Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2009-11-03

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
05:13 cotto joined #parrotsketch
10:33 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
13:58 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
16:14 davidfetter joined #parrotsketch
17:01 NotFound joined #parrotsketch
17:07 whiteknight WHAT I DID:
17:08 whiteknight (parrot) Digging my way through some old RT tickets, closing what I can
17:08 whiteknight (matrixy) Created a new branch to start integrating with parrot-linear-algebra
17:08 whiteknight (pla) Fixed some issues with indexing
17:08 whiteknight (pla) Added fill(), transpose(), iterate_function_inplace(), get_block(), set_block(), initialize_from_array()
17:08 whiteknight (pla) Added several vtables: get_attr_str, clone, is_equal
17:08 whiteknight (pla) Added tests for most vtables and methods. Suite has over 70 tests now, all pass.
17:08 whiteknight WHAT I WILL DO:
17:08 whiteknight (parrot) continue closing/migrating old RT tickets
17:08 whiteknight (parrot) focusing more on the JIT work
17:08 whiteknight (matrixy) continue integration work with parrot-linear-algebra
17:08 whiteknight (pla) expand the test suite
17:08 whiteknight (pla) improve tests and functionality for PMCMatrix2D
17:08 whiteknight WHAT I AM BLOCKING ON:
17:08 whiteknight Time
17:08 whiteknight EOR
17:40 mikehh What I did in the last week:
17:40 mikehh * building and testing parrot - fixing codetest errors etc.
17:40 mikehh * getting a test failure with --optimize build that passes
17:40 mikehh without --optimize, TT #1147
17:40 mikehh * still failing to build with g++ (4.4.1) due to string.h
17:40 mikehh changes (strchr in particular), TT #1110
17:40 mikehh What I intend to do in the next week:
17:40 mikehh * testing and fixing
17:40 mikehh * continue working on checking skipped tests
17:40 mikehh .eor
17:53 rgrau joined #parrotsketch
17:54 barney joined #parrotsketch
17:56 pmichaud joined #parrotsketch
17:57 jonathan joined #parrotsketch
17:58 dukeleto how long until #ps?
17:59 jonathan 32
17:59 dukeleto ok, i will be 30 minutes late
17:59 dukeleto conflicting engagements.
18:00 dukeleto Stuff I did:
18:00 dukeleto * got plumage mostly working (with help from pmichaud) with nqp-rx here: http://gitorious.org/parrot-plumage/parrot-plumage/commits/nqprx
18:00 dukeleto * hacking on the RTEMS port of parrot with kiwichris. it cross-compiles and runs. still working out other kinks.
18:00 dukeleto * accepted patches from bubaflub++ that add new testing functions to Test::More : lives_ok() and dies_ok()
18:00 dukeleto * started a HLL, Kea : Factor on Parrot: http://github.com/leto/kea
18:00 dukeleto What I will do:
18:00 dukeleto * More of the same
18:00 dukeleto Blockers:
18:00 dukeleto * Time and sunlight.
18:00 dukeleto .eof
18:05 Coke joined #parrotsketch
18:07 Coke did - basically just cleaned up old RT tickets. down to 102 in RT. Please go through and deal with any tickets assigned to you; if you have no tickets assigned, please pick one to transfer over. See my mailing list post for details.
18:07 Coke .
18:11 Util joined #parrotsketch
18:12 plobsing joined #parrotsketch
18:13 plobsing What I Did:
18:13 plobsing * work on framebuilder (TT#1147)
18:13 plobsing * played with merging auto_libjit with trunk (http://github.com/plobsing/parrot-libjit)
18:13 plobsing * it works on my machine (x86_64, libjit installed) now
18:13 plobsing What I Will Do:
18:13 plobsing * polish libjit framebuilder, help with merge to trunk (if/when that happens)
18:13 plobsing * play with useing auto_libjit as a template for other framebuilders (eg: libffi)
18:13 plobsing * try to get a better handle on where JIT is going
18:14 plobsing EOR
18:15 pmichaud What I did:
18:15 pmichaud * NQP stuff:
18:15 pmichaud ** Added contextual variables, named arguments, modules, class
18:15 pmichaud declarations, private class attributes, methods, 'make' statement,
18:15 pmichaud pir::op access to PIR opcodes, grammars, tokens, rules, regexes,
18:16 pmichaud INIT blocks, unified <noun> with <term>, lexical subroutines,
18:16 pmichaud parameterized regexes, :my declarations in regexes, codeblocks
18:16 pmichaud in regexes, code assertions in regexes, \x and \o escapes in
18:16 pmichaud regexes and double-quoted strings, variable interpolation in
18:16 pmichaud double-quoted strings, a 'make install' target, a --parsetrace
18:16 pmichaud option, perl 6 pod comments, warnings for unsupported or NYI features
18:16 pmichaud ** ... and made the nqp parser and compiler self-hosting.
18:16 pmichaud * Rakudo stuff:
18:16 pmichaud ** Started the new implementation of Rakudo based on the nqp-rx
18:16 pmichaud engine, that is going very well.
18:16 pmichaud ** Have a new implementation of Lists, Parcels and Arrays,
18:16 pmichaud all of which can now have lazy semantics.
18:16 pmichaud ** Fixed constants and containers handling, Rakudo no longer
18:16 pmichaud allows assignment to constant values.
18:16 pmichaud ** Implemented "real" assignment metaoperator parsing (e.g., &infix:<+=>);
18:16 pmichaud Rakudo-ng now builds assignment metaoperators only when needed.
18:16 pmichaud ** Changed subroutines to be stored with the & sigil.
18:16 pmichaud ** Changed Rakudo operators to be "&infix:<+>" instead of "infix:+".
18:16 pmichaud ** Have many of the sanity tests running again; Test.pm compiles
18:16 pmichaud but doesn't run completely yet
18:16 pmichaud * Plumage:
18:16 pmichaud ** Updated Plumage Configure and code to work with nqp-rx, passes
18:16 pmichaud Plumage's test suite.
18:16 pmichaud What I'm doing this week:
18:17 pmichaud * Continuing to work on Rakudo-ng, get us running spectests again
18:17 pmichaud and compiling setting (now called "CORE")
18:17 pmichaud * More minor nqp-rx updates, error message improvements and better
18:17 pmichaud syntax checking
18:17 pmichaud * Profiling the regex engine to find some speed improvements
18:17 pmichaud What I'm blocking on:
18:17 pmichaud * Useful programming time
18:17 pmichaud EOR
18:17 jonathan NQP-rx
18:17 jonathan * As a test-case, tried to compile Rakudo's actions and signature.pm with NQP-rx
18:17 jonathan * Wrote a couple of minor patches for minor issues in NQP
18:17 jonathan * Tweaked a bug or two in the actions.pm that we'd got away with before
18:17 jonathan * Good news for people who wish to switch to NQP-rx.
18:17 jonathan Rakudo
18:17 jonathan * At that point, it mostly all worked again!
18:17 jonathan * Been working on the ng branch with pmichaud++
18:17 jonathan * Got signatures back in place using the Perl 6 binder
18:18 jonathan * Got lexical multis and multi-dispatch back in place
18:18 jonathan * Both are amazingly cleaner in the actions.pm compared to before
18:18 jonathan * We're handling code objects a bit differently now, and more in line with spec
18:18 jonathan * Working out how to handle package declarators cleanly - got something I'm happy with and started coding; expect to land some patches tonight or tomorrow
18:18 jonathan * Foundations for how people will do custom metaclasses and so on
18:18 jonathan * Expect once that is in, we'll be able to continue putting features back really very quickly, and start to bring back the setting later on in the week too
18:18 jonathan * Expecting I can do the multiple return values part of my grant in ng when putting return back in place too
18:18 jonathan In the next week
18:18 jonathan * Rakudo ng branch stuff
18:18 jonathan Blockers
18:18 jonathan * Hours in the day, brain cycles, and electrical maint in my building on Thursday...well, if I read the Slovak sign right, anyway...if not I guess Thursday will be a surprise for me. :-)
18:18 jonathan }
18:20 Util # Done
18:20 Util * Nothing; No time last week through end of this week. Will try again this weekend.
18:20 Util .end
18:21 kj joined #parrotsketch
18:22 kj Report for kjs: In the past weeks started to convert PIRC from using C-strings to STRINGs. This is a work in progress. .end
18:24 NotFound What I did:
18:24 NotFound * Worked on Winxed, is starting to be a very capable compiler.
18:24 NotFound What I will do:
18:24 NotFound * More work on Winxed, look at NCI problems, look at old tickets.
18:24 NotFound EOR
18:31 PacoLinux joined #parrotsketch
18:32 Coke I suspect turning off DST in the us will lose us a few attendees this week.
18:33 Coke Hi, everybody.
18:33 NotFound Don't you people use clocks?
18:33 NotFound Hola
18:33 mikehh hello
18:33 Util Hello
18:33 barney hi
18:33 jonathan hi
18:33 cotto_work hi
18:34 Coke So, it's been a while since i ran meetings that didn't have reports in the meeting. I see no questions are queued up at the moment.
18:35 Coke ISTR that we have been setting weekly goals. Anyone remember our goals for this week?
18:35 Util Weekly focus is on https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/
18:36 Util and in /topic
18:36 Coke Guessing that since the topic mentions 1.6 here, it's out of date.
18:36 Coke dukeleto is late, chromatic is not here... pmichaud, any status on "hll interop" ?
18:36 Coke (I know you've been full out on nqp-rx)
18:36 Coke (also tene, your name is on that.)
18:37 pmichaud hll interop should be coming rsn, actually
18:37 pmichaud the new nqp makes it much easier to prototype and spec such a thing
18:37 Coke ok. leaving it on the pile for next week.
18:37 pmichaud we'll also be able to incorporate the latest design ideas from p6
18:37 pmichaud so, still a little slow, but we're seeing movement
18:37 Coke +1
18:37 Coke japhb: you're down for "working on Parrot standard library (talk to japhb)"
18:38 Coke any status to report? (I see no report from you in backscroll)
18:39 Coke While we're waiting, I'd like to thank everyone who's been helping to close RT tickets. We have 100 to go. It's been about a year since the switch to trac, let's finish this off.
18:39 Coke anyone want to queue any questions?
18:39 pmichaud I don't have any questions beyond what's been posted to parrot-dev (nqp-rx planning)
18:40 Coke an excellent place to ask.
18:40 Coke I think you addressed allison's concerns. I don't recall seeing anything else big.
18:41 pmichaud I'm just waiting for an official yay/nay
18:41 pmichaud or something official-ish
18:42 Coke Ok. I'll add a reply later today.
18:42 Coke barney: any concerns about the upcoming release?
18:42 pmichaud my thinking is that the hll devs all seem to think it would be easier if it was included in core parrot.  Let's try it.  If it doesn't work out, we can remove it from core parrot.
18:42 pmichaud If we aren't able to make a decision by 2.0, then we can mark it as still being experimental in the 2.0 release and kick the decision a bit later.
18:43 barney I see no concerns yet
18:43 Coke pmichaud: [experimental] yup.
18:43 mikehh I vote for core
18:43 * pmichaud posts this to the thread
18:44 * Coke brings up the roadmap for 1.8
18:44 Coke ok, looking at:
18:44 Coke https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/query?status=assigned&amp;status=new&amp;status=reopened&amp;group=status&amp;milestone=1.8
18:45 Coke pmichaud: do you think those are on track for the 1.8 release?
18:46 pmichaud hard to say.  they're likely but not guaranteed
18:46 Coke ok. we'll re-examine in a week.
18:46 pmichaud that would be best.
18:46 Coke pinged c on his one roadmap ticket. there are some unowned there.
18:47 darbelo joined #parrotsketch
18:47 Coke looks like milestone 1.7.0 wasn't marked completed on trac, done that.
18:48 Coke due date for 1.8.0 is wrong. should be 11/17, eys?
18:48 barney yes
18:48 Coke fixed on trac
18:49 Coke we need volunteers for releases 2.1+ whiteknight, you want to coordinate that again?
18:49 whiteknight sure thing
18:50 Coke (and 2.0, but I assumed someone on the board might want to take that one. I don't. =-)
18:50 Coke danke.
18:50 Coke that leaves "bytecode testing framework", "testing sprint" as roadmap items.
18:50 * darbelo volunteers for 2.1+
18:50 Coke kid51 was pushing for coverage reporting so he could test the opcodes.
18:50 Coke so I'm tempted to assign that to him.
18:50 whiteknight darbelo: we can chat in #parrot about it
18:51 Coke I'll ping him this evening to see if he wants to poke people.
18:51 Util bytecode testing framework - mikehh++ has raised a question in the ticket, that I just saw. I am researching it now. Otherwise, no progress.
18:51 mikehh which was that - on testr?
18:51 Coke yes.
18:51 Coke (sort of)
18:52 Util mikehh: yes, your comment was on testr
18:52 Util I think the short answer is: testr *does* satisfy some of the requirements of the ticket, but not all.
18:53 Coke ok. If you could spend some time thinking at it, that would be nice. =-)
18:53 Util It really depends on what we want out of the bytecode testing, which has not been fleshed out enough yet.
18:53 Util (not a reply to Coke)
18:54 Coke feel free to hit the list about that. some of these items came from the PDC years ago with no real detail.
18:54 Coke Anyone blocking on anything?
18:54 Coke (aside from time, etc.)
18:55 Coke RT is down to 99 tickets.
18:55 mikehh getting g++ 4.4 to work - NotFound?
18:55 Coke I thought someone already had 4.4 working?
18:55 Coke (thought I just closed an RT about that.)
18:56 NotFound mikehh: I've updated ubuntu but lacked the time to look at it, got distracted by Winxed.
18:56 Util Mingw-TDM 4.4 works for me on Win32.
18:56 barney 4.4.1 looks fine here, Ubuntu 9.10
18:56 mikehh I am getting g++ build failures with strcmp
18:57 mikehh gcc works fine
18:57 Coke mikehh: is there a ticket?
18:58 mikehh TT #1110
18:58 NotFound mikehh: strcmp?
18:58 NotFound Is not strchr?
18:59 Coke (this is probably a better convo on #parrot), but notfound is your g++ guy.
18:59 mikehh sorry strchr yes
18:59 NotFound Yes, better at #parrot
19:00 Coke Alright. I'm assuming we'll get a few more folks in 30m wondering why the meeting hasn't started yet.
19:01 Coke If you want to hang around for them to dump their reports, that's OK. =-)
19:01 Coke anything else?
19:02 whiteknight nope
19:02 Coke ok. go close some RT tickets, people. See you next week (or in 28m.)
19:02 mikehh I'll stay on for half an hour or so - dukeleto is also due back about now
19:03 Util left #parrotsketch
19:05 rgrau left #parrotsketch
19:16 allison joined #parrotsketch
19:24 Topic for #parrotsketchis now Vision for 2.0: Production Users | Priority for 1.7 : ? | Priority for this week : close RT | https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/ProposedParrotsketchProtocol | Note: This channel is only for our Tuesday status meetings; you probably want #parrot instead.
19:25 Topic for #parrotsketchis now Vision for 2.0: Production Users | Priority for 1.8: Testing Sprint | Priority for this week: closing RT tickets | https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/ProposedParrotsketchProtocol | Note: This channel is only for our Tuesday status meetings; you probably want #parrot instead.
19:28 PacoLinux left #parrotsketch
19:28 Topic for #parrotsketchis now Vision for 2.0: Production Users | Priority for 1.8: Testing Sprint | Priority for this week: close RT tickets | https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/ProposedParrotsketchProtocol | Note: This channel is only for our Tuesday status meetings; you probably want #parrot instead.
19:31 dukeleto 'ello
19:33 * cotto_work gets to do an interview with 10 minutes notice.  volt--
19:34 cotto_work ww.
19:36 japhb dukeleto, we missed it.
19:36 japhb dukeleto, UTC-based meeting time
19:36 dukeleto japhb: i was in another meeting. i knew when it was :)
19:37 dukeleto japhb: we should talk about the nqprx branch of plumage, in #parrot
19:37 japhb dukeleto, well, better than me.  I'll have a conflict for several months now.
19:37 japhb yeah, give me a sec to collect my thoughts, I've got some msgs to go through
19:37 dukeleto japhb: i have the same conflict.
19:38 japhb That seeems ... suboptimal.
19:38 dukeleto japhb: yes.
20:26 darbelo left #parrotsketch
20:26 jonathan left #parrotsketch
20:43 Coke left #parrotsketch
20:49 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
20:56 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
21:13 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
21:17 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
21:17 mikehh left #parrotsketch
21:57 NotFound left #parrotsketch
22:19 Whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
22:39 allison Last week:
22:39 allison - Working my way through the list of tasks I collected last week.
22:39 allison - Closed RT tickets.
22:39 allison - Created a migration guide for the PCC merge changes.
22:39 allison EOR
22:42 allison left #parrotsketch

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary