Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2011-07-19

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:08 bluescreen_ joined #parrotsketch
02:02 bluescreen__ joined #parrotsketch
02:30 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
02:30 bluescreen_ left #parrotsketch
02:30 bluescreen__ left #parrotsketch
04:01 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
04:15 contingencyplan left #parrotsketch
09:05 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
10:52 contingencyplan left #parrotsketch
12:03 lucian joined #parrotsketch
12:31 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
13:40 wagle left #parrotsketch
14:03 wagle joined #parrotsketch
15:17 atrodo joined #parrotsketch
15:32 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
15:47 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
16:03 darbelo joined #parrotsketch
16:16 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
16:16 kid51 kid51's report
16:16 kid51 DONE
16:17 kid51 * 3.6.0 release: P�jaros del Caribe
16:18 kid51 * Please see my post to parrot-dev for longer discussion of problems impacting release process (http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2011-July/006051.html).  Feedback welcome.
16:19 kid51 * Following release applied patch from http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1047 to master.
16:19 kid51 DOING/TO DO
16:19 kid51 * Still need to get permissions for docs.parrot.org so I can update online documentation.
16:20 kid51 * Need to review #parrot log from today to make revisions to docs/project/release_manager_guide.pod
16:20 kid51 * We need to set (or initiate process) to set day and time for Parrot Developer Summit to be held on either July 30 or 31.
16:21 kid51 EOR
16:48 kid51 left #parrotsketch
16:49 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
16:59 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
18:16 benabik joined #parrotsketch
18:23 benabik DID:
18:23 benabik - Some hackery on parrot.git's history to fix a bad merge
18:23 benabik - Helped find a solution to Windows test problems
18:23 benabik - Poked around tests, trying to get PBC generation working
18:23 benabik WILL DO:
18:23 benabik - Get some chunk of PAST to generate bytecode
18:23 benabik - Blog
18:23 benabik BLOCKERS:
18:23 benabik - Heat
18:23 benabik - Lack of sleep (see heat)
18:23 benabik EOR
18:28 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
18:37 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
18:39 NotFound joined #parrotsketch
18:41 NotFound What I did:
18:41 NotFound -parrot
18:41 NotFound * Fixed a mistake in MappedByteArray that disallowed some functionality
18:41 NotFound in Windoes.
18:41 NotFound * Added vtable get_pointer to ByteBuffer.
18:41 NotFound * Fixed sprintf bug when using format strings with non fixed 8 encodings.
18:41 NotFound * Fixed Windows errors reporting with non english locale.
18:41 NotFound * Changed wrapping of dlfuncs in nciutils to allow detection of symbols
18:41 NotFound not found.
18:41 NotFound * Fixed several wrong tests, unTODO some of them, and makde some failures
18:41 NotFound more informative.
18:41 NotFound * Allowed String is_integer mthod to work with non-ascii strings.
18:41 NotFound -winxed
18:41 NotFound * Defined branch and tag setting for versions and releases.
18:41 NotFound * Modified a bit the sprintf builtin.
18:41 NotFound * Minor fixes.
18:41 NotFound * Released version 1.0.0 for Parrot 3.6.0
18:41 NotFound What I will do:
18:41 NotFound * No plan
18:41 NotFound EOR
18:43 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
18:45 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
18:47 whiteknight WHAT I DID:
18:47 whiteknight * Parrot:
18:47 whiteknight --> Testing and bug fixing, especially on windows. All windows tests, on some machines at least, are passing for the release. ++ to everybody involved.
18:47 whiteknight --> Cleanups to whiteknight/pbc_pbc branch. Sent out an email asking for testers. Got them. Looking into results
18:47 whiteknight * Rosella:
18:47 whiteknight --> Added FilePath class to the FileSystem library for working with path strings.
18:47 whiteknight --> Fixed extension detection in Harness library. Shouldn't pick up your vim temporary files now
18:47 whiteknight I may be late to #ps today.
18:47 whiteknight EOR
18:49 lucian What I did:
18:49 lucian recovered financially
18:50 lucian re-organised some code
18:50 lucian worked on the build/test system, to make development bearable
18:50 lucian What I'll do:
18:50 lucian improve the puffin compiler to support suites (lists of statements)
18:50 lucian EOR
19:07 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
19:08 kid51 kid51: MORE
19:08 kid51 * Preparing to speak at FOSSCON in Philadelphia on Saturday
19:10 kid51 * Hope we have some experts on channel at 4:00 PM ET Saturday to answer the questions In can't :-)
19:10 kid51 EOR
19:11 pmichaud joined #parrotsketch
19:17 allison * starting on Debian/Parrot packaging for 3.6. We're after automatic Debian imports in the Ubuntu release schedule, but before Feature Freeze, so should still be fine to get it in.
19:18 allison * Will be at DebConf next week, let me know of any questions for Debian.
19:18 allison EOR
19:19 dukeleto What I did:
19:19 dukeleto * Gave bubaflub++ a passing midterm grade
19:19 dukeleto * Started hacking on Chimera, a firefox plugin using the FireBreath framework,
19:19 dukeleto to embed Parrot in FF: https://github.com/letolabs/chimera
19:19 dukeleto * Got our netbsd smoker on the GCC compile farm working again, kid51++ for noticing
19:19 dukeleto * Hacked on parrot-libgit2 bindings, currently trying to make a Winxed test pass
19:19 dukeleto * Greatly improved the readme for the Parrot test suite:
19:19 dukeleto https://github.com/parrot/parrot/tree/master/t
19:19 dukeleto What I will do:
19:19 dukeleto * Hack on PL/Parrot because I am giving a talk on it in a few days
19:19 dukeleto Blockers:
19:19 dukeleto * meatspace
19:19 dukeleto .EOR
19:23 tcurtis DID:
19:23 tcurtis * Midterm evals
19:23 tcurtis WILL DO:
19:23 tcurtis * Blog tonight.
19:23 tcurtis * Write a DPDA interpreter (doing this first because it's simple and getting it done will be motivating)
19:23 tcurtis * Fix bugs.
19:23 tcurtis * Implement various simple transformations that are necessary to get the DPDAs to actually work.
19:23 tcurtis * Comments/tests.
19:23 tcurtis EOR
19:23 soh_cah_toa joined #parrotsketch
19:26 soh_cah_toa REPORT
19:26 soh_cah_toa DONE:
19:26 soh_cah_toa * Completed mid-term evaluation
19:26 soh_cah_toa * Made commands repeat when nothing is entered
19:26 soh_cah_toa * Opened a few tickets
19:26 soh_cah_toa * Started soh-cah-toa/tt-2155 branch
19:26 soh_cah_toa * Cleaned up wiki
19:26 soh_cah_toa * Blogged
19:26 soh_cah_toa TODO:
19:26 soh_cah_toa * Have fun at FOSSCON
19:26 soh_cah_toa * Blog
19:26 soh_cah_toa EOR
19:31 cotto_work *did:
19:31 cotto_work - helped kid51++ get 3.6.0 out the door
19:31 cotto_work - windows smoke testing
19:31 cotto_work - M0/mole progress:
19:31 cotto_work -- started working on strings in M0
19:31 cotto_work -- have M0 example that can caluclate the hash of a string and get the same result as a C implementation
19:31 cotto_work -- found that the Perl implementation is silently cheating converting strings to ints
19:31 cotto_work -- need to rework some interp guts to act more like C
19:31 cotto_work - profiling
19:31 cotto_work -- nothing
19:31 cotto_work *todo
19:31 cotto_work - plug M0 spec holes, get some tests passing
19:31 cotto_work *eor
19:32 cotto_work hello
19:32 whiteknight hello
19:32 * cotto_work had a meeting go late and needs to backscroll
19:32 benabik o/
19:33 kid51 Hello.
19:33 cotto_work How'd this week go?  The release seemed bumpy.
19:33 whiteknight here's the man of the hour! kid51++
19:35 kid51 Yes, it was bumpy.  Partly my first-timer-ness, but more that IMHO we got bit by long-standing problems.  See post on parrot-dev.
19:36 kid51 I believe that 5 minutes ago I finally got the HTML docs working.  If someone could verify, that would be nice.
19:36 kid51 cotto_work You were correct.  It took 4 hours.  4 *intense* hours.
19:37 whiteknight my first release was very bumpy as well. I had a printout of the checklist and was furiously taking notes and double-checking things
19:37 cotto_work I'm glad the bootstrapping step is gone then.
19:38 cotto_work Spending an hour to cut 10 minutes off the release process is worthwhile.
19:38 cotto_work assuming we'll have at least 7 more releases. ;)
19:39 kid51 q1q
19:39 cotto_work Are there any other comments before we move to questions?
19:40 cotto_work kid51: go ahead
19:40 kid51 This Saturday at 4:00 pm I have to give a talk on Parrot at FOSSCON.
19:41 kid51 I will crib liberally from your talk and dukeleto's at YAPC
19:41 cotto_work kid51: please do
19:41 kid51 But while I will list many Parrot features, I'm not really competent to answer expert-level questions on them.
19:41 kid51 So we've hatched a scheme.
19:42 kid51 We being: soh_cah_toa and me.
19:42 soh_cah_toa yes
19:42 kid51 Assuming he can make that session.
19:42 soh_cah_toa kid15: i will
19:42 kid51 He will type into #parrot all the stump-the-chump questions I get asked.
19:42 kid51 We need people on line at that time to get them responses.
19:42 pmichaud kid51: if it's at all helpful, I expect to be at your presentation :)
19:42 cotto_work kid51: which timezone?
19:42 kid51 i.e., We need: "Operators are standing by"
19:42 kid51 Eastern
19:42 cotto_work there are many
19:43 whiteknight I'll be moving to a new house that weekend, probably. Limited if any internet access
19:43 kid51 I'll work the routine into my talk.
19:43 kid51 whiteknight:  Good luck with the move. *You* should be giving this talk.
19:43 NotFound Late hello
19:44 kid51 fosscon organizers-- for scheduling pmichaud's talk in same slot as MJD
19:44 pmichaud kid51: yeah, well, my talk was going to conflict with _someone's_ talk
19:44 kid51 So, that's 1:00-1:50 Pacific time
19:44 cotto_work Urgh.  I wouldn't want to have to pick between those.
19:44 kid51 (mine)
19:44 cotto_work kid51: thanks
19:45 pmichaud although I agree that I'd really like to see mjd's talk.
19:45 pmichaud it would've been very interesting to have my talk opposite the "Le Perl est mort" talk :)
19:45 kid51 pmichaud:  We should all go out to dinner afterwards and you can repeat the talks.
19:46 pmichaud (sorry for hijacking #ps)
19:46 kid51 In any case, though the conference is not the best organized, they are making space available on Sunday for hacking, etc
19:46 kid51 EOQ
19:47 cotto_work kid51: did you have any release-related questions you wanted to bring up here?
19:48 kid51 No, because the problems were more strategic than tactical, as discussed in post.  Better discussed at PDS.  Which we need to schedule.
19:48 cotto_work That sounds like a question. ;]
19:48 whiteknight let's forget about it. We don't have to worry about it for another month
19:48 whiteknight :)
19:49 whiteknight speaking of which, as a short interjection, We have some slots open for release managers this year and I would be *thrilled* if a GSoC student picked them up
19:49 whiteknight I need to look at the schedule for specific openings, but I know there is at least one
19:49 kid51 Coke took August; wants to know what branches will be landing; November still open
19:50 cotto_work Releases in 2012 are also open.
19:51 whiteknight okay, so if any GSoCers aren't going to be completely sick of us after the summer is over, November needs a release manager
19:51 whiteknight by the way, I know from experience that it looks *awesome* on a resume...
19:52 soh_cah_toa i'll definitely volunteer for one of the early 2012 ones after i'm done w/ the one in september
19:52 * Util is here late
19:52 whiteknight soh_cah_toa: I like the attitude! You don't even know how bad it will be, and it will be horrible, and you're already itching for more! :)
19:53 soh_cah_toa :)
19:53 kid51 Any submissions for the quotation-identification contest?  (Follow the rules!)
19:54 whiteknight none from me
19:54 * dukeleto waves
19:55 Util I dated a Spanish major for 8 years... Nope, I got nothing.
19:55 cotto_work I didn't, but me too.
19:55 soh_cah_toa the first thing i thought of was "much to do about nothing" when i saw "ursula"
19:55 soh_cah_toa by shakespeare
19:55 whiteknight heh, I thought of the little mermaid
19:55 soh_cah_toa yeah, and that :)
19:55 * whiteknight has already had a kid for too long, it seems
19:58 kid51 In any event ...
19:58 kid51 cotto_work Are you going to set up one of those doodle things to schedule PDS
19:58 cotto_work kid51: I can do that.
19:59 kid51 Let's get that underway so we can avoid "Oh, I forgot that was the weekend after OSCON" syndrome.
19:59 cotto_work What are the likely weekends?
20:00 kid51 According to our plan, there's only one:  July 30 or 31
20:00 kid51 2nd weekend after supported release
20:01 kid51 So it's a question of when on that weekend
20:02 cotto_work I'll send out a doodle shortly.
20:04 kid51 afk
20:07 cotto_work any other items of business?
20:08 dukeleto do we have goals for the week?
20:11 cotto_work http://doodle.com/5376aqqb9p4vsvd7
20:13 benabik Doodle times in UTC?
20:15 cotto_work trying to find how to make that explicit
20:16 whiteknight goals for the week: We just put out a big supported release, so let's break the hell out of master
20:16 cotto_work +1
20:16 whiteknight I've got some tests to fix on whiteknight/pbc_pbc and then that is getting merged in. Sooner > later
20:18 cotto_work I remember Doodle polls being easier to modify in the past.
20:18 * dukeleto will try hard to break master
20:18 cotto_work break it good
20:19 whiteknight is now known as brightlight
20:21 Topic for #parrotsketch is now Priorities for this week: Schedule PDS; Break the hell out of master! | Post closed tickets in your report. | Note: This channel is for our weekly status meetings (Tuesdays at 19:30 UTC); you probably want #parrot instead. | irclog: http://irclog.perlgeek.de/
20:21 cotto_work I can't tell what it's doing with timezones.  The first slot for me is 2AM on Saturday.
20:21 benabik Ditto here.
20:22 * benabik is filling it out assuming UTC.
20:22 cotto_work especially frustrating because the timezone shows up for previous doodles
20:22 cotto_work benabik: don't.  I want to make it explicit.
20:22 benabik cotto_work: Fair enough.
20:23 wagle left #parrotsketch
20:23 cotto_work I'll send something to parrot-dev when I have it straightened out.
20:24 cotto_work any other questions?
20:24 brightlight nope
20:24 Coke is now known as LiteBrite
20:24 LiteBrite is now known as Coke
20:25 brightlight is now known as whiteknight
20:29 wagle joined #parrotsketch
20:30 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
20:30 cotto_work Let's call it a wrap.
20:30 cotto_work real doodle link: http://www.doodle.com/8ef3957u65q5p537
20:32 soh_cah_toa left #parrotsketch
20:39 NotFound left #parrotsketch
20:46 wagle left #parrotsketch
20:57 lucian left #parrotsketch
21:07 wagle joined #parrotsketch
21:21 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
21:37 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
21:45 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
23:33 darbelo left #parrotsketch
23:37 kid51 left #parrotsketch

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary