Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #salt, 2014-01-03

| Channels | #salt index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 luminous thanks forresta torrancew and tim!
00:01 forresta yea np, if you write something awesome share it with us :P
00:02 jacksontj joined #salt
00:05 rojem joined #salt
00:13 Guest64230 joined #salt
00:15 srijan4 joined #salt
00:17 jefferai joined #salt
00:19 Kraln joined #salt
00:26 timoguin joined #salt
00:35 kedo39 joined #salt
00:38 gamingrobot joined #salt
00:38 vu joined #salt
00:38 srijan4 joined #salt
00:39 kedo39 hello! i didn't see a salt formula for ddclient, so I made one: https://github.com/kennydo/salt-ddclient-formula
00:41 bhosmer_ joined #salt
00:41 forresta joined #salt
00:43 Linz joined #salt
00:43 terminalmage kedo39: I'll create a blank formula repo for you, and you can submit a pull req
00:46 copelco__ joined #salt
00:46 kedo39 ok, cool
00:48 forresta kedo39, which formula?
00:49 kedo39 forresta: https://github.com/kennydo/salt-ddclient-formula
00:49 forresta oh cool
00:50 taion809 joined #salt
00:52 terminalmage kedo39: https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/ddclient-formula
00:53 terminalmage kedo39: you can fork that, and submit a pull request
00:53 kedo39 ok!
00:53 terminalmage kedo39: thanks for contributing!
00:57 terminalmage ok, I'm out for the day.
00:59 Linz_ joined #salt
00:59 BenCoinanke joined #salt
01:00 fllr joined #salt
01:10 Nazca joined #salt
01:12 AdamSewell joined #salt
01:19 Gifflen joined #salt
01:24 kedo39 if anyone at saltstack is still on, I have a question about style for formulas
01:24 kedo39 specifically, about the sentence from the docs "Each Formula is intended to be immediately usable with sane defaults without any additional configuration. "
01:24 kedo39 for my project, i'm using the samba formula
01:25 kedo39 but the smb.conf file included with the formula doesn't apply to me
01:25 kedo39 so I forked it and changed it so that the smb.conf is generated from pillar
01:25 xzarth joined #salt
01:25 kedo39 and the "sane default" part is from the pillar.example file
01:25 kedo39 is this the right way to go about doing things?
01:26 kedo39 or should each user of the samba formula fork it and directly modify their own smb.conf?
01:26 kedo39 (for reference, here's my diff https://github.com/kennydo/salt-samba-formula/compare/customconfig )
01:27 mgw joined #salt
01:30 KyleG joined #salt
01:30 KyleG joined #salt
01:40 cachedout joined #salt
01:48 fllr joined #salt
01:49 Ryan_Lane joined #salt
01:52 [vaelen] joined #salt
01:52 jalbretsen joined #salt
01:55 teepark joined #salt
01:56 jtrucks joined #salt
01:56 faulkner joined #salt
01:56 aj0 joined #salt
01:59 basepi joined #salt
02:01 bdf joined #salt
02:01 torrancew joined #salt
02:01 jtrucks_ joined #salt
02:07 oz_akan_ joined #salt
02:07 jtrucks joined #salt
02:08 oz_akan__ joined #salt
02:10 mgw joined #salt
02:13 jtrucks joined #salt
02:13 faulkner joined #salt
02:14 rojem joined #salt
02:14 octarine joined #salt
02:15 rojem joined #salt
02:18 jtrucks_ joined #salt
02:24 jtrucks joined #salt
02:29 aj0 joined #salt
02:30 jtrucks joined #salt
02:33 bdf joined #salt
02:35 higgs001 joined #salt
02:36 jtrucks joined #salt
02:37 APLU joined #salt
02:42 jtrucks joined #salt
02:45 favadi joined #salt
02:48 jtrucks joined #salt
02:54 holys joined #salt
02:54 jtrucks joined #salt
02:56 xl1 joined #salt
02:57 higgs001 joined #salt
02:58 xinkeT joined #salt
02:59 xinkeT joined #salt
03:03 xl1 joined #salt
03:19 ioni joined #salt
03:19 psyl0n joined #salt
03:19 futurisk joined #salt
03:21 Daviey joined #salt
03:24 aj0 joined #salt
03:27 sfvivek joined #salt
03:29 sgviking joined #salt
03:33 jfzhu_us joined #salt
03:39 ravibhure joined #salt
03:39 wkf_ joined #salt
03:41 ckao joined #salt
03:48 sine_nitore joined #salt
03:51 timoguin joined #salt
04:01 cryptomnesia joined #salt
04:01 startling joined #salt
04:04 Kraln joined #salt
04:13 erick joined #salt
04:15 Guest29213 hi everyone
04:15 kedo39 hi!
04:15 Guest29213 i'am new in this channel and i have a question
04:17 Guest29213 i want to use a automated system and i seen Salt, i'am new with Git, VPS hosting like digitalocean, i use Ubuntu, Tomcat, Java and Spring what do you suggest me?
04:17 kedo39 ok. i just started using salt myself, but i might be able to help
04:17 Guest29213 a good tutorial link?
04:17 kedo39 i found http://docs.saltstack.com/topics/tutorials/states_pt1.html pretty helpful
04:17 kedo39 there's 4 parts in total
04:18 kedo39 so far, i've just been referencing http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/states/all/index.html and testing states out using a virtual machine
04:18 Guest29213 but quick question, does salt can create a build from a git repository and drop it on my server?
04:18 kedo39 (so I can snapshot and revert)
04:18 kedo39 as in, build a java project and then move it onto your vps?
04:19 Guest29213 yeah a building a java project
04:19 Guest29213 sorry for my english, yes i want to build from my java project stored in a git repository and move it to my VPS
04:20 kedo39 unfortunately, i don't know enough to help you with that :(
04:21 Guest29213 ha ok that's fine i'll look at your link thank you
04:21 kedo39 maybe you could email the mailing list or ask again later
04:21 kedo39 no problem! good luck
04:22 danielbachhuber joined #salt
04:22 jfzhu_us Guest29213: I am confused as why you would want to use salt over a dedicated build software like jenkins.
04:26 Guest29213 well i don't know jenkins so i can't answer, i started to search and i seen a lot of results for salt, jenkins, puppet, chef... When i look to jenkins i have a feeling that is old and maybe not active?
04:27 Guest29213 does salt replace jenkins? i guess no with your question
04:28 holys joined #salt
04:28 startling Guest29213: not really.
04:29 startling Guest29213: jenkins builds software for you in a clean environment.
04:29 startling Guest29213, salt is for provisioning machines.
04:29 Guest29213 ha ok
04:29 Guest29213 hum
04:30 startling Guest29213: I think perhaps you want something like jenkins, yeah.
04:30 Guest29213 can you suggest me what to do if i give you my scenario i want to do?
04:30 jfzhu_us Guest29213: starling got to the point I was trying to point out before I did =P but yea I think you are thinking of two different problems not just single a one
04:30 Guest29213 ha ok i see
04:31 jfzhu_us Guest29213: I am personally interested in hearing your problem so i'll see what I can suggest.
04:32 timoguin salt can be used just fine for CI because it's built to be that flexible.
04:32 timoguin but many use dedicated build systems
04:32 timoguin jenkins, travis, etc.
04:32 timoguin i'm trying out bamboo myself
04:33 startling travis isn't really for building things. it's more for finding build errors.
04:33 startling I don't know about the other ones.
04:34 Guest29213 let me explain you what i want to do, i want to build an application in Java using Spring, MongoDB, bootstrap, angularjs, actually it runs in a VPS (DigitalOcean) and i maintain my code with git repository (hosted with bitbucket)
04:34 startling Guest29213: OK.
04:34 Guest29213 but actually i build my project with Eclipse and transfer it with sftp to my server, but i want to change that, what you suggest me?
04:38 jfzhu_us Guest29213: May I ask what is difficult about your current setup?
04:40 Guest29213 that's a manual setup
04:40 Guest29213 i want something more automated i guess
04:41 Guest29213 and i'am bored i want to try something new to learn haha
04:42 jfzhu_us Guest29213: Oh lol okay. I was worried that you were over-complicating your setup.
04:43 Kraln joined #salt
04:44 timoguin Guest29213, step one is a post-commit hook of some sort on Github
04:44 jfzhu_us Guest29213: The reason I asked what was the complicated part of your setup is because it wasn't clear to me whether the build process was actually annoying to you (because its complicated) or whether copying all the binaries/scripts to your server was annoying since each component had to go into a unique different area.
04:44 timoguin one thing i'm wanting to test out is using github or bitbucket POST hooks to send events to a listener of some sort
04:44 timoguin that will then fire off a salt event that could kick off a build and complete the remaining orchestration
04:45 thomaso left #salt
04:45 Guest29213 timoguin: i'am not sure how to that i need to create a build from my project first?
04:46 timoguin you'd probably need to write your own salt module and/or state
04:47 timoguin or you could look into a build system like jenkins, or bamboo for something you pay for
04:47 Guest29213 jfzhu_us: and nah it's very not complicated no manipulation except transfering my war file (build from my eclipse java source) using sftp to my vps
04:48 Guest29213 so Salt can build from java source my war file?
04:48 jfzhu_us Guest29213: Ah okay then, yea, since the actual configuration of the server is relatively simple than I would recommend you folllow timoguin's advice and see how you can automate the build using either salt or preferably using a dedicated build software
04:49 timoguin Guest29213, not out of the box. but it's capable, yes.
04:49 timoguin essentially anything that can be automated via command line or API, salt can be made to execute it however necessary
04:50 timoguin checking out the source, running the build commands, copying the files to the appropriate servers, etc.
04:50 jfzhu_us Guest29213: A dedicated build server is typically preferred for builds though since it has features such as auto build after commit, auto test after build, etc. If you used salt, you would have to build those features yourself.
04:50 timoguin what jfzhu_us said
04:52 Guest29213 ha ok, so the build software can be kinda transparent and no additional step? No need to login in a Jenkins panel (for example) and build my software?
04:53 Guest29213 which build software do you suggest me? Except Jenkins, i don't know why i have a feeling with Jenkins that it's too big for what i want to do, just a little build from source??
04:53 timoguin Guest29213, yea, Bitbucket has build-in post-commit hooks for Jenkins, specifically
04:54 Guest29213 haa that's nice that
04:59 Guest29213 so if i resume my scenario should be: 1- Doing some changes in my application and commit it to my git repository 2- Configure Jenkins for after my commit, it gonna build my WAR file from my source 3- Jenkins will transfer my WAR file to my VPS how?
05:01 thrashr888 joined #salt
05:02 timoguin https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Plugins#Plugins-Artifactuploaders
05:02 timoguin can be done many ways, maybe FTP or SSH transfer will suit your needs
05:03 Guest29213 haa ok interesting
05:05 Guest29213 so i don't really need Salt, i have difficulties to understand why i should use Salt in my scenario?
05:05 Guest29213 Maybe i don't really need Salt?
05:05 timoguin maybe you shouldn't. ;-)
05:05 Linz joined #salt
05:06 Guest29213 ok great, thanks for help itM's appreciated and jfzhu_us thanks also it'S appreciated ;)
05:06 timoguin np
05:07 jfzhu_us jfzhu_us: Thanks for sharing your problem. It was really interesting.
05:07 oz_akan_ joined #salt
05:08 anuvrat joined #salt
05:09 forresta man timoguin, I think you might have me beat latey for time spent in the IRC :P
05:09 timoguin it's the snow
05:09 timoguin and talk prep. :-P
05:09 forresta lol
05:13 forresta which talk are you giving timoguin?
05:13 forresta I don't remember if I asked, bad memory fail :\
05:13 timoguin 11:00 AM at http://pytennessee.org/schedule/
05:14 forresta oh right right
05:14 forresta are you going to pycon?
05:15 Ryan_Lane joined #salt
05:15 timoguin not unless my employer decides to pay for it
05:16 timoguin would love to though
05:16 forresta ahh ok, are you based in tennessee?
05:16 rojem joined #salt
05:16 timoguin yea
05:21 forrest_ joined #salt
05:23 Hefeweizen joined #salt
05:24 sirtaj joined #salt
05:25 Jarus joined #salt
05:26 goncalo joined #salt
05:27 analogbyte joined #salt
05:29 kamyl joined #salt
05:31 sfvivek joined #salt
05:32 goncalo joined #salt
05:33 Jarus joined #salt
05:38 stewpot joined #salt
05:44 sfvivek2 joined #salt
05:52 Nexpro1 joined #salt
05:57 startling joined #salt
06:03 holys joined #salt
06:05 bhosmer_ joined #salt
06:06 MTecknology joined #salt
06:08 oz_akan_ joined #salt
06:17 fllr joined #salt
06:34 fllr joined #salt
06:44 fllr joined #salt
06:47 fllr joined #salt
06:49 fllr joined #salt
06:50 nebuchadnezzar joined #salt
06:55 cyberbob joined #salt
06:56 cyberbob joined #salt
07:05 fllr joined #salt
07:05 cyberbob joined #salt
07:06 cyberbob joined #salt
07:07 cyberbob joined #salt
07:07 cyberbob joined #salt
07:07 fllr joined #salt
07:11 cyberbob joined #salt
07:12 cyberbob joined #salt
07:12 cyberbob joined #salt
07:13 cyberbob joined #salt
07:14 cyberbob joined #salt
07:14 cyberbob joined #salt
07:19 TomasNunez joined #salt
07:23 cyberbob joined #salt
07:23 cyberbob joined #salt
07:24 cyberbob joined #salt
07:25 rmt joined #salt
07:27 redmin joined #salt
07:34 fllr joined #salt
07:35 _fllr_ joined #salt
07:37 fllr joined #salt
07:45 druonysus joined #salt
07:54 bhosmer_ joined #salt
07:59 anuvrat joined #salt
08:10 oz_akan_ joined #salt
08:11 sroegner joined #salt
08:12 harobed_ joined #salt
08:13 harobed_ joined #salt
08:19 helminthe joined #salt
08:24 nineteeneightd joined #salt
08:25 deepakmdass joined #salt
08:27 redmin joined #salt
08:28 jms2 joined #salt
08:29 slav0nic joined #salt
08:29 slav0nic joined #salt
08:33 Shenril joined #salt
08:37 jcsp1 joined #salt
09:07 gasbakid joined #salt
09:07 fllr joined #salt
09:11 oz_akan_ joined #salt
09:16 gasbakid_ joined #salt
09:18 shenril1 joined #salt
09:21 deepakmdass joined #salt
09:27 sgviking joined #salt
09:28 redmin joined #salt
09:29 rcb joined #salt
09:35 nebuchadnezzar joined #salt
09:39 stian joined #salt
09:41 Shenril joined #salt
09:51 thoht hi
09:52 thoht i installed python-psutils 0.6 but salt '*' ps.pgrep httpd full=true is still returnng "ps.pgrep" is not available
09:52 thoht what did i miss ?
09:54 cym3try joined #salt
09:58 redmin joined #salt
09:59 taion809 joined #salt
10:00 sroegner joined #salt
10:00 zooz joined #salt
10:07 fllr joined #salt
10:11 martoss joined #salt
10:13 thoht ok i saw the issue
10:13 oz_akan_ joined #salt
10:13 thoht on /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/salt/modules/ps.py there is a check on python version :  if sys.version_info[0] == 2 and sys.version_info[1] < 7:
10:13 thoht if i changed 7 by 6, it works !!!!
10:14 thoht it is a bad version check :(
10:14 munhitsu joined #salt
10:14 munhitsu Hi guys, reg salt-cloud, why does it require to be run with root requirements?
10:15 munhitsu When using it do you bootstrap first salt-cloud server + salt-master as one and than orchestrate from it?
10:15 munhitsu or do you tend to bootstrap all from your own dev machine
10:16 munhitsu salt-ssh enables nice use case to edit receipts on dev host and push them "quickly" to specific host
10:19 harobed_ joined #salt
10:25 jakubek joined #salt
10:26 harobed_ joined #salt
10:26 eliasp_ joined #salt
10:28 jakubek hello, why this http://pastebin.com/z4erDmPK is not working? when im doing grain.items i see proper id so it should work
10:34 sjohn3 joined #salt
10:38 MrTango joined #salt
10:53 redmin joined #salt
10:53 viq Bah, sure, there are salt formulas for nginx... For ubuntu only.
10:57 kedo39 the nginx-formula seems like it's intended for a very specific user
10:58 jakubek anyone is using pillar to store iptables rules? i need to create template (jinja) for my clients.I dont want to put them into the /srv/salt because after that minion can read templates of other clients. how to prevent this?
11:02 viq jakubek: worst case you can use http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/states/all/salt.states.file.html#salt.states.file.managed with contents_pillar
11:04 viq kedo39: yeah... I am right now looking at the formulas people have for gitlab, and pretty much all of them reference nginx
11:04 viq jakubek: other than that, I haven't really looked into it so don't have an answer
11:04 jakubek viq: what is the best solution? ;-)
11:04 jakubek ah ok
11:05 viq jakubek: personally, I am toying with the thought of harnessing shorewall for this, but I have no idea yet whether it's right approach
11:06 jakubek ok :-)
11:06 jakubek thanks!
11:07 jakubek I will try to use contents_pillar but it will be hard :)
11:07 jakubek imo
11:07 fllr joined #salt
11:08 viq You could probably abstract that as well, have say a redirect, pass and deny 'trees' in pillar, and loop over them and generate data from that... But that will take some doing as well
11:09 jakubek yes i was trying to do some generic
11:09 jakubek but it is very hard
11:09 jakubek whe you have many clients
11:09 jakubek with different firewalls
11:10 jakubek *sorry for pressing enter*
11:10 diegows joined #salt
11:14 oz_akan_ joined #salt
11:14 cym3try_ joined #salt
11:16 joehoyle joined #salt
11:17 viq Yeah, it's not obvious, somewhat I was thinking of abstracting this with shorewall
11:17 viq s/I was/why I was/
11:18 jakubek But maybe there is some way to hide some config files (only selected server can read them)?
11:19 viq That's pillars.
11:20 viq Maybe you could play with syndics, have each client's machines connect to a separate master (syndic), and have those report to a central master.... But that increases complexity by an order of magnitude, I think.
11:21 william_20112 joined #salt
11:22 jakubek viq: it's too complicated :-) ill will try to play with iptables in pillars :-)
11:22 jakubek time will tell if this was a good way :)
11:24 viq jakubek: yeah. I found vagrant good for playing with this stuff ;)
11:24 psyl0n joined #salt
11:24 viq https://github.com/viq/cm-lab-salt
11:25 viq But yeah, TIMTOWTDI is a bit of a pain ;)
11:32 pengunix joined #salt
11:35 unixpenguin joined #salt
11:43 ggoZ joined #salt
11:48 sroegner joined #salt
11:53 redmin joined #salt
12:05 martoss joined #salt
12:07 fllr joined #salt
12:08 rojem joined #salt
12:17 jakubek any easy way to use regex in {% if 'jakub' in grains['id'] %} ?
12:21 jms2 joined #salt
12:26 scalability-junk joined #salt
12:29 anuvrat joined #salt
12:38 deepakmdass joined #salt
12:41 gadams999 joined #salt
12:43 martoss joined #salt
12:50 jcsp joined #salt
12:51 viq jakubek: regex?
12:52 jfzhu_us joined #salt
12:52 jakubek viq: but how?
12:53 jakubek im always using re. but here i don't know how to use it
12:54 redmin joined #salt
12:56 viq jakubek: on the other hand, you have other templating languages available, including plain python
13:01 unixpenguin joined #salt
13:03 jakubek viq: but im doing this if statement in pillar
13:04 jakubek if id is like use this variable if not use other
13:07 fllr joined #salt
13:12 cb joined #salt
13:13 harobed joined #salt
13:15 kadel joined #salt
13:18 pcarrier joined #salt
13:18 pcarrier joined #salt
13:19 bhosmer_ joined #salt
13:25 rmt joined #salt
13:25 jakubek can i import re into pillar or something to use regex?
13:26 psyl0n joined #salt
13:28 fllr joined #salt
13:33 goodwill joined #salt
13:34 quickdry21 joined #salt
13:35 gasbakid joined #salt
13:37 fllr joined #salt
13:37 sroegner joined #salt
13:38 th3reverend joined #salt
13:38 th3reverend left #salt
13:47 fllr joined #salt
13:48 joehoyle joined #salt
13:48 jcsp joined #salt
13:51 Gifflen joined #salt
13:52 ekarlso joined #salt
13:54 redmin joined #salt
13:55 oz_akan_ joined #salt
13:55 brianhicks joined #salt
13:56 fllr joined #salt
14:01 mgw joined #salt
14:03 psyl0n joined #salt
14:05 mgw1 joined #salt
14:05 fllr joined #salt
14:06 mgw1 joined #salt
14:06 sroegner joined #salt
14:07 mgw joined #salt
14:07 fllr joined #salt
14:08 mgw1 joined #salt
14:09 jcsp joined #salt
14:09 _fllr_ joined #salt
14:10 anuvrat joined #salt
14:11 _fllr_ joined #salt
14:12 _fllr_ joined #salt
14:12 Gifflen joined #salt
14:12 blarghmatey joined #salt
14:13 blarghmatey left #salt
14:13 PoLuX joined #salt
14:14 fllr joined #salt
14:14 juicer2 joined #salt
14:14 racooper joined #salt
14:17 harobed joined #salt
14:18 harobed joined #salt
14:23 toastedpenguin joined #salt
14:23 danielbachhuber joined #salt
14:23 andresr joined #salt
14:26 fllr joined #salt
14:27 fllr joined #salt
14:29 timoguin joined #salt
14:38 aleszoulek joined #salt
14:39 patrek jakubek, I'm doing something similar, putting roles/ports in pillar, and using loops and if in my jinja file for iptables
14:41 vejdmn joined #salt
14:42 Ahlee anybody already written a pillar for pulling network interface (bond, ip, bond type, bond members)?
14:49 nahamu so I see that a 2014.1 branch has been created. Is there a timeline for release at this point?
14:52 foxx joined #salt
14:53 nahamu Ah, mailing list says it's an RC already: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/salt-users/-19GdYH-wcw
14:53 timoguin Ahlee, might be better to use grains for that: grains.get ip_interfaces
14:53 timoguin actually that doesn't give all the info you're wanting
14:54 timoguin network.interfaces does though
14:54 timoguin which you should be able to call in a state file
14:58 nahamu http://www.shalman.org/salt/salt-2014.1.0rc1.solaris-2_11-i86pc_64bit.zip <- Esky build for SmartOS
15:00 gadams999 would it be better to bang against the Hydrogen RC instead of dev for us salt+salt-cloud users?
15:01 nahamu I think a bunch of the folks out in Utah aren't online yet...
15:01 nahamu And many of them would be best suited to answer your question, gadams999.
15:01 Ahlee timoguin: grains are for items that don't change
15:01 gadams999 slackers..... :) I'll just hang out and see what chatter comes about.
15:02 Ahlee network interfaces can change
15:02 timoguin ip_interfaces is one of those built-in grains already
15:02 timoguin which can change, yes
15:02 timoguin but the grain will still always be there for reading
15:02 wunki joined #salt
15:02 nahamu gadams999: though the mailing list post suggests that the answer is yes.
15:03 Ahlee i was under hte impression grains were loaded into memory at minion start
15:03 pass_by_value joined #salt
15:03 timoguin Ahlee, I think they are. I'm not sure how it handles grains like that though.
15:03 nahamu Teknix: have you started playing with Salt on SmartOS yet?
15:03 Ahlee k, i'll dig into the code
15:03 timoguin Like, if the ip changes, does the minion have to be restarted for the grains to pick up on it
15:04 timoguin I dunno
15:04 Ahlee yeah, i'm more interested if i ifenslave bond0 over to eth2 or similar
15:04 Ahlee but, that's also a good point
15:04 Teknix nahamu: playing? I use it to manage a lot of zones...
15:04 favadi joined #salt
15:06 Teknix and I use it on kvm instances running under SmartOS also
15:06 bhosmer_ joined #salt
15:07 fllr joined #salt
15:08 cym3try joined #salt
15:09 nahamu Teknix: glad to hear it's working for you.
15:09 nahamu If you have some testing zones, I've spun a 2014.1.0-rc1 esky build.
15:11 aj0 joined #salt
15:13 harobed joined #salt
15:13 nahamu Teknix: which version are you running in production?
15:13 Teknix currently 0.17.2
15:14 harobed joined #salt
15:21 viq jakubek: I'm not sure you can do that in pillar itself, but you can do regex matching in top.sls for pillars, giving different pillars to different machines
15:24 dijit one of you folks found me on twitter.
15:24 dijit *suspicious*
15:29 gadams9991 joined #salt
15:33 mgw joined #salt
15:35 sfvivek joined #salt
15:36 jakubek viq: i already did that, it was fastest solution ;-)
15:37 fllr joined #salt
15:38 nahamu Teknix: ah, the last one for which I built a tarball.
15:38 nahamu Do you by any chance have any notes on what you had to do to get it all working satisfactorily?
15:38 DerekRBN joined #salt
15:38 nahamu I'd love to clean it up to work as nicely as possible.
15:38 forresta joined #salt
15:39 Teknix no, but when I test out the latest one I can re-trace my steps and write up something
15:40 harobed_ joined #salt
15:42 nahamu Do you want/need me to build you a tarball with all the accoutrements or are you good with the 0.17.2 tarball and the 2014.1.1 esky zip?
15:42 Teknix fine for now
15:43 tdilly joined #salt
15:44 nahamu Cool.
15:44 tdilly Do I need anything on the minion besides the setup exe for installing salt on windows (Python, pip, etc)
15:45 timoguin tdilly, nope
15:45 timoguin it has all the deps
15:45 tdilly timoguin: thanks
15:46 nahamu Though perhaps today is the day for updating my build process to also build the tarball in addition to the zip file. (And perhaps get the SMF manifests for the esky version up into the salt git repo)
15:46 gasbakid joined #salt
15:47 jakubek (pillar['xnodes']+pillar['znodes']).iteritems()
15:47 jakubek is this possible?
15:49 AdamSewell joined #salt
15:51 kermit joined #salt
15:53 gadams999 joined #salt
15:54 abe_music joined #salt
15:55 forresta jakubek, I haven't tried something like that, but it seems like it should work, did it error out on you?
15:57 diegows joined #salt
16:01 schristensen joined #salt
16:01 seanz joined #salt
16:03 jakubek forresta: yes, i have tested more options but they are also not working :(
16:03 forresta ok, so I'd say start by iterating over only a single item in your pillar
16:03 blee joined #salt
16:03 forresta and confirm that first one returns
16:03 forresta then interate over the other, confirm that returns as expected
16:03 forresta then start trying to mash them together
16:06 cachedout joined #salt
16:06 jcsp1 joined #salt
16:06 jakubek forresta: separateley they are working fine
16:07 jakubek forresta: TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'dict' and 'dict', after set hosts = pillar['ha_nodes'] + pillar['haprx_app_servers']
16:07 opapo joined #salt
16:09 forresta ok, so it's trying to mash them together before you pull the item
16:10 forresta are you trying to pull xnodes[0] + ynodes[0], xnodes[1] + ynodes[1] ?
16:10 forresta I guess the better question, what are you trying to accomplish
16:11 timoguin foo = dict(pillar['xnodes'].items() + pillar['znodes'])
16:11 timoguin maybe you can join them like tha?
16:11 timoguin and then iterate
16:11 timoguin errr with .items() on the second one too
16:12 jakubek timoguin: i was trying to dothat but also not working :/
16:12 timoguin :(
16:13 elfixit joined #salt
16:14 jakubek timoguin: {% set hosts = dict(pillar['ha_nodes'].items() + pillar['haprx_app_servers'].items()) %} gave TypeError: <lambda>() takes exactly 0 arguments (1 given)
16:15 forresta as ghetto as it is, did you try for x in pillar['xnodes'].iteritems() and y in pillar['ynodes'].iteritems() ?
16:16 forresta I think we should start again at what it is you're trying to accomplish
16:17 forresta kiorky are you around?
16:17 jakubek forresta: im trying to sum those two pillars and print only uniq records :-)
16:18 forresta ahhh I see, so those could have the same machine in the list
16:18 jakubek yes
16:20 marsdominion joined #salt
16:21 forresta could you sum the lists then only take the uniq items?
16:21 forresta seems pretty hacky
16:22 ravibhure joined #salt
16:22 forresta is the pillar data not set by you?
16:22 forresta just seems 'wrong' to have to do so much work to get the pillar data you need, I feel like there should be an easier way we are missing
16:23 jakubek forresta: i want to do this, check my pillars http://pastebin.com/cu1ePJTe
16:25 th3reverend1 joined #salt
16:25 th3reverend joined #salt
16:26 th3reverend left #salt
16:27 jakubek ok i need to go :/
16:27 jakubek thanks forresta
16:31 marsdominion joined #salt
16:32 seanz joined #salt
16:34 Gareth morning
16:36 gasbakid_ joined #salt
16:36 harobed_ joined #salt
16:37 harobed__ joined #salt
16:38 kiorky forresta: yep
16:39 forresta high five on https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/9509 kiorky!
16:39 forresta hey Gareth
16:40 kiorky forresta: yep i am on my way to setup salt jenkins to run against our fork, because we have bad regressions on some envs
16:40 forresta cool
16:40 kiorky forresta: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/9525 will be normally the last try, i hope
16:40 forresta yea I saw that one
16:44 ccase joined #salt
16:45 jalbretsen joined #salt
16:46 marsdominion joined #salt
16:48 gasbakid__ joined #salt
16:54 Marion joined #salt
16:54 UtahDave joined #salt
16:56 gasbakid__ joined #salt
16:57 Gareth forresta: howy
16:57 Gareth er howdy
16:57 aj0 joined #salt
16:58 bemehow joined #salt
17:00 KyleG joined #salt
17:00 KyleG joined #salt
17:02 mgw joined #salt
17:03 premera joined #salt
17:04 kiorky babilen: s
17:04 kiorky basepi: terminalmage urgent ping :)
17:04 kiorky can you have a look on https://github.com/saltstack/salt-bootstrap/pull/261
17:05 basepi kiorky: looking
17:05 gasbakid joined #salt
17:05 kiorky and if it is good, can we merge that
17:05 kiorky basepi: it will finally allow me to finish my jenkins job
17:05 jacksontj joined #salt
17:06 UtahDave joined #salt
17:06 basepi kiorky: it looks fine to me, but I really need to get s0undt3ch's OK on it.  i just pinged him, waiting for a reply.
17:07 basepi kiorky: in the meantime, you can easily download and modify the bootstrap script locally (or on a fork) to get your job done
17:07 kiorky basepi: nope as it is part of salt cloud stuff
17:07 kiorky basepi: i mean, what's configured on jenkins.saltstack.com, and i do not have access to this
17:08 kiorky basepi: we, personnally, use a totally different bootstrap scheme (shell+buildout based)
17:08 jacksontj joined #salt
17:09 basepi kiorky: ah, gotcha
17:09 basepi kk, we'll get it merged once i get ahold of pedro
17:10 forresta that -g option looks good to me as well, the fact you have to add that extra regex is a bit of a bummer, but seems ok
17:14 colinbits joined #salt
17:14 bemehow_ joined #salt
17:19 harobed_ joined #salt
17:20 harobed_ joined #salt
17:20 Linz joined #salt
17:23 nahamu Question about default configuration directories.
17:24 nahamu I'm trying to make the SmartOS esky build "just work" wherever you put it.
17:25 nahamu One complication is that while I can point the daemons directly at the config dir, if I only provide the example configs (effectively empty), then the pki directory always ends up in /etc/salt/pki
17:25 nahamu I'm thinking that if before I build I tweak salt/config.py I might be able to create the desired behavior (although then the commented out values in the sample config don't match what actually turns out to be the default...
17:27 nahamu I'm generating a tarball that contains salt/{bin,etc,smartos} where bin is basically the contents of the esky zip unzipped, etc is where the sample minion, master, and syntic config files go, and smartos contains the SMF manifests for installing it as a service.
17:27 Linz joined #salt
17:27 nahamu The nice thing about the esky build is that while I, by convention, place that at /opt/salt, it would work no matter where the user decides to untar it (modulo the SMF manifests and the aforementioned config file defaults).
17:28 nahamu I'm aiming for "least surprise" and would love some suggestions.
17:29 nahamu (once I have this working well I'll probably make a pull request for salt-bootstrap for requesting an esky version on SmartOS.)
17:29 giantlock joined #salt
17:29 nahamu basepi or forresta, any thoughts?
17:32 rlarkin joined #salt
17:35 basepi nahamu: so mostly what you're wrestling with is getting the configs to point to the correct directories, correct?  since -c doesn't change things like the pki directory?
17:35 pass_by_value joined #salt
17:35 nahamu basepi: correct.
17:36 nahamu and I'd like someone to be able to bootstrap a system with the esky build and ideally not have to touch the default configs at all and have the minion behave as expected
17:36 carmony UtahDave: hey, I have a SaltConf question
17:37 nahamu which I would think would include putting the minion pki directory inside that /<wherever they put it>/salt/etc directory
17:37 basepi nahamu: i can't think of an easy way to achieve that with just a tar operation. seems like we'd have to do some processing in a script or something.
17:37 UtahDave shoot, carmony
17:38 basepi nahamu: let me think about it for a few minutes
17:38 nahamu basepi: thank you. :)
17:38 UtahDave basepi: isn't there a new config file that defines the defaults now?
17:38 troyready joined #salt
17:39 carmony UtahDave: is the registration deadline still the 3rd?
17:39 basepi UtahDave: sure, but we need dynamic defaults based on the directory the esky build is untarred into
17:42 UtahDave carmony: We extended the deadline.  I'm not sure until when.
17:42 carmony UtahDave: k
17:42 UtahDave are you going to be bringing some coworkers?
17:42 amckinley joined #salt
17:46 forresta nahamu, sorry dealing with some prod issues right now, looks like basepi has you covered though.
17:46 nahamu basepi: I'm happy to jam an extra config file into place when the esky build is being installed if that will fix it.
17:46 nahamu forresta: no worries.
17:46 cdcalef- joined #salt
17:47 rlarkin Is salt-call grains.item.ipv4 expected to work or do I misunderstand the documentation? (version 17.4)
17:47 BrendanGilmore joined #salt
17:48 rlarkin Function grains.item.ipv4 is not available , I get that for every grain
17:48 carmony UtahDave: I think I'd like to bring one co-worker
17:48 basepi nahamu: I have never really dealt with esky builds, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.  But if you can, for example, run a script at install time, you could dynamically insert the correct directories into the config file based on the install directory.
17:48 carmony UtahDave: Do you have any SaltConf discounts for super awesome local people? :P
17:48 forresta group discount carmony!
17:48 basepi nahamu: sorry for the super vague answer...
17:49 basepi nahamu: i'm just not sure what's available to you in esky builds
17:49 Ahlee joined #salt
17:50 UtahDave The only discount I know of is if 4 people from the same org sign up, they each get $100 off the registration fee
17:50 pdayton joined #salt
17:50 nahamu basepi: I seem to remember noticing a place in python code that was hardcoding defaults.
17:50 nahamu I couldn't find it when I went looking just now.
17:51 nahamu I was considering tweaking that file before the build step, but I can't find the file.
17:51 UtahDave nahamu: Yeah, there's  a file that has those defaults.
17:51 higgs001 joined #salt
17:52 nahamu UtahDave: which file?
17:53 UtahDave I'm searching right now.  I only found out about it because it was tripping me up with the Windows esky builds at one point.
17:53 UtahDave until s0ndt3ch fixed it.
17:53 UtahDave I think it's syspaths.py
17:53 nahamu oh, so maybe it's fixed... I should check.
17:54 nliadm UtahDave: on a related note, did an esky job ever get put into jenkins?
17:54 rlarkin it's amazing what lack of sleep can help you miss.
17:55 UtahDave nliadm: not yet.
17:55 nliadm okay
17:55 basepi kiorky: merged:  https://github.com/saltstack/salt-bootstrap/pull/261
17:55 nliadm any chance it'll include building out of a virtualenv ?
17:55 basepi nahamu: syspaths.py is probably what you're thinking of
17:55 nahamu yeah, looks like
17:55 basepi nahamu: that said, i'm not certain whether that's fully integrated into all of our pathing decisions
17:56 basepi though i think ROOT_DIR is pretty well integrated, since we use it for windows paths
17:56 basepi so you may be able to just override the ROOT_DIR and have it "just work
17:56 basepi "
17:57 UtahDave nliadm: I'm not sure, I haven't been involved much with building that out.
17:57 nahamu right, or create the _syspath.py file
17:57 nliadm does extension_modules have a default value?
17:57 nliadm it's only referenced in the External Pillars doc and example master config
17:59 nahamu or I could be sneaky and just symlink /etc/salt to point into my own location, though that's a bit dirtier.
17:59 forresta booooooooo
17:59 nahamu I'll poke around some more. Thanks.
18:00 JasonSwindle joined #salt
18:01 tempspace Getting more excited for SaltConf every day
18:02 UtahDave tempspace++
18:02 UtahDave it's going to be great. I get excited looking at the list of Talks.
18:03 tempspace me too! I hear forrest is going to be awesome
18:04 carmony I'm working on my slides right now
18:05 fllr joined #salt
18:05 srage joined #salt
18:06 forresta tempspace, hopefully
18:06 carmony Want to see a preview of my slides? :P http://screencast.com/t/M8WTFNxr7Ts
18:07 forresta I finished the first draft of my slides, so I need to run through this weekend and see how they flow, then make some more changes, and obviously more funny pictures.
18:07 forresta carmony, are you really doing the lego thing?
18:08 srage joined #salt
18:08 forresta and are those stock images, or are you actually building that stuff, lol
18:08 nahamu more importantly, are you automating Lego construction with salt, and if so, why haven't we seen the formulas?
18:09 unixpenguin joined #salt
18:10 thrashr888 joined #salt
18:13 forresta nahamu, lego mindstorm in Salt?
18:14 kermit joined #salt
18:15 nahamu forresta: brings new meaning to "minions" when they're driving around little lego cars...
18:15 forresta that would be pretty awesome
18:15 forresta they do support python it looks like in the newer versions
18:15 nahamu UtahDave: so when you build the Windows esky, do you generate a _syspath.py file?
18:15 nahamu (and is the generation of said file documented somewhere?)
18:16 JasonSwindle Yee-haw, just got my hotel and working on my flight to SaltConf 2014 :)
18:16 forresta JasonSwindle, nice!
18:17 JasonSwindle That group rate at the Marriott was an amazing deal.
18:17 JasonSwindle I have spent more on hole-in-the-wall joints in my travels…
18:18 joehoyle_ joined #salt
18:19 bhosmer joined #salt
18:19 UtahDave nahamu: not that I know of. let me see if I can track s0undt3ch down
18:19 seanz left #salt
18:20 nahamu looking at the bootstrap it looks like that file is generated by invocation of setup.py
18:20 Gareth The Great 2014 Hunt for s0undt3ch.
18:20 harobed joined #salt
18:22 forresta just message him
18:22 forresta he's there, just not in the chat, I believe he was getting too distracted.
18:22 UtahDave nahamu: yeah, s0undt3ch said   python setup.py install --help     should show how to do it.
18:23 forresta JasonSwindle, are you talking about the 2 bed price?
18:23 forresta JasonSwindle, I spent more on a hotel when I went to atlanta, granted that was also a marriott.
18:23 aleszoulek joined #salt
18:23 forresta but it was cheaper to go there, than the group rate right across the street from the venue
18:23 JasonSwindle It was the 2 bed or 1 king deal
18:23 forresta yea
18:29 bhosmer joined #salt
18:31 rojem joined #salt
18:35 srage joined #salt
18:38 thrashr888 joined #salt
18:39 jeff joined #salt
18:39 jdenning joined #salt
18:40 jeff Greetings. Who controls salt-jenkins?
18:41 jeff It seems to have me confused with someone else. :-)
18:41 ajw0100 joined #salt
18:42 UtahDave jeff: what do you mean?
18:42 UtahDave :)
18:44 jeff It sent me a notify of "Oh no! You're suspected of having broken Salt Code Lint: http://jenkins.saltstack.com/job/salt-lint/1718/ " -- probably because jcollie's saltstack jenkins userid is "jeff" -- but that's not his freenode nickname. :-)
18:47 UtahDave jeff: ah, fun!     So you are "jeff" on github, right?
18:47 william_20111 joined #salt
18:47 forresta should just start contributing jeff, that will solve the problem
18:47 jeff forresta++ :-)
18:49 jeff UtahDave: yes, I'm jeff both here and there.
18:50 jeff I'm not sure how the bot determines irc nickname from jenkins user or commit author, and it's only been the one notice so far, but I wanted to let you know, in case it was going to start catching more folk. :-)
18:51 UtahDave OK, I'll ask and see what's going.  Thanks for letting us know
18:51 UtahDave Sorry for the noise and bother.
18:51 jeff You're welcome!
18:51 fllr joined #salt
18:53 druonysuse joined #salt
18:53 druonysuse joined #salt
18:53 _fllr_ joined #salt
18:55 ravibhure joined #salt
19:05 ekristen joined #salt
19:05 ekristen good afternoon
19:06 UtahDave hey, ekristen!
19:06 nahamu how evil would it be to create the _syspaths.py file with this as the contents (for the SmartOS esky builds): http://paste.ec/?9aa33e411b6be9df#GufPIzuqT8IpTOlDt5SxeWBjz3JYBowJL+ZA+2BOtCg=
19:07 ekristen UtahDave: trying to figure out how to create an sls file to install a debian package from a .deb instead of a repo
19:07 fllr joined #salt
19:08 nahamu since I'm in _syspaths.py Any of it can be overridden by the user by any of the usual mechanisms.
19:08 kermit joined #salt
19:08 UtahDave nahamu: I'm guessing that would be fine
19:08 nahamu but in the absence of expressed preferences by the user, everything keeps to itself in the single salt directory
19:08 nahamu UtahDave: cool, I'm going to run with that for a little bit.
19:08 UtahDave ekristen: where do you have the .deb file
19:08 seanz joined #salt
19:09 UtahDave nahamu: cool.  seems like a reasonable option
19:09 ekristen well I’m going to put it in the salt directory
19:09 seanz Easy question: How would I reference a pillar value from another pillar file?
19:09 ekristen but I’m unsure how the sls file should be organized
19:09 ekristen there doesn’t seem to be clear docs on how to do this
19:09 UtahDave ekristen: look for an example of that hear
19:09 UtahDave here:
19:09 UtahDave http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/states/all/salt.states.pkg.html#salt.states.pkg.installed
19:10 UtahDave search for "sources"
19:10 _fllr_ joined #salt
19:10 ekristen UtahDave: thanks I missed that
19:11 UtahDave no problem!
19:12 ekristen another question
19:13 ekristen could I turn my workstation into a master that controls master?
19:13 ekristen IE, put a master in my datacenter, and then use my local running master to issue commands? just curious
19:15 seanz whiteinge: Greetings, human.
19:16 munhitsu is it possible that state virtualenv.managed when having system_site_packages: True, it does not install pip within vent?
19:16 * whiteinge high-fives seanz
19:16 munhitsu venv
19:16 JasonSwindle ekristen:  check out http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/syndic.html
19:17 EugeneKay I would just SSH to the master in the datacenter..... which is a minion of itself.
19:17 UtahDave ekristen: Yeah, you could run a minion on the master. That minion could then be a slave of the master on your laptop.
19:17 UtahDave ekristen: But really, I would just ssh in to your master.
19:18 ekristen UtahDave: ok — I was just thinking of best practice, etc .. I want to version control my /srv/salt directory, well save any .deb files maybe
19:18 ekristen ssh’ing remotely to do stuff isn’t that big of a deal
19:23 kedo39 to someone with access to the saltstack-formulas org: I made a formula for fail2ban https://github.com/kennydo/salt-fail2ban-formula
19:24 whiteinge kedo39: neat
19:25 whiteinge very nice, even :)
19:25 whiteinge sec...i'll add you to the org
19:25 kedo39 thanks!
19:25 EugeneKay Something something IPv6 something sshguard or just man iptables | grep hashlimit
19:25 Ahlee so is it possible to match '*' under multiple environments?
19:25 Ahlee i.e. base: '*' and Staging: '*'
19:25 Ahlee in top.sls, sorry
19:26 whiteinge kedo39: you are added! you can transfer the repo to the org
19:26 kedo39 ok, thanks!
19:28 ekristen question if I use pkg.insalled with sources and list a deb and an rpm will it use the correct on for the right os?
19:51 gadams999 joined #salt
19:54 cym3try joined #salt
19:56 tessellare joined #salt
19:58 sroegner whiteinge: i also have a bunch of formulas in our own org: https://github.com/accumulo
19:58 whiteinge ooh
19:59 whiteinge holy cow
19:59 sroegner just haven't had time to raise hand
19:59 whiteinge that's a few formulas :)
20:00 sroegner they work pretty well but are still seeing some refactoring
20:00 sroegner do you have time to look at at least one of them and give me some feedback?
20:01 whiteinge you bet
20:01 bhosmer joined #salt
20:02 arnoldB joined #salt
20:03 sroegner with most of them i am now using a settings.sls lib file that is imported by all states in the formula _or_ others that include them
20:04 sroegner whiteinge: would like to hear what you think of the pattern
20:05 gadams999 left #salt
20:07 arnoldB hmm the *practical example* in http://docs.saltstack.com/topics/tutorials/states_pt4.html is kinda brain fuck. It looks to me that the author mixed Salt environments with nodes with node environments (nodes with different types of use in a common salt env).
20:08 sine_nitore_w joined #salt
20:09 arnoldB how can I assign a host to an environment?
20:09 arnoldB s/environment/Salt environment/
20:10 arnoldB I have tried to understand it a few times for the last months, but never succeeded
20:12 UtahDave arnoldB: Your host is assigned an environment based on where it matches in the top.sls
20:13 arnoldB UtahDave: you mean for example /srv/salt/prod/top.sls ?
20:13 UtahDave arnoldB: well, the default is   /srv/salt/top.sls
20:14 arnoldB UtahDave: I'm referring to http://docs.saltstack.com/topics/tutorials/states_pt4.html
20:15 UtahDave arnoldB: OK, yeah.  in that example the "base" environment has been set to /srv/salt/prod/top.sls
20:18 arnoldB UtahDave: which means that /srv/salt/qa/top.sls and /srv/salt/dev/top.sls actually do not exist and on top file is used for whole master?
20:18 arnoldB s/and on/and only one/
20:20 andresr joined #salt
20:21 ekristen where are the docs on how salt-minions talk to the master and visa-versa, trying to understand how the communication is secured
20:23 seba joined #salt
20:23 whiteinge sroegner: i like everything about that pattern...minus the (necessary) jinja :-)
20:24 UtahDave arnoldB: OK, so technically you can have a top.sls in each environment. Salt will combine them into one big datastructure.
20:24 whiteinge i have a web development background so I do like jinja, but man it is verbose in salt sls files :)
20:24 UtahDave arnoldB: But I'd highly recommend not doing that.
20:24 sroegner whiteinge: any alternatives?
20:24 kermit joined #salt
20:24 UtahDave arnoldB: your top.sls in the base environment can manage all the environments
20:24 forresta kedo39, nice job on the fail2ban formula, I've had one sitting in my repo for months that I never got around to finishing!
20:25 UtahDave sroegner: mako is an option.
20:25 kedo39 thanks!
20:25 whiteinge sroegner: i haven't played around with the jinja alternatives much at all. the "official" formulas should stick with jinja (for better or worse) :)
20:25 kedo39 i've just been doing nothing but salt stuff for the past week heh
20:25 sroegner UtahDave: i was under the impression mako was more or less a no-no for formulas
20:26 UtahDave sroegner: Yeah, anything for the formulas repos should be jinja
20:26 sroegner UtahDave: right
20:27 sroegner UtahDave: maybe it's time someone said "i don't mind jinja"
20:27 whiteinge sroegner: the jinja-distraction aside, i do like the pattern. basically it's a way to massage the data before including it into something that is "import-able", is that about right?
20:28 sroegner whiteinge: exactly - mix grains and pillars and get around the limitations in pillar files
20:29 sroegner whiteinge: and on the side it helps tremendously with cross-formula consistency
20:32 bhosmer_ joined #salt
20:32 sroegner whiteinge: i wouldn't mind seeing the formulas in the central repo at some point if that is an option
20:32 forresta kedo39, sounds like a fun week then
20:32 vortec joined #salt
20:33 vortec does the watch command get activated when the watched file is a symlink and the targetted file has been changed?
20:33 whiteinge sroegner: i added you to the github org. you should have powers to transfer them when you're ready
20:34 sroegner whiteinge: thanks a lot
20:34 whiteinge sroegner: note, they definitely don't need to be "finished". getting 'em on the org means more eyeballs and more contributors :)
20:34 forresta sroegner, I like the settings.sls (sorry just catching up now)
20:34 sroegner forresta: glad to hear
20:35 forresta as a question, what made you decide to do it that way, as opposed to a pillar specifically for that formula?
20:35 forresta maybe you answered that above
20:35 * whiteinge ponders how plausible it would be to express the settings.sls file in python using the #!py renderer...
20:35 forresta ekristen, as far as I know if you supply a deb and an RPM as the sources, it will not install properly
20:37 sroegner forresta: i needed a way to have params be either grains or pillars because we use salt-cloud with the make_master option (so salt-cloud provisions a master for each cluster)
20:38 forresta sroegner, ahh ok
20:38 psyl0n joined #salt
20:39 sroegner forresta: i am kinda working my way back out of pillars somewhat because i cannot afford to maintain a pillar git project for every cluster
20:39 forresta Understandable
20:39 jdenning Quick interest poll for my SaltConf presentation (Dynamic Infrastructure, Messages and Events with SaltStack Reactor - which is a slightly inaccurate title BTW, not sure why it was edited) - would people have more interest in (a)Integration w/ GitHub to auto-build & deploy code; or (b)Integration with AWS CloudFormation to auto-configure new nodes (using a custom CFN resource) ?  [Please include "jdenning" in your response]
20:40 sroegner forresta: and the settings.sls allows to go back and forth on what you have where without touching the interface data structure
20:40 forresta sroegner, yea absolutely
20:40 whiteinge jdenning: what should the title be? i can pass the correct one upstream
20:41 sroegner whiteinge: regarding your py renderer idea - maybe i try and see what that looks like
20:41 forresta jdenning, I think it depends, if you want it to be more accessible, I feel like the github integration would be more relevant, if you want to target amazon specifically, then the aws stuff might be better. It might be worth reviewing the conference page, as I think there's already an amazon one.
20:41 jdenning whiteinge: I would probably cut the "Reactor" from the end, as I will mostly be using the 0MQ queue directly
20:41 whiteinge roger
20:43 jdenning forresta: Right, that's why I thought I'd ask about the interest level..personally, I think the custom cloudformation resource is cooler, and there's less info out there about it, but it *is* only useful to people using AWS (or to a lesser extent OpenStack)
20:43 forresta man sroegner, now I am thinking about incorporating some of that into my talk, which means even more work, damn you!
20:43 forresta jdenning, right.
20:43 sroegner forresta: :-P
20:43 jdenning I'll be talking about a couple of other, less-detailed use cases as well, just trying to nail down the "fancy" one :)
20:43 forresta jdenning, yea
20:44 jdenning whiteinge: thanks!
20:44 jdenning forresta: What's your presentation?
20:44 forresta Salt Formulas and States
20:44 forresta it's more of an beginner/intermediate level talk
20:45 forresta formulas aren't very widely used/implemented, so I want to get them out there more
20:45 jdenning Cool - I definitely like the formula concept
20:45 forresta yea for sure
20:45 forresta it's one of those things that brings salt to the next level in terms of functionality and ease of use
20:46 jdenning forresta: Out of curiosity - do you use GitFS for your states?
20:46 forresta I only work on salt in my free time, so not right now.
20:47 forresta I pull stuff in from github for my blog
20:47 forresta but I don't use gitfs directly for the fileserver stuff
20:48 jdenning that's my main deviation from the formula layout - I have all my states in one git repo, and use the GitFS system so that different branches are different environments..I haven't found a really manageable way to keep formulas isolated in individual repos..
20:48 cachedout joined #salt
20:49 forresta You mean in regards to having all formulas in a single branch?
20:49 unixpenguin joined #salt
20:50 forresta vortec, I believe that the watch would be watching the ID itself, so if that 'block' changes, it would then notify it as a change.
20:50 jdenning Well, it's kind of the general problem of including sub-repos in a git repo, it never works quite how I want it to..
20:50 forresta vortec, you'd have to test it to be sure though.
20:50 forresta jdenning, ahh yea I gotcha, I'm bad about that
20:50 vortec ok thanks
20:50 forresta np, sorry for the delayed response.
20:51 forresta jdenning, honestly I still can't get that to work properly most of the time
20:51 bhosmer joined #salt
20:59 tdilly joined #salt
21:02 diegows joined #salt
21:07 xmltok_ joined #salt
21:10 tdilly I'm trying to setup a Windows Software Repository, everything seemed to go smoothly up until I try to a 'pkg.available_version' or 'pkg.install'. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, these are the commands I'm running on the master: http://pastebin.com/4uH89gfx
21:10 Ahlee ok, so why isn't my top.sls in master being read for a server in a environment
21:10 Ahlee My understanding was all top.sls files got mashed together
21:11 Ahlee that does not appear to actually be happening
21:11 Ahlee after removing all non-master top.sls files, I now get : Comment:   No Top file or external nodes data matches found
21:11 timoguin Actually, Ahlee, I think it's that you can either have 1 top.sls, or the top.sls in each environment ONLY matches minions for that environment
21:12 timoguin i've heard of people having the top.sls only in the base environment
21:12 jacksontj joined #salt
21:14 UtahDave tdilly: try adding -t 20  after those commands
21:14 cym3try joined #salt
21:15 william_20111 joined #salt
21:16 viraptor joined #salt
21:16 ndrei joined #salt
21:16 tdilly UtahDave: thanks, so you mena to run it like this -> "salt win08test pkg.available_version 'vcredist2010' -t 60"? The results appear to be the same
21:17 UtahDave tdilly: OK.  Try running your  minion in a terminal in debug mode.
21:18 UtahDave in other words,   the salt-minion service, open a terminal by right clicking "run as administrator"  then   c:\salt\salt-minion -l debug -c c:\salt\conf
21:18 UtahDave and then run those commands from the master
21:19 william_20111 joined #salt
21:19 UtahDave back in a bit. meeting
21:22 TomasNunez joined #salt
21:23 cym3try joined #salt
21:24 tdilly UtahDave: The output from the minion: http://pastebin.com/RsW7YM7K, I'm going to try my best to get it figured it before you get back :)
21:25 forresta tdilly, that paste was removed
21:27 tdilly forresta: both seem to be working for me still? I'll repost the links: http://pastebin.com/4uH89gfx (commands) http://pastebin.com/RsW7YM7K (output)
21:27 phillu joined #salt
21:29 forresta oh a comma got in there somehow, sorry
21:31 phillu hey guys
21:31 forresta tdilly, seems odd it's giving an invalid mode, is the file owned/accessible by the user running the command?
21:31 forresta phillu, hi
21:31 cym3try joined #salt
21:34 tdilly forresta: the security settings on winrepo.p seem OK, I'm running as Administrator, and "SYSTEM" and "Administrators" have "Allow" for all permissions except "Special permissions"
21:34 forresta I mean the software repo
21:34 forresta it's on the master under /srv/salt/win/repo/zxy right?
21:34 tdilly forresta: Oh, sorry lemme check
21:34 pdayton joined #salt
21:35 forresta no worries
21:35 forresta just weird that it's saying the winrepo.p file has the wrong mode or something
21:36 cachedout Actually, NM.
21:36 forresta cachedout, wrong window?
21:37 cachedout Guh. Sorry. Friday brain.
21:37 forresta It's not quite time to go home yet
21:37 cachedout I am at home! (But working.)
21:37 phillu i have a problem with my saltstack deployment. i followed the walkthrough in the docs, running a seperate master and minion on ubuntu 12.04. Everything works fine until i try to send a comand to my minion. It doesnt respond and the "test.ping" comand doesnt return anything. Debug on minion repeatedly show this: http://pastebin.com/FTX7qWe8 . firewall ports are open and netstat shows a connection between the servers. any help?
21:37 forresta phillu, looks like you didn't accept the key, run salt-key -L on the master.
21:38 forresta phillu, and which walkthrough are you following?
21:38 phillu key is accepted. on master, salt-key -L lists minion under "accepted"
21:38 tdilly I do not have the software repo in  /srv/salt/win/repo/, I updated it to a location where I already had all of the .exe files. I updated the master config to account for it though: win_repo: '/var/lib/repo-access/repos/windows'
21:38 forresta if you could provide the link that would be awesome
21:38 phillu forresta: http://docs.saltstack.com/topics/tutorials/walkthrough.html this walkthrough
21:38 ekristen what does salt do if a package is already installed on a server that you add as a minion?
21:38 forresta phillu, try ls /etc/salt/pki/minion
21:38 forresta what's in there?
21:39 forresta ekristen, it will see that it is already installed, and won't install it.
21:39 forresta tdilly,  so is the windows item your actual windows repo file?
21:40 phillu forresta: ls /etc/salt/pki/minion >>>> minion.pem  minion.pub
21:40 forresta ok, does your minion.pub have the key for the minion in there?
21:40 ekristen does salt master track the current status of minions or is it unaware of current status, like what has and hasn’t been done to a minion?
21:40 tdilly forresta: I'm not sure I follow? What do you mean by "windows repo file"? I have the sls files for the packages in git.
21:41 ekristen I know with Chef the chef server doesn’t know anything about the current state of a server
21:41 phillu forresta: public key is in there
21:41 forresta tdilly, you need a package definition file, look at the second paragraph here: http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/windows-package-manager.html#usage
21:41 phillu forresta: should i check if its the same as on the master?
21:41 forresta phillu, are you currently looking at the minion?
21:42 phillu forresta: yes
21:42 forresta ekristen, correct, neither will salt. But when you try to install, it won't install the package because it is already installed when it queries against yum or apt or whatever.
21:42 forresta phillu, ok so you ran salt-key -L from the master though correct?
21:42 phillu forresta: yipp :)
21:42 forresta and the netstat on the master as well?
21:42 phillu yes
21:43 ekristen forresta: ok
21:43 forresta hmm, it should have been picked up, can you run salt '*' test.ping -l debug on the master please?
21:43 forresta phillu ^
21:44 forresta ekristen, I believe it will report back as 'complete' however since it technically IS installed, but I don't remember 100%
21:44 forresta you'd have to try it
21:44 tdilly forresta: Yeah, I have those definitions in git and updated "win_gitrepos", this is the relevant portion of my master config: http://pastebin.com/KyPsHnW1
21:44 ekristen forresta: np thanks
21:44 forresta ekristen, no problem!
21:45 phillu forresta: http://pastebin.com/H4F8mMdM output of salt '*' test.ping -l debug
21:46 forresta phllu, can you try to restart the minion and master services?
21:46 forresta *phillu
21:47 phillu forresta: done
21:47 forresta still seeing the machine as accepted in salt-key -L?
21:47 forresta on the master that is
21:47 phillu forresta: yes
21:48 forresta phillu, and the output from salt '*' test.ping?
21:48 diegows joined #salt
21:48 phillu forresta: stayed the same...
21:48 forresta ok, try salt '*' test.ping -t 10
21:49 pdayton joined #salt
21:49 phillu no output from that
21:50 forresta tdilly, I still don't get why we can't read the repo file, why is it trying to access salt://win/repo/winrepo.p when you specifically redefined it in your config? Did you restart the service after making the win_repo change?
21:50 forresta phillu, ok can you hop on the master
21:50 forresta err sorry minion
21:50 forresta and telnet over to 4505 and 4506 on the master?
21:50 forresta I know you are seeing them in netstat
21:52 phillu forresta: just a moment...
21:54 tdilly forresta: I restarted the master and minion. when the debug output says " Fetching file ** attempting ** 'salt://win/repo/winrepo.p'" It means that it is trying to fetch "/win/repo/winrepo.p" on the master?
21:54 phillu forresta: both ports connect fine with telnet
21:54 forresta tdilly, I would think so, but I don't know. I'm not very familiar with the windows component
21:55 forresta phillu, ok, take a look at /etc/salt/pki, one of the subdirectories in there (having a hard time remembering off the top of my head, I think it is minion), and see if the keys are in there please.
21:57 phillu forresta: yes private + public key files are in there
21:57 forresta ok, try salt-key -d 'nameofkey'
21:58 gadams999 joined #salt
21:58 phillu forresta: wait, wut? are we still on the minion?
21:58 forresta and then restart the minion service, go back to the master and do salt-key -L, then salt-key -a 'nameofminion'
21:58 phillu forresta: i dont have that command on the machine
21:59 forresta on the master I mean
21:59 BenCoinanke_p joined #salt
21:59 psyl0n joined #salt
21:59 forresta so we wanna trash the key on the master, restart the minion service, then re-accept on the master
22:00 jacksontj joined #salt
22:00 phillu forresta: done
22:00 forresta ok can you test.ping it now?
22:00 tdilly forresta, UtahDave, thanks for all of your help! Gotta head out though, I'll try again Monday and maybe make some better progress
22:01 forresta tdilly, ok let me know if you figure it out
22:01 tdilly will do!
22:01 phillu forresta: nope, still the same output as pasted with the "-l debug" options :(
22:01 forresta just nothing coming back huh?
22:01 phillu and no return*
22:01 forresta what provider is this on?
22:02 phillu you mean cloud provider? its a private cloud running openstack
22:02 forresta and when you run netstat -aln from the master, do you see an established connection from the minion on the appropriate port?
22:02 forresta phillu, ok cool
22:03 bhosmer joined #salt
22:04 phillu forresta: a tcp connection to port 4506 is established...
22:04 phillu from the minion
22:04 forresta hmm
22:04 forresta what release of salt is this
22:04 phillu salt --version salt 0.17.4
22:04 forresta ok
22:05 forresta alright I'm trying to think
22:05 forresta what else could cause that error
22:05 phillu im very grateful for the help! ty very much
22:06 forresta phillu, yea np, I just wish I knew why it wasn't working.
22:06 sroegner forresta: remember your suggestion to write the settings file for my formulas in py?
22:06 BenCoinanke joined #salt
22:06 forresta sroegner, that was actually whiteinge :P
22:06 sroegner oops
22:06 forresta but, YES I REMEMBER THIS INCREDIBLE SUGGESTION I MADE TO YOU!
22:06 sroegner lol
22:07 sroegner how do i express the variable export in python?
22:07 sroegner the part that (in a jinja sls) is done with set
22:07 forresta ok phillu, let's start with the basic stuff. you have machine saltmaster, and machine saltminion, what OS are these machines? Did you make any changes between installing the master and minion, and accepting the keys configuration wise?
22:07 kermit joined #salt
22:08 forresta sroegner, I have no idea
22:08 sroegner ok
22:09 forresta I imagine whiteinge is probably in that same meeting that UtahDave is
22:09 forresta when you figure it out though, more examples for the python dsl docs would be really awesome.
22:09 sroegner indeed
22:09 sroegner it's kinda sparse
22:09 forresta yea
22:09 forresta I don't think it's been updated in a while, so that's probably why
22:10 phillu forresta: the image is a fresh ubuntu 12.04 cloud image. both are fresh spawned instances. just changed the "master: " option on the minion to the ip address of the master... not using dns...
22:11 phillu forresta: brb, trying something
22:11 forresta ok
22:11 forresta sroegner, could it be as simple as calling it like a normal python variable?
22:12 forresta sroegner, like this example https://salt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ref/renderers/all/salt.renderers.pydsl.html#special-integration-with-the-cmd-state
22:12 forresta granted that's for command, but stil
22:12 forresta *still
22:13 martoss joined #salt
22:14 sroegner forresta: the thing is that my current solution doesn't have any highstate data which is what all the examples involve
22:14 diegows joined #salt
22:14 ndrei joined #salt
22:15 * Gareth hacks on a bind formula
22:15 phillu forresta: hm... i changed the master ip in the minion configuration file to the private ip of the master (was using a floating ip), but it didnt change anything
22:16 dave_den woo! happy new year
22:16 phillu forresta: this is really strange... and i dont know how to troubleshoot it further because there are no error messages or anything...
22:16 danielbachhuber joined #salt
22:17 brawd joined #salt
22:20 bhosmer_ joined #salt
22:20 forresta phillu, yea it's very odd. As lame as it is, can you try a tcpdump during the test.ping call to see if there's actuall traffic being sent to the minion from the master? I just don't get why the key wouldn't be considered accepted
22:20 forresta basepi are you around?
22:20 basepi forresta: indubitably.
22:20 jergerber joined #salt
22:20 brawd left #salt
22:21 forresta basepi, fresh installs of two ubunti 12.04 machines, running salt 0.17.4, master and minion are working, key is accepted on the master, and the key is showing up in the pki dirs, yet when running test.ping, the following comes back on the minion: http://pastebin.com/FTX7qWe8
22:22 forresta and there is an established connection to the master on 4506 right phillu?
22:22 basepi i think there might be an open issue......sec
22:22 forresta basepi, I don't really want to step into tcpdump territory if we can avoid it, but we've restarted both services, dropped the minion, restarted it, and rejoined it.
22:22 forresta ahhh cool
22:22 forresta that would make me feel better.
22:22 phillu forresta: description of the problem is correct ;)
22:23 forresta cool
22:24 basepi hrm, maybe i'm smoking something, i can't find it
22:24 phillu well, http://pastebin.com/FTX7qWe8 is not returned, its just the debug output of the minion... test.ping doesnt return anything, just gives me a new prompt
22:25 forresta http://pastebin.com/H4F8mMdM
22:25 forresta that was the output of -l debug on the minion
22:25 basepi phillu: have you tried deleting and recreating the keys?  https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/6861
22:26 basepi (we still don't know what the root cause of that issue is, but i'm curious if it's related)
22:26 basepi ah, nvm, that's a reject
22:26 basepi not a hang
22:26 forresta basepi, we dropped the key with -d and rejoined it, but same thing, maybe it's holding it in the master cache?
22:27 basepi possible.  i would recommend deleting the key on both the master *and* the minion just to rule that out
22:27 forresta good idea
22:27 basepi minions installed via bootstrap?  ppa?
22:27 forresta phillu would have to confirm that one.
22:27 phillu via the installation scripts found here: http://docs.saltstack.com/topics/installation/index.html
22:27 forresta bootstrap then.
22:28 forresta he's good to trash everything under /etc/salt/pki right basepi? brain fart friday it seems.
22:28 basepi alright, and the bootstrap script should have gotten the packages from the ppa......
22:28 basepi yes.
22:28 phillu kk
22:28 forresta try that then phillu, remove the key with salt-key -d 'nameofminion', then trash everything on both the master and minion under /etc/salt/pki
22:28 forresta restart services, and then try to rejoin
22:28 phillu k, sec
22:30 phillu okay, done that. salt-key -L shows me an unaccepted key
22:31 forresta ok, so accept that with -a
22:32 phillu hm... test.ping still returns nothing
22:32 martoss1 joined #salt
22:32 forresta same error on the minion?
22:34 phillu yeah minion is still just saying http://pastebin.com/UFresQ3n
22:34 phillu so no change there
22:36 pdayton joined #salt
22:36 forresta sroegner, I don't know if I can accept this invite on linkedin, my list of people is pretty full of terrible recruiters... :P
22:36 forresta not sure if there is room for actual IT people
22:36 sroegner lol
22:37 sroegner up to you
22:37 phillu lol :D
22:37 forresta phillu, can you enable debug logging in the master and minion conf files?
22:40 forresta then restart the master/minion service, and let's try the test.ping again
22:40 forresta to see what happens
22:40 phillu forresta: sure, on master its "log_level: "? is it the same on minion?
22:41 forresta I believe so
22:41 forresta I'd have to double check the dovs
22:41 forresta *docs
22:41 jfzhu_us joined #salt
22:42 forresta yea it's log_level, try setting that to debug
22:42 forresta I think there's a line above the option which says what the available levels are
22:43 phillu in master yes, but the minion config file doenst contain it
22:45 forresta phillu, maybe you have to add it then
22:45 forresta http://docs.saltstack.com/ref/configuration/minion.html#log-level
22:45 forresta claims that it is an available option
22:45 phillu yeah already did, working fine
22:45 phillu okay i will paste the master debug output while sending the command
22:46 forresta ok cool, you restarted the services after doing that right?
22:46 phillu yipp
22:46 forresta sweet
22:46 phillu http://pastebin.com/fsXNftWK master output
22:47 forresta oh woah woah
22:47 forresta user sudo_ubuntu
22:47 forresta are you not running this as root?
22:48 phillu as a sudo su ...?
22:48 phillu oh damn... dont tell me thats the problem :(
22:48 forresta haha, did you install as a non-root user?
22:49 phillu i sudo'ed all of it
22:49 forresta hmm
22:49 forresta can you try the steps here http://docs.saltstack.com/topics/nonroot.html
22:49 forresta or add some acls for your user for those files
22:49 forresta basepi, have you installed salt via the walkthrough using only sudo commands before?
22:50 forresta I've never done that
22:50 basepi forresta: as opposed to su-ing to root?
22:50 forresta yea
22:50 basepi erm......guess i'm not sure
22:51 basepi i want to say i've done it with sudo
22:51 basepi but can't say for sure
22:51 forresta basepi, hmm ok
22:51 forresta [INFO    ] User sudo_ubuntu Published command test.ping with jid 20140103224349042758
22:51 basepi do we think that's the problem?
22:51 forresta I noticed that in the debug log output
22:51 basepi i've definitely done salt commands with sudo
22:51 forresta basepi, I'm not sure yet, I've asked phillu to try doing the nonroot steps to see if that works, it would make sense if it was trying to run as that user and couldn't access the proper dirs.
22:51 basepi and i think i've done an ubuntu install with sudo
22:51 forresta hmm
22:52 forresta you're killing all the ideas for solutions here basepi! :P
22:52 basepi ha!
22:52 basepi i would still recommend trying it to make sure it's not the problem
22:52 forresta yea for sure
22:53 forresta the pastebin http://pastebin.com/fsXNftWK doesn't seem to correlate to that being the problem
22:53 cb you don't even set an root-pw when installing ubuntu iirc
22:53 martoss joined #salt
22:53 forresta but maybe it's not getting logged.
22:53 forresta phillu, could you also try sudo'ing TO the root user, and trying the command again?
22:54 phillu the commands dont work when i'm not root, thats why im working with "sudo su" all the time
22:55 phillu so all the commands you told me to run where run with root
22:55 forresta hmm, why does that pastebin shows it running as the sudo_ubuntu user
22:55 phillu i changed the user to non-root in the config
22:56 phillu hm... i dont know ...
22:56 phillu okay
22:56 phillu now the log show the correct user
22:57 forresta as root?
22:57 phillu "User ubuntu Published command saltutil.find_job with jid 20140103225644501590"
22:57 forresta is that your user?
22:57 phillu yes
22:58 forresta and still the same error
22:58 phillu yepp, no change
22:58 forresta and you chowned those directories, and restarted the master service
22:58 phillu yes
22:58 forresta what happens if you sudo su - to the root user
22:58 forresta and run the test.ping?
22:59 forresta asme thing?
22:59 forresta *same
22:59 forresta or were you saying above you did switch to root, and not just sudo 'command'?
22:59 phillu thats what i wanted to say ^^
23:00 forresta hmmmm
23:00 forresta I'm stumped man
23:00 forresta can you make a post on the mailing list?
23:00 forresta maybe someone has an idea
23:00 forresta but my brain is all out
23:00 phillu yeah i can do that...
23:00 forresta https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/salt-users
23:00 phillu i will deploy the same setup, same images, same tutorial on aws and see whats happening there...
23:01 troyready joined #salt
23:01 phillu i have a bad feeling its openstack
23:01 phillu hm
23:01 forresta phillu, ok, I'll probably be around later tonight. Let me know
23:01 forresta if it happens on both environments, and it's specifically when you use the sudo command to perform everything maybe that is something we need to look at more closely
23:01 forresta if it is an openstack issue, we still need to confirm it isn't a problem with how salt is interacting.
23:02 phillu true
23:02 phillu again, thank you very very much for the time and help... not very common ;-)
23:03 forresta yea np, the joys of a slow friday afternoon, let's me be a bit more active in the IRC :P
23:06 oz_akan_ joined #salt
23:06 martoss joined #salt
23:10 druonysuse joined #salt
23:10 druonysuse joined #salt
23:13 pass_by_value joined #salt
23:15 diegows joined #salt
23:20 thrashr888 joined #salt
23:22 phillu forresta: aws works fine.
23:32 fllr joined #salt
23:33 diegows joined #salt
23:34 pdayton joined #salt
23:35 jcsp joined #salt
23:35 mwmnj joined #salt
23:36 BenCoinanke joined #salt
23:43 Gifflen joined #salt
23:46 martoss joined #salt
23:48 Gifflen joined #salt
23:52 Gifflen joined #salt
23:55 fllr joined #salt
23:56 DanGarthwaite joined #salt
23:57 diegows joined #salt

| Channels | #salt index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary