Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #perl6-dev, 2016-08-23

| Channels | #perl6-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:04 timotimo now i finally had the opportunity to read through the post as well; jnthn++ :)
00:05 dalek joined #perl6-dev
01:07 [TuxCM] joined #perl6-dev
02:49 dalek joined #perl6-dev
02:53 dj_goku joined #perl6-dev
04:29 tadzik joined #perl6-dev
04:45 [TuxCM] joined #perl6-dev
05:49 lizmat joined #perl6-dev
05:53 [TuxCM] joined #perl6-dev
06:23 * lizmat drops a pin from http://act.yapc.eu/ye2016/training-jeff.html
06:51 TimToady thought you'd learn Perl 6, eh?
06:57 lizmat yeah  :-)   finally  :-)
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: 157b46e | lizmat++ | src/core/Any-iterable-methods.pm:
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: Fix for RT #129044
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom:
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: If the Regex candidate needs to use .ACCEPTS, then it basically is
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: the same as the Mu candidate.  However, since we also have a Callable
07:04 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=129044
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: candidate, and Regex.isa(Callable), that doesn't work.  So we abstract
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: the Mu candidate logic into two private methods, and call these from
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: both the Regex as well as the Mu candidate.
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom:
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: Also micro-optimize the :end versions, because assignment to $_ is
07:04 dalek rakudo/nom: not needed for every iteration.
07:07 [TuxCM] joined #perl6-dev
07:26 dalek rakudo/nom: 5a79516 | lizmat++ | src/core/Any-iterable-methods.pm:
07:26 dalek rakudo/nom: Fix .grep for RT #129044 as well
07:26 dalek rakudo/nom:
07:26 dalek rakudo/nom: Same problem, same solution
07:26 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/5a7951661e
07:26 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=129044
07:39 sno joined #perl6-dev
08:13 TheLemonMan joined #perl6-dev
08:16 dalek rakudo/nom: 9f50553 | lizmat++ | src/core/Baggy.pm:
08:16 dalek rakudo/nom: Make Baggy eqv Baggy at least 10x faster
08:16 dalek rakudo/nom:
08:16 dalek rakudo/nom: For a 3 element bag comparing successfully with another 3 element bag
08:16 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/9f5055315d
08:18 TheLemonMan so much speed!
08:27 [TuxCM] joined #perl6-dev
08:29 TheLemonMan lizmat, I sent a PR with some tests for RT#129044 :)
08:29 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=129044
08:32 dalek roast: 4317d58 | LemonBoy++ | S02-types/list.t:
08:32 dalek roast: Add tests for RT#129044.
08:32 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/4317d5826a
08:32 dalek roast: dca884a | lizmat++ | S02-types/list.t:
08:32 dalek roast: Merge pull request #145 from LemonBoy/rt129044
08:32 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=129044
08:32 dalek roast:
08:32 dalek roast: Add tests for RT#129044.
08:32 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=129044
08:32 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/dca884a53b
08:34 dalek rakudo/nom: 84e889e | moritz++ | CONTRIBUTING.md:
08:34 dalek rakudo/nom: Initial contribution guide for Rakudo
08:34 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/84e889e921
08:36 moritz the commit above should document current practise, not create new policy
08:37 moritz comments / improvements welcome
08:37 TheLemonMan m: class Foo is ::("Str") { };
08:37 camelia rakudo-moar 9f5055: OUTPUT«===SORRY!===␤This type cannot unbox to a native string: P6opaque, QAST::Want␤»
08:37 TheLemonMan looks pretty bad as an error message :\ this used (not) to work though
08:39 moritz agreed
08:39 dalek rakudo/nom: 2181f7e | moritz++ | / (2 files):
08:39 dalek rakudo/nom: Link contribution guide from README
08:39 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/2181f7ec00
08:52 sno left #perl6-dev
08:55 lizmat jnthn TimToady re === and .WHICH
08:56 lizmat I wonder whether it wouldn't be easier to have some kind of .IDENTICAL method, much like .ACCEPTS
08:56 lizmat which at least would allow saner identity tests
08:56 lizmat with the Any.IDENTICAL($other) { self.WHICH eq $other.WHICH }
08:57 lizmat as a fallback
08:57 lizmat (possibly with Mu.IDENTICAL)
08:57 lizmat was such a thing ever considered ?
09:24 lizmat lunch&
09:26 lizmat_ joined #perl6-dev
09:26 dalek joined #perl6-dev
09:32 travis-ci joined #perl6-dev
09:32 travis-ci Rakudo build errored. Elizabeth Mattijsen 'Make Baggy eqv Baggy at least 10x faster
09:32 travis-ci https://travis-ci.org/rakudo/rakudo/builds/154383300 https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/compare/5a7951661ea8...9f5055315d00
09:32 travis-ci left #perl6-dev
09:32 buggable ✓ [travis build above] One job failed due to the timeout. No other failures.
09:46 RabidGravy joined #perl6-dev
09:59 moritz do we have a security contact address already?
10:00 moritz if not, I see two options: ask the RT admins to give us a queue that's not world-readable by default, or go somewhere else for a private mailing list
10:01 timotimo also, how do we manage security-critical releases of updates?
10:02 moritz we... make them? :-)
10:02 timotimo but but but releases are work! :P
10:03 timotimo do we also release updates to older rakudos?
10:03 jnthn I thought I documented this somewhere once :P
10:03 timotimo no timo remembers anything
10:04 timotimo i do remember a pretty good document about ... things
10:04 moritz if anybody remembers where that document is, that would be great
10:04 timotimo was probably a gist?
10:05 moritz then I can link it from rakudo.org/about and from https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/projects/313
10:06 jnthn Yeah, I barely had the energy to write the doc at the time. I figured since folks were asking after it so much back then they'd take care of its posterity :P
10:06 ShimmerFairy timotimo: I'm sure any security-critical releases are handled with a healthy dose of "OH GOD NO!!!"  :P
10:06 timotimo :)
10:08 jnthn https://gist.github.com/jnthn/c10742f9d51da80226fa
10:08 timotimo nine: do we have a good plan for "resources that are allowed to be missing"? because the GTK::Simple module has .dll files that it might download from the web, but that's obviously not useful on linux or mac. at the moment, i just touch the relevant paths so that empty files get installed under those names
10:08 timotimo ah, it was a secret gist, that's why i didn't find it when browsing jnthn's gists
10:09 jnthn Note that we didn't declare any releases LTS yet :)
10:09 timotimo indeed
10:09 timotimo seems like we're never satisfied withour releases :P
10:10 ShimmerFairy timotimo: without knowing what part of the system you're talking about, I'd think that problem is more "how do we specify platform-specific deps?", perhaps
10:10 moritz TL;DR version: for security bugs, we make a bugfix release of the latest release, and one for every LTS release of the last 12 months; right?
10:11 timotimo ShimmerFairy: that's also a question, but for quality-of-life, we're also supplying the actual platform-specific deps directly
10:11 jnthn moritz: One for every LTS release *still in support* as far as I remember; depends how long we declared support.
10:11 moritz ok
10:11 jnthn moritz: The point being that our "Long Term" will become increasingly long with time, as we get better at doing that. :)
10:12 moritz but we don't have a security submission guideline yet
10:12 moritz so, what do you prefer? RT or private mailinglist?
10:12 jnthn I believe it's a separate RT queue for Perl 5 and I think that works well, in that it collects discussion and it can be made public later by moving it to the public queue at an appropriate time (after disclosure)
10:13 moritz ok, then I'll contact the RT admins
10:13 jnthn So I'd nab that approach :)
10:13 moritz who should have access to that queue? Everybody with perl6 bug admin? or more restricted?
10:14 moritz erm, everybody with rw access to the perl6 queue, not bug admin
10:15 timotimo should we have private github repos for security-related changes, or will we just push patches back and forth on the RT?
10:16 timotimo i could imagine it's very easy to fat-finger an accidental push of a security-critical patch to the regular repositories
10:18 moritz timotimo: I'd wait with that until it becomes a necessity
10:18 moritz timotimo: I don't think too many people will collaborate on the first security patches
10:18 timotimo when a security-related thing hits us, we'll look like a group of ants that just had its stone lifted from above it :P
10:18 timotimo fair enough
10:18 timotimo security patches are usually between one and ten lines
10:18 jnthn moritz: Perhaps more restricted in that I'm pretty sure there'll be people with perl6 bug queue access from way back who aren't really involved any more
10:18 ShimmerFairy I get the feeling security updates would often fall more on the "wait, what's wrong?" side of discussion than "wait, is this patch right?" :)
10:19 moritz having an explicit policy for security things already puts as ahead of many projects :-)
10:19 moritz ShimmerFairy: aye
10:21 moritz jnthn: then my approach would be to go through the last rakudo, nqp and moarvm contributors and include active contributors
10:21 moritz and use the same queue for all three projects
10:22 ShimmerFairy For queue access, I'd prefer something more restricted than "logged in", at the least; ideally only people who work on security issues should need to know about them :)
10:22 ShimmerFairy (does RT support the concept of a "write-only" queue? O.o)
10:22 jnthn moritz: Seems reasonable to me
10:22 ShimmerFairy "write-only" except for your own bugs, that is
10:23 moritz ShimmerFairy: all queues you can't read are write-only, because you can always send mails to number@rt.perl.org
10:24 moritz in general, I think that read-access to security bugs is overrated. Some projects even use world-readable security bug reports
10:24 ShimmerFairy oh, cool. So the security queue would end up being (effectively) a "only see what you've reported" type thing, then? And how about submitting bugs via the web interface, would that work?
10:25 moritz ShimmerFairy: no, it would be that you submit the bug, can't read it, but receive notifications if sombody CC's you
10:26 ShimmerFairy so (effectively) then means "if you keep the email thread, and reporters select the right reply option" :)
10:26 moritz [Coke]: you seem to be the primary Perl 6 bugadmin contact. Do you want to be involved in the creation of a perl6-security queue in RT?
10:27 ShimmerFairy I can see the argument for world-readability, letting people know their system might be vulnerable in the interim, though ideally we would then have a more proactive way of letting people know about security issues/updates. Not sure how that'd be done though.
10:27 timotimo the gold standard is responsible disclosure
10:28 ShimmerFairy (something like gentoo's 'eselect news'?)
10:28 timotimo where the news about the vulnerability drop at the same time the patches get available
10:28 ShimmerFairy Yeah, I personally agree with the idea that you don't mention it until the problem can be fixed by suddenly-anxious people looking to update :)
10:29 timotimo you don't generally want to give 0days out to everybody before the patch
10:37 ShimmerFairy I dunno, sometimes people want a little excitement in their life :V
10:39 [TuxCM] joined #perl6-dev
12:13 mst moritz: hey, people keep talking about you having done more on the Configure and Makefile code than most
12:14 mst moritz: I'm currently breaking it a lot; patches will not immedaitely be forthcoming but a set of expedient ways to make the things I need to work work will do and I'll want to bring them back upstream ASAP to avoid keeping my hacks
12:14 moritz mst: ok, good to know; I myself don't have big changes planned atm
12:14 mst but mostly, I wanted to state for the record, when I refer to this as amateur hour while complaining about it, this doesn't mean it isn't well-factored-sometimes amateur hour
12:14 mst just a disaster of assumptions and lack of years of pain doing toolchain stuff
12:15 mst it doesn't make me want to burn it to the ground and start again
12:15 mst which usually happens within the first ten minutes when autocrack is involved
12:15 mst just with toolchain hat on, I hate everything even more than usual :D
12:15 moritz mst: fwiw I didn't come up with most of the system; what I did was allowing builds with several backends in the same directory
12:15 nine mst: lexical module loading will be a bit more involved than expected. And there's some tough questions coming up...
12:16 mst moritz: ok, who do I need to repeat that to?
12:16 moritz mst: nobody, I think
12:16 * mst wants to make sure he can rant about this, and improve it, and not make anybody feel like their puppy's been kicked
12:17 mst nine: yeah, well, it's one of the most important and ground breaking features of perl6's design as advertised over the years, of course it wasn't going to be -simple-
12:17 mst if it was simple, I'd've done a Devel::Decalre grade hack to demonstrate how to do it and then baited p5p until they did it properly
12:18 nine It's not _that_ hard to get rakudo to import the name into the current lexpad instead of GLOBAL. But fun starts once you consider A and B both using C but only A also using C::D.
12:19 nine D is located in C's nested stash. And both A and B should really see the same C but only A should also see C::D
12:19 mst A and B should only see the same C if their ver+authority+etc. specs both resolve to the same module
12:20 mst but surely either C exported C::D or it doesn't
12:20 mst so either both see it or neither
12:20 nine This has nothing to do with exporting. That's why I talk about lexical module loading while module importing would be more precise. But that's ambiguous and even more confusing...
12:21 nine Well let's say if both A and B just "use C;" both really should see the same unit class C; Otherwise shoving C objects back and forth will be troublesome
12:21 pmurias joined #perl6-dev
12:22 * nine learned a lot about the precise difference between packages, stashes and lexpads while playing around with this
12:26 mst ok, when I said exporting, I meant 'symbols that appear in lexical scope after 'use X''
12:26 mst which will be X, any exports of X, and I guess any subnamespaces of X marked as externally visible
12:27 mst I dunno, personally I'd 'use C::D' explicitly if I wanted that
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: aaf7c3c | lizmat++ | src/core/Exception.pm:
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: Initial support for error reporting plugins
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom:
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: This attempts to address RT #128983 .  Whenever an error is to be
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: reported, the RAKUDO_EXCEPTIONS_HANDLER environment variable is
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: checked: if it contains something, it is considered to be the name
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: of a class extending the Exceptions:: class (so "JSON" would refer
12:27 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=128983
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: to the Exceptions::JSON class).  If such a class exists, then the
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: method "process" is called in that class, with the Exception object
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: as the parameter.  That method is than supposed to completely handle
12:27 dalek rakudo/nom: the error reporting.
12:28 mst nine: honestly, if C::D is visible to A, what harm does also making it visible to B do?
12:28 lizmat review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/aaf7c3c
12:30 nine mst: I don't know. That's a bit deeper in language design territory than I'm comfortable with. But yes, even with a visible C::D it's strictly an improvement over visible everything.
12:31 nine The reason for me to take this on is that a simple use Catalyst:from<Perl5> could spam the GLOBAL namespace with 100s of unwanted names causing all sorts of collisions. But getting a Catalyst::Dispatcher and whatnot would be much less of an issue.
12:31 mst nine: personally, I would expect a use lines results to be deterministic based on it, and the lines before it
12:31 mst nine: trying to avoid importing symbols that don't get used later strikes me as ... odd
12:32 mst unless you're tree shaking for a production precomp or something
12:32 mst but we basically -must- load the whole compunit anyway AFAICS
12:32 mst so I don't honestly see that you're not just imagining a problem we don't need to have
12:33 nine Loading Catalyst will end up loading some HTTP::Request module that will collide with a Perl 6 HTTP::Request module needed by some other library your Perl 6 program is using.
12:33 nine And doing web requests in a web environment is not really uncommon :)
12:34 lizmat nine: are you going to be in Cluj or Innsbruck ?
12:34 mst right, the Inline::Perl5 way of deciding what to import is unfit for purpose currently but it was also the stupidest thing that could possibly work
12:34 nine lizmat: both :)
12:34 nine lizmat: arrived in Cluj ~ 2 hours ago
12:35 lizmat cool, then I hope to be able to discuss these subjects f2f soon :-)
12:35 mst nine: btw
12:36 mst C could contain C::D and C::E and only ever make C::D visible right?
12:37 mst nine: YOU ARE NOT IN #yapc
12:37 mst nine: THIS IS AN ERROR
12:40 NotZoffix joined #perl6-dev
12:41 dalek rakudo/nom: b00e9c4 | moritz++ | CONTRIBUTING.md:
12:41 dalek rakudo/nom: Fix typo, patrickz++
12:41 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/b00e9c4dcd
12:42 NotZoffix lizmat: what are you thoughts on having this line return only if the .process() method returns a true value? This will allow for use of "passthrough" event handlers. For example, Exception::Rollbar could ship off the exceptions to rollbar.com, and return a false value from the .process method, so regular Rakudo error handling mechanism would continue its thing and display the regular error messages to the user: https://github.co
12:43 lizmat NotZoffix: ack
12:45 TheLemonMan what do you think about emitting a p6init when serializing some unit to mbc form ? it should be the missing step to have runnable moarvm bytecode from the p6 side
12:46 jnthn TheLemonMan: Makes sense, I think. And running it more than once is no problem, I think it guards against that. :)
12:47 TheLemonMan yep, it only registers the rakudo_scalar container once
12:48 mst OK
12:49 mst why is there an nqp-m binary
12:49 mst but rakudo basically completely ignores it except for --show-config
12:49 mst and invokves moar directly
12:52 nine mst: because nqp-m is only a shell script
12:53 mst ajh
12:53 jnthn I don't see why that'd stop the rakudo build process from invoking it... :)
12:53 moritz the performance overhead should be neglible
12:53 mst right, but at that point I think it's the wrong shell script
12:53 mst anyway
12:53 mst that means it totally won't solve this jumblefuck
12:54 mst like THERE IS NOT CONCEPT of nqp::prefix in --showconfig
12:54 mst but I'll fix that later
12:55 mst ugh
12:55 mst the build process *does* invoke it
12:55 mst as well
12:57 AlexDaniel joined #perl6-dev
13:08 mst ALMOST FUCKING THERE
13:09 dalek rakudo/nom: 826d438 | lizmat++ | src/core/Exception.pm:
13:09 dalek rakudo/nom: .process now expected to return Boolean
13:09 dalek rakudo/nom:
13:09 dalek rakudo/nom: To have regular exception processing happening after all, return a
13:09 dalek rakudo/nom: True value.  Suggested by Zoffix++
13:09 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/826d438f7a
13:13 dalek roast: 2ab7a1f | lizmat++ | S32-exceptions/misc.t:
13:13 dalek roast: Fix test now that we also have an Exceptions class
13:13 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/2ab7a1f67d
13:25 travis-ci joined #perl6-dev
13:25 travis-ci Rakudo build errored. Elizabeth Mattijsen 'Initial support for error reporting plugins
13:25 travis-ci https://travis-ci.org/rakudo/rakudo/builds/154437892 https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/compare/2181f7ec00d2...aaf7c3cf5738
13:25 travis-ci left #perl6-dev
13:25 buggable ✓ [travis build above] 2 builds failed. All due to the timeout
13:26 skids joined #perl6-dev
13:28 TheLemonMan hmm, at what time the rakudo ops are effectively registered into moarvm ? after a quick test they still aren't there when the outer CompUnit :main (or :load) is hit
13:34 [Coke] (security contact address) I started this process back at Christmas.
13:38 [Coke] moritz: forwarded you the email chain.
13:38 [Coke] ... no I didn't, because your email has changed.
13:45 [Coke] RT: 1367; @LARRY: 17; BUG: 449; BUILD: 9; CONC: 40; DOCS: 1; GLR: 4; JVM: 67; LHF: 1; LTA: 115; MATH: 4; NATIVECALL: 15; NEW: 877; NYI: 89; OSX: 5; PERF: 25; POD: 17; PRECOMP: 12; REGEX: 24; RFC: 41; SEGV: 35; SPESH: 1; STAR: 5; TESTNEEDED: 25; TODO: 10; UNI: 30; UNTAGGED: 394; WEIRD: 3
13:46 [Coke] m: my $f = any(<a b>); say "a" ~~ / $f /; # RT 127106
13:46 camelia rakudo-moar 826d43: OUTPUT«P6opaque: no such attribute '$!pos' in type Cursor when trying to get a value␤  in block <unit> at <tmp> line 1␤␤»
13:48 mst argh
13:48 mst M_LIBPATH apparently means two things
13:48 * mst sighs
13:48 * mst crowbars some more
13:49 [Coke] isn't https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=127906 notabug? isn't | first come first serve?
13:52 [Coke] m: my $a = [1..3],[4..6]; dd $a; #RT #126336
13:52 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=126336
13:52 camelia rakudo-moar 826d43: OUTPUT«WARNINGS for <tmp>:␤Useless use of ".." in expression "4..6" in sink context (line 1)␤Array $a = $[1, 2, 3]␤»
13:53 [Coke] m: my $a = [1,2],[3,4]; dd $a;
13:53 camelia rakudo-moar 826d43: OUTPUT«WARNINGS for <tmp>:␤Useless use of constant integer 4 in sink context (lines 1, 1)␤Useless use of constant integer 3 in sink context (lines 1, 1)␤Array $a = $[1, 2]␤»
13:58 [Coke] got UNTAGGED under 375.
14:01 dalek rakudo/nom: 998e2b7 | moritz++ | CREDITS:
14:01 dalek rakudo/nom: Use different email address in CREDITS
14:01 dalek rakudo/nom:
14:01 dalek rakudo/nom: the old one is bouncing right now
14:01 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/998e2b701d
14:04 cognominal joined #perl6-dev
14:06 lizmat afk&
14:09 perlpilot m: "bc" ~~ / ||@(<b bc>) >>/ or say "Failed"; say $/;
14:09 camelia rakudo-moar 826d43: OUTPUT«Failed␤Nil␤»
14:10 perlpilot m: "bc" ~~ / "b" || "bc" >>/ or say "Failed"; say $/;
14:10 camelia rakudo-moar 826d43: OUTPUT«「b」␤»
14:11 perlpilot m: "bc" ~~ / "a" || "b" || "bc" >>/ or say "Failed"; say $/;
14:11 camelia rakudo-moar 998e2b: OUTPUT«「b」␤»
14:11 TimToady the >> doesn't distribute
14:12 TimToady but the first one looks kinda like a bug
14:13 TimToady m: "bc" ~~ / || < b bc > >>/ or say "Failed"; say $/;
14:13 camelia rakudo-moar 998e2b: OUTPUT«「bc」␤»
14:13 perlpilot Aye, I'm just playing with RT#127906   Coke asked if it's notabug.  I think it is
14:13 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=127906
14:13 TimToady the @() should work like <>, I'd think
14:14 mst AUGH
14:14 mst Unhandled exception: Missing or wrong version of dependency 'src/Perl6/Grammar.nqp' (from 'gen/moar/m-main.nqp')
14:14 mst ah COCKS it installed crap into NQP
14:16 mst Couldn't load Rakudo REPL.pm: While looking for '/home/matthewt/tmp/moarl/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi/Alien/MoarVM/Install/share/nqp/lib/Perl6/BOOTSTRAP.moarvm': no such file or directory
14:16 mst wut
14:19 mst is there some baked in dir for finding things like that?
14:20 mst hmm
14:24 mst augh. ok, one last hacky attempt
14:27 mst aaaaaaaaaaaa
14:29 mst oh gods DAMN IT
14:31 jdv79 good to know you're having fun
14:31 [Coke] <rogers>Language</rogers>
14:32 mst src/vm/moar/ModuleLoaderVMConfig.nqp
14:32 mst hardcodes looking for bits of rakudo in the moarvm tree
14:32 mst in spite of moarvm having a --libpath option
14:33 timotimo you might be able to get that path from backendconfig perhaps
14:33 mst no
14:33 mst that's the bug
14:33 mst it uses backendconfig instead of rakudo's final PREFIX
14:33 timotimo oh?
14:33 mst thereby shitting itself
14:34 mst remember I'm trying to do separate clean trees
14:35 timotimo ah, backendconfig comes from what's compiled into moarvm, then?
14:35 mst yes
14:35 mst so if you install rakudo somewhere else
14:37 [Coke] RT: 1367; @LARRY: 17; BOOTSTRAP: 3; BUG: 453; BUILD: 9; CONC: 40; DOCS: 1; GLR: 4; IO: 12; JVM: 67; LHF: 1; LTA: 115; MATH: 6; NATIVECALL: 15; NEW: 874; NYI: 89; OO: 5; OSX: 5; PERF: 26; POD: 17; PRECOMP: 12; REGEX: 28; REPL: 3; RFC: 41; SEGV: 35; SPESH: 1; STAR: 5; TESTNEEDED: 25; TODO: 10; UNI: 30; UNTAGGED: 373; WEIRD: 3
14:38 mst I think it's time to go eat before I throw a chair
14:40 * [Coke] gives mst a snickers.
14:40 TheLemonMan don't forget to wrap the chair in a try { ... }
14:41 timotimo if you don't wrap it in a try, someone else might catch it for you
14:41 jnthn So long as you don't throw a mug...
14:42 timotimo i can't handle a perl 7 right now
14:43 pmurias nine: if we load perl5 module at use time to import stuff into namespaces how are we going to precompile stuff?
14:43 yoleaux2 22 Aug 2016 12:10Z <jnthn> pmurias: Ah, makes sense (the local register thing, and why a temporary was needed). The leak fix looks good.
14:43 mst oh AAAAAAAAAAAA it tests for blib/ even in install mode
14:43 mst that's what was hiding the problem
14:44 mst right. ok. food.
14:44 mst &
14:56 TheLemonMan correct me if I'm wrong, but rakudo_scalar is registered by p6init which is registered by the BOOTSTRAP which /needs/ rakudo_scalar to be loaded by the ModuleLoader
14:56 TheLemonMan looks like a catch22 situation
14:58 pmurias joined #perl6-dev
15:37 skids joined #perl6-dev
15:38 [TuxCM] joined #perl6-dev
15:56 perlpilot [Coke]: When mst is not himself (as in the snickers commercials), who is he?  :)
16:06 skids .oO(Lewis Black?)
16:23 b2gills .oO( Maybe mst always needs a Snickers. That would explain a lot actually )
16:34 zengargoyle joined #perl6-dev
16:34 perlpilot b2gills++  :)
16:35 b2gills mst += Inf
16:37 travis-ci joined #perl6-dev
16:37 travis-ci Rakudo build passed. Moritz Lenz 'Use different email address in CREDITS
16:37 travis-ci https://travis-ci.org/rakudo/rakudo/builds/154463205 https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/compare/826d438f7a3e...998e2b701d9b
16:37 travis-ci left #perl6-dev
16:46 brrt joined #perl6-dev
17:23 cognominal joined #perl6-dev
17:44 brrt joined #perl6-dev
18:44 [Coke] https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=127443 - my take here is that binding to $a throws out the type you had. not sure if that's correct, though. anyone?
18:45 [Coke] m: { my module Cool::Utils; } ; say Cool::Utils
18:45 camelia rakudo-moar 998e2b: OUTPUT«===SORRY!=== Error while compiling <tmp>␤Semicolon form of 'module' without 'unit' is illegal.  You probably want to use 'unit module'␤at <tmp>:1␤------> { my module Cool::Utils;⏏ } ; say Cool::Utils␤»
18:46 [Coke] m: { unit module Cool::Utils; } ; say Cool::Utils
18:46 camelia rakudo-moar 998e2b: OUTPUT«===SORRY!=== Error while compiling <tmp>␤A unit-scoped module definition is not allowed in a subscope;␤Please use the block form.␤at <tmp>:1␤------> { unit module Cool::Utils;⏏ } ; say Cool::Utils␤»
18:58 [Coke] is [OO] a reasonable tag for .WHICH questions?
18:59 [Coke] s/questions/tickets/
19:03 [Coke] .tell TimToady newish sink ticket at RT #128692
19:03 synopsebot6 Link:  https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=128692
19:03 yoleaux2 [Coke]: I'll pass your message to TimToady.
19:34 RabidGravy joined #perl6-dev
20:14 Ven joined #perl6-dev
20:43 cognominal joined #perl6-dev
21:00 TheLemonMan joined #perl6-dev
21:09 dalek Heuristic branch merge: pushed 90 commits to nqp/better-O by arnsholt
21:26 lizmat joined #perl6-dev
21:27 dalek Heuristic branch merge: pushed 92 commits to rakudo/better-O by arnsholt
21:49 cognominal joined #perl6-dev
22:27 skids joined #perl6-dev
22:46 zengargoyle joined #perl6-dev
23:18 zengargoyle joined #perl6-dev
23:27 TimToady joined #perl6-dev
23:59 [TuxCM] joined #perl6-dev

| Channels | #perl6-dev index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary