Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2010-12-21

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:58 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
02:08 kid51 kid51's report
02:08 kid51 WORKED ON:
02:08 kid51 * Completed headerizer refactor (TT #532).
02:08 kid51 * In response to GCI students taking on tasks to boost our coverage of code by tests, created new 'make' target 'make quickcover'.  Please review TT #1893; will close after #ps.
02:08 kid51 * Some pre-release testing on Linux and Darwin; some testing on embed_api2 branch.
02:09 kid51 * TT #1044: Wrote program to display differences between master and nwellnhof/compiler_flags branches re how settings to Parrot::Configure elements evolve over the course of configuration.  This may be useful empirical data for ongoing discussion between nwellnhof and doughera.
02:09 kid51 WILL TRY TO WORK ON:
02:09 kid51 * Resume work on TT #855: profiling options too specific to GCC.
02:09 kid51 NOTICE:
02:09 kid51 * Parrot Foundation members:  Please check your email from parrot-members list.  Review draft of minutes of annual meeting.
02:09 kid51 * If at recent Parrot Developer Summit, you pledged to blog and/or prepare drafts of proposals, please get busy.  After January 1 I will start poking you in preparation for next summit to be held weekend of Jan 29-30.
02:09 kid51 EOR
03:04 contingencyplan left #parrotsketch
03:26 kid51 left #parrotsketch
04:29 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
09:06 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
10:57 contingencyplan left #parrotsketch
11:29 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
11:43 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
14:09 mikehh left #parrotsketch
14:27 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
17:17 Coke left #parrotsketch
17:23 Coke joined #parrotsketch
17:38 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
17:51 atrodo joined #parrotsketch
18:10 whiteknight WHAT I DID:
18:10 whiteknight * Worked on embed_api4. Updated to master, and all tests are now passing (including docs and codestd. bluescreen++)
18:10 whiteknight * Tested like a madman for the release
18:10 whiteknight * Destroyed my laptop...again. Can't really do any primary development again until I fix/replace it
18:10 whiteknight * Released 2.11.0 "At The ROFLBBQ"
18:10 whiteknight WHAT I WILL DO:
18:10 whiteknight * Try to fix my laptop
18:10 whiteknight * Get embed_api4 merged to trunk
18:10 whiteknight WHAT I AM BLOCKING ON:
18:10 whiteknight * My laptop being T3H SUXXOR
18:16 Topic for #parrotsketch is now Priorities for this week: MappedByteArray increase coverage & write demo, Google Code-In | Post closed tickets in your report. | Note: This channel is for our Tuesday status meetings (at 20:30 UTC); you probably want #parrot instead. | irclog: http://irclog.perlgeek.de/parrotsketch/today
19:29 NotFound joined #parrotsketch
19:44 Coke left #parrotsketch
19:46 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
19:51 NotFound 2010-dec-21:
19:51 NotFound What I did:
19:51 NotFound -parrot
19:51 NotFound * Added a bunch of tests, fixed and imrpoved some more
19:51 NotFound * Added funtion throws_type to Test;More
19:51 NotFound * Setting utf8 encoding for file reading in Config/JSON to solve a problem
19:51 NotFound recently found in plumage
19:51 NotFound * Removed experimental status from Parrot_getpid function and getpid method.
19:51 NotFound -winxed
19:51 NotFound * Fix code generation for some expresions in void context and some other
19:51 NotFound code generation issues in stage 1 reported by plobsing++
19:51 NotFound * Allow usage of stage 0 out of the build dir
19:51 NotFound What I will do:
19:51 NotFound No fixed plan
19:51 NotFound EOR
19:57 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
20:01 cotto_work *did:
20:01 cotto_work - more thinking about Lorito
20:01 cotto_work - my mental scratchpad is at https://gist.github.com/740858
20:01 cotto_work - have gotten some good feedback, would welcome more
20:01 cotto_work - help with gci
20:01 cotto_work *will do:
20:01 cotto_work - more of the same
20:01 cotto_work - packfile planning and hacking
20:01 cotto_work - Christmas
20:01 cotto_work *blockers:
20:01 cotto_work - none
20:01 cotto_work *eor
20:06 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
20:15 mikehh What I did since my last report:
20:15 mikehh * building and testing parrot on amd64/i386, with gcc/g++
20:15 mikehh * some fixes
20:15 mikehh * testing rakudo on latest parrot
20:15 mikehh * did some work on html_cleanup branch, unfortunately $work intervened,
20:15 mikehh *  so I was unable to merge the branch, more to do
20:15 mikehh What I intend to do in the next week:
20:15 mikehh * testing and fixing
20:15 mikehh * hopefully complete the index/header pages in html_cleanup
20:15 mikehh .eor
20:25 Util # Done:
20:25 Util No Parrot or Perl6 work done.
20:25 Util # Blockers
20:25 Util Holiday bustle.
20:25 Util # 7-day ticket report:
20:25 Util 1  closed: done
20:25 Util 3  closed: fixed
20:25 Util 8  new
20:25 Util .end
20:26 moritz joined #parrotsketch
20:26 PacoLinux joined #parrotsketch
20:29 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
20:30 kid51 Util:  Thanks for the corrections to the minutes.  I'll correct the master file and re-post to parrot-members later tonight.
20:30 kid51 Starting time.
20:31 mikehh hello then
20:31 cotto_work so it is
20:31 NotFound Hola
20:31 Util Hello
20:33 kid51 Who is chairing?  (chromatic not present yet)
20:34 mikehh go for it Mr Chair
20:35 cotto_work How did we do on last week's goals?
20:36 kid51 GCI:  We continue to have a lot of enthusiasm on part of students, but we're blocking on ability to approve/publish new tasks.
20:36 kid51 MappedByteArray:  I don't recall seeing much activity on this
20:36 mikehh failed to merge html_cleanup - $work intervened
20:36 cotto_work yes.  we need to raise the bus number on gci
20:37 Util 2.11 was released successfully
20:37 kid51 I think whiteknight and bluetooth did a lot on the various embed_api* branches -- but that wasn't listed as goal.
20:37 cotto_work it's still valuable work
20:38 kid51 Yes.  API team:  Which of the various embed_api* branches should other people be testing?
20:38 whiteknight kid51: bluescreen*
20:38 NotFound About MappedByteArray, all nice examples I can imagine, like dumping an elf file, will take a lot of work
20:39 kid51 whiteknight: correction noted
20:39 whiteknight kid51: embed_api4 is the current branch. I brought it up to date with master a few days ago
20:39 whiteknight I need to delete the older ones to avoid confusion
20:42 cotto_work aloha is back in action.  Now the mission is to get it running on feather so that it won't block on bacek.
20:43 tcurtis joined #parrotsketch
20:45 cotto_work Is there anything else that we accomplished in the past week?
20:45 whiteknight the make quickcover target merged
20:45 whiteknight (if that wasn't mentioned yet)
20:45 cotto_work Yes.  That was a good idea.
20:46 kid51 Please road test both 'make quickcover' and (if you have the patience) 'make cover')
20:46 NotFound We have now LWP;UserAgent working fine with CGI pages, which is noticeable IMO
20:46 cotto_work I'd even like to see that made the default and the current cover target given a different name.
20:46 kid51 had to do a lot of Makefile manipulation, something I'm not experienced in
20:47 kid51 cotto_work: I believe nwellnhof suggested that as well
20:47 kid51 We can work that in soon, but let's see if we get bug reports first.
20:47 cotto_work wfm
20:48 cotto_work What goals do we want to set for the coming week?
20:48 kid51 Also: taptinder might be using the current 'make cover'
20:48 cotto_work What does quickcover omit?
20:48 kid51 A lot
20:48 kid51 make testb make testr; make examples_test, etc.
20:49 kid51 A lot of stuff that IMHO is not needed
20:49 whiteknight so runcore code is going to be under-represented
20:50 cotto_work ok.  For automated testing, that code should probably continue to receive coverage.  keeping quickcover sounds like a better idea
20:50 kid51 whiteknight: Correct, but remember that the goal here is not debugging or correctness -- for that, only 'make fulltest' will do -- but measuring code coverage by test suite.
20:50 kid51 For GCIers who need quicker feedback
20:50 kid51 (quicker, but not really quick:  It's only as fast as 'make test')
20:50 NotFound That's not so bad. Probably a lot of PMC vtables and methods are tested only as side effects of unrelated tests
20:51 whiteknight kid51: I personally would be happy doing a cover run over "make coretest" only
20:51 NotFound So a lesser cover will help to discover holes in its own .t file
20:51 kid51 whiteknight: Well, that would lead us into the thicket of "What do we count as core/coretest?"
20:51 whiteknight kid51: Yeah, it's a small preference. Not something I want to argue about
20:52 whiteknight brb
20:52 kid51 Just look at config/gen/makefiles/root.in to see what it tests
20:52 kid51 As for goals for next week:
20:53 kid51 We're now 4 weeks away from a major release (3.0) ...
20:53 kid51 ... and about 5-1/2 from Next PDS.
20:53 kid51 So, those of you who made commitments at PDS early this month to have draft docs prepared by Jan PDS should be working on them.
20:53 kid51 chromatic++ for turning his assignment in right away!
20:54 kid51 whiteknight++, atrodo++, cotto++, tadeusz++ have all made blog posts
20:55 kid51 But after Dec 25, I will be reviewing the discussion from the PDS and starting to bug contributors individually.
20:55 kid51 With Xmas this week, I don't expect a tremendous amount of code activity, but let's not stop cogitating!
20:57 cotto_work My Lorito gist has been snowballing.  It's great.
20:57 whiteknight I figure this week is going to go to hell in a handbasket for most developers. We shouldn't set any goals, or set very very low ones
20:57 whiteknight cotto_work++ on that
20:57 whiteknight I want to get embed_api merged in, though I have to update some PDDs first
20:57 cotto_work github++ for making gists so nice to use
20:57 whiteknight otherwise we are passing all tests
21:00 kid51 So: #1: merge embed_api.
21:00 cotto_work Setting low goals is a good idea.  How does keeping up with gci and adding some new tasks sound?
21:00 cotto_work (for this week, of course)
21:00 kid51 #2: cotto: how should we phrase the more background task?
21:01 kid51 Yes, #2: keep up with GCI.  Rectify approve/publish problem.
21:01 cotto_work can you clarify what you mean?
21:01 whiteknight I think that's all we need for goals this week. Merge embed_api and keep up with GCI
21:01 mikehh I really want to get html_cleanup merged
21:01 whiteknight anything we do after that is just gravy
21:01 kid51 mikehh: What assistance could you use on that?  And what improvements will we be able to see?
21:02 allison joined #parrotsketch
21:03 mikehh I could use some help there once I make sure all the doc pages are incorporated, mainly index/header pages
21:03 whiteknight ah yes, html_cleanup. I would like to see that merged too
21:04 mikehh as for improvements, no more empty pages and all docs included somewhere
21:04 whiteknight +1
21:06 kid51 mikehh: ping me as needed; will try to assist while at holidays
21:07 mikehh kid51: 'k will do
21:08 kid51 So that's 3 goals.  enough
21:08 cotto_work Is there anything else before we move on to questions?
21:08 whiteknight no sir
21:08 cotto_work any questions then?
21:09 NotFound I suggest a secondary goal for spare time: test plumage
21:10 cotto_work That tool doesn't get enough love.
21:10 whiteknight that would be something nice to have for 2011
21:11 mikehh I was getting a TODO pass with t/src/embed.t with --optimize - with the new api maybe the test would need looking at anyway (it was probably due to --optimize not doing ASSERTS)
21:11 whiteknight I talked to japhb a while back, I have his permission to move/fork it to the parrot org on github
21:11 whiteknight I would really like to rewrite the config/build using distutils so we can get free smolder support
21:11 cotto_work That'd be a good place for it.
21:12 mikehh whiteknight: good idea
21:12 whiteknight yeah, and then we all would have commit bits to it
21:12 whiteknight fperrad could put together a setup.pir for plumage in a few seconds with a hand and a leg tied behind his back. It might take me a little longer
21:13 cotto_work We eventually need to address the bus number there, though this week probably isn't a good time for that.
21:13 whiteknight no, but it is good to think about it
21:14 whiteknight having a good, healthy plumage is going to be essential for the growth of our ecosystem in the long run
21:14 mikehh we definately need to increase the bus number there
21:14 whiteknight we need to increase the bus number everywhere
21:15 mikehh yes
21:15 NotFound And improve the security in our buses.
21:16 whiteknight I'll try to get plumage moved to github soon.
21:16 whiteknight Then if everybody could put two eyes on it for a few minutes this week we would be off to a great start
21:16 mikehh a priority list for bus nember increasing?
21:18 whiteknight yes, something like that would be very good to put together
21:18 cotto_work mikehh: good idea
21:19 kid51 I think the idea of reviving/fortifying Plumage is good ... but we already have 3 goals for this week.  Can we make that a goal for the following week?
21:19 cotto_work kid51: only if someone remembers
21:19 kid51 That wouldn't prevent anyone from working on it; it just would clarify what we are *promising* to do.
21:19 whiteknight yes, that's not really a goal this week, just would be nice if people looked at it in their spare time
21:23 kid51 Are there any other questions or concerns?
21:23 cotto_work I'd like to summarize the goals so they're easier to find next week:
21:23 cotto_work GOAL 1: keep up with gci
21:23 cotto_work GOAL 2: merge html_cleanup
21:23 cotto_work GOAL 3: merge embed_api4
21:23 cotto_work Is that accurate?
21:23 whiteknight +1 from me
21:24 kid51 _1
21:24 cotto_work BONUS: increase bus numbers on plumage, distutils
21:24 kid51 sorry: +1
21:24 NotFound +1
21:24 cotto_work GOAL 4: make a list of things that need a higher bus number
21:25 mikehh cotto_work: that's practically everything :-}
21:26 cotto_work We're going to need a bigger list.
21:27 whiteknight Okay, I have to sign off now. Goodnight
21:27 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
21:27 cotto_work any other thoughts before we call it a wrap?
21:28 mikehh Happy Holidays Everyone
21:29 mikehh Good time to work on parrot of course
21:29 kid51 left #parrotsketch
21:29 moritz left #parrotsketch
21:34 cotto_work end of line
21:43 tcurtis left #parrotsketch
22:08 NotFound left #parrotsketch
22:45 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
22:48 atrodo left #parrotsketch
23:33 kid51 left #parrotsketch

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary