Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #parrot, 2009-06-22

Parrot | source cross referenced

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:07 guru joined #parrot
00:08 Tene japhb: John Postel?
00:08 japhb http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Postel
00:09 Tene Right!  I can look things up for myself!
00:09 japhb heh
00:09 * Tene google fail.
00:27 s1n_yapc joined #parrot
00:28 bacek good morning, #parrot
00:29 Tene morning
00:30 japhb morning
00:30 Infinoid happy monday bacek
00:34 mikehh at least it is Monday for me - if very early (01:34) - :-}
00:38 Infinoid clock?
00:38 purl Infinoid: LAX: Sun 5:38pm PDT / CHI: Sun 7:38pm CDT / NYC: Sun 8:38pm EDT / LON: Mon 1:38am BST / BER: Mon 2:38am CEST / IND: Mon 6:08am IST / TOK: Mon 9:38am JST / SYD: Mon 10:38am EST /
00:39 bacek Infinoid: it's not so happy... It's Monday!
00:39 Infinoid think of it as Tuesday Eve then
00:40 * bacek dreaming about Friday :)
00:42 mikehh ha - I really need some sleep if I am going to face the real world Monday later
00:42 Infinoid the real world is over-rated
00:43 mikehh for sure - but clients seem to think office hours are important :-}
00:43 Infinoid yeah.  sounds like a hardware problem.
00:44 mikehh I don't know - more like wet-ware
00:45 Infinoid heh
00:45 mikehh It has been raining a lot here
00:45 Infinoid here too
00:46 mikehh anyway I am going to leave a fulltest running while I take a break - cul8r
00:47 japhb What's the current idiom for creating an (empty) second object with the same class as a given object?  '$P1 = getclass $P0; $P2 = new $P1' ?
00:48 japhb And what about if the first object is 'self'?
00:57 Zak joined #parrot
00:59 japhb Ah-ha!
00:59 japhb not getclass (or get_class), but typeof.
00:59 japhb Now to figure out where my math is screwy
01:00 japhb woot
01:01 japhb Linear algebra in PIR is WORDY.
01:07 sviebrock joined #parrot
01:09 zak_ joined #parrot
01:32 kurahaupo joined #parrot
01:35 Infinoid Linear algebra is probably wordy in most assembly languages :)
01:57 magnachef joined #parrot
02:02 dukeleto joined #parrot
02:23 Austin_Hastings joined #parrot
02:25 dalek parrot: r39693 | japhb++ | trunk (4 files):
02:25 dalek parrot: [OpenGL] Beginnings of OpenGL::Math (not yet generally usable)
02:25 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39693/
02:48 cotto joined #parrot
02:49 cotto pmc2c--
02:49 cotto karma pmc2c
02:49 purl pmc2c has karma of -3
02:50 cotto pmc2c--
02:50 cotto pmc2c--
02:50 cotto karma purl
02:50 purl purl has karma of 8611
02:51 dalek parrot: r39694 | cotto++ | trunk (2 files):
02:51 dalek parrot: [pmc] fix a misnamed VTABLE function and reference in the docs
02:51 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39694/
02:54 amuck joined #parrot
03:08 cotto joined #parrot
03:20 donaldh joined #parrot
03:25 cotto irl quote incoming
03:27 dalek tracwiki: v20 | cotto++ | ParrotQuotes
03:27 dalek tracwiki: Whiteknight meets Larry
03:27 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/Pa​rrotQuotes?version=20&action=diff
03:28 patspam joined #parrot
03:44 Andy joined #parrot
03:59 Austin_Hastings cotto++
04:12 dalek parrot: r39695 | japhb++ | trunk/runtime/parrot/library/OpenGL/Math.pir:
04:12 dalek parrot: [OpenGL] Refactor Math.pir: "Oh right, we have *macros*!"
04:12 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39695/
04:12 dalek parrot: r39696 | petdance++ | trunk/src/jit/i386/jit_defs.c:
04:12 dalek parrot: use NULL, not 0, for pointers
04:12 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39696/
04:16 dalek parrot: r39697 | petdance++ | trunk/lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Attribute.pm:
04:16 dalek parrot: use NULL, not 0, for pointers
04:16 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39697/
04:16 dalek parrot: r39698 | japhb++ | trunk/MANIFEST:
04:16 dalek parrot: [OpenGL] Update MANIFEST
04:16 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39698/
04:22 dalek parrot: r39699 | petdance++ | trunk/src/key.c:
04:22 dalek parrot: localized a variable, and removed an unused one
04:22 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39699/
04:49 dalek parrot: r39700 | petdance++ | trunk/src/key.c:
04:49 dalek parrot: more variable localizing
04:49 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39700/
04:55 dalek parrot: r39701 | japhb++ | trunk (2 files):
04:55 dalek parrot: [OpenGL] Math: Macro tweaks; first vec-num binop; vec.normalize; refactor example
04:55 dalek parrot: * OpenGL/Math.pir:
04:55 dalek parrot:   + Rename vec-vec binop param extraction macros
04:55 dalek parrot:   + Add vec-num binop param extraction macros
04:55 dalek parrot:   + Add first vec-num binop (div_num, name subject to change)
04:55 dalek parrot:   + Add vector.normalize()
04:55 dalek parrot: * math.pir example:
04:55 dalek parrot:   + Refactor
04:55 dalek parrot:   + Improve output slightly
04:55 dalek parrot:   + Add vector.normalize() test
04:55 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39701/
04:59 dalek parrot: r39702 | japhb++ | trunk/runtime/parrot/library/OpenGL/Math.pir:
04:59 dalek parrot: [OpenGL] Math.pir: Indentation fixes
04:59 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39702/
05:02 dalek parrot: r39703 | japhb++ | trunk/runtime/parrot/library/OpenGL:
05:02 dalek parrot: [OpenGL] Ignore *.pbc in runtime/parrot/library/OpenGL/
05:02 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39703/
05:04 * japhb takes the lead in tonight's commits ... ;-)
05:09 dalek parrot: r39704 | petdance++ | trunk/include/parrot/sub.h:
05:09 dalek parrot: hoisting a variable reference in a macro
05:09 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39704/
05:41 flh joined #parrot
05:41 Theory joined #parrot
05:55 jsut_ joined #parrot
06:01 Zak joined #parrot
06:13 uniejo joined #parrot
06:25 magnachef joined #parrot
06:39 mikehh joined #parrot
06:40 mikehh \query purl
06:42 mikehh joined #parrot
07:03 viklund_ joined #parrot
07:03 iblechbot joined #parrot
07:17 baest joined #parrot
07:21 donaldh joined #parrot
07:25 dalek parrot: r39705 | fperrad++ | trunk (2 files):
07:25 dalek parrot: [codingstd] fix SVN properties
07:25 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39705/
07:52 barney joined #parrot
08:05 masak joined #parrot
09:55 bacek_ joined #parrot
10:07 bacek__ joined #parrot
10:28 gaz joined #parrot
10:42 Whiteknight joined #parrot
10:45 AndyA joined #parrot
11:10 Whiteknight good morning
11:10 purl Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and all they say is 'Good Morning'
11:10 guru joined #parrot
11:11 bacek_ o hai, Whiteknight. Did you wash your car already? :)
11:11 Whiteknight no washing!
11:13 bacek_ Imagine shiny washed car! It's beautiful :)
11:19 bacek_ *incoming*
11:19 * bacek_ hides
11:20 Infinoid It rains so much here, I'm not sure I will ever have to wash my car by hand
11:21 Infinoid It's a feature, not a bug.
11:22 donaldh joined #parrot
11:22 dalek parrot: r39706 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/src/pmc/hash.pmc:
11:22 bacek_ Infinoid: do you have unit tests for them? Otherwise it's definitely bug!
11:22 dalek parrot: [pmc] Partially inplement ad-hoc polymorphism for Hash keys and values.
11:22 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39706/
11:22 dalek parrot: r39707 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/src/pmc/hash.pmc:
11:22 dalek parrot: [pmc] Drop Hash.make_hash_key function in favour of hash_key_from_* which respects Hash's keys type.
11:22 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39707/
11:22 dalek parrot: r39708 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/t/pmc/hash.t:
11:22 dalek parrot: [t] Add more for Hash keys conversions.
11:22 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39708/
11:25 dalek parrot: r39709 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp (3 files):
11:25 dalek parrot: [core] Hash key can be null in case of INTVAL keys
11:25 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39709/
11:25 dalek parrot: r39710 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/t/native_pbc (4 files):
11:25 dalek parrot: [t] Rebuild native PBCs.
11:25 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39710/
11:28 Whiteknight bacek++ # some good work!
11:28 Whiteknight okay, time for me to get ready
11:44 s1n_yapc joined #parrot
11:46 burmas joined #parrot
11:48 Whiteknight joined #parrot
11:48 Whiteknight cotto: ping
11:49 Whiteknight nevermind
12:09 dalek parrot: r39711 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/src/pmc/hash.pmc:
12:09 dalek parrot: [pmc] Drop Hash.make_ro_hash_key in favour of Hash.hash_key_from_*.
12:09 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39711/
12:14 bacek__ joined #parrot
12:16 * Coke_afk
12:16 dalek parrot: r39712 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/src/pmc/hash.pmc:
12:16 dalek parrot: [pmc] Properly handle NULLs from VTABLE_get_string to use as keys.
12:16 dalek parrot: Which mean - throw an exception and get out of here!
12:16 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39712/
12:33 Whiteknight joined #parrot
12:39 dalek parrot: r39713 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/s​rc/pmc/hashiteratorkey.pmc:
12:40 dalek parrot: [pmc] Support stringification of PMC keys in HashInteratorKey.
12:40 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39713/
12:40 dalek parrot: r39714 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/t/op/gc.t:
12:40 dalek parrot: [t] Fix t/op/gc.t to not rely on Hash keys order.
12:40 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39714/
12:49 bacek__ Does anyone have clean view about OrderedHash's contract in parrot?
12:49 Andy joined #parrot
12:49 cotto It's like a hash, but ordered.
12:50 bacek__ hash['a'] = 'foo'; hash['b'] = 'bar'; hash['a'] = 'baz'
12:50 bacek__ order of keys in "iter hash" is ..."
12:50 bacek__ ?
12:51 cotto a b
12:51 bacek__ hash['a'] = 'foo'; hash['b'] = 'bar'; hash['a'] = 'baz'
12:51 cotto iirc
12:51 bacek__ hash[1] is ...?
12:51 bacek__ complexity of "hash[1]" is ...?
12:51 cotto b, also iirc
12:52 cotto I definitely don't know that without looking.
12:52 cotto I'd assume O(1).
12:52 Coke goff?
12:52 purl goff is one of them freaks wot wear black
12:52 Coke jeff goff?
12:52 bacek__ I can figure out "current contract" from sources. But it's look ugly...
12:53 Coke Did you already float the balloon of "this doesn't belong in core?" =-)
12:54 bacek__ Coke: not actually... It's heavily used for non-core PMCs "dictionary". And spreaded over all sources...
12:54 Coke fwiw, tcl uses its own (half implemented) dictionary PMC.
12:54 kid51 joined #parrot
12:54 Coke well, just before a supported release is an excellent time to ask the question.
12:55 bacek__ something like this :)
12:56 cotto I remember looking at that when I was implementing PHP-style arrays, but it didn't dtrt except superficially.
12:57 s1n_yapc joined #parrot
12:57 bacek__ cotto: I know how OrderHash behave now... I just want to know expected behaviour.
12:58 bacek__ hash['a'] = 'foo'; hash['b'] = 'bar'; hash['a'] = 'baz'; hash['c'] = 'blah'; delete hash['b']
12:58 bacek__ hash[1] is ... ?
12:58 Coke bacek__: expected behavior is probably just "how it acts now."
12:58 Coke bacek__: Do not assume it was added with great purpose aforethought.
12:59 * bacek__ wearing hat of bloody system architect.
12:59 bacek__ If "hash" is "Hash" than "hash[42]" is equals to "hash['42']"
13:00 bacek__ If "hash" is "OrderedHash" it's not.
13:00 bacek__ But "OrderedHash" claims to be "is-a Hash".
13:00 gryphon joined #parrot
13:00 Coke yes, but it's not reasonable to expect that all behavior of a subclass is the same as its parent.
13:00 Coke else why subclass?
13:00 bacek__ LSP
13:01 Coke lsp?
13:01 Coke least surprise?
13:01 Topic for #parrotis now Parrot 1.3.0 "Andean Swift" released | http://parrot.org
13:01 Coke one man's surprise is another's happy coincidence.
13:01 Coke a better question is "why do we even HAVE that pmc?"
13:01 bacek__ lsp is Liskov Substitution Principle
13:02 Coke which has a handwaving "desirable properties"
13:02 Coke perhaps key-equivalence across types is not a desirable property.
13:03 Coke but, at a guess:
13:03 bacek__ Than "OrderedHash" shouldn't declare it self "is-a Hash"
13:03 Coke *sigh*
13:03 Coke it depends on how important you think that particular item is.
13:04 Coke but again, better questions involve: "why do hash keys work that way in the first place?" "why do we have an orderedhash implementation in core?"
13:04 * bacek__ will kill for clean and transparent design.
13:04 Coke I suspect that none of the hash stuff was 'designed'.
13:04 Coke more slapped into place until someone had time to design it.
13:05 dalek parrot: r39715 | cotto++ | branches/pmc_pct/compilers/pmcc (5 files):
13:05 dalek parrot: [pmcc] add some initial code to generate ro variant vtables
13:05 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39715/
13:05 bacek__ Coke: Part of "hash stuff" was designed. And "redisigned" in keys_revamp branch :)
13:06 Coke bacek__: having been with the project since 2001, If the design happened, I'm fairly certain most of it happened off list and therefore doesn't coutn.
13:06 bacek__ That's why I'm trying to grok OrderedHash before break it
13:07 dalek rakudo: 6eb3554 | pmichaud++ | docs/spectest-progress.csv:
13:07 dalek rakudo: spectest-progress.csv update: 404 files, 11532 passing, 4 failing
13:07 dalek rakudo: Failure summary:
13:07 dalek rakudo:     S12-enums/basic.rakudo 27 - short name of the enum without parenthesis is an enum
13:07 dalek rakudo:     S32-num/rand.t aborted 3 test(s)
13:07 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/6​eb35549ec9fe7d507ba042c64d315fb0156e93b
13:08 bacek__ "404 files" == "no files found" :)
13:08 cotto that's what tests are for
13:12 bacek__ "they are failing" :)
13:12 cotto oic
13:13 bacek__ "oic"?
13:14 burmas left #parrot
13:14 moritz oh I see
13:14 bacek__ Ah. Oh I see now :)
13:17 Coke oic is oh I see.
13:17 kid51 Shall we have Parrot BOF at 5:00 pm today?
13:18 kid51 ... those of you at YAPC::NA
13:18 cotto kid51, works for me
13:19 dalek rakudo: 0677565 | moritz++ | tools/progress-graph.pl:
13:19 dalek rakudo: [tools/progress-graph.pl] better label spacing
13:19 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/0​677565135d00bd037b0c1306fe696b079c036c8
13:19 kid51 I'll duck out after rdice talk and try to reserve room
13:24 skids joined #parrot
13:27 cotto Whiteknight, having fun?
13:30 Whiteknight joined #parrot
13:32 dalek parrot: r39716 | cotto++ | branches/pmc_pct/compilers (5 files):
13:32 dalek parrot: [vtdumper] make vtable dump easier to use and fix some trailing spaces
13:32 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39716/
13:34 kgilmer joined #parrot
13:41 bacek__ joined #parrot
13:57 PacoLinux joined #parrot
13:59 amuck_ joined #parrot
14:06 Coke . o O (you said dumper.)
14:12 iblechbot joined #parrot
14:13 magnachef joined #parrot
14:16 Whiteknight Coke: rdice mentioned you in his presentation just now
14:17 dalek TT #783 created by coke++: anon noop subs leak memory.
14:18 pmichaud joined #parrot
14:18 * Whiteknight hates memory eaks
14:18 Whiteknight MURDERLIZE THEM!
14:18 Whiteknight Also, I would like it if dalek posted a link to new tickets that get posted
14:21 Andy joined #parrot
14:24 kid51 joined #parrot
14:27 donaldh left #parrot
14:29 Andy I am so happy.
14:29 Andy Hooray for splint.
14:29 Andy Hooray for me having been able to find a bug even though I don't understand Parrot at all.
14:31 Whiteknight Andy: are you at YAPC?
14:34 Coke Whiteknight: dear god, why?
14:34 purl dear god, why are people so stupid?
14:34 Coke purl++
14:34 Whiteknight Coke: rdice was talking about the grants committee
14:34 Coke ah, those (*#&$ slackers.
14:35 Andy Whiteknight: No, why?
14:36 Whiteknight Andy: because YAPC is where the party is
14:36 Andy Ain't no party like a Pittsburgh party
14:39 ruoso joined #parrot
14:42 Austin_Hastings joined #parrot
14:52 bkuhn joined #parrot
14:55 cotto Whiteknight, having fun?
14:55 Coke yay, if I try to add a proxy class for my string PMC, I get a segfault. do it for int? get an MMD dispatch failure.
14:57 Coke a multi of Integer matches my PMC which subclasses Integer, but not a pir class that subclasses that pmc. trying again with the specific subclass as the target instead of the (more correct, more generic) Integer.
14:57 Whiteknight trying
14:58 Whiteknight Coke: now you're just making problems up
14:58 Coke whoops. different multi issue. subtract (which I wasn't even overriding) is failing.
14:59 Coke <sigh>
15:08 hpp joined #parrot
15:11 hildo joined #parrot
15:13 Coke Whiteknight: my made up problem is at TT#784.
15:13 Coke (managed to duplicate it even sans a PMC0
15:14 Whiteknight oh nice
15:15 dalek TT #784 created by coke++: subclassing breaks multi dispatch
15:16 Whiteknight subclasses are just b0rked all the way around
15:18 dalek parrot: r39717 | jkeenan++ | branches/pdd30_install:
15:18 dalek parrot: Branch no longer needed at head, per discussion in
15:18 dalek parrot: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/734.
15:18 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39717/
15:20 Whiteknight yay! deleting branches is fun!
15:21 dalek parrot: r39718 | whiteknight++ | branches/nci:
15:21 dalek parrot: removing this old branch, per discussion on mailing list
15:21 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39718/
15:21 donaldh joined #parrot
15:25 dalek parrot: r39719 | petdance++ | trunk/compilers/imcc (3 files):
15:25 dalek parrot: removed unused arguments from static functions. Changed many ARGIN() to ARGMOD() to reflect reality.
15:25 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39719/
15:25 Whiteknight reality--
15:26 cotto karma reality
15:26 purl reality has karma of -2
15:26 Whiteknight okay good, I'm not alone
15:34 Austin_Hastings PMichaud, are you on?
15:42 Theory joined #parrot
15:52 darbelo joined #parrot
15:52 dalek parrot: r39720 | coke++ | trunk/tools/dev/branch_status.pl:
15:52 dalek parrot: don't show a list of authors if it's just the creator.
15:52 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39720/
15:52 dalek tracwiki: v20 | coke++ | BranchDescriptions
15:52 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/Branc​hDescriptions?version=20&amp;action=diff
15:54 kid51 joined #parrot
15:57 Topic for #parrotis now Parrot 1.3.0 "Andean Swift" released | http://parrot.org | YAPC10 Parrot Implementers BOF:  Dowd Room, 2nd floor, 5:00 pm
16:12 ilia joined #parrot
16:13 Psyche^ joined #parrot
16:17 flh joined #parrot
16:18 hildo joined #parrot
16:26 donaldh left #parrot
16:50 kid51 joined #parrot
16:59 Austin_Hastings joined #parrot
17:00 hildo joined #parrot
17:02 Whiteknight joined #parrot
17:02 cotto joined #parrot
17:03 s1n_yapc joined #parrot
17:07 Austin_Hastings left #parrot
17:07 Austin_Hastings joined #parrot
17:12 petdance joined #parrot
17:13 eternaleye joined #parrot
17:14 mjf joined #parrot
17:15 dalek rakudo: 10f2235 | moritz++ | t/harness:
17:15 dalek rakudo: [t/harness] honour TEST_JOBS environment variable
17:15 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/1​0f2235028194deddf3db350b5a4a5208484ac09
17:16 ilia joined #parrot
17:20 dpwalia joined #parrot
17:20 flh joined #parrot
17:30 hildo left #parrot
17:34 * Coke cries as everyone who can fix his bugs is either asleep or at the con!
17:39 Whiteknight joined #parrot
17:44 dalek partcl: r511 | coke++ | branches/tclint:
17:44 dalek partcl: try to PIR-ify another PMC. (This time, tclint.)
17:44 dalek partcl: review: http://code.google.com/p/p​artcl/source/detail?r=511
17:44 dalek partcl: r512 | coke++ | branches/tclint/ (6 files):
17:44 dalek partcl: First pass at putting a PIR proxy in front of our PMC integer type.
17:44 dalek partcl: Turns out this breaks Integer MMD subtraction[1], See TT #784.
17:44 dalek partcl: review: http://code.google.com/p/p​artcl/source/detail?r=512
17:47 Coke I know have /3/ stalled branches!
17:47 Coke s/know/now/
17:52 dpwalia left #parrot
17:56 magnachef joined #parrot
18:06 rdice joined #parrot
18:09 slavorg joined #parrot
18:11 Coke rdice: I hear you took my name in vain today!
18:11 rdice eh?
18:11 rdice because I ordered pepsi with lunch?
18:11 Coke no, I hear tell I was in a presentation of yours.
18:11 rdice I had a slide in which the names of the GC members were listed.
18:12 Coke that's the sort of slander that really gets me going.
18:12 Coke how's the con?
18:12 rdice But I didn't read through them, and about all I said was "these are the GC members, they're all respected members of the community and they work really hard on GC stuff, so many props to them."
18:12 Coke Whiteknight: looks like gut_registry can be removed.
18:12 rdice Yes, very slanderous. :-)
18:12 Coke rdice: it's certainly untrue, anyway!
18:12 rdice Indeed.
18:12 rdice It's okay so far, but it's just starting up.
18:13 rdice but I fear I'm developing a cold :-(
18:13 rdice con crud.  it happens.
18:13 Whiteknight Coke: whose branch is that ayway?
18:14 Coke https://trac.parrot.org/par​rot/wiki/BranchDescriptions - created by tewk last december. never committed to.
18:14 Coke (just once on creation)
18:15 Whiteknight okay, let me check it out
18:16 kid51 seen tewk?
18:16 purl tewk was last seen on #parrot 9 days, 17 hours, 10 minutes and 59 seconds ago, saying: ]\'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''y'y']'6y']]']]]  [Jun 13 01:00:55 2009]
18:17 Coke seems trivial to delete; more work to merge in trunk than it is to delete it and recreate it.
18:19 Coke you can kill the new_from_string branch; if that starts up again, it's easier to do from scratch.
18:19 Coke (that one was mine.)
18:19 Coke in fact, I'll kill it.
18:20 dalek parrot: r39721 | whiteknight++ | branches/gut_registry:
18:20 dalek parrot: remove a branch that's never been committed to and should just be restarted at this point since it's so old
18:20 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39721/
18:20 Whiteknight beat you to it
18:20 Whiteknight good old tewk's cat
18:22 Coke no, I was going to remove "new_from_string", which I just did.
18:23 Coke looks like the nature of the ticket was changed, but the branch was never removed even after the ticket was closed.
18:23 dalek parrot: r39722 | coke++ | branches/remove_new_from_string:
18:23 dalek parrot: RT #47011 was marked as resolved (and not in the way this branch would have tried to do it, either)
18:23 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39722/
18:28 dalek tracwiki: v21 | coke++ | BranchDescriptions
18:28 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/Branc​hDescriptions?version=21&amp;action=diff
18:34 athomason joined #parrot
18:47 japhb joined #parrot
18:51 ilia joined #parrot
18:54 rdice joined #parrot
18:58 Whiteknight purl msg Infinoid I figured out the problem with that patch! I'm closing the Handle PMC without flushing the buffer first! Should be able to fix that soon, followed by some cleanups to make it all pretty and performant
18:58 purl Message for infinoid stored.
19:00 magnachef_ joined #parrot
19:00 kid51 joined #parrot
19:08 ilia joined #parrot
19:14 davidfetter joined #parrot
19:20 donaldh joined #parrot
19:23 acajou joined #parrot
19:23 acajou left #parrot
19:36 kgilmer joined #parrot
19:42 afk_coke so, converting context to PMCs - anything blocking this effort now aside from time?
19:52 ilia joined #parrot
19:52 kid51 joined #parrot
19:53 Austin_Hastings joined #parrot
19:57 Coke Whiteknight: you still eager for #596?
19:59 Whiteknight which one is that?
19:59 * Whiteknight goes to look
20:00 Whiteknight yeah, definitely
20:00 Coke I'd like to get that done before 1.4
20:00 Whiteknight I was waiting for the pcc_rewiring branch to land first though
20:00 Coke I don't think that's going to happen soon. =-)
20:00 Whiteknight I don't want to do a second big pcc-related refactor while that one is ongoing
20:01 Coke there is something to be said for "whoever commits to trunk first wins." - what do you think is going to overlap?
20:02 Whiteknight It's not about winning, I don't want to screw other developers just so my code can get in first
20:03 Coke which brings me to my "what do you think is going to overlap?"
20:03 Whiteknight I think the register handling code is going to overlap
20:03 Coke do you have a good sense of what pcc_rewiring is blocking on?
20:03 Whiteknight how huge a necessity is #596 for you?
20:04 Whiteknight pcc_rewiring is having a bug where arguments aren't being properly passed from C->PIR
20:04 Coke and any idea how much more work is pending after that one bug is fixed?
20:05 Whiteknight I'm not sure entirely. chromatic is the current lead on that branch if I understand correctly
20:05 Coke (it's not a huge priority; I'm just trying to make an impact where I can; partcl's performance is so completely hideous, this seemed like a good win.)
20:05 Coke I thought it was allison.
20:05 Whiteknight see, I'm not entirely sure. I know she wrote most of it, but I think she handed it off to chromatic
20:05 Coke There seems to be no ticket for that branch?
20:05 Whiteknight nope
20:06 cotto There's not much beside a branch that doesn't build.
20:08 Whiteknight i have some IO work in the air right now that I need to finish first, but I could start digging into that branch if you thought it was important
20:09 Coke Whiteknight: <shrug> I may go ahead and take a stab at contexts in a branch.
20:10 Whiteknight that's fine, I'd be glad to help also
20:10 Whiteknight I just am hesitant to make things worse for that beleaguered branch
20:11 Whiteknight I could give you some notes I've been compiling if you're interested
20:12 Coke I am hesitant to sit around and wait. =-)
20:12 Tene Whiteknight: any idea when :vtable('invoke') might get fixed?
20:12 Whiteknight Tene: that's definitely blocking on pcc_rewiring
20:12 Whiteknight so, shortly after that branch lands
20:12 Coke Whiteknight: another way to think about: I'm not sure we can make things any worse for that branch than they already are. =-)
20:12 Tene Whiteknight: Great. :)
20:13 Coke Whiteknight: I pinged chromatic & allison to open a ticket with what's left to do on that branch.
20:13 Whiteknight good, I'm tired of nagging them about it myself :)
20:17 Whiteknight i could talk to chromatic today when I see him next
20:18 Whiteknight see what he has to say about the contexts thing
20:18 Whiteknight if he gives me the greenlight, I'll be happy to jump into it
20:19 Whiteknight (after my IO work stabilizes first, of course)
20:23 ilia joined #parrot
20:28 ilia_ joined #parrot
20:36 Austin_Hastings1 joined #parrot
20:38 mhm joined #parrot
20:41 Whiteknight we have a Parrot BOF happening here in about 20minutes
20:42 cotto but feel free to show up now
20:45 dalek parrot: r39723 | coke++ | branches/context_pmc:
20:46 dalek parrot: Work for TT #596 - GC'able contexts. (aka: convert contexts to PMCs)
20:46 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39723/
20:46 dalek parrot: r39724 | NotFound++ | trunk/compilers/imcc/pbc.c:
20:46 dalek parrot: [imcc] catch the segfault in TT #756
20:46 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39724/
20:47 jan joined #parrot
21:04 kid51 joined #parrot
21:09 magnachef__ joined #parrot
21:15 kid51 "Coke's not here so we can put that down." -- chromatic
21:24 kid51 The Parrot Roadmap:  https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/report/14
21:26 magnachef joined #parrot
21:32 Whiteknight also https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/roadmap
21:38 dalek decnum-dynpmcs: r87 | darbelo++ | trunk/ (5 files):
21:38 dalek decnum-dynpmcs: Add *a lot* of automatically translated tests for +, -, * and /. Not all of them
21:38 dalek decnum-dynpmcs: pass. The translator script is included.
21:38 dalek decnum-dynpmcs: review: http://code.google.com/p/decn​um-dynpmcs/source/detail?r=87
21:40 dalek parrot: r39725 | NotFound++ | trunk/compilers/imcc/pcc.c:
21:40 dalek parrot: [imcc] catch the segfault in TT #737
21:40 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39725/
21:43 hildo joined #parrot
21:52 bacek_ joined #parrot
21:54 hildo left #parrot
22:04 nopaste "tene" at 24.10.252.130 pasted "OpenGL FAIL for japhb++" (7 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/17001
22:05 Infinoid How goes it in parrot land?
22:10 nopaste "japhb" at 208.201.228.107 pasted "Tene: list of packages Debian knows about that depend on freeglut" (48 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/17002
22:11 guru joined #parrot
22:12 moritz japhb: clang + parrot + opengl = segfault
22:12 japhb wheee
22:13 japhb --jitcapable=0 ?
22:13 moritz japhb: i'll try that next
22:14 contingencyplan joined #parrot
22:14 Tene japhb: adanaxisgpl works fine
22:15 japhb Tene: confirmed that it is depending on glut in Fedora?
22:16 Tene libglut.so.3()(64bit)
22:16 japhb sigh
22:16 * japhb wonders what the heck could be going wrong
22:17 japhb I wonder if it's because I'm using Old Skool GLUT startup, rather than Game Mode GLUT
22:17 japhb does adanaxisgpl go full-screen?
22:17 Tene yes
22:17 japhb ah!
22:17 japhb We need to find a *windowed* glut app
22:18 moritz japhb: still segfaults with --jitcapable=0
22:18 japhb :-(
22:19 japhb Just when I had everything working copacetic, the two of you manage to throw a wrench in the works again.  ;-)
22:19 moritz ah well. I'm impressed that parrot compiles with it at all
22:20 japhb Well, if Apple is going to start making it their core compiler, it's going to have to get up to snuff in a hurry.
22:20 japhb ISTR that OpenBSD is considering the switch as well.
22:21 moritz well, it did improve quite nicely, and the feedback from the apple people was prompt.
22:25 Whiteknight Coke: thanks for the email
22:27 Tene japhb: think you could throw together a little C app to test?
22:27 japhb Tene: checking
22:27 purl it has been said that checking is just different
22:28 Tene pymol is windowed, and seems to be working, maybe
22:28 Tene I'm not really sure how to use it...
22:29 Tene oh, no, it works fine
22:29 Tene windowed glut
22:30 japhb bah
22:32 japhb Tene: is that the only one that fails?  In other words, do static_triangle.pir and triangle.pir work?
22:33 Tene they all fail in the same way
22:34 rg1 joined #parrot
22:35 japhb Tene: what window manager are you using?  And are you using a composite manager?
22:35 Tene metacity.  no composite manager.
22:35 Tene last time we talked about this, I enabled a composite manager to check, and it failed identically.
22:36 japhb yeah, sorry for the repeated questions.
22:36 Tene and it fails the same way with no window manager running
22:36 Tene oh, not a problem.
22:37 Tene Don't worry.  I'm just trying to be helpful. :)
22:37 japhb Are you running F10 or F11?
22:37 Tene 11
22:37 Tene It failed the same way back on F10
22:37 * japhb hasn't updated yet ... but as you point out, that's invariant
22:38 Coke hurm. on feather, I removed a function, rebuilt, ran make test, and had a bunch of tests complain about what I think is the installed library of parrot.
22:38 Coke is there a way to forcefully exclude the installed version of parrot on a linux box when running parrot out of the build dir?
22:39 Coke (hurm. I don't think it's parrot, I think it's anything that is linking against parrot itself in the tests.
22:39 Coke agianst parrot-lib, that is.
22:39 japhb My Fedora fu is weak -- what is the equivalent of 'apt-get source'?  (i.e. get the source package)
22:39 Tene http://download.fedora.redhat.com/ afaict
22:39 japhb oh, ew
22:39 NotFound joined #parrot
22:39 Tene I know yum has *something* about source packages.
22:40 Tene I never figured it out.
22:40 Tene Lemme go check
22:40 moritz bah, somebody installed parrot on feather without building a deb packages first.
22:40 moritz $somebody--
22:40 * moritz is tempted to run a 'locate parrot|grep -v home|xargs rm'
22:41 Tene japhb: yum install yum-utils; yumdownloader --source foo
22:41 japhb Tene: thanks
22:42 Tene japhb: helps me quite a bit too, fwiw.
22:46 japhb EWWW ... this package contains all the .svn directories in the tarball!  BLEAH.
22:46 Tene o.O ew
22:48 Coke who is the package maintainer?
22:49 japhb 'Tim Fenn <fenn@stanford.edu>'
22:51 Coke I have never heard of this guy.
22:51 Coke fenn?
22:51 Coke tim fenn?
22:51 Tene Coke: it's not a Parrot package.
22:51 bacek_ good morning #parrot
22:51 Tene bacek_: I typo'd "back" as "bacek" about 10 minutes ago and thought of you before correcting it.
22:52 Coke Tene: that would 'splain it.
22:52 bacek_ Tene: :)
22:52 japhb Coke: You may misunderstand ... it's not a package of Parrot.  It's pymol, the thing Tene is using to show that GLUT isn't a total fail on his system.
22:53 Coke japhb: tene just said that it wasn't parrot. =-)
22:54 Coke so, anyone know how to exclude the standard ld library config paths on linux?
22:56 japhb Coke: I'm heavily multitasking, my apologies for the repeat.
23:01 Coke bah. I'm getting the error loading libparrot.so.1.2.0 on linux even with trunk, so it's not me.
23:03 japhb Oh jehosephat ... Why is it that whenever I have to go spelunking through source code, it's always been written by someone with a surplus of time, a lack of sense, and a deep hunger for copy pasta?
23:10 patspam joined #parrot
23:15 Infinoid Are there any portability issues with using isatty() in src/io/unix.c?
23:15 Infinoid My manpage says it conforms to SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001.
23:17 dalek tracwiki: v1 | cotto++ | Yapc10Bof
23:17 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/​Yapc10Bof?version=1&amp;action=diff
23:17 dalek tracwiki: cotto++ | Photo_061909_001.jpg attached to Yapc10Bof
23:17 dalek tracwiki: part 1 of notes from meeting
23:17 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/attachment/wiki/​Yapc10Bof/Photo_061909_001.jpg&amp;action=diff
23:20 dalek tracwiki: cotto++ | Photo_062209_001.jpg attached to Yapc10Bof
23:20 dalek tracwiki: part 1 from meeting notes
23:20 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/attachment/wiki/​Yapc10Bof/Photo_062209_001.jpg&amp;action=diff
23:20 dalek tracwiki: cotto++ | Photo_062209_002.jpg attached to Yapc10Bof
23:20 dalek tracwiki: part 1 from  meeting notes
23:20 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/attachment/wiki/​Yapc10Bof/Photo_062209_002.jpg&amp;action=diff
23:20 dalek tracwiki: cotto++ | Photo_062209_003.jpg attached to Yapc10Bof
23:20 dalek tracwiki: part 3 from meeting notes
23:20 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/attachment/wiki/​Yapc10Bof/Photo_062209_003.jpg&amp;action=diff
23:20 dalek tracwiki: cotto++ | Photo_062209_004.jpg attached to Yapc10Bof
23:20 davidfetter joined #parrot
23:20 dalek tracwiki: part 4 from meeting notes
23:20 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/attachment/wiki/​Yapc10Bof/Photo_062209_004.jpg&amp;action=diff
23:22 bacek_ cotto++
23:22 dalek parrot: r39726 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/src/pmc/hash.pmc:
23:22 dalek parrot: [pmc] Split Hash.get_integer_keyed to few MULTI function for localising Key usage.
23:22 dalek parrot: Also use Key.shift_pmc directly instead of C<key_next> because all checks already done.
23:22 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39726/
23:22 dalek parrot: r39727 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp​/src/pmc/orderedhash.pmc:
23:22 dalek parrot: [pmc] Manually replace SUPER(key) with vtable call.
23:22 dalek parrot: pmc2c isn't smart enought to handle auto-generated VTABLE methods...
23:22 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39727/
23:23 dalek tracwiki: cotto++ | Photo_062209_005.jpg attached to Yapc10Bof
23:23 dalek tracwiki: part 5 from meeting notes
23:23 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/attachment/wiki/​Yapc10Bof/Photo_062209_005.jpg&amp;action=diff
23:23 dalek tracwiki: cotto++ | Photo_062209_006.jpg attached to Yapc10Bof
23:23 dalek tracwiki: group picture
23:23 dalek tracwiki: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/attachment/wiki/​Yapc10Bof/Photo_062209_006.jpg&amp;action=diff
23:26 japhb Tene: what do you get from: rpm -qa |grep -- '-devel' |grep -i gl
23:28 japhb On this F10 system with an ATI card in it (and proprietary drivers), I get no failures, but it's pretty slow.  If I didn't see the ATI vendor info in glxinfo, I'd assume it was doing software rendering.  Sheesh.
23:35 Infinoid I think I can speed up I/O some more, by turning on line buffering on stdout by default
23:47 bacek_ pmc2c-- # *sigh*
23:48 dalek parrot: r39728 | bacek++ | branches/tt761_keys_revamp/src/pmc/hash.pmc:
23:48 dalek parrot: [pmc] Add little bit of docs to Hash.
23:48 dalek parrot: review: https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/39728/
23:53 mikehh cotto: how about some labelling of the group picture?
23:54 mikehh I recognise some of the participants, but not all
23:54 skids joined #parrot
23:54 Infinoid ENOCOTTO
23:55 * bacek_ recognised only one - pm
23:55 Infinoid pm is bottom row, #3, right?
23:55 mikehh I've seen his piccy elsewhere
23:56 Infinoid particle is bottom row, #4
23:56 Infinoid whiteknight is top row, #4
23:56 bacek_ Infinoid: (pm) correct
23:56 Infinoid cool.  I haven't met him in person (yet)
23:57 bacek_ Me too.
23:57 bacek_ And it's not very likely that I can meet anyone in person in some near future.
23:58 bacek_ EFARFARAWAY
23:58 Theory joined #parrot
23:59 Infinoid top row #3 bears a striking resemblance to http://identi.ca/chromatic?page=2
23:59 Infinoid sorry to everyone else I've missed; I'm really bad at this stuff :)

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Parrot | source cross referenced