Camelia, the Perl 6 bug

IRC log for #parrot, 2010-11-08

Parrot | source cross referenced

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 kid51 whiteknight: Yes.  By not doing it today, we inevitably run into conflicts as we get closer to US Thanksgiving
00:07 dalek parrot: r49795 | jkeenan++ | trunk/config/init/hints/freebsd.pm:
00:07 dalek parrot: Correct syntax error spotted by doughera++; TT #1841.
00:07 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49795/
00:16 bacek_at_work ~~
00:21 Infinoid sorear: Yeah, looks interesting.  Does it work? :)
00:24 bacek left #parrot
00:24 sorear Infinoid: It's live; I hope it works!
00:32 kid51 is now known as kid51_at_dinner
00:47 Infinoid Awesome
00:47 Infinoid sorear: It looked like you had a single ongoing queue file, does that keep getting larger over time or is it cleaned out somehow?
00:47 Infinoid I saw the poll script but didn't see the botnix plugin in your repo
00:49 sorear It just grows over time
00:49 sorear Cleaning would be a manual process, if it ever happens; I don't expect the file to grow more than about 1MB/year
00:50 GeJ kid51_at_dinner: FYI make fulltest PASSes on FreeBSD 7 amd64.
00:50 Infinoid Maybe we should have a #dalek-plugins channel to discuss its design :)
00:53 GeJ kid51_at_dinner: and as for the __APPLE_CC__ warning (in TT #1841) it has more to do with gettext and FreeBSD than Parrot. I have it on FreeBSD 7, and I'm almost certain that I don't have it on my 8.x box at home. I will confirm it tonight.
01:07 kid51_at_dinner is now known as kid51
01:08 kid51 GeJ: Thanks for those reports.  The taptinder box is reporting successful build as well.  And discussion with mikehh earlier led us to the same conclusion re __APPLE_CC__
01:08 kid51 GeJ Do you submit smolder reports on that FreeBSD 7 amd64 box?
01:10 GeJ I may need to install some missing deps here. But I definitely do it on my home box.
01:11 kid51 They would be helpful.
01:15 dalek TT #1841 closed by jkeenan++: Add 'osvers' key-value pair to Configure.pl
01:15 dalek TT #1841: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1841
01:15 whiteknight left #parrot
01:31 arnsholt joined #parrot
01:41 dalek parrot: r49796 | jkeenan++ | trunk/lib/Parrot/Headerizer.pm:
01:41 dalek parrot: Correct spelling error.  Improve some POD formatting.
01:41 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49796/
01:56 lucian left #parrot
01:56 dalek parrot: r49797 | jkeenan++ | branches/tt532_headerizer_refactor:
01:56 dalek parrot: Create branch to work on �http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/532.
01:56 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49797/
01:57 dngor_ joined #parrot
01:59 dngor left #parrot
02:06 dngor_ is now known as dngor
02:12 mikehh haven't got any emails from parrot.org for a few hours
02:12 dalek parrot: r49798 | jkeenan++ | trunk/config/init/hints/darwin.pm:
02:12 dalek parrot: Correct erroneous argument to /usr/sbin/sysctl.
02:12 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49798/
02:12 dalek parrot: r49799 | jkeenan++ | branches/tt532_headerizer_refactor (4 files):
02:12 dalek parrot: Begin to move functions out of tools/dev/headerizer.pl and into new module lib/Parrot/Headerizer/Functions.pm.
02:12 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49799/
02:15 * dukeleto waves hello from NC
02:16 sorear aloha, seen bacek_at_work
02:16 aloha sorear: bacek_at_work was last seen in #parrot 2 hours ago saying "~~".
02:16 bacek_at_work sorear, pong
02:16 * bacek_at_work is have to run in less than 10 minutes
02:17 sorear bacek_at_work: Is it just me, or did aloha handle messages at one point?
02:17 bacek_at_work sorear, erm.
02:17 bacek_at_work msg sorear It was from early ages of aloha
02:17 aloha OK. I'll deliver the message.
02:17 sorear Did you remove that b/c of phenny and purl?
02:17 bacek_at_work "b/c"?
02:17 dukeleto mikehh: i haven't seen any email to parrot-dev either. I never saw cotto's email about PDS either
02:17 sorear because
02:18 * kid51 filed Trac ticket with OSU OSL re lack of mail to parrot-dev
02:18 sorear oh, it's #parrot only
02:18 sorear that makes sense
02:18 bacek_at_work I should have aloha on #perl6 as well
02:18 kid51 Mail is being received and is being listed on our pipermail archive site, but it's not being distributed.
02:18 dukeleto that sucks.
02:19 bacek_at_work sorear, aloha should cross-deliver messages I think.
02:20 bacek_at_work Ah. I didn't load Msg plugin in "#perl6" version.
02:20 bacek_at_work sorear, do you need it?
02:20 sorear no
02:20 sorear plobsing tried to use it, failed, and I was wondering why
02:20 sorear I showed him phenny
02:21 bacek_at_work fair enough
02:21 bacek_at_work afk # meetings...
02:27 stilgar joined #parrot
02:28 dalek parrot: r49800 | jkeenan++ | branches/tt532_headerizer_refa​ctor/tools/dev/headerizer.pl:
02:28 dalek parrot: Move declaration of main() into first position among functions.
02:28 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49800/
02:28 dalek parrot: r49801 | jkeenan++ | branches/tt532_headerizer_refactor (2 files):
02:28 dalek parrot: Encapsulate some code within main() into a function.  Place that function in Parrot::Headerizer::Functions.
02:28 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49801/
02:28 sorear dukeleto: Infinoid just asked me in pm if parrot will be moving to github
02:43 dalek parrot: r49802 | jkeenan++ | branches/tt532_headerizer_refactor (2 files):
02:43 dalek parrot: Create a file to hold tests of Parrot::Headerizer::Functions.
02:43 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49802/
02:59 dalek parrot: r49803 | jkeenan++ | branches/tt532_headerizer_refactor (2 files):
02:59 dalek parrot: Write basic tests of read_file() and write_file().
02:59 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49803/
03:12 kid51 left #parrot
03:15 dalek parrot: r49804 | jkeenan++ | branches/tt532_headerizer_refactor/t/​tools/dev/headerizer/01_functions.t:
03:15 dalek parrot: Add tests of print_headerizer_warnings().
03:15 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49804/
03:31 dalek parrot: r49805 | petdance++ | trunk/src/exceptions.c:
03:31 dalek parrot: consting
03:31 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49805/
03:34 mikehh All tests PASS (pre/post-config, make corevm/make coretest, smoke (#968) fulltest) at r49803 - Ubuntu 10.10 i386 (g++-4.5)
03:42 patspam joined #parrot
03:44 * cotto pongs sorear
03:44 sorear cotto: Why do you want to keep the wiki scraper?
03:44 cotto I don't care as long as the work that it does gets done in some other way
03:45 sorear ok.
03:46 cotto Something more elegant would be great.  Wiki scraping is a hack.
03:47 cotto did you have something in mind?
03:48 sorear the replacement is misc/dalek-conf.json in the mu repository
03:49 sorear not everything has been migrated
03:50 cotto How many people have a bit to update that?
03:54 sorear over a dozen, and they're handed out no questions asked
03:54 sorear mu is the spiritual successor to pugssvn
03:54 sorear although the larger projects have been moved out of it
03:55 cotto wfm
03:57 cotto dukeleto, poing
03:58 cotto (It's like ping, but it bounces.)
04:03 patspam left #parrot
04:16 cotto sorear, who do I talk to to get a mu commit bit?
04:16 sorear What's your github id?
04:16 cotto cotto
04:18 sorear moritz can definitely do it
04:18 sorear I thought I could
04:18 cotto moritz, ping
04:18 sorear but I can't find the "Admin" button
04:18 sorear while logged in as 'perl6'
04:25 cotto curious
04:25 cotto since the repo is "perl6/mu"
04:34 lidden left #parrot
05:27 dukeleto cotto: pong
05:31 rkazak joined #parrot
05:37 sorear hello rkazak
05:40 cotto dukeleto, what time tomorrow do you want to do the migration?
05:42 dukeleto cotto: good question. What part of the migration do you mean?
05:42 dukeleto cotto: the repo switch?
05:43 cotto dukeleto, primarily that, yes
05:44 rkazak hi
05:45 cotto also, can you modify the script to mark both autrijus and audrety as audreyt?
05:45 cotto rkazak, hi
05:50 rkazak I built parrot on mac osx 10.6, the say command seems to fail?
05:52 cotto rkazak, what exactly are you trying to do that fails?
05:53 rkazak run a simple .pir script
05:53 cotto can you nopaste the script, how you're running it and what the output is?
05:53 cotto aloha, nopaste?
05:53 aloha cotto: nopaste is is http://nopaste.snit.ch (works with the script in $_PARROT/tools/dev/nopaste.pl)
05:53 plobsing rkazak: can you nopaste the script? (perl tools/dev/nopaste.pl)
05:54 rkazak sure
05:56 bluescreen left #parrot
05:57 dukeleto cotto: yes, i will fix autrijus -> audreyt
05:58 nopaste "rkazak" at 192.168.1.3 pasted "say failing?" (9 lines) at http://nopaste.snit.ch/25389
05:59 plobsing rkazak: your string delimiters don't match
05:59 plobsing (yes the error message is LTA)
06:00 rkazak ouch - sorry...
06:00 rkazak that fixed it.
06:00 rkazak LTA ?
06:01 plobsing less than awesome
06:01 dukeleto rkazak: Less Than Awesome
06:01 cotto rkazak, no worries.  It's hard to know when something's your fault and when it's Parrot's when you're just learning.
06:01 rkazak :)
06:01 dukeleto rkazak: that error message is pretty bad. I would consider that a bug.
06:02 bacek_at_work Existence of IMCC is a bug
06:02 cotto dukeleto, sure.  All we have to do is fix imcc.
06:02 dukeleto bacek_at_work++
06:02 cotto smop
06:02 dukeleto cotto: i'll get right on that, after I rewrite the Perl 5 regex engine
06:02 cotto 30 minutes, tops
06:03 * bacek_at_work throwing Dragon Book into cotto
06:03 cotto om nom nom
06:03 dukeleto cotto: if by "fix" you mean "burn with a flamethrower", i can do that.
06:04 cotto dukeleto, patience.  PIRATE's day will come and there will be much rejoicing as imcc goes down in flames.
06:05 dukeleto so, are we not getting emails to parrot-dev?
06:05 cotto dukeleto, apparently not
06:05 dukeleto seems like bad timing, with the git migration and all...
06:06 cotto thoroughly
06:07 sorear dukeleto: you need a regex engine?  I've only written about five, I think I'm the go-to person for those
06:07 bluescreen joined #parrot
06:08 rkazak ok guys, thanks - I need to hit the pit as it's late for me. More for me later.
06:08 dukeleto sorear: i will let you know when I need one, thanks :)
06:09 * dukeleto fiddles with the authormap for the final git conversion
06:09 cotto rkazak, g'night
06:09 rkazak left #parrot
06:10 cotto weak.  The parrot-dev archive shows my reply to the pds scheduling thread, even though nothing went out.
06:14 dukeleto cotto: yeah, kid51 mentioned that the archives are getting stuff, but not the list
06:14 cotto If anyone here wants to attend the online developer's summit, please add your availability to http://www.doodle.com/q4nwdt9i5k929n2s
06:15 d4l3k_ joined #parrot
06:15 dalek left #parrot
06:16 d4l3k_ is now known as dalek
06:18 dukeleto ug. looks like there is only one svn username with spaces in it: "Paul C. Anagnostopoulos". Hopefully my stuff can deal with it.
06:19 dukeleto i have no CREDITS info for "barney"
06:20 dukeleto does anybody know anything about "barney" ?
06:20 dalek left #parrot
06:20 * dukeleto prepares to get trolled
06:21 cotto dukeleto, what about him?
06:21 dalek joined #parrot
06:21 dukeleto cotto: he is in svn history, but no CREDITS info
06:21 dukeleto so i don't have a valid email or name for him/her
06:21 davidfetter left #parrot
06:21 cotto him
06:22 cotto just a sec
06:22 sorear check what they committed, cross-reference it against project history
06:22 sorear ?
06:22 cotto For some reason, his username is listed as "bernhard"
06:22 rurban joined #parrot
06:23 cotto he and barney are the same person
06:23 dukeleto barney ~~ bernhard, got it
06:24 * dukeleto thinks he has a spiffy new author map script
06:24 dukeleto cotto: when are you planning on telling people to not commit to svn anymore?
06:25 cotto as late as possible
06:25 dukeleto cotto: i am going to regenerate parrot with my new authormap in a few mins, are you going to be around for a bit?
06:25 cotto sure
06:28 rurban left #parrot
06:31 dukeleto cotto: the doodle poll says "Virutal Summit". Is that a new kind of summit? ;)
06:31 dukeleto cotto: i filled out my info on the doodle poll
06:31 * dukeleto goes back to migrationz
06:32 cotto So far there's exactly one slot that'll work for everyone.
06:33 rurban joined #parrot
06:34 dukeleto cotto: dec 5? i thought i saw one with a bold "6" at the bottom
06:35 cotto yes, at 1700 left coast time
06:37 * dukeleto kicks off a new filter-branch of parrot.git and cranks up some NIN
06:42 dukeleto it is more than 25% done already.
06:48 moritz cotto: what's your github ID?
06:49 moritz cotto: added github ID 'cotto' to the perl6 team - if that's not your ID, please scream asap :-)
06:50 cotto moritz, cotto
06:50 * cotto doesn't scream
06:51 sorear moritz: How do I add people to mu?
06:52 moritz sorear: do you have access to https://github.com/organizations/perl6/teams/14366 ?
06:53 * dukeleto now learns about the --all option to git filter-branch
06:54 sorear I can view the list
06:54 sorear but there's no obvious button
06:54 moritz for me there's an input field and an 'add' button at the bottom
06:55 dukeleto moritz: you are an admin on the perl6 org, most others are not
06:56 dukeleto cotto: what is our policy for current github branches?
06:56 moritz sorear: I've now added you to perl6 org "owners" team, so you should be able now
06:57 moritz sorear: when somebody wants commit access to the mu/std/specs/roast/whatever repo, please add them to 'perl6' team
06:57 cotto dukeleto, anything not containing a slash is liable to be nuked
06:57 dukeleto cotto: i think i can rewrite cotto/git_aware_docs and the few others with filter-branch, and replace them
06:57 cotto great
06:57 dukeleto cotto: one thing to keep in mind is that if we keep old branches with the new repo, they will be disjoint histories, and hence take up lots of space. We don't want that.
06:59 dukeleto cotto: i think i will run filter-branch one more time, with --all, which will filter-branch all branches, and then I can force push everything and hopefully unicorns come out the other side
07:00 cotto dukeleto, what would we lose by removing those branches?  Would commits to them still appear in the repo?
07:00 dukeleto cotto: i don't quite know what you mean by "removing those branches"
07:01 dukeleto cotto: it isn't a big deal, i have them locally, and I can apply them as patches, but i think filter-branch can take care of it
07:01 cotto wfm
07:01 dukeleto cotto: they will get merged in very soon after the new parrot.git goes live
07:04 dukeleto filter-branch just finished, after about ~28m
07:04 cotto That was way faster than last time.
07:06 dukeleto Indeed. I just started it again with --all
07:07 dukeleto so in ~28 minutes, we may have a new parrot.git
07:07 cotto shiny
07:07 dukeleto i may have to hack my mirror script a bit to force push everything for the first push of the new parrot.git, but that should be easy
07:08 * dukeleto reminds parrot devs to put their tray tables and chairs in the upright position
07:09 cotto In the event of a water landing, purl may be used as a flotation device.
07:10 sorear moritz: did you just create a bunch of teams, or were "book" et al only visible to owners?
07:14 cotto dukeleto, what time tomorrow do you want to flip the switch?  Do you know if the osl folks will be around in the evening?
07:15 moritz sorear: github automatically creates one team per repo
07:16 moritz sorear: book is one of the few repos where we have separate comitters list atm
07:23 dukeleto cotto: not sure. I am on east coast time this week.
07:23 cotto that complicates things
07:24 cotto to get this migration done I'm fine shifting my schedule around as necessary, but I'm not sure about osuosl.
07:26 dukeleto cotto: have you talked to them at all?
07:27 cotto no
07:27 cotto do you think it'd be better for me to sync with them?
07:34 fperrad joined #parrot
07:38 dalek left #parrot
07:39 dalek joined #parrot
07:42 bacek joined #parrot
07:48 bacek aloha, humans
07:53 cotto parrot-dev is down at a most inopportune time, so here's the current plan:  dukeleto and I will try to get svn set to read-only as soon as we can.
07:53 cotto After that, dukeleto will sync any final changes to the github clone and I'll work with osuosl to install the github trac plugin.
07:53 cotto Once that's done, we'll be good to go.  It'll be safe to clone and push to the github repo as soon as dukeleto's done syncing.
07:54 cotto He'll post when that's ready to go.
07:55 dukeleto I am doing a hopefully final filter-branch, and I have emailed support@osuosl.org asking to make SVN read-only
07:56 dukeleto We are very close to being Git-enabled.
08:00 cotto at this point, svn commits are discouraged
08:01 dukeleto Every time you commit to svn between now and when we convert to git, a fairy loses her wings.
08:02 cotto opbots, names
08:02 Topic for #parrot is now Parrot 2.9.1 Released | http://parrot.org | Log: irclog.perlgeek.de/parrot/today | GIT MIGRATION IMMANENT: svn commits are discouraged | parrot-dev is down
08:03 theory left #parrot
08:04 sorear Does OSUOSL know we're moving to git?
08:04 dukeleto sorear: yes
08:05 dukeleto sorear: they are #osuosl on freenode, and i sent in support tickets
08:05 * sorear wonders how well they approve of the move to github
08:05 cotto 'night
08:05 dukeleto sorear: i assume they will like it, since it means less work for them
08:05 cotto sorear, I don't think they care too much.  It's a free service that they provide which we're relying on less post-migration.
08:05 * cotto is out
08:06 theory joined #parrot
08:06 theory left #parrot
08:36 dalek left #parrot
08:37 dalek joined #parrot
10:00 cxreg dukeleto: still around?
10:01 cxreg i'm wondering what filter-branch --all does to merge commits with some mild paranoia
10:28 masonkramer_ joined #parrot
10:28 masonkramer___ left #parrot
10:42 AzureStone left #parrot
10:45 AzureStone joined #parrot
10:56 rurban_ joined #parrot
10:59 rurban left #parrot
10:59 rurban_ is now known as rurban
11:27 contingencyplan left #parrot
11:39 dalek parrot: r49806 | gerd++ | trunk (2 files):
11:39 dalek parrot: add a sha256 message digest function from the SHA-2 family
11:39 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49806/
11:57 jsut joined #parrot
12:02 jsut_ left #parrot
12:11 dalek parrot: r49807 | gerd++ | trunk/config/gen/makefiles/root.in:
12:11 dalek parrot: add the generation of the according pbc file from sha256.pir
12:11 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49807/
12:26 patspam joined #parrot
12:26 patspam left #parrot
12:27 dalek parrot: r49808 | gerd++ | trunk/MANIFEST.generated:
12:27 dalek parrot: install sha256.pbc
12:27 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49808/
12:31 darbelo joined #parrot
13:16 mtk joined #parrot
13:17 lidden joined #parrot
13:31 whiteknight joined #parrot
13:39 whiteknight good morning, #parrot
13:42 moritz good mornin' whiteknight
13:43 darbelo aloha: clock?
13:43 aloha darbelo: darbelo: LAX: Mon, 05:43 PST / CHI: Mon, 07:43 CST / NYC: Mon, 08:43 EST / UTC: Mon, 13:43 UTC / LON: Mon, 13:43 GMT / BER: Mon, 14:43 CET / TOK: Mon, 22:43 JST / SYD: Tue, 00:43 EST
13:48 * dukeleto waves hello
13:49 whiteknight good morning duke
13:49 whiteknight particularly bad timing for a mailinglist outage, eh?
13:50 darbelo I'm guessing the outage is going to delay the migration. Right?
13:51 whiteknight I posted a notice on my blog this morning. I don't know how the readship of that compares to the readership of parrot-dev
13:51 whiteknight recent list traffic suggests a decision in my favor though :)
13:52 darbelo You could also post to the parrot.org home page.
13:52 darbelo Prejudiced people might argue that is more authoritative than some dude's blog.
13:52 dukeleto I am not going to let the mailing list change my migration plans.
13:52 dukeleto git filter-branch may be effective in driving me insane this morning, though.
13:53 whiteknight darbelo: Even if it's the same dude writing the stuff?
13:53 darbelo You can't beat prejudice, man.
13:53 whiteknight actually, I don't think my blog is on planet.parrotcode yet, still
13:53 darbelo ;)
13:56 bluescreen left #parrot
14:01 dalek parrot: r49809 | gerd++ | trunk/runtime/parrot/library/Digest/sha256.pir:
14:01 dalek parrot: remove a trailing whitespace
14:01 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49809/
14:03 dukeleto THE HORROR
14:04 dukeleto cotto: ping!
14:04 dukeleto cotto: did you spam everyone individually to tell them not to commit?
14:04 dukeleto cotto: evidently gerd++ didn't get the message
14:04 mtk left #parrot
14:06 bluescreen joined #parrot
14:07 whiteknight getting the message is for losers
14:07 whiteknight I know,  because none of us got the message :)
14:11 moritz well, I got it (from the /topic)
14:11 dukeleto moritz++
14:17 dalek parrot: r49810 | gerd++ | trunk/runtime/parrot/library/Digest/sha256.pir:
14:17 dalek parrot: remove trailing whitespace
14:17 dalek parrot: review: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/changeset/49810/
14:20 dukeleto another fairy loses their wings
14:20 * dukeleto just emailed gerd++ to stop
14:21 darbelo Can't we just make svn read-only for the migration?
14:21 dukeleto OSUOSL peeps are not awake yet.
14:21 dukeleto darbelo: I would love to. I can't.
14:21 dukeleto If anyone can make the svn repo read-only, that would be amazing. But I think the OSUOSL peeps need to do it.
14:21 darbelo Ouch.
14:28 whiteknight I can go in and remove all committers
14:28 whiteknight not quite the same thing
14:28 moritz let's DDOS it!
14:28 moritz *SCNR*
14:30 * dukeleto is talking to OSUOSL peeps now
14:31 whiteknight dukeleto: where at?
14:32 dukeleto svn: Commit failed (details follow):
14:32 dukeleto svn: Server sent unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response to MKACTIVITY request for '/parrot/!svn/act/8d506c6d-7​c62-41f6-88fb-71d6c1761c04'
14:32 dukeleto SVN is read-only, and I am going to ignore those last few whitespace commits.
14:33 whiteknight we can re-add them manually
14:37 dukeleto cotto: ping!
14:41 gerd joined #parrot
14:45 * dukeleto made a mistake and is starting over, so I will pull in those whitespace commits
14:47 whiteknight dukeleto does not make mistakes. He simply finds a higher level of perfection
14:49 gerd left #parrot
14:49 PacoLinux joined #parrot
14:49 dukeleto Wheels within wheels...
15:04 dukeleto UGGGGG
15:05 dukeleto someone emailed me 3 minutes ago about changing their name.
15:05 dukeleto Should I restart my filter-branch?
15:08 plobsing can't names be changed afterwards?
15:08 plobsing (by someone with admin privs of course)
15:08 dukeleto plobsing: it changes the sha1's all all history after it
15:09 Andy left #parrot
15:09 plobsing yes rewriting history has that property, but it seems like something we might want to do from time to time
15:09 Andy joined #parrot
15:11 dukeleto plobsing: no, we won't do that from time to time
15:11 dukeleto plobsing: we do it once. Now.
15:11 plobsing ah. ok.
15:11 dukeleto plobsing: changing history would make everyone's clone become divergent
15:13 plobsing can't rebase fix that?
15:14 dukeleto plobsing: if i didn't know better, I would think that you are trolling me.
15:14 dukeleto plobsing: rebasing public history is a big NO NO NO. If you rebase public history, that means that everyone else that has that history in their repo has a divergent (different) history
15:15 dukeleto PROTIP: Never ever rebase public history.
15:16 dukeleto plobsing: read the "recovering from an upstream rebase" at http://www.kernel.org/pub/softwa​re/scm/git/docs/git-rebase.html
15:16 dukeleto Excerpt: Rebasing (or any other form of rewriting) a branch that others have based work on is a bad idea: anyone downstream of it is forced to manually fix their history. This section explains how to do the fix from the downstream’s point of view. The real fix, however, would be to avoid rebasing the upstream in the first place.
15:17 darbelo "History has changed. The world is no longer as you remember it."
15:17 dukeleto Upstream rebasing = making everyone's life really complicated.
15:24 * dukeleto starts a filter-branch ONE MORE TIME
15:24 plobsing "never ever" just seems artificial. it seems to me that if it was done sufficiently infrequently and with enough advanced warning, it wouldn't be that bad.
15:25 plobsing "never ever" does work though.
15:25 plobsing just seems suboptimal in my eyes
15:25 darbelo If it makes you feel better "Never ever" can be revised later :)
15:26 darbelo Unless we decide to never ever reconsider our never ever policy...
15:26 plobsing my head asplode
15:27 dukeleto plobsing: i don't understand why you want to make life more complicated
15:29 dukeleto we can put a pre-commit hook to disallow it, and we most probably will.
15:31 plobsing I agree that normal commiters shouldn't be allowed to do such things. I look it as a form of repo maintenance.
15:32 dukeleto plobsing: i hear what you are saying. But as the number of clone that exist increases, it becomes increasingly impossibilish to change history without causing horror and catastrophe.
15:33 dukeleto when we are on github, there could be hundreds to thousands of clones of parrot.git
15:37 whiteknight hopefully there will be thousands of clones
15:49 whiteknight I know I'm planning to fork as soon as it's live
15:55 theory joined #parrot
15:56 darbelo left #parrot
16:09 gerd joined #parrot
16:10 gerd left #parrot
16:11 darbelo joined #parrot
16:11 gerd joined #parrot
16:16 cotto dukeleto, pong
16:16 dukeleto cotto: welcome to the fun.
16:16 cotto wheee
16:17 cotto what's the current status of the migration?
16:17 cotto trac time?
16:17 dukeleto cotto: i am about to force push our new git repo to github. Shall I do it?
16:17 cotto of course
16:17 dukeleto cotto: yes, we need to bug people in #osuosl
16:17 cotto do it now
16:18 cotto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ALySsPXt0
16:18 moritz once the github repo is our official standard, we should have a policy against force pushes
16:20 cotto dukeleto, let me know when the repo is updated so I can make sure the revision map generated for the trac plugin is still ok
16:22 * dukeleto presses a large red button
16:22 cotto dukeleto, how long will the push take?
16:23 cotto http://videosift.com/video/Dont​-Push-the-History-Eraser-Button
16:23 moritz IWBN if github had an option that disabled forced pushes for a repo
16:23 * dukeleto is force-pushing the new repo as we type
16:24 dukeleto moritz: that can be done in a pre-commit hook
16:25 dukeleto master is updated. The other branches are rolling in now.
16:25 dukeleto don't reclone, yet.
16:27 brianwisti joined #parrot
16:29 dukeleto i think everything is pushed. But i think github is caching stuff, because I am not seeing the new stuff on the github web interface
16:29 dukeleto i am cloning a fresh github parrot.git to see what it looks like
16:29 whiteknight I'm seeing your pushes on my dashboard
16:29 dukeleto whiteknight: does the most recent commit show just "gerd" or the whole name?
16:31 whiteknight just "gerd"
16:31 dukeleto Ok, it looks like github is caching stuff, because when you clone, the name is correct
16:31 dukeleto whiteknight: go look at the gsoc_nci branch
16:31 cotto dukeleto, so cloning is safe now?
16:32 Topic for #parrot is now Parrot 2.9.1 Released | http://parrot.org | Log: irclog.perlgeek.de/parrot/today | GIT MIGRATION IN PROGRESS: svn commits are disabled | parrot-dev is down
16:32 dukeleto cotto: please clone it yourself and take a look
16:32 dukeleto cotto: i want to do some sanity checking for a few minutes before the hordes are notified
16:33 cotto dukeleto, doing so now
16:34 dukeleto cotto: i am going to commit something to see if that triggers the github cache to DTRT
16:34 * atrodo fetching as well
16:35 whiteknight it looks to me like the github cache is correct
16:35 whiteknight gerd has a github account with username gerd
16:35 dukeleto whiteknight: i just realized that
16:35 whiteknight if you scroll way down, you see cotto is listed by his full name
16:35 dukeleto If whiteknight and cotto say that the repo doesn't look like it is total garbage, then I think we can notify others.
16:35 whiteknight and you also notice that cotto needs to get a damned github account!
16:35 dukeleto I just pushed a new commit to github, can y'all test to see if you can pull it down with "git pull --rebase" ?
16:37 whiteknight I see it in github
16:38 cotto whiteknight, I probably just need to add whatever email address the svn import uses.
16:38 dukeleto whiteknight: cool
16:39 dukeleto cotto: are you insinuating that you want me to redo stuff?
16:39 whiteknight cloning now
16:39 dukeleto cotto: you can create a github account and add multiple email addresses for it
16:39 dukeleto whiteknight++
16:39 cotto dukeleto, not even close
16:39 cotto I'm perfectly happy adding another email address to my github account.
16:39 whiteknight ...actually not taking super long either
16:40 dukeleto cotto: good :)
16:41 whiteknight looks good to me
16:41 dukeleto So, i will take a break for a few mins. If y'all tell me that the repo looks good, I can tell @parrotvm to announce to the hordes
16:42 contingencyplan joined #parrot
16:43 cotto dukeleto, the plugin appears to be happy
16:43 dukeleto cotto: you are working on the plugin stuff already? sweet.
16:44 Topic for #parrot is now Parrot 2.9.1 Released | http://parrot.org | Log: irclog.perlgeek.de/parrot/today | svn is dead.  Long live git!  | parrot-dev is down
16:44 Topic for #parrot is now Parrot 2.9.1 Released | http://parrot.org | Log: irclog.perlgeek.de/parrot/today | svn is dead.  Long  live git!  |
16:44 cotto dukeleto, of course.
16:44 dukeleto darn.
16:44 cotto darn?
16:44 Topic for #parrot is now Parrot 2.9.1 Released | http://parrot.org | Log: irclog.perlgeek.de/parrot/today | svn is dead, long live git! https://github.com/parrot/parrot | parrot-dev is down
16:44 atrodo git++
16:45 dukeleto cotto: i messed the /topic up for second :)
16:45 cotto I don't like "darn"
16:45 cotto dukeleto, don't scare me like that
16:45 cotto I need to head off to $dayjob.
16:45 dukeleto cotto: no worries, just "darning" my /topic mishap ;)
16:45 dukeleto cotto: have fun!
16:45 dukeleto so shall we say that github is live?
16:45 dukeleto and let the hordes know?
16:45 cotto the instructions for the trac plugin should work without a hitch.
16:46 cotto dukeleto, very yes
16:46 brianwisti Stupid $dayjob. Getting in the way of perfectly good Parrot hacking.
16:46 whiteknight :)
16:46 * cotto goes to w3rk
16:49 dukeleto OSUOSL tells me the emails should be flowing again
16:49 dukeleto let me know if y'all get them
16:50 dukeleto it might have a big backlog, so it could take a few mins
16:50 whiteknight awesome
16:51 dukeleto whiteknight: we need to do the language repo
16:52 dukeleto whiteknight: but it is complicated, because you split some out to git repos
16:53 whiteknight we're not going to do the language repo as a whole. We're leaving them as the subrepos
16:54 whiteknight I don't think any of those have seen any action. I'm comfortable with rewriting history in-place for those repos to get author info right
16:54 dukeleto whiteknight: yep, now that i have all the scripts written, it should be trivial
16:56 whiteknight I'll gladly do the work myself if you send me the scripts and some gentle instructions
17:12 darbelo left #parrot
17:12 darbelo joined #parrot
17:17 cotto_work joined #parrot
17:19 dukeleto whiteknight: ok
17:25 rurban left #parrot
17:26 cotto_work dukeleto: anything interesting happening atm?
17:28 dukeleto cotto_work: i just merged git_aware_tools, kill_svn_tests and git_docs
17:28 dukeleto and now I am going to lunch
17:29 cotto_work woot
17:31 rurban joined #parrot
17:32 whiteknight I'm going to merge stdhandle_meths soon, probably. I would also like to start working towards a merge of gsoc_instrument soon if possible
17:34 whiteknight I will probably hold off on the later until after 2.10. I want to get *something* embed-related in before the release if I can
17:43 gerd left #parrot
17:46 rurban left #parrot
17:49 stilgar left #parrot
17:50 cotto_work whiteknight: I should be able to help with gsoc_instrument now that I have a decent working knowledge of the plobsing++'s dynop_mapping code
17:50 cotto_work I'd love to see that in trunk again.
17:51 rurban joined #parrot
18:09 whiteknight I think we should be close. Last time I was looking at it the upconversion looked straightforward but I ran out of steam and got distracted by other things
18:09 whiteknight I suspect we can get it merged in with an afternoon of decently-focused hacking
18:35 dalek TT #1843 created by doughera++: NetBSD fails compiling sysmem.c
18:35 dalek TT #1843: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1843
18:38 cotto_work dukeleto: is parrot-dev back in action?
18:39 dukeleto cotto_work: seems to be
18:39 * dukeleto just got back from lunch
18:45 dmalcolm joined #parrot
18:54 Topic for #parrot is now Parrot 2.9.1 Released | http://parrot.org | Log: irclog.perlgeek.de/parrot/today | svn is dead, long live git! https://github.com/parrot/parrot
18:55 Infinoid ooo, parrot git
18:56 Infinoid That's been a long time coming. :)
18:57 rurban_ joined #parrot
18:58 darbelo An announcement on parrot.org would be nice.
19:00 rurban left #parrot
19:00 rurban_ is now known as rurban
19:00 cotto_work darbelo: thanks for volunteering ;)
19:01 darbelo I think I have the right privileges to post it but I have no idea about what to say about it.
19:01 whiteknight "ZOMG IZ T3H GITZ, LOL"
19:01 cotto_work "mai git.  let me show you it"
19:01 whiteknight "source control: ur doin it wrong"
19:02 whiteknight "GIT PWNS J0"
19:02 cotto_work I actually have a message drafted at home.  If nobody beats me to it, I'll send it out.
19:09 moritz fwiw, rakudo builds on parrot-from-git, and the first few spectests pass
19:12 whiteknight awesome
19:12 whiteknight whoever does it, make sure the announcement goes out to parrot-dev and parrot-users
19:12 sorear fetch_url: failure fetching https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ti​meline?ticket=on&format=rss: 500 Internal Server Error
19:12 sorear dalek is broken
19:13 sorear well, not dalek in general
19:13 sorear just the wiki scraper + TTs
19:14 whiteknight blah
19:18 * darbelo sets git-svn on fire.
19:22 cotto_work trac is down for upgrades
19:24 darbelo I'll do my best not to finds bugs in the meantime, then.
19:24 darbelo :)
19:25 cotto_work is now known as cotto_work2
19:32 cotto_work joined #parrot
19:32 cotto_work2 goodbye, mibbit
19:32 cotto_work2 left #parrot
19:34 atrodo have a real irc client now?
19:35 cotto_work yes
19:45 sorear ooh
19:45 sorear hey darbelo
19:47 * dukeleto adds gas to the git-svn fire
19:49 cotto_work ♩ We didn't^H^H^H start the fire. ♩
19:57 darbelo hey sorear
19:59 cxreg dukeleto: did you see my question last night?
20:00 dukeleto cxreg: yes
20:00 dukeleto cxreg: my filter-branch command changes author names and emails. That's it.
20:04 cxreg except that those break sha1's
20:04 cxreg which means that parents of merges are possibly wrong
20:04 cxreg ie, your old commit's parent could be pointing to a now-replaced other commit
20:05 cxreg filter-branch is smart enough to fix that in /one/ branch, but i'm not sure across multiple branches
20:05 cxreg might Just Work though
20:06 sorear well, if you change the author names and emails in the same way in two branches, the new SHAs will be the same
20:06 sorear SHA1 maps identical inputs to identical otuputs
20:07 darbelo Such a clever little hash, he is.
20:09 dukeleto cxreg: i read the man page for filter-branch, and I think that i read that it deals with that, but I am not sure. Is there a way to you can take a look at the repo and see if it looks sane?
20:09 cxreg sure, wheres it at?
20:09 dukeleto cxreg: it is in the /topic :)
20:10 cxreg orite
20:12 cxreg sorear: i know, assuming everything was properly updated.  thats why i said paranoia :)
20:13 darbelo You mean it'd be dependent on the order in which artifacts are precessed.
20:14 darbelo Ugh. Now I'm paranoid too.
20:14 cxreg i'm not actually sure that matters.  and the repo does look ok.
20:15 cxreg i think if there were such problems, "git shortlog --all -ns" would show them
20:15 cxreg and that looks correct
20:15 cxreg or does it?
20:16 darbelo I think the tool should be smart enough to properly walk the DAG, but I have never investigated enough to convince myself that a git-svn DAG is sane in all the ways it should be.
20:16 cxreg 3255  Will "Coke" Coleda
20:16 cxreg 3216  coke
20:16 cxreg hrm
20:17 cxreg ah crap.  maybe it /is/ broken
20:17 cxreg b95c77cd6d is the same commit as 96873f4965, for example.
20:17 darbelo Well, *that* sucks.
20:18 cxreg it's a matter of going back and doing parent filters
20:19 cxreg but i dont know /how/ to do that in an efficient manner :(
20:19 cxreg and without introducing the same horrible cascading issue.  i guess you'd need to do it topologically from the top
20:21 darbelo dukeleto: ping
20:21 cotto_work dukeleto: can you update http://www.parrot.org/download to add any configuration issues for git users?
20:21 rurban left #parrot
20:22 dukeleto darbelo: pong
20:22 darbelo dukeleto:  http://irclog.perlgeek.de/p​arrot/2010-11-08#i_2976751
20:23 darbelo There seems to be trouble with the git repo.
20:23 dukeleto what is the problem?
20:23 cxreg the merges are pooched, as i had hoped they weren't
20:24 cxreg the unrewritten history is still there
20:24 cxreg ah!
20:25 cxreg i think it's /tags/
20:25 cxreg not branches
20:25 cxreg yes, confirmed
20:25 cxreg for example, RELEASE_2_9_1
20:25 dukeleto what is the problem, exactly?
20:25 cxreg so its not merges, its tags
20:25 cxreg the tags were not filtered, and are in the alternate history with the unfixed authors
20:26 dukeleto cxreg: hmmmmm
20:26 cxreg which is far from the worst case scenario, it means that the branches are fine
20:26 moritz and since the alternate history is still referenced, it can't be GC'ed
20:26 cxreg whew
20:26 dukeleto moritz: indeed.
20:26 dukeleto cxreg: do you have any recommendations?
20:27 darbelo Would re-tagging the releases and deleting the 'alternate history' tags DTRT?
20:28 cxreg darbelo: yeah probably
20:28 cxreg how many tags are there?
20:28 cxreg hm, 74's not bad
20:28 dukeleto a few dozen
20:28 dukeleto cxreg: would you like to fix this? I will buy you a beer when we finally meet up :)
20:28 cxreg heh :)
20:28 dukeleto cxreg: or your beverage of choice
20:29 cxreg i can help sure
20:29 cxreg the good news is, peoples clones should be safe
20:29 cxreg they might want to "git fetch --tags" when this is done
20:30 dukeleto cxreg: tags are pulled by default
20:30 dukeleto cxreg: but not pushed by default
20:30 cxreg no
20:30 cxreg changed tags are not
20:30 dukeleto cxreg: hmmm.  If you say so, I thought that was the case, tho.
20:30 cxreg its a security feature
20:30 cxreg nope
20:30 dukeleto cxreg: oh, yes "changed tags"
20:31 dukeleto cxreg: what commands will you actually need to do to fix this?
20:31 cxreg i'm not entirely sure.  i'm going to skip filter-branch and just use maybe git patch-id to find the right "real" commit
20:32 rurban joined #parrot
20:34 moritz youc an even look at the svn-commit to git-commit map, and use the tags from svn
20:34 cxreg oh right, forgot about those
20:38 dukeleto OH!
20:38 dukeleto wait
20:38 dukeleto i forgot to push the new tags
20:38 dukeleto cxreg: ^^^
20:38 dukeleto cxreg: just fixed it :)
20:39 dukeleto everyone needs to do a "git fetch --tags" if you already have a clone
20:41 * darbelo fetches.
20:42 * darbelo gc's
20:42 darbelo $ git gc
20:42 darbelo Counting objects: 375003, done.
20:42 darbelo Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
20:42 darbelo Compressing objects: 100% (112973/112973), done.
20:42 darbelo Writing objects: 100% (375003/375003), done.
20:42 darbelo Total 375003 (delta 252658), reused 374994 (delta 252658)
20:42 whiteknight december 5th at 8PM is looking like the winning time for a PDS
20:43 cxreg dukeleto: LOL
20:43 dukeleto LOLLERSKATES
20:44 moritz running git gc --prune  increased the size of my .git/ repo
20:44 moritz s/repo/dir/
20:44 darbelo dukeleto: shouldn't a git gc collect something after the tag update?
20:44 cxreg dukeleto: still some relics.  leto/testing ?
20:45 cxreg that did it
20:45 dukeleto http://twitter.com/#!/parro​tvm/status/1736627248435200 <-- directions for getting the new tags
20:45 dukeleto cxreg: i believe that was just a "testing branch" to test my mirror script with. It can be sent to /dev/null
20:46 cxreg yeah
20:46 cxreg kill it
20:46 dukeleto cxreg: you want me to?
20:46 dukeleto ah, that is keeping the gc from happening
20:47 dukeleto just rm'ed it
20:47 * dukeleto does a gc
20:47 bluescreen left #parrot
20:51 dukeleto darbelo: pull and try again
20:53 darbelo $ git pull
20:53 darbelo Already up-to-date.
20:53 darbelo I'm not seeing any changes.
21:00 dukeleto darbelo: you may need to do a "git branch -d leto/testing"
21:01 dukeleto wait, you probably don't have it checked out
21:01 dukeleto hmmmmm
21:01 darbelo I only have *master in my repo.
21:01 atrodo what does "git branch -a" show?
21:02 darbelo remotes/origin/leto/testing amongst others.
21:02 mikehh dukeleto: kI was logged in to github and it says I should use something like https://mikehh@github.com/parrot/parrot.git is that right?
21:03 dalek tracwiki: v1 | cotto++ | GithubPluginTest
21:03 dalek tracwiki: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/Gith​ubPluginTest?version=1&amp;action=diff
21:03 mikehh s/kI/I/
21:03 dukeleto darbelo: easiest thing is to clone again
21:04 dukeleto darbelo: leto/testing won't be there
21:04 sorear \o/
21:04 sorear who fixed trac
21:04 darbelo dukeleto: Not a big deal, it's not like I need the diskpace back.
21:05 dukeleto mikehh: i think so
21:05 darbelo mikehh: I did a "git clone git@github.com:parrot/parrot.git" which goes over ssh, but you need to set up your ssh keys on github for that to work.
21:05 dukeleto mikehh: cloning over http/https is very slow, and will take a long time
21:05 dukeleto mikehh: cloning over ssh is best
21:06 allison where is the wiki page that lists our procedures for git?
21:07 allison as in, the standard way to clone, setup our branches, submit patches, etc
21:08 allison that is, "the parrot project standard", since git has dozens of incompatible ways to do each
21:09 cotto_work allison: I believe dukeleto update docs/project/branching_guide.pod
21:09 cotto_work or not
21:09 moritz dozens incomapatible ways? that's news to me
21:10 allison moritz: not going there :)
21:10 * moritz remains unenlightened
21:10 cotto_work Trac is back up and should be back to 100% with the github plugin as soon as the kind folks at osuosl and I get some final issues ironed out.
21:10 allison consensus and documentation on our procedures was a requirement for the git switch
21:11 allison so we just switched with no procedures in place?
21:11 * Tene remains tened.
21:11 cotto_work I know there are updated docs.
21:11 cotto_work dukeleto: what happened to those?
21:12 whiteknight dukeleto did merge a few branches today mostly concerning docs
21:13 darbelo docs/project/git_workflow.pod strikes me as relevant
21:13 darbelo but the committer guide looks unupdated.
21:14 whiteknight no matter what is or is not written, we are going to have some learning to do as a community
21:14 allison the branching guide is certainly not updated
21:14 cotto_work allison: I think it's just an issue of things getting temporarily lost in the chaos rather than them not existing.  We're still getting everything updated and making sure people know where what is.
21:14 cotto_work aloha: clock?
21:14 aloha cotto_work: cotto_work: LAX: Mon, 13:14 PST / CHI: Mon, 15:14 CST / NYC: Mon, 16:14 EST / UTC: Mon, 21:14 UTC / LON: Mon, 21:14 GMT / BER: Mon, 22:14 CET / TOK: Tue, 06:14 JST / SYD: Tue, 08:14 EST
21:14 darbelo There's a 'Creating and Switching Branches' section in the git_workflow file
21:15 allison whiteknight: true, but we need to start with at least a strawman procedure to improve on, otherwise it's "everyman for himself"
21:16 whiteknight allison: yes. As cotto said, it's probably a case of things still being early in the migration. We do have docs, it's a matter of making sure they are in the right places, and that they are comprehensive
21:16 whiteknight the committer guide should be updated. That was probably an oversight
21:16 whiteknight and the metacommitter guide too, I venture to guess
21:17 whiteknight although that one is probably in more flux since Github has changed some things vis organizations lately
21:17 allison I'm not blaming anyone, it's past. But we need to fix it quickly, as in today or tomorrow.
21:18 allison a nice prominent page like https://github.com/rakudo/rakud​o/wiki/steps-to-create-a-patch
21:18 whiteknight I very much agree with that sentiment. I'll dig through it when I get home. I suggest several other people put eyes on it too to identify areas that are lacking
21:20 darbelo left #parrot
21:21 whiteknight there were docs on trac too. I don't know how many of them made it into the repo
21:21 whiteknight tangentially, I wonder what the long-term role of the docs/project folder in the repo is, if we have other places for project documentation
21:21 whiteknight another topic for another day
21:22 * dukeleto is back
21:23 cotto_work wb dukeleto
21:25 dukeleto I did update the branching guide.
21:25 whiteknight I'll take a look at the committer and metacommitter guides when I get home. I do want other opinions on them too. The conversion should be straight-forward I think
21:27 dukeleto hmmm. something didn't go through, because I *did* update that branching guide
21:27 dukeleto ah, i remember. I started a new document.
21:29 dukeleto allison: https://github.com/parrot/parrot/blob​/master/docs/project/git_workflow.pod
21:29 dukeleto whiteknight: https://github.com/parrot/parrot/blob​/master/docs/project/git_workflow.pod
21:29 dukeleto the old branching guide was very svn specific, so i didn't want to modify it
21:30 whiteknight we should remove it from the repo, if it's completely useless
21:30 dukeleto whiteknight: you just volunteered
21:31 cotto_work There's a line.
21:31 sorear Aaaand the wiki scraper is DEAD!
21:31 allison dukeleto: it needs "how to submit a patch"
21:31 * whiteknight is heading home. Will look at things later. Send me a list of all the things that I've apparently been volunteered for
21:32 allison dukeleto: commiters are the minority
21:32 allison dukeleto: but otherwise looks good
21:32 whiteknight left #parrot
21:33 dukeleto allison: hokey dokey
21:34 cotto_work Can someone push a commit?  I need to test the post-receive callback.
21:35 dukeleto cotto_work: sure
21:35 dukeleto cotto_work: just pushed
21:35 Infinoid sorear++ # hacking dalek
21:36 sorear btw, with the new design, we can do instant notifications
21:37 cotto_work dukeleto: it works
21:37 cotto_work http://trac.parrot.org/par​rot/wiki/GithubPluginTest
21:37 cotto_work that last one is what you just pushed
21:39 mikehh t/configure/018-revision_to_cache.t - Failed test:  5 - 'Got numeric value for revision number' in perl Configure.pl --test etc
21:39 cotto_work I can feel my stomach unknotting.
21:40 cotto_work left #parrot
21:40 cotto_work joined #parrot
21:40 cotto_work trac.parrot.org should be 100% functional.  If you find anything surprising, let me or dukeleto know.
21:43 cotto_work note the shiny tooltips on http://trac.parrot.org/par​rot/wiki/GithubPluginTest
21:43 atrodo Shiny
21:43 dukeleto mikehh: some of those tests will need to change to know about sha1's. Sorry I didn't catch those before the transition
21:50 dalek tracwiki: v2 | cotto++ | GithubPluginTest
21:50 dalek tracwiki: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/Gith​ubPluginTest?version=2&amp;action=diff
21:50 dalek tracwiki: v3 | cotto++ | GithubPluginTest
21:50 dalek tracwiki: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/Gith​ubPluginTest?version=3&amp;action=diff
21:50 dalek tracwiki: v4 | cotto++ | GithubPluginTest
21:50 dalek tracwiki: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/Gith​ubPluginTest?version=4&amp;action=diff
21:52 jan joined #parrot
21:53 mikehh dukeleto: just trying to figgure it out - cd02859ff353ea8e15ea64668e19189fdcdd43e4 - does not pass like($Parrot::Revision::current, qr/^\d+$/, "Got numeric value for revision number");
21:55 mikehh dukeleto: what would the rggex be?
21:55 mikehh regex
21:55 mikehh test for 40 hex digits?
21:56 moritz ^ <xdigit>**30 $
21:57 mikehh let me try
22:00 dukeleto mikehh: [a-f0-9]{30} perhaps
22:00 cotto_work shouldn't that be 40?
22:02 dukeleto cotto_work: yes
22:06 dukeleto i just added the new parrot.git to the languages wiki page, so maybe we will get updates about git commits from dalek soon
22:06 dukeleto a better solution is needed
22:06 dalek tracwiki: v147 | dukeleto++ | Languages
22:06 dalek tracwiki: http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/L​anguages?version=147&amp;action=diff
22:07 cotto_work dukeleto: The current (or soon to be implemented) plan is to use a json config file in the mu repo for dalek.
22:07 cotto_work misc/dalek-conf.json or something similar
22:10 sorear yes
22:11 sorear I've already done the final scraper run, to regenerate dalek-conf.json
22:11 cotto_work sorear: is that how it works now?
22:11 sorear only on localhost
22:12 cotto_work you mean that the json file is used but has to be copied to the local machine?
22:12 sorear no
22:12 sorear I mean that I'm running a test instance of dalek here
22:12 sorear with newer code
22:12 cotto_work ah
22:13 sorear actually I think it's working well enough now
22:13 sorear 12 files changed, 246 insertions(+), 914 deletions(-)
22:13 dukeleto sorear: how often does dalek look at the languages wiki page?
22:14 sorear dukeleto: every 5 minutes
22:14 sorear well, never, as of the live dalek update just now :)
22:14 sorear you need to commit changes to the mu repo
22:15 sorear if you don't have a commit bit, ask me, moritz, or TimToady
22:15 * cotto_work notices that he has a mu bit
22:15 dukeleto sorear: i have a bit
22:15 sorear if using github.com/perl6/mu.git is politically unacceptable, create a second json file of the same format and I'll add it to the poll list
22:15 dukeleto sorear: does your conf have parrot.git in the conf?
22:16 sorear not yet
22:16 dukeleto sorear: i added it a few minutes ago to the languages wiki page
22:16 dukeleto sorear: just rescrape and you will get it
22:17 fperrad left #parrot
22:19 sorear I reran the scraper and it reported everything twice, because it's using both the old scrape stored in json and the wiki
22:19 sorear so I'll just add this manually
22:20 dukeleto sorear: sounds fine to me. i just want to see git commits in here :) Thanks!
22:20 cotto_work left #parrot
22:20 sorear also, that link is broken.
22:21 cotto_work joined #parrot
22:21 sorear at least, for tools
22:21 dngor left #parrot
22:21 dngor joined #parrot
22:21 dukeleto tools link?
22:22 sorear What branches do you want reported?  They have to be enumerated explicitly
22:22 sorear yeah, the http: -> https: redirection only works for browsers
22:22 sorear programmatic access to http://github.com is dead
22:22 sorear that's what broke dalek last week - I had to fix all the links
22:23 dukeleto sorear: thank you for working on this
22:23 sorear just master for now?
22:23 dukeleto sorear: well, we at least want to see master. I am not sure which other branches we want to see
22:23 dukeleto sorear: sure, wfm
22:23 brianwisti left #parrot
22:23 sorear git is not very good at diffing json
22:24 dukeleto sorear: you can write custom diff-handlers
22:24 cotto_work left #parrot
22:25 sorear Infinoid: Is there any reason to keep around modules/local/parrotlog.pm?
22:29 masonkramer___ joined #parrot
22:29 masonkramer_ left #parrot
22:29 cotto_work joined #parrot
22:46 sorear Infinoid: would you take a look at my latest commit?
22:46 sorear this is what I was talking about as "stage 2"
22:51 Infinoid sorear: No reason to keep parrotlog around unless you want the basis for a generic trac commit parser.
22:51 Infinoid It's in source control if we need to dig it out, anyway
22:58 mikehh dukeleto: did you change tools/dev/mk_manifest_and_skip.pl or t/manifest/*
22:58 bluescreen joined #parrot
23:07 dngor_ joined #parrot
23:08 dngor left #parrot
23:24 gerd joined #parrot
23:33 gerd left #parrot
23:35 gerd joined #parrot
23:44 stilgar joined #parrot
23:45 gerd left #parrot
23:46 dngor joined #parrot
23:50 dngor_ left #parrot
23:50 particle1 left #parrot

| Channels | #parrot index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Parrot | source cross referenced