Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #perl6, 2012-03-06

Perl 6 | Reference Documentation | Rakudo

| Channels | #perl6 index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:03 dav__a joined #perl6
00:12 sorear good * #perl6
00:15 sorear timotimo: fwiw, you make bugs by mailing to rakudobug@perl.org
00:15 sorear There is no format; anything in the mail goes into the bug
00:18 sorear niecza bugs go to https://github.com/sorear/niecza/issues
00:19 sorear I guess if I'm serious about this I should get an org acct eventually ... :P
00:24 japhb_ joined #perl6
00:26 japhb_ The niecza README says Mono "2.8.2 or later is recommended for best performance".  What's the scale of the difference from 2.6.7?  A few percent?  Half again faster?  Several times faster?
00:27 sorear Around twice as fast when I last measured it, which was rather long ago
00:27 sorear You need to set MONO_ENV_OPTIONS=--gc=sgen to fully realize it
00:27 japhb_ sorear, Is this in addition to 'RUN_CLR=mono-sgen'?
00:29 japhb_ Also, has anyone tested recently whether Niecza still works with Mono 2.4.x? (2.4.3.1 in particular; that's what's packaged on RHEL/CentOS/SL 6)
00:29 sorear japhb_: no, equivalent.
00:29 sorear No.
00:29 japhb_ OK
00:33 japhb_ What does Niecza have for doing non-blocking socket IO these days?
00:36 [particle] joined #perl6
00:38 sorear japhb_: still nothing p6y, I keep forgetting
00:38 japhb_ sorear, awww.  :-)
00:39 japhb_ Is Panda currently able to work with *both* a Rakudo and a Niecza installed?
00:46 timotimo so, is there an official guide on how to pronounce "niecza"?
00:48 sorear cz as in czech republic
00:48 TimToady knee eh cha
00:48 sorear (I have some regrets about this, but the cost-benefit analysis does not support a name change)
00:49 * TimToady remembers remarking at the now-or-never point
00:49 TimToady .oO("We can't change this; we have 11 users already.")
00:49 havenn joined #perl6
00:50 sorear japhb_: if you wanted to invent a Perl 6 non-blocking socket I/O system and prototype it using http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library​/system.net.sockets.socket.select.aspx , that would be *awesome*
00:51 japhb_ sorear, *chuckle* I saw what you did there.
00:51 sorear (note: the CLR, like the Win32 API on which it is modelled, only supports selecting on sockets, not general FDs)
00:54 japhb_ The part of me that 10 years ago would have ranted at that last statement has instead gone off and mixed itself something tasty as a distraction.
00:55 TimToady the right way forward will be a built-in event loop with several event sources that can feed it
00:55 TimToady then we don't have to care how the system splits these things up
00:56 japhb_ TimToady, an AnyEvent sort of beast, but standard in Perl 6?
00:56 TimToady yes
00:57 japhb_ Hmmmm.  I will cogitate on this later -- any prior art (besides of course the Perl 5 AnyEvent module) that I should consider?
00:58 TimToady Erlang?
00:58 TimToady Go?
00:58 TimToady Smalltalk?  :)
01:00 japhb_ Wow, that's a rather larger space of prior art than I was expecting, but OK, maybe it's time to learn (yet another) language or two.
01:00 * japhb_ mentally weighs "learn new language", "research GC algorithms", and "JFDI" as options for next hack session.
01:02 colomon japhb: you should be able to use panda with rakudo and panda-niecza with niecza at the same time.
01:04 _jaldhar joined #perl6
01:04 japhb_ colomon, OK.  Where is panda-niecza?
01:05 colomon https://github.com/colomon/panda
01:07 japhb_ colomon, How much do the sources drift between panda and panda-niecza?  And is there a plan to unify them again?
01:08 colomon drift is slight but significant
01:08 colomon there is a plan to have a plan to unify them again.
01:08 [particle] joined #perl6
01:11 japhb_ colomon, *chuckle*  OK, understood, thank you.
01:13 sisar joined #perl6
01:18 Tene rakudobug?
01:18 Tene Bah.
01:18 scott__ joined #perl6
01:34 sorear TimToady: when you get a chance I'd like to finish our thing on Nil and @array vars from last night
01:35 sorear TimToady: niecza currently treats 'my @foo' as something like 'my Array $foo ::= []'; I get the impression you're treating it as 'my Array $foo # will autovivify when written to', is this correct?
01:54 alester joined #perl6
01:55 * TimToady is not actually taking a position, merely trying to understand the semantic options
02:01 REPLeffect joined #perl6
02:25 havenn joined #perl6
02:36 xinming joined #perl6
02:42 havenn joined #perl6
02:46 araujo joined #perl6
02:51 havenn joined #perl6
03:10 havenn joined #perl6
03:11 orafu joined #perl6
03:35 havenn joined #perl6
03:48 japhb sorear, is there a common set of benchmarks that you use when assessing the performance of niecza?
04:12 sorear japhb: only self-compilation
04:21 Fuad joined #perl6
04:22 Fuad Hi all
04:24 envi_ joined #perl6
04:27 sorear Fuad: Hello!  Welcome to #perl6.
04:28 Fuad sorear: Thank you!
04:29 sorear Oops.
04:29 sorear Just checked my logs, you aren't actually new here.
04:29 sorear Hi anyway.
04:30 shachaf sorear: Hello! Welcome to #perl6.
04:31 sshaw__ joined #perl6
04:31 sorear shachaf: huh?
04:32 * shachaf stops nonsensing.
04:32 sorear S09 seems quite low on tests.
04:32 lestrrat joined #perl6
04:38 havenn joined #perl6
04:45 Fuad sorear: yeah :)
05:09 plobsing joined #perl6
05:26 NamelessTee joined #perl6
05:27 birdwindupbird joined #perl6
05:38 woosley joined #perl6
05:39 alc joined #perl6
05:50 am0c joined #perl6
05:56 kaleem joined #perl6
06:25 GlitchMr joined #perl6
06:38 MayDaniel joined #perl6
06:55 takesako joined #perl6
07:02 wtw joined #perl6
07:04 awwaiid joined #perl6
07:06 Fuad left #perl6
07:18 woosley joined #perl6
07:21 dalek niecza: 1f35f89 | sorear++ | lib/ (2 files):
07:21 dalek niecza: Implement Zen slices and @foo[1;2;3] access
07:21 dalek niecza:
07:21 dalek niecza: Note that there are no actual shaped arrays yet; this is simply the
07:21 dalek niecza: @foo[1][2][3] equivalence per L<S09/Cascaded subscripting of multidimensional arrays>.
07:21 dalek niecza: review: https://github.com/sorear/niecza/commit/1f35f8930f
07:28 wooden joined #perl6
07:28 wooden joined #perl6
07:41 sorear TimToady: what is the intended semantics of my @array[**] ?
07:42 * sorear wonders whether it would be more pragmatic to try and adapt niecza's existing Array and Hash classes to multi-D or to create new ones
07:45 * moritz guesses that nobody here has much wisdom to share on that matter
07:45 moritz and yes, I agree. Not many S09 tests
07:45 moritz mostly because I haven't understood what most of S09 says
07:47 * moritz -> GPW
08:44 mj41 joined #perl6
08:49 * sorear -> sleep
08:52 masak morgnung, #perl6
08:53 tadzik Guten Morgen, #perl6
08:56 jnthn GPW. Dag 2.
08:57 jnthn Oops. That wasn't German, was it...
08:57 * jnthn clearly needs a second cup of coffee...
08:59 bonsaikitten jnthn: nee :) "Dag" is dutch, "Tag" would be proper german
09:07 fsergot joined #perl6
09:32 key_ joined #perl6
09:34 woosley left #perl6
09:39 masak yay! I just hit 100% preparedness for my talk. :)
09:39 masak with all of... 20 minutes left.
09:39 * masak , master of procrastination
09:40 * masak polishes some things
09:44 key_ hello to every one on this chanel, i am new to perl6, and also beginner in using  IRC.  i was wondering if templatelanguges (like template toolkit) could be compiled to parrot bytecode and than be used from within perl6 code?
09:48 fsergot joined #perl6
09:49 tadzik possibly, yes
09:49 tadzik there's a Rosella library for templating
09:50 tadzik (Rosella is a library collection for Parrot)
09:54 key_ thank you
10:01 dakkar joined #perl6
10:31 Kaswara joined #perl6
10:33 fsergot joined #perl6
10:34 bacek ~~
10:34 phenny bacek: 05 Mar 11:56Z <jnthn> tell bacek plesae don't change Makefile for now, I have a bunch of re-org of it in a branch, and I don't want to have to re-do that.
10:34 phenny bacek: 05 Mar 11:57Z <jnthn> tell bacek kill_props_vtables branch should be fine
10:34 phenny bacek: 05 Mar 11:58Z <jnthn> tell bacek oh, I see moritz++ already sorted stuff out wrt that branch :)
10:34 bacek jnthn, aloha. In which branch? bs?
10:37 moritz which reminds me, I still need to look at the new_props branch
10:37 moritz it's just a simple argument reordering, right?
10:37 bacek moritz, yes
10:45 jnthn bacek: bs is merged
10:47 jnthn lunch &
10:48 bacek jnthn, ok, thanks.
10:48 Tedd1^ joined #perl6
10:54 [Coke] joined #perl6
10:58 tadzik joined #perl6
10:59 Trashlord joined #perl6
11:03 preflex_ joined #perl6
11:05 fsergot joined #perl6
11:24 NamelessTee joined #perl6
11:26 bacek jnthn, moritz, can you look at https://gist.github.com/1985777? It's proposed changes in nqp Makefile. Life is too short to wait for useless rebuilds..
11:32 snearch joined #perl6
11:43 xinming joined #perl6
11:47 key_ joined #perl6
11:53 pernatiy joined #perl6
11:55 key_ left #perl6
12:03 moritz +1 if it works also with -j
12:04 moritz jnthn++ is giving his talk right now :-)
12:04 rafl masak: are the slides for your macros talk available online? i didn't quite manage to attend earlier
12:06 bacek moritz, yes, it's step forward to parallel compilation.
12:11 bacek moritz, I can start branch to do it bit more properly
12:11 moritz bacek: a branch would make it easier to apply and harder to forget
12:12 bacek moritz, deal :)
12:12 grondilu joined #perl6
12:23 pyrimidine joined #perl6
12:23 Grrrr joined #perl6
12:23 rsimoes joined #perl6
12:23 arnsholt joined #perl6
12:23 lue joined #perl6
12:23 snarkyboojum joined #perl6
12:23 Juerd joined #perl6
12:23 PerlJam joined #perl6
12:23 Yappoko____ joined #perl6
12:29 xinming joined #perl6
12:31 skids joined #perl6
12:39 bluescreen10 joined #perl6
12:44 tokuhirom joined #perl6
12:49 ab5tract joined #perl6
12:50 grondilu left #perl6
13:03 * jnthn wonders if that Makefile change works on Windows...
13:03 jnthn If it's a branch, I'll try it.
13:23 Trashlord joined #perl6
13:24 * [Coke] misses au!
13:39 GlitchMr joined #perl6
13:47 [Coke] n: say 70/90.perl
13:47 p6eval niecza v15-4-g1f35f89: OUTPUT«0.77777777777777779␤»
13:47 [Coke] n: say 70/90
13:47 p6eval niecza v15-4-g1f35f89: OUTPUT«0.77777777777777779␤»
13:49 au /o
13:49 phenny au: 02 Mar 22:58Z <[Coke]> ask au given http://feather.perl6.nl/~coke/pugs.diff, all the method seem to work: I can do "3.Int.Num.Rat" -> 3/1 - however, when I say "Int" with this patch, I get an error about multis. pre-patch it returns "::Int"; any pointers?
13:50 * au tries the patch
13:51 au [Coke]: commit to a branch e.g. wip/typefix next time?
13:52 * au does exactly that
13:52 dalek Pugs.hs/wip/typefix: 0285f84 | au++ | Pugs/src/Pugs/Prim.hs:
13:52 dalek Pugs.hs/wip/typefix: * WIP: Type methods for Int/Num/Rat from coke++
13:52 dalek Pugs.hs/wip/typefix: review: https://github.com/perl6/Pugs.hs/commit/0285f8489f
13:52 tokuhir__ joined #perl6
13:57 sftp joined #perl6
14:03 tadzik nom: Int.^methods.grep(*.name ne "").sort
14:03 p6eval rakudo 3c5838: OUTPUT«(signal SEGV)»
14:08 sisar joined #perl6
14:10 moritz tadzik: [X] Achievement unlocked
14:10 tadzik :)
14:11 tadzik it's all the _decontainerize() thingy
14:11 moritz it's in decontainerize from find_best_candidate
14:12 tadzik nom: Int.^methods.grep(*.name ne "").eager
14:12 p6eval rakudo 3c5838: OUTPUT«(signal SEGV)»
14:13 plobsing joined #perl6
14:13 [Coke] au: you're back!
14:13 moritz perl6: say so "\n" ~~ /\v/
14:13 p6eval pugs b927740: OUTPUT«*** No such subroutine: "&so"␤    at /tmp/joxO82VRHP line 1, column 5 - line 2, column 1␤»
14:13 p6eval ..rakudo 3c5838, niecza v15-4-g1f35f89: OUTPUT«True␤»
14:13 moritz perl6: say so "\r" ~~ /\v/
14:14 p6eval pugs b927740: OUTPUT«*** No such subroutine: "&so"␤    at /tmp/TXLG8zNONa line 1, column 5 - line 2, column 1␤»
14:14 p6eval ..rakudo 3c5838, niecza v15-4-g1f35f89: OUTPUT«True␤»
14:14 moritz perl6: say so "\r" ~~ /\h/
14:14 p6eval rakudo 3c5838, niecza v15-4-g1f35f89: OUTPUT«False␤»
14:14 p6eval ..pugs b927740: OUTPUT«*** No such subroutine: "&so"␤    at /tmp/TS5s0QKXXK line 1, column 5 - line 2, column 1␤»
14:16 kaleem joined #perl6
14:16 [Coke] do we announce git issues on github.com/perl6 projects here?
14:16 [Coke] (should we?)
14:17 masak my autopun lightning talk contains 13 autopuns :)
14:17 [Coke] au: any pointers on where to look to resolve that issue? I could not figure out with casual inspection where "Int" was originally defined.
14:18 moritz masak: and is it self-referential?
14:19 masak the talk? I'm too confused to know.
14:19 masak there's a high chance it is.
14:21 au [Coke]: just a sec...
14:22 fsergot joined #perl6
14:22 fsergot o/
14:23 [Coke] au++
14:23 tadzik \o
14:24 [Coke] karma au
14:24 aloha au has karma of 34.
14:24 [Coke] n: my $a="au"; $a++ for 1..34; say $a
14:24 p6eval niecza v15-4-g1f35f89: OUTPUT«cc␤»
14:31 Trashlord joined #perl6
14:32 sisar rant: there is no easy way to make a private gist public :( However, there is a workaround: http://chris.dzombak.name/blog/20​11/05/making-private-gist-public
14:34 jnthn heh, I thought it was about .gist in Perl 6 :P
14:34 moritz sisar: you can just share the URL
14:34 dalek Pugs.hs/wip/typefix: cb4d7e9 | au++ | Pugs/src/Pugs/Prim.hs:
14:34 dalek Pugs.hs/wip/typefix: * Line up return types of Int/Rat/Num and declare op0 fallbacks.
14:34 dalek Pugs.hs/wip/typefix: review: https://github.com/perl6/Pugs.hs/commit/cb4d7e9eff
14:34 au [Coke]: please checkout wip/typefix and see if it passes a bit more tests, and merge back to master if there's no regression
14:35 moritz sisar: also wrt github I'd not rant, but simply write the friendly github staff with a feature request
14:37 sisar moritz: will do
14:37 sisar moritz: hae a look: https://gist.github.com/1986576
14:37 sisar *have
14:37 [Coke] au++ # roger.
14:37 sisar line 1 and line 10 are exactly equal
14:38 moritz std: for map { $_, $_}, 1..3 { .say;}
14:38 p6eval std 1ad3292: OUTPUT«ok 00:01 112m␤»
14:38 sisar moritz: weird, ain't it ?
14:38 tadzik nom: for map { $_, $_}, 1..3 {.say;}
14:38 p6eval rakudo 3c5838: OUTPUT«1␤1␤2␤2␤3␤3␤»
14:38 tadzik nom: for map {$_, $_}, 1..3 { .say;}
14:38 p6eval rakudo 3c5838: OUTPUT«1␤1␤2␤2␤3␤3␤»
14:39 tadzik oh, huh
14:39 [Coke] au: so far, so good. I'll re-fudge roast later today, and merge things back. Thank!
14:40 [Coke] *Thanks!
14:40 sisar tadzik: any insight ?
14:40 au np, glad to help :)
14:40 au -> &
14:40 tadzik sisar: nope
14:43 masak std: -> & {}
14:43 p6eval std 1ad3292: OUTPUT«ok 00:01 109m␤»
14:44 tadzik seen slunski
14:44 aloha slunski was last seen in  15405 days 14 hours ago .
14:44 tadzik I guess that's aloha's for "never"
14:44 masak seen sluszky
14:44 aloha sluszky was last seen in  15405 days 14 hours ago .
14:44 masak seen druszky
14:44 aloha druszky was last seen in  15405 days 14 hours ago .
14:44 masak seems so :)
14:45 moritz [Coke]: should pugs' "make spectest" pass?
14:47 dalek Pugs.hs/so: e0ec661 | moritz++ | Pugs/src/Pugs/Prim.hs:
14:47 dalek Pugs.hs/so: try to implement &so
14:47 dalek Pugs.hs/so: review: https://github.com/perl6/Pugs.hs/commit/e0ec6613ad
14:47 moritz [Coke]: I have no idea if that worked or not, but if it did, you can merge that branch :-)
14:48 kaleem joined #perl6
14:49 benabik joined #perl6
14:49 lestrrat joined #perl6
14:52 masak moritz++
14:53 au . o O { Travis CI for spectest }
14:54 PerlJam au: don't they have to "enable" perl 6 support?
14:57 au mm? a perl5 "test.pl" that builds and runs spectest and outputs TAP should work
14:58 flussence ooh, I have one of those
14:58 au s/test.pl/make test/
15:01 [Coke] moritz: there is no spectest target, but the tests mostly pass yes. might be a dozen failures or so.
15:01 [Coke] moritz++ #thanks.
15:03 xinming joined #perl6
15:11 skids joined #perl6
15:14 masak autopun talk delivered. :)
15:14 colomon masak++
15:14 masak there was the appropriate amount of rejoicing ;)
15:14 tadzik it was awesome!
15:15 masak thanks.
15:16 kaare_ joined #perl6
15:19 ggoebel joined #perl6
15:19 ggoebel left #perl6
15:20 sisar masak: upload slides !
15:21 * sisar has submitted a feature request to github about gist
15:24 marmalade joined #perl6
15:28 masak sisar: ok, I'll try.
15:28 masak oh, Fuad was here this morning.
15:31 masak rafl: I'll put up the macro slides for you too.
15:33 sisar rafl ?
15:33 sisar oh, never mind
15:33 masak he asked for them in the backlog.
15:36 sisar our Niecza $developer: https://gist.github.com/1986826. What is wrong ?
15:38 masak my two talks: https://github.com/masak/gpw-talks
15:38 masak grab them while they're hot.
15:38 masak I'll put them up properly on http://feather.perl6.nl/~masak/ once I get proper FTP access.
15:39 sisar masak++
15:40 moritz masak: you can scp to feather, the ssh port is open here
15:40 moritz oh nice, "age: in 14 minutes"
15:40 jnthn :D
15:41 jnthn Slides from the future
15:41 tadzik The Distant Future
15:41 moritz that's so fitting :-)
15:41 masak moritz: yeah, my VM's clock is still off.
15:41 * moritz is in the conference office, at the place where we did the p6 hackathon
15:42 tadzik seen bbkr
15:42 aloha bbkr was last seen in #perl6 4 days 14 hours ago joining the channel.
15:43 PerlJam "dive-through example"?  I like that.
15:43 moritz masak++'s autopun talk was really hilarious
15:43 PerlJam indeed masak++
15:43 masak :)
15:43 PerlJam I didn't get the "je ne sais quoi" one though    ;-)
15:44 moritz having a whole room full of laughing geeks is a nearly self-amplifying
15:44 moritz after that talk, everybody would have laughed about "chicken" too :-)
15:44 fsergot tadzik: What about your talk? :)
15:44 tadzik PerlJam: I guess that means "I don't know" or such
15:45 tadzik fsergot: wasn't too bad, it almost filled 15 minutes out of 20 :)
15:45 tadzik luckily, audience++ came to the rescue
15:45 tadzik I'm quite satisfied with it; wasn't perfect, but I see an improvement over previous talks I did
15:45 PerlJam masak: I *really* like slide 14 of your macros talk
15:46 jnthn My slides are at http://jnthn.net/papers/201​2-gpw-meta-programming.pdf btw
15:46 moritz fwiw my slides are at http://moritz.faui2k3.org/files/p6-features/
15:46 jnthn Suddenly...slides!
15:46 moritz and I was lucky to get enough questions from the audience to fill my 40 minutes
15:47 PacoAir joined #perl6
15:49 tadzik mine is on http://tjs.azalayah.net/index.html if anyone wants to take a look
15:49 masak PerlJam: thanks :)
15:50 masak PerlJam: implementing macros means having a keen sense of compile/run moding.
15:50 Psyche^ joined #perl6
15:55 preflex_ joined #perl6
16:00 thou joined #perl6
16:02 havenn joined #perl6
16:10 moritz std: 'a' ~~ /a*+/
16:10 p6eval std 1ad3292: OUTPUT«ok 00:01 111m␤»
16:11 masak yeah, *+ means *?
16:11 masak hm, or was it *: ?
16:11 masak I think the latter.
16:12 TimToady yes
16:13 zipf joined #perl6
16:18 lumi__ joined #perl6
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: 3ce390d | jonathan++ | src/Perl6/ (2 files):
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: Start collecting LEAVE, KEEP and UNDO phasers; not doing anything with them yet.
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/3ce390dbd5
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: a5b3ede | jonathan++ | src/core/Block.pm:
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: Keep a list that knows the order we should run LEAVE/KEEP/UNDO, since they should be considered as a single queue.
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/a5b3ede647
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: 0dbe16a | jonathan++ | src/core/Block.pm:
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: LEAVE/KEEP/UNDO should run in opposite order.
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/0dbe16a48b
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: d4bb162 | jonathan++ | src/ (4 files):
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: Incorporate various of the patches from mls++, with various updates and tweaked phasers lookup, to get LEAVE essentially working. May not be perfect, but passes a bunch of tests.
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/d4bb162acf
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: d31ad04 | jonathan++ | t/spectest.data:
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: Turn on a few tests that we now pass.
16:30 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/d31ad04e8c
16:30 zipf joined #perl6
16:30 dalek roast: d48e69f | jonathan++ | S04-phasers/descending-order.t:
16:30 dalek roast: Fix a test that missed expectation of ENTER phaser.
16:30 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/d48e69f4bb
16:30 dalek roast: c95f0d1 | jonathan++ | S04-phasers/enter-leave.t:
16:30 dalek roast: Fudge for Rakudo.
16:30 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/c95f0d1719
16:30 tadzik \o/
16:32 dalek features: fcacff9 | jonathan++ | features.json:
16:32 dalek features: Rakudo now implements ENTER and LEAVE.
16:32 dalek features: review: https://github.com/perl6/f​eatures/commit/fcacff9492
16:33 moritz nom: &x()
16:33 p6eval rakudo 3c5838: OUTPUT«===SORRY!===␤Symbol '&x' not predeclared in <anonymous> (/tmp/z6RSDHBBtm:1)␤»
16:33 * masak submits rakudobug
16:35 dalek features: 872a7d3 | tadzik++ | features.json:
16:35 dalek features: Rakudo now has Set, Bag and friends
16:35 dalek features: review: https://github.com/perl6/f​eatures/commit/872a7d3473
16:35 * masak un-submits rakudobug
16:35 * moritz 's fault
16:36 masak there's plenty of real bugs waiting for us :)
16:43 PerlJam jnthn: slide 45 says "the case class" instead of "the base class"
16:43 dalek roast: a553a91 | jonathan++ | S04-phasers/next.t:
16:43 dalek roast: Fudge for Rakudo.
16:43 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/a553a91e2d
16:44 PerlJam jnthn: slide 46 says:  multi trait_mod:(Mu:U $type, ...)     Looks like a missing <is>
16:44 PerlJam jnthn: sorry, just now got around to checking out your slides for gpw :)
16:45 masak yes, moritz++ noticed that omission during the talk as well.
16:45 jnthn jnthn++ also noticed it during the talk
16:45 jnthn :)
16:47 nwc10 joined #perl6
16:47 dalek rakudo/nom: ccd0ec1 | jonathan++ | t/spectest.data:
16:47 dalek rakudo/nom: Run another test.
16:47 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/ccd0ec14f9
16:51 masak social &
16:51 nwc10 left #perl6
16:53 jnthn socializing &
17:01 sorear good * #perl6
17:02 am0c joined #perl6
17:02 sorear [Coke]: 70/90.perl means 70/(90.perl) => 70/'90' => 70/90
17:04 sorear sisar: I suspect that you did a git pull, then tried to run niecza again without 'make'.  Usually this works, but if there have been additions to the C# api, it won't
17:06 PerlJam why is is "ParametricRoleHOW" instead of just RoleHOW?
17:06 PerlJam s:2nd/is/it/
17:07 sorear because there are several kinds of role types
17:07 _buno_ joined #perl6
17:07 sorear you can't have a plain RoleHOW
17:08 PerlJam seems like an artificial distinction to me.
17:08 PerlJam Why not a ParametricClassHOW too ?
17:08 PerlJam or a ParametricGrammarHOW?
17:08 PerlJam etc.
17:09 PerlJam Seems like the simpler thing is to say that they're all parametric with the possibility of a null parameter
17:11 alester joined #perl6
17:11 _buno_ joined #perl6
17:11 plobsing joined #perl6
17:12 _buno_ joined #perl6
17:14 MayDaniel joined #perl6
17:14 pothos joined #perl6
17:20 fglock joined #perl6
17:44 sorear PerlJam: All explicitly defined roles *are* ParametricRoleHOW
17:45 sorear When you say MyRole[Int], that's CurriedRoleHOW - still not applied because no ::?CLASS available
17:45 benabik joined #perl6
17:45 sorear once ::?CLASS is available (at compose time), you have a ConcreteRoleHOW
17:47 sporous joined #perl6
17:49 bluescreen10 joined #perl6
17:53 havenn joined #perl6
17:56 PerlJam sorear: mostly I'm just quibbling over the name.  I see no benefit to calling it "ParametricRoleHOW" versus just "RoleHOW" and it keeps the nice (perhaps foolish) consistency with the other HOWs.
17:57 Trashlord joined #perl6
17:57 TimToady but which one should be the unmarked form?  you could just as easily argue that it should be the concrete one, sinceit's "closest" to the user
17:58 TimToady one could also argue that the unmarked from should be the base role from which the other roles derive
17:58 PerlJam I'd go the other way since HOWs are more abstract anyway
18:05 sjn Silly question... are there any obvious wikis we could use as a "notepad" for the Perl 6 hackathon in Oslo?
18:06 sjn is the Perl Foundation wiki meaningful place for stuff like that?
18:07 sjn (is it necessary to have a wiki?)
18:09 Chillance joined #perl6
18:10 sporous joined #perl6
18:11 havenn joined #perl6
18:13 isBEKaml joined #perl6
18:36 wooden_ joined #perl6
18:36 wooden_ joined #perl6
18:44 sorear sjn: the TPF wiki is the obvious one, but I have some misgivings about anyone using it for any purpose
18:45 sorear sjn: the traditional solution here is to use the pugs/mu repo as a wiki
18:47 awwaiid could use a github repo wiki
18:51 ReefOctop joined #perl6
18:52 ReefOctop left #perl6
19:04 bruges joined #perl6
19:06 [Coke] github++ - easy enough to create a temp wiki wthere.
19:12 att joined #perl6
19:24 imarcusthis joined #perl6
19:24 sorear I wonder if it makes any sense to have a reified part/lazy part split on a multidimensional array.
19:32 [Coke] n: say (70/90).perl
19:33 p6eval niecza v15-4-g1f35f89: OUTPUT«<7/9>␤»
19:33 [Coke] sorear++
19:35 preflex_ joined #perl6
19:42 ksi joined #perl6
19:44 sorear [Coke]: hi.  do you still make test summaries broken down by synopsis?
19:47 [Coke] that is a very manual process, so I only do it when someone asks and I have spare time.
19:48 sorear ah.
19:48 sorear (I'm not asking right now)
19:51 MayDaniel joined #perl6
19:52 birdwindupbird joined #perl6
20:03 havenn joined #perl6
20:05 [Coke] ping me after the week of the 20th. ;)
20:05 sorear Why then?
20:06 colomon recovered from St Patrick's day hangover?  ;)
20:06 sorear o/ colomon
20:06 colomon \o
20:06 [Coke] a $dayjob induced brainfreeze
20:07 [Coke] big project due that monday, in the UK to show off bits of it that week.
20:07 sorear ah.
20:07 colomon sorear: I'm hoping to have my 64-bit Windows machine in good enough shape to try niecza on it in another day or two.
20:08 sorear eeeexclent
20:09 * sorear is still trying to figure out what the sanest representation of multi-d arrays and hashes is
20:09 colomon it needed a new motherboard, so I'm needing to reinstall a development environment from scratch on it.
20:10 [Coke] I just got a 64bit macbook to play with, will try various perlsixes on that.
20:12 [Coke] (again, not just yet. ;)
20:13 colomon Once I've got the Windows machine running, I'm thinking I might reinstall linux on my big linux box and see if I can get everything working on that, too.
20:14 thou joined #perl6
20:17 * colomon expects he can't usefully help sorear++ figure out multi-d arrays and hashes, but is willing to be a sounding board if needed
20:22 benabik joined #perl6
20:30 gfldex joined #perl6
20:41 NamelessTee joined #perl6
20:46 fglock joined #perl6
20:50 * fglock updates http://perlcabal.org/~fglock/perlito5.html
20:50 fglock 80% done, 80% to go
20:50 TimToady you can iterate that...
20:55 * colomon has working SVN on his windows box!!!
20:56 Moukeddar joined #perl6
20:58 [Coke] \o/
21:02 [Coke] perl6: say 0.Int
21:02 p6eval pugs b927740: OUTPUT«*** No such method in class Int: "&Int"␤    at /tmp/m_kXnSGXXJ line 1, column 5 - line 2, column 1␤»
21:02 p6eval ..rakudo 3c5838, niecza v15-4-g1f35f89: OUTPUT«0␤»
21:05 * colomon has working git (and github access) on his windows box!
21:06 PerlJam colomon: \o/  (*that* is cause for celebration :)
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: ab98638 | bacek++ | 3rdparty/libtommath/Defines.mak:
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: Add included makefile for libtommath.
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: review: https://github.com/perl6/nqp/commit/ab986380a0
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: 8eddacf | bacek++ | src/6model/Defines.mak:
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: Start splitting 6model rules into separate makefile.
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: review: https://github.com/perl6/nqp/commit/8eddacf4a5
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: 492179a | bacek++ | tools/build/Makefile.in:
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: Remove bits from Makefile.in which were moved into separate makefiles.
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: review: https://github.com/perl6/nqp/commit/492179a890
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: 2a429c3 | bacek++ | src/6model/Defines.mak:
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: Add todo marker
21:09 dalek nqp/new_make: review: https://github.com/perl6/nqp/commit/2a429c39d3
21:10 NamelessTee joined #perl6
21:14 sjn sorear: right, next question would be "is there a point doing it?" (or maybe that sho+uld have been the first one:-P)
21:16 bruges joined #perl6
21:16 y3llow_ joined #perl6
21:19 y3llow joined #perl6
21:21 y3llow joined #perl6
21:24 y3llow joined #perl6
21:34 sjn .u PILE OF
21:34 phenny sjn: Sorry, no results for 'PILE OF'.
21:34 sjn .u PILE
21:34 phenny sjn: Sorry, no results for 'PILE'.
21:35 sjn aw. no unicode 6.0? :-)
21:39 Trashlord joined #perl6
21:44 PacoAir joined #perl6
21:44 alester joined #perl6
21:53 dalek nqp/new_make: c9ddedd | bacek++ | tools/build/Makefile.in:
21:53 dalek nqp/new_make: Add includepath for 3rd party libraries
21:53 dalek nqp/new_make: review: https://github.com/perl6/nqp/commit/c9ddedd3fe
21:53 PacoAir joined #perl6
21:55 PacoAir joined #perl6
22:05 * [Coke] suggests niecza and rakudo get giant ascii art in their startup screen. ;)(
22:05 [Coke] er, ;)
22:10 PerlJam giant unicode art
22:10 PerlJam :)
22:11 benabik The spec should require all implementations to output Camilla when starting the REPL.  :-D
22:11 PerlJam benabik++
22:30 [Coke] that'd be an excellent repl prompt. »ö« > say ?0
22:31 benabik Re-ran pugs spectest: https://gist.github.com/1941582
22:31 benabik (now with less complaining about locales!)
22:39 [Coke] benanbik: when I run it the way it is, I get no complaints.
22:39 benabik joined #perl6
22:40 [Coke] I can try it with yours. if I still get no errors, I'll change it.
22:40 benabik [Coke]: Likely your system has the ISO-8859-1 locale.  I imagine this is somewhat system-dependent.
22:41 benabik I changed it to what my locale normally is.  I have no idea how portable it is.
22:42 [Coke] benabik: with that change, I get more warnings.
22:43 benabik I'm not sure why it sets LC_ALL anyway.
22:44 [Coke] because without it, you get a ton more errors.
22:44 [Coke] because it defaults to UTF8, IIRC.
22:44 [Coke] s/errors/warnings
22:45 benabik LC_ALL should be set to something sane by the platform.  Attempting to blindly set locale information is fraught with problems.
22:45 benabik I think the only one you can be sure exists is "C".  And I'm not even sure of that.
22:46 [Coke] I believe it is to compensate with the encoding of the spec files we're reading.
22:46 benabik The spec tests aren't in UTF8?
22:49 [Coke] I'm assuming not, but to be fair, au suggested the patch to avoid all the warnings.
22:50 benabik Is it trying to avoid the decodeUTF8 messages?  Perl gives me piles of errors because en_US.ISO-8859-1 doesn't exist in OS X.  https://gist.github.com/1941582/da38​46f2f5ee5229f5bada6ea77f2753bd18ffa2
22:51 [Coke] Yes.
22:51 [Coke] (trying to avoid the decodeUTF8)
22:51 benabik Hm.
22:52 benabik Ah-hah.  I have a en_US.ISO8859-1
22:52 benabik Although using it still gives me some decodeUTF8 errors.
22:54 benabik Nevermind.  It still gives me all the same decodeUTF8 errors.  Blah.
22:57 * benabik can't win.
22:57 [Coke] If you can find one that works for you, lemme know what it is, we can put in an alternate.
22:58 benabik It seems odd to me that the spec tests are in Latin-1 anyway.
22:59 [Coke] seems like we should standardize on utf8 (if that's indeed the problem.)
23:07 benabik .u »
23:07 phenny U+00BB RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK (»)
23:14 [Coke] # 03/06/2012 - niecza++ ; pugs (32.14%); rakudo (0%)
23:14 [Coke] "niecza",     20306,     9,   749,  1540, 22604, 23759
23:14 [Coke] "pugs"  ,      6527,    38,  2838,  1645, 11047, 23568
23:14 [Coke] "rakudo",         0, 20384,     0,     0, 20384, 23803
23:14 benabik Rakudo 0?
23:15 [Coke] (Can't exec "./perl6")
23:15 [Coke] I'll see about fixing that and redoing today's run.
23:17 havenn joined #perl6
23:19 benabik It looks to me like Pugs is trying to convert a string from UTF8 that's already been decoded.
23:19 benabik .u 9829
23:19 phenny U+9829 CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-9829 (頩)
23:21 leprevost joined #perl6
23:21 benabik .u 2665
23:21 phenny U+2665 BLACK HEART SUIT (♥)
23:22 benabik decodeUTF8': bad data: '\9829'  means it's reading the character U+2665 as UTF8 data.
23:23 benabik Vim insists that the file is encoded in UTF-8, so I'm guessing there's something odd happening between the file and decodeUTF8 in Pugs.
23:29 havenn joined #perl6
23:45 envi_ joined #perl6
23:48 skids joined #perl6
23:56 tokuhirom joined #perl6
23:59 whiteknight joined #perl6

| Channels | #perl6 index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Perl 6 | Reference Documentation | Rakudo