Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #parrot, 2008-11-16

Parrot | source cross referenced

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:10 AndyA joined #parrot
00:26 jhorwitz joined #parrot
00:31 davidfetter joined #parrot
00:37 davidfetter joined #parrot
00:47 jimmy joined #parrot
00:49 rhr joined #parrot
00:51 jonathan bacek++ # patch
00:52 dalek r32681 | jonathan++ | lex2:
00:52 dalek : [rakudo] Update trans to check for Sub now that Closure is gone away.
00:52 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32681
00:54 Coke hurm. how can I make TEST_JOB magic work on tcl?
00:55 Coke hurm. nevermind.
01:00 rhr joined #parrot
01:05 jimmy joined #parrot
01:08 bacek_ jonathan: around?
01:09 bacek_ jonathan: there is also registering Closure class in src/classes/Code.pir on line 22. It should be removed, AFAIU.
01:18 bacek_ rakudo: say eval "my $x = 3"
01:18 polyglotbot OUTPUT[No handler to delete.␤current instr.: 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;as_post' pc 6052 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:1651)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;post_children' pc 1779 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:367)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;pirop' pc 3048 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:791)␤called from Sub
01:18 polyglotbot ..'parrot;PAST;Compiler;post_children' pc 1779 (sr...
01:18 bacek_ rakudo: say %*VM<version>
01:18 polyglotbot OUTPUT[Use of uninitialized value␤␤]
01:18 bacek_ rakudo: say %*VM.k
01:18 polyglotbot OUTPUT[Method 'k' not found for invocant of class 'Perl6Hash'␤current instr.: '_block11' pc 24 (EVAL_12:15)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;eval' pc 866 (src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:501)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;evalfiles' pc 1141 (src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:631)␤called from Sub
01:18 polyglotbot ..'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;command_line' pc 1320 (src/...
01:18 bacek_ rakudo: say keys %*VM
01:18 polyglotbot OUTPUT[␤]
01:18 bacek_ hmm
01:19 Coke that's a lot of failure output.
01:20 bacek_ Coke: for 'eval "my $x = 3"'?
01:20 Coke ... just now. from the bot.
01:21 bacek_ 5 lines.
01:21 purl hmmm... 5 lines is pushing it :)
01:21 bacek_ purl: bad girl
01:21 purl bacek_: what?
01:22 klapperl joined #parrot
01:31 cotto perl6: say %*VM<config><revision>
01:31 polyglotbot OUTPUT[get_pmc_keyed() not implemented in class 'Undef'␤current instr.: '_block11' pc 40 (EVAL_12:23)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;eval' pc 866 (src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:501)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;evalfiles' pc 1141 (src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:631)␤called from Sub
01:31 polyglotbot ..'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;command_line' pc 1320 (src/PCT/HL...
01:35 Coke src/exceptions.c has a reference to the old list.
01:35 * Coke wonders why ^C is not working on feather. wtf.
01:39 allison joined #parrot
01:44 chromatic joined #parrot
01:44 * Coke cries over his tcl memory explosions. :|
01:45 Tene Did we put "no memory explosions" on the board?
01:45 bacek_ joined #parrot
01:54 chromatic 4.0
01:57 silug joined #parrot
01:57 Whiteknight How often are we planning to have a major version change? Every year?
01:58 chromatic Yes.
01:58 chromatic If we use x.x release numbers.
01:59 Whiteknight okay
02:00 Whiteknight I have to put the 1.0 release into my hiveminder now
02:02 Whiteknight Who is the November release manager?
02:04 Whiteknight I got a branch here that needs a-mergin', but I don't want to do it so close to the tuesday release without permission
02:07 dalek r32682 | pmichaud++ | lex2:
02:07 dalek : [rakudo]:  There's no longer a Closure class.
02:07 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32682
02:10 Coke next week is c.
02:10 Coke and no, please wait until after release for trunk merging.
02:10 Whiteknight done
02:10 Coke ... unless it's teeny or super awesome.
02:10 * Coke supposes he should cast his GC votes.
02:10 * jonathan votes that GC gets faster
02:11 Coke wrong gc.
02:11 jonathan ;-)
02:11 * Coke would love if that other gc was faster, though. :|
02:14 chromatic Which branch is that you want to merge?
02:14 Whiteknight calling_conventions. I'm waiting till wednesday to do it
02:14 Whiteknight I may make a few more changes to it before then, since I have time now
02:15 Whiteknight want to rename Parrot_PCCINVOKE to Parrot_pcc_invoke_method_from_c_args
02:15 * Coke asks what folks here think of http://news.perlfoundation.org/2008/1​1/2008q4_grant_proposal_integrat.html
02:16 chromatic I'd like to ask Allison what she thinks of merging that branch tonight.
02:17 chromatic ... provided you're at a stable point.
02:17 Whiteknight I'll do it whenever people say to do it. The branch is stable now
02:17 pmichaud ...I'm a little concerned it might conflict with the lexicals branch merge.
02:17 Whiteknight at least, it's stable until I get my grubby hands back onto it
02:17 chromatic Is the lexicals branch merge ready for tonight?
02:17 chromatic Or will it be?
02:17 pmichaud it will be.
02:17 Whiteknight what does the lexicals branch do?
02:18 pmichaud I need to discuss over dinner, assuming we're doing a group dinner.
02:18 pmichaud I think the lexicals branch might break lua.
02:18 pmichaud lua seems to do some odd things with Closure PMCs, which don't really exist in the lexicals branch.
02:18 pmichaud (at least 'ack' reports quite a few Closure-related items in lua.)
02:19 pmichaud Whiteknight: the lexicals branch is a re-implementatio of Parrot's lexical handling in contexts
02:19 chromatic Lua has its own closure type.
02:19 Whiteknight oh, okay
02:19 pmichaud chromatic: yes, but it's a subclass of Closure
02:19 pmichaud which imcc no longer generates.
02:19 pmichaud (at least I think I saw that it was a subclass of Closure)
02:20 pmichaud I haven't tried it yet -- that's just what a quick 'ack' pointed out
02:20 dalek r32683 | chromatic++ | trunk:
02:20 dalek : [ops] Added the box opcode, which takes a primitive and turns it into an
02:20 dalek : HLL-appropriate PMC in one step.  This invalidated bytecode, so 'make
02:20 dalek : realclean' before you report any failing tests.
02:20 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32683
02:20 pmichaud my question, of course, is this a blocker to performing a trunk merge and/or release?
02:20 pmichaud (i.e., if we can't easily fix lua.)
02:21 bacek_ pmichaud: no... Lua doesn't build at all. Because of ".return" usage.
02:21 pmichaud a-ha!
02:21 pmichaud so it already broke before me.  That's good enough for me :-)
02:21 * jonathan has a working prefix:| for arrays
02:21 bacek_ I can try to fix it
02:22 bacek_ Who is Lua maintainer?
02:22 Coke does languages/LANGUAGES* say?
02:24 chromatic Francois and kjs
02:25 dalek r32684 | chromatic++ | trunk:
02:25 dalek : [t] Added tests for non-constant primitive boxing for box opcode too.
02:25 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32684
02:26 jonathan SEGV!
02:26 jonathan Damm.
02:26 Coke no whammies!
02:26 jonathan All I did was :named :flat...
02:28 pmichaud ...:named?
02:28 pmichaud why :named?
02:28 pmichaud prefix:| on arrays should just be :flat, yes?
02:28 jonathan pmichaud: |%h
02:28 jonathan I've got the array case working.
02:28 jonathan Then I was stupid enough to try and do the hash case too...
02:28 jimmy joined #parrot
02:29 pmichaud oh, that's going to be a bit ugly, isn't it?
02:29 pmichaud how can | know if it has an array or hash?
02:29 jonathan I was faking it for now, in the end we should probably make :flat work on captures maybe.
02:29 jonathan I was for now checking the sigil. But it's sick.
02:29 jonathan I think I'm just not going to bother...
02:29 Coke that's some sick sigil, yo.
02:30 pmichaud If we're doing that, I prefer that we just do arrays for now and save hashes for later.
02:30 jonathan Yeah
02:30 jonathan Works for me - I don't have to find/fix a segv...
02:30 nopaste "bacek" at 123.243.38.218 pasted "Big patch to replace .return with .tailcall in Lua" (479 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/14596
02:30 jonathan ooh, dinner time...
02:31 bacek_ Can someone apply s/\.return/.tailcall/ patch from  http://nopaste.snit.ch/14596 ?
02:31 pmichaud bacek_: does lua pass with that patch?
02:31 bacek_ Lua still broken, but at least it compiles...
02:31 jimmy hello, there is editor.in, and there is a line: pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)/*.ops ops2vim.pl , it is gened to: pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)\\*.ops ops2vim.pl,but i can't file where is gen code. can anybody help me?
02:31 pmichaud dinner time here
02:31 pmichaud bbiaw
02:31 Whiteknight bacek_: I'll take a look at that patch for you
02:32 Whiteknight since all the other parroteers are out eating dinner and having a good time without us
02:32 bacek_ Whiteknight: thanks. Patch is pretty straight forward
02:32 jimmy it is in Parrot::Configure::Compiler,but i don't know wich line!
02:32 bacek_ :)
02:32 * Coke gets that abms monkey off his back.
02:32 Coke ambs, even.
02:33 * Coke stares at the box opcodes.
02:33 bacek_ jimmy: hm. Can you rephrase your question?
02:34 bacek_ is TGE totally obsoleted???
02:35 Coke nope
02:35 Whiteknight bacek, what command should I use to apply this patch?
02:35 Coke tge is used by pheme & tcl, among others.
02:35 Whiteknight I'm not good at patching from the commandline
02:35 bacek_ Whiteknight: patch -p3 < file
02:35 bacek_ Whiteknight: from languages/lua
02:36 bacek_ Whiteknight: or patch -p1 < file from top-level parrot dir
02:36 jimmy bacek: I want which line do the changes
02:36 jimmy here is a line: pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)/*.ops ops2vim.pl , it is gened to: pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)\\*.ops ops2vim.pl
02:36 bacek_ Coke: ../../parrot ../../compilers/tge/tgc.pir --output=src/PASTGrammar_gen.pir src/PASTGrammar.tg
02:36 bacek_ Null PMC access in get_string()
02:36 bacek_ current instr.: 'parrot;TGE;Rule;__onload' pc 0 (TGE/Rule.pir:20)
02:37 Coke bacek_: what are you running to get that?
02:37 jimmy i means which is gen code line
02:37 bacek_ Coke: make in languages/lua
02:37 bacek_ jimmy: next one
02:37 purl hmmm... next one is good, "times arrow"
02:38 bacek_ This line is make's dependencies
02:39 Coke bacek_: I just did an svn up, realclean, build, cd languages/lua, and make complets with no errors.
02:39 bacek_ Coke: I'm in lex2 branch...
02:39 Coke .... that's a very important bit of information. =-)
02:40 jimmy what next one ?
02:40 purl next one is probably good, "times arrow"
02:40 bacek_ Coke: no. It's actually "master" which is "trunk"
02:40 Coke bacek_: trunk works here.
02:40 Coke r32684
02:40 Whiteknight does lua build?
02:40 bacek_ jimmy:  "pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)/*.ops ops2vim.pl" declares dependencies, how to build "pir.vim"
02:41 Coke in trunk? yes. and passes at least the first few tests.
02:41 bacek_ looks like I have very old checkout. Like 2 days old...
02:42 Whiteknight well lua isn't building for me, with the patch that bacek_ gave me, or in a pristine checkout I keep
02:42 Whiteknight nopaste?
02:42 clunker3 http://pasta.test-smoke.org/ or http://paste.husk.org/ or http://nopaste.snit.ch:8001/ or http://rafb.net/paste or http://poundperl.pastebin.com/ or http://paste.scsys.co.uk/
02:42 purl nopaste is at http://nopaste.snit.ch/ (ask TonyC for new channels) or http://rafb.net/paste or http://poundperl.pastebin.com/ or http://paste.scsys.co.uk/ or App::Nopaste or tools/dev/nopaste.pl or at http://www.extpaste.com/
02:43 nopaste "Whiteknight" at 69.136.75.101 pasted "Lua failure" (6 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/14597
02:43 Whiteknight that's in a pristine repo without the patch. With the patch fails very similarly
02:44 Coke and what does your line 21 look like?
02:44 Whiteknight line 21?
02:44 purl i think line 21 is open INFILE or die "Couldn't open '$INFILE\ that you asked me to.n";
02:44 Coke ... the line that is reported in your failure?
02:45 jimmy bacek_: i need the gen code
02:45 bacek_ time for "realclean"...
02:45 jimmy not the make file means
02:45 Coke Whiteknight: sounds like you need to rebuild parrot.
02:46 Whiteknight .const 'Sub' entry = 'luaopen__helpers'
02:46 Coke the .const syntax changed at some point in the last month.
02:46 Whiteknight ok
02:46 Coke have you done the standard realclean, rebuild dance?
02:47 jimmy here is a line: pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)/*.ops ops2vim.pl , it is gened to: pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)\\*.ops ops2vim.pl
02:47 jimmy i just want to which code do the change
02:47 bacek_ jimmy: ah, ok. I'll try to find
02:47 Whiteknight okay, I'll rebuild. Shows you how much I've been working in trunk lately
02:47 jimmy i try to find the code, but i can not find it
02:48 Whiteknight bacek.needs(commit_bit).priority(high);
02:48 * Coke kicks off a tcl spec test run to see how bad the memory leak is killing him. :|
02:48 jimmy go out now. please left message here.
02:49 jimmy thanks bacek_
02:49 bacek_ Whiteknight: not yet.
02:50 Whiteknight >:(
02:50 bacek_ I managed to built Lua.... Few segfaults in "make test"...
02:51 bacek_ bacek@icering:~/src/parrot/languages/lua$ make
02:51 bacek_ ../../parrot --output=src/lib/glut.pbc src/lib/glut.pir
02:51 bacek_ error:imcc:No such file or directory
02:51 bacek_ in file 'src/lib/glut.pir' line 69
02:51 bacek_ Is it expected???
02:51 bacek_ Or my "git svn" just goes insane?
02:51 Coke I see that as well, but I don't have glut.
02:52 bacek_ Coke: me either...
02:52 bacek_ # './parrot languages/lua/lua.pbc  languages/lua/t/functions_34.lua ' failed with exit code [SIGNAL 11].
02:52 bacek_ Lot of them...
02:52 purl lot of them are from double-bounce@
02:54 Coke lua?
02:54 purl i heard lua was at http://www.lua.org/
02:54 Coke lua/MAINTAINER
03:10 chromatic joined #parrot
03:11 Coke chromatic, my tcl is borked. halp.
03:13 Whiteknight my lua is borked too. rebuilding parrot doesn't help
03:14 Whiteknight bacek_: somebody else is going to have to deal with this patch for you, my system is too stupid to do it
03:14 bacek_ Whiteknight: no problems.
03:15 bacek_ polyglotbot: help
03:15 polyglotbot bacek_: Usage:
03:15 polyglotbot ..<(lua.past|ruby.paste|lolcode.pir|php.past|pynie​.pir|smalltalk.past|cardinal.parse|pheme.pir|small​talk.parse|python.paste|cardinal.pir|php.paste|bc.​paste|pynie|pheme.paste|punie|pipp|squaak.pir|tcl|​ruby.past|squaak.parse|bf|lua.paste|cardinal.past|​bc.pir|rakudo.parse|punie.past|pheme.parse|APL.pa
03:15 polyglotbot ..rse|squaak.paste|APL.paste|chitchat.past|bc.pars​e|abc.paste|tcl.paste|python|bc.past|pipp.paste|ph​p.pir|squaak.past|pynie.past|tcl.pir|rakudo.paste|​pynie.paste|perl6.pir|smalltalk.paste|php.parse|tc​l.past|pipp.past|lua|pynie.parse|python.parse|lua.​pir|bf.parse|perl6.parse|php|lolcode.paste|chitch
03:15 polyglotbot ..at|abc.parse|bf.paste|python.past|bf.pir|chitcha​t.paste|lua.parse|cardinal.paste|rakudo|APL|pheme|​APL.past|punie.parse|bf.past|abc.past|APL.pir|perl​6.past|ruby.parse|abc|tcl.parse|pipp.parse|perl6.p​aste|smalltalk.pir|smalltalk|punie.pir|lolcode.pas​t|bc|rakudo.past|ruby.pir|punie.paste|squaak|lolc
03:15 polyglotbot ..ode.parse|python.pir|perl6|cardinal|ru​by|rakudo.pir|pipp.pir|pheme.past|lolcod​e|chitchat.parse|chitchat.pir|abc.pir): $perl6_program>
03:15 * Coke smacks polyglotbot
03:16 Coke chromatic: aha. I'm only getting the memory errors on feather. :|
03:16 Whiteknight punie.pir
03:16 Whiteknight <punie.pir>
03:16 bacek_ lua: f = function () return 1 end; print(f .. "end")
03:16 Coke those test files complete on my intel/osx box.
03:16 polyglotbot RESULT[lua.pbc: _._:1: unexpected symbol near '( ( do { f = function () return 1 end'␤]
03:17 bacek_ lua: f = function () return 1 end print(f .. "end")
03:17 polyglotbot RESULT[lua.pbc: _._:1: 'eof' expected␤]
03:17 bacek_ lua: f = function () return 1 end
03:17 polyglotbot RESULT[lua.pbc: _._:1: 'eof' expected␤]
03:31 Psyche^ joined #parrot
03:35 s1n joined #parrot
03:45 jimmy_ joined #parrot
03:48 jimmy_ hello bacek_
04:36 chromatic joined #parrot
04:36 Coke chromatic: how goes on the wrong coast?
04:38 Andy joined #parrot
04:42 chromatic Coasterific.
04:43 Coke way to keep google from getting damp.
04:43 particle joined #parrot
04:44 Coke ... Do you have any idea how much damage this bulldozer would suffer if I let it run right over you?
04:45 chromatic None at all?
04:47 Tene Coke: yeah, feather is kinda hosed.  parrot was failing badly there for me too.
04:55 allison joined #parrot
05:17 jimmy_ i don't know why
05:17 jimmy_ 'pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)/*.ops ops2vim.pl
05:17 jimmy_ $(CP) pir_vim.in pir.vim
05:17 jimmy_ $(PERL) ops2vim.pl $(OPS_DIR)\\*.ops >> pir.vim
05:17 jimmy_ ' can work and
05:17 jimmy_ 'pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)\\*.ops ops2vim.pl
05:17 jimmy_ $(CP) pir_vim.in pir.vim
05:17 jimmy_ $(PERL) ops2vim.pl $(OPS_DIR)\\*.ops >> pir.vim' can't work
05:18 Coke you don't need to use \\ in perl on win for dir separators.
05:18 jimmy it a makefile
05:18 Coke if the / works, why change it?
05:18 Coke 3rd line is a perl invocation.
05:18 jimmy because the gen code do this change.
05:18 Coke in the makerule, you don't need to escape then \
05:19 Coke should be: pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)\*.ops ops2vim.pl
05:19 jimmy so i wan't find the gen code.
05:19 jimmy yes
05:19 jimmy so i wan't find the gen code line where does the change.
05:19 jimmy want
05:19 Coke "want to"
05:19 jimmy yes
05:20 Coke somewhere in config\
05:20 Coke hurm. or lib\
05:20 particle # ex: set ro ft=make:
05:20 particle # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
05:20 particle # Generated by Parrot::Configure::Compiler from config/gen/makefiles/editor.in
05:20 Coke particle uses vi on windows. perhaps he can be movtivated to help you track this down.
05:20 Coke -> sleep
05:21 kj joined #parrot
05:24 dalek r32685 | tewk++ | trunk:
05:24 dalek : Refactor to eliminate code duplication
05:24 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32685
05:29 dalek r32686 | kjs++ | trunk:
05:29 dalek : [pirc] some cleanups, docs etc.
05:29 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32686
05:31 Tene pmichaud: I have a question about HLLCompiler when you get a few minutes.
05:32 Andy joined #parrot
05:43 stockwellb joined #parrot
05:44 jimmy particle: there may be   something in  Parrot::Configure::Compiler
05:45 jimmy the makefile gened from editor.in is not passed in windows
05:45 pmichaud Tene: go ahead
05:46 jimmy there may do a wrong replace in Parrot::Configure::Compiler
05:46 Tene pmichaud: In HLLCompiler, when I'm registering a class and putting the protoobject in the appropriate namespace, where do I get the HLL from?
05:46 pmichaud isn't there a hll option to register?
05:46 Tene Is there?  Lemme check.
05:47 jimmy can anybody fix the problem?
05:48 Tene erm, P6Object, not HLLCompiler.
05:48 Tene Yeah, looks like you're right.
05:48 Tene I wonder what my problem was the last time I tried this...
05:51 stockwellb In a test file, with a forced failure like 0k (0, 'some comment'). Should *some comment* describe what failed ore what was tested?
05:52 stockwellb s/ore/or
05:56 pmichaud Tene: so, are you asking about HLLCompiler or P6object?
05:56 pmichaud in HLLCompiler there's no option.  Instead, you just put a .HLL directive at the top of the master .pir file
05:56 pmichaud e.g., in perl6, we would put   .HLL 'perl6'   at the top of perl6.pir
06:00 Tene Right.  I was trying to remember the problem I ran into last time, but apparently failed badly.
06:01 apeiron joined #parrot
06:01 pmichaud issue #1 for .hll:  we don't have a way to import the PAST::* classes into the HLL namespace
06:01 Tene Was there some other prerequisite to making PCT hll-aware that you wanted me to finish first?
06:01 pmichaud soooo
06:01 Tene Particle's export stuff was relevant to that, wasn't it?
06:01 dalek r32687 | pmichaud++ | lex2:
06:01 dalek : [pct]:  Update to properly close named inner subs.
06:01 pmichaud yes, but that only applies to stuff written in Rakudo
06:01 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32687
06:02 pmichaud in P6object, when we create a protoobject and bind it into the namespace, I want it to also bind into EXPORT::ALL
06:03 Tene so when I new_class 'Foo::Bar', also put the proto in Foo::Bar::EXPORT::ALL ?
06:04 pmichaud for example, if P6object creates a class named Foo::Bar::Baz, I want it to create    ['Foo';'Bar'], 'Baz'   and  ['Foo';'Bar';'EXPORT';'ALL'], 'Baz'
06:04 dalek r32688 | allison++ | trunk:
06:04 dalek : [cage] Deprecation note for src/pic.c.
06:04 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32688
06:04 pmichaud (both of which are bound to the protoobject)
06:05 chromatic stockwellb, what was tested.
06:05 Tene Okay.
06:07 Tene P6object currently has a set of loops to deal with the fact that get_root_namespace on an RPA won't create a namespace if it doesn't already exist.  I believe you told me that get_root_namespace should be creating namespaces if they don't exist?
06:07 Tene Does that sound familiar?
06:07 pmichaud I did tell you that, but I think we determined I was wrong.
06:07 Tene Ah, okay.
06:07 pmichaud however
06:07 pmichaud you should just be able to do   set_hll_global
06:08 pmichaud *that* automatically creates the namespace
06:08 pmichaud (or set_root_global)
06:08 Tene Looks like we're getting the namespace so we can run newclass on it.
06:08 pmichaud set_root_global ['hll';'Foo';'Bar';'EXPORT';'ALL'], 'Baz', $P0     # automatically creates namespace
06:09 pmichaud currently we have
06:09 pmichaud set_root_global ns, $S0, protoobject
06:09 pmichaud (line 396)
06:09 pmichaud all that is needed after that is
06:09 pmichaud push ns, 'EXPORT'
06:10 pmichaud push ns, 'ALL'
06:10 pmichaud set_root_global ns, $S0, protoobject
06:10 stockwellb chromatic: thank you.
06:10 Tene P6Object.pir:485 is the end of those loops.
06:10 Tene ... right, that's why I was in here.
06:10 pmichaud that's if we're creating a class
06:11 pmichaud but we already have the protoobject -- we just need to bind it into an additional location
06:11 Tene Yeah, I was off on a tangent there.
06:11 pmichaud ...in fact, we could (and should) use set_root_namespace to create the namespace we need.
06:11 pmichaud instead of the loop.
06:12 Tene What do we set in it?
06:12 Tene Undef?  Failure?
06:12 pmichaud looking.
06:12 stockwellb chromatic: may a post a test snippet for you to look at?
06:13 stockwellb s/post/nopaste
06:13 chromatic Of course!
06:13 nopaste "stockwellb" at 70.160.222.145 pasted "try catch finally" (22 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/14598
06:14 pmichaud $P0 = new 'NameSpace'
06:14 Tene Clever.
06:14 stockwellb chromatic: right track?
06:14 pmichaud $S0 = pop base_ns
06:14 pmichaud set_root_global base_ns, $S0, $P0
06:15 pmichaud but even easier might be (for now)
06:15 pmichaud set_root_global base_ns, '', $P0
06:15 pmichaud pretty much anything will work for $P0 there -- the point is simply that we want Parrot to create the namespace.
06:15 chromatic stockwellb, that's reasonable, though for clarity's sake I'd set $I0 to 1 in the non-exception case and call ok() only once per unique test (with $I0 instead of a constant first parameter).
06:15 chromatic That makes it easier for someone skimming the code to count how many tests pass or fail.
06:17 stockwellb I see, it looks like three ok and one is test!
06:18 stockwellb chromatic: thanks for the help.
06:18 chromatic You're welcome.
06:22 chromatic A good name for a new language: PIMPMOBILE
06:22 chromatic A bad name for a good language: POPEMOBILE
06:27 dalek r32689 | tene++ | trunk:
06:27 dalek : [P6Object]: Add created protoobjects to the default export namespace
06:27 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32689
06:27 dalek r32690 | tene++ | trunk:
06:27 dalek : [P6Object]: Replace some ugly loops with a simple workaround.
06:27 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32690
06:32 iblechbot joined #parrot
06:36 dalek r32691 | allison++ | pdd22io:
06:36 dalek : [pdd22io] Un-todo readline test.
06:36 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32691
06:41 pmichaud tene++
06:41 pmichaud do we have tests for those?
06:41 pmichaud I (we?) also need to clean up t/library/p6object.t -- there's a lot of commented-out tests there
06:43 Tene No tests for the former.  No functional change to test for the latter.
06:43 pmichaud we should probably add a test for the EXPORT::ALL binding.
07:03 TiMBuS joined #parrot
07:29 particle s/probably/definitely/
07:30 Zaba joined #parrot
07:30 Tene Where does the contents of the EXPORT::ALL namespace get imported?  I'm having a bit of trouble tracking that down.
07:33 johbar joined #parrot
07:37 dalek r32692 | allison++ | pdd22io:
07:37 dalek : [pdd22io] Make write buffering work.
07:37 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32692
07:43 Tene ... okay, looks like it doesn't happen.
07:45 Tene pmichaud: can you confirm that this should work: http://gist.github.com/25429 ?
07:45 dalek r32693 | allison++ | pdd22io:
07:45 dalek : [pdd22io] The interpreter's STDERR is still an old-style I/O object during the
07:45 dalek : temporary migration, so uses old-style function.
07:45 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32693
07:46 Tene pmichaud: and if so, does that mean that I need to export the EXPORT::ALL::* entries into the calling namespace from rakudo's use or from HLLCompiler's evalfile, or where?
07:47 dalek r32694 | chromatic++ | trunk:
07:47 dalek : [IMCC] Added documentation for all undocumented functions in this file.
07:47 dalek : Tidied code (very minor).
07:47 dalek : Improved IMCC_INFO(interp)->ghash clearing from r32633; it looks unlikely that
07:47 dalek : resetting global symbol colors will work correctly, at least with IMCC as it is
07:47 dalek : now.
07:47 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32694
07:54 tewk_ joined #parrot
07:55 Tene ... or is it supposed to happen in NS's export_to ?
07:56 particle tene: you don't need to worry about the import end of things
07:56 Tene particle: explain please?
07:56 pmichaud I'm going to fudge the import side
07:56 particle as long as it's in ::EXPORT::ALL, it's ready for pmichaud's use
07:57 pmichaud and the import that we use for PAST won't be the same as 'use'
07:57 pmichaud because it's NQP and actions.pm that needs to know about the symbols
07:57 pmichaud (and neither NQP nor actions.pm use 'use')
07:57 Tene the docs for the export_to method on the NameSpace pmc mention a default set of items that isn't yet implementes.
07:57 pmichaud correct
07:57 Tene Is that related?
07:58 pmichaud I think that's probably bogus
07:58 pmichaud (the namespace pdd needs a serious rethink)
07:58 pmichaud otoh, I would like to see us go ahead and create the make_root_namespace operation
07:58 pmichaud (and make_hll_namespace)
07:59 pmichaud I can think of a couple of other places where we'll want to use it soon.
08:03 Tene pmichaud: Can you vaguely describe an architecture for this sometime soon so I can start working on it?
08:04 particle for make_*_namespace? it's straightforward:
08:04 particle if the namespace exists, do nothing
08:05 particle if not, create it
08:05 Tene No, for the export stuff we need for dealing with HLL issues.
08:05 particle ah
08:05 pmichaud I'm simply following what's described in PDD13
08:05 pmichaud sorry, S13
08:05 Tene ... oh. :)
08:06 pmichaud so, we put all of the symbols to be exported into an EXPORT::ALL namespace
08:06 pmichaud then, to import the symbols, we iterate over the namespace rebinding the names we find in EXPORT::ALL to the namespace we're wanting to export them to
08:07 pmichaud in the case of trying to get .HLL to work, we'll bind PAST::EXPORT:ALL into the PAST namespace in Rakudo's HLL namespace
08:07 Tene Are we adding real support for this somewhere, or just faking it somewhere?
08:08 pmichaud that way actions.pm can find them by using PAST::Var.new(whatever)
08:08 pmichaud "real support" depends on what we mean by "real support
08:08 pmichaud "
08:08 pmichaud the way that rakudo handles imports won't likely be the same as the way we do it in NQP
08:09 pmichaud sorry, I was wrong again -- Synopsis *11*
08:10 particle bed &
08:12 Tene So is some part of PCT going to be binding the PAST::EXPORT::ALL namespace into the caller's HLL namespace, or will the individual HLLs need to do this themselves?
08:12 pmichaud it's going to be a part of PCT.
08:12 pmichaud I haven't entirely decided where yet.
08:12 pmichaud but I think I can write the EXPORTALL module that I want
08:13 Tene Also, won't this make the PAST namespace available to all user programs in all pct-using hlls?  Is this an issue we need to consider?
08:14 pmichaud yes, it does that for now
08:14 Tene Okay.
08:15 pmichaud but it's more than that, because the grammar and the action methods are also "available to all user programs..."
08:15 pmichaud I suspect that they'll eventually go into each HLL's private namespace
08:15 pmichaud well, except for Rakudo, which will have them in the public namespace
08:15 Tene I remember Coke also talking about HLL private namespaces.  Is that specced anywhere?
08:16 pmichaud pdd21_namespaces
08:16 Tene :)
08:19 cotto would this be a good time to ask for a resolution to #59810 (using a non-default hash seed causes brokenness)?
08:19 pmichaud I think most everyone's headed off to bed
08:20 cotto so probably not then
08:20 pmichaud I can say that we decided today that PARROT_API doesn't mean what it says
08:21 pmichaud and it's going to change shortly after the next release
08:23 pmichaud essentially, things that say PARROT_API today really mean "parrot export" -- i.e., those labels are there to indicate that these symbols have to be available to the dynamic loader/linker
08:23 pmichaud so they'll probably change to read PARROT_EXPORT
08:23 cotto The function should be made less surprising either way.
08:23 pmichaud then, we'll be doing a review of all of the functions to decide which are really part of the "API" -- i.e., those that we consider to be "user facing" functions
08:23 pmichaud I don't know that string_hash will fall in that category.
08:25 pmichaud beyond that, I'm not familiar enough with parrot guts to say anything intelligent on the matter
08:25 pmichaud Tene:  think you'd be able to take a crack at writing EXPORTALL ?
08:26 cotto pmichaud, is there a good place I could add a note about that specific function so it'll come up during the review?
08:26 pmichaud there's already a note in the source, yes?
08:27 Tene pmichaud: is it different from NameSpace's export_to method?
08:27 pmichaud Tene: checking.
08:27 pmichaud (probably yes.)
08:27 cotto pmichaud, there is
08:28 pmichaud Tene:  I'm not looking to necessarily implement the PDD, because I think (and hope) it will change in a lot of ways
08:28 pmichaud I'd like to have a method on HLLCompiler called 'EXPORTALL'
08:28 pmichaud it should take a source and destination namespace as parameters
08:29 pmichaud (you can assume they are already namespace PMCs for now)
08:29 pmichaud it should then loop through all of the symbols in the source's 'EXPORT';'ALL' subnamespace, and for every symbol it finds it should bind it into the destination namespace with the same name.
08:30 pmichaud so, for example:
08:30 pmichaud $P0 = get_root_namespace ['parrot';'PAST']
08:30 pmichaud $P1 = make_root_namespace ['perl6';'PAST']
08:30 pmichaud hllcompiler.'EXPORTALL'($P0, $P1)
08:31 pmichaud and all of the symbols that are in ['parrot';'PAST';'EXPORT';'ALL'] then go into ['perl6';'PAST']
08:32 Tene Sure.  I can do that.
08:32 pmichaud cotto: since the note is there I suspect it'll get some review.
08:32 pmichaud Tene: we may need to adjust the interface a bit in the future, but I think we can make this work for now.
08:33 cotto In that case, I'll leave it at that.
08:34 pmichaud cotto: is pipp blocking on this particular item?
08:35 cotto nope.  It's just something that should eventually be solved.
08:35 pmichaud then yes, it'll probably come up in the normal course of things.
08:50 dalek r32695 | pmichaud++ | lex2:
08:50 dalek : [core]:  Get capture_lex to work on MultiSub PMCs.
08:51 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32695
08:51 dalek r32696 | pmichaud++ | lex2:
08:51 dalek : [rakudo]:  Add VTABLE_get_iter to Perl6MultiSub (needed for capture_lex)
08:51 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32696
09:09 pmichaud time for sleep
09:09 pmichaud actually, past time for sleep.
09:09 pmichaud back tomorrow.
09:21 dalek r32697 | pmichaud++ | lex2:
09:21 dalek : [core]:  Turn off the capture_lex check for an outer sub.
09:21 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32697
09:23 iblechbot joined #parrot
09:41 Ademan_ joined #parrot
09:48 cotto is barney at pds?
10:05 dalek r32698 | cotto++ | trunk:
10:05 dalek : [t] add a TODO'd test for #60556
10:05 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32698
10:08 dalek r32699 | cotto++ | trunk:
10:08 dalek : [t] add RT ref to previous commit
10:08 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32699
10:12 klapperl_ joined #parrot
10:15 jimmy joined #parrot
10:22 ruoso joined #parrot
11:03 dalek r32700 | fperrad++ | trunk:
11:03 dalek : [forth]
11:03 dalek : - update exception usage
11:03 dalek : - TokenStream : overload set_native_string instead of new_from_string
11:03 dalek : - all tests pass
11:03 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32700
11:03 jimmy # replace \* with \\*, so make will not eat the \
11:04 jimmy this comment sometimes is not believable
11:05 jimmy for example:
11:05 jimmy pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)\*.ops ops2vim.pl is availabe
11:05 jimmy but pir.vim: pir_vim.in $(OPS_DIR)\\*.ops ops2vim.pl is not availabe
11:07 jimmy maybe t\\*.t t\\*\\*.t t\\*\\*\\*.t: all is availabe but i don't know if 't\*.t t\*\*.t t\*\*\*.t: all' whether  is availabe too.
11:11 dalek r32701 | fperrad++ | trunk:
11:11 dalek : [Lua]
11:11 dalek : - install some extension libraries
11:11 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32701
11:11 klapperl joined #parrot
11:38 jimmy hello cotto
11:38 jimmy nopaste
11:38 clunker3 http://pasta.test-smoke.org/ or http://paste.husk.org/ or http://nopaste.snit.ch:8001/ or http://rafb.net/paste or http://poundperl.pastebin.com/ or http://paste.scsys.co.uk/
11:38 jimmy nopaste?
11:38 clunker3 http://pasta.test-smoke.org/ or http://paste.husk.org/ or http://nopaste.snit.ch:8001/ or http://rafb.net/paste or http://poundperl.pastebin.com/ or http://paste.scsys.co.uk/
11:38 purl i guess nopaste is at http://nopaste.snit.ch/ (ask TonyC for new channels) or http://rafb.net/paste or http://poundperl.pastebin.com/ or http://paste.scsys.co.uk/ or App::Nopaste or tools/dev/nopaste.pl or at http://www.extpaste.com/
11:39 jimmy cotto: hello
11:39 masak joined #parrot
11:39 barney joined #parrot
11:41 jimmy hello masak
11:41 nopaste "jimmy" at 219.134.167.104 pasted "[PATCH]'make vim-install' works in Windows NT series now." (44 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/14599
11:42 jimmy now vim plugin can be installed by 'make vim-install' in windows now.
11:43 jimmy stop
11:43 jimmy wrong patch
11:53 masak zaochen hao, jimmy
11:54 jimmy 早上好啊,masak,我们这里是晚上8点了,呵呵
11:55 masak 是,当然。:)
11:55 masak that's because the Earth is round :)
11:57 masak while people are all "OMG!" about the 1.0 release being scheduled for March, I'm all "OMG!" about lex2 being about to be merged back into trunk.
11:57 masak it feels unreal, somehow.
11:57 masak pmichaud++ jonathan++
11:58 jimmy yes.
11:58 cognominal Christmas is in March this year?
11:59 jimmy lex2 being about to be merged back into trunk? where?
12:00 masak jimmy: right here, before our eyes.
12:00 masak jimmy: but I don't know exactly when.
12:00 masak last estimate I heard was that it's be merged by yesterday
12:03 bacek joined #parrot
12:03 bacek good night
12:03 purl sleep fast, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite
12:03 jimmy masak: i will take a look.
12:04 dalek r32702 | bernhard++ | trunk:
12:04 dalek : [codingstd] remove trailing space
12:04 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32702
12:08 bacek masak: lex2 isn't merged yet.
12:08 bacek But it looks great
12:08 dalek r32703 | bernhard++ | trunk:
12:08 dalek : [codingstd] Satisfy c_parens.t
12:08 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32703
12:09 masak bacek: no, that's right. that's what I meant by 'about to be merged'
12:10 masak I'm glad it looks great. I hear it's about to be merged. :)
12:26 dalek r32704 | bernhard++ | trunk:
12:26 dalek : [PCT] add test case where an 'our' var is set in called action
12:26 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32704
12:28 gmansi joined #parrot
12:29 dalek r32705 | bernhard++ | trunk:
12:29 dalek : [PCT] remove unnecessarg attribute 'pasttype' in tests
12:29 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32705
12:34 purl joined #parrot
12:46 rurban joined #parrot
13:09 gmansi joined #parrot
13:22 particle joined #parrot
13:27 Whiteknight joined #parrot
13:42 particle joined #parrot
13:54 register joined #parrot
14:03 dalek r32706 | bernhard++ | trunk:
14:03 dalek : [Pipp] Set predefined constant PHP_OS
14:03 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32706
14:07 pmichaud (lex2) I'm still running into spectest failures.... every time I think "ah, *this* will finish it" some other segfault or bug appears.
14:08 particle is your latest committed?
14:09 pmichaud except for the change I made just 2 minutes ago, yes.
14:10 pmichaud now committed, r32707
14:10 dalek r32707 | pmichaud++ | lex2:
14:10 dalek : [pct]:  We also capture_lex when taking a reference.
14:10 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32707
14:10 particle rebuilding now
14:14 particle spectest is fine so far, in S02-literals now
14:14 Whiteknight pmichaud: That's how my GC work went: everytime I fixed one segfault, another one appeared.
14:30 pmichaud four spectest files failing
14:30 pmichaud Whiteknight: yes.  In this case the problems are compounded because of some limitations in the current parrot design (limitations we're being quite effective at redesigning this weekend :-)
14:31 particle i get two failures
14:32 pmichaud s/compounded/complex/
14:32 pmichaud which files?
14:32 purl which files are burnt at the stake.
14:32 pmichaud purl, forget which files
14:32 purl pmichaud: I forgot which files
14:32 particle S02-polymorphic_types\subset-code.
14:32 particle S12-class\declaration-order.t
14:32 particle damned declaration-order
14:32 pmichaud declaration-order.t is a known failure from trunk
14:32 particle can we regress that?
14:32 particle known failures suck
14:32 pmichaud yes, we'll do that tomorrow if we haven't fixed it by then.
14:32 particle ah, right, release.
14:33 particle perfect.
14:33 pmichaud (I'd prefer to keep it "visible" during the summit in case we get a chance to look at it)
14:35 pmichaud ah, the tests pass with -G
14:35 pmichaud that makes me think it's a garbage collection issue
14:36 pmichaud ...does -G affect garbage collection of contexts, though?
14:36 Whiteknight I'm looking forward to seeing all your changes!
14:37 Infinoid maybe something is freed that shouldn't be?
14:37 pmichaud it's likely -- handling the reference counts on contexts is tricky (and afaict broken in a few key cases)
14:39 Infinoid hmm.  is that something we can test directly?
14:40 pmichaud I don't know, I haven't looked into it.  allison also says that we're likely to make contexts into PMCs so they become part of normal garbage collection
14:40 Whiteknight (become part of normal garbage collection)++
14:40 Infinoid yeah, refcounts suck.  sounds good to me :)
14:41 Infinoid I'm curious about the current refcounting stuff, though.  where's the code for this?
14:41 pmichaud it's only for contexts, so primarily    src/sub.c and src/gc/register.c
14:42 particle spectests are run with -G by default? i thought that had changed
14:42 pmichaud no, they aren't run with -G by default.  that's why they're failing
14:44 particle sorry, i don't get it.
14:44 particle you have different tests failing, i guess
14:44 pmichaud right
14:44 particle which files fail for you?
14:45 pmichaud $ cat t/localtest.data
14:45 pmichaud t/spec/S02-polymorphic_types/subset-code.t
14:45 pmichaud t/spec/S02-polymorphic_types/subset-range.t
14:45 pmichaud t/spec/S12-class/attributes.t
14:45 pmichaud t/spec/S12-class/inheritance.t
14:48 particle ok, i'll run those with a few permutations of options and flags after a shower
14:48 * Coke makes sure lex2 doesn't break tcl, JIC.
14:50 * masak cheers on the lex2 branch
14:53 Infinoid ah, t/op/calling.t seems to show a context freeing failure.  pmichaud, that's the one you're talking about?
14:53 Infinoid Failed test 'Tail call without arguments should not free the context when a closure depends on it'
14:54 pmichaud Infinoid: no, we're doing tests in the spectest branch
14:54 pmichaud sorry
14:54 pmichaud test in rakudo, "make spectest"
14:54 pmichaud but yes, there may also be tests in t/op/calling.t that I don't know about.
14:54 Infinoid well, if parrot doesn't work, I wouldn't expect rakudo to work either, so I figured I'd start with the basics. :)
14:54 pmichaud I had parrot "make test" working before this last batch of changes, so apparently something regressed.
14:55 Infinoid ok, that's a starting point.  thanks
14:55 dalek r32708 | bernhard++ | trunk:
14:55 dalek : [Pipp] Add some predifined constants
14:55 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32708
14:56 pmichaud r32709 has some context changes.
14:56 dalek r32709 | pmichaud++ | lex2:
14:56 dalek : Make sure we mark our outer contexts as live, or their contents get GCed.
14:56 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32709
14:57 Infinoid gah, git has spoiled me.  I keep expecting "svn blame" to automatically pipe itself to less
14:58 Coke particle: "wontfix" isn't the same as "resolved"
14:58 Coke (configure ticket.)
14:59 Coke (hurm. rt spells it as "rejected". There we go.)
15:00 Infinoid r32709 change didn't affect t/op/calling.t
15:02 * Infinoid works on figuring out which context was freed
15:06 Theory joined #parrot
15:08 dalek r32710 | bernhard++ | trunk:
15:08 dalek : [Pipp] Add test using the constant syntax
15:08 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32710
15:08 particle coke: "for now" isn't the same as "resolved", either
15:10 Coke particle: the ticket was marked as resolved.
15:11 Coke I did not verify who resolved it, though.
15:11 particle ah, didn't realize the ticket was resolved, just responded to an email in my inbox
15:11 Coke kid51.
15:12 Coke wow. even more awesome, it was closed in august. wtf.
15:12 jimmy joined #parrot
15:12 Coke you also don't seem to have responded to the ticket.
15:13 * Coke re-resolved the ticket, assuming it actually was.
15:13 Coke tcl fails horribly in lex2, but only because lex2 hasn't been updated from trunk recently enough.
15:14 dalek r32711 | bernhard++ | trunk:
15:14 dalek : [Pipp] Normalize here doc delimiters
15:14 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32711
15:14 Coke er, well, I don't know if that's the ONLY reason, but it does mean I can't test it.
15:14 particle i responded to a private email from you to me and c
15:15 Coke ... ah
15:15 jimmy http://nopaste.snit.ch/14601
15:15 jimmy hello cotto or coke?
15:15 Coke Sorry; last email in a 50 line thread, didn't check the headers.
15:16 bacek pmichaud: I have own t/02-regression in rakudo (for few lexical issues). Is it feasible to submit patch for it?
15:16 Coke jimmy: ?
15:16 jimmy >http://nopaste.snit.ch/14601
15:16 jimmy i created a patch
15:16 Coke jimmy, we need to get you submitting patches via RT. =-)
15:16 jimmy i am in blacklist.
15:17 Coke particle: can you review that patch since you actually use fancy vi stuff on windows?
15:17 Coke (I merely use straight vim)
15:18 * Coke is very frustrated at not being at the pds.
15:18 jimmy and makefile something like: @echo "http:/smoke.****.org\"
15:18 jimmy it is wrong
15:18 pmichaud *sigh* well, looks like I broke something in lex2 core -- guess I have to go back and figure that out.  :-(
15:19 Coke I can't test the calling conventions branch for the same reason; it doesn't have enough of the latest mods from trunk.
15:19 jimmy and somebody can rescue me from the RT blacklist?
15:20 Coke jimmy: please send me an email describing your problem, and I will forward it to the RT admins.
15:20 Coke (I'm assuming that if you try to mail them directly, the same blacklist will apply.)
15:20 Coke basically "I sent an email to this address and it never arrived."
15:20 jimmy zhuomingliang@yahoo.com.cn
15:21 jimmy i am in the RT blacklist
15:21 Coke ... fine. Never mind the email.
15:21 Coke you sent to parrotbug@parrotcode.org, correct?
15:22 jimmy i had sent to.
15:22 jimmy I had sent to there 3 email
15:22 jimmy and 1 email to rt-admin@perl.org
15:24 Coke email sent.
15:24 Coke I'll let you know if I hear anything.
15:24 jimmy thanks coke
15:24 jimmy and this patch? http://nopaste.snit.ch/14601 ?
15:25 Coke I'll open a ticket so someone who knows about it can do something about it.
15:26 jimmy coke: thanks again :)
15:26 bacek pmichaud: looks like r32709 broke lex2.
15:27 jimmy and hello bacek, i fixed the problem now. thanks
15:27 bacek pmichaud: hmm... If I remove 'use v6' from my test it start working...
15:27 bacek jimmy: great :)
15:28 pmichaud bacek: broke lex2 in _what_?
15:28 pmichaud (what are you testing that it broke?)
15:28 pmichaud and does it work in r32708?
15:29 Coke jimmy: you have an RT login; when I create a ticket and plugin your address, it knows you are. whee.
15:29 jimmy yes
15:29 jimmy i am jimmy
15:30 Coke that patch is rt 60584
15:30 Coke anyone here can do the same thing by opening the ticket with a patch, then adding you as a requestor to the ticket, and removing themselves.
15:31 pmichaud rant:  working on lexicals in parrot (and the lex2 branch) is becoming critically -Onofun for me.
15:31 jimmy thanks
15:31 dalek r32712 | fperrad++ | trunk:
15:31 dalek : [PIR]
15:31 dalek : - update syntax : use .tailcall
15:31 dalek : (all tests fail)
15:31 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32712
15:32 * Infinoid reboots his swap-dead laptop, sets a process memory quota and tries again
15:33 nopaste "bacek" at 211.29.157.151 pasted "58392.t for pmichaud" (16 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/14602
15:33 pmichaud bacek: we already have that in the spectest suite.
15:33 bacek pmichaud: this is my test. It works. But if I add 'use v6' it crashes with segfault
15:34 pmichaud bacek: noted.
15:39 klapperl joined #parrot
15:44 dalek r32713 | Whiteknight++ | calling_conventions:
15:44 dalek : [calling_conventions] While I'm waiting for the release on tuesday... Rename Parrot_PCCINVOKE to Parrot_pcc_invoke_method_from_c_args.
15:44 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32713
15:46 masak can one hope for a lex2 merge before the release?
15:48 Infinoid I have no idea.  is the context freeing issue the only known blocker?
15:48 masak Don't know.
15:49 Infinoid hmm.  -G doesn't affect t/op/calling_95.pir - I'm not so sure invalid frees are the cause of this failure
15:50 jimmy i found that some .pir files uses PASM style like 'I0'
15:50 register is there some documentation about Parrot::Configure internals?
15:51 Infinoid those modules include POD documentation, "perldoc lib/Parrot/Configure.pm" is a good start
15:52 register thx
15:52 Infinoid "perldoc docs/configuration.pod" is the other half
15:52 jimmy i found that some .pir files uses PASM style like 'I0' and it is [DEPRECATED]
15:53 Infinoid patches welcome. :)
15:53 jimmy but i can't test it
15:53 jimmy it is ok?
15:54 jimmy search such as ' I0', and found it.
15:55 Infinoid it's better than nothing, I suppose.  you can send a patch to parrotbug and mention that it's untested
15:55 Infinoid that way, the issue is tracked, even if the patch isn't perfect.
15:55 Whiteknight we can always test it for you
15:55 Infinoid yep
15:56 Infinoid I think the motivation behind deprecating that was to try to move toward named variables in PIR, by making the non-named ones to be as ugly as possible
15:56 Infinoid s/to be //
15:56 pmichaud masak: yesterday I was completely expecting that lex2 merge would happen before release... today I'm very uncertain.
15:56 masak pmichaud: ok.
15:57 pmichaud the number of things I'm having to change/fix/workaround to get it to work is growing quite rapidly
15:57 pmichaud (and that's not a good sign.)
15:57 masak pmichaud: I understand this is a difficult fix. I'm hoping you solve it eventually. Just wondering when it's time to pop the champagne.
15:59 Infinoid ok, compiling Test.pm to Test.pir is using an insane amount of memory... think that's what killed my laptop last time
15:59 pmichaud yes, I think we're not reclaiming contexts.
15:59 pmichaud i.e., we're leaking contexts.
15:59 Infinoid (this time, I killed it at the 2GB marker)
16:02 pmichaud I need to check out of the hotel and then will work on this a bit more in the lobby.
16:02 Infinoid no problem.
16:02 Infinoid r32708 does not use nearly as much memory
16:02 pmichaud right
16:02 pmichaud wait, it doesn't use as much memory as r32709 ?
16:03 pmichaud I think I'll need to go chase down all the ref_count modifiers and make sure they're in the right places.
16:03 Infinoid that's what it seems like
16:03 Infinoid r32709 runs my laptop out of memory, r32708 completes normally
16:04 * Infinoid double checks that
16:04 pmichaud okay
16:04 pmichaud I'm a bit surprised but that, but it's possible.
16:04 pmichaud s/but/by/
16:05 pmichaud the core failures are in t/op, yes?
16:05 Infinoid yes
16:05 pmichaud there's not much point in building rakudo until we get those fixed.
16:05 Infinoid though my test for this is just "make" in languages/perl6
16:05 Infinoid for some reason, generating Test.pir triggers this leak
16:05 pmichaud Test.pir is the first program that is generated from something that uses lexicals.
16:06 Infinoid ok, double checked
16:06 * bacek wanders why parrot needs refcount?
16:06 Infinoid bacek: because contexts aren't tracked by the normal GC yet
16:06 pmichaud bacek: I think the idea was that it would be more efficient to do refcounting on contexts instead of normal GC
16:06 bacek why?
16:07 pmichaud having played with this a bit, I somewhat agree.
16:07 pmichaud (I'm not saying we should keep it that way, just that I can see the argument.)
16:08 pmichaud why refcount:  context creation happens a lot at well defined points, so it's realtively easy to know "when to allocate" and "when to release"
16:08 pmichaud also, at the time it was created contexts were more of a stack than a tree
16:08 bacek and make mistake easily :)
16:08 pmichaud (er, context creation was more of a stack than a tree)
16:09 pmichaud that's one of the things the lex2 branch is having to take care of -- it's having to remove all those places where it was assumed that outer contexts were part of the call stack
16:09 Infinoid pmichaud: specifically, the core failures are t/op/calling.t and t/op/lexicals.t
16:10 pmichaud Infinoid: okay, I just wanted to check that I could do   "prove t/op" to check for core failures instead of a full "make test"
16:10 Infinoid yep
16:10 pmichaud okay, checkin g out of hotel -- bbiab
16:11 Infinoid some of the output from lexicals.t looks like a recursive exception
16:16 pmichaud aha, I see why we weren't freeing contexts
16:17 pmichaud and also why we were losing them.
16:18 pmichaud oh wait, maybe not.  hrm.
16:20 chromatic joined #parrot
16:28 dalek r32714 | pmichaud++ | lex2:
16:28 dalek : [GC] Switch Parrot_(push|pop)_context to use refcounting.
16:28 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32714
16:29 register i have a question about ticket 38929
16:30 register I believe to have understood how to modify the build system so that it is possible to separate the file jit_emit.h in two
16:31 nopaste "bacek" at 211.29.157.151 pasted "Infinite recursion segfault in lex2 for pmichaud" (17 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/14604
16:31 register one containing the code and the other one consisting only of the declarations
16:31 register i see that this ticket is assigned on whiteknight
16:31 register i wonder what is the state of the ticket
16:31 register i offer to help with this one
16:32 register is whiteknight online now?
16:33 pmichaud seen wknight
16:33 purl I haven't seen 'wknight', pmichaud.  Close matches are: wknight-away [268d, 17:55:16], wknight-work [120d, 20:54:52], wknight8111_ [32d, 21:44:01], wknight8111 [1d, 22:04:36]
16:33 gmansi joined #parrot
16:33 pmichaud seen wknight8111
16:33 purl wknight8111 was last seen on #parrot 1 days, 22 hours, 4 minutes and 46 seconds ago, saying: I'm more worried about coming up with a clever name :)  [Nov 14 18:28:25 2008]
16:33 pmichaud oh wait, he's right there
16:33 pmichaud seen Whiteknight
16:33 purl Whiteknight was last seen on #parrot 38 minutes and 19 seconds ago, saying: we can always test it for you
16:33 bacek pmichaud: ../../parrot  perl6.pbc --target=pir --output=Test.pir Test.pm
16:33 bacek make: *** [Test.pir] Segmentation fault
16:34 bacek it's on r32714
16:34 pmichaud 16:05 <pmichaud> there's not much point in building rakudo until we get those fixed.
16:34 bacek pmichaud: ah, ok
16:34 pmichaud (the tests in t/op)
16:35 register i'm wondering if he has already filtered the source code in the file
16:35 register if yes i will take care of modifying just the configure system
16:35 register else i can take care of the whole issue
16:35 register i will send hime a line
16:35 jonathan morning all
16:35 purl morning, jonathan
16:35 * bacek running 'prove t/op'
16:36 pmichaud hello, jonathan
16:36 masak oh hai, jonathan
16:36 * jonathan is just waiting for kjs to return from nom, then will come to check out
16:38 jonathan OH NO! lex2 segfaults now?
16:38 masak :/
16:38 Tene pmichaud: what should EXPORTALL do if the EXPORT::ALL namespace doesn't exist?  Return fialure, exception, etc?
16:39 pmichaud it should do nothing.
16:39 Tene Thanks.
16:39 pmichaud we could throw an exception for now, though.  it shouldn't occur.
16:39 pmichaud and an exception would let us see that.
16:41 Infinoid trunk fails to build for me on amd64, miniparrot aborts with an out of memory error
16:41 Infinoid #3  0x00007f9138743548 in Parrot_new_debug_seg (interp=0x14c3080, cs=0x15ec040, size=140260746985849) at src/packfile.c:2521
16:41 Infinoid that's a big size.
16:41 bacek Infinoid: good size :)
16:42 pmichaud jonathan: lex2 is having serious problems at the moment.
16:43 jonathan pmichaud: Ah. :-(
16:44 jonathan pmichaud: Leaking contexts?
16:46 pmichaud and not marking them as live
16:46 pmichaud so some are being gc'ed early
16:47 jonathan ah, sucky
16:47 * jonathan is coming down
16:47 pmichaud I have a question about src/pmc/sub.pmc
16:47 pmichaud okay, it can wait.
16:49 bacek and some of contexts have loops. So mark_context eat all stack and crashes...
16:55 elmex joined #parrot
16:55 elmex joined #parrot
16:56 nopaste "tene" at 67.152.86.163 pasted "EXPORTALL for pmichaud. There must be an easier way to do this..." (50 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/14605
16:57 elmex joined #parrot
16:57 Tene Ooo... syntax errors...
16:58 samlh joined #parrot
17:01 barney joined #parrot
17:02 Whiteknight pmichaud, you need me?
17:03 bacek pmichaud: src/sub.c + 563 looks very suspicious to me.
17:06 Infinoid hmm.  chromatic's r32694 broke IMCC in trunk on linux/amd64
17:06 Infinoid where'd he go? :)
17:08 gmansi joined #parrot
17:08 Whiteknight register, I would love your help with ticket 38929
17:08 Whiteknight if you know how to make the separation happen, I will gladly apply any patches you send
17:09 Whiteknight oh, he already left
17:15 Infinoid oh, he mixed int and size_t pointer types, so the top 32 bits of the size variable was uninitialized.
17:16 * Infinoid fixes
17:16 rob joined #parrot
17:20 * Infinoid tests
17:21 Infinoid pmichaud: if it helps, those coretests started failing in r32695
17:24 dalek r32715 | tene++ | trunk:
17:24 dalek : [HLLCompiler]: Add an EXPORTALL method.
17:24 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32715
17:24 allison joined #parrot
17:25 particle joined #parrot
17:27 chromatic joined #parrot
17:28 * bacek got answer for refcount question. #60564 :)
17:29 pmichaud Infinoid: yes, it helps a lot.
17:30 Infinoid ok.  adding back that refcount++ at the end seems to fix those tests again
17:30 Infinoid and here comes a fix for trunk!
17:31 Infinoid svn-bisect++
17:32 dalek r32716 | infinoid++ | trunk:
17:32 dalek : [IMCC] Fix builds on amd64.
17:32 dalek : r32694 changed some variables to size_t, but now a pointer to a size_t was
17:32 dalek : passed to get_codesize() as an int*.  On linux/amd64, int is 32 bit and size_t
17:32 dalek : is 64 bit, thus, the high 32 bits were uninitialized and miniparrot crashed
17:32 dalek : immediately when trying to allocate a 140TB buffer.
17:32 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32716
17:32 dalek r32717 | jonathan++ | trunk:
17:32 dalek : [rakudo] First cut of prefix:| for flattening arrays; doesn't work with hashes yet, but should be enough for what mod_parrot needs.
17:32 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32717
17:35 particle Infinoid++ # great message
17:35 Infinoid heh.  good thing I don't have 200TB of RAM, otherwise I never would have noticed that bug.
17:36 Infinoid (a man can dream)
17:38 Infinoid pmichaud: should I check in the bit that adds ref_count++ back in?  (the coretests are still working when I apply it to -rHEAD)
17:38 Infinoid I'm not really sure what else it breaks.
17:38 dmknopp joined #parrot
17:46 Infinoid and Test.pir no longer runs me out of memory, but I'm not sure whether that was r32714 or my local change
17:48 chromatic It's probably a combination.
17:50 Infinoid no, it was r32714.  adding the "ctx->ref_count++" back in fixes the parrot coretests but doesn't seem to make any difference when building rakudo (which works now)
17:53 Infinoid rakudo test passes... I'm trying a spectest now.
17:55 kj joined #parrot
17:55 dalek r32718 | kjs++ | trunk:
17:55 dalek : [pirc] add the new :nsentry flag for subs.
17:55 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32718
18:05 dalek r32719 | kjs++ | trunk:
18:05 dalek : [pdd19] add description of the new :nsentry subroutine flag.
18:05 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32719
18:08 Infinoid spectest memory usage still spirals out of control, and the process memory quota I set didn't help.  poor thinkpad's had a rough day.
18:13 dalek r32720 | kjs++ | trunk:
18:13 dalek : [pirc] :method can take an optional string argument.
18:13 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32720
18:13 dalek r32721 | tewk++ | nsentry:
18:13 dalek : [nsentry] branch creation
18:13 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32721
18:30 dalek r32722 | bernhard++ | trunk:
18:30 dalek : [perl] Normalize the path returned by Parrot::Test::path_to_parrot()
18:30 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32722
18:45 dalek r32723 | bernhard++ | trunk:
18:45 dalek : [Pipp] Simplify Makefile by setting @INC in t/harness
18:45 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32723
18:51 dalek r32724 | kjs++ | trunk:
18:51 dalek : [pirc] change :lexid into :subid.
18:51 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32724
19:06 dalek r32725 | bernhard++ | trunk:
19:06 dalek : [Pipp] fixing unified languages testing
19:06 dalek : PHP and PIR test files are not submitted
19:06 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32725
19:06 dalek r32726 | kjs++ | trunk:
19:06 dalek : [pdd19] :lexid will be changed into :subid.
19:06 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32726
19:07 dalek r32727 | kjs++ | trunk:
19:07 dalek : [DEPRECATED] deprecate :lexid in favor of :subid
19:07 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32727
19:08 PacoLinux joined #parrot
19:17 Limbic_Region joined #parrot
19:29 dalek r32728 | kjs++ | trunk:
19:29 dalek : [NEWS] add 'box' opcode and ':subid/:lexid' change
19:29 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32728
19:56 davidfetter joined #parrot
19:58 masak joined #parrot
20:02 gmansi joined #parrot
20:17 rdice joined #parrot
20:25 dalek r32729 | tewk++ | nsentry:
20:25 dalek : [nsentry] Implementation.  :method and :vtable still add sub to namespace
20:25 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32729
20:31 dalek r32730 | bernhard++ | trunk:
20:31 dalek : [Pipp] Allow running tests from 'languages/pipp'.
20:31 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32730
20:38 dalek r32731 | bernhard++ | trunk:
20:38 dalek : [Pipp] Remove trailing whitspace
20:38 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32731
20:40 dalek r32732 | chromatic++ | trunk:
20:40 dalek : [JIT] Switched JITted NCI functions to storage in ManagedStruct PMCs, which
20:40 dalek : will free the memory allocated for the JIT function when the PMC gets
20:40 dalek : destroyed.
20:40 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32732
21:09 dalek r32733 | jonathan++ | trunk:
21:09 dalek : [rakudo] Fix initialization of attributes of array and hash types (@ and % sigils). Resolves RT#60572.
21:09 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32733
21:10 bacek rakudo: say eval "my $x"
21:10 polyglotbot OUTPUT[No handler to delete.␤current instr.: 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;as_post' pc 6052 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:1651)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;post_children' pc 1779 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:367)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;pirop' pc 3048 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:791)␤called from Sub
21:10 polyglotbot ..'parrot;PAST;Compiler;post_children' pc 1779 (sr...
21:10 bacek jonathan: can you check this one?
21:10 bacek rakudo: say eval "my $x = 1"
21:10 polyglotbot OUTPUT[No handler to delete.␤current instr.: 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;as_post' pc 6052 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:1651)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;post_children' pc 1779 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:367)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;pirop' pc 3048 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:791)␤called from Sub
21:10 polyglotbot ..'parrot;PAST;Compiler;post_children' pc 1779 (sr...
21:20 lu_zero joined #parrot
21:20 lu_zero hi
21:27 masak lu_zero: y0
21:36 lu_zero joined #parrot
21:46 rob joined #parrot
22:08 Andy joined #parrot
22:16 kj joined #parrot
22:22 kj joined #parrot
22:26 jonathan bacek: I don't get that locally...
22:32 Theory joined #parrot
22:49 Limbic_Region joined #parrot
22:59 pmichaud I think that polyglotbot is not a recent copy.
23:04 Psyche^ joined #parrot
23:04 masak rakudo: say $/
23:04 polyglotbot OUTPUT[␤]
23:04 masak why doesn't using $/ before it has been defined produce a warning?
23:04 masak shouldn't it?
23:05 masak (I realize I'm asking for more 'use of undefined value' warnings here. Just curious why $/ would be an exception.)
23:11 nopaste "chromatic" at 216.239.45.19 pasted "kjs: Parrot::Test Patch for pirc" (59 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/14608
23:12 kj joined #parrot
23:12 chromatic kj: http://nopaste.snit.ch/14608
23:15 masak um, never mind. ordinary variables don't give a warning on that either.
23:15 masak but shouldn't they?
23:26 s1n joined #parrot
23:27 dalek r32734 | chromatic++ | trunk:
23:27 dalek : [lib] Added pirc_2_pasm_* functions to Parrot::Test to improve testing of pirc.
23:27 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32734
23:39 dalek r32735 | kjs++ | trunk:
23:39 dalek : [pirc] add a first test file.
23:39 dalek : + fix output of pirc a bit to make it testable.
23:39 dalek : + update MANIFEST
23:39 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32735
23:40 lu_zero question: where is a tutorial considering parrot installed in the system?
23:40 lu_zero (maybe stupid question)
23:41 chromatic I'm not sure I understand the question.
23:41 lu_zero chromatic I'm updating the parrot ebuild in gentoo
23:42 lu_zero and I'm trying to install it so it won't spew random directories in /usr
23:42 dalek r32736 | kjs++ | trunk:
23:42 dalek : [pirc] fix properties of test file and add coda and copyright statement.
23:42 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32736
23:43 lu_zero I sort of managed to get it done but now beside feeding parrot with hello world I didn't do much to make sure it works correctly
23:45 chromatic reini knows more about that.
23:45 lu_zero how to contact him?
23:47 chromatic I'm looking at the draft PDD right now.
23:47 chromatic Although sending an email to parrot-porters@perl.org is a good step too.
23:47 dalek r32737 | tewk++ | trunk:
23:47 dalek : [tools] nci_test_gen.pl nci tests generator
23:47 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32737
23:47 chromatic lu_zero, see /docs/pdds/draft/pdd30_install.pod for the current thouhts.
23:47 chromatic thoughts
23:47 purl "I'm never here, I'm never here, I'm never here  /  never a bird, or a flower in the tree, or the pain of the respect thereof..."
23:51 dalek r32738 | chromatic++ | trunk:
23:51 dalek : [pirc] Added t/harness to run pirc tests; added code to run the harness to the
23:51 dalek : Makefile.
23:51 dalek diff: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=32738
23:53 lu_zero it's quite enlightening =)
23:56 * Tene reminds particle to write something about ticket dependancy graphs eventually.

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Parrot | source cross referenced