Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2014-09-07

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 admsyn joined #openframeworks
00:14 w4ffles_ joined #openframeworks
00:17 kureta joined #openframeworks
00:36 w4ffles_ joined #openframeworks
01:19 sebllll_ joined #openframeworks
01:45 oneironaut joined #openframeworks
01:48 jsph joined #openframeworks
03:56 vade joined #openframeworks
04:47 jsph joined #openframeworks
04:56 zhxasdm joined #openframeworks
04:57 zhxasdm hi
05:00 kureta joined #openframeworks
06:22 jsph joined #openframeworks
06:30 VbKing joined #openframeworks
07:42 robot joined #openframeworks
08:06 kj_ joined #openframeworks
08:23 Razorien joined #openframeworks
09:00 kureta_m joined #openframeworks
09:57 darthdeus joined #openframeworks
10:34 jchillerup joined #openframeworks
10:59 jchillerup joined #openframeworks
11:03 DrCode joined #openframeworks
11:31 fuerstP joined #openframeworks
11:50 kureta joined #openframeworks
13:19 jarrydb joined #openframeworks
14:31 robot joined #openframeworks
14:37 dantheman joined #openframeworks
14:57 dantheman sup
15:17 AndroUser joined #openframeworks
15:22 bakercp joined #openframeworks
15:40 reynaga joined #openframeworks
16:25 VbKing joined #openframeworks
16:48 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
16:55 jvcleave joined #openframeworks
16:58 prisonerjohn joined #openframeworks
16:59 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
17:00 dantheman brb
17:01 kylemcd yoyo
17:02 kylemcd waiting for one of TAZ then we’ll start
17:02 tgfrerer left #openframeworks
17:03 prisonerjohn Hey all, first OF IRC meetup for me! I actually don't think I've been on IRC this millenium yet :)
17:04 tgfrerer joined #openframeworks
17:04 caitlin_ joined #openframeworks
17:04 kylemcd hah congrats elie :)
17:07 ofzach joined #openframeworks
17:07 lmccart joined #openframeworks
17:07 dantheman lol
17:07 admsyn joined #openframeworks
17:07 bakercp joined #openframeworks
17:08 admsyn hi all
17:08 ofzach hola
17:08 tgfrerer hey
17:08 kylemcd hey everyone, still waiting for one of TAZ then we’ll start
17:08 ofzach I’m here
17:09 kylemcd oh hah!
17:09 kylemcd i missed you :)
17:09 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome to http://openframeworks.cc/ | logs at http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/ | meetup https://openframeworks.hackpad.​com/IRC-Meetup-September-7-2014
17:09 dantheman lol
17:09 kylemcd let’s do this
17:09 kylemcd link to agenda in topic
17:09 ofzach TAZ always makes me think of http://photo.sing365.com/music/picture.ns​f/Yaz-Upstairs-at-Eric's-Cover/48256C7100​3578A24825697300083721/$file/upstairs.jpg
17:10 ofzach (sorry)
17:10 kylemcd makes me think of anarchy http://en.wikipedia.org/wik​i/Temporary_Autonomous_Zone
17:10 kylemcd :)
17:11 ofzach next!
17:11 kylemcd down to business!
17:11 kylemcd welcome everyone
17:11 kylemcd 1. 0.9.0
17:11 kylemcd unassigned, non-critical, non-regressions are being pushed back to 0.9.1 as promised (bilderbuchi + me)
17:11 kylemcd this is done
17:11 dantheman lol
17:11 kylemcd two quick reminders about how we want to do milestones
17:12 kylemcd Once a milestone is current, we shouldn't add new issues to it (except regressions & critical).
17:12 kylemcd otherwise we get feature creep
17:12 kylemcd also: Assigning yourself doesn't necessarily mean you will be the one writing the code, just that you're going to make sure it gets done.
17:12 kylemcd so if you know someone who can help that you can mentor towards fixing the bug, feel free to assign yourself then work with that person
17:13 kylemcd we’re trying to keep collaboration open, so people can assign themselves, and responsibilities are clearer
17:13 * admsyn assigns self to things
17:13 kylemcd no one should feel an ambiguous pressure to work on things they haven’t assigned themselves to
17:14 kylemcd and should always feel free to unassign themselves as their interest, expertise and schedule requires :)
17:14 kylemcd the same thing will happen with PRs next, please assign yourself to anything you want in 0.9.0
17:14 kylemcd right now there are 22 PRs
17:14 kylemcd https://github.com/openframeworks/openFramewor​ks/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3A0.9.0+is%3Apr
17:14 kylemcd and a bunch are unassigned
17:15 kylemcd usually PRs get closed quickly, but some clear responsibility here will help too
17:16 kylemcd here are a few issues without people assigned: https://github.com/openframeworks/ope​nFrameworks/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milest​one%3A0.9.0+is%3Aissue+no%3Aassignee+
17:16 kylemcd we really need help on these!
17:16 kylemcd they’re critical or regressions
17:17 kylemcd ok last piece of info:
17:17 kylemcd i’m trying to find out from people who are working on 0.9.0 issues what their timeline looks like
17:17 kylemcd and so far julapy has gotten back to say the critical ones are in the next few weeks, so i’m guessing in a few months for his issues in total
17:18 kylemcd ofzach & anyone else working on 0.9.0 issues, what kind of timeline is good for you?
17:18 ofzach next week or two look good for me
17:18 dantheman I'm swamped but things are clearing up
17:19 dantheman I've got a free day the 19th
17:19 admsyn I'm in the same boat as dantheman
17:19 dantheman lol sort of
17:19 kylemcd dantheman you’re not currently assigned to any 0.9.0 issues but we’d love your help
17:19 dantheman I thought I was
17:19 dantheman on the android
17:19 kylemcd dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFra​meworks/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3A0.​9.0+is%3Aissue+assignee%3Adanthemellowman
17:19 dantheman I had stuff
17:20 admsyn there's an android sound one assigned to me that has much more to do with android than sound IIRC
17:20 dantheman https://github.com/openframew​orks/openFrameworks/pull/3004
17:20 kylemcd https://github.com/openframewo​rks/openFrameworks/issues/2080
17:20 dantheman I assume any bug I file is my responsibility to fix
17:21 kylemcd dantheman not necessarily :)
17:21 kylemcd everyone should report bugs they find, even if they can’t fix them
17:21 dantheman yeah yeah
17:21 kylemcd admsyn is the issue i posted the one?
17:22 admsyn kylemcd: yes
17:22 kylemcd great, reassigned to dan
17:22 kylemcd (assuming you can take a look dan)
17:22 dantheman I can
17:22 kylemcd great
17:22 dantheman I'll find time
17:22 kylemcd so i think we’re looking at 2 months to finish 0.9.0
17:23 kylemcd with the most critical stuff happening before the end of this month, and apothecary testing near the end?
17:23 ofzach sounds good
17:23 kylemcd let’s talk about that if we can
17:23 kylemcd pizthewiz do you have some apothecary notes?
17:23 pizthewiz Unfortunately I think bakercp and ofTheo know the most about the current state.
17:24 kylemcd yes, bakercp can’t be here but wrote a quick note to the dev list
17:24 pizthewiz I think formulas are being written and progress is being made, but I'm not sure where abouts things are.
17:25 pizthewiz iOS also seems to be getting the Apothecary treatment so that is good news for armv7s/arm64/non-PIE folk
17:25 kylemcd ok main question for bakercp (he asked to leave questions in the irc logs): what kind of timeline does he see, and where can he use more help?
17:25 pizthewiz @admsyn isn't there a tracking issue floating around for the formulas that need to be written?
17:26 admsyn pizthewiz: yes, theo created that one I think
17:26 admsyn pizthewiz: mine is the sorta top level C++11 one that has apothecary as step one
17:27 * admsyn looks
17:27 pizthewiz Actually, maybe I was mistakenly thinking of the tracking Google Doc / Markdown file in the Apothecary repo
17:27 dantheman https://github.com/openframeworks/openFramework​s/commits/master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary
17:27 dantheman is a pretty good report
17:27 pizthewiz Either way a list of what is done, the state and what needs to be done would be great then we could lend a hand where possible
17:28 admsyn pizthewiz: mine's here, I think it's irrelevant now though that all apothecary is in the OF repo
17:28 admsyn https://github.com/openfram​eworks/apothecary/issues/39
17:28 pizthewiz dantheman: I think the new formula stuff is being done in a branch
17:28 dantheman ahh
17:30 kylemcd could someone explain the apothecary vs openframeworks repo to me? i saw a comment saying apothecary repo was going to have issues migrated over
17:30 dantheman lol I just realized why bakercp was asking me about how to build android stuff end of last month
17:30 kylemcd what is the status with that?
17:30 dantheman idk
17:31 dantheman looks like the apothecary repo is behind master
17:31 bilderbuchi joined #openframeworks
17:31 admsyn I think that was bakercp, but I was sorta out of the loop when that was going on
17:32 pizthewiz I think it is merged into the main repo now and the original was just being kept around for the issues?
17:32 bilderbuchi heyho folks!
17:32 jvcleave pizthewiz: that is what I was thinking
17:33 dantheman make sense
17:33 kylemcd hey bilderbuchi :)
17:34 kylemcd ok, is there any easy way to migrate issues from apothecary to the OF repo?
17:34 arturo joined #openframeworks
17:34 dantheman I think that was why they kept them around
17:34 prisonerjohn we've used this issue migration tool for Processing: https://github.com/IQAndreas/github-issues-import
17:36 pizthewiz I lied, it looks like there are several formula PRs against master: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrame​works/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+apothecary
17:36 prisonerjohn It changes the issue author but keeps links to original posters, comments. Ends up looking kind of like this: https://github.com/processin​g/processing-docs/issues/53
17:36 pizthewiz Notabally, the formulas are being written for *all* OF supported archs, not just OS X
17:36 kylemcd that looks great prisonerjohn
17:36 bilderbuchi do we need that? I just thought we'd get rid of/close/fix the remaining apothecary issues, then continue in the OF repo?
17:37 kylemcd bilderbuchi yeah maybe the trick is just being more clear about what’s going
17:37 kylemcd on
17:37 kylemcd how about we add a note to the apothecary repo description saying it’s not being used anymore
17:37 bilderbuchi btw we got an ofbot github user we can use for this automated migration, if we want to keep the author neutral.
17:37 dantheman that works
17:37 bilderbuchi or just close any newly opened issues, and refer to the OF tracker?
17:38 kylemcd and drop all the files in apothecary/master to disuade people from adding/changing it
17:38 dantheman I might need that for the buildbot stuff
17:38 dantheman (which I got working)
17:38 bilderbuchi i figured dantheman, ping me off list
17:38 bilderbuchi for the login, i mean
17:38 dantheman wordz
17:39 dantheman kylemcd: can we try to get a tests section added before 0.9.0?
17:39 dantheman like for the release?
17:39 ofzach I would like to push for my PR
17:39 ofzach that had a tests folder
17:39 dantheman oo I haven't see that
17:39 ofzach it was a more liberal use of the word tests
17:39 kylemcd yeah let’s focus on what zach’s already done
17:40 kylemcd anything extra that’s not a PR or milestones issue already should wait for another release
17:40 ofzach but I was thinking it could grow to have auatomation
17:40 dantheman https://github.com/openframew​orks/openFrameworks/pull/2917
17:40 bilderbuchi +1 to automation! :-)
17:40 dantheman ofzach: I'm pretty liberal with my definitions for that as well
17:40 ofzach I like encouraging all kinds of tests — performance, system, etc
17:40 ofzach not everything is pass fail :)
17:41 dantheman right
17:41 dantheman cause somethings are greyscale
17:41 ofzach but automation will be great too
17:41 ofzach haha
17:41 dantheman literally
17:41 dantheman no yeah I was thinking of a Is It Flipped test and how to catch that
17:42 kylemcd lol
17:42 kylemcd ofFlippedSinceLastRelease()
17:42 dantheman ask prisonerjohn about that
17:42 bilderbuchi (just to wrap up on the previous point about the apothecary tracker - there's 10 open issues, I think we can wait until we close them, move any stragglers over manually, then kill the repo)
17:42 kylemcd bilderbuchi yes i just added this https://github.com/openfram​eworks/apothecary/issues/42
17:43 kylemcd and changed the description to “This is deprecated, please contribute to apothecary in the openFrameworks core.”
17:43 prisonerjohn haha
17:43 kylemcd something i forgot to add to the agenda before:
17:43 bilderbuchi thanks
17:44 kylemcd f. Any remaining 0.9.0 discussion?
17:44 arturo hey i wanted to ask about this PR
17:44 kylemcd does anyone have questions about issues they’re working on, or want attention for PRs?
17:44 kylemcd hi arturo :)
17:44 arturo https://github.com/openframew​orks/openFrameworks/pull/2493
17:44 arturo i have rebased it again against master and it's ready but want to be sure we want this to be merged
17:44 bilderbuchi I haven't yet had time to catch up with Github since yesterday, anything needed from me w.r.t. 0.9?
17:45 arturo main problem is it breaks the base classes so now some methods have to be const
17:45 arturo but i think we should move towards const correctness
17:45 kylemcd bilderbuchi i think you’re doing great — thanks for doing those 0.9.0 -> 0.9.1 moves recently
17:45 bilderbuchi ok
17:45 bilderbuchi +1 for more const correctness, the time for breaking things is now
17:46 kylemcd arturo i’m with you, i think it’s safe to break things if we document it well
17:46 dantheman bilderbuchi: yup
17:46 dantheman do it now so I can fix my stuff before the 17th
17:46 dantheman :P
17:47 ofzach +1 go for it
17:47 arturo perfect!
17:47 kylemcd :)
17:47 bilderbuchi changelog entries, to make sure people notice it
17:47 bilderbuchi (but i assume you already did that anyway :-))
17:48 arturo i gues my main doubt is if we want all draw methods to be const, i think it's the way to go in the core but perhpas enforcing it in bsae classes will be hard to implement for others. my assumption is that anyone using base classes should be advanced enough to know that changes should happen in update
17:49 kylemcd arturo that’s my feeling too, i was just thinking aboutaddons that extend ofBaseDraws
17:49 dantheman ooooo
17:49 dantheman ofxUI is gonna break so hard
17:49 bilderbuchi I think if we use constness to enforce the "correct" path, that can only be good for devs in the long run?
17:49 ofzach (googles "public ofBaseDraws”)
17:50 kylemcd bilderbuchi yes
17:50 arturo yes that's my only doubt, if it's going to be too problematic. i was using ofxCv i think and couldn't draw a polyline because it was const which didn't seem very logical
17:50 dantheman ofzach: a better search https://github.com/search?q=public+ofBas​eDraws&type=Code&utf8=%E2%9C%93
17:50 arturo but then it might be a headhache to port for some addons
17:51 kylemcd arturo, not sure i understand the ofxCv polyline thing
17:51 kylemcd but shouldn’t the fix for this in addons be just adding “const” to implemented methods?
17:51 ofzach I think if there’s a clear document somewhere about this it would be a place to point addon developers / etc
17:51 bilderbuchi can we come up with a nice document outlining the migration steps to make it easier for people to fix broken code?
17:51 kylemcd hah
17:51 arturo yes unless they are modifying something in draw
17:51 bilderbuchi heh, ninja'd
17:52 kylemcd sounds like we need a document
17:52 ofzach jinx
17:52 jvcleave kylemcd: https://github.com/kylemcdonald/ofxCv/issues/54
17:52 kylemcd oh jvcleave i get it
17:52 arturo ok, yes i think most people are not really inheriting from that class but using them as parameters or to store things in vectors
17:52 kylemcd yeah that’s me designing my code well, but OF not acting sanely ;)
17:52 ofzach (or an extension of this document with more OF paterns: http://openframeworks.cc/tutorials/devel​opers/001_how_openFrameworks_works.html)
17:53 kylemcd yeah i’m definitely in favor of a document plus merging this PR
17:54 arturo ok i'll add something to that doc and ways to port code to be const correct
17:54 kylemcd there will be only a few addons that don’t have clean fixes, but not changing now will just create more problems in the long run
17:54 bilderbuchi put the doc in the wiki, link to it from the changelog, sounds like a good path to get it noticed
17:54 kylemcd great
17:54 kylemcd any other PRs or issues for 0.9.0 people would like some attention for?
17:54 arturo sounds good!
17:54 bilderbuchi did a timeline get fixed?
17:55 bilderbuchi /deadline/aimed release date?
17:55 bilderbuchi (not yet through the log from today)
17:55 kylemcd bilderbuchi we’re aiming for monday november 11
17:55 bilderbuchi alright, I see that's already the milestone date, thx!
17:55 jvcleave is that a release date or a RC date?
17:55 kylemcd that date needs a review from bakercp but i think it’s reasonable
17:55 dantheman when should we start doing RCs?
17:56 kylemcd let’s say nov 11 is RC date
17:56 jvcleave (I vote RC date)
17:56 bilderbuchi whenever we get close, I guess
17:56 jvcleave :)
17:56 admsyn one thing maybe worth bringing up: xcode 6 is probably going to be properly out before that, and the download off the of.cc site doesn't work with it (been fixed in master)
17:56 kylemcd oh wow good point admsyn
17:56 admsyn the fix is just to swap the CoreOF.xcconfig files, but not sure what that means for almighty semver
17:57 dantheman admsyn: can you hotfix stable?
17:57 dantheman and repackage?
17:57 admsyn I can't in terms of permissions etc but the actual fix is trivial
17:57 dantheman right
17:57 admsyn I forum-posted it if someone wants to just update the zip
17:57 dantheman word
17:57 kylemcd are there any regressions in master that aren’t in 0.8.3?
17:57 dantheman I'm still on 4.6 and 5
17:58 kylemcd maybe it makes sense to do a quick release of master instead of a hotfix?
17:58 admsyn http://forum.openframeworks.cc/​t/xcode6-compile-issue/16507/3
17:58 arturo i think we can do a 0.8.4 with that fix if xcode 6 comes out before 0.9
17:58 dantheman kylemcd: well before the big changes go yes
17:58 bilderbuchi (hotfix would also be a release ;-))
17:58 dantheman 0.8..3.1
17:58 kylemcd arturo it will def come out before 0.9, i suspect on tuesday they’ll release it
17:58 ofzach (I’ve got to run— ciao everyone!)
17:58 ofzach left #openframeworks
17:58 dantheman a library configure not a code change
17:58 kylemcd ok
17:58 admsyn also: lol at the link-clicks on that, I wonder how many people have been bitten by it
17:59 dantheman it comes with the new phone
17:59 pizthewiz iOS 8 development requires it, yes
17:59 dantheman 10.10 will probably ship
17:59 bilderbuchi hm, if it's just a library config thing, I guess it would be fine to just repackage, but just calling it 0.8.4 doesn't hurt, and doesn't make more work, right?
18:00 kylemcd yeah, it’s a little confusing because only osx gets the version change
18:00 dantheman right
18:00 arturo no, it's actually the same work to repackage than make 0.8.4
18:00 admsyn bilderbuchi: yeah it's barely even that, it's a build setting twiddle
18:00 pizthewiz Quality wise it might be easier to have 0.8.3 + fix, that way we don't have to qualify master for release though no?
18:00 dantheman right
18:01 bilderbuchi qualify? you'd do a hotfix off of stable, that's what it'S here for
18:01 bilderbuchi (don't forget to merge that into master, though!)
18:01 dantheman lol
18:01 kylemcd bilderbuchi what do you think this fix release should be called?
18:01 bilderbuchi 0.8.4
18:01 kylemcd because we clearly need to do it asap
18:01 dantheman 0.8.3 for Xocde 6
18:01 kylemcd hah hah
18:01 dantheman Xcode 6
18:01 kylemcd bilderbuchi and what happens to the other platforms?
18:02 arturo yes we can do it right now, admsyn, can you create a brach with that fix only?
18:02 kylemcd are they also 0.8.4 even though they haven’t been repackaged?
18:02 arturo also the rpi has stopped compiling
18:02 arturo we can include that too
18:02 dantheman arturo: on stable?
18:02 admsyn arturo: sure
18:02 kylemcd ah, that changes this :) so let’s get down on 0.8.4 asap
18:02 bilderbuchi either nothing (and leave at 0.8.3), or repackage with no changes, and call it 0.8.4 (which is a bit silly, but platform-consistent)
18:02 arturo just a new branch, fix-xcode6 or something like that
18:03 bilderbuchi off of stable, remember!
18:03 bilderbuchi not master
18:03 admsyn arturo: as in openframeworks/openframeworks/hotfix-osx or admsyn/openframeworks/hotfix-osx
18:03 admsyn oh ok gotcha
18:03 arturo openframeworks is fine
18:03 kylemcd thans admsyn
18:03 arturo yes checkout the 0.8.3 tag and cherry pick the commit
18:03 bilderbuchi branch off of stable, PR, merge into stable, release 0.8.4, merge stable back into master, continue as planned
18:03 arturo i'll add the fix for the raspberry to that and do the release
18:03 bilderbuchi that's the dance
18:04 admsyn oh shi- that put me back in line endings hell, I thought I had escaped
18:04 * admsyn flip all the tables
18:05 pizthewiz Gotta ✈️, I'll catch the logs later to see how things went down
18:05 kylemcd ok admsyn/arturo/bilderbuchi let’s take care of it post-meeting
18:05 admsyn sure
18:05 bilderbuchi yeah
18:05 kylemcd but excellent catch, and thanks for taking the lead
18:05 bilderbuchi argh, line endings, god****
18:05 jvcleave arturo: if the OF zip link changes this page will need to be updated http://openframeworks.cc/setup/raspber​rypi/Raspberry-Pi-Getting-Started.html
18:06 arturo admsyn, i've been just commiting the breaklines
18:06 dantheman so is it that the release doesn't compile?
18:06 arturo they merge cleanly since the changes are already in newer branches
18:06 kylemcd ok, continuing the agenda items…
18:06 kylemcd 3. Now working on AV Foundation instead of QTKit. Bugfixes for QTKit will be accepted but not milestoned.
18:06 bilderbuchi wait
18:06 bilderbuchi pls
18:06 kylemcd oh sorry
18:06 kylemcd go ahead
18:06 arturo jvcleave, ok, i'll change that too, probably it can be automated to pick the version from the config file
18:07 bilderbuchi what happens to the issues regarding project generator and library updates, which weren't yet assigned, but aren't critical/...?
18:07 jvcleave sounds good :)
18:07 bilderbuchi I left a bunch of those in the 0.9 milestone, do we plan to include them=?
18:08 kylemcd bilderbuchi those stay included
18:08 bilderbuchi great, thanks, carry on
18:08 kylemcd we need people to assign themselves, and don’t release until they are fixed
18:09 kylemcd ok, carrying on :)
18:09 kylemcd 3. Now working on AV Foundation instead of QTKit. Bugfixes for QTKit will be accepted but not milestoned.
18:10 kylemcd i was reading through the state of OSX stuff and it seems clear over the last two years this is the direction to go, so i just decided to be bold and close some issues for quicktime and qtkit on osx
18:10 bilderbuchi +1 from me on that
18:10 admsyn +1
18:10 prisonerjohn I can PR the AVFoundation player today, cherry-picking as we speak
18:10 kylemcd that would be AWESOME
18:11 dantheman kylemcd: nice
18:11 kylemcd because we don’t maintain support for old releases (unlike ubuntu, or python, for example), i think it’s important for us to close old bugs that are made irrelevant by new features
18:11 bakercp-1 joined #openframeworks
18:12 kylemcd so unless we adopt a multiple-release-support model (or someone argues otherwise), i would encourage people to do similarly
18:12 dantheman it doesn't make sense
18:13 kylemcd hah hah
18:13 lmccart_ joined #openframeworks
18:13 kylemcd ok, next
18:13 kylemcd 4. Issues that need help (not for 0.9.0)
18:14 dantheman ok
18:14 kylemcd i just noticed there are some issues around ARM that have been inactive for a while
18:14 kylemcd https://github.com/openframewo​rks/openFrameworks/issues/2432
18:14 dantheman I've been taking to Ali about the ASSIMP stuff on the Pi
18:14 kylemcd https://github.com/openframewo​rks/openFrameworks/issues/2441
18:14 dantheman we just need to update to the latest and compile the lib
18:14 kylemcd if anyone is ARMing or knows someone who is, check these out when you get the chance
18:14 jvcleave dantheman I think it is more than that
18:15 arturo the first one is more of a general issue not so much ARM, as dan says we need to update to assimp 3
18:15 dantheman you think?
18:15 jvcleave I think assimp 3 is quite a bit different
18:15 arturo yes
18:15 arturo we need to update the library but also the addon
18:15 jvcleave nothing a total rewrite wont fix
18:15 dantheman well there is a good start I think of that
18:15 dantheman https://github.com/satoruhiga/ofxAssimp
18:16 kylemcd lol
18:16 kylemcd i haven’t seen that
18:16 dantheman satoruhiga has some gems
18:16 kylemcd <3 satoru
18:17 dantheman like give his nodejs wrapper a go
18:17 dantheman you can wrap any node in an OF app and launch it when you launch your app
18:17 bilderbuchi do we have an apothecary recipe for assimp already?
18:18 dantheman bilderbuchi: doesn't look like it
18:20 dantheman next?
18:20 kylemcd yes
18:20 kylemcd and last
18:20 kylemcd 5. ofSketch
18:20 jvcleave once 9.0 is out it will be a good time to revisit the missing ARM examples list - some of those were probably helped with recent fixes
18:21 dantheman jvcleave: word
18:21 admsyn (quick interrupt) can someone with OF core access create a branch off 0.8.3 I can PR the hotfix to?
18:21 bilderbuchi stable is not an option?
18:21 admsyn I guess it would be
18:21 admsyn thanks!
18:21 bilderbuchi stables should sit on 0.8.3
18:21 dantheman ofSketch I started playing with the latest release and its awesome
18:21 dantheman 0.3.2
18:22 bilderbuchi indeed it does. use stable, admsyn
18:22 bilderbuchi and fork off from it, too, otherwise you'll pull in all of master (sry if that's already clear to you)
18:22 kylemcd i tried ofSketch and had a great time too :)
18:23 bilderbuchi s/fork/branch
18:23 admsyn bilderbuchi: already done did it (https://github.com/openframewo​rks/openFrameworks/pull/3199)
18:23 dantheman kylemcd it had me a command+r to run
18:23 admsyn and yeah ofSketch is fun :)
18:23 dantheman I was talking with bakercp about getting android support working for it
18:23 dantheman it shouldn't be bad/hard
18:23 dantheman just have to make it run the same scripts eclipse does
18:24 kylemcd is it desktop only right now
18:24 kylemcd osx/win/lin?
18:24 dantheman arm/osx/win/lin
18:24 kylemcd nice
18:24 dantheman iOS maybe
18:24 kylemcd can you use addons with it?
18:24 dantheman I haven't tried
18:24 dantheman kylemcd: there is a button for adding them
18:24 dantheman like some serious thought went into it
18:25 dantheman and brannon did a good job
18:25 kylemcd crazy
18:25 dantheman I was gonna say on the list we should give him one of inst-int tickets
18:25 dantheman 'randomly'
18:26 kylemcd it’s still a pain that on osx you have to install xcode
18:26 bilderbuchi there's some seriously bad RNGs out there...
18:26 kylemcd lol
18:26 dantheman kylemcd: well you don't get a compiler unless you install xcode
18:26 dantheman right?
18:26 kylemcd was there something else about ofSketch or just that it’s awesome?
18:26 arturo can't you install the command line tools only? that was an option for makefiles not so long ago
18:26 dantheman just that a new release is out
18:26 bilderbuchi lol @ kyle
18:26 dantheman arturo: maybe you can
18:27 kylemcd https://github.com/olab-io/ofSketch#osx
18:27 dantheman been a while since I brought up a new machine
18:27 kylemcd right now it says you have to install xcode first
18:27 dantheman well that is the only way to get the  Xcode Command Line Tools unless you have a developer login
18:28 dantheman then find that package
18:28 admsyn can't you do that command line thing w/ xcode-select ?
18:28 admsyn actual question not sure :)
18:28 dantheman https://github.com/kennethreitz/osx-gcc-installer
18:28 kylemcd maybe, if it’s possible i bet they’d appreciate it in the readome ;)
18:28 kylemcd oh wow
18:28 dantheman I wonder if that works
18:29 kylemcd that looks fun. and ripe for weird adventures.
18:29 dantheman yeah i
18:29 kylemcd ok, any last thoughts from anyone?
18:29 dantheman compilers scare me
18:29 lmccart_ hi I've just been lurking. but I wanted to say we should try to make sure that brannons work and his participation in gsoc are publicly announced, and a shoutout for processing's support too. if we do want to make another go at gsoc next summer it will help to have the possibility of it happening floating in student and teachers minds...
18:30 dantheman ooo yeah
18:30 bilderbuchi kennethreitz is awesome (hero in the python world)
18:30 arturo http://osxdaily.com/2014/02/12/ins​tall-command-line-tools-mac-os-x/
18:30 admsyn > xcode-select --install
18:30 dantheman someone tweet about it from the OF account and get a blog post out?
18:30 admsyn is the command, not sure if you need xcode in the first place, admittedly
18:30 dantheman nice
18:31 bilderbuchi thanks for the concerted drive towards 0.9, everyone!
18:31 caitlin_ possibly in line with spreading the gsoc word -- around this time last year, we did the first OF community survey and had talked about making it an annual thing to see how the community changes over time
18:32 caitlin_ is there interest in seeing results from another round of survey like that again now?
18:32 kylemcd caitlin_ that would be excellent
18:32 admsyn +1
18:32 tgfrerer +1
18:32 kylemcd how can we help?
18:32 dantheman +1
18:33 caitlin_ ok cool, i'll get round 2 of that geared up again and let you know when to blast all the socials :)
18:33 kylemcd great :)
18:33 dantheman #PrimeTimeTweets
18:33 caitlin_ anyway was also thinking if we're doing that blast, we could include a note/link/contact for people interested in gsoc
18:34 kylemcd that’s smart, when does that process start up again?
18:34 lmccart_ january I believe
18:34 bilderbuchi about jan next year i think?
18:34 jvcleave If ofSketch is in a good place I am wondering if a tutorial on the ofSite would be a good place to intro (and publicize the GSOC stuff) - the project generator has something similar
18:35 kylemcd maybe we make a copy of the gsoc recruiting form and link to it from the survey, then send it out again when the date is closer
18:35 kylemcd we had a form that was pretty minimal just for people who were interested right?
18:36 kylemcd jvcleave absolutely
18:36 kylemcd i think right now it’s in this ofxaddons-y space where it’s an “official” sister project
18:36 kylemcd but doesn’t have proper links on the site yet
18:36 bilderbuchi I think gsoc efforts should start nearer to january, otherwise ppl will have forgotten about it by the time apllication comes around
18:37 jvcleave yeah - on the site it will live a bit longer than the shoutouts on twitter/forum/dev list
18:37 bilderbuchi Also, what we _could_ (or should) do, is create a better ideas list, so that students can pick what they want from a large pool of projects
18:37 kylemcd good point bilderbuchi, but maybe lmccart_ and caitlin_ can figure it out based on experience w survey and gsoc last year
18:38 caitlin_ yeah we could just have a field in the survey that says "do you want to be on our list when we start looking for gsoc people" or something similar
18:38 lmccart_ yeah... what I've found from working with processing on gsoc is a lot of the students are people the mentors already knew
18:38 admsyn got to go, bye all!
18:38 kylemcd admsyn see ya
18:39 lmccart_ but of course, yes, lets make it as accessible as possible to others we dont know about already
18:39 kylemcd caitlin_ that kind of checkbox sounds good, maybe we’ll find some people who are nearby mentors but don’t know about
18:39 lmccart_ i guess im just making the point we need a push from mentors/teachers to keep a look out and spread the word
18:39 kylemcd what lmccart_ said
18:40 caitlin_ yeah that sounds good, i'll check with you guys about how best to approach it while i'm putting the survey together and we can see what seems best
18:41 lmccart_ great
18:41 kylemcd cool, any final thoughts about anything at all?
18:41 kylemcd (preferably OF-related)
18:42 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome :) Site: http://openframeworks.cc/ Logs: http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/
18:43 kylemcd meeting adjourned
18:43 kylemcd thanks everyone!
18:43 prisonerjohn thanks, seeya
18:44 bilderbuchi thanks everyone!
18:53 bilderbuchi left #openframeworks
18:55 dantheman left #openframeworks
19:08 fuerstP joined #openframeworks
19:38 mhashmi joined #openframeworks
19:43 vade joined #openframeworks
20:16 mhashmi joined #openframeworks
20:43 tgfrerer joined #openframeworks
20:46 vade joined #openframeworks
21:25 DrCode joined #openframeworks
21:28 asper joined #openframeworks
21:47 Guest44642 joined #openframeworks
22:17 mhashmi joined #openframeworks
22:28 mhashmi joined #openframeworks
22:29 neue joined #openframeworks
22:43 dantheman joined #openframeworks
22:54 davidnunez joined #openframeworks
22:57 admsyn joined #openframeworks
22:59 kureta_m joined #openframeworks
23:32 dantheman joined #openframeworks

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary