Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2010-12-07

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:27 lucian left #parrotsketch
00:35 kid51 is now known as kid51_at_dinner
01:39 kid51_at_dinner is now known as kid51
03:07 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
03:19 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
03:21 kid51_ joined #parrotsketch
03:25 kid51 left #parrotsketch
03:38 kid51_ left #parrotsketch
07:52 bacek joined #parrotsketch
09:00 lucian joined #parrotsketch
11:16 contingencyplan left #parrotsketch
13:11 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
13:45 bacek left #parrotsketch
15:05 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
15:20 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
16:54 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
18:25 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
18:31 whiteknight WHAT I DID:
18:31 whiteknight * Went to PDS. Meeting was a great success. Thanks everybody!
18:31 whiteknight * Been talking to cotto++ about roadmaps. We have a general sketchup of the process, will try to lay out a real roadmap for 4.0 sometime in January probably.
18:31 whiteknight * Fixing and marketing the embed_api2 branch. General testing on all platforms would be appreciated now. Hoping to be mergable shortly after 2.11.
18:31 whiteknight * Tried to update parrot_debugger to the new API, gave up. Still have to try to update pbc_merge, which may be difficult.
18:31 whiteknight * Exploring architectural ideas for a new bootstrapped JavaScript compiler. Will blog about that soon.
18:31 whiteknight WHAT I WILL DO:
18:31 whiteknight * Continue working on embed_api2
18:31 whiteknight * Directors have a phone meeting with SFLC, will likely have to leave the #ps meeting early.
18:33 bacek joined #parrotsketch
18:45 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
19:23 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
19:42 tcurtis joined #parrotsketch
20:01 Util # Done
20:01 Util * Attended PDS
20:01 Util # Plan to do:
20:01 Util * pbc_to_exe work
20:01 Util * embed_api branch inspection
20:01 Util # 7-day ticket report:
20:01 Util curl -s 'http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ti​meline?daysback=7&amp;ticket=on' | perl -wlne '/<em[^>]+\(([^"]+)\)">/ or next; $h{$1}++; END {printf "%7d\t%s\n", $h{$_}, $_ for sort keys %h}'
20:01 Util 22 closed: *
20:02 Util 7 new
20:02 Util 1 reopened
20:02 Util .end
20:02 Util (may be late to #ps)
20:24 allison joined #parrotsketch
20:26 allison - Submitted Debian packages for 2.9.1 to our sponsors, pending review.
20:26 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
20:26 allison - Some work on Parrot Foundation.
20:26 allison EOR
20:26 kid51 kid51's report
20:26 kid51 Helped test embed_api2 branch
20:27 kid51 Participated in, wrote action point summary of, Parrot Developer Summit
20:27 kid51 EOR
20:32 kid51 Addendum: More work increasing test coverage on tt532_headerizer_refactor branch
20:32 kid51 Who is here?
20:32 atrodo joined #parrotsketch
20:33 allison hi
20:33 cotto_work late report:
20:33 cotto_work *did:
20:33 cotto_work - approved/reviewed some gci tasks
20:33 cotto_work - blogged about a new way of running the roadmap - http://reparrot.blogspot.com/2010​/12/roadmaps-fact-or-fiction.html
20:33 cotto_work - went on a ticket rampage
20:33 cotto_work - didn't do nearly enough damage
20:33 cotto_work - read some papers
20:33 cotto_work - PDS: good times
20:33 cotto_work *will do:
20:33 cotto_work - more gci review/approval
20:33 cotto_work - ramp up on Lorito, figure out knowns, unknowns and questions
20:33 cotto_work - will have a face-to-face Lorito brain dump on the 9th with allison and chromatic
20:33 cotto_work - if you have any burning questions, ask me or put them on LoritoDesignQuestions
20:34 cotto_work *blockers:
20:34 cotto_work - none
20:34 cotto_work *eor
20:34 cotto_work well, barely not ;)
20:34 whiteknight hello
20:34 cotto_work hi
20:34 kid51 Who is chairing?
20:35 whiteknight I'm leaving early, so not me
20:35 cotto_work I'll do it.
20:35 kid51 k
20:35 whiteknight it's your world, boss
20:35 cotto_work How did we do on the week's goals?
20:35 kid51 PDS: very good
20:35 cotto_work agreed
20:35 kid51 Google Code-In:   Very impressed with student contributors.
20:36 kid51 Friday night:  They were all hanging out here!
20:36 whiteknight yes, PDS went extremely well and GCI continues on like a freight train
20:36 whiteknight Did MappedByteArray merge ok? I haven't seen anything about it
20:37 kid51 Neither have I.  It's still in repo.
20:37 kid51 ISTR having problems building it on Linux.
20:37 * Util arrives late
20:38 kid51 I don't recall seeing anything re:  'make cover' or GC algorithm review.
20:38 cotto_work We should make an effort to test that and get it into master this week if it's ready.
20:38 whiteknight I looked at the GC algorithm, but haven't posted any thoughts on it yet
20:38 whiteknight probably needs a re-read
20:38 kid51 Who is leading mappedbytearray?  Nick?  Peter?
20:38 whiteknight NotFound I thought
20:39 cotto_work whiteknight: that was my impression
20:39 fbrito joined #parrotsketch
20:39 NotFound joined #parrotsketch
20:39 kid51 he's on his way over
20:40 NotFound Hola
20:40 kid51 NotFound: is mappedbytearry your bambino?
20:40 NotFound It is
20:40 cotto_work NotFound: what's the status of mappedbytearray?
20:40 dukeleto joined #parrotsketch
20:40 NotFound cotto_work: working fine in my tests, no reports for other platforms
20:41 * dukeleto almost forgot #ps
20:41 cotto_work NotFound: what's your platform?
20:41 kid51 NotFound: ISTR some problems building it, but I'll have to try it again.
20:41 cotto_work we need testing on platforms that aren't that one.
20:41 NotFound Linux x86/amd64 and XP/Strawberry
20:41 whiteknight I can do a Win64/MSVC tomorrow
20:42 kid51 I'll do darwin/ppc and linux/i386
20:42 cotto_work kid51, whiteknight: thanks
20:42 cotto_work how good is its test coverage?
20:43 NotFound Low, I was expecting minimal support results before improving them.
20:44 cotto_work So it sounds like the PMC needs more work before we should merge and start telling people to use it.
20:44 cotto_work but that we should encourage people to hack on it
20:44 cotto_work does that sounds accurate?
20:45 NotFound cotto_work: is already merged, and declared experimental in DEPRECATED.pod
20:45 cotto_work so it is
20:45 NotFound TT #1599
20:46 NotFound Ups, no...
20:46 NotFound TT #1877
20:46 dukeleto What I did: * Worked on my TPF grant in the leto/embed-grant branch * Improved our git docs to be less confusing and work on older gits as well as address various concerns from Parrot devs * Improved our README after one of GCI students added git info * Did various GCI things
20:46 dukeleto What I will do: * Hack on my TPF grant * Write a few parrot blog posts, especially on Parrot on Mobile devices and our new MOP
20:46 dukeleto Blocking on: * Time
20:46 dukeleto .EOR
20:46 * dukeleto shakes fists at misplaced newlines
20:46 kid51 Hmm, I don't see mappedbytearray branch now:  git branch -a | grep mapped
20:46 dukeleto kid51: it is merged
20:47 kid51 Well, then I guess I don't need to test it :-)
20:47 cotto_work NotFound: should people try to use it, expecting to find issues and extending it as the need arises?
20:47 NotFound cotto_work: I think so
20:48 dukeleto kid51: just look at http://github.com/parrot/parrot/branches to see if a branch exists
20:48 cotto_work What would be a good use for it?
20:48 NotFound kid51: The branch was deleted short after the merge
20:50 NotFound cotto_work: reading big files, mainly, and also as sort of shared memory while we don't have a more specific way for that.
20:51 dukeleto NotFound: PL/Parrot may have a good use for it
20:51 NotFound dukeleto: nice
20:51 cotto_work ok
20:52 cotto_work If nothing else, we could implement a simple md5sum tool as a test case.  That might even make a good gci task.
20:52 * dukeleto will be calling the Parrot Foundation conf call in a few mins and will be pre-occupied
20:52 NotFound cotto_work: good idea
20:53 cotto_work any volunteers to write up the task and make sure it gets on the gci site?
20:53 whiteknight I can do that tonight
20:53 cotto_work great
20:53 cotto_work Is there anything I'm missing before we move on to questions?
20:53 whiteknight no
20:54 cotto_work Alright.  whiteknight, I imagine that you have a few questions.
20:54 whiteknight none today
20:54 cotto_work ok.  Anyone else?
20:54 kid51 What is the remaining timespan for GCI?
20:54 whiteknight I think it runs till mid-january
20:54 whiteknight I need to double-check the timeline
20:54 cotto_work I believe it ends on the 10th
20:54 whiteknight we have plenty of time though
20:54 kid51 q1q
20:55 cotto_work kid51: go ahead
20:55 cotto_work q1q
20:55 kid51 Not a ? really, but post-PDS follow-up.
20:55 kid51 If you blog about Parrot, (a) get registered on planet.parrotcode.org, (b) post name of your blog on parrot-dev and appropriate location on wiki.
20:55 kid51 Beginning this weekend, I will check those blogs, particularly those of any people named in my post-PDS follow-up email.
20:55 kid51 Between Jan 2 and 15, expect to be nudged by me about converting your blogs into a succinct summary posted on parrot-dev in preparation for next PDS, to be held weekend of Jan 29-30 2011.
20:55 cotto_work what's the appropriate location on the wiki?
20:55 whiteknight From the GCI wiki: "January 10, 2011, 12:00 AM Pacific Time / 08:00 UTC: All work stops"
20:56 kid51 I haven't looked that up yet.
20:56 kid51 I will post later.
20:56 kid51 Your blog posts can be more personal; rants okay.  But will hone it into a proper report prior to summit.
20:59 kid51 That's it for me.  Have PaFo conference call.
20:59 whiteknight ditto. will be back later, if the meeting is still happening
21:00 cotto_work my question (or comment) I wrote up a blog post about how I'd like to run roadmaps in the future, based on a brief chat whiteknight and I had.  I'd appreciate feedback.
21:00 cotto_work now or later is fine
21:01 cotto_work eoq from me
21:01 cotto_work any other questions or comments?
21:04 cotto_work Alright.  Our goal for the week is to increase test coverage of mappedbytearray and hopefully to write a demo to use it.
21:04 cotto_work Closing tickets is also a generally good idea.
21:10 bacek_at_work joined #parrotsketch
21:10 Topic for #parrotsketch is now Priorities for this week: MappedByteArray increase coverage & write demo, Google Code-In | Don't forget to post closed tickets in your report. | Note: This channel is only for our Tuesday status meetings (at 20:30 UTC); you probably want #parrot instead. | irclog: http://irc.pugscode.org/
21:10 bacek_at_work ~~
21:11 cotto_work bacek_at_work: short meeting today.  It's already over.
21:11 bacek_at_work cotto_work, ok then
21:19 chromatic joined #parrotsketch
21:20 chromatic left #parrotsketch
21:21 NotFound left #parrotsketch
21:35 fbrito left #parrotsketch
21:42 atrodo left #parrotsketch
21:57 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
22:00 kid51 left #parrotsketch
22:20 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
23:43 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary