Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2011-07-05

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
02:27 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
02:47 particle1 joined #parrotsketch
02:48 particle left #parrotsketch
02:56 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
03:00 kid51 kid51's report
03:00 kid51 DONE
03:00 kid51 * Cage cleaning led to closing (by myself or others) of these tickets:  TT #515; TT #956; TT #1083; TT #1085.
03:00 kid51 ** DrForr++ for removing remaining old Parrot releases from CPAN.
03:00 kid51 * Attended YAPC: Parrot/Perl 6 BOF; talks by cotto, dukeleto, colomon; part of hackathon.
03:00 kid51 * Conferred with whiteknight re both PaFo and project issues
03:01 kid51 * Code review and debugging of Makefile dependencies in soh_cah_toa's hbdb branch.
03:01 kid51 DOING
03:01 kid51 * Took/opened these tickets, on which I welcome feedback:
03:01 kid51 ** TT #920: parrotbug should provide more guidance when it finishes
03:01 kid51 ** TT #1047: pf_items assumes sizeof(INTVAL) == sizeof(opcode_t): for application after 3.6
03:01 kid51 ** TT # 2143: examples/benchmarks/overload.pl: Can we remove this file?
03:01 kid51 * Mentally preparing for 3.6 release on Tue Jul 19.
03:01 kid51 * Proposal for presentation at FOSSCON, Philadelphia, Sat Jul 23 accepted and under development.
03:01 kid51 * Follow-up on PaFo issues with particle.
03:01 kid51 EOR
03:10 kid51 left #parrotsketch
03:35 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
04:33 particle1 left #parrotsketch
10:39 contingencyplan left #parrotsketch
11:44 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
11:50 whiteknight There is about a 50% chance I will be able to attend the #parrotsketch meeting today.
11:50 whiteknight WHAT I DID
11:50 whiteknight * Rosella String and Path libraries are now stable
11:50 whiteknight * Been working on a new text templating library, will publish a blog post about it soon
11:50 whiteknight * Working on the whiteknight/packfilewrapper branch. I'm 99% of the way to being mergable, just need more tests
11:50 whiteknight * Getting other people to look at that branch, especially the new PackfileView PMC would be awesome. Test reports appreciated!
11:50 whiteknight * Talking with kid51 on the phone, Trying to keep up with all the things he wants me to do :)
11:50 whiteknight * Looking at some profiling data again, and following along with Rakudo/nom progress to get some optimization ideas
11:50 whiteknight WHAT I WILL DO:
11:50 whiteknight * Finish getting whiteknight/packfileview mergable. If it can't go in before the release, I would like it to go in shortly thereafter.
11:50 whiteknight * Have a few deprecation items I would like to discuss and get in before 3.6. Will discuss them in #parrot if I can't be at #ps today.
11:50 whiteknight * Going to start looking at 6model again in more depth.
11:50 whiteknight * Will talk profiling with cotto.
11:50 whiteknight * GSoC midterm evaluations coming up soon, will send out an email about that
11:50 whiteknight EOR
12:09 bubaflub joined #parrotsketch
12:51 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
13:15 lucian joined #parrotsketch
13:37 particle joined #parrotsketch
13:43 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
13:47 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
14:38 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
14:53 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
15:38 darbelo joined #parrotsketch
16:10 darbelo_ joined #parrotsketch
16:14 darbelo left #parrotsketch
16:15 cotto_work joined #parrotsketch
16:21 darbelo joined #parrotsketch
16:21 darbelo_ left #parrotsketch
16:47 benabik joined #parrotsketch
17:12 soh_cah_toa joined #parrotsketch
18:56 NotFound joined #parrotsketch
19:05 NotFound What I did:
19:05 NotFound -parrot
19:05 NotFound * Added rule pir_winxed to distutils
19:05 NotFound -winxed
19:05 NotFound * Testing include branch, not ready yet.
19:05 NotFound What I will do:
19:05 NotFound No plan
19:05 NotFound EOR
19:08 darbelo left #parrotsketch
19:51 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
20:03 soh_cah_toa REPORT
20:03 soh_cah_toa Done:
20:03 soh_cah_toa * Got build down to 3 warnings (though just 1 type)
20:03 soh_cah_toa * Finished (for now) test framework
20:03 soh_cah_toa * Made my first Perl 6 module Digest::SHA256 :)
20:03 soh_cah_toa * Blogged
20:04 soh_cah_toa Todo:
20:04 soh_cah_toa * Merge into master to re-sync once 0 build warnings
20:04 soh_cah_toa * Frob Parrot::Test::HBDB a little bit
20:04 soh_cah_toa * Continue breakpoints
20:04 soh_cah_toa * Look into 'list' command
20:04 soh_cah_toa * Blog
20:04 soh_cah_toa EOR
20:04 Util # Done:
20:04 Util * Attended YAPC::NA, including Parrot&Perl6 BOF, Hackathon, and 3 meals with P&P6 members.
20:04 Util = Missed last #parrotsketch meeting :(
20:04 Util * Discussed (face-to-face at BOF) the Python Virtual Machine Summit that I attended months ago.
20:04 Util = which I am very overdue to blog about
20:04 Util * Taught soh_cah_toa about Parrot's bootstrap sequence.
20:04 Util = Over the past several months, I have though much on our bootstrap, but said nothing.
20:04 Util * Perl 6 work in Niecza, Rakudo, and RosettaCode.
20:04 Util # Plan to do:
20:04 Util * Post blog entry about VM Summit.
20:04 Util * Document the bootstrap complexities.
20:04 Util # Blockers:
20:05 Util * Independence Day festivities :)
20:05 Util * $WORK
20:05 Util .end
20:06 bubaflub DID:
20:06 bubaflub GSOC work -
20:06 bubaflub * found a few functions that i didn't cover, covered them
20:06 bubaflub * started vtable overrides, lots of tests for those
20:06 bubaflub * added distutils setup.pir / setup.winxed and got that to install
20:06 bubaflub WILL DO:
20:06 bubaflub * finish vtable overrides
20:07 bubaflub * add more docs and examples
20:07 bubaflub BLOCKERS:
20:07 bubaflub * life
20:07 bubaflub .EOR
20:07 tcurtis DID:
20:07 tcurtis * Realized after considerable confusion about adding the lookback states that I had been doing the lookback
20:07 tcurtis set building wrongly.
20:07 tcurtis WILL DO:
20:07 tcurtis * Finish blog post.
20:07 tcurtis * Finish lookback stuff.
20:07 tcurtis * Push the stuff I've been working on.
20:07 tcurtis * Comments/tests.
20:07 tcurtis * Write a DPDA interpreter.
20:07 tcurtis EOR
20:15 cotto_work *did:
20:15 cotto_work - M0 progress:
20:15 cotto_work -- realized that I don't have the energy to write another calling conventions example in M0
20:15 cotto_work -- more thinking, talking and bikeshedding about the M0 Overlay LangaugE "mole"
20:15 cotto_work -- managed to get some folks interest in mole's design
20:15 cotto_work -- hijacked lucian's full repo clone of my gist for further work
20:15 cotto_work - profiling
20:15 cotto_work -- wrote up incoherent ramblings for whiteknight (public gist, probably not of general interest)
20:15 cotto_work -- will discuss things with him when he has time, preferably next day or two
20:15 cotto_work - put out first edition of Parrot Weekly News
20:15 cotto_work -- http://reparrot.blogspot.com/2011/07/parrot-weekly-news-for-july-3rd-2011.html
20:15 cotto_work -- trying to create a baseline source of Parrot information for anyone working on or looking at Parrot
20:15 cotto_work -- If you see something intresting happening, say "PWN" so I don't miss it while acking irclog
20:15 cotto_work -- suggestions (and guest articles) welcome!
20:15 cotto_work *todo
20:15 cotto_work - more mole and M0 thinking, moving more toward mole
20:15 cotto_work *eor
20:15 cotto_work q1q
20:17 Util cotto_work++ # Parrot Weekly News
20:21 Coke cotto++ # PWNed. This is an easy way to burn out, be careful. ;)
20:21 jlaire joined #parrotsketch
20:22 cotto_work Coke: thanks.  I'll look for ways to delegate and watch for signs of burnout.
20:27 benabik DID:
20:27 benabik - Met Parrots and Zebras at YAPC::NA
20:27 benabik - Drove a lot (4 days of driving!)
20:27 benabik - Catalogued PAST, POST, and newPOST
20:27 benabik - Wrote half a blog post on PAST/POST/newPOST
20:27 benabik WILL DO:
20:27 benabik - Finish blog
20:28 benabik - Start getting PAST::Compiler to output newPOST
20:28 benabik BLOCKERS:
20:28 benabik - Lost over a week to YAPC and associated travel.
20:28 benabik EOR
20:30 darbelo joined #parrotsketch
20:30 cotto_work hello
20:31 bubaflub hello
20:31 NotFound Hola
20:31 kid51 q1q
20:31 benabik Addendum: #phasers appears to have been quick this week.  Rakudo nom is moving quickly, but only thing referring to parrot I saw was that pmichaud is apparently planning more PAST work wrt labels & next/last/redo
20:32 soh_cah_toa howdy
20:32 benabik hi
20:32 cotto_work benabik: thanks
20:32 Util Hello
20:32 cotto_work How'd last week go?
20:33 kid51 We have a slight reduction in the total number of open Trac tickets.
20:33 kid51 518 or 520 down to 514 the way I count (report #10)
20:34 cotto_work Thanks for driving that.
20:34 kid51 Most commits appear to have been in branches
20:34 Util By my count, 12 closed, 5 new, 2 reopened
20:34 benabik I'm having a little bit of a problem getting back into the routine after YAPC, but having the holiday over should help with that.
20:35 kid51 We actually had more activity (as measured by #parrot) than I would have expected over July 4 weekend
20:36 cotto_work surprisingly involved discussion about mole
20:38 cotto_work Thanks for NotFound++ for taking over last week's #ps.
20:38 cotto_work are there any other comments before we move to questions?
20:38 NotFound A pleasure
20:40 cotto_work I don't see any questions queued before me, so I'll go first.
20:40 cotto_work Now that the disruption from OS Bridge and YAPC::NA is done, I'd like to move #ps forward by one hour.  Thoughts?
20:41 soh_cah_toa i wouldn't be affected by it. for now, at least
20:42 cotto_work bah.  mean back
20:42 cotto_work "one hour later" is the gist
20:42 NotFound No problem for me.
20:42 NotFound Either way.
20:42 kid51 "One hour later" is worse for me.
20:43 Util OK with me.
20:43 kid51 As that would be the time when (8 months of year) I'm commuting home.
20:43 cotto_work kid51: would one hour earlier be better?
20:44 kid51 No better, no worse.  but if, on year-round basis, that would get whiteknight to participate, then it would be better.
20:44 cotto_work My hope was to avoid whiteknight having to leave after an hour, but having him for most of the meeting will be better than none.
20:45 kid51 Well, we shouldn't allow our meetings to run more than an hour in any case (IMO)
20:46 cotto_work kid51: I agree in principle.  Those few that go long are sometimes valuable though.
20:47 Coke I know we've traditionally done IRC, should also consider there are other options, like phone (which you can while in transit)
20:47 cotto_work I couldn't do that at $dayjob.
20:47 cotto_work it'd also be much more limiting
20:48 cotto_work (though faster)
20:48 NotFound Phone while driving is risky.
20:48 cotto_work not ideal for a technical meeting
20:48 cotto_work I definitely prefer to do irc while driving.
20:48 Util Bus numbers!
20:49 cotto_work (no, not really ;)
20:50 Util I mean, "bus number" becomes the literal "number of the bus that you colide with from not paying attention"
20:50 NotFound Is even illegal in some countries.
20:50 NotFound Like mine.
20:50 cotto_work We don't want people getting themselves pulled over for participating in #ps.
20:51 cotto_work It sounds like the best option is to make #ps one hour earlier.
20:52 cotto_work objections?
20:52 NotFound (not that much people here worries about such laws, but still)
20:52 Util Also works for me. If #phasers goes past 30 minutes, benabik and I will just be splitting our attention between it and #parrotsketch.
20:52 cotto_work me too
20:52 cotto_work I've started lurking there
20:53 NotFound Util: you can use irc for one and phone for the other while driving and solving a rubik cube.
20:53 cotto_work I'll send off a post to parrot-dev and parrot-users.
20:53 * Util wonders how text-to-speech would cope with either IRC meeting.
20:53 cotto_work Util: you can simulate it by reading everyone's responses in a robot voice.
20:54 cotto_work kid51: do you still have your question?
20:54 kid51 Yes.
20:54 cotto_work go ahead
20:55 kid51 Essentially, I just want to ask people to look at these Trac tickets and provide feedback:
20:55 kid51 TT #920
20:55 kid51 TT #1047
20:55 kid51 TT #2143
20:55 kid51 fuller descriptions in my pre-post above.
20:55 kid51 EOQ
20:56 kid51 No particular need to get that feedback here and now; please post in tickets.  Thanks.
20:57 cotto_work does this channel not have a topic or is it just my client?
20:58 Coke cotto_work: just you.
20:58 NotFound It has for me.
20:58 cotto_work Can someone update the time?
20:58 Util say /topic to see it without changing it
20:58 cotto_work * #parrotsketch :No topic is set.
20:58 cotto_work sigh
20:59 benabik Util: That's hazardous advice.  Some clients will set it to a null topic, IIRC.
20:59 Util benabik: thanks.
20:59 Util Chaning time...
21:01 Topic for #parrotsketch is now Meeting time moved 1 hour earlier ! | Priorities for this week: Not yet set | Post closed tickets in your report. | Note: This channel is for our Tuesday status meetings (at 19:30 UTC); you probably want #parrot instead. | irclog: http://irclog.perlgeek.de/
21:01 Util Did that show up for you, cotto_work?
21:01 cotto_work yup
21:07 cotto_work sent
21:07 cotto_work any other items of business?
21:08 mikehh joined #parrotsketch
21:09 cotto_work If anyone would like the Parrot community to know about something, send me a short (100-300 word) summary of it for the next Parrot Weekly News and I'll be glad to make it known.
21:10 dukeleto joined #parrotsketch
21:10 * dukeleto waves
21:10 Util o/
21:11 cotto_work Does anyone want to suggest goals for the week?
21:12 cotto_work The 3.6.0 supported release is coming up in a couple weeks.
21:14 mikehh anything we specifically want to tidy up before then?
21:15 cotto_work I'm not aware of anything.
21:15 kid51 Would it be possible to specify a time for a bug-cleaning hack session this weekend?
21:15 NotFound Did we have tests for distutils?
21:15 cotto_work kid51: quite possile
21:15 cotto_work *possible
21:15 kid51 I suggest that at least as much on general principle as on anything specifically needed before 3.6
21:16 kid51 Our Roadmap Goals did not require us to do that much in master
21:16 kid51 Hence, as release manager, I have no "agenda"
21:16 cotto_work NotFound: extremely low coverage.  There a ./t/library/distutils.t with <50 lines
21:16 kid51 (except to learn how to do a release :-) )
21:17 cotto_work 55 lines, rather
21:17 NotFound cotto_work: then a goal can be to figure ways to improve it.
21:17 cotto_work NotFound: are you volunteering?
21:17 NotFound cotto_work: I've tried, but failed.
21:18 cotto_work distutils is a beast
21:18 dukeleto kid51: your agenda is to put out a solid release that doesn't set peoples dogs on fire
21:19 NotFound I can't think of a way of testing it without a special build with a install dir set.
21:19 dukeleto cotto_work: has the parrot google calendar time been updated?
21:19 dukeleto cotto_work: for #ps, that is
21:19 cotto_work dukeleto: I don't know who has the right bit to do that.
21:20 dukeleto does anybody have the rights to modify our google calendar #ps reminder?
21:22 Util dukeleto: looks like will@coleda.com
21:24 dukeleto Util++
21:25 bluescreen_ joined #parrotsketch
21:26 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
21:26 bluescreen_ left #parrotsketch
21:26 * kid51 has reached quitting time
21:29 kid51 left #parrotsketch
21:32 cotto_work NotFound: testing distutils is an excellent goal.  It's a central part of Parrot that doesn't effectively have any test coverage.  If you can't think of a good strategy, take a look at python's distutils.
21:32 cotto_work I hope it has some kind of tests.
21:33 cotto_work Are there any other suggestions?
21:37 Topic for #parrotsketch is now Meeting time moved 1 hour earlier ! | Priorities for this week: Tests for distutils; no dogs on fire | Post closed tickets in your report. | Note: This channel is for our weekly status meetings (Tuesdays at 19:30 UTC); you probably want #parrot instead. | irclog: http://irclog.perlgeek.de/
21:39 cotto_work NotFound: it looks like cpython's distutils has a healthy number of tests.
21:39 cotto_work Let's call it a wrap.
21:53 soh_cah_toa left #parrotsketch
22:09 darbelo left #parrotsketch
22:17 darbelo joined #parrotsketch
22:41 bubaflub left #parrotsketch
22:41 darbelo left #parrotsketch
23:06 lucian left #parrotsketch
23:28 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
23:41 benabik left #parrotsketch
23:47 kid51 left #parrotsketch
23:57 Coke left #parrotsketch
23:57 Coke joined #parrotsketch

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary