi there's a lot of work over there, time to pull taht in?
17:42 bilderbuchi https://github.com/openFrameworks-cpp11/openFrameworks
17:42 kylemcd i think the issue is wrapped up with apothecary right
17:42 arturo i guess yes
17:42 kylemcd because we need to recompile libs to get c++11 out
17:43 arturo it's mostly about recompiling libraries
17:43 kylemcd and some people have the recompiled libs
17:43 kylemcd but we want to automate it
17:43 dantheman and this https://github.com/prisonerjohn/openFrameworks/tree/0.8.0_64 was the one to use for at bit
17:43 kylemcd seems better to do a release whether it’s automated or not though, right?
17:43 arturo we should also check that we are recompiling the latest versions so we don't do that twice
17:43 dantheman not sure
17:43 kylemcd ok
17:43 bilderbuchi better to wait for automation, imo
17:44 dantheman would be nice to get all of the work in one place
17:44 dantheman I have trouble keeping up where everything is and which fork and branch to use
17:44 bilderbuchi then the release prep can be a good testbed for the process. otherwise we could discover problems only when the next lib gets updated, sometime down the line
17:44 kylemcd dantheman are you interested in taking the lead? :)
17:44 dantheman ahhhh
17:44 kylemcd hah hah
17:44 bilderbuchi :D
17:44 dantheman when was the last time you looked at this graph https://github.com/prisonerjohn/openFrameworks/network
17:45 dantheman better the https://github.com/openFrameworks/openFrameworks/network
17:45 kylemcd bilderbuchi i see what you’re saying, but we also need to minimize dependencies between things involved in making a release
17:46 kylemcd ok, i’m going to send an email directly to everyone working on c++11/osx
17:46 kylemcd who is it right now? obviousjim, prisonerjohn, elliot, bakercp, who else?
17:46 bilderbuchi but we're already wuite a way there: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/pull/3116
17:46 bilderbuchi afaict
17:46 bilderbuchi tgferer maybe, idk?
17:47 arturo tgfrerer started the c++11 branch
17:47 kylemcd right, thanks
17:47 chrisallick joined #openframeworks
17:47 dantheman make a sub-group and be like Elliot you're in charge?
17:47 chrisallick sup
17:48 kylemcd kind of, except i have to ask them to volunteer :)
17:48 kylemcd hey chris
17:48 chrisallick loving this gui generator for os x :)
17:48 chrisallick great fade in
17:48 dantheman yo
17:49 ofzach yep it’s looking great
17:49 chrisallick so swag, would use
17:49 bilderbuchi so, what about the scope of 0.9.0? try to get in cpp11, apothecary, 64bit, then maybe some of the critical issues, then release as-is?
17:49 arturo i think so
17:50 bilderbuchi fine with me :-)
17:50 kylemcd that’s what i’m trying to say, except apothecary isn’t a 100% necessasity unless someone happens to finish it in time anyway
17:50 dantheman bugs are what 0.9.1 is for
17:50 bilderbuchi you did see the "try to", did you, kyle? ;-)
17:50 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
17:51 kylemcd ah, sorry
17:51 bilderbuchi bummer that bakercp isn't here...
17:51 dantheman yeah I don't see him online anywhere
17:51 dantheman he does that new kid and all
17:52 bilderbuchi heh, kids tend to do that...:-P
17:52 kylemcd so what do we do about the other ~120 0.9.0 issues
17:53 kylemcd there’s also some very lofty goals like this https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/3073
17:53 bilderbuchi orchestrate one mad dev weekend?
17:54 dantheman we need some work weekends in remote locations
17:54 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
17:55 kylemcd we are always looking for that, but i think the more realistic thing is to ask people to assign issues to themselves / claim issues — then move back everything that isn’t critical or claimed
17:56 kylemcd that’s my proposal: we have 1 week for people to claim issues, we move back everything that’s unclaimed
17:56 pizthewiz Would there be any benefit to having each oF sub-org go over issues in their space and take a pass at assignments?
17:56 kylemcd i’m also happy to add more collaborators to the repo to make the “assigned” thing work correctly
17:56 * pizthewiz would happily join the of-osx team
17:57 bilderbuchi happy to oblige, pizthewiz
17:57 dantheman dibs https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A0.9.0+label%3Aandroid
17:57 pizthewiz Yay issues to triage and help fix!
17:57 arturo there's also several PR's that are still not mergeable, couple of meetings ago we asked people to fix them and mail me or the dev list but haven't heard from anyone
17:57 kylemcd yes, can you add him bilderbuchi? thanks for offering pizthewiz :)
17:57 bilderbuchi yeah
17:57 dantheman I've fixed a couple of these already or well know the magic sauce
17:58 bilderbuchi on it
17:58 kylemcd arturo, let’s close them if they’re unresponsive — with a note that we can reopen if they have a chance to look again
17:58 dantheman I was hunting 2739 down on friday
17:58 dantheman or starting to
17:59 dantheman well something similar
17:59 arturo kylecmd, ok i can just add a comment in the ones that seem ready except they are not mergeable
17:59 bilderbuchi dan, you're  @danthemellowman, right?
17:59 dantheman yeah
17:59 dantheman I need a rebrand
17:59 dantheman on github
17:59 kylemcd arturo, that sounds good too
17:59 bilderbuchi ok. accept, and I can assign the issues to you :-)
18:00 kylemcd bilderbuchi let pizthewiz self-assign things :) better for everyone to volunteer when they’re excited about something i think
18:00 kylemcd then we can give support rather than just responsibilities
18:01 bilderbuchi this was re: Dan and his "dibs" post
18:01 kylemcd ah whoops, hah hah
18:01 bilderbuchi but yeah, of course
18:01 bilderbuchi people can self-assign..
18:01 bilderbuchi anyone else want to join some teams?
18:02 kylemcd arturo, i was just thinking it makes sense to keep the PR list clean, and have the same kind of expectations of contributors as we do of the core (i.e., anything that’s unresponded to after some amount of time can be acted on without extra feedback) — but letting them stick around a little longer isn’t a huge problem
18:02 ofzach (ciao everyone, gotta run…. )
18:02 kylemcd bye zach!
18:02 nongio bye!
18:02 ofzach (also, for those of you that know friedrich, this happened today: http://i.imgur.com/x86y9Ed.jpg)
18:03 kylemcd lol wtffff
18:03 ofzach (my OF workshop got crashed by a coke and mentos party)
18:03 kylemcd hah hah
18:03 kylemcd ok i’m going to respond to the irc meetup thread with a note about people assigning issues to themselves, then we move issues to the next milestone that are unassigned in 1 week
18:03 ofzach left #openframeworks
18:04 chrisallick can someone point me to a good starting point to catch up on current initiatives so i can figure out how to be most helpful?
18:04 chrisallick unless there is some brute force busy work needed on anything, ie just some people hours needed
18:05 kylemcd chrisallick if you want to contribute code, the best thing is to look at the issues list
18:05 dantheman chrisallick http://openframeworks.hackpad.com/IRC-Meetup-August-10#IRC-Meetup-August-10-2014
18:06 bilderbuchi OF issues are at https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues, you can filter with labels to tune to your area of expertise
18:06 dantheman kylemcd: I was thinking marco level
18:06 dantheman not left to do
18:06 chrisallick ah, nice
18:06 bilderbuchi "bitesize" label are small, easy bugs
18:07 bilderbuchi often nice for a beginner
18:07 kylemcd also, chrisallick if you write to the of-dev list introducing what you’re interested in, we can definitely find something for you to help with :)
18:07 kylemcd http://dev.openframeworks.cc/listinfo.cgi/of-dev-openframeworks.cc
18:07 bilderbuchi check out the contributing.md doc in the OF root, and the wiki at https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/wiki
18:07 kylemcd not sure if i saw any messages from you on there already
18:07 chrisallick ok cool, i was trying to do research to figure out if someone had looked into an xcode style solution for dependencies like cocoapods
18:07 pizthewiz (OFPlugin)
18:08 chrisallick i was fiddling with that
18:08 kylemcd there was also a command line tool a while ago i think some people still use, more similar to npm
18:08 nongio ofx
18:08 kylemcd anyway — ok — so in 1 week we’ll re-evaluate, i think it’s too hard to say what the ‘deadline’ will be for 0.9.0 right now
18:08 bilderbuchi +1 from me
18:09 kylemcd so let’s finish off with the last item
18:09 kylemcd 3. CI server (bilderbuchi)
18:10 bilderbuchi yeah. so, in spring I started work on a Jenkins Continuous integration server for OF
18:10 bilderbuchi I toiled on it quite some time, it's running, but I hit some serious roadblocks
18:10 bilderbuchi due to other (RL) circumstances, I don't see myself realistically finishing this.
18:11 bilderbuchi so, if someone wants to take over, I'd gladly accept.
18:11 kylemcd which, btw, is totally reasonable :)
18:11 bilderbuchi The other course of action would be to use another build server. Buildbot (mentioned previously by Dan I think) is a strong candidate
18:11 bilderbuchi btw, http://23.253.217.105:8080/
18:11 kylemcd so what kind of person are we looking for to pick up where you left off?
18:12 kylemcd (also, thanks for all the work you did up to this point)
18:12 bilderbuchi Ideally, someone who knows a bit about CI servers.
18:12 bilderbuchi someone who believes in automation in software development would be good. I think it would really make our release and PR pipeline much smoother
18:12 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
18:13 bilderbuchi if we end up using buildbot, it's written in PYthon, so python knowledge would be useful for that.
18:13 bilderbuchi kyle, repost last msg:
18:13 bilderbuchi Ideally, someone who knows a bit about CI servers.
18:13 bilderbuchi someone who believes in automation in software development would be good. I think it would really make our release and PR pipeline much smoother
18:13 kylemcd thanks :) just saw in the log
18:14 chrisallick gotta hop off, ill peep the notes later. my pythong and devops is pretty strong so might be helpful there.
18:14 dantheman bilderbuchi: just catching up
18:15 dantheman I sort of know jenkins
18:15 kylemcd what is your personal recommendation regarding continuing with jenkins vs using buildbot
18:15 bilderbuchi +1 chrisallick
18:15 bilderbuchi dantheman: great!
18:16 dantheman chris and I were talking about google test
18:16 bilderbuchi personally, I initially chose jenkins (buildbot was nr.2) because there's a whole load of plugins out there for stuff you'd want to do. however, it turned out that if those plugins don't support what you want, you're out of luck.
18:16 dantheman also for the unit tests
18:16 dantheman world I'mma look into it
18:16 bilderbuchi buildbot seems more attractive because the config is more code-based (as opposed to clicking around in a web interfrace), and we could really tailor it to our needs,
18:16 dantheman right
18:16 dantheman that's why I was looking at it
18:16 bilderbuchi google test is just a testing framework, not a CI, though, right?
18:17 dantheman right
18:17 dantheman I think buildBot has google test integration
18:17 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
18:17 kylemcd (i see all the msgs)
18:17 bilderbuchi And having hit some infuriating roadblocks with some of the involved plugins, right now it seems much more tempting to go with uildbot
18:18 bilderbuchi (our usecase is pretty complex, unfortunately)
18:18 dantheman right
18:18 dantheman I mean there are 6/7 platforms to build and test on
18:18 pizthewiz I've gotta run too - thanks for the team add, I'll read through the wiki for contribution process and give the issues a look soon
18:18 bilderbuchi if we go with buildbot, I'd target the upcoming release, 0.9, which is a serious overhaul/refactor, and currently in beta or so
18:18 dantheman right
18:18 dantheman I tend to always run off master
18:19 dantheman so I'll just target it
18:19 nongio left #openframeworks
18:19 kylemcd ok, it might also make sense to trying to do both at the same time w diff people — bb and jenkins, if jenkins already has so much progress anyway
18:19 bilderbuchi so you got experience with buildbot already? nice! Nine is in master already
18:19 kylemcd dan if you want to go for bb that would be amazing
18:19 nongio joined #openframeworks
18:19 dantheman I have a half completed one
18:19 dantheman I'll get back on it
18:19 bilderbuchi if dantheman and chrisallick could take a look at buildbot, that would be amazing!
18:20 kylemcd or that :) sounds good too
18:20 bilderbuchi I think we can also offer server resources for that (right, kyle?)
18:20 kylemcd yes
18:20 kylemcd we can make as many rackspace hosts as we want, apparently
18:20 kylemcd it’s kind of incredible, they’ve been very helpful
18:20 dantheman nice
18:21 bilderbuchi I'll try to help, my python is alright, my time budget not so much :-(
18:21 dantheman I was just gonna put it on a pi and a OSX box that runs a LinuxVM and WindowVM
18:21 kylemcd dan if you want to test on your own machine at first, that’s great — but if you want to jump into a remote server right away let me know and i can get you setup with a rackspace machine
18:21 dantheman kk
18:22 bilderbuchi btw, Dan, I did send you an email a while back about this. I think (so many dans..)
18:22 bilderbuchi did you actually ge that?
18:22 dantheman let me check
18:22 dantheman I'm at so many unread emails
18:22 bilderbuchi :D july 16th
18:23 bilderbuchi are you daniel.james.moore at ....?
18:24 kylemcd (that’s him)
18:24 bilderbuchi anyway, I think we can take this to the devlist, dantheman? I was taking notes, so after bringing those in order I can share some more in-depth thoughts if you want
18:24 dantheman yeah but I sunset that accoun
18:24 bilderbuchi thanks, kyle
18:24 dantheman dan@makeitdoathing.com
18:24 dantheman its like 99999 unread
18:24 bilderbuchi thx
18:25 bilderbuchi email-DDOS is a thing, apparently? :D
18:25 kylemcd ok! super productive meeting, more to talk about than i expected :)
18:25 dantheman its just a really old gmail account that got on sooo many lists
18:26 kylemcd i’m going to call it a meeting — next time we should all hop on a google hangout just to see what happens
18:26 dantheman haha
18:27 nongio could be fun
18:27 bilderbuchi hehe.
18:27 bilderbuchi thanks for hosting/modding, kyle!
18:28 kylemcd thanks for hanging out everyone :) see you next time!
18:28 nongio bye
18:28 dantheman i'm out
18:28 nongio guys I have question regarding the usage of the programmable renderer
18:29 nongio I’m just want to draw a sphere with environmental map
18:29 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
18:29 bilderbuchi also, regrets from christoperbaker, he couldn't join
18:29 bilderbuchi darn, too late :P
18:30 nongio i have seen that there are autogenerated shaders to do the lighting stuff, is there an good way to hook into these shaders?
18:31 nongio I mean the shaders into ofMaterial…
18:34 arturo all you can do right now is get the lights data to use in a custom shader
18:34 nongio I need to reimplement the code inside ofMaterial
18:35 arturo yes, right now is the only way
18:35 nongio not everything but at least for the light that i’m interested in
18:36 arturo we can look into what's the best way to do things like this, getting access to the shader source through some function, or passing parameters for more advanced functionality...
18:37 nongio to do that we should abstract the shader concept
18:37 arturo yes i guess it's best to go through ofMAterial and add parameter for more advanced stuff or add more types of materials
18:38 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
18:39 nongio btw the work on ofMaterial is great! I’m studing the orange book and ofMaterial is really clear
18:39 arturo thanks :)
18:39 arturo i have to leave but if you want to open an issue to discuss this? having some possible use cases would be a great start point
18:40 nongio ok, I’ll try to do exrcises and we’ll see
18:40 arturo :) ok bye!
18:40 nongio bye
18:44 GuidovanPossum joined #openframeworks
18:44 bilderbuchi left #openframeworks
19:31 fuerstP joined #openframeworks
19:33 arturo joined #openframeworks
19:35 vade joined #openframeworks
19:45 lmccart joined #openframeworks
20:21 okjake joined #openframeworks
20:21 asper hi there. is it possible to declare a vector<ofColor_> (the template class) rather than one for ofColor ofFloatColor and ofShortColor ?
20:30 nongio joined #openframeworks
20:34 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
21:17 nongio joined #openframeworks
21:37 mtrythall joined #openframeworks
21:43 tmm88 joined #openframeworks
21:43 tmm88 hey guys
21:43 tmm88 what's up
21:43 tmm88 has anyone tried to integrate a c++ supercollider client
21:43 tmm88 into openframeworks
21:44 tmm88 so that without needing to use opensoundcontrol
21:44 tmm88 you can directly integrate supercollider on openframeworks
21:44 tmm88 natively i mean
21:53 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
22:04 fuerstP what do you mean with directly integrate into OF ? you always would need the server, and to controll the server you would always need OSC, sclang does nothing else then sending OSC messages to the server
22:10 asper fuerstP: he is gone already.
22:13 fuerstP saw it after I have sent it :)
22:27 dantheman joined #openframeworks
22:46 dantheman left #openframeworks
22:58 neue joined #openframeworks
23:09 vade joined #openframeworks
23:50 yu1ch1 joined #openframeworks
23:51 dantheman joined #openframeworks
23:54 dantheman_ joined #openframeworks

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary