Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2011-07-26

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:09 darbelo left #parrotsketch
01:57 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
02:40 pmichaud_ joined #parrotsketch
02:40 sorear_ joined #parrotsketch
02:40 PerlPilot joined #parrotsketch
02:44 sorear left #parrotsketch
02:44 pmichaud left #parrotsketch
02:44 PerlJam left #parrotsketch
03:27 sorear_ is now known as sorear
04:33 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
04:43 dafrito left #parrotsketch
06:06 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
07:50 particle left #parrotsketch
10:07 contingencyplan left #parrotsketch
12:45 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
13:14 particle joined #parrotsketch
13:34 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
13:34 whiteknight WHAT I DID:
13:34 whiteknight * Merged whiteknight/pbc_pbc. Improved caching and packfile file-path lookup in the whiteknight/packfile_path branch
13:34 whiteknight * Created a new whiteknight/imcc_tag branch. Adds ':tag("foo")' syntax, a hopeful replacement for things like :load and :init. Most details are working great, although some things need fixing.
13:34 whiteknight * Created whiteknight/frontend_parrot2 branch to create a new alternate frontend for Parrot in PIR. Will use new compiler and packfile features to great effect.
13:34 whiteknight * Removed Parrot_compreg function (TT #1879)
13:34 whiteknight * Many fixes and improvements for Rosella Template library. Improved a few stock templates I've been using for automatically creating files (Test files, Harness programs, etc).
13:34 whiteknight * Worked on a new system for loading, managing, and initializing Rosella libraries. Very hypothetical, requires some of the new packfile changes and load_bytecode_p_s.
13:35 whiteknight * Added forward declarations for most of the lower-level Rosella libraries. Created a new tool for automatically generating winxed forward declarations from classes and functions in a .pbc file
13:35 whiteknight WHAT I WILL DO:
13:35 whiteknight * Moving to a new house. Lots of packing and lifting things. Have about 50% chance of being able to attend any part of PDS this coming weekend. Relatively low activity level from me is expected.
13:35 whiteknight * Would like to continue playing around with whiteknight/imcc_tag and whiteknight/frontend_parrot2 branches.
13:35 whiteknight * Would like to continue work on Rosella Template. Especially needs test coverage and documentation. Would like to see it become stable some time this month.
13:35 whiteknight * Have some ideas in mind for Rosella Harness. Need to think about it more and play with some code.
13:35 whiteknight EOR
14:15 whiteknight Addendum: Also, worked on the parrot.github.org website. and parrot.github.org/plumage. Both sites are looking significantly better, although they could both use some continued love. I may play with those this week and next week as well.
14:26 atrodo joined #parrotsketch
18:07 lucian joined #parrotsketch
18:24 kid51 joined #parrotsketch
18:24 kid51 kid51's report
18:24 kid51 * DONE
18:24 kid51 ** Completed some loose ends from 3.6 release, e.g., docs.parrot.org.
18:24 kid51 ** Attended and spoke at FOSSCON: http://thenceforward.net/parrot/fosscon201107/; had discussion there with pmichaud and soh_cah_toa.
18:25 kid51 ** Posted to parrot-dev request 3.9 Roadmap Goals proposals in advance of this weekend's PDS.
18:25 kid51 ** Posted to parrot-dev request for review of Parrot Wikipedia page.  (I think dukeleto++ was working on it; more eyeballs would be appreciated.)
18:25 kid51 ** Applied patch in TT #1047; ticket closed today.
18:25 kid51 ** Overall count (Trac report #10): 510 (it was 507 two weeks ago).
18:25 kid51 * WILL BE DOING
18:25 kid51 ** Attending Parrot Developer Summit.
18:25 kid51 ** Taking additional look at docs/project/release_manager_guide.pod.
18:25 kid51 * EOR
18:39 Util # Done:
18:39 Util * Started on remaining Win32 test failures, which lead me to:
18:39 Util = Adopted TT#1891: Problems with acosh, asech, atanh and acoth in Complex PMC, where I:
18:39 Util % Learned FMTIEWTK about Complex inverse hyperbolic trig functions.
18:39 Util # Plan to do:
18:39 Util * Attend Parrot Developer Summit
18:39 Util * Finish TT#1891; merge and delete branch
18:40 Util * Work on Win32 issues.
18:40 Util # Blockers:
18:40 Util * Massive $WORK.
18:40 Util .end
18:44 bubaflub joined #parrotsketch
18:59 benabik joined #parrotsketch
19:01 NotFound joined #parrotsketch
19:03 benabik DID:
19:03 benabik * Updated Laptop to Lion/Win7
19:03 benabik - Lost some cycles to reinstalling dependencies
19:03 benabik - If given pointers, I can smoke Win7 now
19:03 benabik * Discovered newPOST doesn't generate PIR
19:03 benabik - This means Parrot can't build on newPOST
19:03 benabik - Spent cycles trying to get some basic PIR
19:03 benabik * Met with whiteknight
19:03 benabik AM DOING:
19:03 benabik * Attempting to get a parallel PAST::Compiler in place
19:03 benabik - Will let me use newPOST while opsc, etc use oldPOST
19:03 benabik * Enjoying the lack of heat
19:03 benabik - Got a good nights sleep finally!
19:03 benabik WILL DO:
19:03 benabik * Blog
19:03 benabik EOR
19:12 NotFound What I did:
19:12 NotFound Almost nothing, busy with miscellaneous things
19:12 NotFound -parrot
19:12 NotFound * Just testing.
19:12 NotFound -winxed
19:12 NotFound * Refactored buitin creation.
19:12 NotFound What I will do:
19:12 NotFound * No plan
19:12 NotFound EOR
19:16 lucian Did:
19:17 lucian - improvements to the compiler (beginning of scoping and functions)
19:17 lucian - found several bugs in the object system, started fixing them
19:17 lucian - sorted out the build & test systems
19:17 lucian Will do:
19:18 lucian - get most (all?) tests in the object system pass
19:18 lucian - scopes, functions (closures too)
19:18 lucian EOR
19:18 soh_cah_toa joined #parrotsketch
19:19 PerlPilot is now known as PerlJam
19:20 bubaflub DID:
19:20 bubaflub - not a whole lot code wise
19:20 bubaflub - moved across town
19:20 bubaflub WILL DO:
19:20 bubaflub - finish docs and tutorials
19:20 bubaflub - think about refactoring test suite
19:20 bubaflub BLOCKERS:
19:20 bubaflub - real life
19:20 bubaflub - lack of internet connection at home
19:20 bubaflub EOR
19:20 soh_cah_toa REPORT
19:20 soh_cah_toa * Added extensive perldoc to osutils.pir and cleaned up source code
19:20 soh_cah_toa * Changed color scheme and documentation on Plumage homepage
19:21 soh_cah_toa * Created installable manpage for Plumage
19:21 soh_cah_toa * Went to FOSSCON with kid51 and pmichaud
19:21 soh_cah_toa EOR
19:30 cotto_work *did:
19:30 cotto_work - started doodle for PDS for next weekend
19:30 cotto_work - code review of whiteknight++'s packfile code
19:30 cotto_work - M0/mole progress:
19:30 cotto_work -- reworked M0 prototype to use packed ints and floats where possible
19:30 cotto_work -- got all tests passing on x64, one failure on x86
19:30 cotto_work -- that one failure is turning out to be tricky
19:30 cotto_work -- blargh
19:31 cotto_work - profiling
19:31 cotto_work -- nothing
19:31 cotto_work *todo
19:31 cotto_work - get M0 tests passing on x86
19:31 cotto_work - schedule and participate in PDS
19:31 cotto_work *eor
19:31 cotto_work hello
19:32 whiteknight hello
19:32 soh_cah_toa hi
19:33 Util Hello
19:33 benabik o/
19:33 cotto_work How'd this past week go?
19:33 whiteknight good
19:33 whiteknight very good
19:34 NotFound Hola
19:34 cotto_work whiteknight: indeed.  I saw some great stuff committed under your name.
19:34 whiteknight somebody else must have gotten my password
19:34 whiteknight :)
19:35 cotto_work btw, now would be a really good time to fill out your availability on the PDS doodle:  http://doodle.com/8ef3957u65q5p537
19:35 cotto_work (to everyone in general)
19:35 whiteknight My availability is uncertain at best. Don't plan for me.
19:36 contingencyplan joined #parrotsketch
19:36 cotto_work The timing for people who've filled out the doodle looks pretty good.
19:37 cotto_work There's a 4 hour slot that looks like it'll work for everyone.
19:38 cotto_work any other thoughts on the past week or questions to queue?
19:39 cotto_work This might be the shortest #ps ever.
19:41 kid51 Do we have enough info to schedule PD
19:41 kid51 Do we have enough info to schedule PDS right now?
19:41 kid51 q1q
19:41 kid51 q2q
19:41 Util q1q
19:42 whiteknight q1q
19:42 cotto_work kid51: yes, assuming that nobody else needs to sign up
19:43 cotto_work If we scheduled it now, the time would be 1400 (US Pacific).
19:43 kid51 In UTC, for us computers?
19:43 benabik cotto_work: and date?
19:44 cotto_work (It's the slot that has 6 yes votes and one maybe)
19:44 cotto_work benabik: Saturday
19:44 cotto_work 2100 UTC
19:45 * kid51 enters Sat Jul 30 2100 UTC in his high-tech calendaring system
19:46 cotto_work kid51: go ahead with your question(s)
19:46 kid51 At the past several PDSes we have established Roadmap Goals for the next quarter's supported release (in this case, 3.9 in Oct 2011)
19:47 kid51 The discussion of those goals -- in fact, the discussion in general -- works best if people post their thoughts/wants on parrot-dev or on blogs *in advance of* the PDS
19:47 * tcurtis is late. will post report after #ps winds down.
19:47 kid51 That gives everyone time to reflect on the proposals.
19:48 kid51 So, my question is simply a request that people think seriously over next few days about what our goals should be ... and then post
19:48 kid51 Comments?
19:49 whiteknight I have a blog post about it already, it's not posted yet
19:49 whiteknight so, +1 to the idea in general
19:50 kid51 I particularly want to encourage the GSOCers to think about what they might like to work on *after* pencils-down
19:51 kid51 Also, think about what things you could work on *jointly* with others (as roadmap goals are supposed to be team efforts)
19:51 dukeleto joined #parrotsketch
19:52 * dukeleto waves
19:52 kid51 It's my hope that we have more people participating in roadmap teams than just whiteknight, cotto and dukeleto :-)
19:53 kid51 Any more comments?  If not, eo1q
19:53 cotto_work kid51: +1.  If anyone wants to jump in and help with a roadmap goal (in particular or general), please contact one of us.
19:54 Util kid51: I am working up my reply to your roadmap email.
19:55 kid51 Util, thanks.
19:56 cotto_work kid51: go ahead with your next question
19:56 kid51 The Parrot Foundation Board of Directors serve a term of one year.
19:56 kid51 IIRC, the current board (particle, dukeleto, whiteknight, myself) were elected at a foundation members meeting held after #parrotsketch on the last Tuesday of August in 2010.
19:56 kid51 Which suggests that our next board election should take place on Tuesday, August 30.
19:56 kid51 1. We need candidates to serve on the board.
19:56 kid51 2. We need people to help run the election.
19:56 kid51 Volunteers?
19:57 kid51 (election day would be 5 weeks from today)
19:57 cotto_work kid51: can you post to parrot-dev with the list of positions and what they entail?  I don't expect that running the actual election will be much of a time sink.
19:58 kid51 I will; this was merely a first shout-out.
19:59 kid51 But, in advance of the election, we need to certify who is a member of the Foundation and is therefore qualified to vote.
19:59 kid51 IIRC, we have a "made two contributions to Parrot in past year" requirement for membership
20:00 kid51 That needs programmatic implementation.
20:00 cotto_work kid51: are we interpreting that as any commit that's pushed to parrot.git or only things that end up in master?
20:01 cotto_work I'd say any commit, but I want to make sure it's explicit.
20:01 kid51 We'll have to check the wording of the by-laws for a definitive judgment, but I suspect it's the former
20:02 kid51 And I don't think we're limited to "commits"; there are other ways people can qualify, e.g., GSOC, GCI, wiki contributions
20:03 kid51 The wider the net, the better, but wider means more implementation.
20:03 Coke don't /need/ code for that, especially if the net is wide.
20:03 Util From http://www.parrot.org/foundation : Voting membership is granted based on a recommendation by two existing voting members, to individuals who have made at least two contributions to the project (code or documentation patches, language implementation, etc.), and have submitted a signed contribution agreement.
20:04 Util I see no mention of "in the last year"
20:04 Util I agree that it can be more than just commits
20:06 Coke util: read http://www.parrot.org/sites/ww​w.parrot.org/files/bylaws.pdf
20:06 kid51 Util: Okay, I was citing from (faulty) memory
20:06 Coke e. The Membership Committee may terminate any
20:06 Coke membership, after a period of 12 months without contribution or voting activity from the member."
20:07 Coke last year, smash handled all the round up of data.
20:07 Coke another non-board volunteer this year would be ++
20:07 Util Coke: Got it; thanks
20:08 kid51 Coke: Since we've only had 2 elections before, I doubt we've formally terminated any members.
20:08 Coke see, great reason to volunteer. ;)
20:08 kid51 But that could be handled by simply asking, "Of the members in Aug 2010, are there any who haven't made any contributions in past 12 months?"
20:09 kid51 If we wanted to get that particular.
20:09 kid51 In any event, we don't have to resolve this fully now.  I just wanted to get it on the radar.
20:10 kid51 Other comments on board/annual meeting?  If not, eo2q
20:10 cotto_work Util: go ahead
20:11 Util Can I get an affirmation that no one (present today) thinks we should abandon Win32
20:11 Util as a supported Parrot platform; that we are just trying to figure out a way to achieve it?
20:11 Util (specifics on "how" can wait until the PDS)
20:11 cotto_work Util: absolutely
20:12 cotto_work I don't like it as a platform, but it's too common to avoid supporting.
20:12 dukeleto Util: i don't think anybody wants to abondon Win32. I just wanted to make it clear that my time is focused on other operating systems.
20:13 kid51 We cannot abandon Win32 because our HLLs need to run on it.
20:14 kid51 So it's essential for Parrot project as a whole even if many of us ($self included) are not favorably impressed with it.
20:14 Util dukeleto: I can appreciate that position.
20:14 kid51 So figuring out *scope* of support is what we have to do.
20:15 * benabik now has Win7 installed and is willing to do smoke runs on it if tips are provided for the build environment.
20:15 Util kid51: indeed
20:15 cotto_work benabik: you can steal the invocation of Configure.pl from http://trac.parrot.org/par​rot/wiki/Platforms/Windows
20:15 dukeleto kid51: yes, indeed. I would like to see a *much* more specific platform support document.
20:16 NotFound_b joined #parrotsketch
20:17 Util If no nay-sayers, then thanks, EOQ.
20:17 kid51 dukeleto: I tossed around some ideas with pmichaud this weekend and have forwarded them to Util; we'll get them on parrot-dev shortly
20:17 NotFound left #parrotsketch
20:18 NotFound_b is now known as NotFound
20:21 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
20:21 whiteknight time for my question?
20:22 whiteknight Felipe sent in his CLA, and has been doing some good cleanup work, especially in IMCC. I would like to nominate him to become a new committer
20:22 kid51 Felipe++
20:22 tadzik no
20:22 tadzik ww
20:23 Coke tadzik: OH SNAP.
20:23 tadzik oopie, bad timing :)
20:23 benabik Felipe++ # I'll say yes to anyone who wants to work in IMCC.
20:23 tadzik if my vote counts, Felipe++
20:24 Util Felipe++
20:24 cotto_work whiteknight: do you have some examples of code he's contributed?
20:24 whiteknight I merged one pull request from him last week. He has one other pending and some branches open in his parrot fork
20:25 whiteknight he's closed at least one ticket too
20:25 NotFound Felipe++
20:26 cotto_work whiteknight: if you're confident he knows what he's doing (or can figure it out), +1
20:26 cotto_work which it seems you are
20:26 whiteknight here's his most recent pull request: https://github.com/parrot/parrot/pull/143/files
20:26 whiteknight I have to test it, of course, but it looks competent
20:27 whiteknight and non-trivial
20:27 cotto_work wfm
20:28 cotto_work any volunteers to mentor him?
20:28 whiteknight I'll be glad to
20:28 Felipe thanks :)
20:29 cotto_work Felipe: what's your github account name?
20:29 Felipe felipensp
20:29 cotto_work You're added.  Don't break the build.  Increase the awesome.
20:29 whiteknight and if you can't do both, don't break the build
20:29 Felipe hehe
20:30 benabik Isn't one of the current priorities breaking master?  ;-)
20:30 whiteknight oh right
20:31 cotto_work benabik: good point.
20:31 Util Felipe: and be sure to add yourself to CREDITS, so we know where to find you :)
20:31 whiteknight okay fine. Increase the awesome, the build be damned
20:31 cotto_work so, break the build && break the awesome
20:31 cotto_work or dtrt
20:31 cotto_work which at this point probably involves ignoring me
20:32 whiteknight okay, EOQ
20:33 cotto_work any other questions?
20:33 cotto_work goals for the week?
20:33 kid51 1. Have a good PDS.
20:34 Felipe Util: I'm already in CREDITS.
20:34 cotto_work and post topics for discussion in advance of the meeting
20:34 Util Good job!
20:38 Topic for #parrotsketch is now Priorities for this week: Pre-post/plan PDS topics & attend PDS; Damn the build, full Awesome ahead! | Post closed tickets in your report. | Note: This channel is for our weekly status meetings (Tuesdays at 19:30 UTC); you probably want #parrot instead. | irclog: http://irclog.perlgeek.de/
20:43 cotto_work Let's call it a wrap.
20:44 kid51 left #parrotsketch
20:54 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
21:00 soh_cah_toa left #parrotsketch
21:03 whiteknight left #parrotsketch
21:23 bluescreen left #parrotsketch
21:32 lucian left #parrotsketch
21:36 lucian joined #parrotsketch
21:37 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
22:01 bubaflub left #parrotsketch
22:19 darbelo joined #parrotsketch
23:02 NotFound left #parrotsketch
23:06 whiteknight joined #parrotsketch
23:33 benabik left #parrotsketch
23:35 benabik joined #parrotsketch
23:39 benabik left #parrotsketch
23:44 darbelo left #parrotsketch
23:45 lucian left #parrotsketch
23:46 lucian joined #parrotsketch
23:53 lucian left #parrotsketch
23:54 lucian joined #parrotsketch

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary