Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #openframeworks, 2015-03-08

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:16 alski To draw an oscillating line (or some helical shape) in 3d space, would I be just plotting dense lines in a mesh and connecting them as a line? Or is there a more elegant solution?
01:15 Mosq joined #openframeworks
01:16 alski joined #openframeworks
01:17 vade joined #openframeworks
01:27 vade joined #openframeworks
03:14 alski joined #openframeworks
03:19 vade joined #openframeworks
03:28 alski joined #openframeworks
04:23 vade joined #openframeworks
04:29 alski joined #openframeworks
05:53 marcocanc joined #openframeworks
06:12 vade joined #openframeworks
08:25 marcocanc joined #openframeworks
08:59 marcocanc joined #openframeworks
10:28 krgn the trick was that OF expects a default vert shader which I diddn't have
10:35 tater joined #openframeworks
11:31 argali joined #openframeworks
11:48 sebllll_ joined #openframeworks
13:02 vade joined #openframeworks
15:04 Regi joined #openframeworks
16:25 reqshark_ joined #openframeworks
16:55 admsyn joined #openframeworks
16:56 i_n_g_o_ joined #openframeworks
16:57 Topic for #openframeworks is now Welcome :) Site: http://openframeworks.cc/ Logs: http://irclog.perlgeek.de/openframeworks/ Agenda: https://openframeworks.hackpa​d.com/IRC-Meetup-March-8-2015
16:58 ofzach joined #openframeworks
17:00 kylemcd joined #openframeworks
17:00 nongio joined #openframeworks
17:01 kylemcd hi everyone :)
17:01 nongio is it now?
17:01 nongio hi!
17:01 kylemcd it is now!
17:01 admsyn hi all
17:01 i_n_g_o_ hello everybody
17:01 ofzach hello !
17:01 nongio hi ingo!
17:01 i_n_g_o_ hi
17:01 nongio (ingo i’m RIccardo)
17:02 kylemcd ofzach are you here?
17:02 ofzach I’m here!
17:02 i_n_g_o_ hi riccardo :)
17:02 kylemcd great! let’s get started then
17:02 nongio ok
17:02 kylemcd the link is in the topic, but in case you can’t see it: https://openframeworks.hackpa​d.com/IRC-Meetup-March-8-2015
17:03 kylemcd ofzach i know you’ve been more focused on ofBook recently
17:03 kylemcd so let’s start with that
17:03 kylemcd quick update?
17:03 ofzach I haven’t been focused on anything lately !
17:03 nongio about the pg I hadn’t found the time work on it… new job, finding a flat I’m a bit crazy these days
17:03 ofzach ofbook is super close
17:03 ofzach the final list of issues is up
17:04 ofzach we’ve gotten good feedback on the forum
17:04 ofzach some chapter authors are quite slow and I don’t know exactly what to do about it — there’s a few outstanding half-done chapters
17:04 admsyn is the final list of issues the issue list on github?
17:04 ofzach yes - that’s the final list
17:04 kylemcd https://github.com/openfra​meworks/ofBook/issues/108
17:04 ofzach in particular, golan and elliot’s chapters are kind of not done
17:05 ofzach tega’s also needs some love
17:05 ofzach it’s a little bit tough, because I know they want to get them done but it’s hard when others have really finished
17:05 ofzach I sort of hoped that making the book public (via no password) then putting it on the forum would help
17:06 kylemcd is it worth it to pick a hard deadline for release at this point?
17:06 ofzach it might be that we need a second wave of people to help with hammering out the remaining issues
17:06 ofzach yes a hard deadline sounds good
17:07 ofzach I don’t have alot of credability on that front however because alot of deadlines came and went — do you want to jump in on that front ?
17:07 ofzach I think it just needs a final push really
17:07 kylemcd is rachel still involved? it seems like a good thing for her to announce
17:07 ofzach yeah let me ping her
17:08 ofzach she’s really swamped with the school she is running
17:08 ofzach but let me check with her — I think someone else to do the prodding of people is good
17:08 kylemcd ok cool
17:09 dantheman joined #openframeworks
17:09 nongio who is in charge for the html, css, javascript issues?
17:10 ofzach halfdanj put work there — but no one is in charge
17:10 ofzach ishaac and andy helped with design
17:10 ofzach and we had a good day hacking on the design
17:11 ofzach maybe doing a distributed day for the book is good where we can all be online and hammer through issues
17:11 nongio good idea
17:11 ofzach I think it’s more fun that way too — I remember when halfdanj ishaac and I worked on it there was alot of progress in one day
17:12 admsyn +1 to dedicated days in general :)
17:12 ofzach I’m happy to plan that next weekend or the weekend after
17:12 nongio I’m in for an hackday on ofbook
17:12 ofzach +1 also, it’s good and it’s better to have things on the calendar
17:12 ofzach great !
17:12 nongio I can help for the web part
17:13 ofzach wonderful
17:13 kylemcd ok great
17:13 kylemcd next topic: ofzach, nongio: project generator
17:13 kylemcd anything else to add zach?
17:14 ofzach not much movement on that front — here’s a quick update but I kind of need some advice
17:14 ofzach one of the biggest problems with the PG is it living in different locations
17:15 ofzach I’ve moved it here for now:
17:15 ofzach https://github.com/openframeworks/projectGenerator
17:15 ofzach at the moment, there is only the command line version but the idea was to put in both versions as chris baker did
17:15 marcocanc joined #openframeworks
17:15 ofzach the command line version works, but one thing I’ve been struggling with is how to make a proper command line tool on osx
17:16 nongio what do you mean?
17:16 admsyn how so?
17:16 ofzach because it’s compiled w/ OF, it’s a .app package, and the binary gets all these unecssary thigns like links to fmod
17:16 ofzach the PG project is an OF project
17:16 nongio yes that’s true… it took to me a lot to make it compiles..
17:16 ofzach because it uses a small amount of OF code (which likely could be swapped for straight poco)
17:16 admsyn oh I see, I'd be up for taking a look at that if you want to assign an issue to me on that repo?
17:17 nongio we should have the ofLib as a separate lib
17:17 ofzach I’m insterested in discussing removing OF dependancy, ie just make it dependent on poco and pugixml
17:17 ofzach or, alternatively, making it compile to a non .app, etc
17:18 admsyn yeah, this is debatable but IMO there might actually be less work to just make a simple-ish cpp command line thing, and seperate "apps" for each platform
17:18 ofzach it totally works via command line, but it feels awkward at the moment to have so many dlls and dylibs attached
17:18 admsyn where app = whatever the native for the platform is
17:18 ofzach I agree, but there’s some work to be done.  also, I think 90% of the xml stuff can be done with poco…  pugixml is awesome but there’s also a chance to simplfiy things
17:18 kylemcd is it possible to keep moving forward with it in its current state, and then work towards removing cruft once it works from end to end?
17:19 nongio yes
17:19 ofzach I’ll make a few issues, I will try to bring in the older projects now to this repo but outline in issues what I think needs love
17:20 nongio ok good I’ll take a look to the issues
17:20 kylemcd great
17:20 nongio and restart working on it
17:20 kylemcd so, pg discussion moves to github :)
17:20 nongio :)
17:20 ofzach yep sounds good
17:20 kylemcd next: one more from ofzach: GSoC
17:21 ofzach I don’t have an update from google as to reasons but we were denied again for GSOC
17:21 ofzach supposedly the number of groups dropped a fair amount this year, and threre were some big names who also didn’t get chosen
17:21 kylemcd interesting
17:21 ofzach I was under the impression that with our good experience with p5 last year we were in good shape
17:22 kylemcd likewise
17:22 kylemcd last year i sat in an IRC channel for a while to find out why we didn’t get chosen, but i saw on their site they said if you want to know more email them
17:22 ofzach I wasn’t able to make the IRC chat for feedback, but I emailed carol and hoping to hear back
17:22 kylemcd ah great
17:22 admsyn there's a fair amount of discussion on this an HN article I think actually, RE there being way less groups chosen
17:22 ofzach likewise schiffman suggested p5 will try to help again
17:22 ofzach (if they get enough slots, etc)
17:23 admsyn https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9137168
17:23 kylemcd wow, even mozilla didn’t get it
17:23 admsyn yeah
17:23 kylemcd but i guess that’s a different kind of issue
17:23 nongio what’s about our gsoc project?
17:23 ofzach I think one thing we can do is apply early and get enough people into the system — I think we don’t look like a very big network via their web tool
17:24 ofzach this year, chris and I were registered, but I have this feeling like we need a good half dozen or dozen prople registered as mentors
17:24 mattfelsen joined #openframeworks
17:25 ofzach I have no proof of that, it’s just the one thing that felt lacking in our application — also maybe the ideas need a bit more sprucing up?
17:25 ofzach it might be good to have p5 and some other accepted groups review our page (https://github.com/openframeworks/o​penFrameworks/wiki/GSOC-2015-Ideas) for feedback
17:26 ofzach and maybe working in a process next time where we get feedback from peers earlier and work that into our proposal
17:27 ofzach many of the project ideas are pulled from the roadmap, but they could probably use more fleshing out and having a point person responsible for each one would be good next time
17:27 kylemcd good point
17:27 ofzach anyway, that’s about all I know — I was bummed but daniel seemed eager to help if they can
17:27 kylemcd i’ll ask lauren if she can give any tips about what may or may not have worked from our page
17:27 kylemcd and also looking forward to feedback from carol
17:28 kylemcd next: workergnome: multilingual site // not present, skipping for now
17:28 ofzach yeah I think we should work on this earlier, maybe even start it around new years so we have more time for it.
17:28 kylemcd next: halfdanj: documentation // not present, skipping for now
17:29 kylemcd hmm next: dantheman: testing OF / buildbot // also not present
17:29 kylemcd looks like this is going to be a short meeting
17:30 kylemcd ok so we’re on: 0.9.0 progress!
17:30 kylemcd i read all the github activity to try and keep track of everything, but i find the best three pages for getting a feeling of where we are is still:
17:30 kylemcd open PRs https://github.com/openframeworks/openFramewor​ks/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3A0.9.0+is%3Apr
17:31 kylemcd open issues https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks​/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3A0.9.0+is%3Aissue
17:31 kylemcd and unassigned issues https://github.com/openframeworks/ope​nFrameworks/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milest​one%3A0.9.0+no%3Aassignee+is%3Aissue
17:31 kylemcd i feel like we had a good little burst late january / early february, but we’ve lost some steam again at the moment
17:32 kylemcd i think it’s mostly people busy with work, and in the middle of the semester
17:32 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
17:32 kylemcd hey pizthewiz!
17:32 kylemcd we’ve had a few people working on apothecary very consistently but i think we might need one or maybe two more people to get into it
17:34 kylemcd but i’m just curious in general if anyone has ideas for how we can approach 0.9.0 through march to try and stay on our mid-may release timeline
17:35 admsyn so from a quick scan of the links you posted, it's basically "wrap up apothecary" + a few random bugs?
17:35 admsyn I've been kind of out of the loop for ~a month
17:35 admsyn and apothecary is mostly stalled on windows things?
17:36 kylemcd that’s basically it
17:36 kylemcd i’ve reached out to local projects, who was interested in windows contributions
17:36 ofzach we need a batphone to microsoft
17:36 kylemcd lol
17:36 * mattfelsen hides
17:36 admsyn ha
17:36 kylemcd hah hah
17:36 nongio removing apothecary windows support is an option?
17:37 kylemcd mattfelsen actually got in contact with me to ask if there was follow up, so +1 to him
17:37 nongio for 0.9.0
17:37 kylemcd hah hah nongio i love that!
17:37 nongio just for 0.9.0
17:37 nongio :)
17:37 kylemcd it might be an option, i’m not sure
17:37 ofzach I have some windows work coming up these days — I’ll try to take a look
17:37 admsyn I gather the issue is that windows is kind of its own little universe wrt build tools and stuff?
17:37 mattfelsen I brought it up in our dev meeting the week it came up in of-partners, and the response was sort of frustrating
17:37 mattfelsen Mostly along the lines of we don't have any windows dev work at the moment, so it's not a priority
17:38 admsyn I really do want to contribute to apothecary but every time I try and make sense of what to do my eyes glaze over w/ all the tracking issues :)
17:38 kylemcd mattfelsen, that makes sense — but i think with of-partners we also want to find some regular contributions even when it’s not the main priority for a studio
17:38 ofzach it might be helpful if we can do more to help with onboarding
17:38 kylemcd admsyn, i’ve had that too
17:39 mattfelsen @kylemcd agreed 100%
17:40 mattfelsen I wasn't on the call that LP had about of-partners so I feel out of the loop about what was discussed in terms of areas of contribution + time to contribute
17:40 kylemcd mattfelsen yeah we didn’t come to a conclusion about time contributions precisely
17:40 pizthewiz 0.9.0 doesn't incorporate Apothecary into the build process directly right? We just use Apothecary to build binary libs that are included in the repo?
17:40 kylemcd pizthewiz that is correct
17:41 kylemcd i like this idea a lot, i think we need to ping the list about it
17:41 pizthewiz So theoretically, someone could do Windows binaries and it wouldn't be a huge imposition
17:41 mattfelsen When it was discussed at the meeting I was it, it seemed like there was a disconnect between what I understood of of-partners (from discussion here + mailing list) and what others thought of it
17:42 ofzach a binary is a binary
17:42 nongio what about using homebrew approach and ship some libraries already builded
17:42 mattfelsen I'll bring it up again this week and see if everyone can get on the same page again
17:42 nongio like making a formula that just download a binary
17:42 nongio I mean for the windows issues
17:42 kylemcd mattfelsen it’s all still being sussed out but yes please bring it up again and hoepfully we can approach some consistency in our ideas of what it can be :)
17:42 pizthewiz Yeah, that's what I was thinking - worst case someone does the binaries and we pick up all the prim and proper Apothecary stuff in a dot update?
17:43 pizthewiz (for Windows that is)
17:43 nongio then when the issues are fixed replace the forumula with the real one
17:43 kylemcd nongio making formulas that just download as placeholders is brilliant!
17:43 nongio :)
17:43 admsyn RE that, has there been discussion as to where binaries are going to go? As opposed to adding them to the repo that is
17:43 kylemcd that would mean we can transition to apothecary 100% in our workflow, and then bring automation to things as soon as possible
17:44 ofzach +1
17:44 admsyn ok so people on github build binaries via apothecary, gotcha
17:44 kylemcd admsyn i think the answer will be to set up a new rackspace server dedicated to serving binaries
17:44 admsyn orly
17:44 kylemcd but i’m not positive, ideally the machine serving the binaries can also build them
17:46 kylemcd ok i think maybe we don’t have the right people to decide this completely in this chat — so i’ll write to the dev list to say there’s support for this direction, and ask for help
17:46 kylemcd speaking of presence, i’ve started taking notes about who is active in meetings, for historical purposes :)
17:47 kylemcd so if you scroll to the bottom of this page https://openframeworks.hackpad.com/IRC-Meet​up-January-4-2015#IRC-Meetup-January-4-2015 you can see who was there
17:47 nongio ok here an homebrew formula example with what they call “bottle” a prebuilt binary: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/maste​r/Library/Contributions/example-formula.rb#L90
17:47 ofzach @nongio nice reference
17:47 kylemcd great reference nongio, thank you
17:49 nongio ok so we are done!
17:49 nongio ?
17:49 admsyn :)
17:50 kylemcd i think so
17:50 kylemcd this might be the first time in history we’ve had a sub-60 minute meeting
17:50 kylemcd there’s more to figure out with 0.9.0 but let’s start with the windows & apothecary issues we brought up here
17:50 mattfelsen Re: apothcary / windows / Microsoft –– was there any further discussion off-list on that front?
17:50 kylemcd and we’ll regroup next month
17:51 kylemcd mattfelsen — not so far
17:51 admsyn are there any other blockers for 0.9.0 though?
17:51 admsyn fwiw I'm getting a lot of weirdness w/ the new multiwindow stuff
17:51 admsyn I don't know if that's just me
17:51 kylemcd i’ve been getting weird stuff too admsyn
17:51 kylemcd on osx?
17:52 admsyn where the ownership of events / main loop / window has implicitly changed and crashes on launch because the constructor for something assumes something else exists
17:52 admsyn yeah
17:52 admsyn I opened an issue about it and arturo fixed it but I run into other things
17:53 admsyn it's just a little worrying in that it's kind of difficult to figure out, and I feel like only arturo knows what *should* happen
17:53 kylemcd ah wow i haven’t gotten that one
17:53 admsyn but maybe that's just 1 thing
17:53 kylemcd hmm
17:53 kylemcd yeah i would say keep trying to create reproducible things
17:53 admsyn i've got it with a handful of addons that call ofSomethingSomething in the constructor that hits an event, and ofEvents doesn't exist
17:53 admsyn yeah don't mind just thinking aloud :)
17:53 kylemcd the multiwindow is a huge change and it’s good to find bugs before we release it
17:54 admsyn I was just running into stuff consistently over the last week and was having a bit of an "oh no what is going on" moment
17:54 admsyn ok, n/m I'll keep track of it and bring it to github nbd :)
17:54 nongio @ofzach I’m following the projectGenerator repo on github. I’ll wait for issues to continue the discussion on github
17:54 nongio I have to go!! thanks all
17:54 ofzach ciao !!
17:54 nongio remember to celebrate womens today!!
17:55 kylemcd :)
17:56 kylemcd bye everyone!
17:56 ofzach ciao !!
17:56 ofzach left #openframeworks
17:56 admsyn bye!
17:57 i_n_g_o_ bye.
17:57 kylemcd left #openframeworks
17:57 i_n_g_o_ left #openframeworks
18:10 alski joined #openframeworks
18:11 alski Does anyone know of any examples out there that handle drawing sine waves, square waves, or triangle waves in 3D space?
18:11 alski Particularly sine waves, I figure the rest would make a little more sense once the most common is figured out.
18:13 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
18:19 admsyn alski: drawn how? like a mesh or in 2d?
18:19 alski I know how to draw a sine wave in 2d space, but I don't know how to apply that to ofVec3f and controlling things like the angle around the x axis.
18:19 alski With a mesh.
18:20 admsyn are you looking to produce a specific effect? "angle around the x axis" is a little vague
18:21 admsyn but a pretty typical way of doing it would be to displace vertices on a plane
18:21 alski I want to draw a sine wave between two points. I'm not wanting it to be helical, but I just want to be able to have it tilted at different angles.
18:22 alski yeah, using setVertex and using the second argument as the modulation?
18:22 admsyn ok, so what you could is create it as an unrotated mesh and then transform it in to place when drawing
18:23 admsyn are you familiar with using matrices to do transform / rotate / scale etc?
18:23 alski ! Right, that makes total sense. Push matrix before drawing the mesh, rotate, then pop it.
18:23 admsyn yeah
18:24 admsyn although if you're taking two arbitrary points in space and doing a sine wave between them that might get weird
18:24 admsyn maybe a better way would be to just draw a line between the two points with a bunch of vertices, then displace those according to a sine wave
18:24 admsyn basically what I'm getting at is there's a few ways depending on exactly what it is you're doing :)
18:25 alski What I'm doing to draw the line between the two is V1 + delta(V2-V1), which works well to draw that line. I guess I never really have to handle that once it's drawn, because then it's just displacing it along the z axis.
18:26 admsyn you could use ofLerp to give you a bunch of points along said line, instead of just a line
18:27 alski Well my line is a line strip of about 100 points, is that about the same (never looked into ofLerp but definitely will now)
18:27 admsyn yeah that's what you'd want
18:28 alski Perfect. Thanks as always admsyn!
18:29 dantheman joined #openframeworks
18:29 admsyn np, good luck
18:31 i_n_g_o_ joined #openframeworks
18:54 lindseymysse joined #openframeworks
19:00 marcocanc joined #openframeworks
19:00 lindseymysse exit
19:00 lindseymysse left #openframeworks
19:31 i_n_g_o_ joined #openframeworks
19:32 dantheman joined #openframeworks
19:34 marcocanc joined #openframeworks
19:55 dantheman joined #openframeworks
20:05 krgn g'd evening
20:05 krgn what do I need to remember when combining drawing to fbo's, and combining the results?
20:06 krgn my problem are overlapping due to background
20:06 krgn s/are/is
20:13 lindseymysse joined #openframeworks
20:15 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
20:16 dantheman joined #openframeworks
20:21 lindseymysse joined #openframeworks
20:27 dantheman joined #openframeworks
20:49 jamezilla joined #openframeworks
21:05 dantheman joined #openframeworks
21:33 admsyn joined #openframeworks
21:54 alski joined #openframeworks
21:56 arthurc joined #openframeworks
22:11 dantheman joined #openframeworks
22:27 notjosh joined #openframeworks
22:30 alski if you extend a class that has a draw() function, and you add a new draw() function, do you overwrite it?
22:32 az_ joined #openframeworks
22:37 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
22:50 pizthewiz joined #openframeworks
23:05 w4ffles joined #openframeworks

| Channels | #openframeworks index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary