Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #parrot, 2010-05-20

Parrot | source cross referenced

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 theory joined #parrot
00:02 ash_ joined #parrot
00:03 darbelo Agh, forgot one commit.
00:03 dalek parrot: r46805 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding/src/string/encoding/ucs4.c:
00:03 dalek parrot: Fix typos that got lost in the git-svn merge.
00:03 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46805/
00:03 darbelo git-svn--; me--
00:20 dalek parrot: r46806 | darbelo++ | trunk/src/string/api.c:
00:20 dalek parrot: [CAGE] remove a space to make codetest happy.
00:20 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46806/
00:21 Whiteknight joined #parrot
00:23 darbelo I guess I'll need some tests now.
00:24 Coke msg tcurtis nope , doesn't look like it. have your mentor ping a trac admin. (me, whiteknight, half dozen others)
00:25 purl Message for tcurtis stored.
00:25 Whiteknight who is tcurtis' mentor, c?
00:26 darbelo I think he was chromatic's student.
00:27 darbelo Somebody should probbaly add the mentor-stutent pairs to the wiki.
00:27 chromatic joined #parrot
00:28 darbelo Where 'Somebody' == 'Not me'
00:28 chromatic If someone wants to flip the commit but for tcurtis, go ahead.
00:28 seatek joined #parrot
00:32 chromatic Or I can just have done it.
00:32 * chromatic is having had much use out of the time traveler's verb guide he has yet to have purchasing.
00:33 chromatic msg tcurtis Welcome to your Parrot commit bit!  Don't break the build.  Increase the awesome.  Ask me or any other committer if you have questions.
00:33 purl Message for tcurtis stored.
00:33 Mokurai1 joined #parrot
00:45 Whiteknight ash_: ping
00:53 dalek parrot: r46807 | darbelo++ | trunk/MANIFEST:
00:53 dalek parrot: Regenerate MANIFEST
00:53 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46807/
00:53 dalek parrot: r46808 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding/MANIFEST:
00:53 dalek parrot: Regenerate MANIFEST
00:53 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46808/
00:59 abqar joined #parrot
01:00 Andy joined #parrot
01:30 plobsing joined #parrot
01:33 tcurtis joined #parrot
01:34 mikehh_ joined #parrot
02:08 snarkyboojum joined #parrot
02:28 plobsing seen ash?
02:28 purl ash was last seen on #moose 7 hours, 46 minutes and 30 seconds ago, saying: test failure = testing that i get a nicer error for a certain case
02:34 dalek parrot: r46809 | plobsing++ | trunk/src/dynoplibs/deprecated.ops:
02:34 dalek parrot: flag deprecated dynops as :deprecated
02:34 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46809/
02:34 dalek parrot: r46810 | plobsing++ | trunk (2 files):
02:34 dalek parrot: svn props
02:34 purl svn props are the worst
02:35 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46810/
02:35 dalek parrot: r46811 | plobsing++ | branches/ops_massacre:
02:35 dalek parrot: branch to kill (move to dynlibs) several ops per TT #449
02:35 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46811/
02:37 JimmyZ joined #parrot
02:43 cotto darbelo would approve
03:07 janus joined #parrot
03:20 * Coke sleepy.
03:25 * cotto stupid
03:36 LoganLK joined #parrot
03:44 * chromatic sarcastic.
03:45 theory joined #parrot
03:55 * PerlJam ice cream
03:55 purl now that's what i call a "sticky situation"! or the Supreme Dessert
03:56 * plobsing confused
03:56 purl You won't be after this episode of Soap!
04:19 snarkyboojum joined #parrot
05:00 dalek rakudo: 8292d45 | (Solomon Foster)++ | src/core/Numeric.pm:
05:00 dalek rakudo: Add stub for Numeric.roots.
05:00 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/8​292d45b4db1a215470c7ce5375dee3fe477a81d
05:10 skv joined #parrot
05:24 khairul joined #parrot
05:26 theory_ joined #parrot
05:43 parthm joined #parrot
05:53 Khisanth joined #parrot
05:59 dalek parrot: r46812 | tcurtis++ | branches/gsoc_past_optimization:
05:59 dalek parrot: Creating a branch for my GSoC PAST optimization project.
05:59 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46812/
06:03 uniejo joined #parrot
06:04 aukjan joined #parrot
06:08 parthm left #parrot
06:14 uniejo joined #parrot
06:29 eternaleye joined #parrot
06:32 chromatic joined #parrot
06:56 iblechbot joined #parrot
07:14 fperrad joined #parrot
07:23 fperrad_ joined #parrot
07:25 dalek parrot: r46813 | plobsing++ | branches/ops_massacre (21 files):
07:25 dalek parrot: move transcendental ops to dynops
07:25 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46813/
07:34 skv_ joined #parrot
07:43 dalek parrot: r46814 | plobsing++ | branches/ops_massacre (8 files):
07:43 dalek parrot: move cmod to dynop
07:43 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46814/
07:45 TiMBuS joined #parrot
08:02 dalek parrot: r46815 | fperrad++ | trunk/lib/Parrot/Test/Pod.pm:
08:02 dalek parrot: output a valid TAP comment
08:02 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46815/
08:23 dalek tracwiki: v133 | bacek++ | Languages
08:23 dalek tracwiki: fix typo in url
08:23 dalek tracwiki: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/L​anguages?version=133&action=diff
08:24 bacek aloha
08:26 moritz good morning, codingrobot
08:28 mj41_ joined #parrot
08:37 GeJ Good morning everyone.
08:38 bacek moritz, heya
08:38 bacek moritz, is "too eager materialization of lists" known issue in Rakudo?
08:39 bacek e.g. ".say for 1_000_000"
08:39 moritz bacek: 'for' is known to be eager, yes
08:39 bacek moritz, any workarounds?
08:39 moritz bacek: map
08:39 bacek moritz, ok, thanks!
08:41 moritz bacek: void/sink context isn't detected yet in rakudo, so you have to explicitly use the return value of .map if you want anything to happen, or call .eager on it
08:42 bacek moritz, ah. got it
09:10 integral joined #parrot
09:21 parthm joined #parrot
09:41 mikehh joined #parrot
09:59 clinton joined #parrot
10:36 bacek seen cotto
10:36 purl cotto was last seen on #parrot 7 hours, 11 minutes and 4 seconds ago, saying: stupid
10:37 bacek msg cotto what is blocking on merge ops_pct?
10:37 purl Message for cotto stored.
11:07 mikehh bacek: testing ops_pct branch now
11:07 bacek mikehh, thanks!
11:10 dalek parrot: r46816 | mikehh++ | branches/ops_pct/MANIFEST:
11:10 dalek parrot: re-generate MANIFEST
11:10 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46816/
11:17 mikehh bacek: make: *** No rule to make target `ext/nqp-rx/src/stage0/nqp-setting.nqp', needed by `runtime/parrot/library/nqp-setting.pbc'. Stop.
11:18 mikehh bacek: makecorevm/make coretest PASS
11:31 bacek mikehh, did you make it from clean checkout (or at least after make realclean; perl Configure.pl)?
11:34 mikehh from make realclean - let me do a clean checkout
11:46 mikehh bacek: same story - make corevm/make coretest PASS - make world fails to build - make: *** No rule to make target `ext/nqp-rx/src/stage0/nqp-setting.nqp', needed by `runtime/parrot/library/nqp-setting.pbc'. Stop.
11:48 parthm left #parrot
11:51 bacek mikehh, gotcha... Reproduced on latest ops_pct.
11:59 whiteknight joined #parrot
12:00 bacek mikehh, interesting. nqp-setting still has .pm extension in branch
12:00 dalek rakudo: d855135 | (Solomon Foster)++ | docs/ChangeLog:
12:00 dalek rakudo: Add a few more bits to the changelog.
12:00 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/d​8551359608b47d28b309aa89e62e4d909fbf74c
12:11 whiteknight good morning, #parrot
12:11 mikehh hiya whiteknight
12:13 mikehh All tests PASS (pre/post-config, make corevm/make coretest, smoke (#33946), fulltest) at r46816 - Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 (gcc)
12:13 iblechbot joined #parrot
12:14 mikehh but g++ fails to build - ./include/parrot/exceptions.h:120: error: expected unqualified-id before string constant
12:21 bluescreen joined #parrot
12:24 whiteknight seen Austin?
12:24 purl Austin was last seen on #parrot 16 days, 6 hours, 24 minutes and 51 seconds ago, saying: http://gitorious.net/kakapo/kak​apo/blobs/master/src/Syntax.nqp  [May  4 05:59:49 2010]
12:28 theory joined #parrot
12:36 theory_ joined #parrot
12:41 bluescreen joined #parrot
12:41 ruoso joined #parrot
12:49 dalek parrot: r46817 | mikehh++ | trunk (2 files):
12:49 dalek parrot: fix headerizer - misplaced PARROT EXPORT
12:49 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46817/
12:49 whiteknight_ joined #parrot
12:56 dalek rakudo: 2e71bc8 | moritz++ | src/metamodel/Attribute.nqp:
12:56 dalek rakudo: beautified code a bit, and add comment about pir::set_vps($meth, $meth_name)
12:56 dalek rakudo: ... as requested by pmichaud++
12:56 dalek rakudo: No functional changes.
12:56 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/2​e71bc8922b92eec0a1bc86da4ecfcfc9b9ec2e0
13:00 tetragon joined #parrot
13:12 davidfetter joined #parrot
13:14 dalek rakudo: 65893e1 | (Solomon Foster)++ | docs/ (2 files):
13:14 dalek rakudo: Work on release announcements.
13:14 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/6​5893e16ee691b6b9e5fc0cfb3adff91dcd8d038
13:17 dukeleto 'ello
13:17 * dukeleto is hanging out at PGCon2010, still tweaking slides about PL/Parrot
13:18 theory joined #parrot
13:22 dukeleto bacek: nice to see pirc/pirate gettting some love
13:24 mikehh All tests PASS (pre/post-config, make corevm/make coretest, smoke (#33948), fulltest) at r46817 - Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 (g++)
13:25 mikehh hiya dukeleto
13:25 dukeleto mikehh: howdy
13:25 purl hey, dukeleto.
13:25 dalek rakudo: 9307272 | moritz++ | docs/announce/2010.05:
13:25 dalek rakudo: [announce] list contributors since last release
13:25 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/9​30727221571b2e15115742c880250ae72416383
13:25 dalek rakudo: 1c6eb2d | (Solomon Foster)++ | docs/announce/2010.05:
13:25 dalek rakudo: Incorporate jnthn++'s suggestions.
13:25 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/1​c6eb2decdf583e4b11564db898420dbd66bf826
13:31 dalek rakudo: c984346 | Coke++ | docs/announce/2010.05:
13:31 dalek rakudo: fix typo, minor formatting.
13:31 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/c​984346ef0077fb5eb46c5cf2ff3d7856678b08b
13:31 Mokurai joined #parrot
13:36 dalek rakudo: 24e28a1 | (Solomon Foster)++ | docs/ (2 files):
13:36 dalek rakudo: Some spell checking, mention Blizkost.
13:36 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/2​4e28a14875a66814233295cc1cf0a162880120d
13:48 dalek rakudo: 296a56c | (Solomon Foster)++ | docs/release_guide.pod:
13:48 dalek rakudo: Add #29 Erlangen to the release list, and mark that [Coke] has the July release.
13:48 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/2​96a56c779ee6d6aa4befc29fe6870f3d95fe142
13:52 gbacon_ joined #parrot
13:53 Andy joined #parrot
13:55 tetragon joined #parrot
14:01 theory joined #parrot
14:02 plobsing joined #parrot
14:05 tetragon joined #parrot
14:18 dukeleto msg bacek i forked your pir github repo, and I am adding some issues as I play around with it. Let me know how I can help.
14:18 purl Message for bacek stored.
14:19 davidfetter joined #parrot
14:19 dalek rakudo: 1c32466 | Coke++ | docs/release_guide.pod:
14:19 dalek rakudo: remove extra punctuation.
14:19 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/1​c32466b48349392e4e01944d5e21a6f54fccd88
14:34 dalek plparrot: 85d131f | dukeleto++ | t/sql/test.sql:
14:34 dalek plparrot: Add tests for STRICT and IMMUTABLE
14:34 dalek plparrot: review: http://github.com/leto/plparrot/commit/8​5d131fb049b7d7569960463d256f41ba083792c
14:34 iblechbot joined #parrot
14:34 whiteknight joined #parrot
14:36 dalek rakudo: 9021d4c | (Solomon Foster)++ | docs/ROADMAP:
14:36 dalek rakudo: Paradoxically update ROADMAP to note when the last real update to it was.
14:36 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/9​021d4c896c0fa0050d78a8df786d3af49ecb70f
14:45 patspam joined #parrot
14:57 theory joined #parrot
15:18 tetragon joined #parrot
15:23 bubaflub joined #parrot
15:25 cotto bacek, implementing ops renumbering is all that's left.  It should be done in the next day or two.
15:30 theory joined #parrot
15:33 gbacon joined #parrot
15:34 mikehh cotto: nqp is out of sync with trunk on ops_pct branch (and fails to build)
15:36 mikehh or rather nqp_rx branch
15:38 wagle joined #parrot
15:43 tcurtis joined #parrot
15:47 dalek TT #1650 created by dukeleto++: Parrot needs Date/DateTime Object
15:47 dalek TT #1650: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1650
16:14 dalek plparrot: 4bc41c5 | dukeleto++ |  (6 files):
16:14 dalek plparrot: Rename plparrot to plparrotu
16:14 dalek plparrot: review: http://github.com/leto/plparrot/commit/4​bc41c54467b7ea1613ec287b12ef4542c9f3f7a
16:17 mmcleric joined #parrot
16:24 ash_ joined #parrot
16:25 ash_ as a GSoC student, how would I make a blog post on the parrot page?
16:25 ash_ I made one to talk abut my work, because everyone else seems to, and I wana be cool
16:25 darbelo ash_: Do you have a parrot.org username?
16:25 ash_ but I just posted it on my blog, not the parrot one
16:25 darbelo (Not the same as trac.)
16:25 ash_ i have a trac usename, is that the same thing?
16:25 ash_ nope then
16:26 darbelo You need to create one, and the ask someone to give you the right privileges.
16:26 dalek plparrot: 88d8784 | dukeleto++ | .gitignore:
16:26 dalek plparrot: Improve .gitingore
16:26 dalek plparrot: review: http://github.com/leto/plparrot/commit/8​8d8784f558a67ed1556dc29d7bd36fd8b446d74
16:26 darbelo I think Coke is the one that ussualy does it.
16:26 Andy holy crap, I love this http://nickclifton.livejournal.com/5630.html
16:27 Andy -Wsuggest-attribute=const !!!
16:28 ash_ ping Coke
16:36 cotto_work2 joined #parrot
16:36 cotto_work2 mikehh, I had to make clean but everything looked fine after that.
16:39 darbelo Andy: You are going to const functions as well now? Nice.
16:40 Andy darbelo: I have been.
16:40 Andy are you talking about const functions or const parameters?
16:40 darbelo const functions.
16:40 Andy We already have PARROT_CONST and PARROT_PURE function annotaters
16:40 Andy ack for them.
16:40 Andy ack -A5 PARROT_CONST
16:40 darbelo Yeah, but they are a bit under used.
16:41 Andy If you find a function you think could be const but isn't, I'd love to know.
16:41 Andy I've been through every .c file there is.
16:42 darbelo Offhand, I can't think of any, but I don't ussually pay a lot of attention to annotations :)
16:43 Andy Then you might want to rethink saying that they are underused.
16:43 darbelo I know I don't use them when I should.
16:44 PerlJam It would be interesting to see what -Wsuggest-attribute=const has to say.   We'll find out how good a const'er Andy is when gcc has no suggestions  :)
16:44 Andy :-P
16:44 Andy It's not clear to me what compiler has those in it.
16:44 Andy if I have to build from a snapshot or something.
16:56 darbelo Andy: It could be added to our warings detection step, when you get a compiler that suports them they'll JFW.
16:56 Andy Yes, I know that.
16:56 Andy But it's not clear from the posting I linked to where to find them to work on them.
16:57 Andy If I have to build from a snapshot, I will, I just haven't for a while.
16:57 Andy heck, it might not even be on trunk.
16:58 darbelo Ah, ok. My guess is that it'll warn about our generated code, since that's not very annotation friendly. You seem to have taken care of everything else AFAICT.
16:59 Andy darbelo: If it complains about generated code, then we should make the annotated code use PARROT_CONST and PARROT_PURE, too.
17:00 darbelo Our code generation tools aren't smart enough to know where to use it.
17:00 Andy no, but we can also annotate.
17:00 Andy I've done it before, I can do it again. :-)
17:01 darbelo Inside the function, sure. The function itself... Our code generation tools aren't smart enough.
17:01 ash_ joined #parrot
17:01 dalek parrot: r46818 | petdance++ | trunk/src/gc (2 files):
17:01 dalek parrot: changed function pointers to NOTNULL instead of ARGIN
17:01 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46818/
17:01 Andy Yes, I know, but i'm sure we can annotate where necessary.
17:01 Andy Let's see what the compiler complains about.
17:07 dalek rakudo: e3fe329 | moritz++ | docs/release_guide.pod:
17:07 dalek rakudo: [docs] warn about potential damage from "make release"
17:07 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/e​3fe329c0cbba0ed3a5d41cb5277a1931d13d6e4
17:17 theory joined #parrot
17:18 dalek parrot: r46819 | petdance++ | trunk/src/utils.c:
17:18 dalek parrot: more arg consting
17:18 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46819/
17:23 Mokurai joined #parrot
17:26 tetragon joined #parrot
17:31 mmcleric joined #parrot
17:36 dalek parrot: r46820 | petdance++ | trunk (2 files):
17:36 dalek parrot: Don't complain about lexer-generated functions
17:36 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46820/
17:37 davidfetter joined #parrot
17:41 Casan joined #parrot
17:42 allison joined #parrot
17:52 Mokurai joined #parrot
17:59 Coke ZOMG it's allison
17:59 Coke how's classes?
18:01 joeri joined #parrot
18:02 davidfetter hello
18:02 davidfetter how do i compile some HLL, ideally a simple one, into PIR?
18:03 dukeleto examples/languages/squaak
18:03 Coke davidfetter: are you using PCT?
18:04 Coke if so, you can do parrot hll.pbc --target=PIR code.hll > code.pir
18:04 davidfetter oh, interesting :)
18:04 Coke otherwise, depends on your compiler.
18:05 dukeleto --target=pir should work
18:06 dukeleto but that will include definition of namespaces, which won't quite work when PL/Parrot wraps the code you pass it in an anonymous function
18:06 dukeleto it is doing with manual massaging, i think
18:06 dukeleto s/doing/doable/
18:06 davidfetter well, i'm ok with running it through a filter. a manual one, even. at least for today :)
18:07 dukeleto i am recompiling parrot now, since my tests for squaak failed
18:10 dukeleto i am seeing the tests for examples/languages/squaak blowing up, anybody else seeing this?
18:13 dukeleto i made a  TT: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1651
18:15 whiteknight dukeleto: I have a question about your parrot mirror on github: Why don't branches there disappear when they are deleted from the SVN repo?
18:15 whiteknight the project lists hundreds of old branches which have since been deleted
18:16 dalek rakudo: e6863e4 | moritz++ |  (2 files):
18:16 dalek rakudo: bump PARROT_REVISION, and load obscure_ops
18:16 dalek rakudo: review: http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/e​6863e4bd102b1b336474ba1e7cc43616c130605
18:18 ash_ joined #parrot
18:20 dalek TT #1651 created by dukeleto++: Squaak tests fail
18:20 dalek TT #1651: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1651
18:21 ash_ ping Coke?
18:22 Coke pong ash
18:22 ash_ Coke: I made an account on the parrot.org site (the drupal one), I was wondering if I could get added to the user group that the other GSoC guys are in
18:22 ash_ i think its for posting blog posts
18:24 dukeleto whiteknight: yeah, i need to fix that
18:25 whiteknight dukeleto: is that a svn mirroring tool of your own design?
18:26 dukeleto whiteknight: indeed, i have since learned better ways, but haven't gone back and made it better
18:26 dukeleto Coke: could you add squaak as a language to trac?
18:26 dukeleto Coke: in the languages dropdown
18:26 whiteknight I can do that
18:26 dalek parrot: r46821 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding (2 files):
18:26 dalek parrot: Add charset and encoding options to the stringinfo opcode.
18:26 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46821/
18:27 dukeleto whiteknight++
18:27 fperrad joined #parrot
18:28 whiteknight ...actually, I can't see where to add it
18:30 Coke note that the languages trac has its own trac.
18:30 Coke .. not that we're using that.
18:30 Coke moment.
18:30 whiteknight a second trac?
18:31 moritz as if one wouldn't be too many already :-)
18:31 moritz it's software, and therefore hateful
18:32 Coke ash_: what is your parrot.org id?
18:33 ash_ ash
18:33 Coke ash is now a poster.
18:34 ash_ cool, thanks
18:35 ash_ Coke++
18:35 ash_ GSoC++ ?
18:35 ash_ as a GSoC person, am I supposed to do a weekly blog post?
18:35 whiteknight ash_: we would very much prefer it if you did
18:35 ash_ kk, I'll do my best to make sure the content is good
18:36 ash_ should I just repost my blog post i put on my website to the parrot blog? or...?
18:36 Andy It would be highly awesome if there were some kind of GSoC summary each week that Perlbuzz could point to, too.
18:36 Coke dukeleto: done.
18:36 Coke ash_: up to your mentor, but what whiteknight said.
18:36 whiteknight ash_: parrot-related blog posts should be getting mirrored to the parrot aggregator
18:36 Andy Visibility = good
18:36 * Coke is leery of summaries.
18:36 Andy Repetition = good
18:36 Coke (esp. of summaries)
18:37 Andy A summary that points to individual blog psots.
18:38 Coke the languages dropdown is controlled by the trac.ini file on the server.
18:38 whiteknight Coke: ah, thats why I couldn't find it
18:39 ash_ http://greaterthaninfinity.com/2010/05/gsoc-work/ is the blog post I made today, i guess for now I'll just repost it...
18:41 Andy ash_: We can't tell your name.
18:41 iblechbot joined #parrot
18:41 Andy I look at http://greaterthaninfinity.com/2010/05/gsoc-work/ and have no idea who you are.
18:42 ash_ hmmm thats a good point, i should introduce myself on the parrot blog at least
18:45 Andy and put your name on each post
18:45 Andy and contact information
18:46 ash_ kk
18:46 Andy Consider the reader stumbling on your work without any idea who you are?
18:46 Andy s/.$/./
18:46 ash_ does drupal obfuscate emails?
18:46 Andy ash_: I dunno.
18:55 dukeleto Andy: i can try to make a gsoc summary blog post each week, but I make no promises. how do you want me to notify you of them?
18:56 ash_ Okay, I posted a blog post about my GSoC work, questions, comments, concerns, etc. please let me know
18:56 dalek website: ash++ | GSoC Project: NCI and Stack Frame Improvements
18:56 dalek website: http://www.parrot.org/content/gsoc-proj​ect-nci-and-stack-frame-improvements-0
18:56 Andy dukeleto: Make them visible to whereever people will see them, and if it's interesting I
18:56 Andy will point a Perlbuzz tweet at it.
18:57 Coke ... and /if it's interesting/
18:58 Andy Coke: Yes?
18:58 Coke so you're asking us to do extra work on spec. =-)
18:58 Andy No, not at all.
18:58 Andy I don't run anything on Perlbuzz that isn't interesting.
18:58 Andy And yes "interesting" is subjective.
18:59 * darbelo has an interest in uninteresting topics.
18:59 Coke Andy: yes, but my point is, dukeleto is now going to make those summary posts, even if they're not interesting.
18:59 Andy Coke: OK.
18:59 Andy Presumably he's not doing them only for Perlbuzz
19:00 dukeleto Andy: your definition of interesting seems to be an undefined variable
19:00 Coke yes. we weren't doing them. then you asked us to do them.
19:00 Coke so now he's doing them, but you might not like them. =-)
19:00 Andy Well, I didn't imagine that you'd only be doing them for Perlbuzz.
19:00 ash_ .oO( should post more explosions... )
19:00 Andy ash_: Your intro thing is interesting.
19:00 Coke dukeleto: have fun. =-)
19:01 Andy If you next week post "Well, I started working on such and such, and I made some documents about blah blah" then that's probly not very interesting to the general public, is it?
19:01 dukeleto Andy: even if you don't think it is interesting, you did a disservice to the Perl community last year by not mentioning GSoC stuff
19:01 Andy dukeleto: Bummer.
19:01 Andy I don't think that's a fair assessment in the slightest, however.
19:02 Andy Perlbuzz is very specifically NOT a firehose.
19:02 Andy There are more than enough planet.* aggregators for that.
19:02 Andy http://planet.parrotcode.org/
19:04 Andy Stuff like this, dukeleto: http://perlbuzz.com/2009/03/get-paid-for-working-o​n-perl-projects-in-google-summer-of-code-2009.html ?
19:05 Andy What should I have pointed to that I didn't?
19:06 silug joined #parrot
19:07 Coke Andy: there is a difference between "make your individual posts interesting so people care about them" and the summary postings we were talking about.
19:07 Coke at least in my mind.
19:07 Andy I'm not talking abotu summaries in specific.
19:07 Andy I just mean in general we need to make things interesting.
19:07 Coke 14:36 <@Andy> It would be highly awesome if there were some kind of GSoC summary each week that Perlbuzz could point to, too.
19:08 Andy Right, itwould be.
19:08 Coke (that's why I keep referring to summary)
19:08 Andy But don't do it for PB's sake.
19:08 Coke let me try to start over:
19:08 Andy If there are a dozen projects, and each of those projects has a weekly blog post, then something that aggregates those posts with pointers would be sweell.
19:08 Andy Maybe I jumped past the assumption that each project would have its own weekly posting.
19:08 Coke GSOC students - when posting your blog entries for the week, remember that you have a potentially wider audience than your mentor and the folks in #parrot.
19:08 Andy sure
19:09 Coke Andy: as you say, we already have aggregators. why make another one?
19:09 Andy becuase it would be GSoC-specific
19:09 moritz gnah, I get a PIR line number reported outside the file
19:09 Andy "Here's what Perl/Parrot have done with GSoC this week"
19:09 Andy The aggregators are all unfiltered.
19:09 Coke GSOC students - please tag your posts with "GSOC"
19:10 Andy That'd be a quick fix perhaps.
19:10 Coke certainly easier than trying to make even more content interesting by rehashing existing content, yes.
19:10 Andy No, i'm not suggesting making the summary interesting.
19:10 Andy The summary I just see as a link pile of pointers.
19:10 ash_ Coke: how do you add tags in drupal?
19:11 Coke Andy: ok. then tagging seems to be much easier.
19:11 Coke ash_: checking.
19:11 Andy The big thing is "make your posts interesting"
19:11 Coke ash_: when I edit a post, I see a title, then categories, and that block contains "tags"
19:11 Andy "make your posts interesting other than to someone who already knows everything about what you're doing'
19:12 ash_ Umm... I don't have a categories, i only have title, body, input format, url path settings
19:12 mmcleric left #parrot
19:13 ash_ so... as a design consideration, currently the NCI system uses strings to identify types, like Int's and what have you, but how should I do structures?
19:13 Andy dukeleto: ping
19:17 ash_ I am thinking a new object that represents a structure, but it might make things difficult since currently to make an NCI function call you have to say like "v" for void, how would I interpolate the structure into that? hmmm.... anyone have any comments? I could do some sort of seperators like "v{tf}"  for a "void, struct { char*, float}"
19:17 ash_ hmm
19:18 darbelo ash_: You want to pass structures into a function, not pointers?
19:19 ash_ I want full support libffi offcers, so that includes both
19:19 Coke () and [] for struct vs. pointer to struct?
19:20 darbelo From what little I know about our NCI capabilities we don't handle that type of call.
19:20 moritz that's why we need ash_'s project :-)
19:20 ash_ darbelo: no, but thats my GSoC project
19:20 ash_ (or part of it)
19:20 darbelo Closest thing we have are ManagedStruct and UnmanagedStruct, but those do a different thing.
19:21 Andy ManagedProject and UnmanagedProject
19:23 ash_ darbelo: i'll look at how those two work
19:26 dukeleto Andy: pong
19:28 Andy dukeleto: A couple of things to clear up.  First, I think "disservice" is pretty harsh to call "you didn't run articles that I think you should have."  Disservice implies that I hurt Perl somehow, which NOT running an article certainly doesn't.  Second, I don't recall ever rejecting anything from you.
19:29 dukeleto Andy: it is water under the bridge. I will attempt to write interesting blog posts this summer and let you know about them.
19:29 Coke plobsing: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1652
19:29 Coke (more imcc goodness for you.)
19:29 Andy Not sure I'd call it "water under the bridge" when you throw accusations at me today.
19:30 dukeleto Andy: I do remember you telling me that some of my posts were not interesting enough for Perlbuzz
19:30 Andy OK, and why was that?
19:30 dukeleto Andy: it is water under the bridge because I don't feel like beating a dead horse
19:30 Andy Do you recall which?  I'm sure if I did I'd have said something along the lines of "What's the angle, how can we make it more interesting to the general reader?"
19:30 bubaflub joined #parrot
19:31 dalek TT #1652 created by moritz++: Line numbers in a particular IMCC stack trace are all wrong
19:31 dalek TT #1652: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1652
19:32 ash_ for design decisions that might impact functionality/usability of parrot how should I go about resolving the design decisions? start a parrot-dev mailing list message? or ask here (at a specific time? the parrot sketch?)
19:32 Andy I'm right now pulling down a GCC 4.6 snapshot to see if I can constify/pureify more funcs.
19:33 dalek plparrot: f9f4dba | dukeleto++ | plparrotu.c:
19:33 dalek plparrot: Include bytea.h if PG is new enough
19:33 dalek plparrot: review: http://github.com/leto/plparrot/commit/f​9f4dba1c14acfbf5327481fe9df59a9c3f33b2b
19:33 dukeleto Andy: http://perlbuzz.com/2009/03/how​-to-write-an-announcement.html
19:33 Coke ash_: mailing list is a good place to beat the drum.
19:33 Andy dukeleto: What about it?
19:34 ash_ Coke: thanks, i'll write up my thoughts then send an email for criticism
19:34 ash_ should i make a ticket for a RFC too? or no because its a GSoC not trunk parrot?
19:34 Coke ash_: pinging people in here is fine for insta-feedback, you'll get more info on the list, and you can usually get resolution there or in #parrotsketch.
19:35 Coke ash_: depends on who you ask. I think RFCs are fine (since presumably we hope to eventually merge your branch to trunk)
19:35 Coke else why even ask, right? you could just do whatever you wanted on branch with no consequences. =-)
19:37 * whiteknight adds another line to his list of technologies he hates: silverlight
19:38 ash_ alright, once i get my thoughts sketched out so i have had time to think through my changes i'll email the mailing list and and make an RFC ticket (that can be resolved when my changes get hopefully merged into the trunk)
19:38 allison joined #parrot
19:38 ash_ Coke: also, i don't think i have privileges to tag my blog post as any sort of category, just so you know
19:41 Coke ok. anyone with editor or admin privs can re-tag an existing blog post. I'll let mentors do that until they revolt and make me figure it out more.
19:41 ash_ lol, drupal confuses me too, i have to work with it occasionally at work
19:41 Coke ah.
19:41 Coke no, blogs != news
19:43 whiteknight up != down
19:43 whiteknight black != white
19:43 particle NaN != NaN
19:43 dukeleto particle++
19:44 Coke leave my nana out of this.
19:45 NotFound Let's break things!
19:46 whiteknight ++
19:46 Coke anyone know what "administer taxonomy" permission in drupal does. this looks like the setting I want, but it has no docs.
19:47 Coke HA!
19:47 Coke ww.
19:48 [1]Casan joined #parrot
19:53 dalek parrot: r46822 | NotFound++ | trunk (3 files):
19:53 dalek parrot: store string encoding in PBC and change semantic of wide char encodings in PIR string literals
19:53 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46822/
19:53 dalek parrot: r46823 | NotFound++ | trunk/src/packfile/pf_items.c:
19:53 dalek parrot: c++ fix
19:53 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46823/
19:59 moritz I *HATE* IMMC
19:59 moritz erm, IMCC
19:59 moritz I get a syntax error in a routine
19:59 moritz I comment it out
19:59 moritz now I get a syntax error *before* that routine
19:59 Andy Am I the only one that cares about new comilers?  Does anyone need an account on uniqua?
19:59 sorear joined #parrot
19:59 whiteknight uniqua?
19:59 darbelo moritz: Join the club.
20:00 Andy whiteknight: My dev Linux box.
20:00 whiteknight Andy: which compilers you peddling?
20:00 Andy Or am I the only one pushing bleeding edge GCC
20:00 Andy icc, gcc, trying to do clang
20:00 Andy and splint
20:01 whiteknight I do icc and clang regularly
20:01 Andy awesome.
20:01 whiteknight I don't even know what the "bleeding edge" version of GCC is right now
20:01 Andy ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/mirror/languages/gcc/snap​shots/4.6-20100515/gcc-4.6-20100515.tar.bz2
20:02 whiteknight oh, no. I think I use 4.1 on one of my boxes, but certainly not 4.6
20:02 darbelo Andy: My main platform is stuck on 3.3.5, how's that for "bleeding edge"?
20:02 Andy http://nickclifton.livejournal.com/5630.html is what started all this
20:02 particle darbelo: that's closer to the bleeding tail.
20:03 atrodo My server at home has gcc 3.3.3
20:05 whiteknight damn, and I thought it was bad that my recent install of Solaris had 3.4.5
20:05 Andy atrodo: So many awesome warnigns you're not seeing!
20:05 Andy Warnings are fun!
20:05 darbelo Technically, I have 4.2.4 available in the ports colection, but the system compiler is still 3.3.5
20:05 atrodo Andy> I know!  I long for the day that I could see all the code I compile warn me
20:06 GeJ Good morning everyone.
20:07 Andy Need to play with gold, too.
20:09 mmcleric joined #parrot
20:10 dalek parrot: r46824 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding/src/string/encoding/ucs4.c:
20:10 dalek parrot: Update string length after manually filling the buffer.
20:10 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46824/
20:10 dalek parrot: r46825 | NotFound++ | trunk/t/native_pbc (4 files):
20:10 dalek parrot: update native_pbc
20:10 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46825/
20:22 ash_ Andy, i have a development version of clang (svn trunk, relatively recent) that i use for most of my compiling, although for the GSoC I plan on working with llvm 2.7, the most recent stable, since it is stable
20:23 ash_ its clang 1.5, currently for me
20:25 darbelo NotFound++ # Wide chars.
20:25 NotFound darbelo: It was time!
20:27 dalek parrot: r46826 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding (25 files):
20:27 dalek parrot: Pull changes from trunk.
20:27 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46826/
20:39 bluescreen joined #parrot
20:45 hercynium joined #parrot
20:56 darbelo allison: ping
21:00 dalek parrot: r46827 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding (2 files):
21:00 dalek parrot: Undo r46821, those pointers aren't telling us anything new.
21:00 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46827/
21:15 mikehh_ joined #parrot
21:15 bacek Good morning, humans.
21:16 mikehh_ yay bacek
21:16 darbelo Good morning, magical coding robot.
21:16 dalek parrot: r46828 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding/src/string/encoding/ucs4.c:
21:16 dalek parrot: Add some ASSERT_ARGS() I had missed.
21:16 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46828/
21:16 dalek parrot: r46829 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding/src/string/encoding (2 files):
21:16 dalek parrot: [CAGE] Adjust svn props.
21:16 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46829/
21:16 bacek dukeleto, ping
21:17 GeJ G'Day bacek.
21:17 bacek G'Day GeJ
21:17 bacek aloha mikehh, darbelo
21:18 mikehh joined #parrot
21:20 Whiteknight joined #parrot
21:32 dalek parrot: r46830 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding/src/string/encoding/ucs4.c:
21:32 dalek parrot: [CAGE] Shuffle whitespace about to make codetest happy.
21:32 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46830/
21:36 bacek msg dukeleto I added you to bacek/pir collaborators. Feel free to hack it :)
21:36 purl Message for dukeleto stored.
21:36 darbelo bacek++ # Getting more necromancers.
21:37 bacek darbelo, I started from scratch...
21:39 darbelo Oh, my copy was stale. PIRATE? Nice.
21:41 elmex joined #parrot
21:42 bacek darbelo, It was first not fully terrible name that came to my mind :)
21:43 darbelo I like it. Arr.
21:43 bacek We can use one eyed parrot as logo :)
21:49 dalek parrot: r46831 | darbelo++ | trunk/compilers/imcc/pbc.c:
21:49 dalek parrot: [CAGE] Tab police.
21:49 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46831/
21:49 dalek parrot: r46832 | bacek++ | trunk/examples/languages/squaak/t/00-sanity.t:
21:49 dalek parrot: Update tests to avoid multiple declarations of variables. Closes #1651
21:49 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46832/
21:50 NotFound Ups
21:55 Mokurai joined #parrot
21:59 Coke another pirate project?
21:59 * Coke oh mys at his google search for parrot pirate.
22:00 dalek TT #1651 closed by bacek++: Squaak tests fail
22:00 dalek TT #1651: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1651
22:03 bacek How I can add this github/bacek/pir to dalek?
22:04 dukeleto bacek: i think you bug Infinoid
22:04 darbelo Adding it to the Languages page in the wiki should be enough.
22:04 darbelo If that doesn't work, bug Infinoid.
22:04 bacek It's on Languages page.
22:04 dukeleto bacek: thanks for the commit bit, i will attempt to write some tests for pirATE
22:06 darbelo dukeleto: We had tests, but the PIR ate them.
22:06 darbelo :)
22:06 bacek dukeleto, don't put too much effort now. Everything is broken.
22:06 bacek Only one construction works: empty subroutine without pragmas and content :)
22:07 dukeleto bacek: what is the most useful thing that i can do?
22:09 Whiteknight There are only so many plays on the words "pir" and "parrot" we can make
22:09 bacek dukeleto, for now - almost nothing. In about week or two - testing, extending grammar, etc.
22:09 Whiteknight Eventually we're going to go the gnome/kde route and just prepend "p" on front of everything
22:09 Whiteknight pperl6, pruby, pphp
22:11 Tene or follow Coke and prepend Par
22:13 NotFound Or play a different game, like Winxed.
22:16 dukeleto bacek: i can fiddle with docs. A lot of docs talk about PGE, that is not outdated, correct?
22:17 dukeleto s/not/now/
22:18 darbelo dukeleto: Yep. It's (re)written in NQP.
22:20 dukeleto darbelo: that is what I thought, but wanted to verify. I will hack on the docs, then
22:21 darbelo dukeleto++
22:21 bacek dukeleto, yes
22:21 dukeleto that is pretty interesting. we are creating a PIR parser in a language written in PIR and which boils down to PIR. Just feels really meta.
22:22 bacek dukeleto, it will boil down to PBC directly :)
22:22 bacek Eventually....
22:22 Tene Meta?  Us?  No way.
22:23 * darbelo starts pulling his bootstraps.
22:25 dukeleto how do I make setup.pir look at tests in subdirectories of t/ ?
22:26 dukeleto i.e. what is the equivalent of Module::Build's recursive_test_files => 1 ?
22:27 Whiteknight NotFound: pWinxed
22:27 darbelo $P0['prove_files'] = 't/*.t t/whatever/*.t'
22:28 dukeleto darbelo++
22:28 darbelo dukeleto: Add that line under the " $P0['prove_exec'] = $S0" one and it'll work out of the box.
22:28 darbelo I think.
22:40 dukeleto darbelo: yes, that worked. and sure enough, every test fails :) But now they run!
22:40 darbelo dukeleto: SHIP IT!
22:42 darbelo purl: msg allison I've created the ucs4_encoding branch to add ucs4 support to parrot. It has no tests yet, but it should be ready for review.  Other than scattered support code here and there, the work happens in src/string/encoding/ucs4.c so I'd like to hear your thought on it.
22:42 purl Message for allison stored.
22:46 theory joined #parrot
22:50 kid51 joined #parrot
22:59 Psyche^ joined #parrot
23:31 Whiteknight darbelo++
23:31 darbelo Huh? What did I break now?
23:31 Whiteknight the ucs4 branch
23:31 Whiteknight except you didn't break it
23:32 darbelo Yeah, I feel weird *adding* so much code to parrot ;)
23:39 ash_ http://gist.github.com/408274 does that seem crazy for an idea for NCI functionality? I am going to email the mailing list for more feedback, just wanted anyone that had time to glance at it and tell my where I am doing silly things
23:43 ash_ the example of the pir code is at the bottom
23:43 mmcleric_ joined #parrot
23:44 bacek_at_work ash_, op dlfunc should accept array for types binding. We don't have variable-size ops.
23:44 ash_ okay, i can change that
23:44 dalek parrot: r46833 | darbelo++ | branches/ucs4_encoding/src/string (2 files):
23:44 dalek parrot: Update the encoding promotion logic in Parrot_str_concat() to correctly handle ucs4.
23:44 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/46833/
23:46 ash_ hmm, dang, got to go, i'll email the mailing list for feedback, thanks bacek_at_work++ for your quick response
23:46 bacek_at_work ash_, and take a look at (Un)ManagedStruct PMC. May be you can use it.
23:46 bacek_at_work mmcleric, привет :)
23:47 ash_ yeah, i'll look at those, my cursory glance at them seemed like they may do part of what I want but not all of it, so I figured i'd work from scratch until told otherwise
23:47 ash_ anyway, gotta go
23:53 NotFound A problem with that way is size. A signature string is just a few bytes, an array of opcodes is a lot more space.
23:54 darbelo Also, opcodes get bigger on 64-bit platforms.
23:57 Whiteknight I need to find a small project to do, get my feet wet again
23:57 Whiteknight any ideas?
23:58 darbelo Whiteknight: Hack on pirate!
23:58 NotFound Whiteknight: rewrite pbc_checker in a parrot language.
23:59 NotFound Even beter, write a parrot C++ compiler able to compile it X-)

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Parrot | source cross referenced