Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2015-01-04

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:11 marcocanc joined #openframeworks
01:25 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
01:41 MyMind joined #openframeworks
03:04 rburkholder joined #openframeworks
03:35 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
03:41 ar_tama joined #openframeworks
03:42 ar_tama joined #openframeworks
04:34 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
04:45 DrCode joined #openframeworks
05:38 DrCode joined #openframeworks
05:58 GuidovanPossum joined #openframeworks
06:19 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
07:12 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
10:31 gene__ joined #openframeworks
11:32 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
11:59 rburkholder joined #openframeworks
12:08 gabrielstuff joined #openframeworks
12:35 barzi joined #openframeworks
12:52 debu joined #openframeworks
15:47 kikko_fr joined #openframeworks
16:59 barzi joined #openframeworks
17:15 andyinabox joined #openframeworks
17:21 dantheman joined #openframeworks
17:22 dantheman yo
17:22 dantheman how is everyone?
17:47 barzi joined #openframeworks
17:52 mattfelsen joined #openframeworks
17:54 Beliq joined #openframeworks
17:54 nongio joined #openframeworks
17:55 admsyn joined #openframeworks
17:56 dantheman admsyn:
17:56 dantheman yo yo yo
17:56 admsyn heyyyy
17:56 gene__ joined #openframeworks
17:58 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome :) Site: http://openframeworks.cc/ Logs: http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/ Jan 4 Notes: https://openframeworks.hackpad.com/IRC-Meetup-January-4-2015
17:59 nongio ciao
18:00 ofzach joined #openframeworks
18:02 admsyn hey ofzach
18:02 ofzach hey hey !
18:02 admsyn how's the CEF stuff going?
18:02 ofzach it’s good I feel much better about CEF now
18:02 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
18:03 dantheman CEF?
18:03 ofzach it’s embedded chromium
18:03 dantheman ahh
18:03 dantheman neat
18:03 dantheman Chromium Embedded Framework
18:03 dantheman there is a syphon browser that uses it
18:04 ofzach yep yep
18:04 dantheman https://github.com/vibber/CefWithSyphon
18:04 dantheman soooo neat
18:04 dantheman makes it easy to record google hangouts and what not
18:04 ofzach got it working well in OF now
18:04 nongio wow
18:04 admsyn aweseome
18:04 ofzach (there’s a good windows addon already)
18:05 dantheman ofzach: nice
18:05 dantheman win
18:05 ofzach even though we have all these guis I am trying to use dat-gui :)
18:05 dantheman https://github.com/ddiakopoulos/ofxCEFClient
18:05 dantheman that one?
18:06 admsyn use ofxUI via emscripten :)
18:06 kylemcd wow crazy i didn’t know ofxCEFClient
18:06 ofzach yeah that works for windows but mine is a bit more minimal, will look at merging
18:06 dantheman admsyn: build an emscripten app that runs CEF inside it to run the emscripten app
18:06 ofzach on osx, you have to do some serious kung fu
18:06 admsyn who needs ram anyway
18:07 kylemcd since we’ve already got ofzach should we get started?
18:07 dantheman admsyn: I was thinking app inception
18:07 ofzach http://imgur.com/eSBmsok
18:07 admsyn haha
18:07 nongio ahah
18:07 dantheman lol
18:08 dantheman kylemcd: sure?
18:08 dantheman is theo planning on coming?
18:08 kylemcd i don’t have any word on theo or arturo
18:08 ofzach (quickly about CEF, this is OF running mr doobs site: http://i.imgur.com/ENOBSm5.png and dat gui http://imgur.com/ENOBSm5,qMZQtcS#1 …. retina is nice)
18:08 nongio guys first of all happy new year!
18:08 dantheman ooooo
18:08 dantheman nice
18:09 kylemcd happy new year!
18:09 ofzach happy new years !!
18:09 admsyn !
18:09 dantheman !!!
18:09 kylemcd let’s start with the PG since that was already mentioned
18:10 kylemcd 1. project updates / a. project generator
18:10 nongio ok, but I have worked on it only few days
18:10 nongio (I’m relocating to Berlin this month...)
18:10 kylemcd what have you learned so far?
18:10 kylemcd oh nice!
18:10 nongio I worked a bit on making it compile on osx
18:11 nongio then I choosed this library for testing https://github.com/philsquared/Catch
18:11 nongio here an example of what a test will look like: https://github.com/nongio/pgGui/commit/9baab3bd2fb7e4e3e41a5ab743f04b383d156282
18:11 dantheman are you planning on moving testing into the PG
18:12 nongio what do you mean with move?
18:12 dantheman well instead of a stand-alone runner
18:12 dantheman its built into the PG
18:12 kylemcd_ joined #openframeworks
18:13 nongio the options are 2
18:13 nongio test the code with a c++ testing suite
18:13 nongio ore test the results with someting like a shell script
18:13 ofzach test which code?
18:13 ofzach (the PG code?)
18:13 nongio yes
18:15 kylemcd_ so is the idea that you’re developing tests for the PG so that we can make sure it works with lots of different project files, addons, and platforms?
18:15 ofzach cool — what are testing for ?
18:15 nongio last time we talked about doing it with… (looking hackpad)
18:15 dantheman I've been working out of this
18:15 dantheman https://github.com/danthemellowman/ofxGoogleTest
18:15 dantheman when I was sketching out tests
18:16 dantheman for unit-tests
18:16 debu joined #openframeworks
18:16 dantheman so like each ofClazz would have a unit test that got run
18:16 dantheman https://github.com/danthemellowman/ofxGoogleTest/blob/master/example/src/unitTests/3d/ofMeshTest.h
18:16 nongio the idea was to test everything with travis
18:17 dantheman when I was working on it a few weeks ago I had gotten working with buildbot and google test
18:17 dantheman err gotten everything working*
18:17 dantheman so my buildbot instance would check github then pull in the latest and run the unit test app
18:17 kylemcd i’m a little confused about whether we’re talking about testing OF or the project generator
18:17 nongio ofzach: we can test the overall algorithm
18:17 kylemcd dantheman i think you’re talking about testing OF
18:18 dantheman sorry I've been MIA for the past couple of months due to install schedules so I'm behind
18:18 kylemcd i think nongio is talking about testing the PG
18:18 dantheman yes @kylemcd
18:18 dantheman right
18:18 ofzach sure sounds good
18:18 dantheman should we use the same testing suite for both?
18:18 dantheman so we don't have to support multiple test frameworks etc etc
18:18 dantheman I mean I'm adaptable
18:19 kylemcd it’s good for us to reuse tools, but i don’t think it’s a requirement
18:19 nongio dantheman sound ok to me
18:19 nongio to do the testing I just need to work on refactoring the actual code that is all in the main.cpp file
18:19 dantheman I can switch this around to use whatever system we just have to write the unit tests which are tedious
18:19 dantheman and like do this
18:19 dantheman https://github.com/danthemellowman/ofxGoogleTest/blob/master/example/src/unitTests/3d/ofMeshTest.h#L19
18:19 dantheman or whatever
18:19 kylemcd cool let’s get to the general OF testing / buildbot later in the meeting though
18:19 dantheman ok
18:20 nongio unfortunately that’s all I have for the PG work
18:20 nongio do you think that a c++ testing is ok for this kind of project?
18:20 kylemcd i think we could use any kind of testing for this
18:21 dantheman yeah
18:21 dantheman picking one is the hard part
18:21 dantheman we just have to stick with it
18:21 kylemcd the goals are 1. make sure our PG works well, and 2. integrate it with the GUI
18:21 dantheman and get tests made that do everything
18:21 nongio I thinked about the script shell approach but can not be applied to windows
18:22 kylemcd nongio, since you’re taking on responsibility for testing then you should use whatever approach you think is best
18:22 ofzach there is a ton of code that could use testing in this project
18:22 dantheman ofzach: yup yup
18:22 ofzach all these functions, etc https://github.com/nongio/pgGui/blob/commandLinePG/src/utils/Utils.h
18:22 ofzach I also think there’s a fair amount of refactoring that would help
18:22 nongio thanks zach
18:22 dantheman ofzach: ++
18:22 dantheman yes
18:23 dantheman project restructure too?
18:23 ofzach I’d like to move all PG stuff to one place
18:23 ofzach chris baker did this already but I wasn’t sure about changes he made
18:24 kylemcd ofzach right now there’s pgGui and what else?
18:24 ofzach pg in the OF repo, pgSimple
18:24 ofzach what CB did is this, but I have some concerns about it:
18:24 ofzach https://github.com/bakercp/ofxPG
18:25 kylemcd would it be reasonable to move all those things into a single repo github.com/openframeworks/ProjectGenerator/ ?
18:25 kylemcd then slowly refactor and work there?
18:25 ofzach yes very much like what CB did, but without the style changes and not as an addon
18:25 kylemcd great let’s do that
18:25 ofzach (he’s got a funky include system that I didn’t totally understand https://github.com/bakercp/ofxPG/blob/master/libs/ofxPG/src/CBWinProject.cpp#L1)
18:25 ofzach but it’s great what he did, I’d like to get this as it’s own OF repo
18:26 dantheman ofzach: yeah he likes that style
18:26 dantheman namespaces FTW
18:26 ofzach :)
18:26 ofzach I can make the move this week
18:27 nongio I’m planning to restart to work on it from the 20th of Jan when the relocation is done
18:27 kylemcd great. then nongio & ofzach can coordinate this move, and nongio you can keep doing work in that new repo
18:27 nongio kylemcd ok
18:27 kylemcd nongio it looks like you’re not on an OF team right now
18:28 nongio actually not
18:28 kylemcd i’m going to invite you to the “openframeworks devs” team
18:28 nongio cool
18:28 kylemcd and we can make a “project generator” team soon
18:28 ofzach cool cool
18:29 dantheman nongio: haha enjoy the emails :P
18:29 Beliq joined #openframeworks
18:29 kylemcd nongio: there are a lot of emails from github activity, but you can disable them in your preferences
18:29 kylemcd then you will only get a notification if someone mentions you or your team directly
18:29 nongio yes I know, we use github at work…
18:30 kylemcd ah great :)
18:30 nongio I already fighted with github email
18:30 kylemcd ok moving on!
18:30 kylemcd heh
18:30 kylemcd 1. project updates / b. ofBook
18:30 kylemcd zach sent out a non-public but non-password-protected url the other day
18:31 kylemcd http://openframeworks.cc/ofBook/chapters/foreword.html
18:31 kylemcd (don’t post this to twitter or elsewhere)
18:31 ofzach —> please don’t tweet this link! <—
18:31 ofzach there’s some work still to be done on the design and editing front and a few staggling chapters
18:32 nongio it’s very nice! great job
18:32 kylemcd just wanted to give this at least 5 min if anyone had any thoughts
18:32 ofzach I think we can also use more project breakdowns
18:32 arthurc joined #openframeworks
18:32 ofzach eva’s is a really good reference http://openframeworks.cc/ofBook/chapters/project_eva.html
18:33 ofzach there’s a few chapters that are not done, but getting there — elliott’s chapters, golan’s chapter
18:34 admsyn I just got images so mine'll be done once I put them in place
18:34 ofzach great !
18:35 ofzach I think the book could use feedback from beginners
18:36 ofzach like, “what does a day 1 / week 1 / month 1 / year 1 person need to feel comfortable”
18:36 ofzach and are there things we can help with?
18:37 ofzach I also think there are outward links we can add to chapters that will be useful
18:37 kylemcd would this be a good moment to send this out to some former/current students maybe?
18:37 ofzach (like check out these links, tutorials, addons, forums posts, etc)
18:37 kylemcd if we’re looking for beginners
18:37 dantheman nice!
18:38 ofzach def.  I think with the caveat that they shouldn’t publicisize it —  I kind of want to give authors enough time to get their chapters done
18:38 dantheman this is really really nice
18:38 dantheman well done guys!
18:38 ofzach it’s helpful now that you can see it
18:38 dantheman and gals!
18:38 ofzach yeah it’s getting there!
18:39 kylemcd k i can send to some people with that caveat
18:39 kylemcd i’ll point them to the ofBook repo for feedback
18:40 ofzach great — I’ll open up some issues, todo list on web design, design, editing, etc
18:40 kylemcd cool. moving on
18:40 kylemcd workergnome isn’t here, i’ll ask him to fill us in on the list or hackpad when he can
18:40 kylemcd halfdanj couldn’t come, he’s rebuilding the documention
18:41 kylemcd there was a little issue recently where his commits and arturo’s were in conflict, but it got resolved and shouldn’t happen too often once everything is moved into doxygen
18:41 kylemcd his status is visible https://openframeworks.hackpad.com/ofDoc-Roadmap-zbzAYBMMwyG as before
18:42 kylemcd one question he wants feedback on is this:
18:42 kylemcd “I'm still considering if files that should be hidden from the frontpage (due to its internal character, like all the ofBase* files) either should be marked with a \ADVANCED_DOC  in the header file, or in an external json file.”
18:42 kylemcd what do you think?
18:43 admsyn the external json would be part of OF or the site?
18:43 nongio guys, im sorry but I have to go!! I’m going to read the transcript tomorrow…
18:43 kylemcd bye nongio! thanks for coming :)
18:43 nongio ofzach let’s keep in touch for repo moving
18:43 admsyn bye nongio
18:43 nongio bye
18:43 ofzach k def  ! ciao !
18:43 kylemcd admsyn i think that the json would probably be in the OF repo, but not in the source code per se
18:44 kylemcd we’re moving towards a model where ofSite is *only* static things that change rarely
18:44 admsyn ah I see
18:44 kylemcd and documentation is completely generated from the source
18:46 * admsyn doesn't really feel strongly either way
18:46 kylemcd similarly
18:46 kylemcd but, my intuition is that we shouldn’t be adding non-standard things to the source
18:46 admsyn I guess it depends how exceptional an advanced doc thing is
18:47 admsyn if it's like 75% of the source than it'd be reaaall noisy to keep spelling it out
18:47 kylemcd good point
18:47 kylemcd i think it’s not super common
18:47 kylemcd maybe 10-20%
18:48 kylemcd anyway, this is going to be something that happens after doxygen has already output a bunch of stuff
18:48 kylemcd my intuition is that if it’s not part of that workflow, it will be easier to maintain
18:48 kylemcd but we can always go from one to the other (json to in-header, or vice versa) so it’s not a big deal
18:48 admsyn yeah it might be easier to make a call once we actually see how it plays out
18:49 kylemcd yeah, i’ll encourage him to do whatever is easiest for now
18:49 kylemcd and we’ll just watch
18:49 kylemcd next!
18:49 kylemcd oh sorry he had one more comment: “Soon documentation changes on ofSite should be closed, since it will become harder and harder for me to maintain “
18:50 kylemcd so, not that anyone was planning on adding a ton of documentation, but maybe hold off for a bit :)
18:50 kylemcd next!
18:50 kylemcd 1. project updates / e. survey update
18:50 kylemcd caitlin isn’t here either but i sent her a note asking for an update
18:50 kylemcd i think we can send out one more note on twitter etc. asking people to fill it out
18:51 kylemcd then in a couple weeks compile the results into a post
18:51 admsyn wasn't there some talk last meeting about sync-ing ofBook release and also asking for survey filler-outers at the same time?
18:52 kylemcd there was, and the conclusion was to give the ofBook 2 months to release, and do the survey anyway if it didn’t happen
18:52 admsyn gotcha
18:52 kylemcd so we could put another timeline on this, and have one more survey push if the ofBook comes out in time
18:52 kylemcd that’s smart
18:53 ofzach we can also use the OF mailing list — it might be helpful for reaching wider than twitter
18:53 ofzach I think it’s also about 10000 people, but email is really good for reaching people esp people involved with OF for a long time
18:54 kylemcd that would be great
18:54 kylemcd do we have an estimate on the ofBook release?
18:54 ofzach let me check with a few of the authors, I think it could be done soon
18:55 ofzach (brb, I have to step out for a bit)
18:55 kylemcd ok i’m just going to write 1 month for tenatively
18:55 kylemcd last project:
18:55 kylemcd 1. project updates / f. dantheman: testing OF / buildbot
18:56 kylemcd what’s the status, and what are you planning in terms of goals and timeline?
18:57 dantheman now want to coordinate with nongio and use the same toolset
18:57 dantheman buildbot can work with just about anything
18:57 dantheman then its just a matter of making the buildbot script work on Windows and Linux
18:57 dantheman Linux*
18:58 dantheman let me push my buildbot
18:58 dantheman and instructions
18:58 dantheman but it was working and building the lib on OSX whenever I had it running
18:58 kylemcd cool, and remind us again — when it’s all done, we get something that can check whether OF is building on different platforms
18:58 kylemcd can it also check PRs?
18:58 dantheman yes
18:58 dantheman I need to configure it to check PRs
18:59 dantheman basically what it does now is use the Github API to poll the status of master
18:59 dantheman pulls down any new commits, builds them, and gives you a waterfall output of what doesn't build and what does build
18:59 kylemcd nice. maybe the first step is to get the whole pipeline working — i.e., have it running on PRs but for OS X only
18:59 dantheman once it is deployed to a machine it can report everything via a webby interface
19:00 kylemcd then the next step is to add more tests and platforms?
19:00 dantheman yes
19:00 dantheman I'll look into the PR steps today
19:00 kylemcd so what would the timeline be like for getting it to the point where it can do some basic tests on PRs for OS X only?
19:00 dantheman a couple weeks prolly
19:00 dantheman before I head down to CMU end of the January I should have something
19:01 dantheman i have a lot of time on my hands right now
19:01 kylemcd great so at the next meeting we’ll do a recap of where it’s at, and we can get everyone up to date on it
19:01 kylemcd i think once people can see it all in place it will be easier to add platforms and build tests
19:02 dantheman I'm pushing the buildbot folder to github now
19:02 kylemcd sweet
19:02 dantheman yup
19:02 dantheman yeah once we have a generalized format for unit tests it is just a matter of writing them
19:02 dantheman haha
19:03 ofzach :)
19:03 dantheman like this is a test for ofVec3f
19:03 dantheman https://github.com/danthemellowman/ofxGoogleTest/blob/master/example/src/unitTests/math/ofVec3fTest.h
19:04 dantheman build a success case, build a failure case
19:04 kylemcd_ joined #openframeworks
19:04 kylemcd_ and do you want any help / would you be interested in guiding anyone else through this? or would you rather DIY?
19:05 kylemcd_ (sorry cafe wifi)
19:05 dantheman help would be awesome
19:05 dantheman I was talking with Chris Baker about it a bit ago
19:05 dantheman he offered some guidance
19:05 dantheman but yeah help is always useful
19:06 kylemcd_ best thing to do might be emailing the list asking for someone, and if you don’t get anything let me know and i’ll think of someone nerdy enough to be interested in this ;)
19:06 dantheman haha
19:06 dantheman yeah its super nerdy and tedious
19:06 kylemcd moving on...
19:06 kylemcd 2. any thoughts on "teams" / "projects"
19:06 admsyn 👍 on it
19:07 kylemcd obviously how it plays out is just going to take time to figure out, but the fact that almost no one responded makes me think we’re going the right direction
19:07 andyinabox joined #openframeworks
19:07 ofzach +1 to the teams — feel good
19:08 kylemcd great. ping me directly or on of-dev if you have any other thoughts :) i’m going to merge the change to ofSite now and try to revise some docs on the wiki to match this language.
19:09 kylemcd alright! last topic, the big one
19:09 kylemcd 3. 0.9.0
19:09 kylemcd the overview is basically: we keep making progress on things like apothecary, and multiwindow was (unexpectedly) added to 0.9.0
19:10 kylemcd but we’re not making a ton of progress on the issues we need to be closing to make a release
19:10 kylemcd i just wanted to hear what people were thinking and feeling about this
19:11 jvcleave I’m looking for the .9 features/milestones
19:12 admsyn just taking a quick scan of the issues, but it looks like windows apothecary things might be one of the bigger hangups right now?
19:12 kylemcd https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/milestones/0.9.0
19:12 kylemcd yes i see there being a few kinds of holdups:
19:12 kylemcd 1. apothecary
19:13 kylemcd 2. multiwindow is very welcome, but also introduced a few bugs
19:13 jvcleave c++11 and 64bit are the big ones
19:13 kylemcd 3. 12 issues still have no one assigned
19:13 admsyn 11 <_< >_>
19:13 kylemcd jvcleave yes and i think c++11 and 64bit are heavily dependent on apothecary
19:14 * kylemcd high fives admsyn
19:15 jvcleave I think this could probably be closed - not sure if relevant anymore https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/2134
19:15 admsyn yeah just looking through the apothecary things, it's a bit confusing at this point what even needs to be done / who's doing things / etc
19:15 kylemcd hah wow, good catch jvcleave
19:16 ofzach 10
19:16 kylemcd just closed that. bakercp will reopen if relevant
19:16 * kylemcd hi5 ofzach
19:18 kylemcd right now a 0.9.0 RC is scheduled for one week from now
19:18 kylemcd i think the best thing might be to remove the deadline and check again where we are in a month
19:19 dantheman yes
19:20 dantheman considering I can't build Android right now
19:20 dantheman :D
19:20 admsyn +1
19:20 kylemcd alright. just want to make sure we’re on the same page hah hah
19:20 admsyn I think one constraining factor is the iOS changes that are happening in like february?
19:21 admsyn I admit I do very little OF-on-iOS but it seems important
19:21 jvcleave maybe try and get an OF .9 weekend jam going?
19:21 admsyn +1 to jam
19:21 jvcleave just to get to a testing state
19:21 dantheman +1 to jam
19:21 dantheman jvcleave: yup
19:21 kylemcd weekend jam it is
19:21 kylemcd i’ll send a note to of-dev
19:22 dantheman kylemcd: we should see if we can't do an NYC one at new inc
19:22 dantheman they have killer coffee makers
19:23 kylemcd dantheman that would be great, do you think you could organize that?
19:23 dantheman yeah I can
19:23 dantheman let me talk to Julia
19:24 kylemcd awesome. let’s say the 10th & 11th
19:24 kylemcd two things that were 0.9.0 specific:
19:24 kylemcd c. OS X 10.6 and 10.7 Support #3506 / #3507
19:24 kylemcd https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/3506
19:24 kylemcd https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/3507
19:24 kylemcd i think bakercp added these to the agenda
19:25 kylemcd but just wanted to draw peoples attention to these two issues
19:26 kylemcd and i’m not sure who added this one:
19:26 kylemcd d. New C-style API vs static member functions
19:26 admsyn that was me, just a quick thing
19:26 admsyn brought up here for sound, but kind of a general thing : https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/pull/3247
19:27 admsyn 1) if we're adding new stuff, do we intentionally not make new ofFooDoThing() functions, and do static member stuff instead
19:27 admsyn 2) should we deprecate the C-style things that are already there
19:28 kylemcd i think we’re trying not to add any new ofFooDoThing() functions anymore
19:28 kylemcd regarding 2 what’s an example of something that would be deprecated?
19:28 admsyn at the moment, the PR kind of does this awkward thing where it does both and the ofFooDoThing() function defers to the ofFoo::doThing() function
19:29 admsyn e.g. ofSoundStreamListDevices
19:29 admsyn ofSoundStreamAnything
19:29 admsyn ofSoundStreamSetup etc
19:29 kylemcd aha
19:29 kylemcd i think wrt ofSoundStreamThing()
19:29 kylemcd those should all be deprecated but we should wait a long time to remove them
19:30 dantheman yeah
19:30 dantheman I mean
19:30 dantheman getTextureRef
19:30 kylemcd it would be good to get thoughts from ofzach on this
19:30 dantheman is not getData
19:30 dantheman now*
19:30 admsyn cool, so the reason I put in the agenda is: do we deprecate them "properly" in 0.9.0
19:30 dantheman right same with Pixels etc etc
19:30 admsyn to which I think: yeah
19:31 ofzach sorry what’s the q?  ( I am watching river so I’m in and out…)
19:31 kylemcd no worries, question is: should we deprecate ofSoundStreamSetup() in favor of creating a sound stream object and calling setup()
19:31 ofzach oh sure sounds fine
19:31 kylemcd great
19:31 admsyn or even just a static ofSoundStream::setup()
19:31 kylemcd oh i see
19:31 admsyn since it's basically the same thing but not as .. globally
19:32 kylemcd i forgot about the static case
19:32 ofzach theo will be so happy
19:32 admsyn haha
19:32 ofzach he loves that stuff
19:32 kylemcd yeah i think that’s the answer admsyn, basically let’s just not add anything ofFooDoThing() that could be ofFoo::doThing() or ofFoo.doThing()
19:32 kylemcd and the old ofFooDoThings() should be deprecated
19:33 admsyn cool :)
19:33 kylemcd and the very last and most important topic
19:34 kylemcd 4. Who will get commit #10,000?
19:34 kylemcd :)
19:34 kylemcd we’re only 17 commits away!
19:34 admsyn :D
19:34 jvcleave C10k
19:35 jvcleave hopefully there is no git 10k bug
19:35 kylemcd lol
19:36 kylemcd alright, that’s it folks
19:36 kylemcd thanks everyone for coming
19:36 kylemcd i’ll send notes to of-dev
19:36 admsyn woop
19:37 ofzach ciao !!!!
19:37 admsyn dantheman: you're in CMU for julian's workshop, right?
19:37 dantheman yup yup
19:38 admsyn when is that / is it public or public-ish?
19:38 admsyn I was looking around but I couldn't find dates
19:39 dantheman its the last weekend
19:39 dantheman of Jan
19:39 dantheman Golan Tweeted it
19:39 admsyn cool, and yeah n/m I just looked it up now and found it :)
19:39 dantheman should be fun
19:39 dantheman I get in Friday and leave Monday
19:40 admsyn yeah attended a workshop of his in like 2010 or so and it was great
19:40 dantheman gonna bring all my radioz
19:40 admsyn nice
19:40 dantheman what a B210, my B100, and my bladeRF
19:40 dantheman so there will be plenty of SDRz
19:40 kylemcd you’re all going to get cancer
19:40 admsyn :)
19:41 dantheman haha
19:41 dantheman soooo many radio waves
19:41 dantheman so is this the afterparty
19:43 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
19:43 admsyn yup
19:43 kylemcd see y’all next weekend
19:50 ofzach left #openframeworks
20:13 admsyn joined #openframeworks
21:07 reqshark joined #openframeworks
21:16 dantheman joined #openframeworks
21:26 reed joined #openframeworks
21:29 sebllll_ joined #openframeworks
21:32 doodleme joined #openframeworks
21:32 doodleme hi
21:32 admsyn hi doodleme
21:34 doodleme i have a problem with some setup with OF,  im new to C++ and i got OF on my RPI installed and compiled, all works well , but now i need to add mysql funktion,  and there i get stuck ,
21:36 admsyn what problems are you running into?
21:36 doodleme i try to figure out  how to get this statement in the make file so it can compile correct. `mysql_config --libs --cflags`
21:37 doodleme since the make file from OF in RPI links to the config.makefile, and in there i have no clou how and where to put it
21:39 doodleme i use codeblocks as ide , or does it has to go somewhere the, but i think not since it first jumps to the make file and from there to the config.makefile
21:40 admsyn I'm not quite sure, but what is it that your mysql_config statement does?
21:40 dantheman joined #openframeworks
21:40 admsyn that sounds like it's compiling mysql as part of your app, but you should be able to do it sperately?
21:41 doodleme The libmysqlclient-dev package includes a tool called "mysql-config" which will return the libraries and compilation flags needed to compile a project that includes the mysql headers. The accent-mark symbol (same key as the tilde) around the command in the makefile tells the compiler to run that command. When it does, the config tool returns the correct flags and everything compiles nicely! So that takes care of the setup
21:42 admsyn huh, alright then
21:42 admsyn maybe @jvcleave would know
21:44 admsyn There's a makefile set up for your app specifically though, right?
21:44 admsyn I haven't done OF-on-rPI in a bit
21:44 dantheman joined #openframeworks
21:45 admsyn @dantheman might know as well actually (what makefile do you edit to change linker flags for an rPI app)
21:45 dantheman whats that
21:45 dantheman its in the config.make
21:45 dantheman I think
21:45 admsyn @doodleme is trying to add some cflags, basically
21:45 admsyn autogenerated by mysql_config
21:46 dantheman its in config.make
21:46 dantheman https://github.com/danthemellowman/ofxOSCSync/blob/master/multiscreen-example/config.make
21:47 dantheman PROJECT_CFLAGS
21:49 doodleme yes i tried that  like this  : PROJECT_CFLAGS = `mysql_config --libs --cflags` but it would pop a compile error
21:49 admsyn what's the error, doodleme? put it on pastebin if it's a huge error
21:51 doodleme mhh will do as soon the reinstall is done, since i started the RPI from scratch and install OF at the moment
21:51 dantheman hmm
21:51 dantheman did you uncomment it?
21:52 doodleme no
21:53 dantheman are you using an addon?
21:53 doodleme no i dont
21:56 doodleme thats the tutorial im using, http://www.andrewdcox.com/blog/2013/05/26/mysql-interactions-with-c-php-and-ajax-on-raspberry-pi-server/
21:57 admsyn doodleme: you might just need to uncomment the PROJECT_CFLAGS line, then (delete the '#' at the start of that line)
21:57 doodleme i will try
22:03 dantheman joined #openframeworks
22:28 dantheman joined #openframeworks
22:40 reqshark joined #openframeworks
22:46 reqshark joined #openframeworks
22:54 admsyn joined #openframeworks
23:17 dantheman joined #openframeworks
23:24 dantheman joined #openframeworks
23:39 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary