Perl 6 - the future is here, just unevenly distributed

IRC log for #webwork, 2012-08-16

| Channels | #webwork index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:12 aubreyja joined #webwork
01:38 Paul_Pearson joined #webwork
01:42 paultpearson joined #webwork
01:47 JohnTravis joined #webwork
01:49 Paul_Pearson joined #webwork
02:05 paultpearson joined #webwork
02:06 Paul_Pearson joined #webwork
02:06 Paul_Pearson joined #webwork
02:11 Paul_Pearson joined #webwork
03:54 Paul_Pearson joined #webwork
04:08 djun joined #webwork
05:55 Paul_Pearson joined #webwork
13:01 djun joined #webwork
14:30 aubreyja joined #webwork
14:30 aubreyja joined #webwork
14:37 djun joined #webwork
16:26 djun joined #webwork
17:40 goehle joined #webwork
17:40 goehle Hey aubreyja
17:41 aubreyja Hey
17:41 goehle I came across a wierd thing
17:41 aubreyja sup?
17:41 goehle one of the profs at my school was using the library browser
17:41 goehle and all of his graphs were coming up as the same image
17:41 goehle one particular graph from some other problem was being shown as any graph
17:41 aubreyja ooh, some of those were probably not accurate
17:41 aubreyja :)
17:42 goehle well, I looked at the same problems in the browser
17:42 goehle and I saw the correct graphs
17:42 goehle and after I had him clear his cache he saw the correct graphs too
17:42 aubreyja the original library browser?
17:42 goehle yeah
17:42 aubreyja ah, was he using IE?
17:42 goehle he was
17:42 aubreyja ok, I noticed a similar behavior with IE looking at student problems with graphs
17:43 aubreyja using ProblemRerandomize.pl
17:43 aubreyja they don't regenerate either.
17:43 goehle it sounds like the same issue
17:43 aubreyja I looked for a workaround on the web, it's clearly another f-up by IE
17:44 aubreyja the problem is it doesn't behave the same way as other browsers wrt refreshing the cache
17:44 goehle ah, that would do it
17:44 aubreyja I think we could add refresh headers or no-cache headers to the request
17:45 aubreyja I looked into this and tried a few - something like this should work but I never found a solution
17:45 aubreyja (I didn't look all that long though)
17:45 goehle I never use IE so I hadn't noticed it
17:45 aubreyja me either
17:46 aubreyja so, one thing that would solve this is the following
17:46 aubreyja right now images are generated as something like courseID.userid.setid.problemid.png
17:47 aubreyja most browsers manage to notice if the image is new even if it has the same name
17:47 aubreyja to fix the i.e. bug, we could have ww generate a random name (e.g. sha1 hash) each time
17:47 aubreyja that I think is the solution Mike was suggesting whenI discussed it with him
17:49 goehle it was wierd though
17:50 goehle oh wait
17:50 goehle what are images generated for the library browser called?
17:51 aubreyja well, the are assigned to an anonymous set…lemme check
17:51 goehle in any case the hash thing should take care of the problem
17:53 aubreyja now I can't find an image problem anywhere in the library :)
17:54 goehle thats how it goes
17:54 goehle I was looking in precalculus, functions
17:54 goehle http://webwork2.wcu.edu/webwork2_course_files/Math146Fall12Section1/tmp/gif/grgoehle-1234-setUndefined_Setprob6image1.png
17:54 aubreyja yes, aubreyja-1234-setUndefined_Setprob6image1.png
17:54 goehle ok, so thats where the conflict was coming from
17:55 goehle ie had something called .... Setprob6.... and didnt want to update
17:55 goehle the hash thing *should* fix that though
17:55 aubreyja right. You could even add something like .time()
17:55 aubreyja and put a time stamp on it
17:55 goehle yeah,
17:56 aubreyja So, I thought this was a clever idea - our College Algebra coordinator is moving to webwork and is doing a lot of customizing.
17:57 goehle ok
17:57 aubreyja In particular she wanted it to say "Homework & Quizzes" instead of "Homework Sets", "Preview My Answers" instead of "Preview Answers", etc
17:57 goehle So a lot of cosmetic changes, but stuff that tends to be hard coded into the perl
17:57 aubreyja so, I just gave her her own po file to customize, and ta-da, now she can put whatever the heck she wants
17:58 aubreyja the only catch is they have to have two letter names, so hers, based on her initials, is tc.po
17:58 goehle is .po the localization stuff?
17:58 aubreyja and she can select it in the course configuration area and use it for just her course without affecting other courses
17:58 goehle that is clever
17:59 aubreyja well, really, it's sort of the true meaning of 'localization'
17:59 goehle *very* local
18:00 aubreyja And, she's super convinced now that she's getting better service that with mymathlab :)
18:01 aubreyja One thing that would be nice is if people could somehow edit these from within their courses.  Maybe I'll add a course config tab that allows instructors to go through a form and change strings
18:01 goehle I hadn't had that request before but now that you say it, it does seem like soemthing people might want to do
18:15 goehle man, another question, seem to be getting a lot of them
18:15 goehle so, I'm trying to use iframe to embed a youtube video
18:15 goehle when I use the problem editor and click view everything comes up fine
18:15 goehle but when I just look at the problem using the link in the set page the iframe comes up as text, not a tag
19:21 aubreyja goehle -back
19:22 goehle I figured it out I think :)
19:24 aubreyja I always just do this:
19:24 aubreyja https://gist.github.com/3372878
21:53 Paul_Pearson joined #webwork
22:42 djun joined #webwork

| Channels | #webwork index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary