Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #perl6, 2014-11-21

Perl 6 | Reference Documentation | Rakudo

| Channels | #perl6 index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 [particle] joined #perl6
00:09 kurahaupo1 joined #perl6
00:11 kurahaupo1 joined #perl6
00:13 Alina-malina joined #perl6
00:38 Mso150 joined #perl6
00:51 BenGoldberg joined #perl6
00:56 vendethiel joined #perl6
01:00 dayangkun joined #perl6
01:10 bjz_ joined #perl6
01:22 jimmy_ joined #perl6
01:27 moritz prime: it's just a minimal version
01:48 KCL_ joined #perl6
01:52 hagiri joined #perl6
01:52 hagiri TimToady, hello man
01:52 hagiri =)
01:52 hagiri hello all
01:52 hagiri ^^
01:52 zakharyas joined #perl6
01:55 xinming_ joined #perl6
02:15 japhb hagiri: You have arrived during the "Europe is sleeping" lull.  It's not totally silent in here during that time, but it can be pretty quiet.
02:18 * moritz corrects it to "Europe, except where small children keep the parents awake" :-)
02:18 hagiri japhb, hehehe
02:18 hagiri kkk
02:19 KCL joined #perl6
02:26 vendethiel joined #perl6
02:27 chenryn joined #perl6
02:38 japhb moritz: You know, I was actually thinking of that, but didn't want to jinx you.  :-)
02:39 adu joined #perl6
02:51 vendethiel joined #perl6
03:06 ghostlines joined #perl6
03:27 bjz joined #perl6
03:38 vendethiel joined #perl6
03:41 bjz_ joined #perl6
04:06 rmgk_ joined #perl6
04:09 kaare_ joined #perl6
04:18 chenryn joined #perl6
04:37 kjs_ joined #perl6
04:58 vendethiel joined #perl6
05:00 KCL_ joined #perl6
05:08 KCL joined #perl6
05:13 labster joined #perl6
05:26 vendethiel joined #perl6
05:36 salparadise joined #perl6
05:43 chenryn joined #perl6
05:45 kaare_ joined #perl6
05:49 bjz joined #perl6
05:54 vendethiel joined #perl6
05:59 adu joined #perl6
06:34 vendethiel joined #perl6
06:37 gfldex joined #perl6
06:39 dayangkun joined #perl6
06:40 chenryn joined #perl6
06:56 anaeem1 joined #perl6
06:59 kaleem joined #perl6
07:09 FROGGS joined #perl6
07:13 labster joined #perl6
07:22 xenowoolfy joined #perl6
07:27 vendethiel joined #perl6
07:35 hypolin joined #perl6
07:38 eclipse joined #perl6
07:38 blackbolt joined #perl6
07:48 chenryn joined #perl6
07:49 bjz joined #perl6
07:50 darutoko joined #perl6
07:53 JimmyZ joined #perl6
07:53 vendethiel joined #perl6
07:54 FROGGS joined #perl6
08:03 Mso150 joined #perl6
08:13 rindolf joined #perl6
08:17 sqirrel_ joined #perl6
08:27 rurban joined #perl6
08:28 telex joined #perl6
08:34 virtualsue joined #perl6
08:37 vendethiel joined #perl6
08:49 JimmyZ joined #perl6
08:55 kurahaupo joined #perl6
09:00 vendethiel joined #perl6
09:11 breinbaas Hi.  What's the way in perl6 to time things?  Is there a thing like Time::HiRes ?
09:11 raydiak m: say now
09:11 camelia rakudo-moar 7191e4: OUTPUT«Instant:1416561144.379447␤»
09:12 JimmyZ breinbaas: https://github.com/tony-o/perl6-bench/
09:12 breinbaas thanks
09:13 moritz breinbaas: the built-in 'now' term already supports sub-second resolution
09:13 moritz JimmyZ: isn't the most active repo the japhb/perl6-bench one?
09:14 JimmyZ moritz: I think they are different things, the former is a module
09:19 breinbaas after installing a module, is there a thing like perldoc?
09:20 breinbaas perldoc Bench
09:20 JimmyZ don't know, but there is exmaples and readme
09:21 breinbaas ok, I can read the github page of course
09:21 zakharyas joined #perl6
09:27 brrt joined #perl6
09:29 abraxxa joined #perl6
09:34 sergot hi o/
09:38 kaleem joined #perl6
09:46 vendethiel joined #perl6
09:47 itz_ joined #perl6
09:52 espadrine_ joined #perl6
09:57 fhelmberger joined #perl6
10:04 anaeem1__ joined #perl6
10:10 vendethiel joined #perl6
10:10 masak evening, #perl6
10:10 arnsholt Morning =)
10:10 eternaleye joined #perl6
10:11 arnsholt Or antenoon, rather
10:11 arnsholt Not really morning at 11
10:15 virtualsue joined #perl6
10:19 brrt \o masak
10:19 brrt again in asia?
10:19 brrt or nz
10:19 brrt or where?
10:19 masak .cn
10:19 brrt ah
10:19 aborazmeh joined #perl6
10:19 * brrt wants to hit the manager responsible for xcode's clang
10:22 virtualsue joined #perl6
10:28 arnsholt brrt: What's wrong with it?
10:29 brrt it doesn't come with memorysanitizer or addresssanitizer
10:30 arnsholt Oh, that's annoying
10:34 rurban macport clang neither
10:35 rurban but easy to compile your own
10:36 rurban oh, macport actually can do it: port info clang-3.5
10:36 rurban port install clang-3.5 +analyzer
10:41 brrt hmm /me has brew
10:41 brrt and i'm not entirely willing to upset that yet
10:41 anaeem1_ joined #perl6
10:55 jnthn evening, #perl6 :)
10:55 arnsholt o/
10:56 ghostlines joined #perl6
10:57 dalek snake: 94f5928 | (Arne Skjærholt)++ | src/Snake/ (2 files):
10:57 dalek snake: Implement pass statement.
10:57 dalek snake: review: https://github.com/arnsholt/snake/commit/94f5928f71
10:57 dalek snake: ab62836 | (Arne Skjærholt)++ | src/Snake/ (2 files):
10:57 dalek snake: Implement returning from functions.
10:57 dalek snake: review: https://github.com/arnsholt/snake/commit/ab628369f8
10:57 jnthn Snake! Snake! Oooh, it's a snake!
10:58 jnthn arnsholt++
10:58 arnsholt Thanks =)
10:58 arnsholt I'm not sure I really need lexotic to handle return in Python, but it was easier to crib NQP's return logic than to figure out how to do it properly =)
10:59 jnthn Yeah, I suspect you don't need it either...but it's fine for now I guess :)
10:59 jnthn I mean, if it works... :)
10:59 arnsholt Yup
10:59 arnsholt Speaking of: Does QAST expose goto and labels directly?
11:00 jnthn Not goto. Labels...not sure, FROGGS++ did those :)
11:01 vendethiel joined #perl6
11:01 arnsholt That's the obvious way to do Python's return
11:01 arnsholt A local result variable and just goto the end of the function on return
11:01 jnthn Well, a "leave" QAST op for leaving the current block is the even easier way :)
11:02 jnthn Then it'd be QAST::Op.new( :op('leave'), $retval_qast )
11:02 denis_boyun_ joined #perl6
11:02 arnsholt I guess, but the current QAST block isn't always the function block though
11:02 jnthn Oh?
11:02 jnthn I thought you could compile Python so it was...
11:02 arnsholt Not ATM at least
11:03 arnsholt I generate new blocks for for loops
11:03 jnthn ok
11:03 jnthn ah
11:03 jnthn yeah...
11:03 arnsholt Which I think I have to, because of variable assignment shenanigans
11:04 jnthn *nod*
11:04 jnthn Then the lexotic way is the easiest
11:04 jnthn And since it's used in NQP and Rakudo it's relatively well optimized.
11:04 arnsholt That's true too
11:22 bjz joined #perl6
11:24 ibo2perl6 joined #perl6
11:25 vendethiel joined #perl6
11:26 ibo2perl6 o/
11:27 sqirrel_ joined #perl6
11:29 ibo2perl6 left #perl6
11:31 hepmee joined #perl6
11:31 hepmee hi
11:31 hepmee i have problem with connection to db2, someone can help me?
11:35 hepmee i have this script http://pastebin.com/cnL4jNuW
11:37 hepmee and i get this error: DBI connect('S634E05A:S634E05A:8471','fiel',...) failed: [IBM][CLI Driver] CLI0124E  Valore argomento non valido. SQLSTATE=HY009 at spiel.pl line 22.
11:45 Ugator joined #perl6
11:45 moritz hepmee: welcome to #perl6. I fear you're off-topic here
11:45 moritz hepmee: unless Perl 6 now has a db2 backend that I don't know about yet
11:49 vendethiel joined #perl6
11:55 rindolf joined #perl6
11:58 hepmee ok i have 5.16
12:04 colomon huh, a few interesting new failures overnight: http://host08.perl6.com:8080/report
12:12 vendethiel joined #perl6
12:19 timotimo o/
12:32 labster joined #perl6
12:35 xtreak joined #perl6
12:47 blackbolt how can i install GTK::Simple? In the tests I get a problem with "libgtk-3.so"
12:48 timotimo hi
12:48 timotimo that's my module
12:48 xtreak perl6: say round(5e+33)
12:48 camelia rakudo-moar 7191e4: OUTPUT«-9223372036854775808␤»
12:48 camelia ..rakudo-parrot 7191e4: OUTPUT«4999999999999999727876154935214080␤»
12:48 timotimo sorry about that, getting the right library name in place can get tricky if you want to be cross-platform
12:48 timotimo blackbolt: you do have gtk3 installed, yes?
12:49 blackbolt yes
12:49 blackbolt with gnome
12:49 xtreak Long numbers being rounded off gives negative numbers. Is it a bug that I can report in MoarVM?
12:49 timotimo blackbolt: can you find out what your gtk3 .so files are called?
12:50 blackbolt timotimo: i am new here, how can i do that?
12:50 vendethiel joined #perl6
12:51 timotimo try "locate libgtk-3" in a terminal
12:51 timotimo what linux distribution is this?
12:51 blackbolt ubuntu
12:51 timotimo OK, i don't have a ubuntu system handy
12:52 timotimo on my fedora system these files are /usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so, /usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0 and /usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0.1000.9
12:54 arnsholt My Ubuntu machine has /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so
12:54 arnsholt xtreak: That certainly looks like a bug!
12:55 timotimo m: say $*VM.config<dll>
12:55 camelia rakudo-moar 7191e4: OUTPUT«lib%s.so␤»
12:55 blackbolt joined #perl6
12:55 timotimo hm.
12:55 xtreak I reported it at https://github.com/MoarVM/MoarVM/issues/157
12:55 blackbolt timotimo: i got dc. libs are in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0.400.2
12:56 geekosaur you need a -dev package
12:56 timotimo why would you need the -dev package to get the regular .so symlink?
12:56 geekosaur the unversioned .so name is used at compile time
12:56 timotimo oh!
12:56 timotimo that's an explanation i've been missing for a *long* time
12:56 geekosaur nd mebeds the versioned name in the shared bject table
12:57 geekosaur the idea is you can have multiple runtime versions, while selecting one as a compile time version
12:57 geekosaur since you cant have multiple compile time versions without multiple prefixes
12:57 arnsholt Oh! Didn't know that
12:57 arnsholt Very useful knowledge!
12:57 arnsholt geekosaur++
12:59 geekosaur since things like gnome tend to change a lot even between minor versions, you need something like that to be able to continue to use older programs. (you can also understand this as "gnome sucks at maintaining backward compatibility")
13:00 geekosaur (although gnome is far from the worst offender. openssl pre-1.0 didn[t even pretend to maintain backward compat)
13:01 xiaomiao geekosaur: "backwards compatibility sucks at keeping up with us awesome people"
13:01 kaleem joined #perl6
13:02 * xiaomiao doesn't like this 'agile' development style of constant failure
13:03 haroldwu joined #perl6
13:04 timotimo ldconfig -p gives a complete listing of libraries and their candidates
13:04 timotimo we may want to teach zavolaj to use that feature
13:04 blackbolt Problem with GTK::Simple solved. libgtk-3-dev help me
13:06 timotimo great! i'll keep that in mind for the future
13:06 timotimo thanks also to geekosaur :)
13:07 timotimo blackbolt: i'd welcome any feedback about GTK::Simple, like missing feature or weird API or stuff
13:10 timotimo i kind of "burnt out" a tiny bit on adding new features to GTK::Simple
13:10 timotimo i forced myself to add new features by coming up with use cases and making that work
13:11 timotimo and also i'm hoping someone will build something that can work with gobject introspection
13:11 oetiker joined #perl6
13:12 blackbolt timotimo: This is my beginning with Perl 6, i need to create simple program with GUI
13:12 jluis joined #perl6
13:13 timotimo OK
13:13 timotimo feel free to ask many questions
13:13 blackbolt thanks
13:15 vendethiel joined #perl6
13:15 chenryn joined #perl6
13:23 guru joined #perl6
13:32 lucas_ joined #perl6
13:35 lucas_ S06 says "The want function is gone". Did a "want" function exist before? Should it say "wantarray"?
13:35 timotimo oh, that may be, yes
13:37 lucas_ timotimo: Thanks. I'll change later, ok?
13:37 moritz lucas_: yes, there was a 'want' function at some point, as a replacement for wantarray
13:37 lucas_ moritz: Oh, thanks, I didn't know that
13:37 timotimo oh, interesting
13:37 timotimo shows what i know :)
13:39 blackbolt timotimo, is there any tutorial to gtk::simple ?
13:39 timotimo there's only the example programs in examples/
13:39 lucas_ When I read "The foo feature is gone..." I think about P5 comparison, since P6 design should just change without any notice, right?
13:39 FROGGS lucas_: why?
13:40 timotimo i was assuming, that "want" was refering to an in-perl5-replacement for wantarray
13:40 FROGGS why should the P6 design change without any notice?
13:40 moritz lucas_: that's not how people think who have been doing Perl 6 for a few years :-)
13:40 timotimo hehe.
13:40 moritz lucas_: but I wouldn't object to it saying "The want/wantarray functions are gone"
13:41 moritz lucas_: if that makes it any clearer for you
13:41 moritz or "both the 'wantarray' function, and it's successor 'want', are gone"
13:41 lucas_ FROGGS, moritz: :) otherwise all P6 design decisions from the past should be documented.
13:41 lucas_ .. in the specs.
13:42 moritz lucas_: maybe just those that attract much attention from the wider community
13:42 FROGGS design documents*
13:42 lucas_ yes
13:45 sqirrel_ joined #perl6
13:59 rindolf joined #perl6
14:01 zakharyas joined #perl6
14:02 punter joined #perl6
14:08 jfredett joined #perl6
14:16 Spot_ joined #perl6
14:17 anaeem1_ joined #perl6
14:20 rindolf joined #perl6
14:21 zakharyas joined #perl6
14:51 kjs_ joined #perl6
14:53 vendethiel joined #perl6
14:59 virtualsue joined #perl6
15:02 anaeem1_ joined #perl6
15:02 atta joined #perl6
15:08 KCL_ joined #perl6
15:16 PerlJam lizmat++  (release)
15:17 vendethiel joined #perl6
15:31 kaare_ joined #perl6
15:35 anaeem1_ joined #perl6
15:42 atta joined #perl6
15:42 masak lizmat++
15:57 treehug88 joined #perl6
16:01 treehug88 joined #perl6
16:02 treehug88 joined #perl6
16:03 fhelmberger joined #perl6
16:04 kaleem joined #perl6
16:04 bjz joined #perl6
16:05 adu joined #perl6
16:23 adu joined #perl6
16:28 japhb Use case: I have a bunch of classes and roles, all working together to implement a subsystem, and to fit within the larger system, they have rather long name prefixes, e.g. Some::Really::Long::Prefix::Subsystem::Foo.  Within the subsystem, I want to save the typing and noise and just use Foo (or at worst Subsystem::Foo).
16:29 japhb What's the right way to do this?  Wrap every compunit in the subsystem with module Some::Really::Long::Prefix::Subsystem { ... } ?
16:29 japhb And if so, how do I properly import between them, so that I load the compunits properly, and can still use the short names?
16:30 kaleem joined #perl6
16:30 japhb (And of course, is the intended method for doing this actually implemented in Rakudo yet?)
16:31 lizmat japhb: NYI
16:31 lizmat use ShortName:name<Very::Long::Name>;
16:32 lizmat S11:525
16:32 synopsebot Link: http://perlcabal.org/syn/S11.html#line_525
16:32 lizmat in there it is used to load different versions of a module in the same scope
16:32 telex joined #perl6
16:32 lizmat but there is no reason why that wouldn't work for just creating a shorter name
16:33 masak japhb: constant Short = Some::Really::Long::Prefix::Subsystem
16:33 masak and yes, it works in Rakudo today.
16:34 lizmat m: class A::B::C::D::E {}; constant F = A::B::C::D::E; say F.new
16:34 camelia rakudo-moar 7191e4: OUTPUT«A::B::C::D::E.new()␤»
16:34 masak m: class Some::Really::Long::Prefix::Subsystem {}; constant Short = Some::Really::Long::Prefix::Subsystem; say Short.^name
16:34 camelia rakudo-moar 7191e4: OUTPUT«Some::Really::Long::Prefix::Subsystem␤»
16:34 lizmat masak++
16:34 masak discovered this pattern in 2011 while tinkering with Web.pm ;)
16:39 bjz joined #perl6
16:46 dalek nqp: 9da30c6 | jonathan++ | tools/build/MOAR_REVISION:
16:46 dalek nqp: Get MoarVM with [ceil|floor]_n fixes.
16:46 dalek nqp: review: https://github.com/perl6/nqp/commit/9da30c6a9e
16:47 japhb Yeah, I've used the constant trick.  But that feels rather hackish, and the NYI use magic that lizmat referred to helps with imports, but doesn't really have the feel of "all these compunits are in some sense in the same namespace, so just use names relative to that namespace in here"
16:48 FROGGS joined #perl6
16:48 dalek rakudo/nom: 0c89d51 | jonathan++ | tools/build/NQP_REVISION:
16:48 dalek rakudo/nom: Bump NQP_REVISION for Moar nqp::[ceil|floor]_n fix
16:48 dalek rakudo/nom:
16:48 dalek rakudo/nom: Fixes bug reported in .round.
16:48 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/0c89d511da
16:49 dalek roast: fe21439 | jonathan++ | S32-num/rounders.t:
16:49 dalek roast: Test for round issue on MoarVM (issue 157).
16:49 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/fe2143922b
16:49 japhb jnthn: After that floor_n fix, what's the intended way of saying "floor this Real to an Int" or "ceil this Real to Int"?  .floor.Int?
16:50 sqirrel_ joined #perl6
16:51 FROGGS o/
16:52 jnthn japhb: Yes, which is how it was on other backends; Moar was inconsistent here.
16:52 jnthn Finally...stout and a useful commit from me. It's been a while. :/
16:53 TimToady japhb: \o/ for both
16:53 TimToady er, jnthn
16:53 jnthn And...ah shit...I gotta get up in 5 hours for medium length flight followed by long flight... :/
16:53 FROGGS jnthn: I'm happy that you are 'back' :o)
16:53 jnthn Can we PLEASE get supersonic air travel back? :)
16:54 TimToady japhb: so something like use prefix Long::Prefix::Name; use Short; ?
16:54 jnthn Anyways, I'm in Europe for the rest of the year.
16:54 jnthn After this little journey back there :)
16:54 jnthn So the tuit supply should mostly improve from here :)
16:54 FROGGS jnthn: hah! that means I can force you to review my stuff :P
16:54 jnthn Yeah, remind me once I'm back.
16:55 FROGGS will do
16:55 jnthn I've gotta do some prep for a course on tue/Wed that I'm teaching fo the first time...
16:55 jnthn But after that, it's just familiar stuff for the rest of the year :)
16:55 jnthn And that's only Java stuff...and tbh, there's really not a lot of Java to know :P
16:55 lizmat fwiw, from Thu / Sun I'll be at the -p2 hackathon in Lyon with hopefully a lot of tuits
16:56 jnthn Cool :)
16:56 TimToady jnthn: except for the, "Oh, don't use that library anymore, use this one now"
16:56 jnthn TimToady: 300 MVC frameworks can't be wrong!
16:56 * jnthn normally gets out of teaching Java stuff :)
16:56 TimToady just don't get into it :)
16:57 jnthn I tried claiming "I don't know Java", but inconveniently I happen to have done much of the Rakudo JVM port, so... :P
16:57 japhb TimToady: Well, if you're going to offer such nice syntactic relief, I'm happy to accept.  But I more wondered if there was already an intended WTDI.
16:58 TimToady we hadn't take the system of modules into account when we designed :name
16:58 japhb (And that particular syntactic relief above makes me wonder how you 'escape' to specify a full name to something outside the subsystem, such as utility classes)
16:58 TimToady no prefix;  :)
16:58 travis-ci joined #perl6
16:58 travis-ci Rakudo build failed. Jonathan Worthington 'Bump NQP_REVISION for Moar nqp::[ceil|floor]_n fix
16:58 travis-ci http://travis-ci.org/rakudo/rakudo/builds/41733931 https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/compare/7191e4937efe...0c89d511da16
16:58 travis-ci left #perl6
16:58 japhb Heh
16:58 jnthn ...uh?
16:58 jnthn :/
16:59 jnthn "Works on my machine"
16:59 TimToady travis is easily upset
17:00 jnthn Oh ffs, some the travis-ci page wnats seems kinda blocked :/
17:00 japhb Huh?
17:00 jnthn I really hope Chian's rise doesn't go much further. I do NOT want the rest of the world to look this way :/
17:00 japhb Oh, gotcha.
17:00 jnthn japhb: Typically, various CDNs are great-firewalled :/
17:00 japhb yeah, sigh
17:01 jnthn japhb: So any site that uses it for their JavaScript or CSS ends up getting busted :/
17:01 japhb ssh tunnel?
17:01 jnthn Yeah, I have one when I need it. :)
17:01 jnthn It just makes things even more crazy slow.
17:01 japhb I bet.
17:01 jnthn So I only turn it on when I need it.
17:01 jnthn Hm, it's the NQP build that failed...
17:02 japhb & # bus stop
17:02 * jnthn tries to figure out which thingy to click to get the log :)
17:02 TimToady At Frame 255, Instruction 72, op 'floor_n', operand 0, MAST::Local of wrong type (4) specified; expected 6
17:02 masak travis-ci is petty-burgeouis, and must be blocked!
17:02 tony-o masak: ?
17:02 masak 'night, #perl6 :)
17:03 jnthn TimToady: Is that from travis, or you get it also?
17:03 TimToady local
17:03 jnthn :S
17:03 jnthn So...why didn't I get it...
17:04 jnthn oh...'cus I didn't make clean
17:04 jnthn d'oh
17:05 * [Coke] belatedly kicks off today's daily run.
17:05 TimToady [Coke]: at the moment nqp-moar doesn't compile
17:06 FROGGS hmmm
17:06 jnthn Fix probably about to land, though...
17:07 [Coke] TimToady: daily runs use recommended versions, so hopefully not a problem.
17:07 TimToady "It comes in recommended versions?!?"
17:08 jnthn [Coke]: No, I bumped those, 'cus it worked locally, 'cus I did something wrong... :/
17:08 TimToady it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine...
17:08 FROGGS *g*
17:08 * jnthn blames 2 days of teaching while jetlagged :P
17:09 FROGGS "are we there yet?"
17:09 ugexe after bouncing some emails back and forth with travis support they encouraged me to open a support ticket about perl6 support. if anyone has anything to add the github issue can be found here: https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2978
17:09 jnthn (for my fail, not for the end of the world...somebody else can be to blame for that one :P)
17:10 dalek nqp: c885c04 | jonathan++ | src/vm/moar/stage0/ (11 files):
17:10 dalek nqp: Update stage0 for MoarVM, for op change.
17:10 dalek nqp: review: https://github.com/perl6/nqp/commit/c885c047b2
17:11 [Coke] building moar right now, we'll see if nqp barfs. if so, I'll stop and redo
17:11 TimToady npq-moar now compiles
17:12 dalek rakudo/nom: 5850d0a | jonathan++ | tools/build/NQP_REVISION:
17:12 dalek rakudo/nom: Get fixed NQP Moar.
17:12 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/5850d0ae93
17:12 FROGGS nqp built fine here
17:12 jnthn Hopefully that does it.
17:12 * jnthn sticks his commit bit in the suitcase :)
17:12 TimToady and nom
17:12 [Coke] starting over...
17:12 FROGGS :o)
17:14 * TimToady has come too far to start over...
17:14 FROGGS TimToady: Perl 7 FTW!!11
17:15 jnthn OK, I guess I better sleep. Or tomorrow I'll be like....plane...gate...what... :)
17:15 jnthn 'night
17:15 FROGGS yesterday I looked the commits I did at the beginning of last year... and it is strange to see what needed to be done back then, and what our problems/todos are today
17:15 TimToady o/
17:16 FROGGS it is a huge jump in quality, that's for sure
17:16 FROGGS gnight jnthn
17:18 * osfameron puts in a request to go with work to FOSDEM...
17:21 travis-ci joined #perl6
17:21 travis-ci NQP build passed. Jonathan Worthington 'Update stage0 for MoarVM, for op change.'
17:21 travis-ci http://travis-ci.org/perl6/nqp/builds/41736136 https://github.com/perl6/nqp/compare/9da30c6a9eac...c885c047b280
17:21 travis-ci left #perl6
17:22 ajr joined #perl6
17:24 pmichaud joined #perl6
17:24 pmichaud good morning, #perl6
17:24 tadzik pmichaud! \o/
17:24 yoleaux 20 Nov 2014 16:10Z <PerlJam> tadzik: https://github.com/tadzik/synopsebot/pull/3
17:24 [Coke] now running. lots of deprecated calls going by...
17:24 [Coke] pmichaud, welcome back.
17:24 pmichaud Glad to be back.
17:24 [Coke] Did you see you're on the hook for a 2015 release? ;)
17:24 pmichaud I did not.
17:24 * pmichaud looks.
17:25 [Coke] (of 6.0, not of a rakudo compiler)
17:25 pmichaud oh, that!
17:25 pmichaud I did see that there's talk of a 6.0.0 release, yes.
17:25 colomon pmichaud, o/
17:25 pmichaud I didn't know I'm on the hook for it, though. :)
17:25 FROGGS hi pmichaud
17:26 travis-ci joined #perl6
17:26 travis-ci Rakudo build passed. Jonathan Worthington 'Get fixed NQP Moar.'
17:26 travis-ci http://travis-ci.org/rakudo/rakudo/builds/41736316 https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/compare/0c89d511da16...5850d0ae9380
17:26 travis-ci left #perl6
17:26 pmichaud Anyway, 6.0.0 release in 2015 sounds fine to me.
17:27 [Coke] pmichaud: well, there's 3 big things left on the todo list, and when last we say you, you were thinking about one of them. :)
17:27 pmichaud Oh, I agree that I'm currently on the hook for GLR.
17:27 pmichaud My current plan is to work on it fairly extensively next week.
17:28 pmichaud I've pretty much reserved next week for that, in keeping with my blogpost on GLR stuff :)
17:28 colomon \o/
17:32 * TimToady is still working on the longest literal stuff in NFA; alternatives don't quite calculate it right for transitive alternations
17:33 pmichaud Good luck with that.  :)
17:34 TimToady well, I tried doing it in the mergesubstates, but it really needs to be done at the node->nfa translation level to make sure alternatives with different longlits end up with different fates
17:34 TimToady assuming we keep it attached to the fate
17:35 TimToady well, and to make sure we're looking at the correct alternative's literals
17:36 TimToady there seems to be some cross-clobbering of literal lengths going on with the current approach, anyway
17:36 [Coke] question about the release: I don't know if this was discussed anywhere, but are we going to call a moarvm-only 6.0.0 release ok? do we need/expect/want parity on java/parrot?
17:37 [Coke] Or will we go with something like the feature list we have now, codified in the release docs?
17:37 TimToady moarvm for sure, jvm a solid maybe, parrot unlikely for full 6.0 blessing as it stands now
17:37 FROGGS +1 for rakudo@moarvm being the only one that implements most of 6.0.0 and therefore will be called a Perl 6 compliant compiler
17:37 TimToady well, it'll be defined by the tests, not by fiat :)
17:37 pmichaud to me a bigger question is:  by 6.0.0 release are we referring to spec, compiler, or both simultaneously?
17:38 TimToady a specified set of tests, and and compiler that passes them
17:38 TimToady *a
17:38 FROGGS both go hands in hands
17:38 pmichaud I'm fine with there being only one compiler that passes the suite.
17:38 FROGGS because you don't really know that the tests are correct until you actually run them
17:38 TimToady at some point we go through our current tests and mark those that are post-6.0
17:38 [Coke] hell, if we're going by tests, we probably have more work to do there than we do on the compiler.
17:39 FROGGS [Coke]: can you explain that?
17:39 TimToady I don't expect the test suite to be perfect before 6.0 comes out
17:39 [Coke] TimToady: I imagine we'd do that in git. "tag, these are the 6.0.0 tests"
17:39 pmichaud please, not a git tag
17:39 [Coke] FROGGS: do you think the spectest suite covers everything we intend the spec to cover at this point?
17:39 pmichaud I proposed in salzburg that it be an actual extraction.
17:39 [Coke] pmichaud: why not? how else would you mark them?
17:40 [Coke] ... which we'd extract from git based on the tag.
17:40 FROGGS [Coke]: tests tend to never cover anything really
17:40 TimToady we'd like to freeze a set  of tests with no fudging
17:40 pmichaud [Coke]: because the current roast suite contains tests that aren't 6.0.0
17:40 [Coke] also, not everyone was in salzburg, nor were there minutes. :0
17:40 [Coke] er, :)
17:40 [Coke] pmichaud: then we fix that.
17:40 pmichaud we don't want to eliminate those tests either
17:40 [Coke] you already have to fix it to do the extraction. let's fix it in our version control system.
17:40 pmichaud because they're post-6.0.0
17:40 pmichaud no, I proposed we simply have a set of 6.0.0 fudge markers.
17:41 pmichaud then we run fudge on roast to produce the (extracted) 6.0.0 tests
17:41 pmichaud and then commit that somewhere.
17:41 [Coke] FROGGS: which is a problem if that's our spec declaration.
17:41 TimToady trickiest bit is making sure the plan is correct
17:41 [Coke] pmichaud: if you're marking the tests with a fudge marker, then combine that with a git tag.
17:41 pmichaud I have no problem with the fudging simply marking a set of tests as "skipped: not 6.0.0"
17:41 FROGGS [Coke]: I wanted to say that tests are never enough nor perfect, you just have to be happy with it or tweak it so you think they are okay
17:42 pmichaud [Coke]: I'm not saying we can't have a 6.0.0 tag, I'm saying that a 6.0.0 tag is not sufficient nor should it be the primary marker
17:42 japhb ugexe++ # Pushing for official Travis support for Rakudo
17:43 * TimToady thinks he would prefer to see a branch for each nailed-down version of the tests
17:43 pmichaud I'm okay with a branch, also.
17:43 [Coke] FROGGS: I think we've established that "happy" is not one of my resting states. I'm agreeing. I'm saying that we are missing more tests to mark edge cases or behavior that is "same as perl5 so we didn't document it" (or, unfudging tests that are in there but not passing) than we have new compiler code to write.
17:43 pmichaud but it needs to be something that is easy to generate from roast
17:43 pmichaud without a lot of hand-tweaking
17:44 TimToady we have a few more tests than Perl 1 came with :)
17:44 FROGGS [Coke]: correct... I think we agreed on a extensive review of roast :o)
17:45 [Coke] FROGGS: you and I just now? or in salzburg?
17:45 TimToady it's in the air :)
17:45 raiph joined #perl6
17:45 pmichaud at this stage, I primarily would like to see agreement (or an official Rule #1 declaration) that the test suite defines the "official spec".  After that, I'd like us to have a (set of?) online meeting(s) to get general agreement about what is in 6.0.0 and what isn't.
17:46 pmichaud *then* I think we should focus on the exact mechanism by which we produce the 6.0.0 test suite.
17:46 FROGGS [Coke]: not now... I expect there will be some discussion synopsis by synopsis where tests will be marked and cleaned up
17:46 FROGGS pmichaud: +1 +1 +1
17:49 ajr_ joined #perl6
17:49 TimToady there are two main corners we'd like not to paint ourselves into: 1) can't implement in 2015, or 2) commits us to a coarse from which we cannot evolve in the direction we eventually want to go
17:50 TimToady 2 is the primary motivation for GLR, NSA, and NFG
17:50 TimToady is also why I'm playing with longlit right now to make sure it isn't a big mistake
17:51 sqirrel__ joined #perl6
17:51 pmichaud Perhaps a good first-step would be to have people identify any parts of the synopses they feel should not be in the 6.0.0 spec, either because of #1 or #2
17:51 FROGGS_ joined #perl6
17:52 pmichaud for example, I'm still uncomfortable with commiting much of IO to 6.0.0
17:52 pmichaud (because it's just gone through some major revisions)
17:52 TimToady we saw how well that worked out for Java >.<
17:53 pmichaud well, I could be persuaded to change my mind as we get a little farther along
17:53 TimToady no, I'm agreeing
17:53 TimToady we'd like to avoid Flavor of the Week Syndrome in IO
17:53 pmichaud exactly.
17:54 TimToady same goes for GUI
17:54 TimToady I guess it's usually Flavor of the Month, at last in ice cream...
17:54 TimToady *least
17:55 TimToady at least at B&R...
17:56 TimToady at least in the US...
17:56 pmichaud It's been a long time since I've had any flavor other than "Pralines 'n Cream" at B&R
18:02 timotimo our sockets are still pretty deficient...
18:02 timotimo last I saw we did not have udp
18:02 timotimo not to mention raw sockets or stuff like that
18:03 pmichaud next week I think I'll spend a little time organizing a spreadsheet or document where we can tally features w.r.t. 6.0.0 spec
18:04 timotimo ideally we would also offer advanced stuff like tcp fast open somehow
18:10 TimToady ideally everything is both perfectly integrated and perfectly decoupled :P
18:12 pmichaud I have to go prepare for my seminar tomorrow; bbl
18:30 gtodd http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/24/programmers-price   merry Xmas :-)
18:33 gtodd TimToady: integration and decoupling - an admirable goal ...  like the EU or Canadian federalism
18:33 gtodd :)
18:34 vendethiel joined #perl6
18:34 dalek ecosystem: adb8184 | tony-o++ | META.list:
18:34 dalek ecosystem: Slang::SQL
18:34 dalek ecosystem: review: https://github.com/perl6/ecosystem/commit/adb81848fd
18:35 gtodd it would be cool if perl6 had a good,  preferred, cross platform, easy to use (or leave out) GUI ... that was not Tk :-P
18:37 nine gtodd: you mean Qt?
18:37 gtodd hehe :-)  no ...  SDL!! besides a toolkit GUI is going to be "the web" ... some used in house, eat own dog food, ECMAscript library and HTML5 :-P
18:38 woolfy pmichaud++ [Coke]++ FROGGS++ TimToady++  for nice discussion of Perl 6.0.0 (very clarifying)
18:38 gtodd just commenting on TimToady's flavour of month warning
18:38 moritz lizmat++ # release
18:48 salparadise so to get perl6 running on OS X  I need to first install Rakudo, or is that all I need?
18:48 salparadise oh sweet
18:48 salparadise brew search raku                                                                                                                                                                                                              ~
18:48 salparadise rakudo-starbrew search raku                                                                                                                                                                                                              ~
18:48 salparadise sorry
18:51 kaare__ joined #perl6
18:53 Ugator1 joined #perl6
18:55 Mso150 joined #perl6
18:55 salparadise so 'say' is a method for string object (perl6 -e '"HI".say') but it is not listed here (perl6 -e 'say "".^methods();'), how does that work?
18:55 salparadise (just started playing with perl6)
18:57 smls joined #perl6
18:58 TimToady m: say "".^methods
18:58 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«WHY BUILD Int Num chomp chop substr pred succ match ords samecase samespace trim-leading trim-trailing trim encode wordcase trans indent codes path unival univals WHICH Bool Str Stringy DUMP ACCEPTS Numeric gist perl comb subst lines split words␤»
18:58 TimToady m: say "".^methods(:all)
18:58 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«WHY BUILD Int Num chomp chop substr pred succ match ords samecase samespace trim-leading trim-trailing trim encode wordcase trans indent codes path unival univals WHICH Bool Str Stringy DUMP ACCEPTS Numeric gist perl comb subst lines split words abs conj s…»
18:59 [Coke] oh, right, lizmat++ for release.
18:59 TimToady by default, you only get the methods that are not "universal"
18:59 [Coke] btw, TimToady, I found us a new six-related logo:
18:59 TimToady flags over Texas?
18:59 [Coke] http://imgur.com/gallery/ijaaG (very very slightly nsfw)
19:01 TimToady my daughter used to stick up three fingers, and say "Read between the lines."
19:02 salparadise TimToady: I see, so "say" is a method for all objects (Universal) ?
19:03 lizmat m: say Any.^methods
19:03 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«infinite exists_key exists_pos delete_key delete_pos list flat eager hash Parcel elems end squish rotor reverse sort values keys kv pairs reduce combinations permutations unique uniq pick roll classify categorize lol map for flatmap duckmap deepmap tree Ar…»
19:03 TimToady m: say Cool.^methods
19:03 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«abs conj sqrt sign rand sin asin cos acos tan atan atan2 sec asec cosec acosec cotan acotan sinh asinh cosh acosh tanh atanh sech asech cosech acosech cotanh acotanh cis log exp round roots log10 unpolar floor ceiling truncate chars codes fmt substr uc lc …»
19:03 TimToady m: say Mu.^methods
19:03 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«ACCEPTS WHERE WHICH take WHY set_why Bool so not defined new CREATE bless BUILDALL BUILD_LEAST_DERIVED Numeric Real Str Stringy item say print note gist perl DUMP DUMP-PIECES DUMP-OBJECT-ATTRS isa does can clone Capture Method+{<anon>}.new() dispatch:<::> …»
19:04 TimToady so in Mu, the Most Universal
19:04 woolfy say no more, say no more...
19:04 salparadise I see, I like what I see, thanks!
19:05 smls TimToady: What order are the methods listed in? It's neither random, nor alphabetical.
19:05 guru joined #perl6
19:06 lizmat .oO( maybe we should have a Str and Num candidate for .grep )
19:06 lizmat Cool.^methods.grep("say")
19:06 TimToady smls: I suspect it's unordered like the keys of a hash
19:07 TimToady m: .say for ''.can('say')
19:07 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«say␤»
19:07 TimToady m: .signature.say for ''.can('say')
19:07 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«:(Mu: Any |)␤»
19:07 TimToady m: .signature.say for 42.can('say')
19:07 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«:(Mu: Any |)␤»
19:08 TimToady m: .signature.say for 42.can('floor')
19:08 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«:(Int:D: *%_)␤:(Cool: *%_)␤»
19:08 * TimToady is kinda starting to like this language too :)
19:09 smls :P
19:10 smls lizmat: a Str candidate for grep wouldn't help in this case, because you need to call .name or .gist to get a method's name; .Str does not work...
19:10 smls m: say Mu.^methods.grep(*.name eq 'say')
19:10 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«say␤»
19:12 smls m: say Mu.^methods.grep(*.name ~~ /^s/)
19:12 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«Code object coerced to string (please use .gist or .perl to do that)  in any !cursor_init at gen/moar/stage2/QRegex.nqp:628␤␤␤»
19:13 smls ^^ Why does ~~ not participate in WhateverCode closures?
19:15 TimToady because it does other stuff with *, same reason .. doesn't
19:15 smls What stuff does it do with * on the left-hand-side?
19:16 TimToady m: say *.foo ~~ WhateverCode
19:16 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«True␤»
19:16 TimToady and it's kinda related to why so and not don't autothread junctions
19:16 TimToady you have to have some functions that are stoppers
19:17 jluis joined #perl6
19:17 TimToady otherwise it's turtles xx *
19:18 smls well, closing parenthesis are always available as stoppers...
19:19 smls hm, no that's actually not true
19:20 TimToady whatevers generally only stop dwimming when passed as an argument to something
19:20 TimToady and in the case of ~~, the lhs is really an argument to .ACCEPTS
19:20 vendethiel joined #perl6
19:20 smls fair enough
19:22 TimToady but yeah, it's always a bit arbitrary where you put the circularity saws, and other limits of dwimmery
19:22 * TimToady fondly remembers when we cut down the rules for placeholders from about 8 rules to 1
19:23 nebuchadnezzar Hello
19:23 TimToady though in fact we cheat ever so slightly on $_, and don't count it as a placeholder inside blocks that can take no args, such as hash subscripts
19:23 TimToady or string interpolations
19:24 TimToady nebuchadnezzar: hi, been a while
19:24 nebuchadnezzar yes
19:25 PerlJam TimToady: you knew him when he was king?!?  Damian was right about you!  ;)
19:26 nebuchadnezzar I have a stupid question, is there a may to have some kind of self-documentation, like in emacs, I start an interactive shell and ask documentation of objects, methods...
19:27 TimToady we have the mechanism in place, but not all the docs attached yet
19:27 hoelzro golfed code and issue created for colomon's ABC issue: https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=123272&amp;results=b86868580a3e48bcd3d889d99465b26a
19:28 nebuchadnezzar TimToady: I just see the .WHY
19:28 TimToady we do have some docs generated already from signatures and such
19:29 nebuchadnezzar TimToady: where can I find examples to get my hands on it?
19:29 salparadise nebuchadnezzar: I was just looking here for instrospection http://doc.perl6.org/language/objects#Meta-Object_Programming_and_Introspection
19:30 nebuchadnezzar I'm reading http://doc.perl6.org/language/mop
19:31 colomon hoelzro++ # never expected someone to manage to golf that down
19:31 hoelzro colomon: don't thank me until you look at the "golfed" version =/
19:31 hoelzro it's still quite large, and makes no sense
19:31 hoelzro but it's a start
19:34 lizmat FWIW, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with things leaking into precomp versions that shouldn't
19:34 lizmat and/or things that do not get out of precomp properly
19:34 lizmat this is also what is breaking panda with @*INC being populated lazily
19:35 lizmat (I think)
19:36 moritz lizmat: did you get around to record the 'git clean -xdn' output in the different build dirs?
19:36 lizmat moritz: no, I haven't
19:36 lizmat but I also didn't do the git clean yet, will do so now
19:37 lizmat from nqp, right?
19:37 lizmat or rakudo?
19:37 moritz lizmat: both rakudo and nqp
19:38 jluis joined #perl6
19:39 hoelzro lizmat: that seems like a reasonable guess
19:41 lizmat moritz: rakudo cleans: https://gist.github.com/lizmat/2107975f24e40f1e99c1
19:43 lizmat moritz: nqp cleans: https://gist.github.com/lizmat/e17b39a6dfc0dcd56689
19:43 dalek perl6-roast-data: d49814f | coke++ | / (5 files):
19:43 dalek perl6-roast-data: today (automated commit)
19:43 dalek perl6-roast-data: review: https://github.com/coke/perl6-roast-data/commit/d49814f08b
19:43 lizmat moritz: is that what you expected?
19:43 moritz lizmat: yes, thank you
19:43 lizmat the nqp.parrot one seems to include stuff that is not needed
19:44 [Coke] jvm: 19 failures; moar-jit: 728, moar-nojit: 10; parrot: 11
19:45 vendethiel joined #perl6
19:45 woolfy joined #perl6
19:47 FROGGS_ 728 -.-
19:47 [Coke] welcome to OS X. :(
19:48 FROGGS_ :/
19:49 moritz lizmat: it seems that the moar checkout had lots of parrot stuff in it
19:51 ajr joined #perl6
19:51 lizmat moritz: nqp or rakudo ?
19:51 moritz lizmat: rakudo
19:52 dalek Inline-Python: 5acf624 | nine++ | / (3 files):
19:52 dalek Inline-Python: Allow passing Perl 6 object safely through Python space
19:52 dalek Inline-Python:
19:52 dalek Inline-Python: We can now pass Perl 6 objects to Python functions and get them back unharmed.
19:52 dalek Inline-Python: review: https://github.com/niner/Inline-Python/commit/5acf624ced
19:52 lizmat that could well be: that checkout started life as a multi-backend version
19:52 [Coke] ah. some of these failures are because deprecation warnings are checking for single deprecations, but there are extra deprecations everywhere.
19:52 nine Feels good to be committing again :)
19:52 lizmat nine++
19:52 [Coke] so we're getting "saw 2..." instead of "saw 1..."
19:52 lizmat [Coke]: is there an easy way for me to check for those ?
19:53 TimToady nine: you planning to be bug compatible with the GIL :)
19:53 [Coke] in S02-types/deprecations.t
19:53 [Coke] reduce the amount of exact match, and figure out what text is the minimum, do a regexp?
19:53 moritz TimToady: many pythonians consider the GIL a feature
19:54 lizmat [Coke]: for those tests, the texts should match exactly
19:54 nine TimToady: sadly CPython does not support multiplicity. So I cannot do the trick of running multiple Python interpreters in multiple Perl 6 threads ;)
19:54 sqirrel__ joined #perl6
19:54 lizmat if not, they either need to be fixed, or the deprecation adapted
19:54 [Coke] lizmat: given that the core setting has deprecations in it now, all those bets are off, I think.
19:55 lizmat the core shouldn't complain about its own deprecations: they should be fixed  :-)
19:55 [Coke] m: my $line = $?LINE; Decrease;
19:55 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: OUTPUT«Saw 1 call to deprecated code during execution.␤================================================================================␤Sub Decrease (from GLOBAL) called at:␤  /tmp/5lfIPHXq6u, line 1␤Deprecated since v2013.11, will be removed with release…»
19:56 lizmat argh, forgot to remove that one...
19:56 lizmat better do that right away
19:58 hoelzro are sub foo(--> Int) { ... } and sub foo() returns Int { ... } semantically equivalent
19:58 hoelzro ?
19:59 moritz yes
19:59 [Coke] lizmat: also: S02-types/isDEPRECATED.t :: not ok 2 - right deprecation for a()
20:00 hoelzro (also, can … be used instead of ...?)
20:00 hoelzro ok, thanks moritz
20:07 nine Cool! Just opened my first Qt window in Perl6 using Inline::Python and PyQt4.
20:07 lizmat nine++
20:07 woolfy nine++
20:11 beastd joined #perl6
20:11 BenGoldberg joined #perl6
20:12 guru joined #perl6
20:20 dalek roast: 0db5a86 | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | S02-types/deprecations.t:
20:20 dalek roast: Remove tests for Increase/Decrease depreciation
20:20 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/0db5a863c8
20:20 [Coke] weird: Bump NQP_REVISION for Moar nqp::[ceil|floor]_n fix is shown as the first bad commit breaking integration/advent2011-day10.t ... but my bisect never rebuilt nqp...
20:20 [Coke] is that the brokenness from earlier in the day, I wonder.
20:23 beastd|2 joined #perl6
20:26 dalek rakudo/nom: b059a8a | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | src/core/Order.pm:
20:26 dalek rakudo/nom: Remove Increase/Decrease
20:26 dalek rakudo/nom:
20:26 dalek rakudo/nom: They were deprecated for over a year now.
20:26 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/b059a8ab69
20:28 PerlJam nine: Should Python's None map to Any, or should it really be Nil?  None is supposed to represent that absense of value and that very much sounds like Nil to me.
20:28 PerlJam s/that/the/
20:29 nine PerlJam: I've always seen None as the exact equivalent to Perl 5's undef.
20:31 nine >>> a = [None]
20:31 nine >>> len(a)
20:31 nine 1
20:31 PerlJam nine: Then, maybe it should be Mu rather than Any.
20:32 PerlJam nine: see S02:1340
20:32 synopsebot Link: http://perlcabal.org/syn/S02.html#line_1340
20:32 dalek rakudo/nom: a75337b | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | src/core/CompUnit.pm:
20:32 dalek rakudo/nom: Fix internal deprecation message
20:32 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/a75337bd65
20:33 nine PerlJam: then the same should be true for undef <-> Mu in Inline::Perl5
20:33 nine instead of undef <-> Any
20:33 PerlJam aye, I guess I just didn't notice it in Inline::Perl5 for some reason
20:34 TimToady the absence of a value should really be Nil, but we haven't fixed its interpolating to () in a list yet
20:35 nine Neither Python's None, nor Perl 5's undef interpolate to () in lists, so Nil seems definitely wrong to me.
20:36 TimToady it's not supposed to interpolate to () in lists
20:36 ajr_ joined #perl6
20:36 moritz m: say 1 for Nil
20:36 camelia rakudo-moar 5850d0: ( no output )
20:36 moritz I guess it's not that easy to fix :(
20:37 TimToady but these days Mu is more like the mother of all concepts, not the absence of a value
20:37 moritz fwiw when I'd use undef in p5, I tend to use Any in p6
20:38 nine Oh, have to start cooking right now. Girlfriend's coming home in < 30 minutes
20:38 TimToady you'd think it was a friday or somethin'
20:49 dalek panda: 1184fef | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | / (6 files):
20:49 dalek panda: Fix deprecations
20:49 dalek panda: review: https://github.com/tadzik/panda/commit/1184fef82e
20:50 lizmat panda should be free of deprecation messages now
20:50 lizmat please let me know if you see any nonetheless
20:52 btyler I'm seeing deprecation messages from inside m-CORE.setting about path; I did 'make clean/realclean' for moar, nqp, and rakudo and built everything over again, but they're still popping up. am I missing an important step? all repos are at HEAD
20:53 moritz btyler: sounds like a bug
20:53 [Coke] I thought liz -just- fixed that.
20:53 [Coke] do you have a75337b ?
20:54 btyler which repo?
20:54 moritz rakudo
20:54 moritz from 20min ago
20:54 btyler oh bingo, yeah, I guess I just was unlucky enough to pull before that got fixed :)
20:57 itz I see no panda  deprecation messages now
20:57 itz as opposed to "quite a few" before ;)
20:58 anaeem1 joined #perl6
20:59 lizmat sorry, but had to wait until the release before I could fix those
20:59 anaeem1 joined #perl6
20:59 btyler great! no more deprecation warnings. liz++
21:00 btyler booked my fosdem lodging today, looking forward to meeting some p6 folks
21:00 lizmat btyler++  :-)
21:00 lizmat .oO( note to self: need to fix lodging as well )
21:03 anaeem1__ joined #perl6
21:13 KCL_ joined #perl6
21:14 dalek rakudo/nom: 849e3c1 | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | docs/ChangeLog:
21:14 dalek rakudo/nom: Mention demise of Increase/Decrease
21:14 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/849e3c1ccf
21:21 treehug88 joined #perl6
21:22 treehug88 joined #perl6
21:22 Diederich joined #perl6
21:28 [Coke] seems like the generation of perl6 should depend on the core setting finishing.
21:29 [Coke] (otherwise you end up with a ./perl6 that dies really quick)
21:29 [Coke] s/end up/could end up/
21:29 dalek rakudo/nom: 96b9a86 | (Tobias Leich)++ | src/Perl6/Actions.nqp:
21:29 dalek rakudo/nom: compile EXPORT::ALL to EXPORT::<ALL>
21:29 dalek rakudo/nom:
21:29 dalek rakudo/nom: This has the benefit that it does not blow up anymore. Resolves RT #118501.
21:29 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/96b9a86548
21:29 synopsebot Link: https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=118501
21:30 timotimo "the benefit"
21:30 timotimo %)
21:30 FROGGS_ what?
21:31 FROGGS_ m: say EXPORT::ALL
21:31 camelia rakudo-moar a75337: OUTPUT«Could not find symbol '&ALL'␤  in method <anon> at src/gen/m-CORE.setting:13777␤  in any find_method_fallback at src/gen/m-Metamodel.nqp:2725␤  in any find_method at src/gen/m-Metamodel.nqp:988␤  in block <unit> at /tmp/CpJp2nW_Wz:1␤␤»
21:31 FROGGS_ m: say EXPORT::ALL::
21:31 camelia rakudo-moar a75337: OUTPUT«Could not find symbol '&ALL'␤  in method <anon> at src/gen/m-CORE.setting:13777␤  in any find_method_fallback at src/gen/m-Metamodel.nqp:2725␤  in any find_method at src/gen/m-Metamodel.nqp:988␤  in block <unit> at /tmp/z64XXtLy_c:1␤␤»
21:31 FROGGS_ both will do something sane in a bit
21:32 dalek panda: 59f88e4 | timo++ | bin/redpanda:
21:32 dalek panda: redpanda needs to have a hashbang
21:32 dalek panda:
21:32 dalek panda: because it gets installed via bin/
21:32 dalek panda: review: https://github.com/tadzik/panda/commit/59f88e4137
21:36 japhb I forget, what's redpanda?
21:37 dalek roast: b33ad00 | (Tobias Leich)++ | S11-modules/export.t:
21:37 dalek roast: RT #118501 add tests for EXPORT::ALL
21:37 dalek roast: review: https://github.com/perl6/roast/commit/b33ad00eb6
21:37 synopsebot Link: https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=118501
21:37 timotimo i have no idea
21:37 timotimo all i know is i can't run it %)
21:39 dalek panda: 0be4b82 | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | TODO:
21:39 dalek panda: Mention magic incantation for updating submodules
21:39 dalek panda: review: https://github.com/tadzik/panda/commit/0be4b82a19
21:45 Ugator joined #perl6
21:48 Diederich ~~~
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: 0c89d51 | jonathan++ | tools/build/NQP_REVISION:
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: Bump NQP_REVISION for Moar nqp::[ceil|floor]_n fix
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio:
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: Fixes bug reported in .round.
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/0c89d511da
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: 5850d0a | jonathan++ | tools/build/NQP_REVISION:
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: Get fixed NQP Moar.
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/5850d0ae93
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: b059a8a | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | src/core/Order.pm:
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: Remove Increase/Decrease
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio:
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: They were deprecated for over a year now.
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/b059a8ab69
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: a75337b | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | src/core/CompUnit.pm:
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: Fix internal deprecation message
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/a75337bd65
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: 849e3c1 | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | docs/ChangeLog:
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: Mention demise of Increase/Decrease
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/849e3c1ccf
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: 96b9a86 | (Tobias Leich)++ | src/Perl6/Actions.nqp:
21:52 dalek rakudo/newio: compile EXPORT::ALL to EXPORT::<ALL>
21:53 dalek rakudo/newio:
21:53 dalek rakudo/newio: This has the benefit that it does not blow up anymore. Resolves RT #118501.
21:53 synopsebot Link: https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=118501
21:53 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/96b9a86548
21:53 dalek rakudo/newio: e90a169 | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | / (5 files):
21:53 dalek rakudo/newio: Merge branch 'nom' into newio
21:53 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/e90a169da7
22:05 FROGGS_ TimToady: can you please judge? https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=123216
22:05 FROGGS_ m: say EXPORT::ALL
22:05 camelia rakudo-moar a75337: OUTPUT«Could not find symbol '&ALL'␤  in method <anon> at src/gen/m-CORE.setting:13777␤  in any find_method_fallback at src/gen/m-Metamodel.nqp:2725␤  in any find_method at src/gen/m-Metamodel.nqp:988␤  in block <unit> at /tmp/YGzRAQfvZ6:1␤␤»
22:06 lizmat FROGGS_: I'm still getting that at HEAD
22:06 FROGGS_ O.o
22:07 FROGGS_ lizmat: ohh, it pops into existance when you actually export something >.<
22:07 FROGGS_ $ perl6-m -e 'sub a is export { "r_a" }; say EXPORT::ALL::'
22:07 FROGGS_ "\&a" => sub a () { #`(Sub|97921928) ... }
22:07 FROGGS_ m: sub a is export { "r_a" }; say EXPORT::ALL::
22:07 camelia rakudo-moar a75337: OUTPUT«===SORRY!===␤Object of type ALL in QAST::WVal, but not in SC␤»
22:07 FROGGS_ m: sub a is export { "r_a" }; say EXPORT::ALL
22:07 camelia rakudo-moar a75337: OUTPUT«===SORRY!===␤Object of type ALL in QAST::WVal, but not in SC␤»
22:08 dalek rakudo/nom: 113ede5 | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | / (4 files):
22:08 dalek rakudo/nom: Introduce placeholder IOU.pm
22:08 dalek rakudo/nom:
22:08 dalek rakudo/nom: To facilitate switching between nom and newio branches
22:08 dalek rakudo/nom: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/113ede59cb
22:08 FROGGS_ so, for that case only sadly
22:08 FROGGS_ well okay, it says "Could not find symbol '&ALL'", which is okayish
22:09 FROGGS_ perl6-m -e 'sub a is export(:blörg) { "r_a" }; say EXPORT::blörg::'
22:09 FROGGS_ "\&a" => sub a () { #`(Sub|74795960) ... }
22:10 lizmat FROGGS_: BTW, on JVM, the original sub and the one in EXPORT have different .WHICHes
22:10 lizmat any idea where that is coming from ?
22:10 adu joined #perl6
22:11 FROGGS_ yes, hold on
22:11 FROGGS_ lizmat: from that commit: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/393acf095d
22:11 FROGGS_ I tried to get to the bottom of that yesterday, but failed
22:12 FROGGS_ because it is sooo slooooooow
22:14 lizmat I know the feeling having done the release yesterday
22:16 FROGGS_ yeah
22:16 FROGGS_ :/
22:16 adu joined #perl6
22:30 bartolin FROGGS_: when you commented on RT #123216: where you aware of RT #116244? both fail with the same error message
22:30 synopsebot Link: https://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=123216
22:31 FROGGS_ it is the same issue, aye
22:31 tony-o how often is panda's module list cached for me to update, or is it immediate?
22:32 bartolin aha, that's what I wanted to hear ;-) FROGGS_++
22:32 FROGGS_ bartolin: I combined them, thanks :o)
22:32 FROGGS_ bartolin++ # you are awesome
22:35 bartolin oh, thanks. just trying to adept to the standard of #perl6 ;-)
22:39 FROGGS_ *g*
22:39 FROGGS_ gnight
22:40 lizmat good night, FROGGS_ !
22:40 bartolin o/
22:47 esaym153 joined #perl6
22:52 Mso150 joined #perl6
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: 113ede5 | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | / (4 files):
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: Introduce placeholder IOU.pm
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio:
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: To facilitate switching between nom and newio branches
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/113ede59cb
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: 42c7c32 | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | / (4 files):
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: Merge branch 'nom' into newio
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/42c7c325cd
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: 4539bdd | (Elizabeth Mattijsen)++ | src/core/IOU.pm:
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: Initial setup of IOU.pm
23:07 dalek rakudo/newio: review: https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/commit/4539bdd08b
23:08 lizmat on that note, /me goes to sleep
23:08 lizmat good night, #perl6!
23:08 lizmat &
23:09 colomon o/
23:12 vendethiel joined #perl6
23:50 telex joined #perl6

| Channels | #perl6 index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

Perl 6 | Reference Documentation | Rakudo