Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2010-08-24

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:24 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
01:44 eternaleye left #parrotsketch
01:45 eternaleye joined #parrotsketch
01:45 eternaleye left #parrotsketch
01:46 eternaleye joined #parrotsketch
01:47 eternaleye left #parrotsketch
01:47 eternaleye joined #parrotsketch
02:18 tcurtis joined #parrotsketch
02:25 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
06:17 integral left #parrotsketch
06:17 integral joined #parrotsketch
07:02 tcurtis left #parrotsketch
07:52 integral left #parrotsketch
07:54 integral joined #parrotsketch
11:07 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
11:08 kid51 kid51's report
11:08 kid51 * Tried to close several old tickets.
11:08 kid51 * http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1255: PARROT_EXPORT visibility in gcc 3.3: will close tomorrow unless someone objects.
11:08 kid51 * http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1725: headerizer.pl documentation: will close tomorrow unless someone objects.
11:08 kid51 * http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1751: links to DEPRECATED.pod: ticket opened by Paul_the_Greek; made small changes, had discussion
11:08 kid51 * http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/677: what should go in tools/dev/, tools/build/, etc?:  developing proposal; please see ticket.
11:08 kid51 * http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1750: packfile testing problems on Darwin/PPC:  still befuddled; sometimes tests pass, sometimes they don't
11:09 kid51 * Posted comments in several tickets owned by mikehh and others stating that I thought such tickets were now closable.
11:09 kid51 EOR
12:11 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
12:11 kid51 left #parrotsketch
12:11 integral left #parrotsketch
12:11 PerlJam left #parrotsketch
12:11 pmichaud left #parrotsketch
12:12 contingencyplan left #parrotsketch
12:12 Coke left #parrotsketch
12:12 Util left #parrotsketch
12:12 cotto left #parrotsketch
12:12 Tene left #parrotsketch
12:14 PerlJam joined #parrotsketch
12:23 integral joined #parrotsketch
12:48 Tene joined #parrotsketch
12:48 cotto joined #parrotsketch
12:48 Util joined #parrotsketch
12:48 Coke joined #parrotsketch
12:48 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
12:48 pmichaud joined #parrotsketch
15:17 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
15:29 tcurtis joined #parrotsketch
15:52 cotto_work joined #parrotsketch
16:03 SingAlong joined #parrotsketch
17:31 mikehh left #parrotsketch
17:42 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
18:30 mikehh What I did since my last report:
18:30 mikehh * released parrot 2.7.0
18:30 mikehh - my daughter-in-law had a stroke (fortunately mild) on Sunday night (15th)
18:30 mikehh - this resulted my missing most of Monday and Tuesday before the release
18:30 mikehh - I got everything ready after #ps last week, somehow managed to overwrite
18:30 mikehh - the NEWS I had been keeping updated and had to re-create it from scratch,
18:30 mikehh - but after making the changes had a test failure in t/pmc/threads.t
18:30 mikehh - (not in trunk, just the release directory) I eventually committed what I
18:30 mikehh - had got to see if anyone else had the problem. I then did a clean checkout
18:30 mikehh - to a new directory and that passed all tests. Still have not worked out
18:30 mikehh - what the problem was.  Tagged the release and with help from cotto++ got it
18:30 mikehh - up on the site. Put a release notice on Parrot.org then, being totally
18:30 mikehh - exhausted had to get some sleep.  When I woke up, I posted other notices,
18:30 mikehh - not sure if I got everything, or if I missed anything.  The rest of the
18:30 mikehh - week was a complete write-off, getting family business sorted.
18:30 mikehh - Only managed to get back to building and testing parrot today.
18:30 mikehh - (excuse the long post - just had to rant/comment a bit)
18:30 mikehh * building and testing parrot on amd64/i386, with gcc/g++
18:30 mikehh * some fixes
18:30 mikehh What I intend to do in the next week:
18:30 mikehh * what I intended to do last week
18:30 mikehh * work on html_cleanup branch
18:30 mikehh * testing and fixing
18:30 mikehh .eor
18:52 plobsing joined #parrotsketch
18:55 TimToady joined #parrotsketch
18:57 nwellnhof joined #parrotsketch
18:57 nwellnhof What I did
18:57 nwellnhof * got my commit bit
18:58 nwellnhof * started to hang out on #parrot
18:58 nwellnhof * finished my GC timing fixes
18:58 nwellnhof * fixed some GC leaks
18:59 nwellnhof * optimized hash access
19:00 nwellnhof * closed TT#1603, #1465, #945, #1121 and #1737
19:00 nwellnhof Plans/ideas
19:02 nwellnhof * distinction between charset and encoding for strings doesn't make sense
19:02 nwellnhof - they could be merged which would simplify the code
19:03 nwellnhof * hash cloning could be optimized by storing bucket indices instead of bucket pointers in hashes
19:03 nwellnhof EOR
19:16 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
19:20 whiteknight WHAT I DID:
19:20 whiteknight * Still working on PLA.
19:20 whiteknight * Improved support for BLAS (including support for the reference version written in Fortran)
19:20 whiteknight * Adding support for LAPACK, looking for a sane way to add an interface to it without going overboard in bloat
19:20 whiteknight * Ran into a problem in distutils (#1755) that makes life a little harder
19:20 whiteknight * Following along with all the activity in GC and Hash code. +1 on everybody's effort!
19:20 whiteknight WHAT I WILL DO:
19:20 whiteknight * Continue work on PLA to get LAPACK bindings up and working
19:20 whiteknight ROADBLOCKS:
19:20 whiteknight * None
19:24 particle1 is now known as particle
19:28 cotto_work #done:
19:28 cotto_work - good progress on the github plugin
19:28 cotto_work - can detect links (git and svn) and redirect them to github correctly
19:28 cotto_work - stub tooltip support (will expand shortly)
19:29 cotto_work - co-conspirator: dafrito++ for bugfixes and a testing tool
19:29 cotto_work - trac-- for having a strange and unclearly documented plugin interface
19:29 cotto_work - I should have something to play with by next #ps
19:29 cotto_work - code is at http://github.com/cotto/github-trac
19:29 cotto_work #hope to:
19:29 cotto_work - finish the github plugin, set up a test site to show how it works
19:29 cotto_work #eor
19:30 Coke Did: hacked on partcl-nqp, some TT (parrot) and RT (rakudo) chasing. Will miss #ps this week due to work.
19:31 Coke will: hack on partcl-nqp.
19:31 Coke .eor
19:48 dukeleto joined #parrotsketch
19:49 plobsing ~                                                                                                           What I Did:
19:50 plobsing * not much (no internet access for a while)
19:50 plobsing * a couple rakudo startup improvements
19:50 plobsing What I Plan:
19:50 plobsing * more rakudo startup speedups
19:50 plobsing * eliminate costly collision checking in hash thaw
19:50 plobsing * manipulate packfiles more efficiently in imageio
19:50 plobsing * land gsoc_nci branch
19:50 plobsing EOR
19:59 dukeleto What I did:
19:59 dukeleto * Worked on parrot github mirror. I now have a MooseX::Runnable app that will sync
19:59 dukeleto all svn branches to github, created new git tags from svn tags and remove dead
19:59 dukeleto branches from github when they are deleted from svn. Still needs some docs,
19:59 dukeleto and could be abstracted for other projects, but this is what it looks like now:
19:59 dukeleto http://github.com/leto/Util/blob/master/perl_lib/App/Mirror/Parrot.pm
19:59 dukeleto * Did GSoC stuff
20:00 dukeleto * Tried to close some tickets
20:00 dukeleto * Worked on PL/Parrot. Running into this coredump http://gist.github.com/546982
20:00 dukeleto on this PL/Parrot branch: http://github.com/leto/plparrot/tree/global_grammar
20:00 dukeleto * Gave a talk about PL/Parrot at PDXPUG, slides :
20:00 dukeleto http://github.com/leto/presentations/raw/master/2010/PDXPUG/pres.pdf
20:00 dukeleto What I will do:
20:00 dukeleto * Setup the parrot github mirror so that it is run from feather or some other server.
20:00 dukeleto Currently I am running it manually to make sure it does not set things on fire.
20:00 dukeleto * Stuff
20:00 dukeleto Blocking on:
20:00 dukeleto * IRL
20:00 dukeleto .EOR
20:04 tcurtis What I did:
20:04 tcurtis * Not much Parrot-wise.
20:04 tcurtis * Tried unsuccessfully to switch IO.readall to use a StringBuilder.
20:04 tcurtis * Blog post shortly.
20:04 tcurtis * Relaxed a bit after GSoC.
20:05 tcurtis What I will do:
20:05 tcurtis * Upload GSoC tarball to googlecode.
20:05 tcurtis * Hopefully work on tree-optimization some.
20:05 tcurtis EOR
20:05 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
20:06 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
20:07 atrodo joined #parrotsketch
20:14 smash joined #parrotsketch
20:17 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
20:30 masak joined #parrotsketch
20:30 cotto_work helol
20:30 mikehh hi there
20:30 tcurtis Hi.
20:30 dukeleto hola hola hola (oatmeal and granola)
20:30 nwellnhof hi everyone
20:31 cotto_work dukeleto: can you lead this thing?
20:32 dukeleto cotto_work: yeah
20:32 dukeleto Welcome to the weekly Parrot Dev meeting. Please buckle up.
20:33 mikehh click click
20:33 dukeleto so how did we do on our goals for the week? I am pretty sure we closed more than 13 tickets
20:33 cotto_work That was a good goal.  We should try it again.
20:33 mikehh yes - gotta a couple to close still
20:34 nwellnhof But this time *everyone* closes 13 tickets ;)
20:34 NotFound joined #parrotsketch
20:35 particle you first.
20:35 nwellnhof just kidding
20:35 NotFound Sorry, will report later.
20:35 dukeleto anybody have any comments about what we accomplished in the last week? critiques or condemnations?
20:35 particle dafrito's cla arrived.
20:36 cotto_work good news there
20:36 particle have we "accomplished" the vote for the parrot board?
20:36 dukeleto voting is open until the end of the month
20:36 mikehh I think smash was working on that
20:37 particle oh, right, i forgot it's another week still.
20:37 particle vote early, vote often!
20:37 cotto_work Should there be something on parrot.org about that?
20:38 particle seems like a newsworthy item, indeed.
20:39 particle would you mind contacting smash about that?
20:39 cotto_work np
20:41 * dukeleto will tell @parrotvm/!parrot about the board election as well
20:42 dukeleto let's talk about which goals we want for this week
20:42 mikehh maybe to the list as well
20:42 dukeleto anything critical that we should all know about?
20:43 nwellnhof i have some plans for the string subsystem
20:44 nwellnhof i think the current distinction between charsets and encodings doesn't make sense
20:44 mikehh the g++ build is broke at the moment, dunno how critical that is
20:45 nwellnhof charsets and encodings should be merged IMO
20:45 dukeleto nwellnhof: that sounds like you should make an RFC ticket and email parrot-dev about it
20:45 dukeleto mikehh: that is critical as well
20:45 mikehh darbelo has been working on that
20:45 nwellnhof dukeleto: ok
20:46 mikehh charsets and encodings that is
20:46 NotFound mikehh: I'll take a look at the c++ as soon as possible
20:46 mikehh NotFound: tried fixing it but got more broken
20:47 dukeleto looks like we closed 14 tickets this past week, according to http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/query?status=closed&col=id&col=summary&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&col=reporter&col=owner&col=time&col=changetime&report=11&desc=1&order=changetime
20:47 nwellnhof didn't plobsing fix the g++ build 65 minutes ago?
20:48 dukeleto i think http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1746 needs more eyes as well. Segfaults from Rakudo means a deep bug.
20:48 plobsing nwellnhof: I thought I did
20:48 mikehh might have done - haven't tested yet
20:49 dukeleto Shall we make our goal for the week to close 20 tickets? Is that reasonable?
20:49 cotto_work +1
20:49 dukeleto we have 676 open tickets
20:49 tcurtis +1
20:50 nwellnhof but not all of the open tickets are bugs
20:50 NotFound r48638 builds for me
20:50 dukeleto nwellnhof: yes, you are correct. And not all bugs have tickets :)
20:51 dukeleto closing 20 tickets would mean closing about 3% of our tickets in one week, which is a nice goal
20:51 dukeleto do we want to make a stipulation that a few important TT's should be included in that 20, or make it any 20?
20:51 nwellnhof we have 305 open bug tickets
20:52 nwellnhof 149 todo
20:52 cotto_work dukeleto: narrowing down the scope might make it easier to pick a ticket and run with it
20:52 dukeleto cotto_work: sure. how do you want to narrow the scope?
20:52 NotFound Some todo should be rfc
20:52 cotto_work no useful idea
20:53 NotFound But usually no one comments on rft, so it doesn't matter %-)
20:53 NotFound s/rft/rfc
20:53 dukeleto I think we should concentrate on closing open bug tickets, but I think lowering the total number of open TT's is a good thing. 676 open tickets is ... a lot.
20:54 dukeleto NotFound:  i hear ya. Maybe we need a better-defined RFC process.
20:54 NotFound dukeleto: we can create an RFC to discuss that X-)
20:54 dukeleto nwellnhof: so how about "Close 20 TT's this week, concentrating on open bug tickets" ? Sound reasonable?
20:55 dukeleto ERECURSIVERFCPROCESS
20:55 nwellnhof +1
20:55 dukeleto ok, we have a goal for the week.
20:55 cotto_work FWIW, I'd be glad to help anyone who wants to help hack on the github trac plugin set up a test environment.
20:55 dukeleto cotto_work: i can help on the front where the trac plugin needs to talk to the github mirror
20:56 dukeleto So, i think we are now at the quiz-show portion of the meeting. Questions?
20:57 mikehh anything happened with smolder?
20:57 dukeleto i haven't heard anything. last i heard, particle was talkign to OSU folks
20:58 dukeleto tcurtis++ # blog posts much appreciated
20:59 dukeleto The smolder situation is ... suboptimal.
21:00 nwellnhof what's the deal with smolder?
21:01 dukeleto our current smolder server is down. this means that "make smoke" has nowhere to post test reports
21:01 dukeleto this makes people sad
21:01 nwellnhof i see
21:01 dukeleto we may need to look into other options for receiving test reports
21:01 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
21:02 dukeleto wouldn't it be nice if we can something piggyback onto CPANtesters or something?
21:02 dukeleto s/something/somehow/
21:02 dukeleto having to run our own server to accept test results requires maintenance
21:05 mikehh smoke/smolder allows us to look at problems on other platforms than your own
21:05 dukeleto I think we should bring this issue to parrot-dev and continue with the meeting, though.
21:05 dukeleto Any other questions?
21:06 mikehh taptinder is of use there but it is x86 - 32 and 64 bit only
21:07 dukeleto taptinder is saving our feathers right now. Without taptinder, we would be running blindly.
21:07 mikehh sure, but we need test results from other platforms, including sparc, arm and power
21:08 dukeleto I think we should talk about git and github a bit. As a community, which features of github do we want to use?
21:08 dukeleto mikehh: agreed. Everyone wants more tests on more platforms.
21:09 nwellnhof does anyone regurlarly test on windows?
21:09 nwellnhof i think there are a lot of windows related tickets
21:09 mikehh taptinder does
21:10 mikehh http://tt.taptinder.org/
21:10 nwellnhof http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/search?ticket=on&q=windows
21:11 mikehh it runs builds/tests whenever there is a new revision
21:12 dukeleto anything else that needs to be talked about  in #ps, or shall we go back to #parrot ?
21:12 mikehh we were going to look at git and github?
21:13 dukeleto I think #ps is the right place to talk about what we want to accomplish this week regarding converting to git, but this is not the place for extensive discussions. Those are for #parrot and parrot-dev
21:14 dukeleto cotto_work: can you give a quick status report on your github trac plugin and what we can expect in the next week?
21:14 dukeleto cotto_work: does it talk to the parrot github mirror ?
21:19 dukeleto I think we should close this #ps and take other questions to #parrot and parrot-dev. Good luck to everyone in our quest to close 20 tickets!
21:19 * dukeleto goes back to #parrot
21:20 nwellnhof left #parrotsketch
21:27 masak left #parrotsketch
21:33 atrodo left #parrotsketch
21:35 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
21:57 dduncan joined #parrotsketch
22:04 dduncan left #parrotsketch
22:17 mikehh left #parrotsketch
22:20 plobsing left #parrotsketch
22:23 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
23:21 smash left #parrotsketch

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary