Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #parrot, 2009-01-13

Parrot | source cross referenced

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:08 AndyA joined #parrot
00:10 chromatic joined #parrot
00:11 Whiteknight joined #parrot
00:14 dalek r35462 | kjs++ | trunk/compilers/pirc/src (3 files):
00:14 dalek : [pirc] PIRC didnt' properly unescape double-quoted strings. This is fixed now, but in a hacky and inefficient way. This must certainly be fixed at some point. Preferably there is a string_unescape_cstring() function returning a c-string, not a STRING. One solution would be to have a function string_unescape_cstring_to_cstring() that does the main work, and string_unescape_cstring calling that function and converting it into a STRING. Otherwise I'll probably
00:14 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35462
00:18 * jonathan -> sleep
00:35 dalek r35463 | Whiteknight++ | branches:
00:35 dalek : creating a branch to rip out STM
00:35 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35463
00:35 Limbic_Region joined #parrot
00:36 Whiteknight joined #parrot
00:54 Fayland joined #parrot
01:00 dalek r35464 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm/src (2 files):
01:00 dalek : [remove_stm] remove code references to STM from core files
01:00 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35464
01:06 cotto Whiteknight, don't forget those silly stub STM PMC tests in t/pmc/stm*t.
01:07 Whiteknight Yeah, I'm pulling out the pmcs themselves right now. I'll get the tests after that
01:07 cotto They won't be missed.
01:07 cotto Whiteknight++
01:07 Whiteknight I only do it because I'm a karma whore
01:07 Whiteknight :)
01:09 dalek r35465 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm (4 files):
01:09 dalek : [remove_stm] removing the src/pmc/stm* PMCs
01:09 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35465
01:09 davidfetter joined #parrot
01:11 dalek r35466 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm (4 files):
01:11 dalek : [remove_stm] remove the silly t/pmc/stm* tests for the PMCs I just yanked
01:11 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35466
01:13 tetragon joined #parrot
01:16 dalek r35467 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm (3 files):
01:16 dalek : [remove_stm] remove include/parrot/stm/* and src/stm/* code files
01:16 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35467
01:17 AndyA joined #parrot
01:19 dalek r35468 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm/docs:
01:19 dalek : [remove_stm] remove stm-related docs
01:19 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35468
01:19 dalek r35469 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm:
01:19 dalek : [remove_stm] remove stm-related docs from MANIFEST
01:19 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35469
01:21 dalek r35470 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm (2 files):
01:21 dalek : [remove_stm] remove src/ops/stm.ops
01:21 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35470
01:21 particle joined #parrot
01:22 GeJ Good morning everyone
01:23 Whiteknight good morning GeJ
01:23 cotto morning Gej
01:26 dalek r35471 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm/lib/Parrot/Pmc2c (2 files):
01:26 dalek : [remove_stm] removing some references in the pmc2c perl code
01:26 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35471
01:27 dalek r35472 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm/t:
01:27 dalek : [remove_stm] removing some other stm-related tests
01:27 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35472
01:27 GeJ hello Whiteknight, cotto
01:30 dalek r35473 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm (2 files):
01:30 dalek : [remove_stm] remove some more STM references from perl code
01:30 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35473
01:46 dalek r35474 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm/runtime/parrot/library:
01:46 dalek : [remove_stm] remove runtime/parrot/library/STM.pir
01:46 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35474
01:51 jimmy joined #parrot
01:51 jimmy test
01:52 cotto test?
01:52 purl testing 123 abc 4red 12blue 9green
01:52 jimmy I am using web irc at mibbit.com
01:53 cotto that's nice when someone's blocking the irc port
01:54 jimmy yes, the firewall blocked me.
01:56 cotto good old Universal Firewall Bypass Protocol, aka http
01:57 Whiteknight how do we renumber the ops?
01:57 cotto GeJ, have you mailed in a CLA?
01:57 Coke_away in a config'd parrot, "make opsrenumber"
01:57 Coke then re-config and rebuild.
01:57 Coke also, update PBC_COMPAT
01:57 Whiteknight Coke++
01:57 Whiteknight that works fine
01:59 * jimmy still don't know why there were duplicate lines in PBC_COMPAT.
01:59 Coke we can delete the duplicate. the whole file will probably be wiped as of 1.0
02:00 jimmy coke++ again.
02:02 TiMBuS i put my code on github and realized i dont have any copyright in there or anything. does parrot mandate a specific license or anything?
02:04 jimmy left #parrot
02:04 GeJ cotto: Oh, I thought that it worked th other way around : you propose my name during #ps, and if I get approved I send the CLA.
02:04 GeJ But I can send one tomorrow anyway.
02:05 allison joined #parrot
02:05 GeJ When is #ps starting?
02:05 jimmy joined #parrot
02:06 dalek r35475 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm (6 files):
02:06 dalek : [removing_stm] a few misc changes to get Parrot to build again, and update BC_COMPAT
02:06 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35475
02:06 GeJ Whiteknight: I thought stm was a good thing. Like it allowed us to have continuations...
02:06 Whiteknight GeJ, you're about 17 hours early
02:06 Whiteknight GeJ, STM isn't being used currently
02:06 Whiteknight and what it does is allows inter-thread communication
02:07 GeJ oh yes... your tuesday afternoon... sorry.
02:09 GeJ well, then rip off the damn thing, I say.
02:14 Whiteknight don't worry, I am ripping the hell out of it
02:14 Whiteknight this poor subsystem is going to wish it was never written
02:20 cotto GeJ, I'm just trying to streamline the process.
02:20 cotto The CLAs usually take a while to arrive and get processed (i.e. 1-2 weeks).
02:21 Whiteknight yeah, mine took a while
02:21 cotto It's not urgent, though.  I'll happily continue applying your patches.
02:21 Whiteknight and they tried to speed it up for GSOC
02:22 GeJ cotto: Ok, I'll send mine first thing tomorrow.
02:25 Whiteknight GeJ++
02:37 dalek r35476 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm/t/steps:
02:37 dalek : [removing_stm] remove another stm mention in the tests
02:37 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35476
02:43 Whiteknight okay, I'm making fulltest right now, and assuming the log comes back clean (or mostly clean) I'm going to merge the branch back in
02:45 kid51 joined #parrot
02:45 kid51 Good evening.
02:46 kid51 Coke ping
02:47 Whiteknight good evening kid51
02:48 kid51 Hello.  Am wondering:  Does anyone have anything to say about https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/160 (the code stuff, not the SVN stuff)?
02:49 GeJ heya kid51
02:49 kid51 Hi.  Did you have any more concerns about that patch -- particularly the Unicode part.
02:51 AndyA joined #parrot
02:58 nopaste "GeJ" at 202.22.229.231 pasted "t/library/data_escape.t: Unicode tests, Perl vs. PIR" (70 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15291
02:59 Whiteknight goodnight gentlement
02:59 GeJ This is a before-after view of the test for anyone interested.
03:00 GeJ I think the logic is good (I should have added comments), but I may be wrong.
03:01 jimmy Gej++
03:02 jimmy karam GeJ
03:02 * GeJ guesses 22
03:03 GeJ karma me
03:03 purl gej has karma of 24
03:05 tewk joined #parrot
03:06 SunConure joined #parrot
03:07 SunConure I wish Ovid's blog post at http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/38271 was a tad more descriptive. :\
03:07 SunConure An example would perhaps make it ever so slightly more digestable. :-)
03:09 SunConure Because I'm left, at the very least, interested in seeing if I can make a contribution there. But there's insufficient specificity for me to make that determination.
03:09 jimmy SunConure++
03:09 Tene pmichaud: ping?
03:10 jimmy SunConure: here https://trac.parrot.org/parrot​/wiki/NewParrotDeveloperGuide
03:10 SunConure I guess I'm wondering if, from just knowing Perl 5 well, can I "Then all you need to do is fix one of the Pugs tests listed in the parrot repository's languages/perl6/t/spectest.data" ?
03:11 cotto pugs stuff happens more in #perl6 on Freenode, although lots of Rakudo stuff happens here
03:11 SunConure jimmy: thanks - I'll check it out momentarilly
03:11 GeJ SunConure: if you're looking at working on the tests specs, you may want to have a look at #perl6 on Efnet.
03:11 GeJ s/Efnet/Freenode/
03:11 GeJ cotto++
03:12 SunConure Can someone that just know Perl 5 (well) contribute effectively to parrot itself?
03:12 SunConure s/know/knows/
03:12 jimmy did I mistake?
03:13 Tene purl: msg pmichaud I'm getting test failures with my patch to move rakudo to .HLL 'perl6' because of null pmc errors with string arguments to isa
03:13 purl Message for pmichaud stored.
03:13 Tene purl: msg pmichaud isa element, 'Perl6Scalar'
03:13 purl Message for pmichaud stored.
03:13 kid51 SunConure:  Well, I fall into that category and I've been committing since late Dec 2006.
03:13 cotto SunConure, we have a lot of perl5 infrastructure
03:13 SunConure :O
03:14 SunConure I'm *very* interested in helping there. I do Perl infrastructure work at work :-)
03:14 nopaste "tene" at 166.70.38.237 pasted "Preliminary .HLL 'perl6' patch for pmichaud++" (307 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15292
03:14 kid51 SunConure:  OTOH, that infrastructure is simultaneously (a) well-developed and (b) scheduled to be gradually replaced so that Parrot is no longer dependent on Perl 5.
03:14 SunConure That makes sense.
03:15 SunConure Parrot will eventually want to be self-hosting :-)
03:15 cotto it'll be a while, though
03:16 kid51 There are a couple of RT tickets that have not been touched that could be pure Perl 5:  http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Tic​ket/Display.html?id=58990
03:17 kid51 http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Tic​ket/Display.html?id=58990
03:17 SunConure So, the infrastructure stuff in Perl 5 seems to be in tools/* ?
03:17 cotto and lib
03:18 kid51 It's all over.  Configure.pl is Perl 5.  tools/ -- yes.  And, corresponding thereto, t/tools/*
03:18 kid51 lib/Parrot/ as well
03:18 SunConure ah yes
03:18 Coke kid51: pong.
03:19 kid51 Coke:  Are you satisfied with https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/160 ?
03:20 Coke I haven't reviewed the changes, no.
03:21 Coke Doesn't need to be me, though.
03:21 Coke sorry.
03:22 kid51 Well, I don't know enough PIR to absolutely confirm that GeJ did the transformation correctly.  And GeJ had some concerns about the Unicode tests.
03:22 Coke Yup. I'd just mark the ticket as needed someone to review it, give it away, and leave it open.
03:22 kid51 (The tests are all passing.)
03:24 kid51 ok, that's what I did.
03:25 Coke +1
03:25 purl 1
03:26 jdv79 joined #parrot
03:26 jdv79 does rakudo build the STD grammar?
03:27 Fayland joined #parrot
03:32 particle1 joined #parrot
03:33 kid51 I'm seeing this too often:  Oops�
03:33 kid51 Trac detected an internal error:
03:33 kid51 OperationalError: database is locked
03:33 purl i already had it that way, kid51.
03:34 * jimmy hadn't seen that yet.
03:37 Fayland joined #parrot
03:37 GeJ kid51: I just added one last comment to the ticket for posterity (and summerizing my concerns)
03:38 kid51 Thx.  If no one else has anything to say, I'll close the ticket in a couple of days.
03:38 * kid51 must sleep
03:38 purl $kid51->sleep(8 * 3600);
03:38 GeJ good night
03:47 cotto jdv79, Rakudo's (decreasingly divergent) STD.pm is in languages/perl6/src/parser/grammar.pg
04:01 elmex_ joined #parrot
04:04 ask_ joined #parrot
04:18 silug joined #parrot
05:08 AndyA joined #parrot
05:18 chromatic joined #parrot
05:23 Coke_away chromatic: hello.
05:23 * Coke realizes a bit late that he had meant to dial back into work this evening.
05:24 chromatic ahoy
05:30 GeJ what time is it on the west coast? 10:30 PM ?
05:30 purl GeJ: It's just about half past five in the morning where I am.
05:33 leto joined #parrot
05:36 dalek r35477 | tewk++ | trunk/languages/ecmascript (7 files):
05:36 dalek : [js] moved to a .HLL, removed incorrect methods Set and Get from Array, add get_string to Array
05:36 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35477
05:41 Coke time?
05:41 purl time is probably 05:41:20 2009 and (did you mean "clock"?) or flowing like a river
05:41 Coke clock?
05:41 purl Coke: LAX: Mon 9:41pm PST / CHI: Mon 11:41pm CST / NYC: Tue 12:41am EST / LON: Tue 5:41am GMT / BER: Tue 6:41am CET / IND: Tue 11:11am IST / TOK: Tue 2:41pm JST / SYD: Tue 4:41pm EST /
05:41 Coke GeJ: there ya go.
05:41 Coke time? clock?
05:44 particle joined #parrot
05:47 allison joined #parrot
05:55 Coke particle: you still working remotely for $DAYJOB ?
06:03 jimmy joined #parrot
06:13 Coke allison: you around?
06:13 allison Coke: yup
06:21 GeJ Coke: shiny... thanks :)
06:24 dalek r35478 | coke++ | trunk:
06:24 dalek : add another missing ticket #.
06:24 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35478
06:32 AndyA joined #parrot
06:49 jsut|work joined #parrot
06:51 Coke allison: hurm.
06:52 Coke I think I summed it up in mail to list.
06:52 Coke "DEPRECATION Roundup, 0.9.0"
06:52 Coke I have no idea how to fix the last remaining issue for remove_pic
06:52 chromatic Allison or I will have to do that probably.
06:53 Coke that's and commenting on #47011 would probably be the biggest bang for the buck from allison.
06:53 Coke I can probably do 58410 and 48014 if time permits.
06:53 Coke be nice if 60626 could be administratively resolved.
06:53 Coke ISTR chromatic has found that function cannot be removed by mortal men.
06:54 Coke I can only hope that 60586 is a SMO-merging.
06:54 Coke (but I doubt it)
06:55 Coke I have an idea on 36283.
06:56 Coke no, that won't work (have another :flag to mark something as amenable to assign syntax. still a PITA, not more help than just having an initial OUT param.)
06:59 pdcawley joined #parrot
07:03 chromatic mmd_cvt_to_types isn't going to go away any time soon.
07:04 allison chromatic: what's using it?
07:04 purl it has been said that using it is asking for troubles, it will cause more work than doing right from the beginning
07:04 Coke my vote? resolve the ticket, but note that one remaining function.
07:04 chromatic All MMD dispatch uses it.
07:04 Fayland joined #parrot
07:05 allison chromatic: ah, right that's down in the low-level MMD guts that I left as-is
07:05 chromatic *Something* has to convert a type name to a type number.
07:05 allison chromatic: we could at least rename it to something sane
07:05 allison chromatic: yup
07:05 chromatic I'll think of a better name.
07:06 allison I would consider a sensible rename "done" on that one.
07:07 Coke hurm. does trac have an option to enable dates for tickets?
07:07 Coke (start, end, estimated completion)
07:07 Coke (not for parrot)
07:11 allison Coke: I don't see a way of adding arbitrary fields. But, if we had them, would people use them? I've never used that stuff in RT.
07:11 Coke (not for parrot)
07:11 allison Coke: ah, I see, I was having trouble parsing that phrase into the whole
07:12 allison Coke: there might be a plugin for track
07:12 allison trac
07:12 allison there
07:12 allison there's a plugin for just about everything
07:13 allison http://trac-hacks.org/
07:15 jimmy 3could Timeline be more temporary at trac? it keeps a month.
07:16 allison Coke: on RT #47011, does "blech, I'm sick of revisiting this stupid ticket, make it go away" count as a comment? No, I suppose not. :) I'll make a more useful comment.
07:17 Coke allison: ISTR we had a conversation about this, which I don't seem to have recorded on ticket. My apologies.
07:18 Coke I must go to bed. too much dayjob, and it starts again in 5 hours or so.
07:18 allison oh, not a bad on you, mainly just a frustration with old code that depends on broken old code :)
07:18 allison night
07:19 allison Coke: and, I'm trying to remember the details of the conversation too
07:40 namenlos joined #parrot
07:51 iblechbot joined #parrot
07:56 Fayland_ joined #parrot
07:58 ask_ joined #parrot
08:00 dalek r35479 | allison++ | branches/pcc_invoke_convert/src/pmc:
08:00 dalek : [calling_conventions] Re-removing unnecessary mark from CPointer PMC.
08:00 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35479
08:00 dalek r35480 | allison++ | branches/pcc_invoke_convert/src:
08:00 dalek : [calling conventions] Some conversions of Parrot_PCCINVOKE that pass all tests.
08:00 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35480
08:04 particle1 joined #parrot
08:10 moritz pmichaud: spectest-progress.csv says that we dropped from 6172 passing tests (2009-01-09) to 6141 (2009-01-10) - do you know what happened? did we really regress on 30 tests? if so, we should have a ticket for those IMHO
08:36 Hinrik joined #parrot
08:38 jimmy joined #parrot
09:05 dalek r35481 | simon++ | branches/strings/docs/pdds:
09:05 dalek : A raw "C string" doesn't mean anything any more, must have encoding and
09:05 dalek : charset. No default can be assumed because only the producer knows what it is.
09:05 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35481
09:18 masak joined #parrot
09:27 donaldh joined #parrot
09:35 jimmy left #parrot
09:36 jimmy joined #parrot
09:41 riffraff joined #parrot
09:43 namenlos joined #parrot
09:52 jimmy left #parrot
10:11 barney joined #parrot
10:18 jimmy joined #parrot
10:22 cotto joined #parrot
10:24 particle joined #parrot
10:35 cotto joined #parrot
10:36 cotto clearwire--
10:37 cotto (at least it works eventually)
10:39 alvar joined #parrot
10:54 elmex joined #parrot
10:59 dalek r35482 | fperrad++ | trunk/languages/lua/src/lib:
10:59 dalek : [Lua] markdown
10:59 dalek : - update Markdown interface (see r35437)
10:59 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35482
11:04 dalek r35483 | fperrad++ | trunk/languages/lua/src/lib (2 files):
11:04 dalek : [Lua] traceback
11:04 dalek : - refactor
11:04 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35483
11:05 dalek r35484 | fperrad++ | trunk/languages/lua/t:
11:05 dalek : [Lua]
11:05 dalek : - fix test : now, hash seed is randomized
11:05 purl i already had it that way, dalek.
11:05 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35484
11:05 cotto purl, ignore dalek
11:05 purl cotto: sorry...
11:06 cotto purl, make me a sandwich
11:06 purl cotto: sorry...
11:06 cotto purl, apologize
11:06 purl cotto: i'm not following you...
11:06 cotto purl, act confused
11:06 purl cotto: i'm not following you...
11:08 masak purl's nemesis?
11:08 masak purl, purl's nemesis is masak.
11:08 purl OK, masak.
11:08 masak purl's nemesis?
11:08 purl it has been said that my nemesis is masak.
11:12 rdice joined #parrot
11:16 cotto purl, your nemesis?
11:16 purl purl's nemesis is masak.
11:16 cotto purl, your mom?
11:16 purl pemungkah's mother is a saint! or capable of multiplexed I/O.
11:16 cotto purl, your mom?
11:16 purl pemungkah's mother is a saint! or capable of multiplexed I/O.
11:27 Hunger joined #parrot
12:06 jonathan hi all
12:25 tetragon joined #parrot
12:31 dalek r35485 | jonathan++ | trunk/languages/perl6/src/parser:
12:31 dalek : [rakudo] For now, when we add_type we will put it not in the current blocks's symbol table, but instead we will search outwards to find the first one representing a package and put it there. This deals with the final regression test failure that enabling the type registration brings up. It does mean lexical classes etc would be too visible - aside from the fact that we don't actually implement them yet, so we'll work out a solution to this when we get there
12:31 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35485
12:32 dalek r35486 | jonathan++ | trunk/languages/perl6/src/parser:
12:32 dalek : [rakudo] Enable the type registry. Causes no regressions in the spectests or sanity tests.
12:32 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35486
12:33 particle1 joined #parrot
12:34 * jonathan waves at particle1
12:35 jonathan particle1: Type registry for Rakudo just went in.
12:36 * lathos gets sidetracked from Parrot hacking by wedding list aggregator hacking.
13:06 dalek r35487 | jonathan++ | trunk/languages/perl6/src/parser:
13:06 dalek : [rakudo] Parse parametric role declarations. (Note - trying to write one will just cause a runtime explosion; this is just the parsing!)
13:06 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35487
13:31 iblechbot joined #parrot
13:35 AndyA joined #parrot
13:38 riffraff joined #parrot
13:40 Lorn joined #parrot
13:41 kj joined #parrot
13:47 mberends joined #parrot
13:58 Whiteknight joined #parrot
14:05 gryphon joined #parrot
14:47 mj41_ joined #parrot
14:52 dalek r35488 | kjs++ | trunk/docs/pdds:
14:52 dalek : [pdd19] Be more explicit; if you don't specify a :main flag, execution starts at the top.
14:52 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35488
14:54 particle joined #parrot
14:54 bacek joined #parrot
15:01 barney Has anybody else seen intermittent segfaults in  cat t/op/arithmetics_27.pir ?
15:03 moritz I haven't
15:08 nopaste "barney" at 84.154.53.164 pasted "intermittent failures in t/op/arithmetics_27.pir under Linux" (83 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15293
15:10 ruoso joined #parrot
15:11 dalek r35489 | pmichaud++ | trunk/languages/perl6/docs:
15:11 dalek : [rakudo]: spectest-progress.csv update: 282 files, 6233 passing, 0 failing
15:11 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35489
15:12 * jonathan wonders if we can hit 7,000 by the end of the month
15:14 moritz (7000-6233)/(13-13)
15:14 moritz purl: where are you when I need your service?
15:14 purl moritz: i don't know
15:14 moritz rakudo: (7000-6233)/(13-13)
15:14 polyglotbot OUTPUT[Divide by zero␤current instr.: 'infix:/' pc 19791 (src/builtins/op.pir:186)␤called from Sub '_block14' pc 109 (EVAL_15:48)␤called from Sub '!UNIT_START' pc 17124 (src/builtins/guts.pir:320)␤called from Sub 'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;eval' pc 950 (src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:527)␤called from Sub
15:14 polyglotbot ..'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;evalfiles' pc 1275 (src/PCT...
15:14 moritz (7000-6233)/(31-13)
15:14 purl 42.6111111111111
15:15 moritz that's quite a lot
15:15 pmichaud trying to get to 7k by the end of jan?
15:15 moritz 43 nes passing tests per day
15:15 pmichaud that'd be a bit.
15:16 moritz implementing infix:<also> would get us quite some tests from rx.t
15:16 pmichaud do we still need .does ?
15:17 * jonathan tires to remember what infix:also is
15:17 pmichaud jonathan: it's a fancy form of 'and'
15:17 pmichaud sorry, 'all'
15:17 jonathan ah, ok
15:17 moritz it's "all" with ordered execution
15:17 pmichaud it's either trivial for us to implement, or it's not :-)
15:17 pmichaud it may just be another Junction type for now.
15:17 moritz yes.
15:18 * jonathan is working on parametric roles.
15:18 pmichaud jonathan: why does registering a new type have to be in a package block?
15:19 jonathan { class Foo::Bar { ... } }
15:19 jonathan { Foo::Bar.new() }
15:19 jonathan Foo::Bar goes into the package.
15:19 jonathan If we just register it in the current block, it isn't visible in the next block down.
15:20 pmichaud hmmm.
15:20 jonathan (Actually doens't matter at all that I wrote Foo::Bar, I coulda written just Foo...)
15:20 pmichaud okay, I can live with that (for now :-)
15:20 jonathan Right. I know we'll have to re-visit it at some point.
15:20 pmichaud also, I'm not sure about the term fixups for package things... but we'll clean that up later also
15:21 pmichaud I don't think we should be processing <name> in the term rule.
15:21 jonathan It is a little verbose.
15:21 jonathan lot of similar-ish code
15:22 pmichaud I'll put it on my list of things to look at.
15:22 jonathan Cool
15:22 pmichaud Other than those two items, everything looks fantastic.  Great job.
15:22 jonathan Thanks. :-)
15:22 jonathan Thanks for all the input on it too.
15:22 pmichaud did you close/mark the relevant rt tickets?  ;-)
15:22 jonathan No, saving that for later on.
15:22 pmichaud okay.
15:23 jonathan My brain is vaguely functional at the moment (not been sleeping great and bad stomach are a distraction), so trying to get a first cut of parametric roles in place.
15:23 pmichaud yeah, I've been fighting something for the last few days also.  :-|
15:23 PerlJam it seems to be going around.
15:24 PerlJam yesterday we had about 6 people absent from work due to illness of one form or another.
15:24 jonathan I think partly the cold here is wearing me down a bit.
15:24 PerlJam jonathan: what's the temp where you're at?
15:24 jonathan It hasn't been above freezing so far this year.
15:24 pmichaud 1 degC here :-)
15:25 jonathan -6C at the moment.
15:25 jonathan Which isn't *so* bad - if you're used to it.
15:25 * PerlJam doesn't feel so bad about the ~7degC to ~ 18degC weather here now  :)
15:26 jonathan Trouble is, I lived in south Spain last winter, and nasty as the UK weather can be, it's not this persistently cold.
15:31 Theory joined #parrot
15:54 rhr joined #parrot
15:55 dalek r35490 | bernhard++ | trunk/languages/pipp/docs (2 files):
15:55 dalek : [Pipp] Update docs WRT namespaces.
15:55 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35490
15:58 donaldh any thoughts on how the rvar refactor might have broken NCI?
15:58 donaldh I'm trying to look into it, but frankly don't really know where to start.
15:59 donaldh suggestions for how to break down the problem would be greatly appreciated.
16:03 Infinoid donaldh: for lack of any better suggestions, maybe see if it happens in rvar/rvar2 branch checkouts, and if so, bisect it there?
16:04 donaldh Infinoid: fair suggestion.
16:05 donaldh I guess I'll trip over broken iterations some of the time, but it could help.
16:05 Infinoid got a test case?
16:05 alvar joined #parrot
16:19 allison joined #parrot
16:29 Casan lathos: hi, have you heard anything from Tim Bunce or anyone else about DBDI for parrot recently?
16:31 donaldh Infinoid: http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Tic​ket/Display.html?id=62244
16:31 Casan has anyone? :)
16:31 moritz depends on what you mean by "recently"
16:32 Casan moritz: last mention I have is around dec 6th 08, and then I heard it was not far from something which could actually be tested in some basic form.
16:33 moritz but that wasn't Tim's effort, afaict
16:33 donaldh Casan: there's some prototype SQLite3 DBDI code in ext/SQLite3
16:34 donaldh It breaks rakudo just now, see RT#62244
16:34 Casan ohh, an overview of who's actively working on this important feature could help the initiative.
16:34 pmichaud I just responded to #62244 a short while ago.
16:34 moritz probably "none" atm
16:36 * donaldh is trying to use it.
16:37 Casan heh, ok its cooking slowly, ok I'll take a look at the trunks
16:37 donaldh pmichaud: reading it now.
16:44 donaldh pmichaud: so Rakudo will be given a Parrot Pointer PMC and will create an ObjectRef PMC, but will then pass the ObjectRef PMC into the next NCI call ?
16:45 pmichaud donaldh: I don't know what specifically happens for Pointer PMCs.
16:45 pmichaud but yes, it tends to want to put things into types it understands.
16:45 pmichaud that's why I need a small test case to work from :-)
16:46 pmichaud we could potentially make Rakudo understand the Pointer PMC such that it doesn't create ObjectRef.
16:46 donaldh Okay, that could explain the SQLITE_MISUSE error I get.
16:46 donaldh The simple test case was mentioned in the ticket.
16:46 pmichaud I didn't see it -- checking again.
16:47 donaldh ext/SQLite3/t/test.p6
16:47 pmichaud oh, sorry, that doesn't fit my idea of "simple"  :-)
16:48 donaldh k.
16:48 pmichaud yes, it's simple from the p6 end, but it means I have to go figure out everything that DBDI is doing.
16:48 donaldh I can try and remove the DBDI stuff.
16:48 donaldh It's admittedly more complex than it needs to be.
16:49 donaldh I'll see if I can produce a single file test case using the q:PIR syntax.
16:50 pmichaud that's fine.  Even knowing that we're dealing with Pointer PMCs is a lot more than I knew before.
16:51 davidfetter joined #parrot
16:51 pmichaud where does the Pointer PMC end up?
16:51 pmichaud (being stored)
16:52 pmichaud looks like it's stored in $dbHandle;
16:52 donaldh In a data member.
16:52 donaldh Yes, you beat me to it.
16:53 pmichaud yes, I'm guessing the problem is that $dbHandle is being wrapped in an ObjectRef.
16:53 pmichaud or, more precisely, a Perl6Scalar PMC
16:54 pmichaud and so that Scalar is what gets passed to the other functions.
16:56 donaldh That makes sense. And NCI just gets a pointer from the Scalar.
16:56 pmichaud well, NCI actually gets the Scalar.  I suspect that confuses it, as it's expecting a Pointer.
16:58 lathos Casan: My next stage is to rewrite DBDI using NCI.pm
16:58 lathos Unfortunately it's all going on in http://dev.simon-cozens.org/6pan/browser/trunk right now.
17:00 pmichaud #parrotsketch in 90
17:00 lathos Doubly unfortunately, as usual, I am trying to do too many things at once, and thrashing.
17:01 desertmax joined #parrot
17:01 donaldh pmichaud: thanks, I'll poke around later.
17:02 pmichaud the short-term fix would probably be to get Rakudo to recognize Pointer PMCs as scalar objects.
17:02 pmichaud although that wouldn't help in the case of Pointer-as-parameter, since those get wrapped in ObjectRef also.
17:04 pmichaud the real answer may be to get Rakudo's dispatcher to unwrap any ObjectRefs from arguments prior to invoking non-Rakudo-generated subs.
17:04 pmichaud (including self)
17:05 pmichaud jonathan is probably the only one who knows how hard/easy that would be.
17:05 jonathan please easy please easy!
17:05 * jonathan reads scrollback
17:06 pmichaud jonathan: I can summarize
17:06 jonathan It's OK, I get it.
17:06 pmichaud okay.
17:06 pmichaud non-Rakudo-generated subs would tend to be "subs without !signature"
17:06 jonathan That check becomes cheap if we have .HLL because then we easily know if we're calling out of Rakudo.
17:06 Casan lathos: thanks for the update. It will also be an important piece of parrot when ready.
17:06 pmichaud or that
17:06 jonathan Oh, we can pick it on that too.
17:06 pmichaud :-)
17:07 jonathan Anyway, I need to deal with dispatchy things soon anyway.
17:07 lathos Right now my priority is Unicode.
17:07 jonathan To do auto-threading.
17:07 pmichaud we already have the !signature (or lack of one) from doing dispatch anyway.  But I suspect HLL is a better approach.
17:07 pmichaud well, maybe not.
17:07 pmichaud anyway, would it be hard to deref the objectref arguments?
17:08 jonathan It's fragile if another language has it's own $!signature
17:08 jonathan Well, I guess really it's just detecting if the call is going "outside"
17:08 jonathan And if so doing deref on each of them.
17:08 pmichaud right
17:08 jonathan We need to add a layer of indirection to dispatch anyway for the auto-threading.
17:08 pmichaud "if language has its own signature" isn't so bad -- we should probably check that $!signature is a Rakudo Signature anyway.
17:09 pmichaud (if we're worried about that case)
17:09 jonathan Right, but by the time we did that, we coulda probably more cheaply checked the HLL. But as a first cut, $!signature is fine.
17:09 pmichaud we can always do  $!rakudo_signature instead of $!signature
17:09 jonathan True.
17:09 pmichaud I figure we'll have the signature anyway.
17:09 jonathan *nod*
17:09 pmichaud anyway, that's probably the better long-term approach to this.
17:10 jonathan I think that once we get the extra level of indirection into the dispatch, this won't be too hard.
17:10 jonathan I know where to put it for method dispatch.
17:10 jonathan (metaclass' dispatch method)
17:11 jonathan Not so sure on sub calls yet.
17:11 pmichaud well, we have to autothread subcalls also, so it ought to be similar.
17:11 jonathan Aye.
17:11 pmichaud anyway, I have to take Paula to lunch.
17:11 pmichaud bbiaw.
17:11 purl somebody said bbiaw was something silly for Coke.
17:11 jonathan Well, I did have ponderings about a way to do it without having to add a level of indirection.
17:11 jonathan OK, after lunch. :-)
17:12 * jonathan goes back to trying to get a first cut of parametric roles
17:14 particle1 joined #parrot
17:15 dalek r35491 | fperrad++ | trunk/languages/befunge (2 files):
17:15 dalek : [befunge]
17:15 dalek : - improve exception handling
17:15 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35491
17:18 tomyan left #parrot
17:25 wknight8111 joined #parrot
17:29 jhorwitz joined #parrot
17:36 andrew_ joined #parrot
17:40 dalek r35492 | bernhard++ | trunk/languages/pipp (4 files):
17:40 dalek : [Pipp] Support only the bracketed syntax for namespaces.
17:41 dalek : Update the tests.
17:41 dalek : Remove the test for case insensitive namespaces,
17:41 dalek : as namespaces are case sensitive.
17:41 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35492
17:46 cognominal joined #parrot
17:47 particle1 coke: i have been out of work since 28nov2008, so no, i'm not telecommuting anymore
17:49 Whiteknight particle1: that's lousy, I'm sorry to hear that.
17:50 PerlJam particle1: did you apply for this job?  http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090113/od_afp/li​festyleaustraliatourismoffbeat_20090113032028
17:50 shorten PerlJam's url is at http://xrl.us/becerh
17:50 * jhorwitz thinks that job would actually suit particle
17:53 chromatic joined #parrot
17:54 kj Casan: I'll ask Tim tomorrow about the status, I'll be meeting him then
17:56 particle1 kj: give him my greetings
17:58 kj particle1: will do.
17:59 chromatic particle1, any news on the Bugs?
18:01 masak joined #parrot
18:01 kj I preposted my #ps report, have to leave now :-(
18:03 particle1 chromatic: no news yet, but they just went through ces, and i'm sure had a busy time there. i'll check into it
18:03 chromatic I have a G1 coming soon to poke at.
18:04 pdcawley joined #parrot
18:04 particle dev?
18:04 purl rumour has it dev is leaving
18:05 masak oh noes, dev is leaving!
18:05 chromatic Yes, that's the plan.
18:07 Whiteknight irclog?
18:07 purl i guess irclog is http://irclog.perlgeek.de/parrot/today or see also: infrared clogs
18:08 jonathan infrared clogs?
18:08 purl infrared clogs are like ruby slippers, but more so
18:09 Coke_away particle: did I already ask you if you knew cold fusion? =-)
18:09 Coke_away (though we just hired a FT onshore for that.)
18:10 jq what is the official home of STD.pm?
18:10 chromatic That's cruel and unusual employment.
18:10 PerlJam jq: the pugs repo
18:11 PerlJam jq: did you want the exact url?
18:11 jq no, that's enough information
18:11 jq thanks
18:11 coke chromatic: pays the bills. sort of. well, some of them. :|
18:12 gryphon joined #parrot
18:12 * coke is forwarded a link to a link to the request for grant proposals from TPF, with a hint I might want to apply.
18:14 rurban joined #parrot
18:15 * coke responds with a kind word and a link to the list of grant committe members.
18:17 PerlJam coke: maybe it was a suggestion that you resign?  ;)
18:18 coke :P
18:19 hercynium joined #parrot
18:20 particle coke: i'm sure you could help me doctor my resume to look like i know cf, but doesn't that hurt to do every day?
18:22 nopaste "particle" at 76.121.106.245 pasted "chromatic: non-functional stab at inf/nan" (68 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15294
18:23 particle chromatic: i spent 10m on this a few days ago, but ran into problems with headerizer and lost track of what i was doing
18:23 particle i can pick it up later, but thought you should have a look
18:23 riffraff joined #parrot
18:24 chromatic Looking.
18:24 coke particle: given I used to get paid to write /java/, this is a step up.
18:24 riffraff hi
18:24 coke (though I'm tempted to use groovy instead.)
18:24 chromatic I once made money maintaining an ASP/VB app.
18:24 coke see, we're all whores.
18:25 coke I just happen to have a decent health plan and gym membership.
18:25 chromatic No, I mean on one day.
18:25 chromatic particle, Andy's likely to suggest you use the STREQ macro.
18:25 coke dillitente.
18:25 particle STREQ++
18:25 chromatic If divide_by_zero() is portable across compilers, I think it's a good start.
18:26 chromatic #ps in 5
18:26 particle i am getting a warning about STRING * to const char *
18:27 lathos class Foo { ... }; # If this meant to work?
18:27 coke particle: you want CONST_STRING
18:27 lathos rakudo: class Foo { ... };
18:27 polyglotbot OUTPUT[No exception handler and no message␤current instr.: 'return' pc 15424 (src/builtins/control.pir:39)␤called from Sub 'fail' pc 15496 (src/builtins/control.pir:71)␤called from Sub '...' pc 15712 (src/builtins/control.pir:177)␤called from Sub 'parrot;Foo;_block20' pc 93 (EVAL_19:49)␤called from
18:27 polyglotbot ..Sub 'parrot;PCT;HLLCompiler;evalpmc' pc 888 (sr...
18:27 coke you can't just cast a c string into a parrot string.
18:27 particle is ... implemented?
18:27 coke chromatic: can you run #ps today? I have an actual physical coworker who may interrupt me.
18:28 particle coke, interrupted.
18:28 particle there's a scary image.
18:28 coke i'm cuter than winona.
18:29 chromatic I have several actual physical coworkers who may interrupt me, but I'll do my best.
18:29 chromatic particle, I keep planning to implement ... and compare that to my work implementing it in Perl 5.
18:29 chromatic I just haven't done it yet.
18:29 chromatic #ps in 1
18:29 jonathan lathos: Don't think we handle subts yet.
18:31 lathos sub Foo { ... }; works
18:31 lathos Um. By which I mean it doesn't cause a syntax error.
18:38 coke particle: maybe you could get an grant to work on ack plugins for TPF.
18:41 particle coke: any ideas for plugins? i could certainly do that.
18:41 coke did andy ever get the first one done?
18:42 jonathan lathos: I don't think it's a syntax error.
18:42 jonathan It's because it's failing within the class body by running ...
18:42 jonathan Rather than recognizing it as a stub.
18:42 lathos Oh, I see. That makes sense.
18:42 coke zip/[jwc].ar support would be a good first one if it's not already done.
18:43 dalek r35493 | bernhard++ | trunk/languages/pipp/docs:
18:43 dalek : [codingstd] shorten long line
18:43 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35493
18:44 coke chromatic, Whiteknight: I'm willing to help out with the GC stuff (perhaps with scut work, since IANACP)
18:45 Whiteknight any help always appreciated
18:47 pmichaud I wonder if we should put a return handler on class bodies.
18:48 pmichaud Then < ... >  would almost dtrt.
18:48 jonathan Hmm, yes.
18:48 jonathan That could work.
18:49 pmichaud but we'll probably need to do something special anyway, as we really don't want   class Foo { ... }   to declare an empty class.
18:49 pmichaud (or worse, overwrite an existing declaration)
18:49 jonathan Aye.
18:50 chromatic Do we support ... now?  I kinda wanted to add that.
18:50 particle class Foo {...}; class Foo is also { method bar {1} }; # should work
18:50 purl okay, particle.
18:50 particle as well as 'is instead'
18:50 dalek r35494 | bernhard++ | trunk/languages/ecmascript (2 files):
18:50 dalek : [codingstd] satisfy trailing_space.t
18:50 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35494
18:50 particle should be made to work, that is.
18:52 coke class Foo {...}; class Foo?
18:52 coke (bad purl, no donut.)
18:53 pmichaud perl6:  sub foo { ... };  foo();
18:53 polyglotbot RESULT[undef]
18:53 pmichaud looks like it's "supported" but "incorrect".
18:54 pmichaud perl6:  sub foo { ... };  say foo();
18:54 polyglotbot OUTPUT[Attempt to execute stub code (...)␤␤]
18:54 pmichaud looks like it's support and "correct"  :-)
18:54 pmichaud *supported
18:54 jonathan pmichaud: I thought it was meant to return a failure object?
18:54 jonathan That explodes if you try to use it...
18:54 pmichaud it did return a failure object
18:54 jonathan Right. And exploded when you tried to use it. :-)
18:54 pmichaud perl6:  sub foo { ... };  say foo().PARROT;
18:54 polyglotbot OUTPUT[Failure␤]
18:55 pmichaud right
18:55 pmichaud so it looks correct-ish to me.
18:55 jonathan So it's correct or "correct"? ;-)
18:55 chromatic That looks correct.
18:55 pmichaud (1) I'm not sure that's the correct failure message, (2) it doesn't explain what lathos' example was doing earlier.
18:56 pmichaud in the case of subs -- yes, it appears to be working.
18:56 jonathan pmichaud: It does a "fail" which throws a return exception, I think.
18:56 pmichaud also, I wonder about:
18:56 jonathan But the class doesn't have a handler, as you pointed out.
18:56 chromatic The failure message is wrong.
18:56 pmichaud perl6:  sub foo {   if 1 { ... };  say 'ok'; };   say foo();
18:56 polyglotbot OUTPUT[Attempt to execute stub code (...)␤␤]
18:57 pmichaud should the stub code exit the sub?  Or just the block?
18:58 jonathan chromatic: That's a bikeshed.
18:58 jonathan pmichaud: I think it's meant to do what fail() does.
18:59 chromatic jonathan, I thought one of the Synopses specified the error message.  If not, then it's for sure a bikeshed and I don't have a brush in this painting party.
18:59 pmichaud jonathan: so do I, but it's not entirely the same as fail().  I was just curious, at any rate.
18:59 jonathan chromatic: I haven't seen such a synopses.
18:59 jonathan chromatic: Though I would be very happy to see it exist and follow it. :-)
19:00 Whiteknight chromatic, do you have any information about context-threaded runcores that an interested coder could peruse?
19:00 dalek r35495 | simon++ | branches/strings/docs/pdds:
19:00 dalek : Removed Parrot_string_new, since it's exactly equivalent to new_from_cstring.
19:00 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35495
19:01 coke lathos: should we have kept the other one?
19:01 coke (to encourage sane naming conventions?)
19:01 coke (RT#35495)
19:02 chromatic Whiteknight, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/vie​wdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.59.1271
19:02 shorten chromatic's url is at http://xrl.us/bebjy9
19:03 chromatic I found some other papers elsewhere.
19:03 lathos coke: I think the whole string creation stuff is very badly specced for two reasons. First, it talks about "default" encoding and character set, and I believe this is impossible. Second, pretty much all of them do the same job in initializing data from a C string. So currently I'm just slashing out API functions until the API is sane again.
19:03 Whiteknight chromatic: thanks
19:04 pdcawley joined #parrot
19:04 chromatic lathos, I had the same thought as coke, but this approach sounds sane to me.
19:04 lathos Also note I'm doing all this in my own little sandbox branch.
19:04 coke oh, yah, Just kibbitizing.
19:05 allison joined #parrot
19:06 lathos new_init and new_from_cstring are the same too.
19:06 lathos Maybe that's the one to keep.
19:06 lathos (new_init I mean)
19:06 elmex joined #parrot
19:09 dalek r35496 | simon++ | branches/strings/docs/pdds:
19:09 dalek : Hey, all these functions do the same thing. Let's only have one of them.
19:09 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35496
19:10 chromatic lathos, we might need to throw some of those function names into DEPRECATED.pod, but only if they had PARROT_EXPORT.
19:11 allison chromatic: most of what lathos is doing now won't be merged until after 1.0
19:11 lathos Yeah, uh, there's going to be rather a *lot* of dust to settle once I've finished changing EVERYTHING THAT PARROT DOES THAT TOUCHES STRINGS.
19:11 lathos DEPRECATED.pod is kind of the least of my worries right now. :)
19:12 chromatic Strings is post-1.0?
19:12 allison chromatic: but once I've reviewed the changes, we'll enter them in DEPRECATED.pod
19:12 coke i hate trac.
19:12 coke Trac detected an internal error:
19:12 coke OperationalError: database is locked
19:12 purl i already had it that way, coke.
19:12 allison chromatic: some of strings is pre 1.0 (I'm working on that part), some is post 1.0
19:13 chromatic I like the idea of removing duplicate functions soonerish though.
19:13 lathos I haven't checked if these functions have been implemented yet or just specced.
19:13 dalek r35497 | Whiteknight++ | branches (50 files):
19:13 dalek : [removing_stm] updating branch to trunk from r35463
19:13 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35497
19:14 allison chromatic: yeah, I'll cherry-pick from lathos' changes and pull some of them into the first refactor
19:14 Whiteknight allison, any problems with me ripping out STM right now?
19:15 lathos Oh, that reminds me, how *do* I update a branch from a trunk?
19:15 particle lathos: svn 1.5 or earlier?
19:15 lathos 1.4.4 at the moment, but that can be fixed...
19:15 allison Whiteknight: in a branch, sure
19:16 particle lathos: the branch had to be created with 1.5 for the new method
19:16 allison lathos: it's 'svn merge'
19:16 particle see docs/project/committer_guide.pod
19:16 lathos Ah, bummer.
19:16 pmichaud pm's approach:  create a new branch from trunk,   merge old branch into new branch.
19:16 Whiteknight allison, it's already ripped out in th branch. I want to merge the branch into trunk
19:16 particle meeting &
19:16 allison svn merge -r<old rev>:HEAD https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk/
19:17 allison (run from within your branch root directory)
19:17 allison Whiteknight: passes all tests and all language tests?
19:17 allison Whiteknight: tested on mac/win/lin?
19:17 Whiteknight oh, i haven't run all the languages tests yet. nevermind
19:17 coke (languages used stm?)
19:17 chromatic Can't believe that they did.
19:17 lathos Urgh.
19:17 lathos % svn log -v --stop-on-copy https://svn.perl.org/parro​t/branches/parrot-strings
19:17 lathos svn: REPORT request failed on '/parrot/!svn/bc/35497/branches/parrot-strings'
19:17 lathos svn: '/parrot/!svn/bc/35497/branches/parrot-strings' path not found
19:17 coke i think a simple 'ack -i stm' will assuage your concerns.
19:18 Whiteknight i'm pretty convinced that nobody uses STM, but I'll test it anway
19:18 allison Coke: I'm not sure, but there's one sure way to find out
19:18 lathos Oh, I'm an idiot.
19:18 chromatic ack STM languages/
19:18 coke i already had it that way, lathos.
19:19 allison chromatic: aye, but ripping out subsystems has occasionally had unexpected side-effects, especially in the older code
19:20 coke given that many languages are still not fixed from things ripped out since 0.8.2, it might not help.
19:20 coke but certainly doesn't hurt to check if you have the time.
19:21 pmichaud it hurts a lot less to check and then merge instead of merge and wish you had checked first.
19:24 chromatic allison, RT #46819.
19:28 allison chromatic: looking...
19:29 * coke wonders why particle just sent that email.
19:30 * coke ahs, as he sees something buried in the forward.
19:33 allison chromatic RT #46819 patch looks good, go ahead and apply it and add the optional warnings for intify and numify
19:33 chromatic Does ./parrot -j t/op/trans_13.pasm pass for anyone else on 32-bit x86 Linux?
19:33 chromatic I don't *think* I broke it.
19:34 dalek r35498 | Whiteknight++ | branches/removing_stm:
19:34 dalek : [removing_stm] since I'm monkeying with it anyway, update PBC_COMPAT to remove a duplicate line TT#169
19:34 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35498
19:34 dalek r35499 | bernhard++ | trunk/languages/pipp/t/php:
19:34 dalek : [Pipp] check the namespace tests against PHP 5.3 and fix them
19:34 dalek : Variables are not namespaced, so don't test that.
19:34 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35499
19:34 coke commiters, please comment on tts 106, 107, 108, 109, 120
19:35 Whiteknight we got any mac users around here willing to test the removing_stm branch?
19:35 coke Whiteknight: sure.
19:35 barney Whiteknight++ , jimmy++
19:35 cotto chromatic, appears to work for me
19:36 particle1 joined #parrot
19:37 chromatic Hmm.  Somehow I've broken atan then.
19:37 Whiteknight atan2 has been broken
19:37 chromatic This is normal atan, not the sequel.
19:37 Whiteknight oh, is atan2 still broken for you then?
19:38 chromatic Only ./parrot t/op/trans_13.pasm fails for me.
19:38 chromatic I'm trying to remove a magic number related to cpu_ret.
19:39 coke pmichaud: the only email related ticket I see is regarding perl6-internals.
19:40 ask_ joined #parrot
19:40 pmichaud coke: I think that's the only one at present.
19:40 pmichaud I simply know that the question has arisen on channel a few times.
19:41 pmichaud and I'm not sure where to direct things.
19:42 dalek r35500 | coke++ | trunk:
19:42 dalek : Mention TT# 6
19:42 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35500
19:46 Andy joined #parrot
19:46 nopaste "tene" at 67.137.148.182 pasted "rakudo HLL patch for pmichaud++ (has a few spectest failures)" (364 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15295
19:47 dalek r35501 | bernhard++ | trunk/languages/pipp/docs:
19:47 dalek : [Pipp] Delete some obsolete SEE ALSO links
19:48 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35501
19:49 pmichaud Tene: cool!  Okay if I take a crack at it later tonight?
19:54 lathos Is this something I've done, or is it everywher? t/library/mime_base64.t    1   256   550 1100 200.00%  1-550
19:54 chromatic Did you change PBC compatibility?
19:55 lathos invoke() not implemented in class 'Integer'
19:55 lathos current instr.: 'parrot;JSON;value' pc 3968 (JSON/grammar.pir:1470)
19:55 chromatic That looks like languages/json needs rebuilding.
19:55 lathos Still no joy, I'll try a make clean, make test.
19:56 chromatic I think you can get by with make clean in languages/json and rebuild.
19:56 lathos Better safe, etc.
19:56 chromatic I'm lazy.
19:57 rurban_ joined #parrot
19:57 Tene pmichaud: whenever is fine.
20:01 dalek r35502 | chromatic++ | trunk/src/jit/i386 (2 files):
20:01 dalek : [JIT] Turned a magic number representing the cpu_ret opcode into
20:01 dalek : PARROT_OP_cpu_ret, which is somewhat more clear.
20:01 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35502
20:05 riffraff shall I report compiler warnings? if so, where?
20:06 chromatic mailing list or nopaste, please.
20:08 coke Whiteknight: passes all tests on os x/85
20:08 coke +1
20:08 purl 1
20:08 barney lathos:  t/library/mime_base64.t looks sane here
20:08 coke pmichaud: that's a perl.org mailing list, so i sent it to the admins.
20:09 coke (@ perl.org)
20:09 coke closd a few tickets that appear to have resolved spontaneously in re: website/mailing also.
20:09 riffraff ok
20:09 Whiteknight thanks coke
20:09 lathos barney: Yep, got it working.
20:10 Whiteknight so this branch is passing all tests on mac/win/lin now, and all language tests I've tried
20:10 Whiteknight I think tht's good enough, unless there are any other objections
20:10 Whiteknight allison: Good for a merge then?
20:10 allison Whiteknight: thumbs up!
20:10 purl thumbs up is at http://www.friedmanarchives.com/China/Web/Ch​apter23/4%20Thumbs%20Up%204x6%2072%20dpi.jpg
20:10 allison heh, thanks purl :)
20:12 coke shorten that
20:12 purl That URL is at http://xrl.us/becfak [parrotvm.org]
20:12 coke ... stupid purl.
20:13 Whiteknight allison, have you take a look at the pcc_invoke_convert branch yet? All the function calls I tried changing over caused weird test errors or segfaults
20:14 donaldh joined #parrot
20:17 chromatic Looks like a no.  Sorry, guy.
20:27 dalek r35503 | simon++ | branches/strings (268 files):
20:27 dalek : Merging in from trunk.
20:27 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35503
20:27 dalek r35504 | Whiteknight++ |  (53 files):
20:27 dalek : [removing_stm] merging the removing_stm branch into trunk from r35498. This removes the STM subsystem from Parrot.
20:27 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35504
20:33 jhorwitz hm, mod_parrot errors out with " '' is not a valid vtable function name. " when loading perl6.pbc.  trying to reproduce outside of mod_parrot without much luck.  from gdb it looks like it's unpacking constant PMCs.  any ideas?
20:34 GeJ Good morning everyone.
20:35 GeJ thanks for the trust.
20:35 jhorwitz good afternoon
20:35 chromatic That sounds like someone's returning a CONST_STRING which someone modifies.
20:35 Whiteknight GeJ, you get your CLA mailed yet?
20:36 coke seen obra/
20:36 purl I haven't seen 'obra/', coke
20:36 coke seen obra?
20:36 purl obra was last seen on #p5p 1 days, 15 minutes and 16 seconds ago, saying: nothingmuch: that's from git-as-of-a-few-months-ago and deals with repo bogosity. but it taught me what I needed to know about migrating branches to local from the svn "remote"  [Jan 12 20:21:11 2009]
20:37 GeJ Whiteknight: downloaded and filled. I was wondering if emailing it would be faster. If not, I'll snail-mail it this morning.
20:37 coke email should be ok.
20:37 coke parrot cla?
20:37 coke cla?
20:37 purl somebody said cla was Contributor License Agreement or http://www.perlfoundation.org/​contributor_license_agreement or http://www.parrot.org/foundation/legal
20:37 jhorwitz chromatic: at the very top of the trace, it looks like it's trying to store a nameless sub in a namespace (and failing miserably)
20:38 jhorwitz i can paste if you'd like to see it
20:38 chromatic I'll take a look, but my brainpower is low at the moment... something to do with blood sugar.
20:39 coke duh-duh-duh-duh-diabeetus
20:39 * jhorwitz sends sugar packets
20:40 chromatic More like the lack of lunch.
20:40 Whiteknight diebeetus sounds scary. We should call it live-beetus
20:41 * Tene paints a pentagram on the floor with a mixture of equal parts sugar and blood.
20:42 nopaste "jhorwitz" at 96.245.16.64 pasted "chromatic: tasty backtrace" (80 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15296
20:45 chromatic What are the contents of key and value in stack frame 2?
20:46 jhorwitz key is a NULL string (strstart=0x0).  value is a Sub.
20:51 dalek r35505 | Whiteknight++ | branches:
20:51 dalek : deleting the removing_stm branch because it's already been merged into trunk and is no longer needed
20:51 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35505
20:51 allison joined #parrot
20:52 chromatic Hm, so the Sub's ns_entry_name is a NULL string.
20:52 chromatic Something froze a Sub with no ns_entry_name.
20:53 chromatic That's okay, but it can't be a vtable override, because we don't know which vtable entry it overrides.
20:53 Whiteknight does that happen for an :anon sub?
20:53 jhorwitz and why does it happen under mod_parrot but not from the command line....
20:54 jhorwitz all interesting questions.  :)
20:54 Whiteknight and why do bad things happen to good people?
20:54 chromatic An :anon sub should probably store its vtable override.
20:55 chromatic ... and that does get frozen.
20:57 chromatic I don't see anything immediately applicable.  What if you rebuild the PBC?
20:57 jhorwitz done that many times.
20:57 Cantacuzenus joined #parrot
20:59 chromatic That was my next best guess; invalid PBC.
20:59 jhorwitz nah, the perl6.pbc is good.
20:59 jhorwitz passes tests, etc.
20:59 jhorwitz runs fine on the command line
21:00 chromatic Is that the PBC you're trying to load from mod_parrot?
21:01 jhorwitz mod_parrot loads a bootstrap PBC for mod_perl6.  that contains a :load sub that does a load_bytecode "languages/perl6/perl6.pbc"
21:01 jhorwitz so yes, in the end, that's the same file
21:01 chromatic I'm stumped for now.
21:05 jhorwitz ok.  i'll keep plugging away.
21:05 elmex joined #parrot
21:06 chromatic I'll skim the code for misbehaving const_strings.
21:08 chromatic Hm, nothing in Rakudo that looks wrong.
21:15 pmichaud is it a vtable sub in Rakudo itself?
21:16 pdcawley joined #parrot
21:17 jhorwitz it happens while loading perl6.pbc, so i'm inclined to say yes.  but since it has no name it's tough to tell exactly what it is.
21:17 pmichaud many of rakudo's :vtable subs have names of ''
21:17 jonathan pmichaud: You were right as usual. I too hate enum_declarator now. :-)
21:17 pmichaud jonathan: :-)
21:18 jhorwitz pmichaud: yes, i saw that.  but it works on the command line, so something is screwy.
21:18 pmichaud jhorwitz: I wonder if you're running into the same bug that Tene++ is seeing
21:18 jhorwitz ah?
21:18 purl rumour has it ah is much more useful
21:18 pmichaud no, I guess that would be different.
21:18 jhorwitz purl forget ah
21:18 purl jhorwitz: I forgot ah
21:18 pmichaud but Tene runs into issues with running load_bytecode 'perl6.pbc'  because of the .load_library directive.
21:19 jhorwitz is there a ticket for that?
21:19 jhorwitz on the off chance that it's related
21:19 pmichaud yes -- looking.
21:20 pmichaud (trac.parrot.org is becoming as slow as rt :-( )
21:20 pmichaud TT #150
21:20 jhorwitz danke
21:22 pmichaud filename=0x95c1f98 "/home/jeff/build/mod_parrot/tru​nk/lib/ModParrot/HLL/perl6.pbc") at src/packfile.c:4372
21:22 pmichaud is that the correct path for the .pbc ?
21:22 jhorwitz that's the mod_perl6 bootstrap file
21:22 pmichaud okay.
21:22 jhorwitz it has a :load sub that loads rakudo's perl6.pbc
21:25 pmichaud what's the value of *name in Parrot_Class_add_vtable_override
21:25 pmichaud ?
21:25 lathos *boggle*
21:25 lathos svn: Commit failed (details follow):
21:25 lathos svn: MERGE of '/parrot/branches/strings': 200 OK (http://svn.perl.org)
21:25 jonathan lathos: It happens now and then. :-S
21:26 jonathan Generally if you svn up it sorts itself out.
21:26 coke internets are slow today.
21:26 pmichaud lathos: we've never been able to track down why that happens (on svn.perl.org)
21:26 pmichaud or I should say that Robert/Ask haven't been able to do it.
21:26 pmichaud the rest of us are just clueless :-)
21:26 lathos Now I have no idea what state my working copy is in. :)
21:27 lathos Ah, looks like it's OK.
21:27 jonathan lathos: svn up can help.
21:27 coke svn migration coming up soon.
21:27 jonathan lathos: That normally got it OK for me.
21:27 lathos Yep, svn up cleared things.
21:27 jonathan ...apart from one time when I did it with svn 1.5 and it trashed my working copy...
21:27 chromatic shhhhhh!
21:27 jonathan :-)
21:27 chromatic Don't spoil the surprise.
21:28 jonathan lol
21:28 * jonathan does make spectest, hoping to be down to relatively few failures
21:29 purl joined #parrot
21:29 jhorwitz pmichaud: sorry, got distracted....
21:29 pmichaud jhorwitz: no problem.
21:29 pmichaud I think chromatic's question supercedes mine anyway.
21:30 jhorwitz name is a STRING with a NULL strstart
21:30 pmichaud yeah, that's bogus.
21:32 chromatic What's its length?
21:32 jhorwitz 0
21:32 jhorwitz strlen = 0
21:32 pmichaud why is it using ns_entry_name in the first place?
21:33 chromatic In theory, it's a vtable override.
21:33 chromatic A NULL strstart seems okay with strlen and buflen of 0.
21:33 jhorwitz ah, but the error is an assertion failure
21:33 pmichaud sure, but what about      .sub :anon :vtable('get_integer')
21:33 pmichaud ?
21:33 pmichaud do we store that with ns_entry of 'get_integer'?
21:33 jhorwitz oh wait, no it isn't -- never mind my last comment.
21:34 chromatic Should, yes.
21:34 dalek r35506 | jonathan++ | trunk/languages/perl6/src/pmc:
21:34 dalek : [rakudo] Get the signature in Perl6MultiSub straight from the property, rathre than via a method. Bit faster, and solves an ordering issue in the forthcoming role changes.
21:34 pmichaud but it shouldn't be entered in the namespace (because of the :anon)
21:34 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35506
21:34 jonathan Gah, svn hung for me too!
21:35 pmichaud jonathan: once it starts hanging for one person, it often starts hanging for many.
21:36 pmichaud I thought that ns_entry was only for subs that were to be stored in the namespace itself.
21:36 jonathan The best bit is it doesn't respond to ^C...
21:39 chromatic set_pmc_keyed_str on the NameSpace relies on ns_entry for the vtable entry.
21:39 chromatic Which seems a little wrong.
21:39 pmichaud Agreed.
21:39 chromatic See src/pmc/namespace.pmc:75
21:41 coke jonathan: ^\ ? ^/ ?
21:46 jonathan coke: ?
21:46 dalek r35507 | jonathan++ | trunk/languages/perl6 (12 files):
21:46 dalek : [rakudo] Initial refactor of roles to work towards parametric role support. Now we have a Perl6Role object installed in the namespace. It knows how to produce a Parrot-level role when given parameters, by doing a multi-dispatch on them. There's a bunch of nasty things to make enums keep working (that code is over-ripe for a big refactor soon), plus many comments of things that remain to be done. Happily, discounting enum stuff which will shrink a lot soon,
21:46 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35507
21:47 Tene joined #parrot
21:47 jonathan OK. That was a painful patch to produce. :-)
21:48 jonathan Tomorrow is the fun stuff: actually building on it so we can do parametric roles rather than just declaring them. :-)
21:49 moritz how about writing some tests first? ;-)
21:49 jonathan moritz: Believe it or not, that patch doesn't actually really add any new functionality. :-)
21:49 moritz we have one file with tests for parameteric roles, but that test seems complicated, and needs review really badly
21:49 jonathan moritz: But I'll certainly be writing a bunch of tests tomorrow when I get to adding functionality on top of this.
21:50 jonathan Where is it?
21:50 purl it's it!
21:50 moritz jonathan: I meant before tomorrows patch
21:50 jonathan In t/spec?
21:50 moritz t/spec/S12-role/parameterized.t
21:50 chromatic That should get us a few passing tests....
21:50 moritz jonathan: I happened to have moved it over christmas ;-)
21:52 jonathan moritz: Yes, it wants review.
21:52 jonathan moritz: And some simpler cases too. ;-)
21:52 moritz jonathan: that's what I thought, yes
21:52 jonathan moritz: But thanks for litting me know it's there.
21:53 jonathan *letting
21:53 moritz jonathan: but since I don't understand them (yet), I couldn't do very much with reasonable effort
21:53 donaldh pmichaud: I've constructed an 'interesting' test case for the NCI problems I'm having.
21:53 jonathan moritz: That's OK, I'm still wroking on the understanding part too. ;-)
21:53 nopaste "donaldh" at 213.123.171.12 pasted "test case for pmichaud++" (20 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15298
21:56 particle joined #parrot
21:59 jhorwitz chromatic/pmichaud: found the offending code in mod_parrot, but not sure why it causes a problem
21:59 donaldh say sqlite3_libversion().PARROT; # String
21:59 donaldh say SQLite3::libversion().PARROT; # List
21:59 jhorwitz the class in question is P6protoobject
22:00 jhorwitz mod_parrot loads P6object.pbc so it can register some classes.  when i comment that block out, the error goes away (but breaks other things obviously)
22:01 chromatic Now we need to trace that down to what part of P6object calls which parts of Parrot in C....
22:04 * jhorwitz tries again to write a test case
22:04 jhorwitz yay
22:05 Whiteknight joined #parrot
22:05 jhorwitz 4 line test case!
22:06 moritz do they fit on 80 columns each? ;-)
22:06 jhorwitz indeed!
22:07 nopaste "jhorwitz" at 96.245.16.64 pasted "vtable override test case" (4 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15300
22:07 jhorwitz i'll open a ticket too
22:07 kj joined #parrot
22:08 jhorwitz hm, parrot ticket or rakudo ticket?
22:08 donaldh jhorwitz: is perl6_group needing loaded?
22:09 Theory joined #parrot
22:09 jhorwitz donaldh: for P6object?  never had a problem with it before, but i could try forcing it.
22:10 donaldh I think this was mentioned a couple of days ago. load_bytecode per6.pbc failing to load perl6_group
22:10 jhorwitz nope, not the issue
22:10 jhorwitz perl6.pbc itself works fine
22:10 coke we have leo sign!
22:10 jhorwitz but i just tried throwing a loadlib in there for good measure, and it still broke
22:10 dalek r35508 | kjs++ | trunk/compilers/pirc/src (4 files):
22:10 dalek : [pirc] fix implementation of find_outer_sub. This is kind of a hacky solution, but that's fine for now, Let's Just Make This Work. (and it does!)
22:10 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35508
22:11 chromatic I'll work to track that down.
22:12 jhorwitz chromatic: i guess it makes sense to open a parrot ticket for this rather than rakudo
22:12 chromatic jhorwitz, you might add debugging printfs to Sub's thaw to see if something goes wrong somewhere.
22:14 jhorwitz will try
22:14 chromatic I need to catch an airplane in a bit.
22:14 chromatic The first thing I'd check is that we're not somehow reusing a STRING (especially a CONST_STRING).
22:14 Whiteknight I don't think i've ever seen a live communication from Leo
22:15 chromatic That tends to make it wonky.
22:16 jhorwitz afk &
22:24 dalek r35509 | kjs++ | trunk/compilers/pirc/src:
22:24 dalek : [pirc] complete create_lexinfo() function.
22:24 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35509
22:31 dalek r35510 | jkeenan++ | trunk/config/gen/makefiles:
22:31 dalek : Correction in 'help' message re 'make rpms'.  Cf.:  https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/171.  Patch contributed by Gerd Pokorra.
22:31 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35510
22:36 dalek r35511 | simon++ | branches/strings (4 files):
22:36 dalek : This is where I'm up to in speccing out the Parrot strings API in Perl 6.
22:36 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35511
22:45 dalek r35512 | kjs++ | trunk/compilers/pirc/src:
22:45 dalek : [pirc] fix a bit in create_lexinfo. Unfortunately, doesn't work still. How are .lex statements handled?
22:45 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35512
22:50 HG` joined #parrot
22:50 jonathan lathos: Are you running the strings code under Rakudo?
22:50 jonathan Or aiming to etc?
22:50 lathos I am, yes.
22:50 jonathan Cool! :-)
22:50 jonathan I hope. ;-)
22:51 lathos Yes, it works.
22:51 jonathan Nice.
22:59 dalek r35513 | kjs++ | trunk/compilers/pirc/t:
22:59 dalek : [pirc] some tests.
22:59 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35513
23:04 TiMBuS joined #parrot
23:20 dalek r35514 | kjs++ | trunk/compilers/pirc/t:
23:20 dalek : [pirc] add some tests for indexing arrays and hashes.
23:20 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=35514
23:37 kj jonathan: ping
23:42 jonathan kj: pong
23:43 kj hi, do you happen to know anything about how .lexicals are stored?
23:44 kj eh, in bytecode
23:44 jonathan Something. :-)
23:44 jonathan So .lex 'foo', <register>
23:44 kj yes, I invoke a method declare_lex_preg on lexinfo PMC, with "foo", and <register>
23:45 jonathan There's two bits. A LexPad and a LexInfo.
23:45 jonathan LexPad exists at compile time, LexPad at runtime.
23:46 jonathan So a LexPad PMC needs to be created and frozen.
23:46 jonathan And referred to from the Sub PMC.
23:46 jonathan IIRc.
23:46 kj LexInfo exists at compile time? or a Lexpad?
23:46 jonathan Erm, one or the other. ;-)
23:46 * jonathan checks the PDD
23:46 kj ok, I tihnk its' the lexinfo
23:46 jonathan ah
23:46 jonathan LexInfo PMC is compile time
23:47 jonathan Note also :lex, which declares that a sub will need a LexPad but doesn't know about it's lexicals at compile time.
23:48 kj yes, I found that
23:48 jonathan But you still should, according to the PDD anyway, create a LexInfo
23:49 kj yes, that's all taken care of. I just wonder whether invoking declare_lex_preg method on the LexInfo sub for each lexical is enough
23:49 jonathan Is it not working?
23:50 jonathan I think the name => register mapping is the main thing, though.
23:50 kj ok, well that's happening, so it must be something else then
23:53 kj thanks anyway :-)
23:56 Limbic_Region joined #parrot

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Parrot | source cross referenced