Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #parrotsketch, 2013-10-29

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
07:38 denisboyun joined #parrotsketch
10:53 denisboyun joined #parrotsketch
11:42 denis_boyun joined #parrotsketch
13:20 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
13:34 bluescreen joined #parrotsketch
17:58 denis_boyun joined #parrotsketch
19:15 sa1 joined #parrotsketch
19:25 rurban joined #parrotsketch
19:29 Util Pre-report:
19:29 Util # Done:
19:29 Util * Tweaked branch new-packfile-api by rurban++ for merging.
19:29 Util * Dusted off the darwin_dmg changes for Rakudo. Still updating to remove bit-rot.
19:29 Util # Plan to do:
19:29 Util * Merge the new-packfile-api branch today; speak up in the meeting if opposed.
19:29 Util * darwin_dmg for Rakudo
19:29 Util .end
19:30 rurban Done: new-packfile-api updated. Fixed imcc #1015 and wrong warning exception.
19:30 rurban Todo: waiting for new-packfile-api ok. Playing with gcc-melt and google nacl
19:31 Util Hello! Who all are in attendance?
19:31 sa1 Util: hello!
19:31 Util sa1: Welcome back
19:32 sa1 Util: just fell asleep last week. Its 1 in the night here after all.
19:32 rurban Util++ thanks for the imcc grammar rebuild and fixes, This should be in master already, related to #1015
19:32 Util Yikes!
19:33 Util rurban: I wondered about why it was part of the branch. Is it OK to cherry-pick the IMCC changes out into master, and then merge the rest of the branch?
19:34 rurban the last 2 commits should go to master before the merge, yes
19:34 Util Will do.
19:35 rurban looks like the imcparser dependency is wrong, not a big deal though
19:35 Util rurban: If no one objects to the merge, can you confirm that *you* approve of the merge (just for the record)
19:35 rurban I'm just wondering if the api.yaml wording is good enough https://github.com/parrot/parrot/commit/7143daca686ed034c1
19:35 rurban I approve
19:36 Util rurban: Great. I will merge it this afternoon, absent opposition in this meeting.
19:36 rurban Maybe there's a better wording for the eval change for language devs
19:36 Util rurban: Do you mean in the Changelog?
19:37 rurban both
19:37 Util Where besides the Changelog?
19:37 rurban api.yaml
19:37 Util Oh, I missed a line of your text. I see. Thanks
19:38 rurban I hardly emember api.yaml having had some kind of regex to search affected code, but forgot
19:40 Util Do we have any code, in examples or t/ tests, that exercise the API's replacement? If so, then we could point to that in api.yaml.
19:40 rurban tools/dev/show_deprecated.nqp not quite and resolve_deprecated.nqp
19:40 rurban maybe I mixed it up. eval would be easy to search for
19:42 Util Let's both keep an eye out for detail or better wording to go into api.yaml and Changelog, but not delay the merge in their absence.
19:43 rurban I thought of benabik or whiteknight, but they are not here today. that's why I sent the mail
19:43 rurban There are still 20 days to improve the wording
19:44 Util Good point
19:45 rurban Is there a ticket for the darwin dmg?
19:46 Util rurban: No, it is purely a branch of Rakudo Star, to allow anyone to make .dmg packages of R* for OS X.
19:47 Util I included it in my report, just to show where my time got (inappropriately) used; I actually owe Zefram some work on his tickets, that should have had priority.
19:48 rurban I see: https://github.com/rakudo/star/tree/master/ports/darwin_dmg This would need #800 in parrot
19:48 rurban which is basically rurban/darwin-rpath-gh883
19:50 Util I am actually working completely *around* the rpath and relocation issues, by building and packaging exclusively for a single standard location.
19:50 Util /Applications/Rakudo_Star
19:50 rurban Yes, That's mucho easier
19:50 Util Of course, relocatability is a long-term goal.
19:51 Util ... for Parrot itself, as well as its clients.
19:51 rurban in p2 I rebuilt all dylibs on make install to use the actual install prefix paths
19:51 Util rurban: Which version of Darwin are you on?
19:52 rurban rpath is killing me there also
19:52 rurban I got now mavericks
19:52 rurban but I also have older machines without rpath support
19:52 rurban https://osuosl.org/services/supercell should have more (parrot group account)
19:54 Util I am on 10.8 (Mountain Lion). When I last tried this, I was on 10.6, which has a aggravating  bug about ignoring the embedded location information in any library referenced during compilation. It is much easier on 10.8.
19:57 Util rpath would not be such a problem, if the support for it was the same on *every* version of Darwin.
19:57 Util Well, we are in the weeds, and approaching the 30 minute mark.
19:58 Util Any other business to discuss?
19:59 sa1 Nothing from me. I will try to look up a simple bug in the main codebase soon.
19:59 sa1 So that I can find something to work on besides external libraries.
20:00 Util sa1: Thanks!  At the Mentor Summit, I spoke proudly of not only our student's work, but especially of your intent to continue with our project. I am happy to see that intent already coming to fruition.
20:01 sa1 Yes, stating intentions and details would help keep the pressure too!
20:02 Util sa1: It certainly works for me; Zefram already *thump*ed me for forgetting his tickets :^)
20:02 Util Anything else?
20:03 Util Thank you all for participating!
20:03 Util Meeting adjourned.
20:04 rurban Thanks

| Channels | #parrotsketch index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary