Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #webwork, 2012-05-31

| Channels | #webwork index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:59 JohnTravis joined #webwork
02:00 mgage_ hi
02:00 JohnTravis hey
02:00 JohnTravis updating the WebWork::Clinton google doc as requested by Bob Anastasio
02:01 JohnTravis Getting ready to make plane reservations for Mathfest/Winona.  Trying to decide whether to look for a late flight out on the 8th or wait till the 9th.
02:06 mgage_ 9th might work better -- I looked a while ago and they were expensive.  I looked last night quickly and they were more expensive.  at least out of LaCross -- Madison wasn't bad
02:12 JohnTravis They have gone up for me by about $100 from a couple of weeks ago.  Now around mid-$500s.  Might spend a little extra to get a better schedule.  All of the cheap ones have two stops.
02:13 mgage_ same here
02:15 JohnTravis Lacrosse was closest.  What was the next closest?
02:15 mgage_ rochester, MN
02:16 JohnTravis Might actually make some sense to stay in an airport hotel on Wednesday night to make is easier to get to the airport for an early Thursday flight.
02:16 mgage_ I have considered renting a car in Madison and driving back there to leave -- do you remember how a long a drive that is?  it's probably too long -- but I might reconsider if we are going to need an extra car anyway to get people from Madison to Winona
02:17 mgage_ I don't think flying out of Rochester, MN was cheaper than LaCross
02:21 JohnTravis Madison to Winona is 164 miles
02:21 mgage_ that's not so bad
02:21 JohnTravis lacrosse MN is 39 miles
02:22 JohnTravis Rochester is 52 miles
02:22 JohnTravis For me, there is only one return flight out of lacrosse and it starts at 6:30am with three legs.  Tough to get there when you have a 45 minute drive from our hotel too.
02:23 mgage_ hmm -- I thought lacross, at least the airport was closer than that, but I could easily be wrong.  Last time I went t winona I flew in to Rochester, MN and then felt a little foolish because lacross was closer.
02:23 mgage_ yes
02:24 JohnTravis airport is a little closer because it is on the northwest side of Lacrosse
02:24 mgage_ brb
02:25 JohnTravis (When you get back).  I see.  Winona mid city to AIRPORTS is 55 Rochester and 27 LaCrosse.
02:26 JohnTravis Minneapolis is 132 miles
02:40 JohnTravis It wouldn't make any sense for Jason to drive us to Madison on his way home since it would add 150 miles or so to his trip.
03:59 theseb left #webwork
12:48 JohnTravis joined #webwork
14:11 aubreyja joined #webwork
14:54 mgage_ hi
15:03 JohnTravis hey mike. Are we meeting today?
15:03 mgage_ yes -- i think so
15:04 JohnTravis Ok.  I'll move to my office.
15:04 mgage_ kk
15:10 JohnTravis joined #webwork
15:10 aubreyja Oops - meeting - calling in now!
15:11 mgage_ 11:30 you can wait
15:11 aubreyja oh, sorry right
15:11 mgage_ a few  minutes
15:11 aubreyja back -
15:11 aubreyja quick question -
15:11 mgage_ ?
15:12 JohnTravis oh?
15:12 aubreyja We noticed today that on gateway versions if a student tries to print a gateway from the list of sets it throws an error
15:12 aubreyja but students can print from inside the gateway test itself (if it's allowed by the instructor)
15:12 aubreyja I'm wondering if the option to print from the list of sets should even be there -
15:13 mgage_ I suspect that's not new behavior -- although it might be a change introduced when grant added the make_text() commands.
15:13 aubreyja that's what I'm wondering - checking it now on courses...
15:18 aubreyja Yeah, same error: an't call method "hide_work" on an undefined value at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Hardcopy.pm line 216.
15:19 mgage_ bug report it -- either to bugzilla or to github/openwebwork  issues
15:19 mgage_ we can deal with it at code camp -- might be a good medium easy project
15:19 aubreyja will do
15:19 aubreyja do we want to use bugzilla or github as our primary bug db?
15:22 mgage_ good question -- I'm thinking that for the NPL we might want to use github issues -- since I think we can set that up so that there is a lower barrier to reporting errors (i.e. no email address required)
15:23 mgage_ any chance that the three of us can go through the current bugzilla list soon and do some kind of triage to get it ready for code camp?  -- I'm not sure the best way to do that -- but something that would allow us to clean out the back log
15:25 aubreyja I can spend some time on that today or early next week of course - I think I'll be out of the office tomorrow (-> 6 Flags with kids)
15:26 mgage_ cool
15:27 JohnTravis coasters!
15:28 aubreyja is there an environment variable I can access in a problem that indicates if the set is a homework set or a gateway
15:28 mgage_ not sure -- run PGinfo.pl
15:29 aubreyja (I'd like to disable ProblemRerandomize for gateways)
15:29 aubreyja (without having to create new versions of problems that use it)
15:29 aubreyja looking…there seems to be a QUIZ_PREFIX - mabye that's it -
15:30 aubreyja calling in
15:30 mgage_ yes -- but it would be better to have an explict variable set
16:27 lanc joined #webwork
16:41 aubreyja Nandor?
16:41 mgage_ I don't think he is on
16:44 aubreyja should we add him - he wrote a bunch of problems and some new macros a while back
16:44 aubreyja oh, Paul?
16:44 mgage_ yes -- he is a good candidate.  Paul Pearson is on the list already isn't he?
16:46 mgage_ nandor has been intensely active off and on -- it would be nice to get him involved again.  -- still need to consider the size of the group -- use your judgement
16:50 aubreyja let's see if I have this right Re: Christian, if he just adds Inline::Python to the $pg{modules} list, then he can write a macro file which instantiates an Inline::Python object and then write wrapper subroutines for the things he wants to do with it - is that right?
16:51 mgage_ I think so.  He might want to make some other perl calls that don't work well in Safe, so he could put those in a PGPython.pm file (that uses Inline::Python)  -- did you see my reply to his post?
16:51 aubreyja also, does he even need wrapper sub routines? I mean if his macro file exports the functions he wants to use and he loads the macro, then he gets those functions
16:52 aubreyja ah, no, looking now
16:53 mgage_ that's possible -- I haven't yet completely absorbed how Inline::Python works.
17:25 aubreyja I just put up another reply - does it sound reasonable to you?
17:27 mgage_ the use Inline::Python line will get caught by Safe if it is in inline_python.pl
17:28 mgage_ you could also put the macro file in your course templates/macros files  while you are experimenting -- but that's probably not important
17:28 aubreyja even if the macro is in pg/macros/  - I though I saw an example that did something similar
17:28 mgage_ I don't think so the macro files are run through Safe,  the lib files are not.
17:29 aubreyja ah, right - the lib file needs to create the Inline::Python thing - well, I gave plenty of disclaimers :)
17:29 mgage_ also $python_code = <<'End_Python';   -- you need the = sign
17:30 aubreyja I wrecked my laptop webwork by trying to switch to Homebrew from macports
17:31 mgage_ it's possible that it would run because you have already included Inline::Python.  it would work if you can figure out how to include more python code into the Inline::Python namespace after you have already "used" the module
17:31 aubreyja so I can't test things like this today
17:32 mgage_ yeah -- spent part of weekend rebuilding mine also.  It was fairly straightforward to simply add all the necessary modules from cpan to snow leopard
17:33 mgage_ what I had to be careful about was using the correct perl and cpan -- I want the ones in /usr/bin not the ones in /opt/local/bin  that had been aliased for me by Tom Haggedorn's script for setting things up from macports.
17:34 mgage_ I now have everything working pretty well with native mac software.   My one problem is that dvipng is producing fuzzy images -- I haven't tracked that down yet -- possibly recompiling dvipng would do that.
17:34 aubreyja Did you get netpbm from macports? The homebrew version is broken. I compiled it from source but haven't installed it yet
17:35 mgage_ oh -- and you also have to look carefully at your path to make sure you aren't linking to /opt/local/lib   binaries.  (in retrospect I should have taken that directory completely out of my path -- or else moved the directory or both.
17:35 mgage_ not sure -- hand on a sec
17:36 aubreyja I completely wiped out every trace of macports when doing this.
17:37 mgage_ I've got a /usr/local/libnetpm.a   which must have either come from homebrew or from the native mac software. I don't think macports would put anything there
17:38 aubreyja the homebrew version doesn't compile for me on 10.7.4 - is that snow leopard?
17:39 mgage_ no -- that's lion.  my version is 10.6.8
17:39 mgage_ won't upgrade that until after the code camp
17:39 aubreyja I think that's the only thing I can't get from homebrew, cpan, or native mac
17:40 mgage_ what does locate libnetpbm show
17:41 mgage_ I might have installed it using fink  long ago
17:41 aubreyja nothing - I think /usr/local/ is empty by default
17:43 aubreyja even though the homebrew version didn't compile, the source code did compile so I'll have it up again soon
17:43 mgage_ kk
17:46 mgage_ re Inline::Python -- I think you might want to use the py_eval ruotine -- see "do-it-yourselfer's guide to inline::Python"
19:13 Guest80396 joined #webwork
20:16 mgage__ joined #webwork
20:17 mgage_ joined #webwork
20:38 mgage_ there is a message from Michael to read as well
20:38 mgage_ aubreyja: hi
20:39 aubreyja just reading through it
20:41 aubreyja I hope the "typographical streamline" goes smoothly...
20:41 mgage_ I'm not here -- I know nothing about it :-)
20:41 aubreyja :)
21:45 mgage_ aubreyja: sent you something like the final letter to sent out for WW::Rochester code camp
21:46 aubreyja I'll take a look - just sent you a draft of the winona invite - I was going to send it out after our call but phone call, meeting, etc…
21:49 aubreyja looks good  - Should we do a web-conference Monday or Tuesday for whoever can make it, or do you think it's too late?
21:49 aubreyja brb
21:50 mgage_ I'm thinking of doing a google hangout -- maybe more than one -- over the next 4 or 5 days -- part of the reason I want their gmail addresses.
21:51 mgage_ it's late but perhaps not too late
21:52 mgage_ ok I made a few quick comments -- looks good over all.
21:52 mgage_ I just sent it back.
22:00 aubreyja back - thanks - sending these out now
22:12 aubreyja should I cc MP on these?
22:25 mgage_ sorry -- the dog has been waiting all day for me to take him around the block. :-)   sure why not -- show him we're busy.
22:26 mgage_ aubreyja:  going downstairs to eat but I'll be working this evening -- I'll also have ichat up

| Channels | #webwork index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary