Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2009-12-15

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:43 plobsing joined #parrotsketch
01:19 Whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
03:59 integral joined #parrotsketch
09:27 treed left #parrotsketch
10:07 Gerd joined #parrotsketch
10:09 Gerd left #parrotsketch
13:37 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
14:24 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
14:38 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
16:58 davidfetter joined #parrotsketch
17:06 gerd joined #parrotsketch
17:58 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
18:02 darbelo joined #parrotsketch
18:14 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
18:14 whiteknight WHAT I DID:
18:14 whiteknight * Work on Matrixy to get varargout/nargout working. Very tricky, no ETA.
18:14 whiteknight * Update Matrixy and PLA to use setup.pir from fperrad++. Improve dependency detection for PLA
18:14 whiteknight * GC planning. Been reading papers and sending emails to paper writers
18:14 whiteknight * Attended developer meeting on Sunday. Big success!
18:14 whiteknight * Looking at plugin opportunities for Pidgin and XChat
18:14 whiteknight WHAT I WILL DO:
18:14 whiteknight * Need to dig some old GC stuff out of my file backup, see if there is anything to build on
18:14 whiteknight * Look at the context_unify3 branch work, get familiarized, see how I can help.
18:14 whiteknight WHAT I AM BLOCKING ON:
18:14 whiteknight * Had a baby, no time, no sleep.
18:14 whiteknight EOR
18:15 bubaflub joined #parrotsketch
18:18 plobsing joined #parrotsketch
18:19 plobsing What I Did:
18:19 plobsing * got fed up with freeze/thaw, created pmc_freeze_cleanup branch
18:19 plobsing What I Plan To Do: # shamelessly stolen from darbelo++
18:19 plobsing * make as much improvement as possible on pmc_freeze_cleanup, remaining backwards compatible. Hopefully, have a new API available before the old one dissapears.
18:19 plobsing * merge back to trunk
18:19 plobsing * create another freeze/thaw cleanup branch for backwards incompatible changes (to land in 2.1)
18:19 plobsing EOR
18:21 japhb DONE:
18:21 japhb * (PARROT)
18:21 japhb * Fix OpenGL configure fail when GLFW is installed
18:21 japhb * Fix OpenGL for gentoo and bleading edge GL headers
18:21 japhb * Attend planning meeting.  Everyone++, very good meeting.
18:21 japhb * Documentation
18:21 japhb * Add/improve comments
18:21 japhb * Update/improve usage info
18:22 japhb * Update existing hacking docs
18:22 japhb * Add more hacking docs
18:22 japhb * Internals
18:22 japhb * Save away a copy of the project metadata at install, remove at uninstall
18:22 japhb * Improve metadata validation, resilience, and error reporting
18:22 japhb * Several other improvements to error reporting
18:22 japhb * Add hash() coercion to Util.nqp
18:22 japhb * New features
18:22 japhb * Add update type 'parrot_setup'
18:22 japhb * Make update fall back to fetch if source dir is missing
18:22 japhb * Make update the default way to start a build cycle
18:22 japhb * Add support for Git submodules
18:22 japhb * Add support for Mercurial repos
18:22 japhb * Add support for Rake build tool
18:22 japhb * Add new project actions: smoke, clean, realclean, uninstall
18:22 japhb * uninstall only works with setup.pir-based projects for now
18:22 japhb * Misc
18:22 japhb * Lots of metadata updates, fperrad++
18:22 japhb * Fix several bugs reported by fperrad++
18:22 japhb * Fix several bugs discovered by me(--,++)
18:22 japhb WIP:
18:22 japhb * Convert remaining Glue.pir items to NQP and move to Util.nqp
18:22 japhb MAD PROPZ:
18:23 japhb * fperrad++   # Testing, suggestions, and metadata updates
18:23 japhb * #ps++, pmichaud++, moritz++, Tene++, (anyone I forgot)++   # Great discussions, and suggestions for improving Plumage messaging outside the Parrot core team
18:23 japhb NEXT UP:
18:23 japhb * Implement messaging suggestions (there were a lot of them, it's going to take a while)
18:23 japhb BLOCKERS:
18:23 japhb * pmichaud decision on details for movement of Util.nqp into nqp-rx repo
18:23 japhb * Fat arrow (=>) syntax in nqp-rx
18:23 japhb EOR
18:23 cotto_work #did:
18:23 cotto_work * applied several patches and closed tickets from JimmyZ++
18:23 cotto_work * wrote some basic profiling docs in docs/dev/profiling.pod
18:23 cotto_work * suggestions on what more is needed are welcome
18:23 cotto_work * make profiling output configurable via PARROT_PROFILING_OUTPUT
18:23 cotto_work * added configurable support for recording annotations to the profiling runcore
18:23 Util * TT #1217
18:23 cotto_work * this causes a 50% slowdown when profiling an nqp-rx compilation of tools/dev/pprof2cg.nqp
18:23 Util * Win32 cage work
18:23 cotto_work #planned:
18:23 Util # Blockers
18:23 cotto_work * change storage of annotations to make it possible to retrieve them iteratively
18:23 cotto_work #blocked?
18:23 Util * Holidays
18:23 cotto_work * not much
18:23 Util * Reduced tuits in general
18:23 cotto_work eor
18:23 Util .end
18:23 japhb akpth
18:24 darbelo Done:
18:24 darbelo * Migrated decnum-dynomcs to fperrad's distutils.pir
18:24 darbelo * Some repo cleanup.
18:24 darbelo * Cleaned up some unnecessary strstart abuse.
18:24 darbelo * Discovered we can't kill strstart without hosing substr() performance.
18:24 darbelo * Started cleanup of pmc_freeze.c with plobsing and tewk.
18:24 darbelo Planned: * Apply fire to pmc_freeze.c until all of the ugly dies. * Fund other structs to prune.
18:24 darbelo Blockers: * That damm circuits assignment.
18:24 darbelo EOR
18:24 Util retrying...
18:25 Util # Done
18:25 Util * Added missing SVN props
18:25 Util * Closed TT #1218. ++bubaflub
18:25 Util * Trying to pin down a Win32 MSVC heisenbug in packfileconstanttable.t.
18:25 Util * Missed big planning meeting.
18:25 Util # Plan for next week:
18:25 Util * Read notes from big planning meeting.
18:25 Util * TT #1217
18:25 Util * Win32 cage work
18:25 Util # Blockers
18:25 Util * Holidays
18:25 Util * Reduced tuits in general
18:25 Util .end
18:25 bubaflub DONE
18:26 bubaflub * Nothing (finals week)
18:26 bubaflub UP NEXT
18:26 bubaflub * More test converting / cage cleaning / TAPIR work
18:26 bubaflub EOR
18:27 Coke joined #parrotsketch
18:27 Coke something something something partcl-nqp
18:27 Coke .EOR
18:28 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
18:28 mikehh What I did since my last report:
18:28 mikehh * building and testing parrot on amd64/i386, with gcc/g++, with and without --optimize
18:28 mikehh * fixing codetest and manifest_tests failures
18:28 mikehh * fixing some tests
18:28 mikehh * got a book on gc and am reading and working through
18:28 mikehh What I intend to do in the next week:
18:28 mikehh * testing and fixing
18:28 mikehh * investigate gc some more
18:28 mikehh .eor
18:29 barney joined #parrotsketch
18:30 japhb o/ everyone
18:30 darbelo Hola
18:30 Util Hello
18:30 cotto_work hi
18:30 darbelo ENOCHROMATIC
18:31 darbelo ENOALLISON
18:31 bubaflub a massive amount of work this week japhb++
18:31 bubaflub (high five)
18:32 japhb bubaflub, yeah, it was a good week for me.
18:32 japhb Thanks!
18:32 mikehh hello
18:32 whiteknight hello
18:34 japhb Anyone want to lead this?
18:34 chromatic joined #parrotsketch
18:34 japhb yay!  # and there was much rejoicing
18:35 darbelo great timing :)
18:35 whiteknight save us obi-wan chromatic
18:35 chromatic Last week's goals.
18:35 chromatic How's the context unification branch?
18:36 whiteknight not building still
18:36 whiteknight at least, not where I looked
18:37 mikehh couple of failures on coretest
18:37 mikehh builds with make corevm
18:37 chromatic How did the documentation priority go?
18:38 whiteknight I don't think that got tackled
18:38 chromatic I saw a few documentation patches.
18:39 cotto_work I wrote some docs, but only for profiling.
18:39 chromatic pmichaud patched some of PDD 31, if I recall correctly.
18:39 whiteknight i think that's design draft, not docs
18:40 chromatic Any progress on the vtable oferride?
18:40 cotto_work I can make it my business to read through the PackFile pdd and update as needed, since I'll be in the pf code anyway.
18:40 chromatic Please do.
18:41 cotto_work ok
18:41 chromatic What's our priority for the coming week?  It needs to fit in with what's left for 2.0.
18:42 whiteknight context_unify3
18:42 chromatic Anything else?  Documentation?
18:43 Coke speed?
18:43 chromatic See context_unify3.
18:43 Coke hokay.
18:43 darbelo User-level docs, maybe a HLL-writing tutorial.
18:44 darbelo The one we had uses deprecated APIs and tools.
18:44 whiteknight a good tutorial would be nice
18:45 Util double check that existing tutorials have been updated to still work
18:45 chromatic That's a very good one.
18:45 chromatic Any objections?
18:45 cotto_work +1
18:45 whiteknight +1
18:45 pmichaud here (sorry I'm late)
18:46 NotFound joined #parrotsketch
18:46 pmichaud I put together some new tools last week for writing HLLs, just need to start writing the tutorial
18:46 chromatic Excellent.
18:47 chromatic Let's move on.
18:47 chromatic Do we have any nominees for commit access this week?
18:48 cotto_work Has JimmyZ been nominated?
18:49 darbelo Not that I recall.
18:49 cotto_work Now he has. ;)
18:49 chromatic I believe something was wrong with his CLA signature and particle asked him to submit again.
18:50 particle aye.
18:50 particle meeting &
18:51 chromatic Topics of concern?
18:51 bubaflub q1q
18:51 chromatic I saw a suggestion in the Sunday/Monday meeeting that every committer try to report at least one closed bug in the #ps reports every week.
18:51 chromatic That is, a bug you closed the past week.
18:51 chromatic bubaflub?
18:52 cotto_work chromatic, +1.  We should make that part of the initial report.
18:52 bubaflub oh, i was just going to do my weekly/fortnightly asking if ya'll received my CLA yet
18:52 japhb Agreed.  Would have done it this week, except I forgot.  And it was even at the top of my list of things not to forget -- which I forgot to look at.
18:52 japhb (to bug in #ps report)
18:52 cotto_work same here
18:53 Coke (bug you closed) WFM
18:54 chromatic particle, did you see bubaflub's CLA?
18:54 chromatic Oh, yes.  We did.
18:54 particle aye, received and added to the pafo cla list google doc
18:54 chromatic Do we need someone to flip his bit?
18:54 particle i haven't scanned and saved in the dropbox yet
18:55 particle i don't know, i assume so
18:56 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
18:56 chromatic We can make that happen.
18:56 chromatic Other questions?
18:57 bubaflub about the reporting - we aren't assuming there is a 1-1 correspondence between bugs <-> tickets, right?
18:57 bubaflub perhaps someone committed on something that wasn't in a ticket, or multiple bugs in a ticket, etc.
18:58 chromatic Right, the guideline is "Please try to close at least one bug ticket every week".
18:58 bubaflub chromatic: ok.  that settles the matter.
18:58 bubaflub no more questions here
18:58 chromatic Anything else to discuss?
18:59 darbelo Are we doing roadmap review?
18:59 Coke we just did that.
19:00 Coke (on the weekend). I think we can skip it this week.
19:00 darbelo I meant the 'shuffle milestone tickets' part, but that was done on sunday.
19:01 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
19:01 darbelo So I'm guessing 'no'.
19:02 chromatic Right.
19:02 chromatic How's the release look?
19:02 mikehh All tests pass for me (up to fulltest)
19:03 mikehh I have run with different variants
19:03 chromatic Excellent.
19:04 chromatic Anyone else have anything?
19:04 mikehh still want to revisit TT #13286 - after the release
19:04 mikehh |TT #1368
19:04 chromatic yes please
19:05 chromatic Let's call this a week.  Good work, everyone.
19:06 Coke ~~
19:06 Coke left #parrotsketch
19:06 cotto_work That was speedy.
19:06 chromatic Efficient.
19:06 bubaflub left #parrotsketch
19:08 chromatic left #parrotsketch
19:08 NotFound Reporting late:
19:08 NotFound What I did:
19:08 NotFound - parrot
19:08 NotFound * Some testing and fixing,
19:08 NotFound - Winxed
19:08 NotFound * Implementing more features in stage 1.
19:08 NotFound What I wiil do:
19:08 NotFound * No fixed plan.
19:08 NotFound EOR
19:10 NotFound left #parrotsketch
19:12 pmichaud left #parrotsketch
19:30 PacoLinux left #parrotsketch
19:37 plobsing left #parrotsketch
19:43 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
20:08 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
20:11 * dukeleto missed the meeting. doh.
20:12 spinclad fastest meeting ever.

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary