Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #parrot, 2009-01-29

Parrot | source cross referenced

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 lathos Nope.
00:00 lathos See, for instance, Parrot_str_index
00:00 allison or, requesting a single character from a particular point may return only the first character of a multi-char grapheme?
00:00 lathos No.
00:00 lathos Returns the character at the specified index (the Nth character from the start of the string). Combining characters are counted separately. Variable-width encodings will lookahead to capture full character values.
00:01 lathos Sorry, yes, if you ask for the character at index 0, you get the head character. If you ask for the character at index 1, you get the combining character.
00:01 allison this breaks the guarantee of NFG always behaving as fixed-width
00:02 lathos It does behave as fixed-width. It's just that what you're measuring isn't characters.
00:02 lathos The whole point of NFG was to put each grapheme into its own cell.
00:02 allison an NFG string with one character and two combining characters, should report its length as 3, not 5
00:02 allison that is something like a-o-accent-i-accent
00:02 lathos No, that's not true either.
00:02 lathos Parrot_string_length
00:03 lathos Returns the number of characters in the string. Combining characters are each counted separately.
00:03 allison then Parrot_string_grapheme_length returns the number of graphemes?
00:03 lathos Yep.
00:03 Tene_ are there different reasons for asking for character-count and grapheme-count?
00:03 Tene_ Ah.
00:03 allison lathos: okay, I'm good with that one
00:03 lathos And there's byte_length as well for good measure.
00:04 NotFound joined #parrot
00:04 lathos What I *really* don't want to happen is you have a string which thinks it has 5 characters, then it gets internally converted to NFG (transparently to the consumer) and suddenly Parrot says it's only 3 characters wide.
00:05 allison lathos: then, what should happen when an NFG string is appended to another string type, is the NFG string is converted to the format of the destination type, character-by-character
00:05 allison (I should say, appended "character-by-character")
00:05 lathos Well, no, because if the grapheme can be composed into a single character in the destination's charset, then appending character-by-character will do the wrong thing. When you're appending two strings, you always need to do it grapheme-wise.
00:06 allison lathos: the composition happens as part of the conversion
00:06 lathos But you can't *do* that if you're handling characters individually. You have to look at the whole grapheme to get the context.
00:06 allison it's on converting NFG to the destination format that you decide if characters can be composed or not
00:08 allison so: step 1 convert NFG string to destination format, step 2 append resulting string to destination string using the ordinary non-NFG algorithm
00:08 lathos So look at each grapheme of an NFG string, break it up into constituent characters, convert each one to the destination string format, then run over that string again recombining them back into a more natural representation.
00:08 NotFound joined #parrot
00:08 lathos OR we could just do the conversion grapheme-by-grapheme instead, which would be a damned sight easier and more efficient.
00:08 AndyA joined #parrot
00:09 lathos (Which again are reasons why we invented the whole NFG system.)
00:09 allison lathos: you've got the "breaking into constituent characters" in the wrong place
00:09 allison NFG strings have to be able to participate in standard string transactions without requiring everything to convert to NFG
00:10 lathos Sure, they currently do.
00:10 allison when they're used in that context, they "dumb down" their semantics a bit
00:10 allison but, someone who's using NFG strings heavily can use the grapheme-specific versions of the functions instead
00:11 allison those versions happily convert everything to graphemes
00:11 allison to NFG, specifically
00:11 lathos Using graphemes is not the same as requiring everything to convert to NFG".
00:12 allison it's pretty costly to go parsing ordinary strings down to a grapheme representation and converting it back to the original representation every time you perform an operation on it
00:13 allison hard to see the advantage there
00:13 lathos It isn't.
00:13 allison elaborate?
00:15 lathos For strings that don't understand the concept of grapheme, grapheme==character. You ask for all the graphemes in a string, you get each character wrapped in a grapheme type.
00:15 nopaste "kid51" at 70.107.5.34 pasted "Proposed updates to t/README" (82 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15450
00:16 kid51 That match is intended to bring the t/ subdirs described in the README into alignment with the currently existing subdirs.  Anyone want to comment?
00:16 allison lathos: aye, but that's not really "treating all strings as collections of graphemes"
00:17 allison lathos: nor is it using grapheme-semantics everywhere
00:17 lathos For other Unicode representations, when you ask for a grapheme, it gives you a character but peeks ahead to see if there are any combining characters afterwards.
00:17 allison lathos: yes
00:18 chromatic kid51, it could use a little more editing "Try to test all builtin PMCs?" but it looks decent.
00:18 basic particle: Jerry -- right?  This is Rudy from the OSL
00:18 lathos What I'm saying is that treating graphemes rather than characters as the basic thing-to-be-throwing-around is not that hard, not that expensive, and, well, what graphemes were invented for in the first place.
00:18 NotFound lathos: you assume that there are no other character sets other than unicode that does not have the concept of combining characters.
00:18 lathos Doesn't matter.
00:19 lathos I've proved the concept with Unicode, it applies equally to others too.
00:20 lathos In fact, I think you're helping my argument. Shift-based character sets like SJIS need to be handled grapheme-wise rather than character-wise; a shift on its own doesn't mean much.
00:20 allison I'm waiting to see how well the implementation of the grapheme versions of the functions go. Someday we may replace existing character-based functions with grapheme-based ones. For now, we keep both.
00:20 lathos (Encodings, sorry, not character sets. YOu started it. ;)
00:21 Infinoid seen particle
00:21 purl particle was last seen on #parrot 2 hours, 35 minutes and 2 seconds ago, saying: and it may be worth spelling out PCT
00:21 DietCoke joined #parrot
00:21 DietCoke ron: you should find 'ack'
00:21 kid51 chromatic:  Let me commit what I have.  I mainly wanted to eliminate subdirs that have gone away and include those that were left out.
00:21 chromatic Fair enough.
00:21 NotFound I suspect that many people will be upset if you normalize representations when they not ask for it.
00:21 lathos allison: Given that NFG requires us to implement the character-based ones in terms of grapheme-based ones, I'm not sure that's a good idea but I'll code it anyway. ;)
00:21 * Coke apparently lost internet for a bit there.
00:22 Infinoid basic: You got the right guy, but he might not be around...
00:22 basic i'm working on getting the email2trac setup, but had to run to class
00:22 Infinoid Yay, email2trac++
00:22 allison lathos: NFG only requires that we ensure NFG strings respond appropriately when requested for characters
00:22 lathos (Since NFG stores graphemes, "gimme character 3" translates to "give me grapheme 1, check how many characters are inside it, if there's 3 or more give me the third, otherwise move on."
00:23 dalek r36122 | jkeenan++ | trunk/t:
00:23 dalek : Add entries for t/ subdirs not previously mentioned.  Delete entries for t/ subdirs which have been superseded.
00:23 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36122
00:23 NotFound lathos: shitt encodings are not combining characters, they combine bytes, like utf8 does.
00:24 allison lathos: that still doesn't satisfy the requirement for NFG. It's got to be usable from languages that completely don't understand multi-byte encodings or have any way to deal with them.
00:24 TimToady I wish you guys wouldn't use the word "characters" to mean "codepoints"...
00:24 rg basic: can we get https://trac.parrot.org/pa​rrot/wiki/TracNotification ?
00:24 chromatic I wish no one used "characters" when they meant "bytes".
00:25 lathos I wish no one used characters.
00:25 NotFound chromatic: strongfully agreed
00:25 allison TimToady/chromatic: it does lead to a degree of confusion
00:25 NotFound At least say 'char', not 'character'
00:25 TimToady eep
00:25 allison lathos: sure, but we're hosting a lot of legacy languages
00:26 allison lathos: I mean, it's very likely that Perl 6 will exclusively use the grapheme-based functions
00:27 TimToady in the absence of a pragma, yes
00:27 nopaste "NotFound" at 213.96.228.50 pasted "A dirty trick yo allow use self from an 'invoke' override" (34 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15451
00:27 basic rg: that should already be setup
00:27 TimToady to the user, grapheme == character
00:27 basic there's a parrot-tickets list
00:28 rg basic: then either it's not allowed for simple users or i'm too stupid to figure out how to subscribe :(
00:28 TimToady but p6 also allows 'use codepoints' or 'use bytes', with requisite OO complications on strings
00:28 rg yes, i've been pointed to that one, but i was thinking per ticket.
00:29 NotFound The problem of that trick is that in order to work as expected, the overrided invoked must not get the usual 'self' passed
00:29 allison rg: http://lists.parrot.org/mail​man/listinfo/parrot-tickets to subscribe
00:30 tetragon joined #parrot
00:30 rg allison: thanks, but what i mean is to add myself to the cc field on certain tickets.
00:31 dalek r36123 | allison++ | branches:
00:31 dalek : Creating branch for the second-round strings refactor.
00:31 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36123
00:31 lathos allison: Oh yeah - there wasn't any Parrot_str_ level comparison functions. (Or even equality functions.) Should there be?
00:32 lathos I added some just to make testing easier, but it occurs to me that something like that probably ought to be in the spec.
00:32 allison lathos: there's a 'string_equal'
00:32 Coke cotto++ # updating the doc based on the mailing list. Awesome.
00:32 allison lathos: what would 'level' be for?
00:32 lathos Not in my copy of the PDD there isn't...
00:33 lathos Sorry, I mean the "Parrot_str_ level" as opposed to the "PDD level".
00:33 allison or, do you mean "C-level" comparison functions?
00:33 lathos s/PDD/PMC/
00:33 lathos Yes.
00:33 allison lathos: also, 'string_compare'
00:33 lathos I'm not seeing these functions in PDD28.
00:34 allison lathos: must not have copied them into the PDD, but they do exist and will continue to exist
00:34 lathos There's a PMC-level is_equal in there, but that's all I can find.
00:34 lathos Ah, right-oh.
00:35 allison lathos: I'll add to the PDD, both regular and grapheme versions.
00:35 lathos Thanks.
00:35 lathos Possibly also worth having a bytewise comparison there too. It's a fast way of asking if the strings are the same.
00:35 Infinoid allison: does parrot-tickets come through to parrot-dev automatically?  I seem to have gotten several "[parrot] #NN:" type emails already
00:36 allison Infinoid: it only comes through if someone explicitly adds the parrot-dev mailing list as a CC on the ticket (which is generally discouraged)
00:36 Infinoid ah, ok.  I've just subscribed to it, thanks
00:37 dalek r36124 | coke++ | trunk:
00:37 dalek : Track function replacement.
00:37 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36124
00:39 Coke string folks, double check r36124
00:39 lathos allison: Oh, and bufused versus strlen could do with some clarification. The "amount of the buffer currently in use" really ought to be the same as the "length of the string in bytes". The amount of the buffer *allocated* may well be different, but that's not what "bufused" implies.
00:40 lathos Maybe bufused should become bufsize or something.
00:42 Whiteknight joined #parrot
00:43 NotFound BTW, will be nice if string internals were not exposed to string unrelated parts of parrot. Just forward declare it.
00:44 lathos You won't see the internals; we'll just keep handing you graphemes. Um, I mean characters. Or perhaps codepoints.
00:45 NotFound In the current codebase internals are exposed, and abused a lot.
00:45 lathos But I need to see the internals because I'm trying to implement it.
00:45 lathos The current strings codebase needs to be set on fire.
00:46 lathos This is why I'm starting again in P6, rather than starting with what we have now.
00:48 NotFound lathos: I think your work does not qualify as 'unrelated part'
00:50 silug joined #parrot
00:50 dalek r36125 | allison++ | trunk/docs/pdds:
00:50 dalek : [pdd] Add descriptions for 'compare' and 'equal' functions. Catch an
00:50 dalek : unconverted old function name.
00:50 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36125
00:51 allison lathos: 'bufused' means "how much of the buffer that we currently have allocated is being used?"
00:52 dalek r36126 | coke++ | trunk:
00:52 dalek : Track the string -> str rename currently in progress.
00:52 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36126
00:53 s1n joined #parrot
00:53 lathos Oh, urgh, buflen lives somewhere else, in a structure currently called "cache".
00:54 lathos When would bufused != strlen?
00:54 Coke chromatic: is See RT #60626.
00:54 Coke er.
00:54 Coke is that RT closable?
00:55 lathos I guess bufused would be different from strlen when strstart hacks have been used. But since these are defined to be going away, presumably we can get rid of bufused too.
00:56 chromatic Coke, not quite.  mmd_cvt_to_types needs renaming.
00:57 allison lathos are you looking at the String PMC or Parrot STRING*?
00:57 lathos STRING*
00:57 lathos It has a cache, which will turn into "buffer" and "buflen", and it has "bufused" and "strlen".
00:58 allison cache is a substructure for compatibility with PMC headers, will be moved out into a single flat structure once we completely deprecated cache from PMC
00:59 lathos Yep, got that. But I don't get bufused versus strlen.
00:59 cotto allison, that's good to know.  What'll be the intended purpose of the new flat struct?
01:01 lathos The string is stored in the buffer. The number of bytes used in the buffer really should be the same as the number of bytes in the string. So I don't think we need both members.
01:01 allison lathos: some operations can change strstart rather than moving the whole string over, so bufused may be longer than strlength
01:01 lathos But strstart is going away.
01:02 lathos So one of the two members should probably go away as well.
01:02 NotFound lathos: the buf size allow optimizations for shorten and enlarging strings
01:02 lathos NotFound: I know, but it complicates the entire string subsystem for a tiny optimization on substring operations, and offset math is messy with encodings that aren't byte-based.
01:02 lathos (apparently)
01:03 allison lathos: fair enough, when that deprecation is complete, bufused could go and keep only strlength
01:03 NotFound lathos: I agree, but the poing must be consensuated.
01:03 NotFound point
01:03 lathos allison: Excellent.
01:04 allison lathos: (assuming it doesn't break anything horribly)
01:05 NotFound Well, allison voice is aproximately a consensus ;)
01:06 lathos allison: It sounds like you're thinking more of a gradual change to the existing code. I still think the existing code needs burning, furrowing and salting, and replacing by something that actually understands encoding transparency. But now I'm going to bed.
01:06 allison lathos: yes, I generally think that when I'm revamping a system too
01:07 * chromatic generally thinks that about everything, all the time.
01:07 allison lathos: but whatever the eventual fate of the existing code, successive changes over time will be far less painful that a wholesale replacement in one fell swoop
01:07 TimToady depends on how you amortize it
01:07 NotFound I tryied some months ago an attempt of gradually reinplement strings and failed miserably
01:08 lathos NotFound: You end up needing to rip everything out anyway, because people have broken abstraction all over the shop.
01:08 NotFound There are too much abuse of string internals, you change something and broke a lot of things.
01:08 allison the existing string system has the advantage that it works, that counts for a lot
01:08 lathos So does hello world.
01:08 allison replacements have to be well tested before they become candidates for primacy
01:09 NotFound allison: yes, and every gradual change I tryed make it not work.
01:09 allison but, the lovely thing about Parrot is we have plenty of room to accommodate multiple simultaneous implementations of a subsystem
01:09 allison and swap the "default" when ready
01:10 NotFound allison: when it starts to be a subsystem, yes. Currently is not.
01:10 lathos Yep. This is why I'm off playing in a branch. And calling for more tests.
01:10 allison lathos: aye
01:11 NotFound Even the library searching functions abuse of string internals.
01:11 allison NotFound: yes, definitely have to improve the encapsulation of string subsystem
01:11 dalek r36127 | coke++ | trunk (7 files):
01:11 dalek : Remove the obsolete (DEPRECATED) Data::Sort from the stdlb (TT #106)
01:11 dalek :
01:11 purl : is the path separator
01:11 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36127
01:11 NotFound allison: the way to do that is to kill it ;)
01:11 allison NotFound: the awful thing is, many of those direct accesses to the string internals have corresponding function names
01:12 allison could (and should) be calling functions instead
01:12 chromatic Step one: add functions
01:12 NotFound allison: and others are premature optimizations
01:12 chromatic Step two: rename or move macros
01:12 chromatic Step three: fix all compilation failures
01:13 NotFound And other are plain and simple uses of parrot string as if they were c string buffers
01:13 allison NotFound: which is actually the source of a few bugs we've fixed over time
01:14 NotFound allison: yeah, we fixed a lot, but there is a lot that I think will give more work to find and fix than to reimplement the full thing.
01:16 ron joined #parrot
01:17 NotFound At least we've able to deprecate the string_repeat thing :)
01:19 ron_ joined #parrot
01:44 dalek r36128 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (3 files):
01:44 dalek : [pdd28str] Name change for 'Parrot_str_write_COW'.
01:44 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36128
01:56 skv joined #parrot
01:56 baest joined #parrot
01:56 Debolaz_ joined #parrot
02:01 bkuhn joined #parrot
02:01 Maddingue joined #parrot
02:13 petdance joined #parrot
02:34 pmichaud joined #parrot
02:35 pmichaud joined #parrot
02:43 Zaba_ joined #parrot
03:02 dalek r36129 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (11 files):
03:02 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_new_COW'.
03:02 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36129
03:49 dalek r36130 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (5 files):
03:49 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_reuse_COW'.
03:49 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36130
04:14 dalek r36131 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (4 files):
04:14 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_set'.
04:14 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36131
04:19 TiMBuS joined #parrot
04:44 ChrisDavaz joined #parrot
04:54 dalek r36132 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (3 files):
04:54 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_init'.
04:54 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36132
05:00 dmajnem2 joined #parrot
05:07 dalek r36133 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (3 files):
05:07 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_finish'.
05:07 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36133
05:16 rg1 joined #parrot
05:23 dalek r36134 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (13 files):
05:23 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_new_noinit'.
05:23 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36134
05:25 tetragon joined #parrot
05:29 Maddingu1 joined #parrot
05:45 dalek r36135 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (13 files):
05:45 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_concat'.
05:45 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36135
05:45 mberends joined #parrot
06:17 dalek r36136 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (29 files):
06:17 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_append'.
06:17 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36136
06:48 clunker3 joined #parrot
06:56 HG` joined #parrot
07:15 uniejo joined #parrot
07:25 dalek r36137 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (46 files):
07:25 dalek : [pdd28str] Renaming 'Parrot_str_new_from_cstring'.
07:25 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36137
07:31 dalek r36138 | cotto++ | trunk/lib/Parrot/Pmc2c:
07:31 dalek : [pmc2c] make PCC method args more user-friendly
07:31 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36138
07:45 masak joined #parrot
07:46 iblechbot joined #parrot
08:48 alvar joined #parrot
08:53 dalek r36139 | allison++ | branches/pdd28str_part2 (45 files):
08:53 dalek : [pdd28str] Realizing that 'Parrot_str_new' and 'Parrot_str_new_from_cstring' do
08:54 dalek : exactly the same thing (take a C string argument and return a new Parrot
08:54 dalek : STRING*), collapsing them into one function.
08:54 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36139
09:07 alvar joined #parrot
09:08 lu_zero hi
09:09 Tene_ hi
09:37 moritz smolder?
09:37 purl rumour has it smolder is http://sourceforge.net/projects/smolder or web-based smoke test aggregator used by developers and testers to upload (automated or manually) and view smoke/regression tests using the Test Anything Protocol (TAP). or http://smolder.plusthree.com/app​/public_projects/smoke_reports/8
09:40 skv_ joined #parrot
09:46 ilbot2 joined #parrot
09:46 Topic for #parrotis now Parrot 0.9.0 "From Outer Space" Released | http://parrot.org/ | migration to svn.parrot.org begins at 19:00 UTC on Thurs
10:08 alvar joined #parrot
10:11 skv joined #parrot
10:17 gaz joined #parrot
10:18 riffraff joined #parrot
10:23 kj joined #parrot
10:26 gaz joined #parrot
10:45 bacek joined #parrot
10:54 dalek r36140 | fperrad++ | trunk (2 files):
10:54 dalek : [codingstd] add check of copyright for Makefile
10:54 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36140
11:00 ChrisDavaz joined #parrot
11:01 dalek r36141 | fperrad++ | trunk (39 files):
11:01 dalek : [codingstd] fix copyright for Makefiles
11:01 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36141
11:04 dalek r36142 | fperrad++ | trunk/t/codingstd:
11:04 dalek : [codingstd] add check of SVN Id for Makefile
11:04 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36142
11:06 dalek r36143 | fperrad++ | trunk/languages/bf/config/makefiles:
11:06 dalek : [codingstd] fix SVN Id for Makefiles
11:06 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36143
11:11 kj This might be interesting to attract some more developers for Parrot's JIT: http://www.sourcemod.net/devlog/?p=76
11:16 TiMBuS Writnig a JIT
11:16 TiMBuS i giggled.
11:23 cotto looks like the spellchecker wasn't JIT
11:34 szbalint PM gets a cookie
11:41 riffraff joined #parrot
11:51 cotto Heh.  Just when you thought x86 was register starved...
12:14 skv_ joined #parrot
12:29 Eevee joined #parrot
12:30 rg joined #parrot
12:46 iblechbot joined #parrot
13:24 Whiteknight joined #parrot
13:51 dalek r36144 | Whiteknight++ | trunk/src/gc:
13:51 dalek : [GC] removing old markers for the since-resolved tickets #46191 and #46181
13:51 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36144
14:14 skv joined #parrot
14:16 bkuhn joined #parrot
14:25 kj Whiteknight: I think chromatic mentioned to me that the pic branch should be reviewed first before it's committed
14:25 Whiteknight okay, so it hasn't been committed yet then? Maybe I'll take a look at it today/tonight
14:25 Whiteknight it definitely is going to need to be updated after all this time, that may take a while
14:26 Coke_away Whiteknight: there is a comment on the ticket, as I recall.
14:26 Coke we got it very close, though.
14:26 Whiteknight there were several comments, I'm just trying to see what the status of everything is
14:27 Whiteknight I'm still listed as ticket "owner", so it's lik my job to prod about these things
14:27 Coke as I recall, there's a JIT thing that I had no idea how to resolve.
14:27 Coke (I can only destroy C code, not create it. =-)
14:28 PerlJam Coke++ helping entropy do its job :)
14:29 Whiteknight in the ticket allison mentioned that she was going to resolve that JIT issue, I need to find out if she's done that yet or not
14:29 Whiteknight if she hasn't I'll do it myself
14:34 gryphon joined #parrot
14:40 Coke I don't believe she has.
14:40 Coke thanks for following up.
14:45 iblechbot joined #parrot
14:46 Whiteknight I've got one or two other tickets in the JIT system that require some of my trademarked monkeying. I'll take a stab at the whole lot tonight or over the weekend
15:05 dalek r36145 | pmichaud++ | trunk/languages/perl6/docs:
15:05 dalek : [rakudo]: spectest-progress.csv update: 298 files, 6609 passing, 0 failing
15:05 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36145
15:12 Whiteknight quite a good amount of rakudo tests passing!
15:14 alvar joined #parrot
15:37 * masak grumbles something about quite a few bugs, too
15:41 Whiteknight bugs get fixed eventually. Rakudo has enough development velocity to muscle through all the bugs
15:43 NotFound Offtopic: Soemone fluent in spanish want to take a lookt at that? http://barrapunto.com/~explorer/journal/31662 Is about the Modern::Perl thing
15:44 NotFound Looks like chromatic is a sort of Sauron for some people here in Spain X-)
15:47 Phurl left #parrot
15:48 Coke I don't speak at all fluently, but it could be positive.
15:48 Coke I think the evil things there are the things things c is trying to get us to not use, not c himself.
15:50 NotFound Coke: well, at least it will make more people take a look at Moder::Perl
16:00 clunker3__ joined #parrot
16:00 geof joined #parrot
16:10 Theory joined #parrot
16:11 dalek r36146 | fperrad++ | trunk:
16:11 dalek : ignore language checkouts 'kea-cl' & 'perk'
16:11 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36146
16:21 ask_ joined #parrot
16:21 ask- joined #parrot
16:23 davidfetter joined #parrot
16:26 Tene joined #parrot
16:29 Whiteknight joined #parrot
16:54 barney joined #parrot
17:14 barney joined #parrot
17:18 Whiteknight joined #parrot
17:30 dalek r36147 | bernhard++ | trunk/docs/pdds:
17:30 dalek : [codingstd] pdd_format.t
17:30 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36147
17:31 dmajnem2 joined #parrot
17:34 dalek r36148 | fperrad++ | trunk (2 files):
17:34 dalek : [codingstd] add check of Makefile coda
17:34 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36148
17:34 contingencyplan joined #parrot
17:39 dalek r36149 | fperrad++ | trunk (46 files):
17:39 dalek : [codingstd] fix coda of Makefiles
17:39 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36149
17:39 chromatic joined #parrot
17:46 pmichaud What's the new parrot repo location going to be?
17:46 pmichaud svn.parrot.org ?
17:47 particle i expect so, yes
17:47 particle that's what it is now, anyway
17:47 pmichaud http://svn.parrot.org/parrot/trunk ?
17:47 particle ooh, hey, does that start in 75 minutes?
17:47 pmichaud yes, 75m
17:47 particle pmichaud: click that link and take a look yourself :)
17:48 pmichaud "Revision 34015"
17:48 pmichaud looks out of date.  Or the revision numbers all change.
17:48 particle no, it's a test from earlier
17:48 particle proof-of-concept
17:48 particle today, svn head moves
17:49 particle well, svn dump
17:49 pmichaud looks like I have rakudo in github
17:49 davidfetter w00t!
17:49 pmichaud http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo
17:50 PerlJam rakudo/rakudo ?
17:50 pmichaud username + repo
17:50 pmichaud more precisely it's probably rakudo/rakudo.git
17:51 PerlJam wee!
17:51 PerlJam Now if you tell me that it already "works" as-is, I'll be shocked  :)
17:52 pmichaud depends on the meaning of "works"
17:52 pmichaud if you check it out into languages/rakudo/   and run Configure.pl, it works.
17:52 PerlJam (i.e., it already sorts out which parrot to use and such)
17:52 pmichaud it doesn't do the "sort out which parrot to use" part yet.
17:52 PerlJam yeah, I figured I'd need to put it in parrot
17:54 hercynium joined #parrot
17:54 jonathan pmichaud: Is there an SVN mirror?
17:54 jonathan (yet)
17:54 pmichaud jonathan: no.
17:54 jonathan Or better to ask: will there be?
17:54 pmichaud jonathan: there will be one if someone creates one.
17:55 pmichaud (I'm not planning to do it)
17:55 pmichaud git seems to be no trouble to use thus far.
17:55 hercynium git++ # interoperates with svn, so TIMTOWTDI
17:56 jonathan Which GIT version do I want?
17:56 pmichaud as in, I was able to checkout a (git) copy of rakudo into the parrot tree, make a change, and commit it back to the (git) repo without any difficulty.
17:56 Infinoid git 1.6.x
17:56 * jonathan installs
17:56 dalek r36150 | coke++ | trunk/runtime/parrot/library (2 files):
17:56 dalek : avoid usage of DEPRECATED Data::Escape library.
17:56 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36150
17:56 PerlJam pm: now you just need to start handing out commit bits to the appropriate people  :)
17:57 pmichaud PerlJam: correct.
17:57 PerlJam btw, github is awesome for that too.
17:57 pmichaud I've noticed :-)
17:58 * hercynium only stumled onto the conversation since he rarely watches this channel, even though he lurks
17:58 Infinoid I'm going to have some spare tuits, this evening.  Any fixing-things-after-the-repository-split tasks you can hand out to bored people like me?
17:59 dalek r36151 | rurban++ | trunk/config/init/hints:
17:59 dalek : [configure] hints/mswin32
17:59 dalek : - simplified get msvcversion
17:59 dalek : - no -wd warnings disable syntax on MSVC6 (version 12)
17:59 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36151
17:59 pmichaud Infinoid: I'll be updating the "how to get rakudo" instructions -- more eyes on that would be helpful.
17:59 Infinoid ok, I'll check it out
17:59 pmichaud (haven't done it yet... these things take time)
18:00 Infinoid if you have any ideas on how to do the "sort out which parrot to use" stuff, I'm happy to hack on that, too.
18:00 jonathan git checkout C:\Consulting\parrot\rakgit>git checkout git://github.com/rakudo/rakudo.git
18:00 jonathan fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
18:00 jonathan What am I doing wrong?
18:00 Infinoid s/checkout/clone/
18:01 jonathan Huh?
18:01 Infinoid use git clone, not git checkout
18:01 jonathan Ok
18:01 Infinoid "checkout" means "switch the local repository I'm sitting in to use the branch I've specified"
18:01 Infinoid clone means "make a local repository by copying stuff from this url"
18:01 jonathan OK, it's doing something.
18:02 pmichaud jonathan: I find it helps immensely to think "I'm in an svk world"  instead of "I'm in an svn world"
18:02 pmichaud then things make more sense
18:02 jonathan pmichaud: Apart from I never used svk either.
18:03 pmichaud jonathan: just remember that you have your own copy of the repository.  The *entire* repository.
18:03 jonathan Wow.
18:03 pmichaud thus "commit" means "commit to my working copy"
18:03 Infinoid that means all branches and all revisions
18:03 jonathan In that case, the checkout was fairly fast. Or did we lose version history?
18:03 pmichaud fast checkout is normal with git
18:03 Infinoid nope, it's all there
18:03 PerlJam jonathan: no, git is *fast*
18:03 purl okay, PerlJam.
18:03 jonathan Nice.
18:03 pmichaud and the way you get things from your local repository to the public one is "git push"
18:04 pmichaud with git there's no "official master" repository designated by the software.  It's only the "master" by convention.
18:04 jonathan OK.
18:04 jonathan Well, I have a checkout.
18:04 jonathan Erm.
18:05 jonathan A clone
18:05 jonathan :-)
18:05 Infinoid a repository
18:05 purl a repository is, like, see bast repo or http://code2.0beta.co.uk/mo​ose/svnweb/index.cgi/moose/
18:05 pmichaud note that rakudo now expects to be languages/rakudo instead of languages/perl6
18:05 particle so, should we be working with the clone directly, or have copies of it?
18:05 particle is the clone like //mirror in svk?
18:05 pmichaud work with the clone.
18:05 Infinoid I dunno //mirror
18:05 particle or, whatever it's called, i forget
18:06 particle ok
18:06 pmichaud you work in the directory you created as part of the clone.
18:06 pmichaud (languages/perl6 still exists in the parrot repo until everything settles out.  But languages/rakudo is now the "official" location.)
18:06 particle ok, so i'll get a fresh parrot co and stick a rakudo git clone there
18:07 pmichaud I'm waiting for my dns changes to take effect.
18:07 dalek r36152 | fperrad++ | trunk/languages/lua/t:
18:07 dalek : [Lua] mathx
18:07 dalek : now, Inf & NaN work on win32
18:07 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36152
18:08 jonathan pmichaud: ROADMAP could use a couple of updates - I have done some things in there. ;-)
18:08 pmichaud jonathan: ROADMAP is due for a complete rewrite.
18:08 Coke time?
18:08 purl i heard time was 18:08:38 2009 and (did you mean "clock"?) or flowing like a river
18:08 Coke clock?
18:08 purl Coke: LAX: Thu 10:08am PST / CHI: Thu 12:08pm CST / NYC: Thu 1:08pm EST / LON: Thu 6:08pm GMT / BER: Thu 7:08pm CET / IND: Thu 11:38pm IST / TOK: Fri 3:08am JST / SYD: Fri 5:08am EST /
18:08 jonathan pmichaud: OK. :-)
18:09 Coke svn move in 51m?
18:09 particle yep
18:09 particle meantime, I CAN HAZ RAKUDO GITBIT?
18:10 pmichaud github id?
18:12 * pmichaud guesses "particle"
18:12 particle particle is taken, i'm rakudoconsulting
18:12 pmichaud that's funny, "particle" brings up your picture :-)
18:12 particle oh?
18:12 particle maybe i already had an account :)
18:13 pmichaud http://github.com/particle
18:13 particle yep, that's me!
18:13 particle joy.
18:13 jonathan pmichaud: There's one critical issue we may have missed.
18:13 pmichaud jonathan: what's that?
18:13 jonathan We need to update the karma bot!!!
18:13 jonathan ;-)
18:14 pmichaud I'll give a karma point to whoever does that.  :-)
18:14 jonathan OK, so I should get a github account?
18:14 pmichaud jonathan: yes.
18:14 mberends joined #parrot
18:14 particle jonathan: it's not intuitive how, but at the bottom is a link, then select 'open source'
18:15 PerlJam there's a "Pricing and Signup" link at the  top too
18:16 * Coke manages to snag "coke" on github. whee.
18:16 chromatic Nice.
18:16 * Infinoid grabs "Infinoid"
18:16 jonathan pmichaud: My accoutn is 'jnthn'
18:16 Infinoid Uh.  That looked wrong.
18:17 jonathan *account
18:17 pmichaud jonathan: jnthn added
18:19 kj is the github account needed for the move of parrot to git?
18:19 pmichaud it's only needed if you plan to commit directly to the public repo
18:19 PerlJam kj: no, just the use of github
18:20 particle so, the first time i try to commit, it'll ask for my credentials?
18:20 pmichaud I think you need to set up a public key.
18:20 PerlJam yep
18:20 Coke kj: (parrot isn't moving to git)
18:21 particle i'm gonna need to know how to do that, then
18:21 kj Coke: ah yes, I was confused there for a bit. It's just moving to a different server
18:22 pmichaud particle: http://github.com/guides/providing-your-ssh-key
18:22 PerlJam github++
18:23 pmichaud http://git.rakudoperl.org/rakudo now works :-)
18:23 PerlJam you can also specify any number of public keys if you have multiple machines from which you work.
18:24 Coke is languages/perl6 in the parrot repo now defunct?
18:24 PerlJam For  those of you new to git, you may want to do http://git.rakudoperl.org/guides/tell​-git-your-user-name-and-email-address too
18:24 shorten PerlJam's url is at http://xrl.us/bed8j5
18:24 * PerlJam puts rakudoperl.org to use  :)
18:25 Coke PerlJam: the urls you are posting have JS errors in them, at least according to IE.
18:25 PerlJam that's github's fault, not mine :)
18:25 Infinoid awesome.  XML::RAI chokes on github's commit rss feed
18:26 diakopter Infinoid: :)
18:27 Infinoid ohai diakopter!  are you working on dalek too? :)
18:27 particle ok, one per machine.
18:28 kj pmichaud: can you add /me as well?
18:28 * jonathan afk for a bit - dinner and packing for workshop
18:28 pmichaud kj:  username?
18:28 kj kjs
18:28 pmichaud kj: aded
18:28 pmichaud *added
18:28 kj thanks
18:29 PerlJam pmichaud: when I go to http://git.rakudoperl.org/ and click on the login link I get "git.rakudoperl.org uses an invalid security certificate"   this may come up more as rakudoperl.org is published and people try to use it.
18:29 PerlJam pmichaud: just so you know.
18:29 diakopter Infinoid: heh, no... I'm selecting between tailor or svk to do mirroring to subversion at https://svn.perlsix.org/rakudo (not there yet)
18:30 pmichaud PerlJam: I don't plan to advertise "http://git.rakudoperl.org" anyway.  Mainly it'll be git://....
18:30 PerlJam okay.
18:30 particle wait... should i be using a clone of github.com or git.rakudoperl.com?
18:30 particle er, org.
18:30 PacoLinux joined #parrot
18:30 particle ok i was i scrollback
18:30 pmichaud particle:  I'd recommend git.rakudoperl.org, but I'm still feeling my way through this :-)
18:31 particle is there a git switch?
18:31 pmichaud I'd just remove languages/rakudo and re-clone.
18:31 pmichaud it's fast and easy enough :-)
18:31 particle okie fine
18:31 PerlJam particle: you can edit .git/config too
18:32 particle what should i edit it to be? git://git.rakudoperl.org/rakudo ?
18:33 pmichaud what is it now?
18:33 particle er, rakudo/rakudo.git
18:33 pmichaud just change the host
18:33 particle github.com/rakudo/rakudo.git
18:33 particle ok
18:33 particle what about the http?
18:34 PerlJam particle: that's fine
18:34 Coke rant: streams test that compares a 100 line file but gives no helpful diagnostic when there's a difference.
18:34 PerlJam particle: http://git.rakudoperl.org/rakudo/rakudo.git is how it should read
18:35 pmichaud github says git://...
18:35 Infinoid spectest_regression works fine in a git checkout :)
18:35 PerlJam pm: either works :)
18:36 PerlJam pm: well, either works directly from github, I don't know about through rakudoperl.org
18:36 pmichaud I'll be using git:// in the readme.
18:36 pmichaud if only because we might someday move to a non-http: repo
18:37 chromatic The Git protocol is also much more efficient.
18:37 purl okay, chromatic.
18:38 PerlJam it looks like git://github.com/rakudo/rakudo.git works, but git://git.rakudoperl.org/rakudo/rakudo.git does not
18:38 pmichaud PerlJam: correct, I'm getting the same results.
18:39 PerlJam chromatic: with such a small repo as rakudo, I doubt anyone will notice a difference :)
18:40 pmichaud PerlJam: Ah, I have to change the CNAME for git.rakudoperl.org
18:40 pmichaud it needs to be rakudo.github.com
18:45 pmichaud ...and we might need a paid account for it to work.
18:46 Coke svn move in 14m?
18:47 dalek r36153 | kjs++ | trunk/languages/pod/src/parser (2 files):
18:47 dalek : [pod] some work on languages/pod. Small bits.
18:47 dalek review: http://www.parrotvm.org/svn​/parrot/revision?rev=36153
18:49 particle someone put parrot on git, fast! ;)
18:49 davidfetter .oO(parrot implementation of git)
18:49 particle hush now
18:50 particle someone notify ohloh, so they don't mess up my stats :)
18:54 Coke anyone else heard anything since allison's note about the move earlier in the week?
18:54 Robrt joined #parrot
18:55 pmichaud I haven't heard anything additional, no.
18:57 Coke seen robrt?
18:57 purl robrt was last seen on #pobox 7 days, 23 hours, 8 minutes and 4 seconds ago, saying: Also, pine sucks.  [Jan 21 19:49:13 2009]
18:57 Coke amen, brother.
18:57 Coke clock?
18:57 purl Coke: LAX: Thu 10:57am PST / CHI: Thu 12:57pm CST / NYC: Thu 1:57pm EST / LON: Thu 6:57pm GMT / BER: Thu 7:57pm CET / IND: Fri 12:27am IST / TOK: Fri 3:57am JST / SYD: Fri 5:57am EST /
18:58 Robrt Coke, yes?
18:58 Coke hio.
18:58 Coke just wondering if you're all set for the migration in :02. =-)
18:58 Robrt Yes.
18:59 Coke Robrt++
18:59 pmichaud Robrt++
18:59 Robrt At least I think so.
18:59 bkuhn` joined #parrot
18:59 pmichaud just so there's not confusion:  it's okay if languages/perl6 (rakudo) gets copied along with the rest of Parrot in the migration
18:59 pmichaud we'll do any additional moves/adjustements to it once it's in the new location.
18:59 Robrt pmichaud: I was going to copy everything anyway.
18:59 pmichaud Robrt: excellent.
19:02 Robrt Ok.  Starting the process now.
19:04 rg if anyone is hacking on dalek after the move: would it be possible to output the name of a file, if a commit only changed one file? (since it says when more than one file was affected)
19:04 rg s/a file/the file/
19:04 allison joined #parrot
19:04 Robrt allison: we are go.
19:05 allison robrt: thumbs up!
19:05 purl i guess thumbs up is at http://www.friedmanarchives.com/China/Web/Ch​apter23/4%20Thumbs%20Up%204x6%2072%20dpi.jpg
19:05 diakopter Infinoid: see rg question above?
19:05 allison (I popped in channel to make sure everyone heard the migration start)
19:06 Coke shorten that
19:06 purl That URL is at http://xrl.us/bed8rb [parrotvm.org]
19:06 Coke dammit, purl.
19:06 purl janet!
19:06 Infinoid rg: sure can.  keep bugging me and it'll get done :)
19:06 * Coke hugs purl.
19:06 * purl flees!
19:07 rg coke++ lol :))
19:07 Infinoid (currently dalek parses the list of files out of the svnweb diff... I'm currently hacking up another version of that for github)
19:08 Infinoid one speedbump: github's atom feed lists the committer as "Patrick R. Michaud", not "pmichaud".  So I'd either need to do (Patrick R. Michaud)++, or have some kind of lookup table.
19:10 ask_ joined #parrot
19:12 Coke allison: I have a story ready to post on parrot.org right after the switch.
19:13 Coke mainly just a wrapper for the 'svn switch' command you posted earlier, just want to make sure it works before I post it.
19:14 allison Coke: excellent, thanks!
19:16 Robrt Move Status: still waiting for the dump to dump.  Another 10-15 minutes.
19:16 Coke Robrt++
19:17 Robrt Also, I just scheduled an oil change for my car in 2 hours, so if we're not done by then, y'all will have to wait till that's over.
19:17 Robrt :)
19:17 Coke ^_^
19:17 NotFound Someone can create an account for me with the name NotFound and drop permissions for julianalbo ?
19:23 particle "total",    6613,     0,   300,  1756,  8669, 14244
19:24 particle pmichaud++ git++
19:24 allison NotFound: better if you create the new account, but yes, can easily switch permissions
19:24 NotFound Create in in trac?
19:24 allison NotFound: yes
19:25 NotFound Is already created
19:25 allison NotFound: okay, just a sec...
19:25 kj allison: what would be the root node of a POD parse tree, a Pod::DocTree::Block?
19:27 allison kj: ah, I didn't add that node, should be Pod;DocTree;File
19:27 kj ok, well i can add it.
19:27 allison (when parsing multiple files, you'd get an array of P;DT;File nodes)
19:27 kj oh ok, right.
19:27 mberends joined #parrot
19:28 kj at this point I can't get things to work at all. Null PMC access in find_method()
19:29 allison kj: this is from the actions.pm file?
19:29 kj yes
19:29 kj ../../parrot pod.pbc, and then just typing in something like '=head1 x'
19:30 kj probably have to do a 'make' in all action methods. putting in placeholder make statements now
19:31 Infinoid ok, there.  I've now got a botnix plugin that emits:
19:31 Infinoid 9f84067 | (Patrick R. Michaud)++ | Configure.pl:
19:31 Infinoid : Modify Configure.pl to use "rakudo" instead of "perl6"
19:31 Infinoid review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/9​f84067ae241ef1dc6ee161c94f1cd612b2a0fb1
19:31 shorten Infinoid's url is at http://xrl.us/bed8uz
19:31 Robrt Move Status: Dump complete, now compressing.  Next up copy.
19:31 Infinoid pmichaud: is that what you want it to look like? :)
19:32 pmichaud Infinoid: looks great to me.
19:32 Coke Infinoid: as long as you're in there, can we get partcl commits too? =-)
19:33 pmichaud I'm waiting for "rakudo.github.com" to start working.
19:33 pmichaud I think I followed the instructions there, but no joy yet.
19:33 Infinoid pmichaud: Ok.  No qualms about the full author name?  (The RSS doesn't contain the username.)
19:33 Infinoid Coke: Sure can.  svn or git?  rss link?
19:33 pmichaud qualms, yes, but I don't have any good answers for you at the moment.
19:34 Coke Infinoid: svn
19:34 pmichaud it's not something that I would see as a blocker.
19:34 Coke it's a googlecode project. seeing if there is an obvious rss change feed.
19:34 lathos Bah. I think I need to wait a fortnight for all the various bits of dust to settle.
19:34 Infinoid Sounds like we're going to be tracking several rss feeds... one each for parrot, rakudo, partcl, maybe eclectus and pipp etc.  How should I disambiguate these visually?
19:35 Robrt Coke: There is
19:35 PerlJam Infinoid: prefix each line with the project name  :)
19:35 Coke Robrt: perhaps obvious is the wrong word, as I cannot see it. =-)
19:35 Infinoid PerlJam: That works.  I was thinking either that, or just prefix the "changed common prefix" part in the first line
19:36 Infinoid e.g. rakudo/Configure.pl
19:36 Robrt Coke: what's the project?
19:36 purl i heard the project was theoretically more bitter than us
19:36 Coke Infinoid: http://code.google.com/feed​s/p/partcl/svnchanges/basic
19:36 Coke (google reader found it for me, yay.)
19:36 PerlJam Infinoid: should the commit messages perhaps have their own channel?
19:36 Infinoid I don't have a problem with that, either.
19:37 Infinoid diakopter: are you ok with me significantly increasing dalek's workload? :)
19:37 basic Infinoid: want to test email2trac again?
19:37 Infinoid basic: ok, one moment.
19:37 basic thanks :)
19:39 Infinoid I should probably start making tickets for these dalek requests.
19:40 Robrt Move Status: loading dumpfile into new repository.  wondering why i didn't just rsync over the raw directory tree
19:40 Infinoid basic: Jan 29 11:38:17 [postfix/smtp] 7F8342D9DCF: to=<tickets@parrot.org>, relay=smtp4.osuosl.org[140.211.166.137]:25, delay=2, delays=0.28/0.01/1.1/0.6, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 516333F5E5)
19:40 diakopter Infinoid: what do you mean..?
19:40 Coke Robrt: then we'd have missed like 3 status updates, that's why!
19:40 basic neat
19:40 Infinoid diakopter: Sounds like we want to track at least 3 rss feeds, and move all of these notices to their own channel.
19:41 Coke (own channel) If you're moving out of #parrot, don't bother grabbing partcl's stuff on my account.
19:41 Coke (feel free to include it for others)
19:41 Infinoid basic: how much delay should we expect?  I don't see anything coming up on https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/49 yet.
19:42 Infinoid Coke: We could settle the details democratically.  I'm just making a list of requests...
19:42 basic Infinoid: oh, it may not work with the migration going on right now
19:43 diakopter Infinoid: I don't mind... just sigterm botnix and it should restart gracefully immediately
19:43 Infinoid Ok, thanks.  (both of you)
19:44 Infinoid I kinda like the single-line commit messages in #perl6, to be honest.  The ones dalek emits are rather more verbose.
19:45 Infinoid If spamming #parrot is a concern, I can always switch the format.  Or emit a more verbose version somewhere else, if someone wants review links.
19:45 Infinoid Any thoughts?
19:45 purl Any thoughts are welcome =)
19:45 chromatic I like reading commit logs and knowing what's going on.
19:45 PerlJam Infinoid: I like single-line messages on #parrot, full message on #other_channel
19:46 allison NotFound: okay, your user in trac now has subversion commit permissions. The 'julianalbo' account from the old system not ported over to the new one.
19:46 PerlJam (I don't know what to call the other channel.  #parrot_related_commits?)
19:46 NotFound allison: nice, thanks
19:46 Infinoid Do the various languages have their own channels?  If so, it might make sense to have a summary here and the full message there... but keep full parrot messages here, as this is parrot's channel.
19:46 allison PerlJam: maybe just #parrot-commits, to match the mailing list
19:48 PerlJam allison: How sane  :)  works for me.
19:48 Infinoid Okay.  Is that the concensus?  Works for me.
19:48 pmichaud I don't have a problem with #parrot spams thus far.
19:49 allison I like having the revision links in-channel
19:51 Coke (more verbose) eh. if we have a link in channel, we don't need more verbose in another channel.
19:51 Infinoid How about: stay with the current format and put all the feeds in here, and then move them out if/when project activity gets out of hand?
19:51 chromatic If they get out of hand, +1.
19:51 allison Infinoid: +1
19:51 purl 1
19:51 Infinoid (We *want* project activity to get out of hand, but at the moment I don't think the level of spam will be any different from what it was yesterday.)
19:51 PerlJam Infinoid: sounds good, +1
19:52 Infinoid Ok, thanks!
19:52 kj allison: is there a reference from which you wrote languages/pod's grammar?
19:53 bricas allison: will you be updating your ppa archive with the new parrot release?
19:54 kj pmichaud: what does "No handler to delete" message mean in a PCT-based compiler?
19:55 pmichaud means a pop_eh without a corresponding push_eh somewhere.
19:55 kj mm. it should be in the generated PIR somewhere. Does that imply there's a bug in NQP (or perhaps PCT)?
19:56 pmichaud I don't know that it implies an NQP or PCT bug, no.
19:56 pmichaud would help to see the PIR output.
19:58 allison kj: yes, perlpodspec http://perldoc.perl.org/perlpodspec.html
19:58 allison bricas: I'm actually switching to the main parrot PPA, now that it compiles on 64-bit
19:58 allison bricas: my personal PPA was just a test
19:59 bricas allison: ah-ha :) thanks!
20:00 allison kj: also many years of experience maintaining Pod::Simple (PGE is *so* much cleaner for parsing Pod)
20:00 pmichaud oh!  I remember my question now.  Is this parsing perl5pod or perl6pod ?
20:01 allison pmichaud: perl5pod, since that's what we have in the repository currently
20:01 allison pmichaud: would be pretty quick to add the perl6pod variations as a subclass or fork
20:02 allison pmichaud: last I heard, the spec was still shifting there?
20:02 pmichaud it is, yes.
20:02 pmichaud I was just curious.  :-)
20:02 kj allison: yes, i can imagine. It looks pretty straightforward. I hope to get something working soon, once I can resolve the 'no handler to delete' issue.
20:02 allison pmichaud: still, it wouldn't hurt to have a PGE parser for it
20:02 kj pmichaud: i'll check with you later, regarding the generated code
20:02 kj thanks for now, anyway
20:03 Robrt Move Update: the svandmin load is taking too long, I'm working on Plan B to see if I can speed it up
20:03 pmichaud parser for perl6pod?  We already have a basic one in Rakudo.  :-)
20:03 pmichaud (doesn't handle all of the special formats in the pod itself, no -- just the macro-level stuff)
20:03 allison pmichaud: then won't bother with a lower-level one
20:04 allison pmichaud: we need a Pod5 parser in Parrot so we can eliminate external dependencies
20:04 kj nopaste?
20:04 clunker3 http://pasta.test-smoke.org/ or http://paste.husk.org/ or http://nopaste.snit.ch:8001/ or http://rafb.net/paste or http://poundperl.pastebin.com/ or http://paste.scsys.co.uk/
20:04 purl nopaste is at http://nopaste.snit.ch/ (ask TonyC for new channels) or http://rafb.net/paste or http://poundperl.pastebin.com/ or http://paste.scsys.co.uk/ or App::Nopaste or tools/dev/nopaste.pl or at http://www.extpaste.com/ or http://paste.scsys.co.uk (for #catalyst, #dbix-class, #moose  and others)
20:04 pmichaud oh, I totally agree.
20:04 pmichaud I was just curious what you did :-)
20:04 nopaste "kjs" at 193.1.104.5 pasted "No handler to delete" (7 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15454
20:05 kj pmichaud: actually, now I think of it, the error is indicated to be in src/pct/hllcompiler.
20:05 allison kjs: how are you running the compiler? with --target=parse? another target? no target?
20:05 kj no target
20:06 pmichaud kj:  it's possible that hllcompiler has a bug in push_eh/pop_eh, yes.
20:06 kj and the place where the error is indicated, has a 'push_eh' commented out
20:06 allison kj: try it with --target=parse, I'm curious which stage it's happening at
20:06 pmichaud kj:  if you're running with no target and there's no code gen, then "no handler to delete" might be expected.
20:06 kj allison: the parse is ok
20:06 kj meaning, --target=parse is no error
20:06 pmichaud kj:  is there a past structure being generated?
20:06 allison pmichaud: how do we delete handlers?
20:07 kj pmichaud: yes, Pod::DocTree::Nodes
20:07 pmichaud allison:  pop_eh removes a handler, iirc
20:07 allison pmichaud: no, it's generating an alternate set of nodes
20:07 kj (subclasses of that)
20:07 rurban joined #parrot
20:07 allison pmichaud: they're subclasses of PCT::Node, but not related to the PAST nodes
20:07 pmichaud ah.  The default stages attempt to call PAST::Compiler on whatever comes back from the parse stage
20:07 rurban "svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem" Are we moving house?
20:07 pmichaud so you probably need to adjust the stages
20:08 kj it checks for isa PAST::Node
20:08 kj which it isn't
20:08 allison pmichaud: that was actually my biggest question, how to change hllcompiler's stages
20:08 pmichaud allison: that's actually going to change this month.
20:08 kj and then it goto err_past, which tries to pop_eh
20:08 pmichaud but currently there's an "addstage" and various other methods on HLLCompiler to do it.
20:08 allison pmichaud: is there a "removestage"
20:08 pmichaud allison: yes.
20:08 Infinoid rurban: yep, transition in progress
20:09 rurban good
20:09 kj should the Pod::DocTree classes be subclasses of PAST::Node? or wouldn't that help?
20:09 pmichaud but as I said, I expect the whole stages thing to be refactored.
20:09 allison pmichaud: which stages would we need to remove to cut out everything after the initial "parse->ast" stage
20:09 pmichaud allison: you can supply a completely new list of stages
20:09 allison pmichaud: sure, we're just looking to get it working for now
20:09 Topic for #parrotis now 11:58] <@allison> bricas: my personal PPA was just a test
20:09 Infinoid oops
20:09 Topic for #parrotis now Parrot 0.9.0 "From Outer Space" Released | http://parrot.org/ | svn transition in progress
20:09 kj maybe just removestage everything after the parse->past conversion
20:09 pmichaud it's compiler.'stages'(...)
20:10 allison pmichaud: are there any examples in the repository?
20:10 pmichaud not that I know of (that manipulate the stages)
20:10 pmichaud but effectively:
20:10 pmichaud $P0 = split ' ', 'parse past foo bar baz'
20:10 pmichaud compiler.'stages'($P0)
20:11 pmichaud sets the explicit list of stages for compiler
20:11 allison pmichaud: okay, good. and then how would you set the actions file for your custom stage 'foo'?
20:11 pmichaud I'd probably keep the existing past stage
20:11 pmichaud it doesn't care if what comes back is past
20:12 pmichaud or something else
20:12 pmichaud oh wait, yes it does.
20:12 pmichaud hrm.
20:12 allison pmichaud: what we'd have is something like 'parse doctree html' or 'parse doctree man',
20:12 pmichaud well, eventually each "stage" will be able to register itself as an HLLCompiler
20:13 pmichaud so there won't be a need to list the stages -- it'll be automatically computed via '--target'
20:13 allison pmichaud: makes sense
20:13 pmichaud for now each "stage" is just a method on the HLLCompiler object
20:13 allison pmichaud: all we really need for now is a quick hack to get the chain started, even if we need to subclass and extend HLLCompiler
20:14 pmichaud my suggestion is subclass HLLCompiler, add 'doctree' and 'html' methods.
20:14 allison so, if you have a stage named 'doctree', you need to add a method named 'doctree' to HLLCompiler, or the subclass?
20:14 allison ah, yes
20:14 pmichaud either works.
20:15 allison and, we can look at the existing 'parse', 'past', 'post' etc methods for examples of how the 'doctree', 'html' etc methods should work
20:15 pmichaud rakudo has an example of subclassing HLLCompiler and adding methods, I think.
20:15 pmichaud and yes, look at existing examples.
20:15 pmichaud those methods are all very short.
20:15 pmichaud (past isn't, but that's because it's trying to handle both PAST::Compiler and TGE::Compiler stuff.)
20:16 allison kj: does that make sense? do you want to take a stab at it, or would you like me to do it?
20:17 * allison copying details into a text file to refer back to them
20:18 kj (backscrolling)
20:18 Robrt Move Update: Copy done.  Now testing.
20:18 mberends joined #parrot
20:21 NotFound There is no TV show transmitting this on air ;)
20:21 NotFound ?
20:23 Robrt Move Status: Things are looking good, now getting trac in shape.
20:24 basic Robrt: i can fix the lock
20:25 tewk ll
20:25 Robrt basic: Thanks.  Should I be running resync as root or as myself?
20:26 kj pmichaud, allison: so, basically, 1) create a subclass of HLLCompiler 2) instantiate it 3) set its stages attribute (through the 'split' trick) 4) invoke it
20:26 pmichaud kj: yes
20:26 pmichaud although "invoke it" is really hllcompiler.'compile'(...)
20:26 allison kj: yes, and you can do all that in the main pod.pir compiler file
20:27 pmichaud correct.
20:27 kj ok, I'll have a look.
20:27 pmichaud that's the logical place for it to go.
20:27 pmichaud perl6.pir is the example I'm most familiar with.
20:27 kj yes looking at that now.
20:27 kj that seems straightforward enough
20:30 rurban jonathan: I'm working now on documenting the new packfile format: parrotbyte.pod, the native_pbc tests and enhancing pdump to match the new format.
20:31 Whiteknight rurban++, we need more packfile documentation
20:33 rurban But as I see it it is still not parrot inter-version portable. hmm. old-parrot new-pbc =>  "Iterator init without aggregate"
20:34 alvar_ joined #parrot
20:37 Robrt Move Status Update: svn is all done and works and is tested (at least once).  Trac is resyncing slowly behind the scenes.  Y'all are good to go.
20:37 Infinoid Robrt++
20:37 rurban Robrt++
20:38 lathos What's the magic switchover command?
20:38 nopaste "kjs" at 193.1.104.5 pasted "create a subclass of HLLCompiler: class 'HLLCompiler' does not exist..." (22 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15455
20:39 Infinoid lathos: svn sw --relocate http://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk https://svn.parrot.org/parrot/trunk
20:40 Infinoid (replace "http" with "https" if that's what your old checkout was using.)
20:40 lathos Neato.
20:40 chromatic And the svk switchover?
20:40 Infinoid Hell if I know.
20:41 allison chromatic: svk does have a switchover technique
20:41 NotFound Fresh checkout is always an option
20:41 Infinoid I haven't figured it out for git-svn, either.
20:41 Robrt I think for svk you have to jump through hoops and update a prop somewhere.
20:41 lathos Now, how long do we have before we have to bugger about again with rakudo and git?
20:41 PerlJam Infinoid: I think there's a file you can edit and it just works (for git svn)
20:41 Robrt In this case, we just picked up the server side files representing the repo and moved them.  The only things different are the URL and authentication mechanisms.
20:41 allison chromatic: it's something like "rebase"
20:42 Infinoid PerlJam: probably .git/config or somesuch.  I just haven't had the chance to look yet.
20:42 * Infinoid is working on some dalek plugins first
20:42 PerlJam Infinoid: I'm about to look now.
20:42 Infinoid Great, please let me know.
20:44 allison chromatic: svk mirror --relocate DEPOTPATH URL
20:47 PerlJam Infinoid: I just edited what looked to be the appropriate URL in .git/config, but it doesn't seem to want to rebase now.
20:47 PerlJam it just sits there.  I have no clue what it's doing.
20:49 rurban First?
20:49 purl somebody said First was => wrong
20:50 rurban Ah I see, the irc hook is not yet working. Just committed r36155
20:51 chromatic Just pulled r36155.
20:51 rg it looks like all the docs on http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/ are empty (except for header and footer). i guess that needs to be switched, too?
20:53 PerlJam not all of the docs
20:53 PerlJam everything from "Reference Material" down seems to work okay
20:54 Whiteknight how do we authenticate the new SVN server? our trac username/password?
20:54 rurban same as before
20:54 rg the pdds don't
20:54 Whiteknight same svn.perl.org username?
20:54 kj same doesn't work for me
20:54 rurban for me it worked. interesting
20:54 allison your username and password is your trac user/pass
20:54 kj it does work with my trac.parrot.org password
20:55 allison so, if you had them set the same, they're the same
20:55 allison the old accounts are all gone
20:55 kj allison: I took a stab at it, but I can't get it working (pod). Maybe I'm doing something very wrong
20:56 rg so make that only the reference material section works.
20:56 allison you can create a trac account that you only use for svn (that is, if you want a different username/password for svn)
20:56 Coke http://www.parrot.org/ has the new repo information.
20:57 allison kj: did you commit what you've done so far?
20:57 Coke (only on the front page atm.)
20:57 kj allison: anyway, I commited what I had
20:57 kj yes
20:57 allison kj: okay, I'll take a look at it
20:57 Infinoid Go trac go.  It only has 5 more years of revisions to work through.
20:57 * chromatic patches IMCC for jonathan.
20:57 Coke note that commit emails are currently lacking.
20:57 kj allison: not sure what level of priority this has... with 1.0 coming up...
20:57 allison Coke: they're still going to the perl.org address
20:58 allison (because we copied over the commit hooks directly)
20:58 Coke allison: if they're going there, they're being moderated.
20:58 allison Coke: I got one
20:58 rurban the irc commit hook does not work
20:58 Coke 36154. ?
20:58 Coke (that was the first commit to the new repo)
20:59 allison Coke: oh, wait, the time stamp was 10:47, not 12:47
20:59 rurban 36155 was me: src/pdump -h visual change
20:59 allison Coke: okay, need to update those scripts
21:00 Coke allison: robert specifically did not re-enable the post-commit hooks it seems.
21:00 allison Coke: or, they're not working because mail sending is configured differently on the new server
21:00 * kj is hungry and goes home
21:01 Coke allison: " I had the following post-commit hooks on perl.org - as Will noted,
21:01 Coke you may want to re-institute some of them"
21:01 Coke --Robrt
21:01 Coke Robrt++
21:02 allison Coke: ah, right, then yes, we'll need to readd
21:03 Coke allison: probably want to create a parrot.org list for the commit messages and reply those that are post-switch.
21:04 allison Coke: list already created, it's parrot-commits@lists.parrot.org
21:04 chromatic ... and I can commit.
21:04 Coke Age: 4 years.
21:04 purl hmmm... 4 years is just not practical.
21:04 Coke chromatic: see, it wasn't that bad. *cough*
21:05 chromatic Good.  I'm pleased.
21:06 chromatic Now to figure out how to subscribe to YAFML.
21:06 Coke YAFML
21:06 Coke YAFML?
21:06 Coke ya fine markup language?
21:06 chromatic Mailing List
21:07 Coke ... yes, that does make more sense.
21:07 jsut|work i think the F might not represent fine either, but who knows
21:07 chromatic '
21:07 chromatic "D stands for a lot of things."  -- Neil Gaiman
21:07 rurban May I already commit again?
21:07 Coke Yes.
21:08 Topic for #parrotis now Parrot 0.9.0 "From Outer Space" Released | http://parrot.org/ | svn transition complete-ish
21:09 Coke chromatic: (r36159) you funny.
21:10 chromatic I am?
21:14 rurban I'm getting now llvm-gcc stackdumps on freebsd 7, upgrading to 2.4
21:14 rurban (compiler internal failure... bla...)
21:19 Coke Age: 3 years
21:41 bkuhn joined #parrot
21:50 basic allison: hey, im about to leave but i can hop on my laptop in class
21:54 russell_h joined #parrot
21:54 allison basic: I was just looking for info on available svn commit hook mailer scripts on parrotvm.osuosl.org
22:08 Coke Age: 22 months
22:09 Whiteknight joined #parrot
22:10 particle coke: is this updates on benjamin button?
22:10 Infinoid I'm probably not helping trac's latency at all by testing the rss stuff on it as it updates.
22:13 russell_h its mostly just iowait
22:14 russell_h the disk in the vm is connected via iscsi, so basically all disk io goes over the network
22:14 Infinoid ah.
22:14 russell_h reading svn -> writing trac db is a lot of io
22:16 Infinoid My rss stuff has an http fetch timeout of 30 seconds; I'm hitting that timeout sometimes while testing this.
22:16 Infinoid Anyway, I think I've got a botnix plugin that will work with the new parrot repo.
22:16 Infinoid Unfortunately, trac doesn't include the list of changed/added/deleted files in the rss description, so I'm scraping the changeset link to get that stuff.
22:16 russell_h yesterday the trac got > 12k hits from Googlebot
22:17 Infinoid Nice.
22:17 russell_h I've been updating robots.txt, and ip banned one googlebot for today
22:18 rg for google, iirc you can also put a hint in robots.txt about how many requests googlebot should make.
22:19 russell_h I'll look into that. Google ignores the crawl-delay setting for some reason. Apparently you have to set that in their webmaster tools, which resets it every 90 days
22:20 nopaste "Infinoid" at 96.238.213.50 pasted "For the interested, here's what the IRC output of the 3 new rss parsers will look like." (11 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15456
22:22 particle infinoid: how about parrot r18... | ... | ... ; partcl r324 | ... | ... ; rakudo 9f... | ... | ...
22:22 particle oh, nm
22:22 particle well, yeah, you don't need the colon
22:23 particle i guess every line should have the preface, though, so the colon is better
22:23 Infinoid well...
22:23 particle is it possible commit messages will cross within the same bot?
22:23 Infinoid the colon was already there prefixing the actual log message
22:23 Infinoid That made the header and footer lines a bit more visually distinct.
22:23 particle i was imagining the project name only on the first line
22:24 PerlJam In the spirit of noticing random patterns, does anyone else find it mildly interesting the partcl, parrot, and rakudo all have the same number of letters?
22:24 Infinoid It isn't possible that commit messages will cross; botnix is a simple single-threaded thing.
22:24 basic allison: we can add whatever svn hooks you need, all of the old hooks should work if you want to move those scripts over
22:25 Infinoid PerlJam: Yeah.  And so does lazy-k.  But eclectus, hq9plus etc don't
22:25 PerlJam Infinoid: then there's obviously something wrong with those others  :)
22:25 Infinoid I can always change the prefix to something more visually distinct.
22:25 Infinoid PerlJam: blame barney :)
22:25 rg infinoid: is [languages/lisp] part of the commit message or something the bot outputs?
22:25 Infinoid rg: it's part of the commit message
22:25 PerlJam I like the prefix as you have it.
22:26 rg i like it too. infinoid++ :)
22:26 particle i only don't like that partcl includes partcl/ before trunk
22:26 Infinoid Ah.  Yeah, that's an artifact of a previous mindset.
22:27 Infinoid Should I remove the "project:" prefix from all but the first line?  It improves visual distinctness, and I kinda like it.
22:27 PerlJam I vote to leave it.
22:28 rg me too (not that i expect to have a vote ;))
22:28 particle leave it
22:28 Infinoid ok
22:28 particle one place is better than two, though (on the same line)
22:28 Infinoid yeah, I'm removing the partcl/ part
22:30 particle Infinoid++
22:30 particle dentist &
22:31 Infinoid It seems the parrot commit rate *really* ramped up a couple of years ago.
22:32 rg russel_h: i found an article from 12/2008 and it seems like you're right and they're now only using the webmaster tools setting that resets after 90 days. i think that's kind of a step backwards. google--
22:36 russell_h quite
22:38 dalek joined #parrot
22:38 Infinoid That should enable karma logging for rakudo and partcl.  I'll enable parrot once trac catches up.
22:43 basic can someone drop the post commit scripts on the vm?  i'll get those setup fo ryou
22:44 allison basic: they're there now, and should be set up, I'm about to make a commit to test
22:44 basic allison: oh okay :)
22:47 Infinoid 10000 more commits (1 year) left to go...
22:51 allison basic: you want to take a quick look? the script and configuration file are in /var/lib/svn/bin/ and work just fine when I run them from the command-line, but /var/lib/svn/parrot/hooks/post-commit isn't working
22:51 allison basic: possibly a permissions problem? I went with the same user/group as the other files in the hooks directory
22:53 basic let me see
22:56 russell_h "
22:57 russell_h opps. IRC via phone... not fun
22:57 basic allison: is there a revision i can use to test the post-commit?
22:57 Robrt allison: You don't want to put it in /var/lib/svn/bin
22:57 Robrt https://svn.parrot.org/
22:58 Robrt (At least I wouldn't.)
22:58 basic i dont see any errors
22:58 Infinoid bin/ is not a repository.
22:59 basic Jan 29 22:58:33 parrotvm.osuosl.org postfix/smtp[23641]: 53674134092: to=<parrot-commits@lists.parrot.org>, relay=smtp1.osuosl.org[140.211.166.138]:25, delay=0.25, delays=0.18/0.03/0.02/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 7AA0A108769)
22:59 basic but yeah, i've always put the scripts in the hooks dir
23:00 allison Robrt: the general script should go in a general directory, but true that the conf file should go in a directory specific to that repository
23:00 Robrt Yes, I just wouldn't use /var/lib/svn, because it shows up externally.
23:00 Robrt Pick anywhere else :)
23:01 allison basic: any revision # under 36162 works
23:01 allison Robrt: why does it show up externally?
23:02 allison Robrt: is see. strange configuration, but okay
23:02 chromatic Robrt, basic -- thank you for the smooth migration, by the way.
23:02 allison s/is/I/
23:03 basic chromatic: you're welcome
23:03 Robrt chromatic: you're welcome.
23:04 Robrt allison: yes, strange config :)  It's using... SVNParentPath or something that tells apache "all directories under here are svn repositories"
23:04 basic allison: did that email go through? it looks like it left the local queue, i wonder if mailman is deferring them?
23:04 Whiteknight migration was very smooth, I agree
23:04 allison basic: I checked the mailman queue... earlier
23:04 allison basic: looking for the new message now...
23:04 Infinoid PerlJam: did the .git/config change eventually work for you?  It's working here.
23:06 allison basic: okay, I just got 36162
23:06 basic great!
23:07 allison basic: thanks!
23:07 basic let me check our configs, i believe i setup svnmailer on another host in a more universal path
23:09 basic ah that was centos
23:09 allison basic: we can just move bin/ to /var/lib/svn/parrot/.
23:10 basic i would keep the script and config in hooks/
23:10 allison basic: ok, that works too (whatever's easiest to maintain)
23:11 Whiteknight trac appears to be at r29800 now
23:11 Infinoid Yep, still a ways to go.
23:11 * Infinoid is looking forward to seeing how broken the new rss scripts are.
23:15 Whiteknight I just got a segfault in t/native_pbc/number.t on a fresh checkout
23:15 Whiteknight anybody else seeing that failure?
23:17 * Coke_afk commits to partcl
23:18 Coke I see the email is moved.
23:18 chromatic Whiteknight, not here.
23:19 bacek_ joined #parrot
23:24 Infinoid Whiteknight: I can reproduce it here
23:24 TiMBuS joined #parrot
23:24 kid51 joined #parrot
23:25 Infinoid Whiteknight: r36160
23:29 Infinoid apparently .pbc isn't portable between platforms.
23:31 Whiteknight .pbc should be portable, shouldn't it be?
23:32 chromatic Should be.
23:33 kid51 Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with the switch of the repository?
23:33 Whiteknight t/native_pbc/integer.t is failing too
23:33 Limbic_Region joined #parrot
23:34 kid51 I had trouble earlier today with one sandbox that was checkout only.
23:34 kid51 Am now going to try on my own boxes.
23:34 nopaste "Infinoid" at 96.238.213.50 pasted "pbc failure on x86-64 after r36160" (39 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/15457
23:41 rg are you guys still busy with the switch? i'd like to ask a few questions regarding exceptions
23:41 Infinoid rg: asking never hurts :)
23:41 rg well i don't want to keep you away from more important tasks ;)
23:43 NotFound rg: we can make an exception ;)
23:43 tetragon joined #parrot
23:43 rg so let's start with: what's the status of rethrow? there's a test saying it's deprecated, but no other reference to that.
23:44 kid51 Okay, the 'svn switch --relocate' worked for me in the 2 cases where the original checkout was https.
23:45 Infinoid Yay, die bot die.
23:45 dalek joined #parrot
23:45 chromatic tetragon was a bot?
23:45 Infinoid No, but dalek is.
23:45 kid51 Though on my iBook, I had to do it twice, because the first time thru I didn't hit the p[Enter] -- to permanently accept the server certificate -- quickly enough.
23:46 kid51 tetragon is at this hour about to start a talk at Toronto.pm
23:46 chromatic Then I hope she's not a bot.
23:46 NotFound There's nothing about rethrow in DEPRECATED.pod
23:46 kid51 No.  She's a Scot.
23:46 Infinoid This New Improved dalek will (supposedly) give us svn and git logs and all that good stuff.
23:47 kid51 What was wrong with the old dalek?
23:47 Infinoid The old dalek had parrot-svn disabled, because the svn was slowly adding tens of thousands of revs as trac synced itself up.
23:47 kid51 Worked much better than the old bot, what was its name .... svnbotl?
23:48 Infinoid Oh, that.  Switching repos meant switching rss feeds, which meant switching parsers.
23:48 kid51 k
23:48 Infinoid I've also added feed readers for rakudo and partcl.
23:48 kid51 Where do bots go when they are disabled?
23:48 chromatic Calculator Heaven
23:48 kid51 but purl will go to Calculator Hell!
23:49 * Infinoid pats purl
23:49 * purl purrs
23:49 chromatic It's in New Jersey.
23:49 * kid51 breathes easy now that his sandboxes are reoriented.
23:51 rg hmm no takers for rethrow status?
23:52 chromatic I usually give those things to Tene because he's young and naive enough to take them.
23:52 kid51 Hmm, lots of changes in config/auto/*.pm since yesterday.  How much you wanna bet the tests were not run?
23:53 chromatic They all pass for me.
23:53 NotFound rg: there are tests with rethrow that pass, for example t/pmc/coroutine.t
23:54 Tene What am I taking?
23:54 rg oh ... there are even more exception tests? more code to read :)
23:54 Tene rg: what's up with rethrow?
23:54 rg so i guess the comment in t/pmc/exception.t is wrong and the test needs to be fixed or removed.
23:55 rg it's marked todo => "deprecate rethrow"
23:56 Whiteknight appears trac is synched now
23:56 Coke Infinoid: any luck resurrecting the commit bot?
23:56 NotFound rg: I qualify it as uninfomative, rather than wrong.
23:57 Whiteknight ARISE BOT! I COMMANDITH IT!
23:57 Tene rg: does it pass if you uncomment the rethrow?
23:58 rg I believe it would. let me check that properly.
23:58 Tene I have never heard of deprecating rethrow
23:58 chromatic "commandith"?
23:59 Tene lemme check when that was added.
23:59 Coke I would have gone for "eth"
23:59 Coke I have heard that rethrow doesn't work.
23:59 chromatic Sounds like amateur hour on the Improper Pluralization Stage at the local ren faire.
23:59 Tene are there tickets about it?  The tests for it work fine...
23:59 kid51 okay, all the configuration and postconfiguration tests passed.  Now let's see how the test coverage has been affected.

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Parrot | source cross referenced