Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #salt, 2013-06-03

| Channels | #salt index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 Deece joined #salt
00:01 aat joined #salt
00:24 felixhummel joined #salt
00:28 bauser joined #salt
00:35 bhosmer joined #salt
00:39 ogrisel joined #salt
00:42 Deece Is there any way to extend a declaration to _remove_ a key from the states dict?
00:42 Deece e.g. I have a package that has a cmd.wait; in the extension, I don't want theere to be a cmd.wait as part of the package.
00:44 krissaxton joined #salt
00:45 taotetek joined #salt
00:48 raydeo joined #salt
00:50 lvicks joined #salt
00:54 LarsN is anyone here running salt-master on ubuntu, installed via apt, using the ppa?
01:03 mgw1 joined #salt
01:14 favadi joined #salt
01:15 Nexpro joined #salt
01:20 druonysus joined #salt
01:20 druonysus joined #salt
01:22 whit joined #salt
01:31 Deece LarsN: yes, i am
01:32 LarsN Deece: where should I be looking to set up my, I believe it's, sls files
01:34 Topic for #salt is now Welcome to #salt - http://saltstack.org | 0.15.3 is the latest | Please be patient when asking questions as we are volunteers and may not have immediate answers - Channel logs are available at http://irclog.perlgeek.de/salt/
01:39 ogrisel joined #salt
01:41 whit joined #salt
01:44 krissaxton joined #salt
01:58 baniir joined #salt
02:00 abe_music joined #salt
02:15 tharkun joined #salt
02:15 tharkun joined #salt
02:18 Furao joined #salt
02:21 lvicks joined #salt
02:28 auser joined #salt
02:30 Nazca joined #salt
02:33 whit joined #salt
02:40 ogrisel joined #salt
02:40 mgw joined #salt
02:41 dthom91 joined #salt
02:41 favadi joined #salt
02:45 krissaxton joined #salt
02:59 auser joined #salt
03:06 koolhead17 joined #salt
03:06 koolhead17 joined #salt
03:11 jetole joined #salt
03:11 jetole Hey guys. Is there any way to tell if a server is currently in the highstate?
03:11 jetole and if so, to see what changes would be made by bringing it to the highstate?
03:14 melinath joined #salt
03:14 raydeo joined #salt
03:40 ogrisel joined #salt
03:42 dthom911 joined #salt
03:45 krissaxton joined #salt
03:51 bemehow joined #salt
04:00 Nexpro joined #salt
04:24 pcarrier_ joined #salt
04:27 efixit joined #salt
04:27 basepi jetole: try `salt '*' state.highstate test=True`
04:27 basepi if you set test=True it's designed to tell you if changes would be made, but not make the changes
04:32 tharkun joined #salt
04:32 tharkun joined #salt
04:37 Nexpro joined #salt
04:38 efixit joined #salt
04:40 ogrisel joined #salt
04:46 krissaxton joined #salt
05:04 Nexpro1 joined #salt
05:04 Deece joined #salt
05:07 Katafalkas joined #salt
05:10 Nexpro joined #salt
05:11 techdragon joined #salt
05:18 dvogt joined #salt
05:35 techdragon joined #salt
05:35 mgw joined #salt
05:36 techdragon joined #salt
05:37 Nexpro1 joined #salt
05:40 ogrisel joined #salt
05:46 Nexpro joined #salt
05:46 krissaxton joined #salt
05:48 tharkun joined #salt
05:48 tharkun joined #salt
05:55 Nexpro joined #salt
06:32 `3rdEden joined #salt
06:33 azbarcea joined #salt
06:34 melinath joined #salt
06:41 ogrisel joined #salt
06:44 agend joined #salt
06:45 dvogt can client_acl be set to only allow commands on specified minions?
06:47 krissaxton joined #salt
06:57 joehh joined #salt
07:01 mgw joined #salt
07:02 auser joined #salt
07:07 Newt[cz]1 joined #salt
07:10 agend joined #salt
07:12 dthom91 joined #salt
07:12 Charatna joined #salt
07:12 Newt[cz] joined #salt
07:13 Charatna left #salt
07:16 Lucas_ joined #salt
07:17 auser holla all
07:18 ogrisel joined #salt
07:22 Katafalkas hey, is there some way to specify a requirements file for pip state ?
07:22 joehh joined #salt
07:26 vaxholm joined #salt
07:27 auser Katafalkas: like dependencies.txt?
07:35 felixhummel joined #salt
07:40 melinath joined #salt
07:41 balboah joined #salt
07:41 Katafalkas auser: yes, I saw there is a module in current dev version. I guess I could make a state out of it easely
07:41 f4cl3y joined #salt
07:41 f4cl3y joined #salt
07:42 Furao Katafalkas: it's already there, it's the requirements argument
07:43 Katafalkas hmz. its in dev branch only right ?
07:43 Furao no been there since 0.10 I think
07:43 Furao https://github.com/bclermont/states/blob/master/states/shinken/init.sls#L86
07:43 Furao I prefer to use file.managed AND module.wait pip.install
07:43 Furao this way pip run only if requirements changes
07:46 nliadm joined #salt
07:47 ogrisel joined #salt
07:47 krissaxton joined #salt
07:49 vaxholm joined #salt
07:51 agend joined #salt
08:03 Valda joined #salt
08:06 ggoZ joined #salt
08:07 scott_w joined #salt
08:09 favadi joined #salt
08:12 Guest62667 joined #salt
08:14 carlos joined #salt
08:18 idkfa joined #salt
08:19 ronc joined #salt
08:21 Katafalkas ok. danke Furao. I will try documenting it when I got a spare moment
08:22 krak3n` joined #salt
08:23 zooz joined #salt
08:33 ktenney joined #salt
08:35 Katafalkas joined #salt
08:36 oliv_mc joined #salt
08:38 Katafalk_ joined #salt
08:44 Furao *sigh* running freshclam from the first time takes hour
08:44 Furao 1 hour and 60% of main.cvd
08:46 entil if I have a case where I want to set the mailname of a host (for postfix) using salt, do I have to use pillar to generate the data and somehow render the file? or can I use a trad. state file and have it render the contents of a file? preferrably reading what's currently on disk and working from there, but if that fails I can change that to be a jinja template
08:46 krissaxton joined #salt
08:47 Furao reading what's currently on disk? that is not a good idea
08:47 Furao you describe to salt what you expect the file to be
08:47 entil but can I render the contents?
08:47 Furao don't try to deal with "exceptions" in state application, do that in pillars
08:47 Furao # {{ pillar['message_do_not_modify'] }}
08:47 Furao {{ pillar['mail']['mailname'] }}
08:47 Furao that is my postfix mailname
08:47 Furao template
08:48 entil I just made this very simple /README file to make sure I got files distributed, but if I wanted to affect its or /etc/postfix/* contents
08:48 entil cool
08:48 zloidemon Furao: Which distro do you use?
08:48 entil so how do you tell the state to render it? or is it automatically rendered when you say managed?
08:48 Furao zloidemon: ubuntu 12.04 is my baseline
08:48 Furao but I might support debian if client need it
08:48 Furao entil: file.managed
08:49 azbarcea_ joined #salt
08:49 zloidemon Furao: Oh ok, I'm thinking about upgrade debian 6 to 7 or change to another distro
08:49 entil furao: which is the same as file: -managed :D
08:49 entil but yeah, I didn't know they're always rendered
08:49 Furao what I like with ubuntu 12.04 is the "long support"
08:49 entil I can't use pillars too much because I found an issue on github that pillars don't work with gitfs
08:50 Furao entil: they're render within minion memory but applied (and then trigger a change) only if the content differ from the filesystem
08:50 entil oh in the case of postfix confs and anything pertinent to hostnames they will differ :)
08:50 Furao entil: use pillar as much as possible, it's probably the best way to solve most cases (with grains, mine, etc)
08:50 Furao pillar don't work with gitfs
08:50 Furao but that don't break pillar usage in gitfs based states
08:51 entil yeah, sure, I just can't have my own pillars (in gitfs)
08:51 Furao yes that is true that salt can't check pillars directly in a git repo
08:51 Furao but I work around that with a git post push hook
08:52 Furao if someone push in pillar repo it get updated automatically in salt master
08:52 Furao and a dev/integration server is state.highstate as well
08:53 entil you have a separate git for pillar?
08:53 entil I was considering that
08:53 Furao yes
08:54 entil but now if I can work the postfix only with what I got in grains, I need to review my need for pillars, but that's a very nifty protip!
08:54 Furao I have one git repo for pillar, one for my common states (shared to all my clients), a repo for my client states, and finally one for client private files that can't fit in pillar  such as SSH private keys, SSL private keys, and so on.
08:55 Furao so my salt master usually contains 3 gitfs repo, and pillar are automatically pull on each push
08:56 entil that's four, right ;P
08:56 Furao yes in total
08:56 Furao and I run a git server on the salt master itself
08:56 Furao so the update interval of git repo is reduced to < 60 sec (default)
08:56 Furao as it's not expensive in term of connect to remote git servers
08:57 Furao I just need to push to my salt master and my other git server when I need to push
08:57 it_dude joined #salt
08:57 Furao I fixed few things in the gitfs module
08:58 entil I reported a bug in there
08:58 Furao but I couldn't find a way to remove deleted tag from environments
08:58 entil oh deletions are hard here, I gathered a ton of keys while developing, and apparently there was an IP clash because the master rejected a minion key
08:59 entil a cronjob if nothing else should do the trick, ping the hosts and if someone's dead (maybe for long enough times) remove the key
08:59 entil especially if we get deep into temporary ec2 instances this will surely become an issue
09:00 Nexpro joined #salt
09:01 Furao I think that since 0.12 key management is available in python (and not just trough bash)
09:01 entil fair enough, but period checking is still required
09:01 Furao so it's possible to hook something that check running instances in EC2 and remove disappeared hosts keys
09:03 entil I should also script the creation of new ec2s. "unfortunately" the major iterations went already manually and now I don't need to constantly create new ones
09:04 Furao can a SQS queue exists that amazon send event on it, such as instance termination, restart, stop, start, resize?
09:04 entil no experience, sorry. new to aws :P
09:05 Furao I know you can on S3
09:05 Furao only for few events, such as reduced redundancy keys
09:09 y0j joined #salt
09:09 pjs joined #salt
09:12 _a7p joined #salt
09:19 Nexpro1 joined #salt
09:21 carlos joined #salt
09:23 [[ilin]] joined #salt
09:28 [[ilin]] Hello, where can I find information about configuring the minions to pull the highstate every n minutes?
09:29 azbarcea_ hi guys, what do you use to monitor the infrastructure?
09:29 Furao [[ilin]]: http://docs.saltstack.com/topics/jobs/schedule.html
09:29 Furao azbarcea_: shinken, graphite, sentry and graylog2
09:30 [[ilin]] Furao: thank you, very much.
09:30 azbarcea_ Furao: thank you
09:30 Furao each of these do their own subset of things required to have a kickass monitoring setup
09:32 azbarcea Furao: ok ... thank you
09:36 ronc_ joined #salt
09:37 taotetek joined #salt
09:43 jeddi joined #salt
09:43 faust joined #salt
09:48 andrewclegg when you have a failed job step with "One or more requisite failed" -- is there any way to find out *which* requisite(s) caused that particular failure?
09:52 derelm joined #salt
09:52 derelm joined #salt
09:57 adotbrown joined #salt
09:58 andrewclegg ok, this is weird. file.recurse is telling me "The source salt://<blah> does not exist on the filesystem" ... but I can copy a file from within that directory using cp.get_file successfully
09:58 andrewclegg Never seen that before
09:58 krak3n` joined #salt
09:59 nkuttler joined #salt
10:04 krissaxton joined #salt
10:05 fredvd joined #salt
10:06 erasmas joined #salt
10:06 dave_den joined #salt
10:09 andrewclegg ah, it's a symlink thing
10:10 bhosmer joined #salt
10:10 pcarrie__ joined #salt
10:11 axisys_ joined #salt
10:16 entil if I want to do a cmd.run, I need an id definition like Commit after blaa: and cmd.run: and -cwd: /whatever right?
10:16 entil it doesn't compile, says Name cmd.run is not a dictionary
10:20 entil protip, the name: part needs quotes around it to compile, now I'll see if it actually worked
10:20 entil hooray
10:20 entil howait, it compiled and all but didn't execute the cmd
10:24 craigs42 joined #salt
10:29 Katafalkas joined #salt
10:31 oliv_mc joined #salt
10:33 krak3n` joined #salt
10:51 tharkun joined #salt
10:54 adotbrown joined #salt
10:57 raz joined #salt
11:17 entil this is hard, getting things to happen in the correct order... like two separate states in top.sls that need to be ordered
11:19 Furao use require and watch
11:20 entil take the two topmost states into one, wrap them in an ID, have the other wait for the first one?
11:20 entil where does require fit in?
11:21 Furao is this something across multiple hosts?
11:21 oliv_mc joined #salt
11:22 entil for the time I'm still developing for one host, and this is now etckeeper and python-boto, which will go on every host. I want etckeeper because of bookkeeping and python-boto because of ec2. then when those are set up I can do pretty much anything
11:23 Furao this is a very simple case, what don't work?
11:23 giantlock joined #salt
11:24 entil the order isn't guaranteed, if I read the documentation right, so I might install python-boto or create the users before etckeeper is set up
11:24 Furao check those old states http://github.com/bclermont/states
11:24 Furao the contains relatively complex situation
11:25 Furao and this kind of used to work
11:25 Furao it used to deploy older version of my prod
11:25 entil that's huge
11:26 Furao that's nothing
11:26 Furao find . -type f -name '*.sls' | grep -v '.git' | wc -l
11:26 Furao 417
11:26 Furao I have ~ 31 000 lines of sls and template now
11:26 Furao and that don't even include pillars
11:27 entil looking around there I don't see orders enforced, I'll make a clone and look at git grep
11:27 Furao I enforce with - require and -watch
11:27 Furao each states can be independently
11:27 Furao run
11:28 Furao at the ends, salt just put everything as a single big yaml file
11:28 Furao once all - include directive are processed
11:28 entil so I can just refer to other ids in other files and it'll magically work?
11:29 Furao I'm no sure to understand, but check those states
11:29 Furao it's a good example
11:29 kvbik joined #salt
11:30 entil yeah, I'll do that
11:30 entil I was just thinking I can put - order in top.sls ;P
11:30 entil cannot
11:30 Furao no and it's a bad idea anyway
11:31 Furao each thing need to explicitly declare what it need
11:31 entil this is like programming javascript, without the events ;)
11:31 entil though of course a finished wait is a kind of event :P
11:42 favadi joined #salt
11:45 kvbik joined #salt
11:49 faust can you call a module function from CLI using keyword arguments?
12:09 oliv_mc joined #salt
12:11 bezaban joined #salt
12:19 __gotcha joined #salt
12:19 __gotcha joined #salt
12:23 jslatts joined #salt
12:25 ggoZ joined #salt
12:26 brettlangdon joined #salt
12:26 entil multiple states of the same type? well duhhhhh, if I need many files
12:28 entil ah, this is probably where required is the workaround...
12:29 lvicks joined #salt
12:37 ProT-0-TypE joined #salt
12:43 Teknix joined #salt
12:43 krissaxton joined #salt
12:46 adotbrown joined #salt
12:57 stdev joined #salt
13:01 teebes joined #salt
13:07 LyndsySimon joined #salt
13:11 EugeneKay For a VM cloning script, is there any more to changing a Minion's key than nuking /etc/salt/pki/ and restarting the daemon?
13:12 EugeneKay (then accepting it on the Master, ofc)
13:13 Gifflen joined #salt
13:15 Furao EugeneKay: I would rm -rf /var/cache/salt/minion as well, to be sure
13:15 Furao it don't hold auth key
13:15 * EugeneKay adds to deployment script
13:15 Furao but it might contains original pillar copy
13:15 Furao maybe more rm -rf /var/cache/salt/minion/*
13:16 Furao the content and not the folder itself
13:17 EugeneKay I have to say, for <1.x software, Salt is rather good.
13:18 juicer2 joined #salt
13:18 Nazca joined #salt
13:20 krissaxton left #salt
13:20 aat joined #salt
13:20 mgw joined #salt
13:22 Furao joined #salt
13:29 nrub joined #salt
13:29 sashka_ua EugeneKay: it is. But a lot of small flaws
13:30 EugeneKay I didn't say "perfect" :-p
13:30 sashka_ua incredible a lot :)
13:35 Furao look like 0.15.2 won't get into ppa
13:36 Furao 0.15.3 was released 2 days ago and it's still 0.15.1 in the ppa
13:36 sashka_ua For instance, when you start master or api as daemons, they don't detach from console, so whey you log out from ssh, they stdin, stdout is "/dev/pts/0 (deleted)". So, when you try to get some output from them you get IO error.
13:37 sashka_ua Furao: 0.15.3 is in epel-testing already, Im not sure wich repo they update for debian, but they did some packaging work
13:39 mjmac left #salt
13:39 Katafalkas Hey, is there some Trello board for saltstack or something ? like a list of features that needs to be developed or some docs that needs to be added ?
13:43 sashka_ua Katafalkas: don't think so. There is salt-ui, but its prety basic. I think you'd need to develop your own using salt-api
13:45 Teknix joined #salt
13:46 Katafalkas i did not mean it. I mean like a board for planed features and doc articles in the current develop version. I got some free time, and would like to help the project. So currently just find things that bother me and make a pull request. But is there some list of jobs to be done by some seniors in saltstack ?
13:49 whit joined #salt
13:52 sashka_ua Katafalkas: I think you may find this on github issues page
13:53 jalbretsen joined #salt
13:54 efixit joined #salt
13:55 entil I hit the downside with gitfs. horrible cycles. like when nothing f'ing works, it's ridiculous to commit test commits all the time, so maybe it's best to have a local root until something actually goes through
13:55 indymike joined #salt
13:55 entil like when you google the errors you get and the results are salt sources
13:55 Corey Good morning.
13:56 aberant joined #salt
13:56 Furao entil: I'm using gifts all the time, I don't have any trouble
13:57 entil Furao: because you know how to do this
13:57 entil I keep running into every error possible, trial and error, even with your examples, and the only way to test anything is commit it
13:57 entil it makes the commit log look bad
13:58 mgw joined #salt
13:59 entil like this one. I want an empty directory to be created in the user's home. I get this error "No directory to create" and I have to test if it's file: managed or file: - makedirs: True or something completely else.
14:00 entil or when I try to do /etc/skel and iterate {% for file in (...) %} and get only the last one created
14:00 entil every test for every possible fix is a git commit
14:02 DredTiger joined #salt
14:04 nrub joined #salt
14:04 pcarrier_ joined #salt
14:07 emilis_info joined #salt
14:08 lvicks joined #salt
14:09 dcrouch joined #salt
14:13 Newt[cz] joined #salt
14:14 terminalmage joined #salt
14:16 Khollowa_ joined #salt
14:17 berto- joined #salt
14:17 octarine joined #salt
14:18 Nexpro1 joined #salt
14:21 danielbachhuber joined #salt
14:22 kho joined #salt
14:22 sarkis joined #salt
14:22 kho joined #salt
14:23 teskew1 joined #salt
14:25 jdaggett joined #salt
14:27 mgw joined #salt
14:29 teskew1 joined #salt
14:31 zloidemon joined #salt
14:35 JimShoe left #salt
14:37 mgw joined #salt
14:38 fidrox joined #salt
14:39 fidrox Hello, Does anyone know if there are any tools like Foreman that work SaltStack?
14:43 entil I don't do ruby but my mental image of foreman is that salt would do pretty much the same things
14:45 fidrox Sorry, I think there are two projects with that name, this is the one I am looking at : theforeman.org
14:46 fidrox it allows you to deploy servers via PXE then runs puppet to provision them. I am new to all this and really enjoy saltstack over puppet
14:46 entil maybe even more salty ;P
14:51 aat joined #salt
14:51 mgw joined #salt
14:53 [[ilin]] Does the saltstack file server allows resuming of large file downloads? For example if the minion went offline before downloading a big file, will it resume the download or start from the beggining?
14:55 chrism I don't believe so
14:55 chrism it'll start from the beginning I believe
14:56 m_george|away joined #salt
14:56 armonge joined #salt
14:58 chrism fidrox: so there might be something to the salt-cloud stuff there
14:58 chrism but it's not for bare metal servers, mostly VM based stuff
15:01 chrism fidrox: what I do is just install the EPEL repo/salt-minion by default and have it automatically hit my salt master server on bootup
15:02 chrism taht should be trivial with a basic ks.cfg
15:03 kermit joined #salt
15:07 pcarrier_ joined #salt
15:09 armonge_ joined #salt
15:14 fidrox chrism: Thanks for the info, If Salt-cloud works with Vsphere then that will be perfect
15:15 chrism np, tbqh i'm only familiar with it in a very broad sorta way
15:16 opapo joined #salt
15:17 EugeneKay I was hunting for salt-cloud+vpshere support info the other day
15:17 mikedawson joined #salt
15:18 Corey Yeah, if salt-cloud speaks vmware, talk about a feature I'd pay money for... :-)
15:18 fidrox =( , sounds like the support is not there.. dang
15:21 fidrox Looks like in the last Foreman meeting, they talked about adding support for SaltStack. Hope it went well. http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Roadmap_meeting_May_2013
15:22 Lionel_Debroux_ joined #salt
15:24 vaxholm joined #salt
15:25 mgw joined #salt
15:25 Ahlee Is there a flag required to force permissions to match what's defined in the state file?  i have a file.managed, tell it i want 775 permissions, but if I chmod 777 and run highstate, it leaves the permissions 777
15:26 Corey Ahlee: What's your state file look like?
15:27 m_george left #salt
15:28 Ahlee it's a /path/to/file, file.directory:, - dirmode: 775
15:28 Ahlee I can't access pastebins or simimlar to provide
15:28 Ahlee and preferred not to paste here.
15:29 Corey Ahlee: 'dirmode' is not valid syntax.
15:29 Corey Ahlee: 'mode' is what you want.
15:30 Ahlee Interesting.  So how does one go about finding those typos/errors?  As I saw nothing saying it was invalid
15:30 mirko joined #salt
15:30 Corey Ahlee: One reads the documentation rather than guessing, for one. :-)  http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/states/all/salt.states.file.html
15:30 DanGarthwaite joined #salt
15:31 Ahlee running with debug mode enabled and there's no complaints about dirmode, how does one validate configs a la puppet parser validate
15:34 entil that'd be nice to know
15:35 kaptk2 joined #salt
15:38 abe_music joined #salt
15:39 Ahlee On the plus side, that did update the file mode.  Thanks Corey
15:39 bemehow joined #salt
15:40 Corey Ahlee: Sweet. :-)
15:40 Corey I'll open an issue on that.
15:40 entil I think having file.directory and - managed breaks, for example, I just bumped into it (unless it's something else) so stuff like that would be nice to know in advance
15:41 DredTiger I have a newbie question
15:42 Corey DredTiger: Then ask it. :-)
15:42 DredTiger I'm getting myself familiar w/ salt by setting up a state tree to install my preferred software and configurations on my workstations
15:43 DredTiger I started making a directory for each package I want in /srv/salt
15:44 DredTiger and then referencing them in the top.sls
15:44 DredTiger Should I instead make a workstation directory in /srv/salt and then subdirs under /srv/salt/workstation for each package?
15:44 DredTiger Or am I thinking about this all wrong?
15:45 Ahlee if you set environment: workstation in the minion's config that would work (to put them under /srv/salt/workstation)
15:45 all_the_fisch joined #salt
15:46 DredTiger Ahlee: That makes sense.
15:47 auser joined #salt
15:51 Ryan_Lane joined #salt
15:51 entil oh whoah, feeling like a boss, got pillars hooked up to my states now :)
15:51 entil mad advancement
15:55 mgw joined #salt
15:56 krissaxton joined #salt
15:59 UtahDave joined #salt
16:01 opapo joined #salt
16:02 chrism entil: pillar is pretty awesome that way
16:02 entil I had these static group and passwd and such files in the states and noticed that sucks too hard, and getting pillar in there was actually the easiest thing of everything so far
16:03 chrism yeah
16:03 chrism i do that w/ salt fairly regularly
16:03 chrism find some way that I implemented it that sucks, then I find a new feature and go "OH YEAH"
16:03 chrism and rebuild the whole shebang
16:03 chrism lol
16:03 chrism but i've got some pretty slick stuff rolling now, so whatever
16:04 chrism current thing i'm fighting with is git+ssh:// state storage
16:04 chrism =(
16:04 chrism it feels broken, but It may be something I'm doing wrong, i'm not sure
16:07 m4yfield joined #salt
16:07 entil gitfs?
16:08 entil that pretty much just worked for me (the hard part is trawling through the docs and trial-and-error debugging)
16:09 chrism yeah the git+ssh stuff is just odd, from the docs, it looks like i'm doing it right
16:10 chrism but it's parsing the git+ssh://git@github.com/project/blah.git URL in a way that's somehow including /project/ into the URI it's requesting
16:10 chrism i may just say F it cause github isn't really something I want to pin my ops to
16:10 entil I noticed if I do a sync_all and look at the minion cache I don't see anything there. also that there's lag sometimes, so doing foo && bar && baz may be too fast.
16:13 KyleG joined #salt
16:17 melinath joined #salt
16:20 entil chrism: I think there was a mention somewhere that they might be changing the git implementation
16:20 entil maybe the current one just sucks
16:20 ninkotech_ joined #salt
16:21 entil and, graah, I have this hierarchy of environments I started doing, like environments/init.sls and environments/foo/init.sls and "No matching sls found for" :E
16:21 entil it's small stuff like this that gets under your skin. Y U NO FIND
16:23 dvogt joined #salt
16:24 armonge joined #salt
16:24 Corey I do suggest that if your operational config lives in github that you're simple.
16:25 Corey Storing it in *git* makes sense, but run your own git server for god's sake, this is your infrastructure we're talking about here...
16:25 entil it's 2013, people have everything from their companies' books to product code in hosted services
16:28 Corey entil: I'm aware. I just think it's dumb. :-)
16:28 entil as much as I agree that it sucks, the affordability and speed of hosted services is pretty hard to compete with
16:29 entil "lemme just set this webmail up.. apt-get install postfix and then.." "*click* we're on google"
16:29 Corey Oh, mail makes sense to outsource.
16:29 Corey But if your code is at all valuable as IP, then I don't think github is the answer. Github enterprise might be.
16:29 entil remember having group permission issues with, and some poor sucker can't push, and there's like this one dude with power to and fix the permissions?
16:30 entil and that's because the company can't afford to hire a devops dude who actually cares about that shit because the company is a startup that's 80+% likely to be dead in a year anyway
16:30 entil that's most of business :(
16:30 entil *issues with git
16:31 chrism harsh truths in #salt
16:31 chrism lol
16:31 marc_ joined #salt
16:31 Guest54491 Hey guys, how do I reference the minion name from my state files?
16:32 chrism Guest54491: hostname?
16:32 KyleG Guest54491: Grains
16:32 entil dunno, in top you have '*' which is replaceable, and then you can do grains
16:32 entil I have this crazy SOB that didn't work under environments/ : - {{ grains['ec2_tags']['environment'] }}
16:32 entil I  can define the environment in aws
16:33 Guest54491 hmm.. so grains knows what's the current minion the state is being run?
16:33 KyleG So I have hostnames like bd0.br0.hostname.com and I'm doing these inside of the init.sls file: {% if grains['host'] == 'bd0' %}
16:33 KyleG {% elif grains['host'] == 'noc' %}
16:33 KyleG etc
16:33 UtahDave Guest54491: yes
16:33 Guest54491 ha! will try that
16:33 Guest54491 cheers
16:34 LGSilva joined #salt
16:35 entil so uhh.. if I create my users and then stuff in their homes, and this setup insists on creating stuff in their homes *before* the users are available, and I do require: - user: Verify user {{ user }} and it *still* craps itself, what should I do? (except give up and hire a devops guy with infinite patience?)
16:35 EugeneKay Alcohol.
16:36 koolhead17 joined #salt
16:36 koolhead17 joined #salt
16:36 LGSilva hey guys, where can I find a changelog for salt? I'm trying to find out if it's possible to overwrite one pillar item without rewriting the whole pillar.
16:37 avn guys, I have a question -- do we have module to manage runit services.
16:39 Corey avn: Checking.
16:42 avn Looks like I can make own, based on salt.modules.daemontools
16:43 chrism entil: I think you want something like require:  - user.exists: <username>
16:43 chrism entil: alternatively, you can throw in an 'order: last' in there and it'll be one of the last things executed
16:44 entil chrism: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/salt-users/G8vV_wZOB3c
16:44 entil chrism: "In terms of require: - user: bob, this should 'just work (tm)'. "
16:44 entil chrism: because the user definition is user.present
16:44 dthom91 joined #salt
16:45 entil unless I'm wrong
16:45 Kzim joined #salt
16:49 Charatna joined #salt
16:50 Charatna left #salt
16:51 entil the Rendered data stuff in /var/log/ seems legit, though
16:51 entil the stuff is in the appropriate order
16:51 lvicks joined #salt
16:52 auser joined #salt
16:52 sashka_ua Furao: do you use salt-api?
16:52 auser hey all
16:56 UtahDave morning, auser!
16:56 auser how goes UtahDave
16:57 UtahDave good!  Just recovering from the Texas Linux Fest this weekend.  It was a lot of fun
16:57 auser nice!!
17:03 mperry_ is it possible to target the same machine multiple ways in the top file?
17:04 chrism sure
17:04 mperry_ for example i have a machien that is of type X but also want to match it on the 'os:CentOS' grain
17:04 chrism oh I think topfile is explicitly matching on hostnames
17:04 chrism sorry I misunderstood
17:04 entil if the grain is available
17:05 mperry_ entil, os is builtin so should be available everywhere
17:05 entil I blew myself in the head with the grain I mentioned (ec2_tags) because it's not available on boot yet, so if you have a custom grain that depends on something, you need to take it elsewhere with require
17:05 mperry_ but only my host-specific config is running
17:07 Charatna1 joined #salt
17:07 Charatna1 left #salt
17:07 Kzim Hey everyone
17:07 Kzim Is it possible to have dict in grains or just key,value and key,list ? please
17:08 UtahDave Kzim: yes, you can have a dict
17:08 whit joined #salt
17:08 Kzim UtahDave,thans ! i can't set dict with setval() right ? i do have to make a module to set and store them in JSON for example ?
17:09 bezaban how mature is salt? ie. is it production ready?
17:09 clintberry joined #salt
17:09 UtahDave Kzim: Hm. I'm pretty sure you could create a dict with setval().   Let me try
17:09 UtahDave bezaban: people use it in production every day
17:09 entil bezaban: I guess it is, it's just not super obvious
17:10 Kzim UtahDave, [] worked but {} didn't but i can be wrong for sure
17:10 entil and that's not about maturity as such, it's about patience with documentation and taking the time for setting it up
17:10 efixit joined #salt
17:10 bezaban I see.  I've been looking at it, but the 'low' version number put me off a little, but I guess versioning schemes are different
17:11 chrism bezaban: tbqh if god forbid salt quit development tomorrow, I'd have no issues using what I have as of this point to maintain my infrastructure for a long time
17:11 chrism no way would i shunt it back over to chef/puppet
17:11 Kzim UtahDave,sorry i have to run i'll be back in 45 min i'll check your answer thanks a lot
17:11 bezaban this channel seems active too, which is a great plus
17:11 entil the one thing I'd like is to be able to validate all the confs before doing anything with them, and I found some source by googling but nothing obvious
17:12 auser bezaban: that's one of the reasons salt is so great, IMHO
17:12 UtahDave Kzim: sudo salt \* grains.setval mydict "{bob: hope, john: denver}"
17:12 bezaban an active community can be alfa-omega :)
17:12 aleszoulek joined #salt
17:12 bezaban thanks everyone, think I'll deploy it in testing :)
17:13 jdaggett joined #salt
17:13 UtahDave bezaban: Let us know if you have any questions while you're testing!
17:13 bezaban UtahDave: will do :)
17:13 bezaban will probably be pre-testing on my workstations + VMs at first
17:14 UtahDave cool
17:14 entil https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/345 is this exported to the cli?
17:15 jpadilla joined #salt
17:15 bezaban chrism: did you come from puppet/chef?
17:16 chrism chef
17:16 aberant joined #salt
17:16 chrism but tbh chef was enough of a usability disaster that I stayed away from it
17:17 krissaxton joined #salt
17:17 UtahDave entil: yeah, it should be
17:17 felixhummel joined #salt
17:18 entil I couldn't find documentation for this, but how do I list everything salt knows how to do on the cli?
17:18 entil --help seems to assume I know the command already
17:18 UtahDave entil:  salt 'minion' sys.doc
17:19 UtahDave entil: salt 'minion' sys.doc state
17:19 ZenoTasedro joined #salt
17:19 entil there is the reference for python code which seems pretty 1:1 with the cli but trawling the web is pain
17:19 entil UtahDave: zomg
17:19 entil thanks
17:19 UtahDave you're welcome!
17:19 ZenoTasedro howdy howdy
17:20 entil can I do something like that against master? to verify my sls files are ok?
17:20 UtahDave entil: salt 'myminion' state.show_highstate
17:20 UtahDave salt 'myminion' state.show_sls
17:20 entil but doesn't that presume I already got the current state pushed out there?
17:20 ZenoTasedro entil: also http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/states/testing.html
17:21 entil so if I have something totally broken in my states, asking the minion to show its highstate wouldn't help me catch what I have broken before I try to push it
17:21 efixit joined #salt
17:21 ZenoTasedro i believe the test=True will tell salt to make it a test run, where it tells you what it'll do, but doesnt do it
17:22 entil Comment:   User chishop is not available Group chishop is not available
17:22 entil hellyeah
17:22 entil of course that makes me sad because require: should be taking care of that for me but still
17:22 entil test=True seems to be what I was after
17:24 all_the_fisch joined #salt
17:25 ZenoTasedro weee, yeah it's helpful
17:25 jpadilla joined #salt
17:25 kermit joined #salt
17:26 UtahDave ZenoTasedro: It was great to meet you at the Texas Linux Fest.  You had some awesome questions
17:26 UtahDave and some good answers, too!
17:26 it_dude joined #salt
17:26 ZenoTasedro UtahDave: yeah it was nice to meet you as well!
17:27 ZenoTasedro i've definitely used salt enough to still have some questions :p
17:27 ZenoTasedro but i did want to contribute to the overall conversation :D you did a good job
17:27 UtahDave Thanks!
17:28 UtahDave We had a pretty good group there. Something like 35 or 40 people. Lots and lots of great questions
17:28 UtahDave I had a lot of fun
17:28 ZenoTasedro we were all amused that we got to go get food and beer while the opscode people had a whole day class :P
17:28 KyleG UtahDave: Am I going to see you at velocity?
17:29 UtahDave KyleG: that's in June, right?
17:29 KyleG yup, it's in a couple weeks
17:29 UtahDave I think I am. Let me look at the calendar
17:29 KyleG June 17th- 20th I believe
17:30 ZenoTasedro UtahDave: did you meet JasonSwindle as well? :p
17:31 ska left #salt
17:32 UtahDave KyleG: yeah, I'm most likely going to be there
17:32 KyleG Nice! Hope to see you there :) It will be my first time going to Velocity
17:32 UtahDave Yeah, same here.
17:33 UtahDave should be really cool
17:33 ZenoTasedro bah, that looks fun
17:33 UtahDave ZenoTasedro: No, I didn't meet him in person
17:33 ZenoTasedro ah, i know he was excited about that
17:33 UtahDave I was supposed to text him to go hang out at the Rackspace Austin office, but I didn't get a chance to do that
17:33 UtahDave In fact, I should probably give him a call anyway.
17:34 ZenoTasedro yeah, we're both trying to spread the love of salt around
17:34 UtahDave I actually met a TON of rackers there.
17:34 ZenoTasedro honestly at this point the though of using the "others" makes me want to cry
17:34 UtahDave It was great.
17:34 UtahDave he he
17:34 ZenoTasedro thought* rather
17:35 ZenoTasedro maybe someday i won't be such a fanboy, but i just like nice things
17:35 entil argh! have I been on a wild goose chase? these errors I see, about users not being available... like chishop not being available for ~chishop/.bash_logout right? when I get to ssh in there I can sudo su - chishop and see the file correctly owned by the user
17:35 entil so is there something maybe broken in the reporting?
17:35 entil that I've been running in circles for literally hours here :P
17:38 jacksontj joined #salt
17:38 UtahDave entil: can you pastebin your sls files?
17:38 ZenoTasedro Hmm, i've seen some errors like that before entil, are you running 15.1?
17:39 entil 0.15.2
17:39 entil UtahDave: this is a bunch of stuff, wonder if a non-nda subset would suffice? ideas?
17:39 aat joined #salt
17:39 ZenoTasedro hmm, i'm still on 15.1, and had some issues with groups and user reporting
17:40 ZenoTasedro but i backported the useradd state module to fix the errors i had, but i think i used what went into 15.2
17:40 UtahDave entil: yeah, can you pastebin the portions dealing with that user?
17:40 entil UtahDave: yeah, gimme a sec plz and I'll anonymize something for you :)
17:41 UtahDave cool
17:41 entil http://pastebin.com/630pi2ar
17:42 entil was actually pretty trivial to pull off
17:42 all_the_fisch joined #salt
17:43 entil not much need for anonymization
17:43 ZenoTasedro entil: maybe you need a require in the home file bit?
17:43 entil what I'd like to do (if this actually works otherwise) is see if I can put all groups and users under one id, the for loop under that id, and then require like all the groups at once. after that etckeeper hooks would be easier
17:44 Kzim UtahDave, Oh the "" thanks a lot ! i have to do a sync_grains each time i setval() ?
17:44 entil ZenoTasedro: shieeeet, I actually did miss it there
17:44 ZenoTasedro :p
17:44 entil then why did the file appear there?
17:45 entil surely user.present does not implicitly deal with /etc/skel so I just accidentally believe it to have worked when it's actually the other skel files? :D
17:45 ZenoTasedro i'd guess maybe the useradd stuff did it, as it probably defaults to create a home dir and copy /etc/skeleton and such
17:45 entil oh boy @ echo
17:45 UtahDave Kzim: that's a bug that's been fixed.
17:45 ZenoTasedro i'm not sure, because it might depend on the os defaults for useradd
17:46 Kzim UtahDave, Great ! i got salt 0.15.1
17:46 entil but can I do something like groups: {% for group in ... %} group.present: - name: {{ group }}
17:46 UtahDave entil: yes
17:46 ZenoTasedro yeah absolutely
17:47 entil and then I can say require: - group: groups
17:47 UtahDave entil:  your requires for "Home of {{ user }}:"   and "Home etc of {{ user }}: "    are malformed
17:47 UtahDave should be     - user: {{ user }}
17:47 krissaxton joined #salt
17:48 entil or cmd.run: - watch: - group: groups \n\n -name etckeeper
17:48 ZenoTasedro woah now, you lost me there :p
17:48 entil I need to indent that into pastebin
17:48 entil or try it out first
17:48 entil UtahDave: umm wat, where? line 20?
17:49 entil isn't that id reference ok?
17:49 ZenoTasedro UtahDave: he id'd the users as  "user {{ user }}"
17:49 entil aaah, I should probably have the etc thing require the home thing
17:49 ZenoTasedro line 3
17:49 entil and same for the files, they would require the home as well (atm they require nothing)
17:49 ZenoTasedro yeah
17:49 alekibango joined #salt
17:50 entil I think I'll take the moment to simplify the names, never thought I'd actually be referring to those
17:50 UtahDave ah, I see.
17:50 LarsN UtahDave: looks like you made it back.
17:50 UtahDave LarsN: yes, finally!
17:50 ZenoTasedro UtahDave: you mentioned in the training something about possible salt integration with NetApp, are there any documents describing anything about that?
17:51 UtahDave ZenoTasedro: nope, nothing yet. Nothing implemented yet either.
17:51 ZenoTasedro yeah i didn't think it was implemented, i just know a guy who may tear up at that idea
17:51 ZenoTasedro lol
17:51 UtahDave :)
17:51 LarsN This should be a pretty easy question.  I installed salt-master using the ppa repo & apt on Ubuntu.
17:52 LarsN is the correct location for my sls files going to be under /usr/share/pyshared/salt/
17:52 UtahDave LarsN: nope. By default your file_roots config option is /srv/salt/
17:53 LarsN Weird...
17:54 UtahDave LarsN: My US Airways flight from Phoenix to Salt Lake was 40 minutes into the flight (more than half way there)  when the pilot got on the intercom and said we were going back to Phoenix because they had forgotten to wait for the co-pilot who was flying the plane in the morning to its next destination
17:54 UtahDave I didn't get home until past 2am.  :(
17:54 LarsN http://pastebin.com/tJJUtPVj
17:54 LarsN ouch.
17:55 UtahDave entil: can you pastebin the error you're getting?
17:55 entil LarsN: look at your /etc/salt/master
17:55 karlp if 0.15.3 is the latest, what sort of timeframe should I expect for the ubuntu 1204 lts PPA to be updated? (it still has 0.15.1)
17:55 UtahDave LarsN: you might have to create the /srv/salt directory.  Althought it's usually created by the package
17:55 UtahDave karlp: we're going to release it soon. Basically as soon as I finish the Windows installers.
17:56 karlp LarsN: the 0.15.1 ppa I used didn't create the /srv/salt directory, fwiw
17:56 LarsN entil: ok, I see, the defaults are certainly /srv/salt.  I'll create that directory shortly.
17:56 LarsN karlp: Thanks :)
17:56 karlp (might be one of the things fixed in the "coming soon" version ;)
17:57 entil UtahDave: I'm sorry but I think I don't have errors :D I'll finish reading the output
17:57 LarsN UtahDave: half or our L2 support staff is "giddy" at the idea of using salt to keep their "test-control" instances managed with some level of automation.
17:58 whit joined #salt
17:58 N-Mi joined #salt
17:58 N-Mi joined #salt
17:58 LarsN a few of the L1 guys are excited too.  I have two areas where my team will be making use of it.  Can't thank you enough for giving the class on Friday.
17:58 entil UtahDave: though it seems some of the skel files came form salt whereas others did not :O
17:59 entil I tainted them with # SALT at the top
17:59 entil I've been working too long. hell, I even quit smoking so I haven't had breaks, so my brain is too fried for this
18:00 entil and working from home
18:00 entil all the worst conditions so I should probably just do something else and get back with fresh eyes
18:00 vaxholm joined #salt
18:01 entil thanks for the help, I'll see tomorrow if I can sort this out _o/
18:02 UtahDave LarsN: :)  You're very welcome. It was a lot of fun.
18:02 UtahDave entil: OK, man.  go take a nap!   :)
18:03 UtahDave LarsN: Yeah, I use salt and salt-cloud with a bunch of prepared sls files to demo various aspects of Salt.
18:03 UtahDave I need to create one using HP cloud.
18:04 Kzim can i do something like this ? salt -G 'mongo:port:10001' test.ping or salt -G 'mongo' test.ping  just so see if the minion has the key ?
18:06 UtahDave Kzim: have you tried it?
18:08 Kzim salt -G 'mongo:*' test.ping works but salt -G 'mongo:port:*' test.ping don't
18:08 Kzim not sure about the syntaxe
18:09 LarsN Kzim: when you do a grains.items, would any other server in your environment have port:10001 ?
18:10 melinath joined #salt
18:10 Kzim LarsN, i only have one minion wich is the same as the master in my local VM :)
18:10 LarsN Kzim: so I did things based off of -G "os_family:FreeBSD"
18:11 LarsN and since virtually everything I'm doing relates to the cloud I was going to add grains for "HPCloud_Region" "HPCloud_AZ"
18:11 LarsN and such.
18:12 Kzim LarsN, i'm not sure to follow you
18:13 LarsN Kzim: so if you do:  salt "*" grains.items
18:13 LarsN you have something like ---    mongo: <value>
18:14 LarsN is there another item that's ---  mongo_port: <value>  or no?
18:15 Kzim LarsN, hold on i think the grains didn't refreshed well
18:16 Kzim LarsN, i' m so sorry i refresh the grains and now it work
18:16 UtahDave LarsN++
18:16 LarsN Kzim: no worries at all.  I'm so new to Salt I'm sure I'm doing it wrong too, and should stop doing it wrong.
18:17 LarsN of course I get to learn a lot by trying to help.
18:17 Kzim one stupid question perhaps. i do a salt -G 'mongo:port:10001' test.ping and there is only one minion and it find it and do the test.ping but after that the command hang for like 5-10sec
18:17 UtahDave plus LarsN might possibly have some experience helping people with technical issues.  :)
18:17 Kzim LarsN, Thanks a lot for the help :)
18:18 LarsN maybe a little...
18:18 it_dude joined #salt
18:18 Kzim UtahDave, looks like you know eachother :)
18:18 UtahDave Kzim: what's the output of  salt-key -L
18:18 UtahDave Kzim: we just met at a conference this weekend.
18:18 LarsN I went to UtahDave's class on Friday, and then had Tacos in Autin. :)
18:18 Kzim Accepted Keys:
18:18 Kzim kzimvm
18:18 Kzim Unaccepted Keys:
18:18 Kzim Rejected Keys:
18:18 Kzim sorry for the multiline
18:19 KyleG LarsN: you're so lucky, I miss Austin tacos SO damn much.
18:19 UtahDave Torchy's Tacos is awesome!
18:19 KyleG I moved from Austin to LA last year…I just can't find similar quality tacos. Which surprises me.
18:19 LarsN KyleG: lots of work here, you could always relocate :)
18:19 KyleG LarsN: I did the opposite ;P lol
18:19 Kzim UtahDave, hehe ok :) i just salt-key -d another minion so i only have one left
18:19 KyleG Torchy's is okay guys, you gotta checkout pacos tacos though
18:19 KyleG It's by the home depot near the Dell Medical center. MMMMMM
18:20 LarsN Torchy's was walking distance from the conference.  Paco's is a frequent "dinner run" on work nights.
18:20 UtahDave Kzim: ok, it should be faster now. If you have an accepted minion the master will wait 5 seconds to get a response
18:20 UtahDave now you guys are making me hungry
18:20 bemehow joined #salt
18:20 Kzim UtahDave, it's the same after i removed the otherone
18:22 gordonm joined #salt
18:22 auser hey, was the latest salt package released yet?
18:22 UtahDave hm, weird
18:22 UtahDave auser: Yeah, packagers are releasing 0.15.3 to the various repos right now.
18:23 Katafalkas joined #salt
18:23 auser rad UtahDave!
18:23 auser I'm SO looking forward to it
18:23 auser in case that wasn't obvious
18:23 UtahDave We'll make an official announcement in an hour or so
18:23 UtahDave :)
18:24 jlund joined #salt
18:24 Kzim How much guy dev on salt ? i mean it's going very fast :)
18:24 jlund Where are the release notes for the minor versions?
18:24 LarsN > 300 according to the slides
18:24 LarsN Kzim: ^
18:24 Kzim wow nice
18:26 UtahDave Kzim: http://www.ohloh.net/p/compare?project_0=salt
18:28 Kzim UtahDave, i'll love to contribute but i'm still too noob :)
18:29 emilis_info joined #salt
18:29 DredTiger joined #salt
18:29 UtahDave Kzim: :)  You'd be surprised how soon you'll be contributing.
18:30 ZenoTasedro taco's are amazing
18:30 UtahDave Kzim: and actually, we always need help with docs. If you see any problems with the docs as you're learning it would be awesome if you could update them.
18:30 ZenoTasedro just to chime in on the convo above
18:30 UtahDave ZenoTasedro: :)
18:31 ZenoTasedro san antonio tacos are better though!
18:31 UtahDave well, all this talk of food has gotten me hungry.  Off to lunch.
18:31 Kzim UtahDave, i'll think of it even i' m a bit shy :)
18:31 dthom91 joined #salt
18:31 jlund The latest release notes that I see are for 0.15.1. Does anyone know where information for 0.15.2 and 0.15.3 can be found?
18:31 KyleG Kens Tacos in Austin = HUGE cheap taco filled with deliciousness. Highly recommend it to any of you lucky enough to be in ATX.
18:32 KyleG </end taco talk>
18:32 KyleG :-P
18:32 LarsN KyleG: added to my "ATX Food Recommendations" notebook in Evernote.
18:32 LarsN Thanks :)
18:32 KyleG No problem, you'll thank me more later. :-P
18:33 LarsN UtahDave: enjoy lunch, I suspect I'll consider contributing once i have a little bit better handle on things.  Documentation, and Bug reports at a minimum.
18:34 Corey KyleG: You're in Austin?
18:34 KyleG Corey: Nope, but I lived there for a year when I worked at HostGator, been in LA for just over a year now. :-)
18:34 Corey I'm tentatively trying to get a Salt talk going there at the end of the month.
18:34 Corey KyleG: Lousiana?
18:34 KyleG Los Angeles
18:34 Corey KyleG: Uh, I'm in Los Angeles. Beer run? :-)
18:34 KyleG I always confuse those too. lol
18:35 KyleG Corey: We've got a keg in the office, come on by at 5:30 :-P
18:35 Corey KyleG: Which office?
18:35 KyleG You're one of the SaltStack devs right? Because if you seriously want to come by I just have to have a decent reason for letting a stranger into our office lol.
18:36 LarsN <---- brews his own. :)
18:36 auser YAY!!! New version
18:36 Corey KyleG: I'm the Ubuntu packager,and occasional bug hunter.
18:36 auser holla Corey
18:36 KyleG nice
18:36 Corey auser: Yeah, just pushed 0.15.3 to the PPA.
18:36 KyleG I'll PM you
18:36 LarsN Corey: oh really...
18:36 auser oh thanks
18:36 LarsN Corey: so, does the new version in the ppa build /srv/salt now?
18:36 LarsN ;)
18:36 Corey LarsN: Uh... would you want it to? :)
18:37 Corey "Don't bloody touch the file tree" is kinda goal 1.
18:37 auser alright, hasta for now. lunch meeting
18:37 auser doh! wrong window
18:37 LarsN they tell me that's the default location for sls files.  I was confused when I saw it didn't exist.
18:37 LarsN not the end of the world now that I know.
18:38 auser thanks all
18:42 LarsN Corey: goal 1, is one of the reasons I don't maintain packages.  I'm sure I'd do it wrong, and would need to be told to stop doing it wrong.
18:42 Corey LarsN: Yeah, if you have data there and a package stomps it, I've just caused a very serious problem.
18:44 lvicks joined #salt
18:44 pcarrier_ joined #salt
18:45 dlam joined #salt
18:46 armonge joined #salt
18:47 karlp Corey: I'd still like the directory to be made with perhaps a sample file top.sls.example if the directory didn't even exist.
18:48 Corey karlp: File an issue plz. :-)
18:48 karlp definitely, don't go replacing it's contents with examples if I already had sfuff there.
18:48 karlp ok :)
18:48 Corey karlp: Right, debian packages are "interesting."
18:50 karlp #5384 for you then :)
18:51 ttomkinson joined #salt
18:53 nrub joined #salt
18:54 Radex joined #salt
18:54 jdaggett joined #salt
18:56 Corey http://blog.serverfault.com/2013/06/03/cross-platform-configuration-management-is-hard/
18:59 efixit joined #salt
19:03 felskrone joined #salt
19:03 felskrone hey
19:03 KyleG Hallo
19:04 ronc joined #salt
19:04 balltongu hi guys, likely an easy one but I can't seem to google the exact syntax I need here. I want to run a command from the cli as a different user without using sudo wih the cmd.run module. My guesses have come up wrong but basically i'd expect it to be something like salt '*' cmd.run 'whoami > /tmp/blah' user=whoever
19:08 koolhead17 joined #salt
19:08 koolhead17 joined #salt
19:09 nliadm balltongu: 'runas'
19:09 felskrone has anyone ever experienced varying numbers of minions not responding when using patterns for adressing (like salt 'server*' <CMD>)? for example the first run has 850/1900 minions responding, the second only 1150/1900 and the third 950/1900 again. it rarely happens, that all respond as they are supposed to. this only happens in pattern mode, when using hostlists, it works as expected.
19:09 nliadm thought others might find this useful: https://gist.github.com/hdonnay/5700506
19:10 balltongu nliadm: where would runas=whoever go in a cmd.run call from the cli?
19:10 aat joined #salt
19:10 nliadm balltongu: at the end, like you had it
19:10 balltongu ahh, ok, cool
19:10 balltongu will try, thanks a bunch
19:14 zooz joined #salt
19:15 bemehow joined #salt
19:16 jgelens Is there some 0.15.2 deb package for ubuntu available already
19:16 whit joined #salt
19:17 felskrone jfelhttp://debian.saltstack.com/debian/
19:17 felskrone ups, try that url :-)
19:18 felskrone that was meant to say 'jgelens' :-)
19:18 jgelens :) no 0.15.2 yet there
19:18 felskrone oh, you can built from the the git checkout very easily with dpkg-buildpackage
19:18 lvicks joined #salt
19:18 felskrone if you're familiar with it
19:19 UtahDave 0.15.3 is being released as we speak.
19:19 felskrone hey dave
19:19 UtahDave felskrone: what version of salt are you on?
19:20 felskrone have you ever expierenced bugs in the minions matching code when using patterns? like matching code taking very long and or even hitting infinite loops?
19:20 felskrone currenty 0.13.1-x and im trying to figure out if swtiching to 0.15.x might fix my problem
19:21 UtahDave felskrone: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will.  0.15.3 should be available soon. Like this afternoon.
19:21 felskrone we're getting more and more minions connected (currently ~5000) and using patterns is badly needed :-)
19:21 UtahDave right
19:21 felskrone great, ill try that tomorrow than
19:22 felskrone i'll also  commit module for checking the raid-status of dell-servers running perc4/5/6 and h5xx/h7xx controllers if you're interesed
19:23 UtahDave felskrone: Yeah, that would be an awesome addition!
19:24 felskrone output sort of looks like this depending on the controller used "server012 {'logical_drive1': {'state': 'Optimal', 'name': 'content', 'span0': {'pd1': {'slot': 3, 'media_error': 1}}}}"
19:24 felskrone im afraid the code is pretty ugly though so feel free to reject it :-)
19:25 felskrone parsing large amounts of of text with varying syntax is such a pain in the ass and makes code really ugly
19:25 UtahDave :)  I'm sure it will be great.
19:26 felskrone well, how fixed are you guys on the "80 characters a line" syntax? :-)
19:26 UtahDave If you want, you could send the pull request to the salt-contrib repo so we can have some people try it out and look over the code before pushing it to salt proper.
19:28 felskrone doing 80 characters with 4 spaces for indenting while stacking four loops over each other is pretty hard :-)
19:28 chesty joined #salt
19:28 jgelens felskrone: thanks for the dpkg-buildpackage suggestion
19:28 UtahDave :)
19:29 felskrone jgelens: sure thing :-)
19:29 karlp balltongu: I ran into problems with the cmd.run module in 0.15.1, but it's all "meant to work" from 0.15.2 onwards.
19:29 felskrone dave, got any hint on the issue number concerning my bug?
19:29 karlp (doing the same runas= and cwd= params you were trying)
19:29 balltongu good to know, thanks karlp
19:29 chesty is there a book on salt, or one in the works?
19:30 UtahDave no book yet. We are in talks with o'reilly about it thought
19:30 UtahDave felskrone: on your varying minions returning?
19:30 felskrone uh, salt is getting really speedy it seems :-)
19:30 felskrone yes
19:31 Ahlee aslt-api question again, the -d client'local' - where can I get documentation on the avaialble clients (is it just python client api?)
19:31 felskrone i'm just curious because i could not find anything in the current issues
19:31 krissaxton joined #salt
19:31 chesty UtahDave: awesome, hopefully they let people pre order it and receive drafts
19:32 felskrone Ahlee: what are you trying to do?
19:32 UtahDave felskrone: Yeah,  first, we've upgraded zmq to 3.2.x   That was a huge one.  Plus, Tom has done a lot of improvements and fixes with the matcher.  I think you're going to see a lot of improvements in 0.15.3 for you, felskrone
19:33 felskrone great, ill wait for tomorrow than. i guess ill have to built zmq for squeeze though.
19:34 ogrisel joined #salt
19:34 Ahlee felskrone: grain matching via salt-api
19:35 Ahlee -d client='local' -d expr_form='grain_pcre' doesn't appear to match
19:35 Ahlee I see no documentation of the client= on the readthedocs for saltapi, so I'm digging source
19:35 felskrone Ahlee: have a look at /usr/share/pyshared/salt/client.py, the clients are in there
19:35 Ahlee and, well, i'm lazy
19:36 UtahDave felskrone: I think zmq3.2 is provided by debian.saltstack.com now
19:36 felskrone Ahlee: there are different ones depending on what you want to do, like iterators, asynchronous etc.
19:37 felskrone UtahDave: that would be awesome and save quite a lot of work :-)
19:37 whiteinge the client interfaces are (sparsely) documented here: http://salt-api.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/netapis/index.html#client-interfaces
19:37 UtahDave yep.  joehh has been doing a lot of awesome work for the debian packaging
19:38 Ahlee thanks whiteinge
19:39 Ahlee I don't see why this isn't working based on that
19:39 craig_ i'm having a difficult time getting a simple netapi up
19:39 Ahlee so, back to the salt.client docs
19:39 craig_ https://salt-api.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ref/netapis/all/saltapi.netapi.rest_cherrypy.html
19:39 kvbik joined #salt
19:39 whiteinge more (also sparse) client docs here: http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/clients/index.html#salt-client-api-interfaces
19:39 felskrone Ahlee: if you want to use the api and have difficulties let me know, i'll send you what ive got running :-)
19:39 craig_ tried basically that, but when started, the "fun in netapi" loop doesnt do anything
19:40 craig_ think im missing something obvious in the config
19:40 Ahlee felskrone: I have simple api items up and working - i'm struggling with compound grain matching via salt-api
19:40 felskrone sec
19:40 whiteinge craig_: can you pastebin your config?
19:40 craig_ one sec
19:41 whiteinge craig_: both the rest_cherrypy section and the external_auth section
19:43 craig_ whiteinge: http://pastebin.com/j8qUnaYR
19:43 craig_ its pretty much right from the above page
19:43 Ahlee so actaully, it looks like just grain_pcre isn't working for me.  If i -d client='local' and -d expr_form='grain' -d tgt='fullgrainname' it works
19:43 it_dude joined #salt
19:43 felskrone Ahlee: damn, you hit the one matching mode that i have not used yet in my client, sorry
19:43 Ahlee but if i expr_form='grain_pcre' -d tgt='full*'
19:43 Ahlee it fails
19:44 craig_ i added a simple print into client.py
19:44 Ahlee well, doesn't fail, so much as no return
19:44 craig_ and netapi = {}
19:44 felskrone pattern, list, grain etc, work fine, grains_pcre i have not used yet
19:45 bemehow joined #salt
19:45 whiteinge craig_: that does look fine. what is the command you're running and what output are you seeing?
19:45 Ahlee pattern?
19:46 felskrone Ahlee: my own client can adress patterns like server[0-9]* etc. just like the salt-client can, thats all i meant with that
19:46 whiteinge craig_: er. actually is that second list item indented in your config?
19:47 milind joined #salt
19:47 craig_ whiteinge: line#2? (yes
19:47 craig_ sudo /usr/bin/salt-api --pid-file=salt-api -l debug
19:47 krissaxton joined #salt
19:48 craig_ [INFO    ] Configuration file path: /etc/salt/master
19:48 craig_ [DEBUG   ] Created pidfile: salt-api
19:48 craig_ [DEBUG   ] Chowned pidfile: salt-api to user: root
19:48 craig_ [DEBUG   ] loading netapi in ['/export/apps/salt/cache/extmods/netapi', '/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/saltapi/neta
19:48 craig_ pi']
19:48 craig_ [DEBUG   ] Skipping /export/apps/salt/cache/extmods/netapi, it is not a directory
19:48 craig_ ugh.. newlines.. :(
19:48 craig_ dont see anything in the logs
19:48 craig_ but, the process exists
19:48 whiteinge craig_: that may be throwing salt off (line five is indented one level too deep)
19:48 whiteinge can you auth with that user via salt at the cli?
19:49 whiteinge salt -a ldap '*' test.ping
19:49 craig_ no
19:49 craig_ oops
19:49 craig_ one sec
19:50 craig_ whiteinge: no
19:50 sashka_ua craig_: I think you would need to install CherryPy
19:51 craig_ but, that would just prevent anything from executing.... it should still start up the erst endpoint, right?
19:51 craig_ yes, cherrypy was/is installed (via yum if that matters)
19:51 sashka_ua it will not start up with it
19:51 sashka_ua it will just silently close
19:51 sashka_ua run "salt-api -a all"
19:52 sashka_ua salt-api -l all
19:52 sashka_ua it matters
19:52 craig_ it looks the same...
19:52 sashka_ua is it centos?
19:52 craig_ rhel 6
19:53 sashka_ua it has python 2.4
19:53 craig_ no. 2.6
19:53 sashka_ua just check
19:53 craig_ k
19:53 sashka_ua rpm -qa | grep -i cherry
19:53 sashka_ua then
19:53 sashka_ua rpm -ql PACKAGENAME
19:53 sashka_ua it will show you a list of files
19:54 craig_ 2.6 eggs
19:54 craig_ /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/CherryPy-3.2.2-py2.6.egg-info
19:54 craig_ is that what you're looking for?
19:54 sashka_ua yes
19:54 sashka_ua then do "ps auxfww"
19:54 sashka_ua ps auxfww| grep api
19:55 craig_ this is a total setup env.. so happy to hack ay whatever just to get the demo to work :)
19:55 sashka_ua ensure you have no api running in background
19:55 craig_ ya, nothing
19:55 craig_ none
19:55 craig_ it writes the pid file and a ps of the pid shows nothing
19:55 sashka_ua ## API
19:55 sashka_ua rest_cherrypy: port: 8000 debug: False  static: /srv/salt-ui ssl_crt: /etc/pki/tls/private/localhost.crt ssl_key: /etc/pki/tls/private/localhost.key
19:56 craig_ static?
19:56 craig_ oh, html/images..
19:56 craig_ right
19:56 sashka_ua that's for salt-ui
19:56 sashka_ua I thought you want to run salt-api :)
19:56 craig_ ya, i remember seeing that in the docs
19:56 craig_ yes
19:57 craig_ yes, salt-api
19:57 sashka_ua so, you basically don't need to install any images/ui
19:57 sashka_ua http://paste.debian.net/8319/
19:57 craig_ right, i dont have the static key defined in the master config atm
19:57 Kzim hi, can i have /etc/salt/gains in json instead of YAML ?
19:58 sashka_ua Kzim: another file via ext_pillar, cmd_json
19:58 ZenoTasedro Kzim: yeah, i believe so, just need a json #! i think
19:58 Ryan_Lane joined #salt
19:58 sashka_ua grains is expected to be in yaml I think
19:58 whiteinge craig_: there was a recent issue with the PID files so that may not be reliable way to see if it's running. (the fix will be in the next release)
19:58 craig_ OMG!!! that sucked....
19:59 sashka_ua craig_: can you run just "salt -l all" and pastebin the output?
19:59 craig_ typo of "cherrypi"... no "y"*** :(
19:59 whiteinge doh!
19:59 UtahDave Kzim: yes, because valid json is valid yaml
19:59 sashka_ua :) ha
19:59 jlund The latest release notes that I see are for 0.15.1. Does anyone know where information for 0.15.2 and 0.15.3 can be found?
19:59 craig_ not a good way to start the week :)
19:59 craig_ thanks guys!!! its up. i can play with it now :)
19:59 sashka_ua UtahDave: cool, didn't know that
19:59 Kzim UtahDave, Great is it something we can configure tin minion cfg ?
20:00 sashka_ua :)
20:00 ZenoTasedro UtahDave: does pillar not support #!?
20:00 UtahDave you can templatize the pillar with jinja or mako.  I'm not sure about the shebang
20:00 Gifflen_ joined #salt
20:02 mgw I'm trying to remember if ext_pillar modules can be combined and if so, how they are chained...
20:02 mgw Working on an idea that might need that
20:04 sashka_ua mgw: they can be combined, I think. I tried this. But still keys dict will overwrite kyes with the same name. Arrays are not merged
20:04 mgw overwrite is fine, I can handle that within the modules
20:04 mgw sashka_ua are the modules just called in the order they're listed in the config?
20:06 sashka_ua mgw: don't know. And don't think so. Order in configs in salt usually means nothings. It just arguments for functions
20:07 sashka_ua mgw: set two ext_pillars and try to change the order and watch master output ;)
20:07 mgw hmm, that could be problematic. UtahDave, do you know if there's a way to control the order in which ext_pillar modules are called?
20:07 mgw yeah, i might do that
20:09 UtahDave mgw: I'm really not sure about the order of the ext_pillars.
20:09 oliv_mc joined #salt
20:09 mgw UtahDave: ok, thanks. I'll play with it.
20:09 UtahDave mgw: that being said, you can have some pretty awesome control within an ext_pillar to merge dict keys and such
20:10 mgw sure…. but I'm thinking of a scenario where ext_pillar B depends on data from ext_pillar A
20:10 UtahDave you might be able to create one ext_pillar that combines data from several sources in the order you wish and also deal with merging dicts and lists yourself there
20:10 sashka_ua mgw: You will not have that for sure
20:10 m4yfield joined #salt
20:11 sashka_ua mgw: pillar data is unknown until pillar is compiled
20:11 sashka_ua mgw: use grains.setval for that
20:11 mgw sashka_ua: interesting idea
20:12 mgw UtahDave, so you're suggesting rather than multiple ext_pillar mods, just have plugins essentially into a single mod...
20:12 sashka_ua mgw: salt \* grains.setval key value && salt \* saltutil.sync_grains
20:12 Gifflen joined #salt
20:12 UtahDave mgw: that's something you could try if you want really finegrained control over it
20:13 Corey Is there an example usage of salt.mine?
20:14 luminous hello! I don't quite understand much about the esky build path to deploying salt or other apps, anyone familiar with this might be able to run me through some of the details like what you gain or why you would want to take that path?
20:15 whiteinge Corey: (once configured): salt-call mine.get someminion network.interfaces
20:16 whiteinge or from an sls: {{ salt['mine.get']('someminion', 'network.interfaces') }}
20:17 whiteinge Corey: there's been a few bugs in salt mine since it was released. what version are you on?
20:17 lvicks joined #salt
20:17 Corey 0.15.1
20:17 Corey whiteinge: And maybe what I'm doing isn't best for saltmine.
20:18 Corey whiteinge: What I want to do is have a realtime (or cronn'd) list of minions pushed to one particular minion.
20:18 Corey Or pulled.
20:18 Corey Or hand carried.
20:18 Corey That's it.
20:18 Corey :-)
20:18 Corey I'm generating monitoring configs based upon Salt as my source of truth in the environment.
20:19 whiteinge salt mine should work for that just fine
20:19 bemehow joined #salt
20:19 Corey whiteinge: Okay, but the docs are... kinda not there. :-)
20:20 bemehow_ joined #salt
20:21 whiteinge i don't remember the state of salt mine in 15.1. what do you see when you call mine.get?
20:21 whiteinge (plus whatever function you've set up in your master config)
20:24 druonysus joined #salt
20:24 druonysus joined #salt
20:28 maxleonca joined #salt
20:28 sebgoa joined #salt
20:29 maxleonca hey guys, in case anyone else was having problems with file.recurse, it is fixed on 0.15.1
20:30 ingwaem joined #salt
20:31 ingwaem Hi Dave :) Please let Seth know that the ppa update he did worked, and salt-api is now running as a service :) Thanks so much! (Sorry for the delay letting you guys know…I like to let things settle for a few days to test and validate)
20:32 luminous Corey: it seems bonkers to me that soemthing like that list you want is so seemingly difficult to obtain
20:32 jacksontj joined #salt
20:32 whiteinge ingwaem: woot! thanks for the update
20:33 ingwaem whiteinge: you're the man!
20:33 UtahDave ingwaem: cool! thanks, I'll le thim know
20:33 UtahDave err, hey whiteinge.  :)
20:33 UtahDave maxleonca: thanks!
20:33 jpadilla joined #salt
20:34 UtahDave Corey: have you tried the peer interface?  I imagine you have. I know this conversation has been ongoing.
20:34 luminous Corey: what about some module you put in that one minion, and which gets the list from a module on the master?
20:34 luminous somethign simple and direct between those two?
20:34 ronc joined #salt
20:35 luminous considering that the master has all the info you want
20:35 dthom91 joined #salt
20:35 it_dude joined #salt
20:36 brettlangdon joined #salt
20:37 chapel left #salt
20:37 timoguin joined #salt
20:39 ZenoTasedro is there a cli consumer of the salt-api?
20:39 sashka_ua ZenoTasedro: "salt" ? :)
20:40 ZenoTasedro how do you get salt to use a remote master?
20:40 sashka_ua ZenoTasedro: publish?
20:40 sashka_ua ZenoTasedro: not sure what remote master means
20:40 UtahDave we have a repo for a project called salt-pepper, but it's not to the point where it's useful yet.
20:41 ZenoTasedro sashka_ua: like i'm not on the master, i'm on my local box outside of the environment
20:41 UtahDave ZenoTasedro: in your minion config you set the "master: <salt-master hostname or ip>"
20:41 UtahDave oh, then ssh into your master
20:42 ingwaem joined #salt
20:42 sashka_ua yeah. ssh and run salt is the easiest option for cli
20:42 ZenoTasedro i'm trying to abstract out some functionality, using acl's and external auth, so that people who shouldn't have root on the master can use salt
20:43 whiteinge ZenoTasedro: there's one in-development called pepper but i got pulled off it a couple months ago and haven't had time to revisit
20:43 sashka_ua ZenoTasedro: seems you would need to write your own wrapper for api
20:43 sashka_ua ZenoTasedro: CURL!!!
20:43 sashka_ua :)
20:44 sashka_ua you may use curl to script salt tasks
20:44 ingwaem there's a nice API wrapper already available with the Salt-UI. I've been using that to develop my own interaction with the api using cakephp
20:44 ZenoTasedro hmm, good point, the salt-ui may be a better abstraction, but i also want these people to use a cli-like interface to have an easy ramp up into salt
20:44 whit joined #salt
20:44 ZenoTasedro these are proper linux users :)
20:45 ZenoTasedro i just can't give them keys to the castle
20:45 sashka_ua ZenoTasedro: isnt curl suitable option?
20:46 sashka_ua https://salt-api.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ref/netapis/all/saltapi.netapi.rest_cherrypy.html
20:46 ingwaem ZenoTasedro: if they're 'proper linux' users, then have them just run salt-run or salt 'minion target'…if you want to create a web interface that allows them to run commands by clicking a button then a minimum of Salt-api would be needed…UI is helpful in that it shows you how your queries should be structured.
20:46 ZenoTasedro i'd really prefer not to
20:46 sashka_ua here all expamples doen with curl
20:46 ZenoTasedro i'd rather build a small python lib to interface with the api than use curl
20:46 sashka_ua ZenoTasedro: if you can do, so why would not do that :)
20:46 UtahDave ZenoTasedro: could you give them a non-root user account on the master?  Then you can use the client_acl to control their Salt permissions.
20:47 ingwaem if you're using python, why not just bind the salt libs … then you can interact directly without doing api stuff.
20:47 ogrisel joined #salt
20:47 ZenoTasedro sashka_ua: because it's somethign i'd expect others to be interested in as well, and i'd like to use something premade if it exists
20:47 ingwaem but yea, I would go with what utahdave said…client_acl's work well…so does external_auth with the api
20:47 ZenoTasedro yeah i already have that bit setup
20:47 sashka_ua UtahDave: I think you need to collect bindings to salt-api :)
20:47 ZenoTasedro uses ldap and some acls
20:48 UtahDave :)  yep, sashka_ua
20:48 ZenoTasedro fairly sure salt-pepper is what i want, but if it's not ready i might help make it ready, then it'll be exactly what i want
20:48 sashka_ua UtahDave: I can give my php for that :) and develop a python one
20:49 UtahDave sashka_ua: that would be awesome!
20:49 whiteinge ZenoTasedro: let's chat. i can find some time this week to throw into that project
20:50 whiteinge i think it'll be pretty cool to have available
20:50 ingwaem ZenoTasedro: whiteinge is the man when it comes to the api and ui….you're in good hands.
20:50 sashka_ua UtahDave: okay. let me work on it some time, to polish and then release
20:50 UtahDave cool!
20:50 ZenoTasedro yeah i know he's a man after my own heart
20:51 ZenoTasedro as salt-api uses cherrypy
20:51 ZenoTasedro and i very much appreciate cherrypy
20:51 ZenoTasedro i know it also has the other single rest interface as well
20:51 ZenoTasedro simple*
20:52 ingwaem cherrypy worked nicely for me too…I stuck with the recommended routes and it works beautifully
20:55 jalbretsen UtahDave: can you tell me or link me to an easy way to point to files that would be common to all environments (say prod, stage, dev, whatever).  With 0.15.1, my hack no longer works (salt://../files/software/scripts/dostuff.sh)
20:57 jeffmendoza joined #salt
20:58 felskrone later...
20:58 kvbik joined #salt
20:59 DredTiger joined #salt
20:59 jalbretsen oh.... maybe I can use a directory overlay....
21:00 UtahDave jalbretsen: ah, yeah. we fixed that bug in 0.15.1   :)
21:00 jalbretsen I was using that bug!  ;)
21:01 UtahDave lol
21:01 UtahDave you can use your fileroots to put common files in all your environments.  Let me find the doc
21:01 ttomkinson joined #salt
21:02 jalbretsen ya, I found it
21:02 UtahDave sashka_ua: Let me know when you're ready. I'll create git repos for you
21:02 jalbretsen after I asked of course
21:02 UtahDave of course!   :)
21:02 jalbretsen http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/file_server/file_roots.html
21:05 jpadilla joined #salt
21:12 it_dude joined #salt
21:17 sebgoa_ joined #salt
21:23 Corey luminous: That's not a half bad idea.
21:24 pcarrier_ joined #salt
21:24 copec joined #salt
21:24 luminous yea, I think (for what I understand about what you're trying to do) that works around a few issues and simplifies the setup
21:25 Corey luminous: Just seems like an ugly hack.
21:25 Corey peer won't work for this, because it's flaky and unreliable.
21:27 luminous Corey:  you want a list of minions the master is responsible for, right? not who ever is available
21:27 luminous if so, a module on master/minion seems sensible to me
21:32 alekibango joined #salt
21:33 schvin_ kj/win 4
21:33 schvin_ doh
21:35 Ryan_Lane joined #salt
21:37 bemehow joined #salt
21:37 krissaxton left #salt
21:37 giantlock joined #salt
21:43 batnerd joined #salt
21:45 Ryan_Lane joined #salt
21:49 jpadilla joined #salt
21:49 bhosmer joined #salt
21:49 auser joined #salt
21:56 oliv_mc joined #salt
21:56 ingwaem is there a way to clear out the job list?
22:00 auser joined #salt
22:02 efixit joined #salt
22:09 batnerd left #salt
22:14 ttomkinson joined #salt
22:14 scooby2 joined #salt
22:19 novel1 joined #salt
22:19 kermit joined #salt
22:22 cweidenkeller joined #salt
22:23 bemehow joined #salt
22:27 ahammond 15.3? Exciting! :)
22:32 Corey I'm seeing timeouts calling publish.publish.
22:32 ahammond Corey: what version are you running?
22:33 oliv_mc joined #salt
22:34 Corey ahammond: 0.15.1 across the board.
22:34 Deece joined #salt
22:34 ahammond Corey: that's a known bug and fixed in .3
22:34 mikedawson joined #salt
22:34 Deece left #salt
22:34 Corey ahammond: Ooh...
22:34 felixhummel joined #salt
22:35 Corey brb destroying everything. :-D
22:35 ahammond (actually, there were 3 minor issues that together made publish.publish suck)
22:35 Corey ahammond: Are you at SaltStack?
22:36 Katafalk_ joined #salt
22:38 ahammond Corey: no, but I worked with them to find those bugs.
22:39 UtahDave ingwaem: No, I don't think so. You can clear out your  /var/cache/salt/master/jobs/ directory, though
22:39 UtahDave Corey: Yeah, publish.publish should be a lot more stable now.
22:40 ahammond Corey: https://github.com/SmartReceipt/salt_iptables is the state that drove the debugging. We've also got a hosts state that's pretty darn sweet. :)
22:40 UtahDave The salt mine is great if it's ok for the data to be slightly stale. I think the mine updates every hour by default
22:43 ahammond UtahDave: I'm thinking about switching over to salt mine for hosts / iptables stuff. Is there a way I can trigger a mine update?
22:44 UtahDave Yeah, I think so.  http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/modules/all/salt.modules.mine.html#salt.modules.mine.update
22:44 UtahDave mine.update
22:44 UtahDave sorry:    salt '*' mine.update
22:46 ahammond UtahDave: perfect!
22:47 jalbretsen bah, bug 5154 just bit me I think
22:47 adotbrown joined #salt
22:49 Corey ahammond: Hah, SmartReceipt?
22:50 ahammond Corey: yup, that's the company I work for.
22:50 Corey ahammond: I was Expensify for a year.
22:50 Corey :-)
22:50 Corey "Thanks for cluttering up the receipts we have to OCR!"
22:50 auser joined #salt
22:51 ahammond Corey: hey, you're welcome! You guys shoulda called us, we're moving to put QR codes on the receipts to expose the data via API. :)
22:52 aranhoide joined #salt
22:52 Corey ahammond: Not my problem at all anymore. :-D
22:53 nkuttler joined #salt
22:54 jacksontj joined #salt
22:57 DredTiger joined #salt
22:57 armonge left #salt
22:57 fidrox joined #salt
22:59 jacksontj joined #salt
22:59 chesty i used debconf.set to turn off popularity-contest, which I believe set the value in the database OK. but /etc/popularity-contest still doesn't exists, so I have to run dpkg-reconfigure manually?
23:03 Corey basepi: Hmm, what's the syntax to salt via CLI for that? salt 'node' pkg.install salt-minion --fromrepo=epel-testing fails.
23:04 karlp I just did salt node pkg.refresh_db && pkf.upgrade.
23:04 karlp take it from whatever source it already had.
23:04 Corey karlp: Yeah, that... doesn't work due to EPEL's two week hold.
23:04 karlp yeah, well, your problem for using epel ;)
23:04 Corey *normally* I want to wait until it hits gold, but in this case it fixes a bug. :-)
23:04 Corey karlp: I blame herlo!
23:06 Corey basepi: OOOH.
23:06 Corey pkg.install fromrepo=epel-testing salt-minion
23:09 jlund Let's try this one more time :)  Is there a place where I can find the release notes for 0.15.3? I'm curious to know what changed and what was fixed since 0.15.1.
23:10 basepi Corey: Yep, that's what I was going to suggest.  It worked?
23:10 Corey basepi: Like a charm.
23:10 basepi Corey: Woot!
23:10 Corey basepi: Thanks, will update and close the issue.
23:10 basepi Cool.  =)
23:15 jlund left #salt
23:16 melinath joined #salt
23:18 a joined #salt
23:19 cxz joined #salt
23:21 Corey Still seeing publish.publish timeouts. Hmm.
23:21 cxz You shall continue to see them
23:21 cxz forevermore
23:21 Corey Yeah, that makes me want to consider Ansible for this narrow use case.
23:22 cxz Corey: are you one of the salt devs?
23:22 Corey cxz: I'm the Ubuntu packager at the moment.
23:22 cxz ah ok
23:23 Corey I also complain a lot.
23:23 auser lol, Corey me too
23:24 cxz hey it's auser
23:24 cxz the best kind of user
23:24 auser so it is
23:24 auser huzzah
23:24 Corey Fewer the better, single user is better than multi. :-D
23:25 auser well, it's easier, at least
23:30 ahammond Corey: do you also package the salt-cloud stuff?
23:30 Corey ahammond: Good lord no.
23:31 FreeSpencer joined #salt
23:31 ahammond Corey: I'm only asking because the ubuntu packages for salt-cloud are almost 2 months behind the current release.
23:31 ahammond (or I'm being stupid and missing something)
23:31 Corey *sigh* Why do I feel like someone's tying to give me another impossible job? :-)
23:31 ZenoTasedro ahammond: pip install salt-cloud :p
23:32 ahammond ZenoTasedro: yeah… I've done that on occasion, but the point of running in production is to treat it like production… grumble.
23:32 ZenoTasedro ah, i suppose you may have to do it yourself then :\
23:32 ZenoTasedro you could become the new maintainer!
23:34 auser that smells automation
23:37 Corey ahammond: I can be bribed!
23:38 KyleG Corey: But not for cheap ;)
23:38 KyleG <- will work 4 tacos
23:40 adotbrown joined #salt
23:40 melinath joined #salt
23:40 DanGarthwaite joined #salt
23:41 kmwhite joined #salt
23:42 jacksontj joined #salt
23:55 efixit joined #salt

| Channels | #salt index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary