Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #padre, 2011-03-16

| Channels | #padre index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:02 katodroid joined #padre
00:04 ok22 left #padre
00:07 droidica left #padre
00:11 ok22 joined #padre
00:13 Alias Weird
00:13 Alias The new Preferences dialog code is segfaulting trying to create a Wx::ColourPickerCtrl
00:18 ok22_ joined #padre
00:23 ok22 left #padre
00:35 Hyppolit svn: r14067 | adamk++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14067
00:35 Hyppolit trunk/Padre-Plugin-FormBuilder/
00:55 jazzanova joined #padre
01:18 Di-ima left #padre
01:21 Hyppolit svn: r14068 | adamk++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14068
01:21 Hyppolit Downgrading from 3.2 beta save file to 3.1 save file
01:21 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/fbp/
01:25 Hyppolit svn: r14069 | adamk++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14069
01:25 Hyppolit Landing first loadable preview version of Preferences 2.0 (the switch to using wxFormBuilder for our most complicated dialog)
01:25 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/fbp/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/Dialog/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/FBP/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/Menu/
01:25 Alias Splat
01:25 Alias Tools -> Preferences 2.0
01:25 Alias It doesn't actually save anything yet
01:25 Alias And only the first checkbox on the first page is loading configuration data properly
01:25 Alias But it works
01:29 bvierra|l left #padre
01:29 Di-ima joined #padre
02:36 bvierra|l joined #padre
03:01 asarch joined #padre
03:13 Hyppolit svn: r14070 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14070
03:13 Hyppolit Update the messages.pot file
03:13 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/share/locale/
03:32 asarch left #padre
03:43 asarch joined #padre
04:00 Alias szabgab: I might have accidentally introduced some duplicates
04:00 bvierra|l left #padre
04:01 Alias Since my FBP::Perl generator doesn't currently support putting the colon in "Foo:" outside of the gettext call
04:13 Sno| joined #padre
04:16 |Sno| left #padre
04:22 ispy_ joined #padre
04:37 droidica joined #padre
04:37 bvierra|l joined #padre
04:41 ispy_ left #padre
04:41 katodroid left #padre
04:51 ispy_ joined #padre
04:51 ok22_ left #padre
05:02 ok22_ joined #padre
05:10 user_6203 joined #padre
05:10 user_6203 left #padre
05:17 ispy_ left #padre
06:13 kaare joined #padre
06:18 Hyppolit svn: r14071 | adamk++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14071
06:18 Hyppolit Rearranged the dialog a bit
06:18 Hyppolit trunk/Padre-Plugin-FormBuilder/ trunk/Padre-Plugin-FormBuilder/fbp/ trunk/Padre-Plugin-FormBuilder​/lib/Padre/Plugin/FormBuilder/
06:21 asarch left #padre
06:32 Sewi joined #padre
06:38 toi joined #padre
06:39 szabgab Alias: the "Update the messages.pot file" is just a bot that generates more karma for me :)
06:43 Alias__ :)
06:45 Sewi szabgab: What about giving karma for ticket creations/updates/fixes?
06:48 Alias__ Man, distro size is really creeping up
06:48 Alias__ 1.5meg tarball
06:53 ok22_ left #padre
06:57 toi left #padre
06:58 szabgab Alias: and what part takes so many bits?
07:00 szabgab Sewi: a while ago I reverted the svn of hyppolit to a known working state so now you can hack on it, but please don't make major changes (like rewriting it in super-dupper-latest and still in development library)
07:00 fenderson hi
07:02 Sewi hi fenderson
07:04 ok22_ joined #padre
07:14 szabgab Alias: apparently you don't do much tidy-ing before your commits
07:15 Hyppolit svn: r14072 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14072
07:15 Hyppolit tidy-ing, collecting karma  and assuming (svn) blame for Alias
07:15 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/Dialog/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/FBP/
07:15 azawawi joined #padre
07:15 azawawi good morning
07:15 szabgab gm
07:18 szabgab hmm I failed my own tidy :(
07:23 Hyppolit svn: r14073 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14073
07:23 Hyppolit try to tidy again, more karma, yeah!,   more blame :(
07:23 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/FBP/
07:41 toi joined #padre
07:47 * azawawi tries to upgrade scintilla 1.79 again :)
07:55 toi left #padre
07:55 toi joined #padre
07:57 szabgab El_Che: around?
07:57 szabgab so you decided to remove the title-bar and the status-bar configuration from Preferenecs
07:58 szabgab do you plan to eliminate that feature altogether?
08:02 Hyppolit svn: r14074 | azawawi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14074
08:02 Hyppolit Minor build message fix
08:02 Hyppolit trunk/Wx-Scintilla/inc/Module/Build/
08:05 Hyppolit svn: r14075 | azawawi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14075
08:05 Hyppolit Upgrade to Scintilla 1.79 which includes the Perl 5.10 support. This compiles the scintilla without a problem but fails while compiling the Wx Scintilla glue code.
08:05 Hyppolit trunk/Wx-Scintilla/wx-scintil​la/src/stc/scintilla/include/ trunk/Wx-Scintilla/wx-scint​illa/src/stc/scintilla/src/
08:05 Hyppolit svn: r14076 | azawawi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14076
08:05 Hyppolit Update README.txt with the new scintilla version
08:05 Hyppolit trunk/Wx-Scintilla/wx-scintilla/src/stc/scintilla/
08:13 danlucraft joined #padre
08:20 szabgab zenog: ping
08:20 szabgab zenog: if I am not mistake you added the section about "session" to the test-cases, right?
08:21 szabgab I am trying to expand it and I wonder if I am misunderstanding something
08:21 szabgab I am not sure if ctrl-PageUp is related to session management
08:22 szabgab or the recent files loading
08:23 * azawawi &
08:24 szabgab El_Che: regarding the title-bar/status-bar, I'd like to ensure that if we keep that feature then the test-case describing it at http://padre.perlide.org/trac/wiki/Fea​tures/TitleAndStausBarPersonalization is up-to-date
08:25 marcela joined #padre
08:26 szabgab fenderson: in the "code folding" you wrote padre will put a : at the end of every statement? I don't see such thing
08:26 szabgab I see a little box on the left margin witha - sign
08:27 fenderson ?
08:27 fenderson let me check
08:27 szabgab and I can click on the little box to hide code (the box then turns to a + sign)
08:28 fenderson no it wonr
08:28 fenderson wont*
08:28 fenderson i think i mixed it with other thing
08:28 szabgab darling, that's what's happening on my machine
08:28 szabgab so something else migh happening on yours and we can describe the differences
08:28 fenderson what is the feature that fix you're syntax ?
08:28 szabgab and try to understand where does it come from
08:29 fenderson no i wrote something that is not true
08:29 szabgab fenderson: try to clarify that statement please
08:29 fenderson its not correcting me
08:29 fenderson i think i enabled a feature that correct syntax and thought that code folding is doing it
08:30 fenderson but do you remember what feature correct the syntax?
08:30 szabgab correcting ? I am not sure we have one, oh you mean the quick fix?
08:31 szabgab I recall we have it somewehre but azawawi might give you more info if we can wake him up :)
08:31 fenderson yes
08:33 fenderson i know we have
08:33 fenderson i'mn sure
08:33 fenderson i used it. i activated it
08:34 szabgab so let's see if you can find it , as I don't know what are you talking about :)
08:35 fenderson ok i will find it
08:35 fenderson btw
08:35 fenderson i think Sewi helped me use it
08:35 fenderson the first time
08:36 fenderson btw
08:36 fenderson there is a new feature?
08:36 fenderson show project tree?
08:37 szabgab it is not new, why did you think it was?
08:37 fenderson cause i thought i never saw it before
08:38 fenderson wait szabgab do you remember the feature that close you're opened code blocks?
08:38 fenderson if you do {[(
08:38 fenderson it will close it all
08:39 El_Che szabgab: back
08:39 El_Che sorry
08:39 El_Che tell me
08:39 El_Che you want to keep those preferences or remove the page?
08:40 El_Che we can restore them, but it makes the preferences cluttered and it does not bring much onto the table
08:40 szabgab El_Che: I don't know , we had someone sending bug reports
08:40 azawawi fenderson: quick fix is activated by feature_quick_fix
08:40 szabgab so either people are using it or just distracts them in focusing on the right thing:)
08:41 El_Che we can put wontfix
08:41 azawawi fenderson: in preferences / advanced ... switch it to true
08:41 El_Che anyway
08:41 szabgab El_Che: I would keep the feature definietly
08:41 El_Che we are reaching 1.0 and that type of decisions will be more current
08:41 El_Che we need to pay attention to ui
08:41 szabgab if you really don't like to have it in the preferences window then it can still configured in the advanced preferences
08:42 szabgab but then I'd like to have a detailed description of it in the wiki
08:42 El_Che advanced preferences can be as long as you want
08:42 El_Che IF we have a big reset button
08:42 El_Che the ui of advcances preferences is not good
08:42 El_Che but that is for later
08:42 Sewi El_Che, szabgab: I'm running multiple Padre instances at the same time. I need to have the Session name in title / $0 to identify the pid to kill if Padre freezes
08:43 fenderson azawawi: thanks
08:43 szabgab El_Che: why not write up a wiki page on how does the advanced preferences workl today and how would you change it?
08:43 Sewi saying: Please please keep this feature :) But I don't care where it's configures
08:43 El_Che Sewi: mmm
08:43 Sewi configures/configured/
08:43 szabgab azawawi: I think I don't like that we have these hidden features
08:43 fenderson btw i know i used something that added ; if i didnt do it
08:43 El_Che we'll end up in gnome-kde discussions
08:44 szabgab azawawi: but I think I also know that Alias likes the idea
08:44 szabgab El_Che: I am not sure what is the gnome-kde discussion
08:44 Sewi El_Che: "ps" shouldn't care about your desktop :)#
08:44 azawawi szabgab: it was an incomplete feature that's why... i didnt stablize it enough
08:44 El_Che szabgab: gnome: focus on easy of use and sane defaults
08:44 azawawi szabgab: it started out in Perl6 plugin and then landed in core
08:45 El_Che kde: trillions options
08:45 El_Che +kde = you can configure everything
08:45 El_Che +gnome= it makes sense
08:45 Hyppolit svn: r14077 | adamk++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14077
08:45 Hyppolit Moving the various controls to their proper config-matched names, and setting to public so the config loader will pick them up.
08:45 Hyppolit
08:45 Hyppolit Untidying the tidying done by people ignoring the "auto-generated, don't change" notes
08:45 Sewi El_Che: We're an IDE. We need to be configurable but also useable by new users
08:45 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/fbp/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/FBP/
08:45 El_Che Sewi: yes, I think of Netbeans preferences as an example
08:46 * Sewi didn't ever use it :)
08:46 El_Che lots (it's an IDE), but correctly displayed and no options where sane default suffice
08:46 El_Che that IDE is a *lot* bigger than ours and still the preferences is easy to overview
08:47 Sewi it depends on your project and personal feelings if a sane default is ok or not :-)
08:47 azawawi i dont understand something about MacOS preferences dialogs... How do you cancel and "apply" changes? Anyone?
08:47 El_Che Sewi: advanced options is an options or plugins
08:48 Sewi El_Che: I like to walk through all options when trying new software. You could learn a lot this way :)
08:49 El_Che Sewi: you are a nice weird guy :)
08:49 szabgab Sewi: that can be a long walk, you know :)
08:49 Sewi I know :)
08:49 Alias__ I like the idea of features being hidden until they don't suck
08:49 Alias__ It's kinda of an incremental beta
08:49 Sewi El_Che: Yes, I don't like wifi :)
08:49 El_Che qed
08:49 El_Che :)
08:49 szabgab Alias__: I' think we should hide the "Save" feature then :)
08:49 Alias__ :)
08:49 Sewi :)
08:50 szabgab that could be an interesting exercise :)
08:50 Sewi szabgab: What about hiding the "quit" option from the file menu... ;-)
08:50 szabgab hey 1st of April is coming...
08:50 szabgab we might be onto something :)
08:50 Alias__ Want to do a notepad-emulation mode?
08:51 Alias__ :)
08:51 El_Che anyway, I am not proposing UI fascism, but like Alias is trying to do by splitting functionality and looks, we need to think about it
08:51 szabgab can we somehow mark each config option in the advanced config editor that has a version in the Preferences dialog?
08:52 szabgab maybe even telling 'where' is it?
08:52 Alias__ We tell people in great detail that the dialog they are using is pointless?
08:52 El_Che doesn't each options in preference also present in advanced?
08:52 Alias__ It does
08:52 szabgab El_Che: in the opposite direction
08:52 Alias__ Advanced is a superset of preferences
08:52 Alias__ I really don't expect people to use Advanced most of the time
08:53 Alias__ If we're doing our job right with the main preferences
08:53 szabgab Alias__: we teach them how they can shorten their configuration
08:53 El_Che szabgab: ni
08:53 El_Che no
08:53 El_Che advanced is really for special stuff, like sewi's example
08:53 El_Che 99% should not touch it
08:53 Alias__ If they couldn't find a configuration item in the first place, telling them that they can't find it won't help
08:54 Alias__ "You know that normal preferences, where you couldn't find X? Yep, you're just stupid and couln't find it"
08:54 Alias__ I don't think it adds anything
08:54 szabgab El_Che: right, what I am saying is that if someone already touched it we can point him at the PReferences dialog
08:54 El_Che advanced being a superset of preferences, it may be handy to save/restore/move configs
08:54 Alias__ szabgab, what will they do if they go to Preferences at the hinting of Advanced?
08:54 Alias__ Not find it again?
08:54 azawawi szabgab: advanced will be always needed through the lifecycle of Padre. Sometimes features may break or a better feature replaces it.
08:55 azawawi szabgab: and it is cool :)
08:55 azawawi szabgab: and awesome :)
08:55 El_Che we need to make sure that preferences are top notch (not yet the case)
08:55 azawawi Alias++ # suggest the advanced feature idea
08:55 El_Che advances is good but not priority nr 1
08:55 Alias__ azawawi: "Beta Features" ?
08:55 El_Che (like said, most won't even see it)
08:55 El_Che (or see it an be intimidated)
08:56 El_Che (or advanced will eat their dog)
08:56 azawawi Alias__: hmmm... yeah? :)
08:56 szabgab hmm, it seems my ideas keep facing rejection :(
08:57 Alias__ szabgab, you like to add more complexity
08:57 El_Che Alias__: I would like to discuss the additon of a plugins notebook entry in preferences with a subbranch for plugins that request it
08:57 szabgab then at least Alias__ please run perltidy before you commit :)
08:57 El_Che specifically what changes need to be made to the plugin api
08:57 Alias__ I told you, I'd run perltidy when Padre does it for me :)
08:57 fenderson szabgab: thats so wired
08:57 El_Che cough*svnhook*cough
08:57 fenderson weird
08:57 fenderson i cant find it
08:57 Sewi tidy-while-typing would be nice :)
08:58 szabgab El_Che: svnhook for what?
08:58 El_Che I think that's a trac ticket
08:58 Alias__ El_Che: I think initially having dedicated plugin dialogs will be eaiser
08:58 szabgab again? pre-commit would be bad
08:58 El_Che Sewi: automatic tidying, I saw it yesterday while browsing the tickets
08:58 Alias__ El_Che, it's also how Mozilla does it
08:58 El_Che Alias__: bad UI
08:58 szabgab post-commit would be ok if you really want it, but I wanted to start with only sending out alerts
08:58 El_Che Alias__: we don't need preferences all over the places
08:59 Alias__ El_Che: It's not all over the place, it's right next to the enable/disable button for that plugin
08:59 El_Che Alias__: it can be almost completely separeted from the code from preferences. It's a container window
08:59 Sewi El_Che: Sure, up to the blinking speed of the cursor :)
08:59 szabgab Sewi: I'd start with allowing the plugins to hook into the on-save method
08:59 szabgab what do you ppl think about it?
09:00 Sewi szabgab: How would you handle two plugins hooking the same call?
09:00 szabgab Sewi: no idea yet
09:00 azawawi being used to eclipse and netbeans, i would say plugin + core configuration in one place
09:00 azawawi it is simpler
09:00 szabgab maybe they would be just added one after the other?
09:00 szabgab and yes, I know order can matter
09:01 Sewi szabgab: I think all of them need to run, but you're right, order is important
09:01 Sewi +1 for combined configuration
09:01 szabgab Alias__, azawawi do you also see test failures on Windows?  the Win32 smoke server complains
09:02 El_Che an UI principle is "similar things go together", that's why we are moving preferences things from Mneu into Preferences and I would like to centralize the plugins there as well
09:02 Sewi Why not allowing plugins to add preferences tabs?
09:02 El_Che Sewi: thats the idea
09:02 El_Che a tree entry "Plugins"
09:02 Alias__ Sewi: Because it's complicated...
09:02 El_Che where plugins can add a subtree "<Plugin Name>"
09:02 Alias__ I'm not opposed in principle, I just think it's going to be tricky
09:02 Alias__ And doing the preferences standalone is easier for the first pass
09:03 El_Che Alias__: tricky? that's why we pay you for :)
09:03 Sewi Alias: Did you use Wordpress? Their plugins add their preferences everywhere: in the preferences menu, in the plugin menu or only as a link on the plugin detail page
09:03 Alias__ If we do them in wxFormBuilder then we can just move the preference code directly into the merged version later
09:03 El_Che Alias__: Decidings how we want things does not mean right away
09:04 Alias__ Sewi: That's a website, not a desktop app
09:04 El_Che Alias__: we can work however you want as long we don't make design decisions that would make the goald (integrate plugin prefs) impossible
09:04 Alias__ Sure thing
09:04 Sewi Alias: But it's chaos :-) Should be much easier for a website to unify things, but they're not doing it
09:04 Alias__ Do it in wxFormBuilder, and it should be fine
09:05 El_Che before that we should decide on what a plugin can adapt and what not
09:05 Sewi Having plugin preferences in a common way is good for start, we may push them to preferences later
09:08 El_Che we also need to make a clear dinstinction in Preferences between what's Padre general and Perl 5 specific configs
09:09 Sewi El_Che: thats a huge thing because some P5 settings also touch some but not all other languages.
09:09 Hyppolit #1168: Allow plugins to hook into the on_save method (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/1168 ]
09:10 szabgab could you please comment on this ticket?
09:10 azawawi Alias__: we may need also to revisit the editor and document concept once an upgraded scintilla lands...
09:10 Alias__ Yeah, that's a bad model
09:11 Alias__ I've been niggling away at it, trying to fix it, but it's dodgy
09:11 El_Che azawawi: I can't wait for that! azawawi++. I want to use my //= without needing to at a #/ at the end of the line :)
09:12 Sewi szabgab: Sure that you want the plugin method to be called "on_load" for the save hook?
09:12 szabgab Sewi: I was just checking if people really read it :)
09:12 szabgab :)
09:12 Alias__ ok, so the new preferences dialog is starting to fill itself up now
09:13 Alias__ Something's fucked with the listbox on the left though
09:13 Alias__ I'll look at that later
09:13 Alias__ It doesn't save yet though
09:13 Hyppolit #1168: Allow plugins to hook into the on_save method (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1168#comment:1 ]
09:13 El_Che szabgab: what do you want to hook up save? do you have an example?
09:13 Sewi El_Che: It's in the ticket
09:13 El_Che just saw it
09:13 Alias__ El_Che: Automatic perltidy
09:14 Alias__ Although if we core that, it won't be needed
09:14 Alias__ Other plugins may want to do things like restart web servers etc
09:14 El_Che with each save?
09:14 szabgab See also #15
09:14 Hyppolit #15: Plugin idea: timestamp files (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/15 ]
09:14 Alias__ Sure
09:15 szabgab El_Che: Dancer would need it
09:15 szabgab with its built-in web server for development
09:15 Alias__ You actually kind of want both a before and after
09:16 Hyppolit #1168: Allow plugins to hook into the on_save method (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1168#comment:2 ]
09:16 Alias__ Opportunity to prevent save or modify the file, versus triggering actions as a result of the save
09:16 El_Che at the risj of boring you guys with example from other IDEs, Netbeans has a compile at save option (that I find rather annoying :) )
09:17 mj41_nb joined #padre
09:17 Alias__ I want a run-tests-on-save option, for example
09:17 szabgab Thre could e a plugin that would require you to pay 2 cents before every save
09:17 azawawi El_Che: it works really well in eclipse... they added it to compete in eclipse
09:17 azawawi El_Che: s/in eclipse/with eclipse/
09:18 toi left #padre
09:18 El_Che azawawi: not to slow on larger projects?
09:18 El_Che too
09:18 azawawi El_Che: Nop, in eclipse everything is handled in a background process
09:18 Alias__ right
09:18 El_Che nice
09:18 Alias__ I'm assuming with Padre it would be in the background too
09:18 Alias__ Or imaging a panel on the right, like the Function List
09:18 Alias__ But it's a Test List
09:18 azawawi El_Che: and their build system is intelligent to build only the ones needed to be compiled
09:18 Hyppolit #1168: Allow plugins to hook into the on_save method (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1168#comment:3 ]
09:19 Alias__ When you hit save, all the tests slowly turn green as they pass
09:19 El_Che with the test culture in the perl world, it's indeed good
09:19 azawawi El_Che: EPIC does that also... benefiting from Eclipse
09:19 El_Che azawawi: I was a epic user once :)
09:19 Alias__ Doesn't stop you doing development, just runs the tests gradually
09:19 Alias__ Then if you save again, tests abort and restart
09:20 El_Che azawawi: is epic active?
09:22 azawawi El_Che: havent checked it lately... was on my eclipse 2 months when i decided to cleanup some *unused* plugins
09:22 azawawi El_Che: :)
09:24 El_Che <imperialist mode>We shoud get those devs in padre</imperialist mode>
09:24 El_Che it was pretty good
09:31 szabgab maybe a year ago I exchanged e-mails with the maintainer of EPIC
09:32 szabgab he said there are no feature requests coming in and he is also satisfied with what he has
09:32 szabgab back then it was totally inactive
10:07 szabgab Sewi: do I recall correctly that you added the editing via ftp or ssh feature?
10:07 fenderson szabgab: anyway i cant find it now
10:07 Sewi szabgab: Yes, I started on it
10:07 szabgab Sewi: so what's the status of it?
10:07 Sewi All file/dir i/o should go through Padre::File (in theory)
10:07 szabgab I never needed that feature but people ask me sometimes
10:08 Sewi I'm using it myself somethings :)
10:08 Sewi It's basically working but it's neighter completed nor used everywhere within Padre.
10:09 fenderson szabgab: the "show project browser\tree" is focus on the project's dir
10:09 fenderson right?
10:09 fenderson and search files in that dir
10:09 szabgab Sewi: could you help me with describeing what do we have and what might need to be implemented on http://padre.perlide.org/trac​/wiki/Features/RemoteEditing ?
10:10 szabgab fenderson: right
10:10 Sewi szabgab: I started converting the project/directory browser before Alias rewrite and now I'm scared to start again on the new version :)
10:13 szabgab Sewi:  I can understand such things
10:13 szabgab but maybe you could bombard him with questions of what things are doing
10:14 toi joined #padre
10:14 szabgab and then try to explain them with your words in the code as comments
10:14 Sewi Maybe Alias would remove my svn account if I'ld update it :)
10:14 szabgab fenderson: does this help: http://padre.perlide.org/trac​/wiki/Features/ProjectBrowser ?
10:16 mj41_nb left #padre
10:18 katodroid joined #padre
10:22 daxim joined #padre
10:22 droidica left #padre
10:26 daxim left #padre
10:27 daxim joined #padre
10:31 Sewi szabgab: wiki is updated, is this what you want?
10:32 moghar left #padre
10:33 szabgab Sewi: quite good, thanks
10:34 szabgab please look around the other Feature pages, just to see what kind of pages I am trying to create
10:35 Sewi What does "Eclipse -> Source navigation" mean?
10:35 szabgab Sewi: where?
10:35 Sewi Features page, last paragraph
10:35 szabgab oh I see
10:36 szabgab I don't know I think I  copied the list from the EPIC page
10:36 szabgab and the Eclipse promotional page :)
10:36 szabgab it can mean jumping around the code to subroutine definitions
10:37 szabgab or variable definitions
10:37 szabgab or usage of either of the above
10:37 Sewi The Feature page itself is bad. It's a big monter without good structure
10:37 szabgab Sewi: yes, I am trying to clean it up now
10:37 szabgab piece bu piece as I create the other pages
10:38 szabgab if you have the time to help me with that, it would be cool
10:39 Sewi szabgab: Need to get my accounting done :(
10:39 szabgab don't even remind me of that :(
10:40 szabgab I am trying to avoid that by writing Feature pages :)
10:42 Sewi Good idea, but German authorities are not happy if you submit the monthly reports late :(
10:43 szabgab Sewi: I think instead of "implemented" we should maybe add a link to the description to each item
10:43 szabgab in the table you edited
10:43 Sewi sure
10:43 szabgab check out the page about the regex editor
10:43 szabgab I even started to add screenshots
10:47 azawawi left #padre
10:47 azawawi joined #padre
10:58 Hyppolit svn: r14078 | Sewi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14078
10:58 Hyppolit Add links to the feature list
10:58 Hyppolit trunk/template.padre.perlide.org/tt/pages/
11:02 bowtie joined #padre
11:03 szabgab nice: http://changes.cpanhq.org/
11:08 mj41_nb joined #padre
11:10 Alias__ I'm not the one responsible for the remote editing stuff
11:10 Alias__ I just kind of described what it should probably look like
11:10 Alias__ submersible_toaster has done most of it
11:10 Alias__ He recently upgraded some of the older code to use Task 2.0
11:11 szabgab oh I thought Sewi did most of it and the toaster maded the frightening feature of editing someone elses files
11:11 szabgab there are two different types of "Remote editing"
11:11 Alias__ OH, you don't mean collaborative
11:12 Alias__ You mean like FTP and such
11:12 szabgab so maybe the name I picked was incorrect
11:12 szabgab Alias__: yes
11:12 szabgab Alias__: but where did you describe them?
11:13 Hyppolit svn: r14079 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14079
11:13 Hyppolit Update the messages.pot file
11:13 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/share/locale/
11:17 szabgab huh I get all kinds of warnings from PAdre on the console
11:17 szabgab for example: Odd number of elements in hash assignment at /home/gabor/work/padre/Padre/lib​/Padre/Wx/Dialog/Preferences.pm line 445.
11:22 jazzanova left #padre
11:29 Sewi fix them or pass them to fenderson for fixing :-)
11:30 fenderson :)
11:30 fenderson what is the bug?
11:30 szabgab oh fenderson is here
11:30 fenderson yes always
11:30 szabgab I see you got mentioned in the release notes
11:30 szabgab congrats
11:31 fenderson yes :) thanks
11:31 szabgab I just wish I knew what are you doing in the rest of your time :)
11:31 fenderson if gave me a boost to try harder
11:32 fenderson :) i started doing the project tree
11:32 fenderson and than i saw someone already did it... :(
11:32 fenderson lol so i'm going to other thing
11:33 fenderson btw it seems like there is not lots of test manual left and it will be better if i'll go over tickets
11:33 fenderson dont you think?
11:33 szabgab no idea, I have not seen you reporting on the test cases
11:35 szabgab before I go crazy, am I right that   \Q\w+  is a valid regex?
11:40 Hyppolit #1169: Regex Editor does not understand \Q (new defect) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/1169 ]
11:42 Sewi szabgab: I think it should be \Q\w+\E, but I might be wrong
11:43 szabgab you only need the \E if you want to stop the quoting
11:44 szabgab bug filed
11:45 Hyppolit svn: r14080 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14080
11:45 Hyppolit add list of Escaped characters to Regex Editor as asked in #923
11:45 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/Dialog/
11:46 Hyppolit #923: (wishlist) special (tab) characters should be also available in regex editor (closed enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/923#comment:2 ]
11:46 szabgab fenderson: you could go over the Features/ pages and add the related tickets to the pages
11:47 zenog szabgab++
11:55 fenderson szabgab: ok 1sec
11:56 fenderson ohh ok understood
12:06 rindolf joined #padre
12:06 rindolf Hi all.
12:07 fenderson hi rindolf
12:19 Hyppolit svn: r14081 | azawawi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14081
12:19 Hyppolit Fixed compilation errors in src/stc/PlatWX.cpp (the Wx glue code) after upgrading bundled Scintilla to 1.79
12:19 Hyppolit trunk/Wx-Scintilla/wx-scintilla/src/stc/
12:26 szabgab fenderson: I mean not the single "Features" page, but it links to several other pages, each one describing a feature of Padre
12:26 Hyppolit svn: r14082 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14082
12:26 Hyppolit add list of Escaped characters to Regex Editor in Changes
12:26 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/
12:28 rindolf fenderson: what's up?
12:29 Hyppolit svn: r14083 | azawawi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14083
12:29 Hyppolit ScintillaWX.cpp now compiles. Now preparing to test with share/30-editor.pl
12:29 Hyppolit trunk/Wx-Scintilla/wx-scintilla/src/stc/
12:31 Hyppolit #1170: Add undo to the regex editor (new defect) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/1170 ]
12:33 Hyppolit #1170: Add undo to the regex editor (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1170#comment:1 ]
12:33 Hyppolit #1170: Add undo to the regex editor (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1170#comment:2 ]
12:34 fenderson rindolf: everything is great
12:34 fenderson and you?
12:35 Hyppolit #1171: Regex Editor highlighting seesme to be broken (new defect) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/1171 ]
12:36 rindolf fenderson: working on a blog post.
12:36 rindolf fenderson: for http://unarmed.shlomifish.org/
12:36 zenog rindolf: About Padre?
12:37 rindolf zenog: no, not about Padre.
12:37 rindolf zenog: I don't blog about Padre a lot.
12:40 szabgab I see one hit for shlomi in the data/stash.yml and even that is for a post on whatsup, yes coan consider 0 to "not a lot " :)
12:40 szabgab but he posts thre releases to freshmeat, right?
12:42 szabgab can someone else please check the regex editor
12:42 szabgab for me when I open it it does not turn any of the string to be red
12:42 szabgab and I think it worked just a few days ago
12:44 szabgab but I already went back quite a lot of revisions and I still cannot find a working version
12:44 szabgab so maybe something else is broken on my computer
12:46 szabgab I went back 13000 and I still could not see it working, strange
12:47 mj41_nb left #padre
12:47 zenog szabgab: Works for me on current trunk.
12:48 zenog szabgab: So something else is broken on your computer ...
12:48 szabgab do you get it red ?
12:48 rindolf szabgab: yes, I post the releases on Freshmeat.net.
12:48 zenog The matched substring, yes.
12:48 zenog rindolf++
12:50 rindolf zenog: http://unarmed.shlomifish.org/1109.html - post is published.
12:51 zenog rindolf: nice
12:52 rindolf zenog: thanks.
12:53 Hyppolit svn: r14084 | azawawi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14084
12:53 Hyppolit More compilation fixes in ScintillaWX.cpp
12:53 Hyppolit trunk/Wx-Scintilla/wx-scintilla/src/stc/
12:54 azawawi scintilla 1.79 has so many lexers...
12:54 azawawi compilation takes more time than before especially when compiling lexers
12:55 szabgab hmm, I don't understand, is someone removing the hot-keys from the windows?
12:55 szabgab now I am trying to search for something and there are almost no hotkeys
12:56 szabgab I can see only one on &Cancel
12:56 szabgab but I am not Mousy
12:56 szabgab I am Keyboardy
12:57 szabgab and when I close the search window it forgets the options I set
12:58 szabgab is that on purpose?
12:58 Sewi szabgab: Don't think so as we have config file options for it
12:58 fenderson szabgab: btw the tickets are confusing
12:58 fenderson its not in order\ or i dont get the order
12:59 szabgab fenderson: I am sure you will be able to find out how to use "Trac"  to find the tickets you want
12:59 fenderson yes i can
12:59 fenderson just saying
12:59 fenderson its mixed
13:00 szabgab it is in the order they were opened, right?
13:00 fenderson if i'll be happy to  help organise it better
13:00 fenderson yes
13:00 fenderson anyway
13:00 szabgab so how would you organize it better?
13:00 fenderson you want me to add only unsoved tickets right?
13:01 fenderson not the bugs that are fixed
13:01 szabgab maybe you could pick specific features of padre and list all the bugs related to that feature together?
13:01 fenderson ok
13:01 fenderson but only the unfixed ones right?
13:01 szabgab and both the onese that are open and those that are closed already
13:02 fenderson ok
13:02 fenderson now i'm doing it
13:04 fenderson already started adding
13:04 fenderson i'm writing after the title. "see TICKETS NUMBER"
13:05 fenderson i'm going though every ticket
13:06 szabgab Maybe it would be easier to go through the tickets from 1 to 1171
13:06 Alias__ Probably not :)
13:06 Alias__ All the old ones are difficult :)
13:06 szabgab to decide which feature they belong to?
13:06 Alias__ Which is why they are still unsolved :)
13:07 szabgab Alias__: do you think it would b edifficult to decide which feature they belong to?
13:07 fenderson how can i organise   it through numbers
13:07 Alias__ Depends how good the feature breakdown is
13:08 fenderson szabgab: you're talking to me right..?
13:08 szabgab I can see two ways here: either pick a feature  and search track for tickets with that feature
13:08 kaare left #padre
13:09 szabgab or go throught the ticket numbers and try to put relate them to a feature
13:09 szabgab and if one is not obvious then maybe add it to "other"
13:09 szabgab any better ideas?
13:10 fenderson szabgab: again you are talking to me right?
13:11 szabgab fenderson: I am talking about your task but other can also give their thougts
13:11 szabgab anyway, fenderson just do as you find it working for you
13:12 fenderson how do i go through the tickets number
13:12 szabgab #1
13:12 Hyppolit #1: Improve load time (closed defect) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/1#comment:5 ]
13:12 szabgab see the URL?
13:12 fenderson ok i saw it
13:12 fenderson i press on the ticket link
13:13 fenderson and than i have from first to last
13:13 szabgab fenderson: you know, you can just change the URL
13:13 szabgab in your browser
13:14 fenderson right
13:14 fenderson at the url box
13:14 fenderson i can right 1 2 3 4
13:14 fenderson and ect
13:14 szabgab "write" not "right"
13:14 fenderson did not think about it :) thanks
13:14 fenderson write**
13:15 szabgab but you write on the right side :)
13:15 fenderson lol yes
13:15 fenderson XD
13:15 fenderson already started btw
13:15 fenderson but now i'll change my ways
13:15 fenderson to the other options seems better
13:16 szabgab if some tickets are uncler - which feature they belong to - either list them and skip them or list them and ask around here
13:17 fenderson ok
13:20 Hyppolit svn: r14085 | azawawi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14085
13:20 Hyppolit It links now again with Scintilla 1.79 :)
13:20 Hyppolit trunk/Wx-Scintilla/wx-scintilla/src/stc/
13:21 azawawi Victory! Perl 5.10 support :)
13:21 szabgab azawawi++
13:22 szabgab we are now only 3 years behind :)
13:22 azawawi dont worry im getting better at compiling it :)
13:22 szabgab but seriously, you are great!
13:23 mj41_nb joined #padre
13:24 azawawi verified it again with Wx::STC and Wx::Scintilla in share/30-editor.pl
13:24 azawawi my $a = 10 // 20; # works :)
13:27 szabgab azawawi: try $z = 0 // 10;
13:28 szabgab El_Che: r14009 is causing the warnings
13:28 Hyppolit Changeset #14009 http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14009
13:29 szabgab and that happens due to me having a user-style
13:29 azawawi szabgab: works like a charm
13:29 azawawi szabgab: so basically we're just missing release 2.20 "Release 2.20: Perl folder works for array blocks, adjacent package statements, nested PODs, and terminates package folding at __DATA__, ^D and ^Z. "
13:31 szabgab and then we can start sending bug reports to the authors of Scintilla, great!
13:31 azawawi szabgab: we can fix it ourselves, it is LexPerl.cxx :)
13:31 azawawi szabgab: and add LexPerl6.cxx :)
13:32 szabgab nice!
13:32 szabgab very nice!
13:32 szabgab very very nice!
13:33 szabgab in the meantime Audrey just signed up to individual PEG member
13:33 azawawi szabgab: so basically we backported scintilla 1.79 to wxWidgets 2.8.10 on win32 strawberry... hardcoded :)
13:33 zenog azawawi++
13:33 * azawawi dances
13:34 azawawi I knew C++ would help me out someday when I first learned it :)
13:35 azawawi we need to start out some proper support for C++ in Padre
13:35 azawawi since atm error checking the console for "error:" and "warning:" is so tedious
13:36 * azawawi thinks syntax checking for C++
13:36 zenog azawawi: maybe a flymake-like (from emacs) feature/plugin?
13:37 azawawi zenog: what does that do?
13:37 zenog azawawi: http://flymake.sourceforge.net/
13:37 zenog azawawi: " It runs the syntax check tool (the compiler for C++ files, perl for perl files, etc.) in the background, passing it a temporary copy of the current buffer and parses the output for known error/warning message patterns."
13:38 azawawi cool
13:38 zenog azawawi: Very much like the way do it in Padre anyway ...
13:39 azawawi zenog: so we need a Padre::Document::CPP and Padre::Document::Syntax::CPP
13:40 zenog azawawi: Yes, it is not that hard ...
13:40 zenog azawawi: Plus error parsers for gcc/g++ and LLVM ...
13:40 azawawi zenog: we're just missing a Tool abstraction in Padre
13:41 zenog azawawi: But concentrate first on finishing the Scintilla integration ;-)
13:41 * azawawi tries to concentrate :)
13:41 mj41_nb left #padre
13:42 zenog azawawi: I was thinking about writing a plug-in tutorial blog post that covers such things, so that others can easily contribute such plug-ins.
13:42 azawawi zenog: you can improve it by writing a PluginWizard plugin :)
13:42 azawawi zenog: click... next. next... ready plugin project
13:43 azawawi zenog: forget the word wizard and focus on create basic units in Padre
13:44 azawawi zenog: new Padre document
13:44 azawawi zenog: new Padre syntax checker
13:44 azawawi zenog: etc...
13:45 azawawi zenog: i hate copy & paste... it usually makes things harder to debug that ready boilerplate
13:45 azawawi zenog: s/that ready/than ready/
13:46 * azawawi time to go to a remote site... cya &
13:46 azawawi left #padre
14:00 kaare joined #padre
14:08 Hyppolit svn: r14086 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14086
14:08 Hyppolit slight unification of core and user styles to eliminate warnnigs created by r14009 when there are user styles
14:08 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Config/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/Dialog/
14:13 Sewi szabgab: Do you want to enable the remote file tests for on the smoker?
14:18 szabgab Sewi: I'll check that
14:19 Hyppolit svn: r14087 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14087
14:19 Hyppolit some refactoring in the sytles code
14:19 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Config/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Wx/Dialog/
14:20 szabgab El_Che: pls check that I did not break your style changes
14:22 szabgab fenderson: whatI don't understand with you is that you say "I am doing it right now" you do one entry and then not any more, why make promises?
14:24 Sewi szabgab: #1168: Are "plugin can have a on_save method" and "plugin can have a padre_hooks method" two ideas? I don't get how they should work together
14:24 Hyppolit #1168: Allow plugins to hook into the on_save method (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1168#comment:3 ]
14:27 fenderson szabgab: i dont get it
14:27 fenderson now i dont see the refactoring feature at all
14:27 fenderson what's going on?
14:28 szabgab Sewi: two ideas for the implementation
14:28 Sewi fenderson: Do you have a Perl 5 file open?
14:28 Sewi = Does Padre show "Perl 5" in the status bar?
14:28 szabgab how the plugins should tell padre what hooks they have implemented
14:29 fenderson yes
14:29 Sewi szabgab: If they are two ideas - everything is good. Otherwise I wouldn't understand it :)
14:29 fenderson Sewi: i have perl 5 and i see
14:30 szabgab they are two ideas
14:30 fenderson Sewi: i also see the feature
14:30 fenderson what i meant was
14:30 fenderson on that link http://padre.perlide.org/tr​ac/wiki/PreReleaseChecklist
14:30 fenderson i dont see my manual test for refactoring
14:31 asarch joined #padre
14:31 szabgab fenderson: try looking at the history, maybe it will tell you what happened
14:32 fenderson and another thing
14:32 fenderson i thought about it we have 1700 tickets/ half are features?
14:32 fenderson we'll have 700links for reports?
14:33 szabgab fenderson: try doing one by one, first find out what happened to the test-cases
14:33 fenderson what do you mean by "move refactoring to separate file"
14:34 szabgab fenderson: try harder
14:34 szabgab I am sure you will figure it out once you decide you *can* figure it out alone
14:36 szabgab maybe you can also look at other parts of the page or at the timeline
14:41 fenderson ok
14:47 dapatrick joined #padre
14:55 szabgab zenog: around?
14:56 zenog szabgab: yes, but generally quite busy ...
14:57 szabgab just a short q
14:57 zenog shoot.
14:57 szabgab about sessions in  http://padre.perlide.org/trac/wi​ki/PreReleaseChecklist#Sessions
14:57 szabgab what is the relation of ctrl-pageup to sessions?
14:58 szabgab and what recent files has in connection?
14:58 szabgab or you are not talking about the same session that can be saved and opened?
14:59 zenog ah the cycling has nothing to do with the section feature. I just put it in there to check the cycling feature because in a session there are several open files ...
14:59 szabgab ok, so I can split those up, right?
14:59 zenog In the beginning, I tried to cover as many features at once with the test cases. I did not concentrate on separating them.
14:59 zenog Sure.
15:01 szabgab I think I am going to further confuse fenderson
15:01 fenderson szabgab: ?
15:03 fenderson btw i dont know what you're talking about
15:03 fenderson but i saw that in the last change you removed the refactoring
15:03 El_Che szabgab: I don't want the preferences window to look like this: http://ploum.net/images/bottomtop.png
15:03 El_Che :)
15:04 szabgab thats a good one :)
15:07 El_Che The CPAN release guidelines request that you talk about new modules and namespace in public. I am thinking of releasing App::Unix::RPasswd, an application to remotely change passwords in parallel. It includes a retrivebale 'random' password generator that can assign un unique password to each server. You can only recreate those password if you know the secret salt. Useful?
15:08 szabgab El_Che:  I think that refers to the module-authors list in general
15:08 El_Che no irc is also good :)
15:08 szabgab :)
15:09 szabgab then I have no idea
15:09 szabgab now that you discussed it in public, go and upload it
15:09 Sewi lol
15:10 szabgab I was not jokin :)
15:10 Sewi I know
15:13 rindolf left #padre
15:13 Hyppolit svn: r14088 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14088
15:13 Hyppolit Update the messages.pot file
15:13 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/share/locale/
15:15 ispy_ joined #padre
15:17 El_Che no troubles in the namespace?
15:18 szabgab I am no authority. Actually noone is :) If it is not taken then it is ok. App:: is the recommended space for Applications (as opposed to moduless)
15:18 El_Che that's the idea
15:19 szabgab and you know you can always rename it and upload with a different name
15:19 szabgab if the marketing department decided on a name change
15:19 szabgab for eaxmpla I was thinking of renaming Padre
15:19 szabgab to Pedro
15:19 Sewi szabgab: apologies for breaking the tests
15:20 Hyppolit svn: r14089 | Sewi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14089
15:20 Hyppolit Plugin hooks, first part:
15:20 Hyppolit Add a test plugin and a test which is using the new plugin.
15:20 Hyppolit The test is currently failing because it's testing things which aren't done yet.
15:20 szabgab ok, I think I should look for my pills :)
15:20 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Plugin/ trunk/Padre/script/ trunk/Padre/xt/
15:20 szabgab Sewi: you apologized up-front?
15:20 Sewi yes, because I just added a failing test :)
15:21 mj41_nbx joined #padre
15:21 szabgab the test have been failing for a while now on my windows smoker at least
15:21 szabgab and I hould turn on the linux smoker again
15:21 szabgab but why did you add a failing test?
15:27 Sewi I'm working on the part which makes it pass. But the test plugin and the plugin test are one logical unit and I didn't want the commit to get too big by committing multiple things at once
15:33 mj41_nbx left #padre
15:34 mj41_nb joined #padre
15:35 toi left #padre
15:40 marcela left #padre
15:46 fenderson szabgab:
15:46 fenderson i dont get it
15:46 fenderson why did you erased the refactoring part
15:47 szabgab have you read the page ?
15:47 szabgab is there something new on the page?
15:47 szabgab I was hoping you will find that I *moved* it
15:48 szabgab or have I really erased it?
15:49 szabgab fenderson: I though you told me you will work 8 hours a day on this and yet I can only see you appear for a few minutes here and there
15:49 fenderson yes i'm trying
15:50 Alias__ szabgab: oh man, harsh
15:51 Alias__ fenderson, thanks for appearing daily
15:51 Alias__ :)
15:51 fenderson i dont know what but i get distracted many times
15:51 Alias__ me too
15:51 fenderson Alias__: no he's right i should be more useful
15:51 szabgab fenderson: distracted by what?
15:51 fenderson i want to be more useful
15:52 fenderson by music by phonecalls
15:52 fenderson i think i have to shut it all when i start
15:52 szabgab so can you close your phone?
15:52 szabgab maybe you need to
15:52 fenderson and realy every day that week i'm trying harder
15:52 Alias__ szabgab, leave the lad alone :)
15:52 fenderson yes its easy to distract me
15:52 Alias__ He'll turn off his phones, if you turn off yours :)
15:53 * Alias__ bed
15:53 szabgab Alias__: at this hour?
15:53 fenderson Alias__: no, he's right i have to learn how to work few hours straight
15:53 fenderson szabgab: anyway the first 2 weeks were easy
15:54 fenderson cause it was very interesting but now i feel like i learn less than i did, and i want to change it
15:54 szabgab fenderson: you have 2 more weeks to prove that you want to work harder
15:54 fenderson cause more i learn more it interest me
15:54 szabgab then we will kick you out of school
15:55 szabgab so turn off now everything that distracts you,
15:55 fenderson szabgab: you're not joking i guess
15:55 szabgab get in a room, close the door
15:55 Sewi fenderson: Go ahead and grab any ticket which seems to be simple to you and try to solve it. If you solve it, your work will go into the next release, otherwise your comment in the ticket will help others fixing it in the future
15:56 szabgab and try to work on either what sewi just said or what we discussed earlier, categorizing the tickets
15:56 pece joined #padre
15:57 szabgab fenderson: and no, I am not joking
15:57 Sewi szabgab: Sorry, I didn't want to override your lesson for him.
15:57 fenderson szabgab: btw i found where is the refactoring
15:57 szabgab Sewi: no that's also good but I am not suer that he is ready for that already
15:58 szabgab fenderson: good
15:58 fenderson http://padre.perlide.org/trac/​wiki/Features/RefactoringPerl5
15:59 fenderson ok i'm on track
15:59 fenderson and on trac XD
16:00 Hyppolit #1168: Allow plugins to hook into the on_save method (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1168#comment:4 ]
16:00 szabgab if I knew what do you mean by XD :)
16:00 fenderson szabgab: lol
16:00 fenderson that i got what i needed to keep on working
16:00 Sewi szabgab: It's younger people's :-) or lol
16:01 fenderson and work better that i did this week
16:01 Sewi fenderson: Stop talking about working but start it :-)
16:01 szabgab fenderson: what sewi said
16:03 szabgab fenderson: and close your phone and music!
16:08 Sewi szabgab: Does this match your expectations? http://padre.perlide.org/tra​c/wiki/PluginAPI/Padre_Hooks
16:08 asarch left #padre
16:10 szabgab Sewi:  I don't know but it is a very good start
16:10 bowtie zenog: update, using r14060 :)) I have found some sort of stability, I am pleased to see 0.84, I am happy to assist in testing now that I have stopped going tit up;)
16:10 Hyppolit Changeset #14060 http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14060
16:10 szabgab we need more of these!
16:10 szabgab bowtie: great
16:11 szabgab one of the thing I am currently trying to do is to describe all the major features of Padre in our wiki
16:11 szabgab along with screenshots
16:11 szabgab and include test-cases for manual testing
16:11 szabgab and/or links to the test script that test the feature
16:12 szabgab bowtie: if you'd like to help in that, or in trying to categorize the tickets we have according to features of padre
16:12 szabgab thewe are both very good thing to do
16:13 zenog bowtie: Great.
16:16 bowtie szabgad: as you have probably guessed, I am dyslectic, hence tickets seams a good idea, when I have something to contribute, where and what format will it need to be in?
16:17 szabgab bowtie: start by typing szTAB  :)
16:17 szabgab or szaTAB
16:17 szabgab anyway
16:17 szabgab look at the http://padre.perlide.org/trac/wiki/Features
16:18 szabgab I am reworking it but it already has several links to descriptionsof individual features
16:18 szabgab some are described well, some are almost empty
16:20 daxim left #padre
16:22 bowtie szabgad: what is szTAB or szaTAB, where is the readme?
16:23 szabgab bowtie: I mean type in sza and press TAB
16:23 szabgab in IRC
16:23 szabgab sorry for the confusion
16:24 bowtie szabgab, got it
16:24 bowtie szabgab, why , and not :
16:25 szabgab I guess it depends on the client
16:30 daxim joined #padre
16:31 szabgab hi daxim
16:32 szabgab in our list of furure features we have "IME - Multilingual Input Method Editor" any idea what that could be ?
16:33 daxim link?
16:33 szabgab http://padre.perlide.org/trac/wiki/Features
16:34 szabgab I am just eliminating the section of "Planned Features"
16:34 fenderson szabgab: there are only 6 pages of reports
16:35 szabgab fenderson: clarify pls
16:36 daxim if the wiki contributor means input method, then this belongs into the OS/windowing system layer
16:36 szabgab daxim: I was the one who added it
16:36 fenderson szabgab: nvm
16:36 szabgab I am asking what the hell could that mean?
16:36 fenderson not importent
16:36 fenderson i thought i'm going to see lots of pages
16:36 daxim I can't read your mind!
16:37 szabgab daxim: but I also think the meaning is that we need to allow typing in kanji
16:37 szabgab and hebrew
16:37 danlucraft left #padre
16:37 daxim that already works
16:37 daxim or does it?
16:37 * daxim tests
16:37 szabgab I was hoping this sentence has some meaning for you :)   more than it has for me
16:37 danlucraft joined #padre
16:37 fenderson anyway you can see i started doing what you told me, its little bit boring, i want to do something hard
16:37 fenderson that i'll learn from
16:38 fenderson szabgab: i think Sewi had a point
16:38 fenderson and i should try solve bugs or just try and write what happend for me
16:38 fenderson szabgab: what do you think?
16:38 Sewi fenderson: You're learning things about Padre while doing this (if you read what you're working on :) )
16:38 daxim I'm upgrading to 0.84
16:40 daxim input methods already work
16:40 zenog daxim: What do you mean by that?
16:41 fenderson Sewi: i want to expand my knowledge about padre
16:41 daxim I type stuff, and it appears in the window!
16:41 daxim what did you expect?
16:41 szabgab daxim++
16:41 Sewi fenderson: You don't reach this target if you read feature pages?
16:42 zenog ... crazy stuff ...
16:42 fenderson correct be, but i think that i'll learn more from trying to fix bugs
16:42 fenderson and writing about them and reading what other people wrote
16:42 Sewi fenderson: Go ahead, we have many tickets.
16:42 szabgab fenderson: you know, once you collected all the tickets related to a feature, let's say RefactoringPerl5
16:42 fenderson correct me if i'm wrong*
16:43 szabgab then you could actually try to see if the features work or not
16:43 fenderson ok i'll do it by feature
16:43 fenderson i'll go over the tickets over and over again by features
16:43 fenderson and each time i'll finish one
16:43 szabgab but you know first you need to learn how to do the "easy" stuff, and I don't think that this is *that* easy
16:43 ok22_ left #padre
16:44 fenderson i'll see if its working according to what we expect from it
16:44 szabgab just stop talking, close the phone and start doing
16:44 fenderson already started and you can se..
16:44 fenderson see*
16:44 szabgab yes, I see
16:46 ok22_ joined #padre
16:51 fenderson now that i finished collecting all the refactoring tickets
16:51 fenderson i have a question
16:51 fenderson why cant i see all that tickets?
16:52 fenderson why do i see only part of them?
16:52 Sewi fenderson: Click on "view tickets" in the menu line of trac
16:53 fenderson i'm there
16:53 fenderson its not all the tickets
16:53 fenderson if i'm going from 1-n by URL
16:53 Sewi What are you missing?
16:53 fenderson i'll have all the tickets
16:54 fenderson ohh i got it
16:54 Sewi oh, now I understand: You mean active and closed
16:54 fenderson i only looked on the active tickets
16:54 fenderson should i go over all of them?
16:54 Sewi szabgab: He's right, we have no "all tickets" report in trac
17:00 Sewi as needed
17:02 fenderson can i help doing it?>
17:02 fenderson i'll do my best
17:03 Sewi doing what?
17:04 fenderson a button for all tickets
17:05 fenderson or something like that
17:05 fenderson i think it should be easy no?
17:05 fenderson i pretty sure
17:05 Sewi If you have a good understanding of trac and trac admin privileges, yes. But I think both of us would take long to work into trac to do it
17:06 fenderson i know no one will like it
17:06 fenderson but i'm whiling to do it
17:07 fenderson and working on it without stopping until its done :)
17:07 Di-ima left #padre
17:07 bowtie szabgab, I will start with a local trac install, that way I will be able hack around in my own little world, with out causing harm
17:07 fenderson anyway now that i have all the tickets for refactoring
17:07 Sewi fenderson: Click on the "admin" menu option in trac.
17:08 Sewi If you don't have it, you're done :-)
17:08 fenderson i should see if its working the way we expect ?
17:09 fenderson Sewi: i dont have it XD
17:09 fenderson :(
17:09 fenderson maybe on the next change
17:09 Sewi No, you need trac admin to add it.
17:09 Sewi better go ahead with the feature tickets
17:09 fenderson so can you answer my q?
17:10 fenderson i have all the tickets for refactoring,should i see if its working the way we expect ?
17:10 fenderson thats what i had to do?
17:10 fenderson have to do*?
17:10 Sewi Yes, first add then to the wiki page and then test it.
17:11 fenderson done adding
17:12 Sewi Now go through the open ones and check if they're still valid (if the bug is still alive)
17:12 fenderson ohh ok
17:12 fenderson btw its working
17:13 fenderson what is occurrences
17:14 fenderson ok i checked in google
17:14 fenderson anyway if i see that the ticket\bug is not active(solved)?
17:16 Sewi Write a comment to the ticket that you were unable to reproduce the bug
17:16 Sewi Drop a note in your calendar to re-check those tickets in 2-4 weeks and close them if noone complained until your recheck
17:17 fenderson how do i drop a note?
17:17 Sewi Even if it's still there, drop a comment if you found something new about the bug.
17:18 Sewi Open your personal calendar (usually a book of paper laying on your desk or some piece of software) and write a note on the page for (now + 4 weeks)
17:18 Sewi :-)
17:18 ispy_ left #padre
17:19 fenderson Sewi: XD ohh lol
17:19 fenderson i'm sorry but can you read that http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/8
17:19 fenderson ?
17:19 fenderson i think its not a bug report
17:20 fenderson cause he has a link to how is it work
17:20 fenderson and i see nothing wrong
17:20 Sewi No, it's a feature request
17:20 Sewi But I think we already have this
17:21 fenderson we have it
17:21 fenderson that where i linked it to
17:21 fenderson to the existing feature
17:21 fenderson so can we close it?
17:21 Sewi zenog wrote the last comment, you should ping him here and ask him
17:22 fenderson ok
17:22 Sewi Or simply look at the Padre refactor menu
17:22 fenderson i think he'll be here in few hours or even tomorrow
17:22 Sewi We have "rename variable", but not "rename method" - so this request is still open
17:24 bowtie left #padre
17:25 bowtie joined #padre
17:25 fenderson right
17:25 fenderson i know why
17:25 fenderson and i know how to do rename method
17:26 fenderson we have only var because its in a certain code block
17:26 fenderson the one you work on
17:26 fenderson but we can do the rename method the same way we search in files
17:27 fenderson "find in files"
17:27 Sewi Thats a big thing.
17:27 fenderson yes
17:27 fenderson cause its changing each file you have the method there
17:29 toi joined #padre
17:30 danlucraft left #padre
17:30 Sewi I'm unsure if #8 was meant for more than one file.
17:30 Hyppolit #8: Tool for refactoring code (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/8#comment:7 ]
17:31 Sewi I think renamin should cover sub foo as well as $self->foo and &foo
17:31 Sewi within one file
17:34 fenderson i know we're not talking about 1file
17:34 Sewi how do you know this?
17:35 fenderson i meant
17:35 fenderson that i know that if i change a method
17:36 fenderson it will have to be more than 1file
17:36 Sewi Don't know :) go on to the next ticket
17:38 szabgab #8 says 8within a project
17:38 Hyppolit #8: Tool for refactoring code (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/8#comment:7 ]
17:39 szabgab bowtie: I think you should not be tat afraid
17:39 szabgab you cannot make a lot of meessa as we have history and AFAIK regular users cannot delete revisions or pages
17:39 szabgab and we are here to help
17:40 szabgab but the trac also has a sandbox, look for it, the idea is that you can feel free to edit the sandbox, that's there fro people to play
17:41 szabgab I don't think we really need an "all tickets" you can always just type in
17:41 szabgab http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/ and add a number at the end
17:41 szabgab but I am checking some other thing
17:42 szabgab to create queries based on keywords in the tickets
17:47 Sewi How could a simple scalar text without any visual blessing on it be an object?
17:48 szabgab Sewi: what?
17:48 Sewi PluginHandle.pm, sub enable has "Padre Popularity Contest" as $self - and it's calling methods on it.
17:49 Sewi The same for other modules
17:49 Sewi s/modules/plugins/
17:49 szabgab then it is a class but that string does not sound like a good class name
17:49 Sewi It isn't
17:49 Sewi It's a plugin description
17:49 szabgab $x = "Foo";   $x->new   is the same as Foo->new
17:51 Sewi But why do we have/use "Padre Populartiy Contest" as class names?
17:52 szabgab I don't think that's correct
17:52 szabgab are you sure?
17:52 Sewi pretty sure. Just trying to debug things
17:53 Sewi Maybe I mixed something up during development
17:53 Hyppolit #1171: Regex Editor highlighting seesme to be broken (new defect) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1171#comment:1 ]
17:58 Sewi Ok, I'm completly confused. The line $plugin->{object} = $object; changes the value from the expected Padre::Plugin::PopularityContest to the description.
18:00 Hyppolit #1171: Regex Editor highlighting seesme to be broken (new defect) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1171#comment:2 ]
18:02 Hyppolit #1170: Add undo to the regex editor (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1170#comment:3 ]
18:03 mj41_nb left #padre
18:04 szabgab Sewi: could you please take a look at the http://padre.perlide.org/tra​c/wiki/Features/RegexEditor page
18:05 szabgab I added a custom query to find all the entries with RegexEditor in the keywords field
18:05 Sewi looks good
18:06 szabgab then I can elimanete the links to the individual tickets
18:06 szabgab and people can just update the tickets to include the name of the feature
18:06 Sewi ok
18:07 droidica joined #padre
18:07 szabgab fenderson: can you check it please?
18:10 zenog &
18:10 zenog left #padre
18:10 fenderson ok
18:12 katodroid left #padre
18:13 fenderson i see what it does
18:13 fenderson but i dont understand what is it for
18:14 szabgab if we just add the numbers to the feature pages we don't have a way from the ticket, to know which feature it refers to
18:15 Steffen joined #padre
18:15 szabgab if we add the namse of the related features to the tickets then with this query we can still find the tickets
18:15 szabgab so we have a two way reference btween ticket and feature
18:15 szabgab description
18:16 szabgab feature description I mean
18:17 szabgab fenderson: was that clear?
18:18 szabgab though I think I'd probably prefer a drop-down list in the ticket page
18:18 dodathome joined #padre
18:23 fenderson yes i go it'
18:23 fenderson then we can search by feature
18:23 fenderson or the other way
18:23 fenderson by tickets
18:23 szabgab I am going to experiement with our trac installation now to see if I can add a custom field
18:23 fenderson than we have both ways
18:23 szabgab so it might be going up and down for a while
18:23 fenderson ok that would be great
18:28 bowtie szabgab, fenderson, are you going to define the feature description, ie Major Caps PLUGIN, Normal Leading Cap ie PerlCritic, minor no caps level
18:30 danlucraft joined #padre
18:30 Hyppolit svn: r14090 | Sewi++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14090
18:30 Hyppolit Land the plugin hook system and the first two hooks.
18:30 Hyppolit
18:30 Hyppolit The test is passing now.
18:30 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/ trunk/Padre/lib/Padre/Plugin/ trunk/Padre/xt/
18:31 Hyppolit #1168: Allow plugins to hook into the on_save method (closed enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1168#comment:4.5 ]
18:33 szabgab bowtie: I am not sure I understand your question
18:34 szabgab fenderson: Sewi bowtie please look at a ticket, any ticket
18:34 szabgab there is now a new field called Feature
18:34 Hyppolit #1170: Add undo to the regex editor (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1170#comment:4 ]
18:36 szabgab the problem with this, as I can see is that it might be harder to build the query for it
18:36 szabgab I'll check it in a few minutes, I have to go now
18:41 bvierra|l left #padre
18:45 bowtie szabgab, ok I see, its just a drop down list, but the question still remains, what should be on the list, and what format should the text take.
18:53 bvierra|l joined #padre
18:54 szabgab if we are going to use that drop-down list then I 'll be the only one who can ad to the list, not perfect but it needs to be in the config file of trac
18:54 szabgab what text are you talking about?
18:54 bowtie szabgab, is this a feature or Component
18:56 szabgab We are already using the "Component" field for somethings so I am did not think it is a good idea to reuse it
18:56 szabgab but maybe it is better
18:56 szabgab just add all the features as components?
18:56 moghar joined #padre
18:56 bowtie szabgab, the format of the text ie SVN GUI PLUGIN or Tidy Critic just feature component
18:57 szabgab bowtie: I am sorry I don't understand, the text where?
18:57 bowtie szabgab, so as to avoid the problem the GUI has with Session and Project
18:58 bowtie szabgab, what the text looks like
18:58 bowtie szabgab, how its presented
18:59 bowtie szabgab, in the lookup list
19:00 bowtie szabgab, or are you going to stick with Camel
19:01 Hyppolit #1170: Add undo to the regex editor (new enhancement) [ http://padre.perlide.org/t​rac/ticket/1170#comment:5 ]
19:02 bowtie szabgab, RegexEditor or REGEX_Editor etc
19:02 szabgab ah,s lowly I understand
19:03 szabgab We'll use CamelCase as they are also wiki pages
19:03 bowtie szabgab, REGEX_Editor thus REGEX_Display
19:03 szabgab though I think I never tried to create a page with underscore
19:05 szabgab now I tried and underscore also works
19:05 szabgab now let me check if I can move or rename pages or not
19:05 szabgab as we already have plenty of pages under Features/ wit camel case
19:05 bowtie szabgab, is this fixed, or can you change this, its only a suggestion, there are probably other formats that could be considered
19:06 szabgab I tried having a space between the words but did not try too hard
19:07 szabgab Apparently I can create pages with space in the name, but can I link to it?
19:08 bowtie szabgab, I don't like spaces, reminds me of my youth with msnot
19:09 szabgab they make things more readable though
19:11 bowtie szabgab, I would prefer an underscore as suggested above, enabling a 3 tire Function name to be generated
19:11 szabgab what is a 3 tire Function name?
19:12 bowtie szabgab, sorry for lack of names, still coming to terms with code, still reading
19:13 Hyppolit svn: r14091 | szabgab++ | http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14091
19:13 Hyppolit Update the messages.pot file
19:13 Hyppolit trunk/Padre/share/locale/
19:13 bowtie szabgab, ie REGEX_Editor_format or REGEX_Editor_colour
19:15 bowtie szabgab, this type of naming convention keeps like minded Features together
19:16 szabgab bowtie: I don't think we need to go that much into details
19:16 bowtie szabgab, cool, only  suggestion
19:17 szabgab At least for now we just keep it "Regex Editor" and I am still playing with the format
19:17 szabgab bowtie: thanks
19:18 daxim left #padre
19:20 Di-ima joined #padre
19:22 LeK joined #padre
19:31 szabgab the padre web site will be down for a while for upgrade
19:37 katodroid joined #padre
19:42 danlucraft1 joined #padre
19:42 danlucraft left #padre
19:43 droidica left #padre
19:44 danlucraft joined #padre
19:44 danlucraft1 left #padre
19:46 szabgab it is still running the upgrade ...
19:46 danlucraft left #padre
19:46 danlucraft joined #padre
19:51 bowtie left #padre
20:04 bowtie joined #padre
20:14 szabgab hmm I think I managed to upgrade trac
20:14 El_Che you upgraded us to zero tickets :)
20:15 szabgab man, you frightened me now
20:15 szabgab don't worry, the tickets are still there
20:16 Sewi szabgab: Don't know what you did... but my trac is German now :)
20:16 El_Che I have done too many upgrades in the past to remember things that frighten people :)
20:16 szabgab yeah, it has now translations
20:16 szabgab El_Che:  Sewi so glad you are here
20:17 Sewi looks strange, about 90% of the trac strings are translated - but all the tickets English :)
20:17 szabgab no tell me , what do you think about naming the  Features/* pages ?
20:17 szabgab Should we stickk with the camel case as we have them now, should we use underscores  between the words or should we go with spaces?
20:17 szabgab Sewi: and can you change your languages?
20:17 El_Che url?
20:18 szabgab El_Che:  what url?
20:18 El_Che features, found it
20:18 szabgab this http://padre.perlide.org/trac/wiki/Features
20:20 szabgab the 'Syntax highlighting is the only one with space
20:20 szabgab that I did as an experiment
20:21 El_Che that link is broken
20:21 El_Che (the only one
20:21 El_Che )
20:21 El_Che as in "not clickable"
20:21 szabgab El_Che: refresh
20:21 Sewi I personally don't like camel case, but we have everything in camel, so why change it?
20:21 El_Che spaces; no good
20:22 El_Che %20 is awfull in urls
20:22 El_Che although _ has more a perl feeling, leave in camecase
20:22 El_Che don't bother
20:22 El_Che as long it is coherent is it ok
20:22 szabgab I have upgraded trac so I can rename pages with history :)
20:23 szabgab the point is that we would use the same strings in the tickets
20:23 Sewi szabgab: Language change works.
20:23 El_Che the thing is, does the spam thing work now?
20:23 szabgab in the Component field
20:23 szabgab El_Che:  I have not tried that yet
20:23 El_Che I know
20:24 El_Che I am being an ass
20:24 El_Che :)
20:24 szabgab I am trying to streighten out the list of features
20:24 szabgab and how we can connect tickets to features and then back in an easy way
20:25 szabgab the only reason I used camel case is because I did not know I can use _ or space
20:25 szabgab but now I tried and managed both of them
20:26 szabgab of course we can leave the page with camel case and have the links text with space
20:26 szabgab and I am tired now
20:26 El_Che that makes sense
20:27 szabgab El_Che: and how should they appear in the 'Component' field of the tickets?
20:27 szabgab I added now one as  'Features: Regex Editor'
20:28 El_Che is feature a component?
20:28 El_Che is a feature a component?
20:28 szabgab not exactly but if I added a new field to Trac then only I will be able to add new values
20:29 El_Che look at the least you are combining different concept in the same list
20:29 El_Che good we are not stringly typed :)
20:29 szabgab and we will need to create a search for  each string
20:29 El_Che strongly
20:29 szabgab we are stringly typed :)
20:29 szabgab not strongly :)
20:29 El_Che anyway, I would rid of the feature there
20:29 El_Che the component is the regex editor
20:30 szabgab Perl is a stringli typed language.
20:30 El_Che component has a physical ring to it, a noun, feature is more like an adjective
20:30 szabgab yeah, that will make it easier to pick
20:30 szabgab I know it is not perfect
20:31 El_Che if you follow the line of though everything on that list is eventually a feature
20:31 szabgab but I tried adding a new field and did not like the way it worked
20:31 szabgab more or less
20:31 El_Che is this your vengence for my ui policing of lately?
20:31 El_Che :)
20:31 szabgab ok, so I get rid ot the Feature part
20:31 El_Che yeah
20:32 szabgab why would it be ?
20:32 El_Che anyway, trac looks ok
20:32 El_Che not broken
20:32 El_Che was it a big upgrade? new things? looks kind of the same
20:34 szabgab 0.11 to 0.12
20:35 szabgab there are changes
20:35 szabgab as I can see I need to press "Modify ticket" if I want to have the editor open
20:37 szabgab ah the space is now killing me
20:37 szabgab I got
20:37 szabgab Editor' tickets
20:40 danlucraft left #padre
20:41 szabgab wow, now this is much better
20:42 szabgab look at http://padre.perlide.org/tra​c/wiki/Features/RegexEditor
20:42 szabgab 2 tickets are listed by the query I added
20:42 szabgab btw the post-commit hook of Trac is now broken
20:43 szabgab ohoh and I cannot ammend (or re-open) closed tickets
20:43 szabgab apparently they started to enforce the workflow :)
20:44 El_Che mm
20:44 El_Che no reopen is bad
20:44 El_Che that how we clean them
20:45 szabgab good, I can't even open a new ticket :)
20:46 szabgab oh, I was logged out
20:47 szabgab hmm, I wonder what happened
20:47 moghar left #padre
20:47 moghar joined #padre
20:48 szabgab ok, I could modify the closed ticket once I logged in
20:48 szabgab I think it is time to go to sleep
20:48 szabgab night &
20:48 El_Che yo!
20:48 El_Che thx for the upgrade
20:54 fenderson szabgab: how can i search by feature?
21:06 Sewi fenderson: He left already
21:06 Sewi Did you find a bug where you'ld like to work on?
21:06 fenderson Sewi: not yet
21:06 fenderson but i will
21:06 fenderson i went back from the gym
21:06 Sewi You could try to add tidy-before-save to the tidy plugin if you want
21:06 fenderson and i continue now
21:07 fenderson what is tidy-before-save?
21:07 Sewi You know perl tidy?
21:07 fenderson yes
21:07 fenderson module
21:08 Sewi did you use it?
21:08 fenderson fw times
21:08 fenderson few
21:08 Sewi ok
21:09 Sewi I added save hooks for plugins two hours ago. You may want to look at commit r14090
21:09 Hyppolit Changeset #14090 http://padre.perlide.org/trac/changeset/14090
21:09 fenderson ok you mean revision
21:09 fenderson 1sec
21:09 Sewi and at the Padre/Plugin/Test.pm for understanding how it works / it is used.
21:10 Sewi Then go to the Padre-Plugin-Tidy and add a hook that tidies the file before it's saved. Should be a ~3 lines solution.
21:10 fenderson םל
21:11 fenderson ok
21:11 Sewi When you did this, Alias could use it to test plugin config options - and we're ready to release :-)
21:11 fenderson and i think i'll read the module again
21:11 fenderson to refresh me memory
21:11 El_Che fenderson: starting bug hunting? Have look at several. Some look easy but aren't and vice-versa :)
21:11 fenderson El_Che: ok i'll beware :)
21:12 El_Che I have broken my teeth a few times trying to fix the broken X11 pasting
21:12 Sewi El_Che: me too :-9
21:12 Sewi :-)
21:13 fenderson lol XD
21:13 fenderson i'll try not to break my teeth also ;)
21:13 Sewi fenderson: It should be not too hard but it required some reading and searching. You might want to use source code from the Test.pm plugin as a template for your change to the Tidy plugin
21:14 El_Che Perltidy is a nice plugin to work on
21:14 fenderson ok
21:14 fenderson i think i'll use swayerX to
21:14 fenderson too*
21:14 El_Che I added long ago the save cursor thing there, but it does not seem to work always nowadays
21:18 El_Che fenderson: not yet a ticket, but may be interesting. The perltidy plugin always open the output window that's emty
21:18 El_Che that's annoying becaue it hides the syntax winodw
21:18 El_Che panel
21:19 fenderson so you tried to fix it?
21:19 El_Che not yet
21:20 moghar left #padre
21:20 moghar joined #padre
21:26 Steffen left #padre
21:27 Sewi left #padre
21:27 Sewi joined #padre
21:28 dodathome left #padre
21:28 toi left #padre
21:30 Sewi gn8
21:31 Sewi left #padre
21:31 Sewi joined #padre
21:37 Sewi left #padre
21:38 Steffen joined #padre
21:54 pece2 left #padre
22:02 Steffen left #padre
22:05 dapatrick left #padre
22:11 mib_osxt95 joined #padre
22:13 Steffen joined #padre
22:13 mib_osxt95 How does one insert command line arguments to test a project?
22:15 mib_osxt95 or run a project
22:15 El_Che tools - preferences
22:15 Alias__ I don't think you can configure project-level options
22:17 mib_osxt95 Thanks
22:18 El_Che therenp
22:18 El_Che np
22:19 mib_osxt95 I'm using ubuntu, the padre I downloaded doesn't have a <tools> menu.
22:20 kaare left #padre
22:22 mib_osxt95 Thanks, found it!
22:24 Alias__ Global or file level only
22:24 Alias__ For now anyway
22:37 El_Che Alias__: is preferences safe again to touch? (e.g. for the language choice move?)
22:46 Alias__ I'm working on Preferences 2.0
22:46 Alias__ Not really touching the original at all
22:46 Alias__ I wanted to get it to some basic functional level, make it the "main" preferences, then start fiddling
22:47 Alias__ I've got all the fields set up now, and they should load from config ok
22:47 Alias__ I'll have a play with saving to config today
22:47 El_Che nice
22:47 Alias__ Take a look at it
22:47 Alias__ Tools -> Preference 2.0
22:48 Alias__ It's buggy, but most fields should be loading
22:48 Alias__ El_Che, have you used wxFormBuilder yet?
22:50 El_Che no, I need to get into that
22:51 El_Che prefs2.0 look pretty complete
22:51 Alias__ It only supports basic fields
22:52 Alias__ So the magic mime-type syntax highlighting stuff is broken, and the Guess Indentation button doesn't work
22:52 Alias__ I think this is kind of positive though
22:52 Alias__ Preferences shouldn't really be doing some of the stuff it's doing
22:52 Alias__ And we should move the Perl options into one place
22:52 Alias__ I'm happy to kill off the syntax highlight page
22:52 Alias__ And just make a toggle for perl in particular
22:53 El_Che The concept of the mime-type prefs is broken in prefs 1.0 so no biggie
22:53 Alias__ yup
22:54 mib_osxt95 left #padre
22:54 Alias__ If you're happy to put time into Prefs 2.0 to help debug it, we could make it the main feature for 0.86 and land it earlier
22:57 Alias__ My main annoyance at the moment is that there's no option for treebooks in wxFormBuilder
22:58 El_Che yeah, sure, interested in that bit. Not a lot of time, but just tell me wat parts are safes to touch and i'll work on that
22:58 Alias__ I need another day before that's the case
22:58 El_Che cool stuff
22:58 Alias__ But investigating wxFormBuilder is a good start
22:58 Alias__ You want version 3.1
22:58 Alias__ And the dialog file is fbp/Preferences.fbp
22:59 Alias__ That generates Padre::Wx::FBP::Dialog
22:59 Alias__ er
22:59 Alias__ That generates Padre::Wx::FBP::Preferences2
22:59 El_Che ok, copy-pasted
22:59 Alias__ And then Padre::Wx::Dialog::Preferences2 inherits from the generated file
22:59 Alias__ And adds any custom logic
23:00 Alias__ So just getting familiar with those three things is the best start
23:01 Alias__ Please don't start modifying the fbp yet
23:01 Alias__ I'm keeping it identical the current one so I can confirm I haven't missed anything
23:01 El_Che ok
23:04 pece left #padre
23:04 Alias__ Righto, off to work
23:04 Alias__ I'll try to get the Save and Advanced buttons working today
23:05 Alias__ Which gives us the first point at which we could reasonably land it
23:05 Alias__ Need to find a way to fix the list on the left too
23:05 Alias__ I guess...
23:05 Alias__ El_Che, would you agree that the main preferences dialog should ONLY contain IDE-wide prefs?
23:06 Alias__ i.e. We don't try to put project prefs or file prefs into it?
23:06 El_Che mmm
23:06 Alias__ And just do a separate dialog for project preferences, and then another for file preferences
23:07 Alias__ It's certainly going to be less work with formbuilder if the dialogs are more copious but less magic
23:07 El_Che let me think about it
23:07 Alias__ There must be some precedents in Eclipse and other places
23:07 El_Che I agree on principle, but projects prefs are difficult
23:07 Alias__ I'll have a look at my eclipse install at work
23:07 El_Che netbeans:
23:08 Alias__ Why difficult?
23:08 El_Che mains prefs = IDE
23:08 El_Che project= right  click preferences
23:08 Alias__ oh
23:08 El_Che because in java you have a main package
23:08 El_Che that is shown in the ide
23:08 El_Che I'll have a look tomorrow
23:08 Alias__ We have the drop down thingy on the search box in the directory tree...
23:08 Alias__ But that's not really good enough
23:09 Alias__ There's also the option of jamming it in the Perl drop down
23:09 Alias__ But not necesarily good enough either
23:09 Alias__ Anyways, off to work
23:09 Alias__ Back on other nick shortly
23:10 El_Che yo
23:10 LeK left #padre
23:28 Steffen left #padre
23:35 Alias \o
23:42 El_Che that's fast
23:42 El_Che I remember a lot of driving from my visits to australia
23:42 El_Che :)
23:45 El_Che going to bed
23:45 El_Che 12:45 here
23:48 katodroid left #padre

| Channels | #padre index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary