Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #parrot, 2008-05-26

Parrot | source cross referenced

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:07 dalek r27809 | jkeenan++ | trunk:
00:07 dalek : Delete unnecessary import of Getopt::Long.
00:07 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27809
00:20 Limbic_Region joined #parrot
00:22 bsb joined #parrot
00:26 Theory joined #parrot
00:39 dalek r27810 | jkeenan++ | searchdocs:
00:39 dalek : Extract subroutines from tools/docs/search-ops.pl and place them in lib/Parrot/Docs/SearchOps.pm.
00:39 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27810
00:42 Zaba_ joined #parrot
00:52 Zaba joined #parrot
00:56 Zaba_ joined #parrot
01:02 Zaba joined #parrot
01:05 braceta joined #parrot
01:23 bacek_ joined #parrot
01:36 gmansi joined #parrot
01:40 Ademan joined #parrot
01:49 Zaba_ joined #parrot
01:50 bacek_ hi there
01:50 purl niihau, bacek_.
01:50 bacek_ purl: seen pmichaud?
01:50 purl pmichaud was last seen on #parrot 11 hours and 53 minutes ago, saying: not all of the "syntactic sugar" options work yet, though.
02:02 bacek_ rakudobug?
02:02 purl rakudobug is mailto:rakudobug@perl.org
02:37 bsb joined #parrot
02:45 dalek r27811 | jkeenan++ | searchdocs:
02:45 dalek : Begin to add tests for Parrot::Docs::SearchOps.
02:45 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27811
02:52 Zaba joined #parrot
02:52 bsb joined #parrot
02:53 tetragon joined #parrot
03:03 bacek_ joined #parrot
03:26 dalek r27812 | jkeenan++ | searchdocs:
03:26 dalek : Add some dummy copy files for testing.  Add tests for Parrot::Docs::SearchOps.
03:26 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27812
03:30 bacek_ joined #parrot
03:39 Zaba_ joined #parrot
04:17 bacek_ joined #parrot
04:18 bacek_ joined #parrot
04:18 bacek_ hi again
04:18 purl oh, you're back!
04:18 bacek_ purl: you are dump robot!
04:18 purl ...but purl is a buggy piece of shit or a flooterbuck...
04:19 Infinoid haha
04:19 * Infinoid pats purl
04:19 * purl pats Infinoid back, harder
04:20 Infinoid hopefully I will have some time tomorrow for PDD13
04:21 bacek_ me just implemented dies_ok and lives_ok in Test.pm
04:24 * bacek_ hates stupid meetings..
04:24 bacek_ And I attending on one of them.
04:33 bacek_ pdd13?
04:33 purl it has been said that pdd13 is obviously the goal, but docs/parrotbyte.pod also doesn't look quite right
04:33 bacek_ t/spec/S29-num/int................................ Failed 5/58 subtests
04:33 bacek_ hmm... Looks like someone broke integers
04:39 * Tene has a handfull of commits pending for another couple of days until I have internet access again.
04:41 Tene got arrays working in cardinal, a little work on some of the classes
04:43 Tene going to try to rework the class hierarchy a bit to closer match what I can see of ruby's
04:43 Tene The rubypackage in fedora has very little documentation
04:47 bacek_ Tene: you use some kind of astral connectivity?
04:47 Tene ssh on my phone.
04:48 Tene I haven't gotten my laptop connected through it, and I haven't cared to try again.
04:50 Tene Oh, I should also work on hashes.
05:43 Zaba joined #parrot
05:46 bacek_ joined #parrot
05:54 barney joined #parrot
06:07 uniejo joined #parrot
06:14 bacek_ S29?
06:14 purl S29 is http://svn.pugscode.org/pugs/​docs/Perl6/Spec/Functions.pod
06:36 bacek_ sub dbl(Int $i) { $i*2; };
06:36 bacek_ my @a = (1..3);
06:36 bacek_ say dbl(2);
06:36 bacek_ say dbl(@a[2]);
06:37 bacek_ Died on second call in TYPECHECKPARAM
06:42 spinclad (of course @a[2] is 3, but no matter)
06:45 bacek_ spinclad: :)
06:52 AndyA joined #parrot
06:58 bacek_ joined #parrot
07:00 ejs joined #parrot
07:06 Zaba_ joined #parrot
07:12 iblechbot joined #parrot
07:35 IllvilJa joined #parrot
08:15 cosimo joined #parrot
09:07 ejs joined #parrot
09:37 masak joined #parrot
09:38 ejs joined #parrot
10:12 cognominal bacek, jonathan is doing a lot of change to objects. I too have problem, with TYPECHECKPARAM
10:13 moritz I just tried to get a small grammar working in rakudo, and atm it's a total mess
10:13 moritz either all the syntaxes I tried are unsopported or broken, or I got stuff like "invoke() not implemented in class 'Hash'"
10:14 moritz let's wait 'til after the refactoring
10:14 moritz than I'll flood rakudo with bug reports/test cases
10:15 Ivatar joined #parrot
10:24 cognominal jonathan is in its way back home, probably
11:01 UltraDM joined #parrot
11:12 ruoso joined #parrot
11:30 Zaba joined #parrot
11:38 braceta joined #parrot
11:52 iblechbot joined #parrot
11:55 bacek cognominal, actually problem in not-yet-implemented lasy lists.
11:56 cognominal I have problems with  TYPECHECKPARAM without Lazy List.
11:57 cognominal Thursday, I will be in the plane Paris-Toulouse with jonathan to go to the french workshop.
12:11 braceta joined #parrot
12:30 bacek seen pmichaud
12:30 purl pmichaud was last seen on #parrot 22 hours and 34 minutes ago, saying: not all of the "syntactic sugar" options work yet, though.
12:31 bacek hmm...
13:12 bacek anyone have idea about [] and it difference from List? Looks like we have to implement Array class...
13:17 Ivatar I think it creates a List reference, so it can be stored as a single item inside another list without merging the two.
13:23 bacek Ivatar, and how this two list can be distinguished without creating additional class? (Or adding additional field into List)
13:25 Ivatar references.  (basically pointers, but without direct access to the address).  I may be wrong on this, but that's the impression I got from reading the docs.
13:26 Ivatar I think [] vs. () is just syntactic sugar to tell the interpreter/compiler to keep it as a reference instead of merging.
13:33 Zaba joined #parrot
13:33 Ivatar http://feather.perl6.nl/syn/S02.html#Lists -- the second paragraph under that heading mentions something about an item context returning a list within a list.
13:37 bacek Ivatar, already reading it...
13:41 kid51 joined #parrot
13:42 dalek r27813 | jkeenan++ | searchdocs:
13:42 dalek : Add more tests for Parrot::Docs::SearchOps.
13:42 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27813
13:43 Casan joined #parrot
13:44 bacek pmichaud, when you arrive, please take a look at #54826.
13:44 bacek I can't commit some updates in t/spec without it
13:45 bacek good night everyone. Time to sleep
13:51 rdice joined #parrot
14:14 paco joined #parrot
14:15 dalek r27814 | jkeenan++ | searchdocs:
14:15 dalek : Add documentation, SVN Id line, coda.
14:15 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27814
14:48 cognominal is there some parrot history somewhere?
14:48 cognominal I mean a timeline of the parrot release
14:49 jonathan cognominal: The CPAN distribution page, maybe?
14:50 jonathan Actually, not on way back home today....having working meeting in Stockholm. Home tomorrow, work wednesday, fly to France Thursday.
14:51 cognominal I got svn -r1
14:52 cognominal r1 | ask | 2001-08-29 13:36:49 +0200 (Wed, 29 Aug 2001) | 2 lines
14:52 cognominal first readme.
14:53 jonathan wow
14:55 cognominal at the pace of a camel it get there
14:56 cognominal jonathan, I am doing PCT and the regexen in my presentation. So you can skip that.
14:56 cognominal presentations (plural)
14:56 jonathan OK.
14:56 jonathan Will think of other things to do in my Rakudo talk. :-)
14:57 cognominal I guess you have plenty of material
14:58 jonathan yeah
14:58 jonathan Though I spent some time showing people PCT and match objects this time around.
14:58 jonathan ~But you are covering those quite a bit.
14:58 jonathan I'll just pimp my mutables. ;-)
15:00 cognominal btw, I had problem with constants and TYPECHECK fonction    class Foo { constant toto = 3 };
15:07 cognominal http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/parrothist.html  # gotit
15:13 cjfields joined #parrot
15:13 jonathan cognominal: I didn't know they were implemented yet?
15:14 cognominal ok :)
15:14 jonathan (constant, that is)
15:14 cognominal so I should do   has $var = 4
15:14 alin joined #parrot
15:15 cognominal strange I remembered it compiled,
15:16 jonathan cognominal: Default values in attributes don't work yet either.
15:16 jonathan That is something I want to do real soon though.
15:17 jonathan But, mutable refactoring and stuff first.
15:17 cognominal one thing  that would be great is to die nicely on unumplement edstuff
15:17 cognominal yea, better finish that :)
15:17 jonathan I always try to do this, when I put stuff in.
15:18 jonathan Better than silent failure.
15:18 jonathan I've gotta refactor the type checking.
15:18 jonathan I know that fixing that up should fix at least one of the remaining broken tests. But I hope for more.
15:19 jonathan It's about four spectest_regression tests that fail.
15:26 kj joined #parrot
15:27 jonathan cognominal: Just think, you can badger me about all these things and try to talk me into fixing them at FPW. :-)
15:27 Psyche^ joined #parrot
15:33 pmichaud hello
15:33 purl que tal, pmichaud.
15:36 jonathan hi pm
15:36 pmichaud good afternoon, evening, or morning as appropriate :-)
15:36 jonathan Late afternoon, here in Stockholm.
15:36 pmichaud presentations went well?
15:37 jonathan Yes, I think so.
15:37 jonathan People seemed quite interested and asked lots of good questions.
15:37 pmichaud that's a good sign.
15:37 jonathan Thing there was some general interest in doing stuff with PCT as well as Rakudo.
15:37 jonathan s/thing//
15:37 jonathan Someone asked about code coverage support.
15:38 jonathan Others about implementing IO and SmallTalk with PCT.
15:38 pmichaud hmmm, Smalltalk would be interesting.
15:39 kj good afternoon
15:39 jonathan Some academic folks working on a langauge compiling down to JVM at the moment were interested in a Parrot backend too.
15:39 jonathan And people seemed generally happy to see the progess on Rakudo.
15:39 jonathan *progress
15:39 kj I just saw you talking about smalltalk. I think that shouldn't be too hard. except it's difficult to find a proper grammar specification for it
15:40 pmichaud I'm happy.  I'm very happy to see progress on mutables.
15:40 jonathan Well, if I'm doing it right. ;-)
15:40 pmichaud so far I think it looks pretty good.
15:40 jonathan OK, that's a good sign.
15:40 pmichaud will mutables get %!properties ?
15:40 jonathan Going to refactor type check stuff.
15:40 jonathan I can't call it %!properties in C. :-(
15:40 pmichaud well, the equivalent.  :-)
15:40 jonathan But I added a properties attribute last night.
15:41 jonathan Not using it yet, just initializing it.
15:41 pmichaud I remember when properties were built-in to every PMC :-)
15:41 jonathan Not quite worked out how to implement VAR() and .VAR macros just yet.
15:41 jonathan Oh, wait, I think I did have an idea for that.
15:41 pmichaud I was thinking a special Mutable/PMC
15:41 Theory joined #parrot
15:42 pmichaud kinda along the lines of what we were doing with .Super
15:42 jonathan You get a VarMutable PMC back, or something with a good name (I always come up with sucky names) that does Stuff do the Mutable PMC itself.
15:42 pmichaud exactly.
15:42 jonathan s/do/to/
15:42 jonathan OK, good.
15:42 jonathan Glad we're figuring out this stuff in the same kinda way.
15:42 pmichaud that seems like the best bet for now.
15:43 jonathan We might even be getting it right...
15:43 jonathan Anyway, may do the type check refactor and clean up initialization stuff by using :viviself better tonight or tomorrow during my connection wait in Prague.
15:44 teknomunk joined #parrot
15:44 jonathan Then I'll see what's failing out of spectest_regression.
15:44 pmichaud okay.  I got to thinking about it more and I think you don't need :viviself -- just bind
15:44 pmichaud i.e., create the appropriate mutable, then bind it to a PAST::Var with isdecl set
15:45 jonathan Right, but then your AST end up with a PAST::Op node in it, where we'd get a cleaner implementation with a PAST::Var.
15:45 jonathan The special case code in .= can probably go away then.
15:46 pmichaud well, if it's lvalue semantics we need, PAST::OP will have or need to get those
15:46 jonathan having a PAST::Var and using :viviself feels cleaner to me.
15:46 jonathan Have you a reason not to use it?
15:46 pmichaud well, :viviself generally says what to do if the symbol is PMCNULL
15:47 pmichaud I don't know if it will force vivification at that point.
15:47 pmichaud (in the sense of forcing the creation of the mutable)
15:47 jonathan Ah.
15:47 jonathan OK.
15:48 jonathan Does not using viviself also let us get rid of all the vivify branches? If so, that's certainly a good thing.
15:48 jonathan Oh, have to go now!
15:48 jonathan Back in a bit...
15:51 pmichaud yes, not using viviself means we can get rid of all of the vivify branches.
15:52 pmichaud and that's what I'd really like to do.  Essentially we're moving vivification from the PIR code into the variable/PMC, which is a good thing.
15:52 pmichaud well, we may still have vivify branches for keyed access
15:53 pmichaud and possibly for package globals
15:56 iblechbot joined #parrot
16:00 pmichaud I really need a way to determine if a class implements a particular method or not.  :-(
16:01 kj isn't that what 'does' do?
16:01 pmichaud 'does' does roles
16:01 pmichaud normally it would be 'can'
16:01 kj but that doesn't work?
16:01 kj 'can', that is?
16:01 pmichaud it works on instances of a class, but not the class itself
16:02 pmichaud $P0 = get_class 'Foo'
16:02 kj shouldn't that be implemented on the class pmc then?
16:02 pmichaud 'can' on a class PMC means something different.
16:02 pmichaud it asks whether the class PMC can do something, not whether instances can do it
16:02 kj ah I see
16:02 kj that makes sense
16:03 pmichaud I'll just write a helper function to do it for now.
16:03 kj what does 'has' do?
16:03 kj attributes?
16:03 purl attributes are immutable or transactional
16:18 moritz kj: yes
16:51 ejs joined #parrot
16:51 Psyche^ joined #parrot
16:54 Auzon joined #parrot
17:02 dalek r27815 | pmichaud++ | trunk:
17:02 dalek : [p6object]:
17:02 dalek : * It seems to be really difficult to reliably determine what methods
17:02 dalek :   a PMCProxy has available.  So, rather than "add method x only if
17:03 dalek :   it doesn't already exist", we do the add and ignore any "method
17:03 dalek :   already exists" exception that results.
17:03 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27815
17:13 japhb Any Mac OS X people about?
17:17 NotFound joined #parrot
17:17 NotFound Hello.
17:23 gryphon joined #parrot
17:35 Patterner japhb: depends on what you need them for...
17:36 japhb Patterner: simple question.  What is the proper capitalization of framework names?  'OpenGL.framework' or 'OpenGL.Framework' or 'OpenGL.FRAMEWORK' or ...?  I'm writing some porting documentation, and figured I might as well get it right.
17:39 Patterner Well, I'm not an expert, but from the Apple documentation I would say "OpenGL Framework" or "OpenGL framework"
17:40 Patterner but never "FRAMEWORK" :)
17:40 Patterner personally I would always use "OpenGL Framework"
17:43 japhb Fair enough.
17:47 dalek Conrad Schneiker | Parrot:
17:47 dalek link: http://www.perlfoundation.o​rg/parrot/index.cgi?parrot
17:53 japhb Do we have any Win64 users?
18:06 braceta_ joined #parrot
18:12 Zaba_ joined #parrot
18:14 pmichaud I propose that we have rakudo's "make test" target also run Parrot's codingstd and metadata tests.
18:17 dalek r27816 | pmichaud++ | trunk:
18:17 dalek : [rakudo]:
18:17 dalek : * Fix codingstds and metadata on rakudo files.
18:17 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27816
18:17 braceta joined #parrot
18:18 japhb pmichaud: definitely
18:18 purl Absolutely!
18:18 japhb purl, forget definitely
18:18 purl japhb: I forgot definitely
18:18 dalek r27817 | pmichaud++ | trunk:
18:18 dalek : [p6object]:
18:18 dalek : * Make 'register' a bit smarter about being passed a protoobject for a parent.
18:18 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27817
18:19 dalek r27818 | pmichaud++ | trunk:
18:19 dalek : [rakudo]:
18:19 dalek : * Improve the mapping of Parrot's built-in types to Rakudo types.
18:19 dalek : * Resolves RT#54796.
18:19 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27818
18:28 NotFound Soemone can test my last patch in #54602 on no-386?
18:42 dalek r27819 | bernhard++ | trunk:
18:42 dalek : [c99]
18:42 dalek : Clean up files in src/cpp.
18:42 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27819
18:56 parrot-poke joined #parrot
18:57 parrot-poke hey, "parrot-devel" on the web site still points to 0.6.1 instead of 0.6.2
19:17 wknight8111 joined #parrot
19:21 DietCoke someone sent an email, fixing it now.
19:22 DietCoke fixed
19:23 cjfields joined #parrot
19:24 cjfields pmichaud: r27818 also fixes RT#54724
19:24 cjfields pmichaud++
19:25 cjfields I'll close it out
19:25 pmichaud yes, it does -- thanks for catching that.
19:25 pmichaud I'm working on figuring out what's up with Parrot's parameters
19:25 wknight8111 Where should I put tests for PIR? languages/PIR/t?
19:26 DietCoke no.
19:26 wknight8111 i didn't think so, but I couldn't find a place that screamed "appropriate"
19:26 DietCoke compilers/imcc/syn ?
19:26 purl compilers/imcc/syn is probably fine I guess
19:26 DietCoke there isn't an awesome place atm, but that'll work
19:27 wknight8111 there isn't even a directory for compilers/imcc/syn yet. I should create it?
19:27 DietCoke hang on.
19:27 purl i think hang on. is this from the command prompt, or from within the ide?
19:27 DietCoke parrot/t/compilers/imcc/syn
19:28 wknight8111 oh, that makes good sense
19:54 japhb purl, forget hang on.
19:54 purl japhb, I didn't have anything matching hang on
19:54 japhb purl, forget hang on.
19:54 purl japhb: I forgot hang on.
19:55 dalek r27820 | Whiteknight++ | trunk:
19:55 dalek : [imcc] implementing #48549, allowing ".namespace" declaration to have empty brackets. Also adding 1 test to ensure this all works correctly.
19:55 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27820
19:55 * japhb finds macabre satisfaction in slowly trimming purl's memories
19:58 cognominal you had problem with HAL in a previous life?
19:58 japhb :-)
19:59 cognominal be HAL
20:01 japhb What bot does that?
20:01 cognominal purl, you ennemy
20:01 purl cognominal: what?
20:01 cognominal be thedude
20:01 purl Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
20:02 cognominal I forgot what PIR was acronym for :(
20:03 japhb Parrot Intermediate Representation, IIRC
20:04 cognominal ok, I thought that but was not sure, googl was not too helpful on that one
20:04 dalek r27821 | bernhard++ | trunk:
20:04 dalek : #43149 ([TODO] Fake header entry necessary in config/init/hints/linux.pm?)
20:04 dalek : i_lib_pthread seems to be unused.
20:04 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27821
20:05 japhb purl, PIR?
20:05 purl PIR is a bofh at tufts or http://www.pir.net or Passive Infra Red or Parrot Intermediate Language (and almost an acronym) or the Price is Right. or http://www.parrotcode.org/​docs/art/pp001-intro.html
20:05 japhb Interesting
20:05 Zaba joined #parrot
20:07 dalek r27822 | Whiteknight++ | gsoc_pdd09:
20:07 dalek : [gsoc_pdd09] updating to trunk r27820
20:07 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27822
20:07 japhb Is there a good section in config/gen/makefiles/root.in for additional dependencies for a runtime/parrot/library/foo.pbc file?  The corresponding .pir file .includes other .pasm and .pir files, so there should be additional make dependencies there ... but root.in contains several "dependencies" sections, and it's not clear to me where this type of additional dependency belongs.
20:09 whiteknight seen chromatic?
20:09 purl chromatic was last seen on #parrot 5 days and 17 hours ago, saying: You know, the usual.  [May 20 20:05:31 2008]
20:13 japhb For that matter, many .pir files .include a .pasm/.pir or two, and I don't think any of them have explicit make dependencies.  Should we add dependencies for all of them manually, or add some sort of autodepends for them?
20:18 dalek r27823 | bernhard++ | trunk:
20:18 dalek : Remove deprecation notice for resolved ticket RT#53606.
20:18 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27823
20:29 Zaba_ joined #parrot
20:52 Limbic_Region joined #parrot
21:02 Ademan joined #parrot
21:07 Zaba joined #parrot
21:15 ruoso joined #parrot
21:18 dalek r27824 | Whiteknight++ | gsoc_pdd09:
21:18 dalek : [gsoc_pdd09] setting up basic scaffolding for new GC.
21:18 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27824
21:21 Ademan joined #parrot
21:26 wknight8111 joined #parrot
21:27 Zaba_ joined #parrot
21:32 bacek morning all
21:32 purl morning, bacek
21:33 * Tene git svn rebase
21:35 bacek pmichaud, ping
21:35 pmichaud pong
21:35 bacek ho!
21:36 bacek pmichaud, can you commit patch from #54826
21:36 bacek please
21:37 pmichaud yes, I'm catching up on my backlog of rt tickets.
21:38 bacek pmichaud, thanks. There is few more patches. 'map', 'grep' and 'reduce' cleanup, etc
21:39 pmichaud right.  most of today I've been tracking down bugs in Parrot's calling conventions  :-(
21:39 bacek pmichaud, successfully?
21:39 dcat_ joined #parrot
21:40 pmichaud mostly identifying what's broken and what needs to change
21:41 japhb Ron Blaschke?
21:41 japhb Blaschke?
21:41 bacek pmichaud, result it 'everything broken and we should rewrite from scratch'? :)
21:41 japhb sigh.
21:41 pmichaud no, just that it needs a bit of a re-think, I think.
21:42 pmichaud and there are a couple of bugs (RT#54860, for instance)
21:43 Zaba joined #parrot
21:43 bacek pmichaud, I see similar thing as in #54860 on implementing map.
21:44 Auzon joined #parrot
21:46 bacek time to go to $otherjob...
21:47 pmichaud working on #54826 now  (just testing spectest_regression first)
21:50 bacek pmichaud, you have to remove 'skip 'dies_ok not implemented' in tests.
21:51 bacek some kind of dead-lock. I can't commit tests without new Test.pm :)
21:51 moritz bacek: you can modify them locally
21:52 moritz bacek: and send the two patches together
21:52 bacek yes, I have them modified. And they works with Test.pm from #54826.
21:52 dalek r27825 | pmichaud++ | trunk:
21:52 dalek : [rakudo]:
21:52 dalek : * Add dies_ok and lives_ok to Test.pm
21:52 dalek : * Patch courtesy Vasily Chekalkin <bacek at bacek.com>
21:52 dalek : * Resolves RT#54826 (bacek++)
21:52 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27825
21:53 bacek moritz, sorry. pmichaud and TimToady convinced me for commitbit in pugs ;)
21:54 moritz bacek: they have the better social skillz it seems ;)
21:55 bacek moritz, :) But I think sometime about your offer. So half of glory is yours ;)
21:55 bacek pmichaud, thanks for commit
21:55 moritz bacek: glory is overrated. Code matters ;-)
21:56 moritz well, and documentation
21:56 bacek moritz, yeah. But what about karma? :)
21:56 pmichaud code gets more karma.
21:57 bacek pmichaud, can I get commitbit to parrot? I promise to be good and careful ;)
21:57 moritz bacek: well, karma is nice, but I'd change all of my #perl6 or #parrot karma for any additionally implemented feature in rakudo, if I had the choice ;)
21:57 purl is nice, but i'd change all of my #perl6 or #parrot karma for any additionally implemented feature in rakudo, if i had the choice ;) has neutral karma
21:58 pmichaud bacek: see "Getting Commit Privileges" in docs/submissions.pod
21:58 pmichaud bacek: main thing is that we need a CLA for you
21:58 pmichaud CLA?
21:58 purl CLA is Contributor License Agreement or http://www.perlfoundation.org/​contributor_license_agreement
21:58 Theory joined #parrot
21:58 bacek moritz, which feature to you want? I can implement it for karma ;)
21:58 * bacek will code for karma ;)
21:58 bacek pmichaud, printed, signed and faxed?
21:59 pmichaud bacek: I don't make those rules.  :-)
21:59 pmichaud can be mailed instead of faxed.
21:59 bacek pmichaud, I understand...
21:59 pmichaud I don't know if they take scanned email copies or not.
21:59 bacek pmichaud, I'll read it.
21:59 moritz bacek: I think '.assuming' (currying) shouldn't be too hard once the formal parameters are well in place
22:00 bacek pmichaud, paper-mail is so last century
22:00 pmichaud moritz: agreed.
22:00 bacek moritz, I'll take a look
22:00 * bacek really have to go to $otherjob...
22:00 pmichaud bacek: I think it's a legal requirement to have an actual signature somehow.
22:00 bacek bye. See ya in couple of hours.
22:00 bacek pmichaud, ok.
22:11 clunker3 joined #parrot
22:21 Whiteknight joined #parrot
22:21 dalek r27826 | pmichaud++ | trunk:
22:21 dalek : [p6object]:
22:21 dalek : * When registering a parrotclass under a given protoobject,
22:21 dalek :   we shouldn't automatically put the protoobject under the
22:21 dalek :   parrotclass name.  Leave that to the caller to decide.
22:21 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27826
22:24 cognominal joined #parrot
22:24 japhb Speaking of CLA and commitbit ... I know my CLA has been received, and I saw at least one +1 for my commitbit on channel.  Who/what am I waiting on?
22:25 pmichaud I'm not sure.
22:26 japhb Header lines that drive me batty: 'typedef char String[81];'
22:30 dalek r27827 | pmichaud++ | trunk:
22:30 dalek : [rakudo]:
22:30 dalek : * Fix [] subscripts to use keyed_int.
22:30 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27827
22:31 dalek r27828 | tene++ | trunk:
22:31 dalek : [cardinal]
22:31 dalek : * Track object model changes in rakudo
22:31 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27828
22:31 dalek r27829 | tene++ | trunk:
22:31 dalek : [cardinal]
22:31 dalek : * Indexed variable access works
22:31 dalek : * array creation works
22:31 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27829
22:31 dalek r27830 | tene++ | trunk:
22:32 dalek : [cardinal]
22:32 dalek : * Fix nested array creation
22:32 dalek : * Add 'each' builtin
22:32 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27830
22:32 dalek r27831 | tene++ | trunk:
22:32 dalek : [cardinal]
22:32 dalek : * Add the 'methods' method to Object.
22:32 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27831
22:32 dalek r27832 | tene++ | trunk:
22:32 dalek : [cardinal]
22:32 dalek : * Drop the filename from ARGS
22:32 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27832
22:34 alin joined #parrot
22:38 Tene I still need a commit setting svn metadata on some new files.
22:39 cognominal joined #parrot
22:44 Casan joined #parrot
22:48 dalek r27833 | tene++ | trunk:
22:48 dalek : Fix svn properties on new test files.
22:48 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27833
22:57 Tene So, when implementing gather/take, where should I store the list while I'm building it?  Just generate a variable with an absurd unusual name?
23:03 DietCoke that sounds like a hack!
23:03 Tene Yeah, it does.
23:03 DietCoke tene: if you run the distro tests after doing an svn add but before doing the set, they'll fail.
23:03 DietCoke (that presumes remembering to run the tests, of course)
23:04 Tene That's why I'm asking for other ideas.  I've run into similar problems before, but I've been able to avoid solving this problem until now.
23:04 Zaba joined #parrot
23:04 Tene DietCoke: I can't figure out how to set svn properties with git-svn, and I make a foul mess of things when trying to work with svn directly.
23:06 DietCoke <shrug> git ain't supported, exactly. I'm not sure how you'd manage to screw it up with straight svn, but could help with that end of things.
23:09 Tene I can set the properties just fine with svn, but when trying to use svn for actual work, I can't seem to keep anything straight.  I commit things I don't intend to commit, etc.
23:10 Whiteknight Same here. I have such a hard time only committing a few files
23:10 Tene I suppose I could generate diffs from my git commits and apply those to an svn tree, but that's a painful process.
23:10 pmichaud well, since gather/take is supposed to be lazy, I've been thinking that it would tend to work using a coroutine somehow.  But that of course implies that we have lazy lists.
23:11 Auzon I usually run a 'svn diff' prior to committing. Also try 'svn ci' without specifying a commit message on the command line. It should bring up EDITOR which shows which files are changed
23:11 Tene pmichaud: so that approach would work fine for now, and can be re-worked once we have lazy lists?  Or is it not worth trying to implement before then?
23:12 pmichaud well, one could certainly make the 'gather' step eager for now
23:12 pmichaud and the argument to gather could then be a coroutine
23:12 Tene so then I need to learn about coroutines in parrot.  Okay.
23:12 pmichaud but I suspect that requires that we have appropriate exceptions for 'take', too
23:12 pmichaud i.e., it's the same problem as 'return'
23:12 Tene Ah.
23:13 dalek r27834 | Whiteknight++ | gsoc_pdd09:
23:13 dalek : [gsoc_pdd09] more scaffolding, function prototypes, etc.
23:13 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=27834
23:13 pmichaud let me re-check S04
23:16 pmichaud I wonder if 'take' is dynamically scoped -- i.e., can gather call a function that then performs 'take' ?
23:19 pmichaud if so, then that would likely be a different approach
23:23 Tene Hm.
23:24 Tene So coroutines are pending on exceptions from allisson?
23:24 pmichaud no, coroutines work fairly well in Parrot at the moment.
23:25 japhb New OpenGL patch set submitted to RT, for those interested in helping to test ...
23:31 dolmen joined #parrot
23:31 dolmen in PIR, how can I push a list in a list without ti to be flattened ?
23:35 tetragon joined #parrot
23:39 Tene pmichaud: are coroutines supported in PCT?
23:49 pmichaud Tene: not directly
23:49 pmichaud we can probably make something to do them, though.  basically a coroutine is anything with a .yield() in it.
23:50 Tene Hm.
23:50 Tene I'll look into it.
23:51 kid51 joined #parrot
23:53 pmichaud but that's why my earlier question about take being dynamic versus lexical in nature
23:54 Tene Yeah, that's important.
23:54 pmichaud regardless, we may end up implementing 'given' as a special PAST::Op type.
23:54 Tene Traveling again now.  Seeya.
23:54 pmichaud later

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Parrot | source cross referenced